PDA

View Full Version : Big Baby Davis Was Taken 35'th

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I said at the time and I'm going to repeat it now, how do you get Big Baby at 35? How?

Sanity
05-11-2009, 09:09 PM

Cause hes the spawn of Satan

Nets fan 93
05-11-2009, 09:09 PM
He only developed his J this summer....Im pretty sure...35 for an undersized over weight PF sounds right

KG5MVP
05-11-2009, 09:10 PM
maybe you should think about KG being his coach

gyu
05-11-2009, 09:10 PM
He only developed his J this summer....Im pretty sure...35 for an undersized over weight PF sounds right
Correct.

OneMoreSucka
05-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Because he was fat as hell and no one wants a fatass on their team.

pete's montreux
05-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Definitely developed a jumper this summer. Which you could see was improving, literally, from week to week during the regular season. There was a stretch of about 4-5 games where I don't think he missed a jumper.

godofgods
05-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Cause hes the spawn of Satan

That would be Kobe dude. He scored 81 in his 666th game.

Sanity
05-11-2009, 09:32 PM

Correction, Kobe is Satan :D

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Seeing as he was drafted 2 years ago and you joined the board a month ago, something here doesn't add up.

What does me joining a month ago have to do with big baby davis's draft position? If you don't like me Jazzy, that's cool, cuz you like Karl Malone, the most over rated MVP in history, and we aren't supposed to like eachother. But hey, just say it if that's what it is. What per chance, does not add up?

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 09:34 PM

Are you serious? If thats not a quip thats freaky.

iamgine
05-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Things I've learnt from this thread: Big Baby Davis is the child of Kobe Bryant and that white hoe.

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 09:46 PM

He developed a jumper only this summer.

Big Baby's skills for a big man his size were off the charts out of college. Being fat didn't stop him from being a dominant college player. Being fat didn't stop Chuck from being one of the best 4's ever.

I mean, seriously, did anyone think he couldn't learn to hit a jumper? Even at a large weight in college he was still a very good athlete and used his size/speed to create mismatches no one could handle. How many guys with his weight/size advantage could finish at the rim like him out of college? And you know, slim fast is cheap. ;0

I still don't get how you get him at 35. How do you seriously sit there and say oh yea, Petteri Koponen, lets take him when a proven star is still there. I don't even know how you take immobile Nick Fazekes over him or the chairman who went a silly 5'th. Or even Corey Brewer. That draft year is one of the serious mysteries to me.

I just don't understand how people worked him out and didn't see how well his skills translated to the NBA game.

GOBB
05-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Overweight, undersized PF with conditioning issues. Not as athletic as his peers in the draft class. Wasnt coming off a spectacular college season entering the draft where his stock was much higher a year prior. Teams have experiemented with players Big Baby size and saw it not work out, see Tractor Traylor.

Where should he have gone in your eyes? There have been greater steals in the 2nd round so this isnt some tragic situation to see him go early 2nd round.

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 09:49 PM
maybe you should think about KG being his coach

KG for sure had a great effect on him but its not like other teams didn't have options to put him with a great mentor to coach him. There are plenty of those guys around.

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Overweight, undersized PF with conditioning issues. Not as athletic as his peers in the draft class. Wasnt coming off a spectacular college season entering the draft where his stock was much higher a year prior. Teams have experiemented with players Big Baby size and saw it not work out, see Tractor Traylor.

Where should he have gone in your eyes? There have been greater steals in the 2nd round so this isnt some tragic situation to see him go early 2nd round.

Borderline lottery, that's where he should have gone. How is being the reason your team makes the final four not spectacular? Tractor Trailer was a fat joke... he had none of Davis's skills or mobility.

GOBB
05-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Big Baby's skills for a big man his size were off the charts out of college. Being fat didn't stop him from being a dominant college player. Being fat didn't stop Chuck from being one of the best 4's ever.

There is no comparison from Charles Barkley to Glen Davis lets make that clear. And being fat and dominant in college doesnt always transition well when you are 6'8, 6'8 at best weighing close to if not over 300lbs. Good for college not good for the NBA. Smarten up.

I mean, seriously, did anyone think he couldn't learn to hit a jumper? Even at a large weight in college he was still a very good athlete and used his size/speed to create mismatches no one could handle. How many guys with his weight/size advantage could finish at the rim like him out of college? And you know, slim fast is cheap. ;0

He had a set jumper in college. Really not much elivation on his shot due to his weight. He got away with playing like a guard as a big man but he would never get away with that in college. There are alot of things Big Baby was able to do/get away with in college he wouldnt in the NBA. That all went against him come draft time where you look for player with potential that have high ceilings. What mismatches does Big Baby create being a overweight, undersize PF?

Yes slim fast is cheap. Cute. :rolleyes:

I still don't get how you get him at 35. How do you seriously sit there and say oh yea, Petteri Koponen, lets take him when a proven star is still there. I don't even know how you take immobile Nick Fazekes over him or the chairman who went a silly 5'th. Or even Corey Brewer. That draft year is one of the serious mysteries to me.

Potential its that simple. Nick wasnt undersized. Corey Brewer was one of if not the best perimeter defender in college.

Proven star is who? Big Baby? lol Surely this isnt a knee jerk reaction from hitting a GWer and having some productive games for Boston. Nah you're smarter than that.

I just don't understand how people worked him out and didn't see how well his skills translated to the NBA game.

Because Big Baby at that time didnt look like Big Baby today.

GOBB
05-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Borderline lottery, that's where he should have gone. How is being the reason your team makes the final four not spectacular? Tractor Trailer was a fat joke... he had none of Davis's skills or mobility.

You are wrong.

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 10:01 PM
You are wrong.

No, I'm totally right. Robert Traylor was not that kind of athlete. He moved in slow motion. He didn't make up and under reverse layups to avoid shot blockers and get the and 1. You're wrong gobby.

miniharrison37
05-11-2009, 10:04 PM
He's overweight. Can't run. At LSU wasn't very good at shooting.

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 10:11 PM
There is no comparison from Charles Barkley to Glen Davis lets make that clear.

They're different players but being fat does not mean you're going to be a poor NBA player like you guys used as justification, and Barkley is a great example of that arguably being the GOAT 4. And he'd lost like, 40 pounds since HS.

He had a set jumper in college. Really not much elivation on his shot due to his weight. He got away with playing like a guard as a big man but he would never get away with that in college. There are alot of things Big Baby was able to do/get away with in college he wouldnt in the NBA. That all went against him come draft time where you look for player with potential that have high ceilings. What mismatches does Big Baby create being a overweight, undersize PF?

Uh, yea, he's doing it all in the NBA. Being 6'8", heavy and as mobile as he was made him nearly unguardable. He went around other 4's/5's and overpowered 3's.

Potential its that simple. Nick wasnt undersized. Corey Brewer was one of if not the best perimeter defender in college.

Proven star is who? Big Baby? lol Surely this isnt a knee jerk reaction from hitting a GWer and having some productive games for Boston. Nah you're smarter than that.

Because Big Baby at that time didnt look like Big Baby today.

Wow, college players don't look the same as they do after 2-3 years in the NBA? REALLY? His potential absolutely did look like that though while those other guys looked totally questionable. You just said that a 310 lb player who played like a guard wasn't athletic. Do you know how dumb that is?

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 10:16 PM
He's overweight. Can't run. At LSU wasn't very good at shooting.

Heh, he was over weight. But how can you say he couldn't run? He was as unique an athlete as there was. I mean, you can look at things two ways. 1. he's fat. or 2. if he plays like this now, what happens when he drops another 30 pounds?

And to those who are saying he only developed this summer, Big Baby was winning games for the Celtics in their playoff run last year too. Is it that tough for you guys to admit your fave teams just screwed up?

BigOjMayo
05-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Correct.

No. Incorrect. He had the skills. He had the tenacity. And he's a winner. 25? yes. 35? HELL NO.

Mateo
05-11-2009, 10:17 PM
If you look at his entire career, and not just his most recent FGA, as short as it's been that sounds about right. Remember that the first half of this season or so he was arguably the worst rotation player in the league.

Jailblazers7
05-11-2009, 10:19 PM
He had a fantastic season and really stepped it up when KG went down. It miffs me that this thread is made because of one shot though. People suddenly think he's the steal of the century because of one wide open jumper.

GOBB
05-11-2009, 10:22 PM
No, I'm totally right. Robert Traylor was not that kind of athlete. He moved in slow motion. He didn't make up and under reverse layups to avoid shot blockers and get the and 1. You're wrong gobby.

You clearly didnt watch him in college.

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 10:23 PM
No. Incorrect. He had the skills. He had the tenacity. And he's a winner. 25? yes. 35? HELL NO.

Exactly, it was a really strong draft so ok, he slips to the 20's. I understand taking Noah over him. Durant/Horford sure. Oden I spose you had to. But Mike Conley Jr 5'th and Acie Law 11'th over a guy with that kind of coordination, a fully developed array of offensive moves and played with heart? How can you look at a guy like that, fat or not, and say "I don't think he's got it in him to lose 30 pounds of blubber when he'll be playing a game 3 nights a week." How?

I'm just saying, I know all the reasons given so far. I didn't accept them then. I don't accept them now. 35'th and he's looking like he ceiling is getting higher with every game.

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 10:26 PM
He had a fantastic season and really stepped it up when KG went down. It miffs me that this thread is made because of one shot though. People suddenly think he's the steal of the century because of one wide open jumper.

I told you, I said it on draft day just as loudly.

What about when he saved the Celtics from elimination last year then? We can talk about that. How do you take that guy 35'th? And seriously? One shot? He's not just covering KG's spot... the celtics are going to him and he carries that team for long stretches. Its all the same player.

Jailblazers7
05-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Exactly, it was a really strong draft so ok, he slips to the 20's. I understand taking Noah over him. Durant/Horford sure. Oden I spose you had to. But Mike Conley Jr 5'th and Acie Law 11'th over a guy with that kind of coordination, a fully developed array of offensive moves and played with heart? How can you look at a guy like that, fat or not, and say "I don't think he's got it in him to lose 30 pounds of blubber when he'll be playing a game 3 nights a week." How?

I'm just saying, I know all the reasons given so far. I didn't accept them then. I don't accept them now. 35'th and he's looking like he ceiling is getting higher with every game.

Coming out of college he was a streaky shooter, less than stellar defensively, and had poor stamina. His weight fluctuated in college and scouts had no reason to believe that would change. No coach wants their young PF coming into camp 30 lbs. overwieght. He showed signs of brillance in college but he wasn't consistent enough. He always had a good heart and motor which has served him well. Now that he is in shape and can knock down the open jumper he is a very good role player.

GOBB
05-11-2009, 10:27 PM
You just said that a 310 lb player who played like a guard wasn't athletic. Do you know how dumb that is?

How is it dumb? You have trouble taking college and the NBA game. Teams didnt want a big man his size, undersized trying to take guys off the dribble and not play to his strengths which is downlow, around the basket. He wasnt Charles Barkley with handles here. Hardly dumb. It seems you didnt watch much beyond the hype of the Final 4. It seems you struggle to evaluate a player in college and how his game would make the transition to the pro game. To me thats dumb. Dumb is acting like Tractor Traylor wasnt a mobile big man at Michigan.

Seriously 1 shot and you are making this thread with silly statements. What team should have drafted him indie? Tell me. You ask why Corey Brewer got drafted higher. What was Florida doing with Brewer? Brewer was shutting down offensive players. He was a big part of Floridas dominance. You use the final 4 nonsense with Big Baby, but ignore Brewers impact at Florida?

Mateo
05-11-2009, 10:28 PM

Wow, I don't know what you expect from your 35th pick, but it doesn't automatically mean you suck. Even in these playoffs, where Davis is playing his best ball of his career..... he's averaging 6rpg in 37mpg. That's not bad, that's not even terrible... it's atrocious for a PF. So while he's scoring fairly well... he's not doing anything you should be proud of out of a late first round pick.

GOBB
05-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Coming out of college he was a streaky shooter, less than stellar defensively, and had poor stamina. His weight fluctuated in college and scouts had no reason to believe that would change. No coach wants their young PF coming into camp 30 lbs. overwieght. He showed signs of brillance in college but he wasn't consistent enough. He always had a good heart and motor which has served him well. Now that he is in shape and can knock down the open jumper he is a very good role player.

:applause:

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 10:30 PM
If you look at his entire career, and not just his most recent FGA, as short as it's been that sounds about right. Remember that the first half of this season or so he was arguably the worst rotation player in the league.

Hmm... I remember him playing really limited minutes with Eddie House at point cuz the celtic's second unit was poorly constructed, yea. I don't remember him being the worst rotation player in any league. I'm not sure what kind of game you expect when a guy gets 15 minutes a game in garbage time cuz the starters have teams in the coffin before the 3'rd quarter is over.

Jailblazers7
05-11-2009, 10:30 PM
I told you, I said it on draft day just as loudly.

What about when he saved the Celtics from elimination last year then? We can talk about that. How do you take that guy 35'th? And seriously? One shot? He's not just covering KG's spot... the celtics are going to him and he carries that team for long stretches. Its all the same player.

Carrying the team for long stretches? When was this? He has been an important contributor but he is asked to carry the team. Ever. All he is asked to do is space the floor by hitting jumpers and rebounding the ball.

Jailblazers7
05-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Btw, your statement of "I've been praising him since before the draft" automatically loses credibility when you make a thread about it only after makes the biggest shot of his career.

DCL
05-11-2009, 10:36 PM
the original poster is either talking out of his own fat ass or maybe he was just really confused with the past. but either way, he probably could had looked some things up if he wasn't so concerned with asking stupid ass questions and being ignorant.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Glen-Davis-420/

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 10:38 PM
How is it dumb? You have trouble taking college and the NBA game. Teams didnt want a big man his size, undersized trying to take guys off the dribble and not play to his strengths which is downlow, around the basket. He wasnt Charles Barkley with handles here. Hardly dumb. It seems you didnt watch much beyond the hype of the Final 4. It seems you struggle to evaluate a player in college and how his game would make the transition to the pro game. To me thats dumb. Dumb is acting like Tractor Traylor wasnt a mobile big man at Michigan.

Seriously 1 shot and you are making this thread with silly statements. What team should have drafted him indie? Tell me. You ask why Corey Brewer got drafted higher. What was Florida doing with Brewer? Brewer was shutting down offensive players. He was a big part of Floridas dominance. You use the final 4 nonsense with Big Baby, but ignore Brewers impact at Florida?

You are dumb Gobb. This is exactly the kind of player I envisioned Big Baby to be. Why didn't you see it? Traylor had none of Baby's game. His game was because he was massive. Baby was big but had finesse and did things no one his size ever did.

Brewer? He was donig his job with Noah, Al Horford and Chris Richard totally dominating the paint. Its kind of easy to guard people when you can get up in their jock cuz you know and they know the blow by is actually a poor shot for them. There's another doozy. How in the name of god do you take Brewer over Noah? So silly NBA GMs.

pete's montreux
05-11-2009, 10:40 PM
No Kendrick Perkins? No Big Baby. I don't think Boston drafts Big Baby if Perk isn't on our roster.

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 10:44 PM

If you didn't notice he's been much more then a role player. He's holding his own vs quite competent opposition and is a scoring force the celts that keep them in games. I'm not sure what scouts were looking at cuz lots of people saw he was going to be a legit player who cared about the game. He literally cried like a baby after losses and people are like "he's fat, he'll never care enough to drop a few pounds."

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 10:45 PM
No Kendrick Perkins? No Big Baby. I don't think Boston drafts Big Baby if Perk isn't on our roster.

? That's interesting. Why not?

GOBB
05-11-2009, 10:49 PM
How in the name of god do you take Brewer over Noah? So silly NBA GMs.

Quite simple when you have Al Jefferson downlow and your team lacks a SF, perimeter defender. Brewer was guy to get. His defense was well documented but most notably he entered the draft improving his offense that season. Why take Noah? Explain that from Minny's perspective please.

pete's montreux
05-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Well, It's painfully obvious that Big Baby pretty much ignored all his coaches/trainers advice to maintain a strict workout regiment, and lose weight. Not only for himself to be healthier, but for his game. Up until the pros, he was able to mask his weight problems with pure basketball skill, but 300 pounds in the NBA? Not gonna happen, sorry.

But think about Perk. He came into the league a fat piece of sh*t, in the same physical situation as Big baby. And by himself, developed a mindset to get healthy, and lose weight. I read an article last year in which the Celtics trainers say that Perk is probably the hardest working big man in the NBA. He works out constantly. He's the first one in the gym, and the last one to leave. He worked himself to the bone and now is in incredible shape compared to his first two seasons.

I think Baby needed someone his age to kick him in the a**. He needed a peer, a fellow fat baller to influence him, and Perk was the perfect guy for that job. Now? Perk took him under his wing and now they work out together. I've read about Baby complaining and Perk telling him he's gonna whoop his ass if he doesn't come work out. It's like a father/son relationship. Perk is pushing him to get healthy and lose weight.

I bet my life that this exact thought crossed everyone's mind in the draft room. I think they thought Perk was responsible enough to guide Big Baby in the right direction.

Book it. In two years, as long as both our on the same roster, Baby will lose weight, add muscle, and be much healthier.

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 10:56 PM
the original poster is either talking out of his own fat ass or maybe he was just really confused with the past. but either way, he probably could had looked some things up if he wasn't so concerned with asking stupid ass questions and being ignorant.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Glen-Davis-420/

That's exactly what I'm talking about. One freking game and its like "oh no, he's too fat, he can't play." UCLA was the best defensive team in basketball and made the final two years in a row. Its not really surprising they outplayed a weaker LSU team. Beyond being supremely athletic and their huge front line they had A'Moute(who's one of the best defenders in the NBA in his rookie season)/Affollo/Farmer who shut down LSU's offense and had as much to do with Davis's game as his own play.

Rose-2-Wolfe
05-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Yadda, yadda, yadda, blah, blah, blah.............................................. ..................................

Ramble, ramble, ramble, mental illness is so sad, blah, blah, blah, hey-o, hey-o, hey-o.....................................
.................................................. ...............................

I still don't get how you get him at 35. (Big Baby)How do you seriously sit there and say oh yea, Petteri Koponen, lets take him when a proven star (Big Baby!!!) is still there. I don't even know how you take immobile Nick Fazekes over him or the chairman who went a silly 5'th. Or even Corey Brewer. That draft year is one of the serious mysteries to me.

I just don't understand why I need to take my medication every day. I mean, I feel fine. So what is the problem? I am not crazy, YOU are the one that is crazy!!! Yeah, ha ha, I know your secrets ISH. I think these doctors are in some kind of conspiracy with Jeff/ISH to get me. Paranoia? Yeah, sure...I know what you none of you know. I have the secret formula. I talked to Aristotle. I can predict the future you fools! If you wear tin-foil on your heads like me you can escape the frequencies from the evil mastermind that steals your life-force and fulfill your super-hero powers like me and Big Baby!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The voices wont stop! ARRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Well, that was an interesting post. Bib Baby a proven star huh?:hammerhead:

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Quite simple when you have Al Jefferson downlow and your team lacks a SF, perimeter defender. Brewer was guy to get. His defense was well documented but most notably he entered the draft improving his offense that season. Why take Noah? Explain that from Minny's perspective please.

1. drafting for position is patently a fail. Ask the blazers, Sam Bowie and Michael Jordan.

2. If #1 wasn't true (it is), then how do you explain taking Yi over Noah. Or Coneley?

3. Ok. Noah/Jefferson. You now have the paint almost every game on both ends of the floor. But that doesn't matter because they didn't even have Al Jefferson when they drafted Brewer. KG's front court mate was either Mark Blount or Eddie Griffen. If they took Noah you know what? That's instantly a top defensive team. Its pretty easy to trade for a wing defender guy. At that time Ron Artest was incredibly available. Could you cast off your dead weight of Mike James/Troy Hudson if you package him with Randy Foye? Most likely and presto changeo, you've got a devastating team thats a half way decent point away from being elite but can win on defense alone anyway. You still have KG and, well, I'm done. You still have KG. Case closed.

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Wow, I don't know what you expect from your 35th pick, but it doesn't automatically mean you suck. Even in these playoffs, where Davis is playing his best ball of his career..... he's averaging 6rpg in 37mpg. That's not bad, that's not even terrible... it's atrocious for a PF. So while he's scoring fairly well... he's not doing anything you should be proud of out of a late first round pick.

Menh, its not bad at all when your center is beasting it and your point grabs 10 a game himself. They're not asking him to focus on rebounding so he's not getting as many of them. Theres nothing atrocious about that.

indiefan23
05-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Well, that was an interesting post. Bib Baby a proven star huh?

20/10 SEC player of the year and pushed his team to a final four they really should not have been in. How is he not?

GOBB
05-11-2009, 11:27 PM
1. drafting for position is patently a fail. Ask the blazers, Sam Bowie and Michael Jordan.

2. If #1 wasn't true (it is), then how do you explain taking Yi over Noah. Or Coneley?

3. Ok. Noah/Jefferson. You now have the paint almost every game on both ends of the floor. But that doesn't matter because they didn't even have Al Jefferson when they drafted Brewer. KG's front court mate was either Mark Blount or Eddie Griffen. If they took Noah you know what? That's instantly a top defensive team. Its pretty easy to trade for a wing defender guy. At that time Ron Artest was incredibly available. Could you cast off your dead weight of Mike James/Troy Hudson if you package him with Randy Foye? Most likely and presto changeo, you've got a devastating team thats a half way decent point away from being elite but can win on defense alone anyway. You still have KG and, well, I'm done. You still have KG. Case closed.

Minnesota got Al Jefferson not too long after the draft. KG trade rumors were intense and it was evident he would not be with the Wolves in the 07-08 season. KG was not in the plans anyonre. There is no you draft Noah and end up keeping KG. :oldlol:

Brewer was not so much just position but he raised his stock so much that year where Noah didnt. Noah should have left for the draft a year earlier. Staying he didnt do anything to justify going higher. Taking Brewer, Yi, Conley was not a sin at the time. Conley came out and was overrated given the fact he was the only top PG in that draft. So he made out. Yi had a better skillset than Noah. Noah didnt improve his offensive game. Had he it would have helped.

Right now what exactly does Noah do on offense? Reliable jumper? Whats his range? Can he put the ball on the floor and take his man off the dribble? How is his low post game? Footwork in the post? If Noah had all this then Chicago isnt needing a low post interior scorer. But alas thats something they lack.

Noah is a good hustle player, active on the glass and a solid defender. What vast improvements has Noah made offensively since being drafted? Case closed. Now its still time for Noah to develop but the point remains to why he didnt go as high as YOU think he should. I also recall his attitude being in question, turnoff to teams.

Brewer has been a bust, but hindsight is always 20/20. At the time his stock was sky high and he didnt disappoint scouts leading up to draft.

It seems you had your head up your ass back then. :confusedshrug:

JayGuevara
05-11-2009, 11:28 PM
:confusedshrug: I'll ignore international picks that were more of a "question mark", but Boozer, Arenas, Rashard, Mo Williams etc were all second round picks also. I think Boozer, Arenas, and Rashard were before 35, but I think Mo Williams was like 49 or something?

And they're all players that have accomplished a helluva lot more than Big Baby, so him being a second round pick really isn't that much of an injustice.

Hammertime
05-11-2009, 11:29 PM
What does me joining a month ago have to do with big baby davis's draft position? If you don't like me Jazzy, that's cool, cuz you like Karl Malone, the most over rated MVP in history, and we aren't supposed to like eachother. But hey, just say it if that's what it is. What per chance, does not add up?

You claim to have said at the time that he was a steal at 35. I simply pointed out that if you're going to make a "told you so" thread on a message board, you ought to be able to prove the "told" part first.

GOBB
05-11-2009, 11:30 PM
20/10 SEC player of the year and pushed his team to a final four they really should not have been in. How is he not?

Now tell the board what Big Baby did the following season. I notice you never make reference to that. You know the SEASON that led up to the draft where he went in the 2nd round.

17-15 record 5-11 SEC conference. Thats what your proven star did.

GOBB
05-11-2009, 11:32 PM
:confusedshrug: I'll ignore international picks that were more of a "question mark", but Boozer, Arenas, Rashard, Mo Williams etc were all second round picks also. I think Boozer, Arenas, and Rashard were before 35, but I think Mo Williams was like 49 or something?

And they're all players that have accomplished a helluva lot more than Big Baby, so him being a second round pick really isn't that much of an injustice.

You claim to have said at the time that he was a steal at 35. I simply pointed out that if you're going to make a "told you so" thread on a message board, you ought to be able to prove the "told" part first.

:oldlol:

indiefan23
05-12-2009, 01:58 AM
You clearly didnt watch him in college.

I clearly did. And he was significantly smaller then Daivis as well.

indiefan23
05-12-2009, 02:19 AM

Yea, but those guys were undersized for their respective positions much more then Davis.

And come on, a lot more in their second year? So far big baby has contributed signifigantly to a championship run and has done a solid job of replacing KG and carries the Celtics for long stretches every game when they go to him.

6'1" Mo Williams was traded from Utah after they let him play garbage time in 57 games and then took minutes from Mike James on a terrible 30 win Bucks team.

6'3" Areanas played in 47 games scoring 11 PPG on an even more dreadful 21 win Warriors team and the second/third option on a still losing 38 win team the next year. He improved lots but Davis is doing great on a playoff team.

Boozer was the 6'th option behind stars such as Jumane Jones, Darius Miles, and Djuan Wagner on a torrid 17 win Cleveland team that tanks to win LBJ the next year. They got LBJ and he improved lots, but he was still on a 35 win losing team and was still the fourth option. And then he deserted his team like a ***** cuz he didn't want to play in Lebron's shadow and win like crazy with him. And like I said, Glen Davis is still doing great in his second year on one of the best teams in the league.

All that aside, how does Boozer being a steal negatively affect big baby's status as anything? I never claimed he was even better then those guys. I just said how do you let a guy that talented drop to 35'th? Its silly. Davis 'is' an athletic freak. You show me another 340 lb dude who's 6'8" in shoes who can dunk in HS. I was shocked when I saw the mock drafts and didn't believe it. I was shocked when he actually dropped further to 35. I said 'Wish I was a Celtics fan' when they finally picked him up.

indiefan23
05-12-2009, 02:28 AM
Now tell the board what Big Baby did the following season. I notice you never make reference to that. You know the SEASON that led up to the draft where he went in the 2nd round.

17-15 record 5-11 SEC conference. That's what your proven star did.

Yea, as if losing Tyrus Thomas had nothing to do with that. It was all his fault right? You guys are not even trying to appear fair. The fact you're here disagreeing with me is actually support for what I'm saying.

indiefan23
05-12-2009, 02:34 AM

Are you a robot thats been programed to generate irrelevant responses? If you're going to post on an internet forum you ought to be able to prove you have a brain first. Why not go to some Deron Williams is better then CP3 thread so rational fans can laugh at you.

indiefan23
05-12-2009, 02:39 AM
Minnesota got Al Jefferson not too long after the draft. KG trade rumors were intense and it was evident he would not be with the Wolves in the 07-08 season. KG was not in the plans anyonre. There is no you draft Noah and end up keeping KG. :oldlol:

Brewer was not so much just position but he raised his stock so much that year where Noah didnt. Noah should have left for the draft a year earlier. Staying he didnt do anything to justify going higher. Taking Brewer, Yi, Conley was not a sin at the time. Conley came out and was overrated given the fact he was the only top PG in that draft. So he made out. Yi had a better skillset than Noah. Noah didnt improve his offensive game. Had he it would have helped.

Right now what exactly does Noah do on offense? Reliable jumper? Whats his range? Can he put the ball on the floor and take his man off the dribble? How is his low post game? Footwork in the post? If Noah had all this then Chicago isnt needing a low post interior scorer. But alas thats something they lack.

Noah is a good hustle player, active on the glass and a solid defender. What vast improvements has Noah made offensively since being drafted? Case closed. Now its still time for Noah to develop but the point remains to why he didnt go as high as YOU think he should. I also recall his attitude being in question, turnoff to teams.

Brewer has been a bust, but hindsight is always 20/20. At the time his stock was sky high and he didnt disappoint scouts leading up to draft.

It seems you had your head up your ass back then. :confusedshrug:
You're actually more stupid then Sir Charles, aren't you.

Toizumi
05-12-2009, 03:29 AM
For the same reason Michael Redd was taken 43rd overall and Kwame Brown 1st overall. Sometimes it's just hard to tell how guys are going to turn out at the pro level... Davis has exceeded expectations. He was drafted this low because of some poor outings and because he's a overweight... I went to look for his draft profile and one of them included this piece..

[QUOTE]After appearing to make some serious headway in his bid to prove that he is an NBA caliber player with an outstanding tournament run thus far, Glen Davis was completely exposed against UCLA and might have damaged his stock beyond repair for this year

indiefan23
05-12-2009, 05:20 AM
For the same reason Michael Redd was taken 43rd overall and Kwame Brown 1st overall. Sometimes it's just hard to tell how guys are going to turn out at the pro level... Davis has exceeded expectations. He was drafted this low because of some poor outings and because he's a overweight... I went to look for his draft profile and one of them included this piece..

I dunno, this is exactly what his career was looking like when I watched him in college. Very solid contributor to allstar ceiling.

I do have to say though that I think he needs lots of minutes to get the engine firing smoothly. Some guys are Vinne Johnson and some are Iverson.

Who's gonna spend a lottery pick on someone who's draft profile includes that posted above? Baby might have very well turned out to be the 2nd Mike Sweetney.. :violin: Congrats to him doing his thing in the league though :applause:

Yea, I spose, but seriously that's just one game against a far superior team. I would not call the UCLA front court weak by any means. That was a very athletic and capable team. They shut down players much more potent then Big Baby. And seriously, I watched games when he didn't seem to have any problems at all.

I dunno, the tourny does funny things. Its just kind of surprising how many teams lose their faith in their own ability to rate talent and go on a few games. Sometimes of course you can tell that a player is just made for big games and its reasonable to raise their stock. Dwyane Wade for example.

Agreed though. I'm happy to see anyone succeed. That shot marks a return to the scorer he was in college.

Toizumi
05-12-2009, 05:33 AM
I dunno, this is exactly what his career was looking like when I watched him in college. Very solid contributor to allstar ceiling.

I do have to say though that I think he needs lots of minutes to get the engine firing smoothly. Some guys are Vinne Johnson and some are Iverson.

Yea, I spose, but seriously that's just one game against a far superior team. I would not call the UCLA front court weak by any means. That was a very athletic and capable team. They shut down players much more potent then Big Baby. And seriously, I watched games when he didn't seem to have any problems at all.

I dunno, the tourny does funny things. Its just kind of surprising how many teams lose their faith in their own ability to rate talent and go on a few games. Sometimes of course you can tell that a player is just made for big games and its reasonable to raise their stock. Dwyane Wade for example.

Agreed though. I'm happy to see anyone succeed. That shot marks a return to the scorer he was in college.

It's not just that he underperformed in that one game. Him being overweight was the scary part. At just 6'8/6'9 and with a lack of conditioning I think GM's were scared to draft him and put him up against the strongest, quickest, tallest basketball players in the world. :confusedshrug:

He has proven them wrong though for picking him so late. I don't see him as an all star calibre player, but who knows? :confusedshrug: he might prove me wrong.

:cheers:

indiefan23
05-12-2009, 07:12 AM
It's not just that he underperformed in that one game. Him being overweight was the scary part. At just 6'8/6'9 and with a lack of conditioning I think GM's were scared to draft him and put him up against the strongest, quickest, tallest basketball players in the world. :confusedshrug:

He has proven them wrong though for picking him so late. I don't see him as an all star calibre player, but who knows? :confusedshrug: he might prove me wrong.

:cheers:

That's just his ceiling. I have a lot of belief in players who are able to show major improvement. I'm also a believer in huge moments altering your career. I think that one shot he hit is the first you've seen of a new Big Baby. You could see it in his eyes, he wants more of that.

Sriracha
05-12-2009, 07:43 AM
Oh my, so is Glenn Davis now a star?

indiefan23
05-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Oh my, so is Glenn Davis now a star?

What, you're not impressed with his progress?

Heh, honestly man, the moment you have official 'haters' I think it does mean you're a star.

TruthKGRay3412
05-12-2009, 10:17 AM
What, you're not impressed with his progress?

Heh, honestly man, the moment you have official 'haters' I think it does mean you're a star.

Glen Davis can have infinity haters and he still will never be a star.:lol

BBD will be a solid role-player in this league for a long time if he stays in shape IMO.

pegasus
05-12-2009, 11:52 AM
I said at the time and I'm going to repeat it now, how do you get Big Baby at 35? How?

Because he is "big" and not in a good way. :lol

John Smith
05-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Two Words:

Contract Year

Same goes for Leon Powe.

JohnnySic
05-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Playing for a contract doesn't make jumpshots go in. Davis has progressed substantially from last year. He wont be a star but he'll be a useful role player for many years.

GOBB
05-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Yea, as if losing Tyrus Thomas had nothing to do with that. It was all his fault right? You guys are not even trying to appear fair. The fact you're here disagreeing with me is actually support for what I'm saying.

:roll: Tyrus Thomas? Come on you hyped up saying he led LSU to the Final 4 as a PROVEN STAR. Tyrus Thomas leaves (and he came on late in LSU season when they went to the final 4) and "Aww you guys arent fair". I mean its Big Baby. The guy you said DOMINATED college. Why does Tyrus Thomas leave and Big Baby cant DOMINATE COLLEGE AND LEAD LSU AS THIS PROVEN STAR?

Explain how PATHETIC that record was. I mean you CLAIM to have seen him in college. Now is your chance to prove it. Fair? You're being ridiculous asking why did he go 35 when i explained to you why. Just because you dont want to ACCEPT it doesnt mean it isnt the real reasons. Nor legit ones at that.

Even Carlos Boozer a projected lottery pick slid to the 2nd round. Now he is an AS caliber player. Gilbert Arenas went 2nd round, another projected lottery pick who is an AS caliber player. Glen Davis isnt an AS caliber player. But you're in here throwing a bytch fit.

Tell me what teams should have drafted him. Sixers (they were a team interested in him with thier 2nd 1rst round pick) were turned off by his weight and conditioning which was poor at the time. Throw in he was undersized. And due to his weight didnt get much lift in his shots or at the basket. You dont think THIS + the season he had with LSU had ANYTHING to do with him going 35? Of course not. You dont use your brain.

You're actually more stupid then Sir Charles, aren't you.

You cant refute anything. I suggest your silly ass flash back to Florida 2006-07 season and tell me during the SEC tournament and NCAA tournament who was HUGE for the Gators. It wasnt Noah but somehow Noah should have gone over Corey Brewer because well you said so. You give no argument whatsoever. KG was going to be TRADED so you saying KG and Noah would do this and that is meaingless. Minny lacked a SF, perimeter defender. This kid was talented, had a high ceiling and was the best perimeter defender in college bball shutting down some good scorers. He improved his offense which helped him play an integral part in FU.

But yeah why did Noah lower than Brewer. Do you have a clue to his scouting report? I would assume no since you obviously didnt have it for Glen Davis. Smarten up kid and use the common sense GOD gave you.

gyu
05-12-2009, 02:31 PM
indiefan is pretty much just giving us a re-do of the draft of 07.
Thanks, I guess. :confusedshrug:

Hammertime
05-12-2009, 02:33 PM
indiefan is pretty much just giving us a re-do of the draft of 06.

Isn't it shocking how all of us on the board know exactly whom the GMs should have drafted 3-4 years ago? Makes you wonder why NBA clubs don't just do their hiring on ISH.

GOBB
05-12-2009, 02:38 PM
indiefan is pretty much just giving us a re-do of the draft of 07

statman32
05-12-2009, 02:42 PM
- He weighed 310-340 lbs for most of his senior season
- His back to the basket game was non-existant while his shot wasnt good either.
- He was used as a star player and would have to work at being less fancy and playing within a team system as a role player
- He had shown he was soft which earned him the nickname "Big Baby"
- Doesnt have long arms
- Many thought of him to be the next Tractor Taylor

He will never be a star player, nor a full-time starter on a good team. If you want to talk about steals in that draft talk about Dominic McGuire, Marc Gasol, Ramon Sessions. How in the hell did they drop so far when I knew they would contribute to NBA teams and in the case of Gasol and Sessions, have potential to be borderline stars? :rolleyes:

gyu
05-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Btw how is he only averaging TWO more rebounds a game in SIXTEEN more minutes a game?

BRINKER
05-12-2009, 03:15 PM
DeAndre Jordan was taken 35th.

Jordan > Baby

Godfather
05-12-2009, 04:29 PM
I don't think he was picked too low at all.

He is a terrible defender and has one of the worst rebounding rates of all forwards.

The fact he has developed his wide open jumpshot is impressive enough to warrant a lottery pick :rolleyes:

GOBB
05-12-2009, 04:32 PM

He is a terrible defender and has one of the worst rebounding rates of all forwards.

The fact he has developed his wide open jumpshot is impressive enough to warrant a lottery pick :rolleyes:

No, the fact he hit a GW shot that spawned this thread is impressive enough to warrant late lottery pick.

indiefan23
05-14-2009, 12:06 PM

I thought he was a steal on draft day too but that was a cuz of lots of game winning shots he made before then. Big baby was an athletic freak and that's by NBA standards.

indiefan23
05-14-2009, 12:08 PM

Big Baby's touch around the rim is fantastic and his moves are solid. He's not the best rebounder ever but part of that is because the rest of the celtics rebound so well too. A terrible defender? Why's that? I don't see him get abused by many at all.

indiefan23
05-14-2009, 12:16 PM
DeAndre Jordan was taken 35th.

Jordan > Baby

4 points and 4 boards on the freaking clippers? I don't think so. And jordan came from the most stacked draft class in history. Big Baby went after guys like Fazekus, Gabe Prutit, Alando Tucker and peter Kopenen. Jordan was picked right after Mario Chalmers and two before A'Moute who were good enough to start. Not that I'm down on Jordan at all, I like him lots, but its not a balanced comparison.

Mdog1
05-14-2009, 12:27 PM
I hope he doesn't sign with the Celtics. I think that would be awesome if he would sign on with a team in order too have a shot at a ring.

KKittles30
05-14-2009, 12:42 PM
I thought he would go in the first round especially to the 76ers #30 at the very least and I thought as high as 22nd when Charlotte took Jared Dudley I was shocked I thought "Big Baby" Davis was what they needed.

GOBB
05-14-2009, 07:21 PM
He's a weak rebounder and there is a reason for it.

ZOMG
05-14-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm still dazed by the start of this thread where someone compared Big Baby to Barkley.

Despite his weight, Barkley was fast and had a quick first step, could jump well and handle the ball. Plus he was an absolute freak rebounder and very good passer when the situation demanded it. In other words, NBA superstar.

Watching Davis try to pull off flat-footed reverse layups under the basket instead of dunking it is enough to kill any comparison.

indiefan23
05-15-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm still dazed by the start of this thread where someone compared Big Baby to Barkley.

Despite his weight, Barkley was fast and had a quick first step, could jump well and handle the ball. Plus he was an absolute freak rebounder and very good passer when the situation demanded it. In other words, NBA superstar.

Watching Davis try to pull off flat-footed reverse layups under the basket instead of dunking it is enough to kill any comparison.

The comparison is just based on their fattness, of which Baby had more of. Its not saying they're similar beyond that. But seriously, don't you think this was a consideration that contributed to taking Sam Perkins over Barkley? He was taken fifth still though. 35'th for what Baby had to offer was just silly. The point is that someone saw through Barkley's weight, and many did not see through baby's.

indiefan23
05-15-2009, 10:12 AM
I thought he would go in the first round especially to the 76ers #30 at the very least and I thought as high as 22nd when Charlotte took Jared Dudley I was shocked I thought "Big Baby" Davis was what they needed.

Exactly! That's precisely how I felt on draft night. Team after team passed on someone who's basement was basically a decent role player filling a hole on their team. Stock is given way too much weight. Take Portland.

Bowie over Jordan. Stock pick.

Oden over Durant. Stock pick.

Honestly, unless someone REALLY stands out in the tourny I'd just ignore all the stock and go with how I felt before it.

indiefan23
06-11-2010, 02:35 PM
I'd just like to resurface this thread again, and say it again, Big Baby Davis was taken 35'th. How dumb were the people who chose trash over him? Dude is a player and a game changer. 35. On almost any other NBA team he'd be starting. How do you get Big Baby at 35?

Are the haters quieted yet?

wally_world
06-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Overreaction much?

Good pick, yes, but let's not get carried away. He's not a starter in this league because he isnt consistent enough and his game is highly based on energy. Just 2 games ago he shot 3 for 14 in like 17 (?) minutes.

chazzy
06-11-2010, 04:14 PM
On almost any other NBA team he'd be starting

Clifton
06-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I thought it was dumb then and I think it's dumb now. I'm still not sure how this guy will pan out in the NBA but he's clearly a worthy pro, and worthy pros should not last till the second round.

Nobody's saying he's as good. They're saying he's similar. And a wide but short guy with incredibly quick feet who uses his body to get shots off against bigger guys is exactly what Barkley was... among many other things of course.

The Barkley comparison is simply unavoidable. If not Barkley, then who? Barkley's a top-20 all-time NBA player; Davis *may* be an average starter one day. Davis'll be lucky if he's ever as good as Paul Millsap; Barkley is in the Karl Malone and Tim duncan conversation. Nobody's bringing Chuck down by comparing him to Big Baby.

Foster5k
06-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Without Big Baby, the Celtics would be down 3-1.

GOBB
06-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Glen GDavis led the league in getting his shots blocked. The person in 2nd place wasnt nowhere close to Glen Davis either. He changes the game alright.

Without Big Baby, the Celtics would be down 3-1.

*shakes head*

BlueandGold
06-11-2010, 05:12 PM

C.C. Sabathia?

Glen GDavis led the league in getting his shots blocked. The person in 2nd place wasnt nowhere close to Glen Davis either. He changes the game alright.

*shakes head*

Agree. Any player has an opportunity to step up in the finals. Just because he is playing lights out right now doesn't mean he will in the future. Although intangibles such as hustle, heart, determination, etc, are not to be looked over there are just certain things that you can't get around, like height, athleticism, and speed. A 6'8'ish PF deserves to be taken 35th, I would even say that's a little high if you don't consider how Big Baby led LSU into the elite 8 (or final 4).

wang4three
06-11-2010, 05:14 PM
He was over 300 lbs in college, didn't have the jumper, and reported to be like 6'5" to as low as 6'4"... Very understandable. Also had reported attitude issues/lack of IQ.

Bigsmoke
06-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Overweight, undersized PF with conditioning issues. Not as athletic as his peers in the draft class. .

for a PF, he's quick as hell under the rim. thats what Phil Jackson said atleast.

Amil23
06-11-2010, 06:12 PM
:lol :roll:

InspiredLebowski
06-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Why doesn't anyone ever realize that once players get in the NBA they actually do get better sometimes?

Why do people seem to think the player evaluation process is perfect despite thousands of pieces of evidence that it isn't. The consistent hindsight here is just weird.

Kblaze8855
06-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Im not sure if its been mentioned but....

Marc Gasol was 48th in the same draft and hes better than Davis. Carl Landry was taken #31 and hes coming off a 16/6 season(18/7 oin the Kings). Aaron Brooks is a 20ppg player and was taken #26 in that draft. Ramon Sessions was taken 55th.

Davis isnt really close to the best steal just in his draft. Hes probably not top 3 in the second round. If he is hes a clear #3 and no higher.

BlackWhiteGreen
06-11-2010, 06:42 PM

Marc Gasol was 48th in the same draft and hes better than Davis. Carl Landry was taken #31 and hes coming off a 16/6 season(18/7 oin the Kings). Aaron Brooks is a 20ppg player and was taken #26 in that draft. Ramon Sessions was taken 55th.

Davis isnt really close to the best steal just in his draft. Hes probably not top 3 in the second round. If he is hes a clear #3 and no higher.

Rings: Davis - 1

Gasol, Landry, Brooks, Sessions - 0

Look, he's not saying there wasn't better 'steals' in the draft, he's saying Davis was a steal, and has possibly been the most consistent big man on a team with KG and Sheed that is in the Finals. So he won't ever be a #1 option - neither will probably 90% (at least) in his draft class (or any draft class, in reality).

Bigsmoke
06-11-2010, 07:03 PM

those guys are all playing heavy minutes. I could see Davis putting up Landry numbers as a starter actually.

Human Error
06-11-2010, 07:31 PM
In Miami, Glen Davis would've been DNP-CD'ed 82 times because Miami has a top 5 defensive power forward in the game in Haslem. We fans of Miami thank Haslem for taking a major paycut to remain as a Heat, he's been making $7M per year for the last 5 years and Haslem believes that he may have turned down the extra $10M by staying in Miami.

Damn...

noob cake
06-11-2010, 07:37 PM
those guys are all playing heavy minutes. I could see Davis putting up Landry numbers as a starter actually.

He doesn't have Landry's post game, athleticism, or jumper. Landry is a very legit starter PF with slight rebounding/size issues.

sayitaintso
06-11-2010, 07:42 PM

Never forget....i repeat...never forget Robert "Tractor" Traylor of Michigan....the guy the Bucks received from a trade that sent Dirk Nowitzki to Dallas.

Traylor was 6'8 HT 284 WT
Davis was 6'9 HT 289 WT

In the 1998 NBA Draft, Traylor was drafted by the Dallas Mavericks(with the 6th pick), but traded to the Milwaukee Bucks for Pat Garrity and German prospect Dirk Nowitzki. Nowitzki would become the first European NBA MVP ever, a multiple All-Star and a cornerstone for the Dallas Mavericks.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slideshows/152/slideshow_15248/display_image.jpg

Traylor played 7 seasons. 4.8 PPG 3.7 RPG in his career. So how did that trade worked out (Dirk Nowitzki?????)

Big Baby Davis career numbers have exceeded that: 5.9 PPG 3.6 RPG.

ShoeGuy
06-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Makes sense...remember this guy?

http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/3/6748/z6748333X.jpg

Same body type as Glen Davis...picked 22nd...got fat and out of shape. Had 1 or 2 good seasons, but became pretty much useless after gaining weight.

These kinda body types are high risks for teams, so I'm not surprised they got pick so low in the draft.

ShoeGuy
06-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Never forget....i repeat...never forget Robert "Tractor" Traylor of Michigan....the guy the Bucks received from a trade that sent Dirk Nowitzki to Dallas.

Traylor was 6'8 HT 284 WT
Davis was 6'9 HT 289 WT

In the 1998 NBA Draft, Traylor was drafted by the Dallas Mavericks(with the 6th pick), but traded to the Milwaukee Bucks for Pat Garrity and German prospect Dirk Nowitzki. Nowitzki would become the first European NBA MVP ever, a multiple All-Star and a cornerstone for the Dallas Mavericks.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slideshows/152/slideshow_15248/display_image.jpg

Traylor played 7 seasons. 4.8 PPG 3.7 RPG in his career. So how did that trade worked out (Dirk Nowitzki?????)

Big Baby Davis career numbers have exceeded that: 5.9 PPG 3.6 RPG.

+1...forgot about tractor traylor.

sayitaintso
06-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Makes sense...remember this guy?

http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/3/6748/z6748333X.jpg

Same body type as Glen Davis...picked 22nd...got fat and out of shape. Had 1 or 2 good seasons, but became pretty much useless after gaining weight.

These kinda body types are high risks for teams, so I'm not surprised they got pick so low in the draft.

I can't remember his name...this isn't Oliver Miller right?

ShoeGuy
06-11-2010, 07:53 PM
I can't remember his name...this isn't Oliver Miller right?

yup...the "big O" Oliver Miller.

mattevans11
06-11-2010, 08:24 PM
okay this should have been said in the 2nd post in this thread....

Why are you talking about his draft status... the man was a free agent one year ago and he got about as many teams that wanted to play for him as i have azzholes (which is one if anyone is counting)...

nobody wanted this guy just 11 months ago..... yeah he has had a couple decent games in this year;s playoffs, but he is what he is.

on a team with a recently slightly over rated center in Perkins, he is a suffiecient backup.......

he has done a good job, especially last game.....

this being said..... you are not smarter than every gm in the league......

davis would go higher if the draft was re-done today, but lets not get carried away....

he is what we thought he was........ solid backup that can spark a team from the pf/c position.....

that being said... back in the day when he was actually drafted... i was pissed when houston took brooks with him on the board.... i htought he was the best person for the rockets at the time. this has been the last time i have really doubted morey (although the ariza thing is making me seond guess my hesitation to second guess).

OP... dont over rate a player based on a couple games... its how people on here get over rated VERY QUICKLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solid pick by Boston ...... YES
alert the authorities for a team getting rid of theft? NOT EVEN CLOSE

Faberg
06-11-2010, 08:27 PM

This.

Edit: Wow. This thread is over a year old. Why was this bumped? :oldlol:

Kingsfans818
06-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Big baby was considered a joke and many people thought he was the worst player in the NBA when he was drafted...

I remember a thread along the lines of "who's the worst player in the NBA without potential left" and it went back and forth between Big baby and Sean marks :roll:

Kblaze8855
06-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Rings: Davis - 1

Gasol, Landry, Brooks, Sessions - 0

Really?

Really?

BlackWhiteGreen
06-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Really?

Really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/take+the+bait

sayitaintso
06-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Really?

Really?

I like to add

Big Baby Davis 1 ring

LeBron James 0

indiefan23
06-12-2010, 03:10 AM
Agree. Any player has an opportunity to step up in the finals. Just because he is playing lights out right now doesn't mean he will in the future.

Yea, but that's what people said when I talked about how Baby was the difference maker for LSU in March Madness. Then that's what they said when he played great ball to help Boston win vs Chicago and made them competitive vs Orlando filling in for KG. So you're going to keep saying it now?

Big Baby is a big game player who knows how to win and can take big shots with confidence. I find it shocking that people think he can't start. He's getting legitimate finals minutes on a team with a totally loaded front court. There are plenty of starting forwards in the NBA who would get nothing in that situation. It's almost as shocking as people who say he's nonathletic. Who else is that size and that athletic.

And I mean, I'm not even saying Baby is an all star (though it's within his ceiling). I'm just saying 'how does he drop to 35'th?' Of those 34 picks there are like only 4 guys who are doing better. It's crazy.

indiefan23
06-12-2010, 03:23 AM
okay this should have been said in the 2nd post in this thread....

Why are you talking about his draft status... the man was a free agent one year ago and he got about as many teams that wanted to play for him as i have azzholes (which is one if anyone is counting)...

What? You're just making things up. First, Baby 'wanted' to stay in Boston so he didn't aggressively hit the market. Secondly, there was lots of interest in him and he was pursued by plenty of teams.

http://www.redsarmy.com/home/2009/07/5-teams-want-big-baby.html

on a team with a recently slightly over rated center in Perkins, he is a suffiecient backup.......

Sufficient backups don't take over and win finals games pal. They don't stay in the game pushing starters to the bench in the most important game of the year. That's not was backing up is and he's done it multiple times.

he has done a good job, especially last game.....

this being said..... you are not smarter than every gm in the league......

Well I'm smarter then the guy who took Sean Williams, Nick Fazakes, and like 20 other GM's who took going nowhere players over a proven winner.

OP... dont over rate a player based on a couple games... its how people on here get over rated VERY QUICKLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF? Its not like he's only had one good game this playoffs. Baby has been a solid contributor for the whole playoffs and did a fine job filling in for HOF'er KG last year. He's the guy who kept them in it in game 3 and won them game 4. At 35 it is a certifiable theft. It's like you're not aware of how many crap players were taken before him. Even a half decent player like Arron Afflalo is a joke in the NBA in comparison. Let alone the guys who are now playing in Puerto Rico.

indiefan23
06-12-2010, 03:30 AM
And seriously, as a starter in last year's playoffs with a whole series with Dwight Howard, Baby scored 15.7 points on 49% shooting and 5.6 boards. And it was only his second year. People saying he can't start in a different situation are crazy.

eliteballer
06-12-2010, 03:44 AM
Yeah he was taken 35th and there is a reason...go watch what happened everytime he was guarding Gasol in the last game. Can't teach 7 foot.

blazerjimmy
06-12-2010, 09:45 AM
I actually had to brain storm to remember how he got moved from Seattle to Boston (in the Ray Allen trade). Just out of curiosity, who do you think the Thunder would rather have now....Davis or Jeff Green???

I thought Davis would go in the first round, but not a whole lot earlier than where he ended up going.....but I also thought that my Blazers made the right choice in taking Oden over Durant at the time....that hasn't really panned out for us.

DaJuan Blair is a guy who really fell in the draft, but his fall was based upon confirmed medical issues (cartilage in his knees??? or lack thereof???).

The draft is hard...I mean there have been HUGE busts in the lottery and there have been HUGE steals in the second round.....or even undrafted (Brad Miller out of Purdue for example). I remember when my Blazers selected #19 in 2001, my knee jerk reaction was "We took the chubby kid from Michigan State (Zach Randolph) over the center from UNC (Brendon Hayward)???"

Statistically speaking Randolph has proven to be the better player over time (despite the fact that he's a knucklehead).

mattevans11
06-12-2010, 12:31 PM
What? You're just making things up. First, Baby 'wanted' to stay in Boston so he didn't aggressively hit the market. Secondly, there was lots of interest in him and he was pursued by plenty of teams.

http://www.redsarmy.com/home/2009/07/5-teams-want-big-baby.html

Sufficient backups don't take over and win finals games pal. They don't stay in the game pushing starters to the bench in the most important game of the year. That's not was backing up is and he's done it multiple times.

Well I'm smarter then the guy who took Sean Williams, Nick Fazakes, and like 20 other GM's who took going nowhere players over a proven winner.

WTF? Its not like he's only had one good game this playoffs. Baby has been a solid contributor for the whole playoffs and did a fine job filling in for HOF'er KG last year. He's the guy who kept them in it in game 3 and won them game 4. At 35 it is a certifiable theft. It's like you're not aware of how many crap players were taken before him. Even a half decent player like Arron Afflalo is a joke in the NBA in comparison. Let alone the guys who are now playing in Puerto Rico.

well done on proving that 5 teams in fact wanted this so-called starter type of a player.........

but he is not a starter........ he has done nothing to show me that he can play starter minutes over a whole season...... really though, how many teams could he actually start for? AND BACKUPS TAKE OVER games ALL THE TIME..... just ask jr. smith for a prime example of this.....

you still are not smarter than any GMs....... if you think making one call over them (when you do not have any risk in your guesses), then sure turn in your application....

Every draft has a guy that was taken late that should have been picked earlier based on their first two years in teh league.

indiefan23
11-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I think I'm going to keep bumping this thread a couple times every year until Big Baby retires. Again, how is it possible he went 35'th. ;0

I guess it kind of makes sense though... it's not like he led a team to the final four with Tyrus Thomas and not much else or anything... oh... wait now... ;0

tpols
11-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Why do people act like big baby is that good?

I really believe all of bostons' roleplayers' successes can be attributed to the rondo effect. Not that I believe they're not good, but playing under great veterans, a great coach, and in a winning system will do tons for a player's improvement and confidence. Big baby on any other shitty team wouldn't even be that good. In fact He wouldn't even start on most average teams.

gyu
11-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Beating a dead horse here

Batz
11-12-2010, 04:56 PM
:wtf: ...

Those Illuminati videos starting to seem legitimate..

indiefan23
11-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Why do people act like big baby is that good?

I really believe all of bostons' roleplayers' successes can be attributed to the rondo effect. Not that I believe they're not good, but playing under great veterans, a great coach, and in a winning system will do tons for a player's improvement and confidence. Big baby on any other shitty team wouldn't even be that good. In fact He wouldn't even start on most average teams.

Baby has an awesome ability to hustle and finishes incredibly well for a bench player. Why would he be worse with the team actually calling plays for him and giving him minutes? That makes little sense. Being good in a bench role on a crazy good team is much harder then being good on a shit team with no other options. This is entirely why Chris Bosh was over rated. Baby isn't Chris Bosh, but he's an ultra solid player and a winner who's good enough to play a major contributing role off the bench on a championship team.

What is Kopenen besides on his way to the unemployment line? ;0

Ikill
11-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Baby has an awesome ability to hustle and finishes incredibly well for a bench player. Why would he be worse with the team actually calling plays for him and giving him minutes? That makes little sense. Being good in a bench role on a crazy good team is much harder then being good on a shit team with no other options. This is entirely why Chris Bosh was over rated. Baby isn't Chris Bosh, but he's an ultra solid player and a winner who's good enough to play a major contributing role off the bench on a championship team.

Yeah Chris Bosh got good stats on a bad team but that team also won 40 games and now there the worst team in the NBA so he clearly made a difference.

tpols
11-18-2010, 12:08 PM

uh...big baby is like the fourth option on the second team for boston. He gets most of his points off nice passes when the other teams are trying to guard the actually talented guys (you know pierce, allen, rondo, KG etc.) and most of his buckets are him catching it in the paint, taking one dribble to bang into someone and throwing in a layup. That and he can hit a 15 foot jumper if his man isn't on him tight (don't forget he's like 6'6, the size of a shooting guard, and 300 pounds).

You really think you could feed this guy in the post as a first or second option on a team? Can you imagine what would happen if he ever saw a double team? I'm sorry but this guy doesn't have the height or talent/skill to be good on his own. Like I said, playing in a winning system where you are the least of the other team's worries does wonders for how you can perform. The only thing I'll commend him on is he's a good hustle player/ defensive guy.

Avon Barksdale
11-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Big Baby is just a good role player, nothing more. He is crafty in getting shots off, plays hard, and is a decent scorer and rebounder, he's not even close to being a star, and he can't defend big players that well because he just isn't big enough. And it helps playing on a team with Rondo where you're usually the 3rd-5th scoring option on the court most of the time. Plus he probably gets his shot blocked more than anyone in the league. Guys like him usually don't amount to much in the NBA, he is an exception who has become a good player. It's the same thing with 6'2"-6'3" shooting guards. Sure some become very good payers (Eric Gordon) but most don't.

If you can't understand the rational of him going 35th, you must not have been watching basketball very long. The fact that you think Tractor Traylor was slow and wasn't a good athlete is very telling in that regard. Tractor Traylor was a freak athlete for his size. Maybe not as agile as Big Baby, but he was faster, stronger, and more explosive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soAsDLnr464 Big Baby can barely dunk. Traylor was a similar kind of player early in his career before he got fatter as well, and probably would have had a similar impact playing on this Celtics team with Rondo, coming off the bench, and not being a main offensive threat.

At 35 he was a good pick, but not a great pick or steal. Marc Gasol, Paul Millsap, Dujan Blair, Michael Redd...those are 2nd rounders that are significantly better players and legitimate steals.

Vince15
11-18-2010, 03:08 PM
i'm more curious as to why gaso fell so far

Avon Barksdale
11-18-2010, 03:19 PM
i'm more curious as to why gaso fell so far

Yeah, it is perplexing. I remember people thinking he was too slow and his offensive game was almost non existent at the time. At least that's how I remember it. A lot of people basically thought he was a big stiff. He was still pretty raw when he was drafted, he improved a lot in Spain before he came over. Still I would think someone would take a chance on him earlier just because he's a legit 7 foot and his brother was so good.

I was more shocked when Millsap fell that far. Granted, he was viewed as undersized and didn't play for a major NCAA team, but he has freakishly long arms, a wide body, and was a an absolute beast of a rebounder at Louisiana Tech. He led the NCAA in rebounding 3 years in a row if I remember correctly, a feat that no one else has ever achieved.

Rebounding in college is one of the few things that translates well to the NBA, and the league has had a ton of 6'7"-6'8" guys that were beasts on the boards (Rodman, Ben Wallace, etc.). His offensive game is better than I thought it would be in the NBA, but was a good scorer at Louisiana Tech, and I would have taken him just for his toughness and rebounding anyway. I was in complete shock when Danny Ferry took Daniel Gibson over him.