PDA

View Full Version : what makes a player a thug?

NugzFan
05-13-2009, 12:17 PM
just want descriptions...dont list players (lets see who can follow directions). i really want to know because people throw this term around (it doesnt bother me) - i just want to know what makes a player a thug? that way when people use it in other threads i know what they are talking about. i tried asking in other threads but didnt get a good answer.

a thug is a person who:

a)
b)
c)

fill em in!

John Smith
05-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Hitting a guy in the mouth causing him to bleed and get stitches. Um...throwing a guy into a scorer's table. Kenyon martin. You know these types of things.

DuMa
05-13-2009, 12:19 PM
has a 'thug' tattoo

StroShow4
05-13-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't think I've ever called an NBA player a thug. Thugs don't make their money playing basketball.

Valliant13
05-13-2009, 12:22 PM
a thug is a person who:

a) Commits violent crimes
b) Roll with known gang members and endorses their lifestyle
c) Attacks fans and teammates without (or with little) provocation

Example of Actual NBA Thug

- Rubben Patterson (Convicted sex offender, teammate attackers, general lowlife)

Someone like Kenyon Martin is more like a hockey goon than real thug: plays a physical role to intimidate the opponents and support his team. Hell by that standard I would be considered a thug for the way I played defense in ****ing soccer. People often lack perspective.

omarnyc
05-13-2009, 12:23 PM
any black dude who dress a certain way, have or once had braids, has tatts and grew up in the hood = thug according to a large number of posters on this message board

NugzFan
Hitting a guy in the mouth causing him to bleed and get stitches. Um...throwing a guy into a scorer's table. Kenyon martin. You know these types of things.

oops. you fail. cant follow directions written for a 2nd grader.

i didnt realize this would happen on the FIRST reply! :eek:

Silverbullit
I don't think I've ever called an NBA player a thug. Thugs don't make their money playing basketball.

I never called anyone a thug.

NugzFan
05-13-2009, 12:25 PM
ok so far we have:

a) has a 'thug' tattoo
b) Commits violent crimes
c) Roll with known gang members and endorses their lifestyle
d) Attacks fans and teammates without (or with little) provocation
e) any black dude who dress a certain way, have or once had braids, has tatts and grew up in the hood

this is helping.

Jordandunk23
05-13-2009, 12:28 PM
any black dude who dress a certain way, have or once had braids, has tatts and grew up in the hood = thug according to a large number of posters on this message board

this pretty much summarizes what people generalize as a thug..

ProfessorMurder
05-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Example of Actual NBA Thug

- Kobe Bryant (Almost convicted sex offender, teammate attacker, general lowlife)

Slightly changed for comedic effect! :D

Rasheed1
05-13-2009, 12:32 PM
there are no thugs in basketball

thugs rob & kill people for a living..... they dont make multi-millions playing bball

tattoes dont make thugs....

niether do tough looks and slang talk

real thugs rob these players you kids call thugs.....

LJJ
05-13-2009, 12:39 PM

Yes, let's ignore that a lot of those players actively try to present themselves as thugs or at least as "down with thugs".

OneMoreSucka
05-13-2009, 12:42 PM

thugs rob & kill people for a living..... they dont make multi-millions playing bball

:applause:

Myth
05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
You become a thug by at some point in your career joining the Denver Nuggets. I kid. I kid.

John Smith
05-13-2009, 12:43 PM
You become a thug by at some point in your career joining the Denver Nuggets.

HAHAHAHA...massive rep. This includes Marcus Camby.

Kebab Stall
05-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Well, the rule of thumb is, if he plays for the Nuggets, then he's more than likely a thug.

Kebab Stall
05-13-2009, 12:45 PM
You become a thug by at some point in your career joining the Denver Nuggets. I kid. I kid.
Damn, you beat me to it.

w00terz
05-13-2009, 12:46 PM
You become a thug by at some point in your career joining the Jail Blazers.

Fixed.

I do not KEED.

JK

Real Men Wear Green
05-13-2009, 12:46 PM

Agreed. The closest the NBA comes is guys like Kenyon Martin and Kendrick Perkins who will foul you, hard, and show no remorse...but wouldn't actually try to beat you up. If the NBA was lawless enough to permit thuggery we'd get what happened to that Bruins player a few nights ago where he gets his face cracked at the end of a game for no apparent reason. No one wants to see that in the NBA, where the game is actually valued above confrontations, which is why Stern came down so hard on Artest and the Pacers all those years back.

Foster5k
05-13-2009, 12:51 PM
any black dude who dress a certain way, have or once had braids, has tatts and grew up in the hood, did a cameo in a rap video, convicted of a DUI = thug according to a large number of posters on this message board

fixed..

NugzFan
05-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Well, the rule of thumb is, if he plays for the Nuggets, then he's more than likely a thug.

http://walsho.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/fail.jpg

Jordandunk23
05-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Yes, let's ignore that a lot of those players actively try to present themselves as thugs or at least as "down with thugs".

present themselves, or just how the media portrays and how the public views it... "down with thugs", just the people they grew up with...

if there aren't criminal records backing up those "thug image", then they are not thugs...

Valliant13
05-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Agreed. The closest the NBA comes is guys like Kenyon Martin and Kendrick Perkins who will foul you, hard, and show no remorse...but wouldn't actually try to beat you up. If the NBA was lawless enough to permit thuggery we'd get what happened to that Bruins player a few nights ago where he gets his face cracked at the end of a game for no apparent reason. No one wants to see that in the NBA, where the game is actually valued above confrontations, which is why Stern came down so hard on Artest and the Pacers all those years back.

Or Bertuzzi crippling Steve Moore. Or Mcsorely almost taking Brashears head off. Or any play from any shift the Broadstreet bully flyers were on the ice. I love the NHL...but the most vicious incidents in NBA history would barely warrant a 10 minute major in most hockey games. And yet hockey players seem to get in far less trouble off the court than most other pro athletes...must be something about getting their aggression out in game.

Rasheed1
05-13-2009, 12:58 PM
yet hockey players seem to get in far less trouble off the court than most other pro athletes...must be something about getting their aggression out in game.

I think its more about introducing poor kids to millions of dollars and screaming girls and anything they want overnight...

that is a huge and abrupt change in lifestyle that I know I couldnt handle and I doubt many kids fresh out of college (or HS) could handle....

too much power... too much money and too much of a culture shock to not get some sort of trouble...

its alot to handle..

LJJ
05-13-2009, 12:58 PM
present themselves, or just how the media portrays and how the public views it... "down with thugs", just the people they grew up with...

if there aren't criminal records backing up those "thug image", then they are not thugs...

Between Melo appearing in the stop snitching video, Pierce throwing up gang signs and Stephen Jacksons tattoo's, exactly where does the media come in to play?

If you appear on public tapes with drug dealers, pledge your allegiance to the bloods, get a tattoo like this:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07W3djD0mYc4W/340x.jpg

You want to be viewed as a hard thug from the hood. And the media have nothing to do with it.

Jordandunk23
05-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Between Melo appearing in the stop snitching video, Pierce throwing up gang signs and Stephen Jacksons tattoo's, exactly where does the media come in to play?

If you appear on public tapes with drug dealers, pledge your allegiance to the bloods, get a tattoo like this:

You want to be viewed as a hard thug from the hood. And the media have nothing to do with it.

first nobody thinks melo is a thug...

2nd, yes there are exceptions... there are athletes not just professionally, if you look in high school are affiliated with gangs, everybody knows this. and yes there is a distinct generalization and maybe players should stay away from that appearance... still doesn't change the fact that when you see a black kid with loose clothing that people automatically assumes he is a thug... the same way a lot of black athletes are portrayed, and no im not making excuses to those that were and are currently getting into trouble like a Pacman Jones...

Kebab Stall
05-13-2009, 01:11 PM
http://walsho.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/fail.jpg
Haha, judging by your reactions to whenever a nuggets player or the nuggets as a team are mentioned, I'd say that this does bother you.

My guess is that someone has called a nugg a thug and you've caught feelings and started this thread. Am I wrong, because I don't think so.

Mor'Fiyah
05-13-2009, 01:13 PM
any black dude who dress a certain way, have or once had braids, has tatts and grew up in the hood = thug according to a large number of RACISTS on this message board

Fixed.

greensborohill
05-13-2009, 01:14 PM
I thug dates girls who sing the following types of songs

[Trina]
Dumps in the truck
Thighs like what?
Ain't nann hoe got more booty in the butt
Sisqo made that song when he seen me in a
THONG! TH-THONG! THONG! THONG!
I know you like the way the booty go
Like a pro
Slip him off the bed, throw him on the floor
Turn on the cameras start the freak show
This azz even make Black Rob say whoa
I got a fat azz playa ***** can't pass up
Juvenile couldn't even back this azz up
Bone don't you know lil' mama fully loaded
I got a fat azz and I know how to tote it
You wanna fxxx?
Twenty g's for the nut
Keys to the mansion, keys to the truck
What? Y'all know what's up
Ain't nann hoe got more booty in the butt

PULL OVAH B!TCH YO AZZ IS TOOOOOOO FAT!!! WHOOP WHOOP!!! HERE'S YO TICKET LIL' MAMA, YOU SHO' KNOW HOW TO TOTE IT!! WHOOP WHOOP!!!

NugzFan
05-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Haha, judging by your reactions to whenever a nuggets player or the nuggets as a team are mentioned, I'd say that this does bother you.

no your ignorance doesnt bother me.

simply saying 'anyone on denver is a thug!' doesnt mean anything except that you dont know the answer and wanted to look stupid...you are just a hater, possibly bordering on troll. ive seen a million fans like you...

My guess is that someone has called a nugg a thug and you've caught feelings and started this thread. Am I wrong, because I don't think so.

the nuggets have been called thugs a million times...i dont give a ****. i was just wondering what makes a player a thug.

you fail. again.

NuggetsFan
05-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Kinda hard to describe a thug. I've always considered a criminal to be a "thug" someone who doesn't follow the law on a consistent basis(we've all made a few mistakes).

Having a tatoo or getting in a fight isn't really that thuggish. Maybe if you consistently fighting then it'd be different.

I guess who you associate with could also be considered but even then just because your friends with a guy that doesn't make good life style choices it shouldn't affect you as long as your not making the same choices as him.

crisoner
05-13-2009, 01:41 PM
IMO all the thugs is playing hockey in the NHL

http://cdn.nhl.com/bruins/images/upload/2007/10/lucic_fight.jpg

But they white boys so that's why they get a pass?

Kebab Stall
05-13-2009, 01:42 PM
no your ignorance doesnt bother me.

simply saying 'anyone on denver is a thug!' doesnt mean anything except that you dont know the answer and wanted to look stupid...you are just a hater, possibly bordering on troll. ive seen a million fans like you...

the nuggets have been called thugs a million times...i dont give a ****. i was just wondering what makes a player a thug.

you fail. again.
You're calling me a troll, yet you're the one going around calling people trolls and posting stupid pictures when they don't agree with you. Yeah, I'm the troll.

This is why I rarely post in the main forum anymore. It's full of morons like you who catch feelings whenever someone doesn't agree with you or says something you don't want to hear. You idiots are all the same, the main forum is just a breeding ground for you morons.

I, and the other poster who made similar comment to mine, were both joking (mainly because you're a nugs fan and hope you would get the joke, obviously not), yet you got upset from both of them and proceed to make stupid 'fail' comments.

*waits for 'fail' comment/picture*

kentatm
05-13-2009, 01:54 PM
something like this I think

http://pics.livejournal.com/stoney321/pic/000s422s.jpg

kentatm
05-13-2009, 01:54 PM

Hockey doesnt call them thugs. They are goons.

32jazz
05-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Or Bertuzzi crippling Steve Moore. Or Mcsorely almost taking Brashears head off. Or any play from any shift the Broadstreet bully flyers were on the ice. I love the NHL...but the most vicious incidents in NBA history would barely warrant a 10 minute major in most hockey games. And yet hockey players seem to get in far less trouble off the court than most other pro athletes...must be something about getting their aggression out in game.

To answer the OP I always thought of a 'THUG' as one who preyed upon/victimized other honest citizens. Not how they look(race/tattoos) or talk. The overwhelming majority of NBA players live crime free lives like most of us do.

Thug has become something of an euphenism that I see only directed at certain players/Leagues.

Most NBA players I see get into petty 'trouble' over stuff like marijuana & other petty crimes that I could care less about & because it is a bit more popular than Hockey the media runs with every story.

I have not seen many 'ACTIVE' NBA players convicted of any serious crimes & I doubt if we can find many who were convicted of conspiracy to murder or Homicide like Mike Danton(?) or Mactavish(?) of the NHL.

No one can really name me any 'active'(or active when they were convicted) NBA players who were convicted of anything as serious as those two NHL Players I mentioned yet they get the bad rap.

The overwhelming majority of NBA players live uneventful(criminally speaking lives) & it's only a biased 'perception' that is fueling this 'thug' talk/euphenism.

Kblaze8855
05-13-2009, 02:03 PM
I dont think there are any current "thugs" in the NBA. NBa players dont do real harm. The most solid punches ive seen an NBA player throw in the last 20 years was two from 6'7'' 270 Ron Artet to a fat ball boy who also got stuck by JO and was on his feet in seconds looking fine. Even "tough" nba players arent really hurting anyone outise of hard fouls. And being Danny Fortson isnt being a thug.

Here is a very imcomplete list of NBA player arrests....

NAME
CHARGE
EDUCATION
AGE WHEN ARRESTED

SEASON IN NBA WHEN ARRESTED

Greg “Cadillac” Anderson
Possession of Cocaine and Intent to Distribute
4 Years of College
10th

Gilbert Arenas
Unlawful Possession of Firearm
2 Years of College
3rd

Darrell Armstrong
Battery of Female Police Officer
4 Years of College
10th

Ron Artest
Assault and Battery
2 Years of College
6th

Charles Barkley
Disorderly Conduct
4 Years of College
8th

Erick Barkley
Trespass
4 Years of College
2nd

Tony Battie
Battery of Police Officer
3 Years of College
2nd

Mookie Blaylock
Marijuana Possession
4 Years of College
7th

Kobe Bryant
Sexual Assault
0 Years of College
7th

Rodney Buford
Marijuana Possession
4 Years of College
1st

Jason Caffey
Assault Causing Bodily Harm
4 Years of College
8th

Marcus Camby
Marijuana Possession
3 Years of College
2nd

Sam Cassell
Assault Causing Bodily Harm
4 Years of College
11th

Keon Clark
Marijuana Possession
4 Years of College
5th

Derrick Coleman
Driving While Under the Influence
4 Years of College
13th

Tony Dumas
Assault on Pregnant Woman
4 Years of College
2nd

Richard Dumas
Crack Cocaine Possession
3 Years of College
3rd (was retired)

Dale Ellis (1)
Domestic-Violence Assault and Resisting Arrest
4 Years of College
7th

Dale Ellis (2)
Domestic-Violence Assault
4 Years of College
17th (was retired)

Marcus Fizer
3 Years of College
3rd

Joe Forte (1)
Marijuana Possession and Unlawful Possession of Firearm
2 Years of College
2nd

Joe Forte (2)
2 Years of College
2nd

Steve Francis
3 Years of College
3rd

Gary Grant (1)
Assault, Battery, and Disorderly Conduct
4 Years of College
12th

Gary Grant (2)
Drunk Driving
4 Years of College
13th

Eddie Griffin (1)
Marijuana Possession
1 Year of College
3rd

Eddie Griffin (2)
Assault with a Deadly Weapon
1 Year of College
3rd

Ed Gray
Marijuana Possession and Driving Under the Influence
4 Years of College
2nd

Darvin Ham
Battery of Wife
3 Years of College
5th

David Harrison
Assault and Battery
3 Years of College
1st

Alan Henderson
4 Years of College
11th

Dennis Hopson
Domestic Violence
4 Years of College
5th (was retired)

Zydrunas Illgauskas
Drunk Driving
NA (European Pro till age 22)
5th

Allen Iverson (1)
Marijuana Possession and Unlawful Possession of Firearm
2 Years of College
2nd

Allen Iverson (2)
Assault
2 Years of College
7th

Stephen Jackson
Assault and Battery
1 Year of College
5th

Anthony Johnson
Assault and Battery
4 Years of College
8th

Dennis Johnson
Assault and Battery
4 Years of College
14th (was retired)

Shawn Kemp
Drug Possession and Unlawful Possession of Firearm
1 Year of College
14th (was retired)

Jason Kidd
Domestic Abuse
2 Years of College
7th

Voshon Lenard
Reckless Endangerment and Illegal Use of Firearm
4 Years of College
6th

Brad Lohaus
Domestic Assault and Felony Theft
4 Years of College
11th (was retired)

Sam Mack
Marijuana Possession
4 Years of College
6th

Anthony Mason
Battery on Police Officer
4 Years of College
10th

Vernon Maxwell (1)
4 Years of College
7th

Vernon Maxwell (2)
Drug Possession
4 Years of College
8th

Vernon Maxwell (3)
Failing to Pay Child Support
4 Years of College
12th

Roshown McLeod
Battery of Pregnant Woman
4 Years of College
2nd

Terrance Morris
Driving with a Suspended License
4 Years of College
1st

Lee Nailon
Marijuana Possession
4 Years of College
1st

Tyrone Nesby
Battery
4 Years of College
4th

Michael Olowokandi (1)
Cohabitant Abuse, Robbery, and False Imprisonment
3 Years of College
4th

Michael Olowokandi (2)
Disorderly Conduct and Trespass
3 Years of College
7th

Jermaine O’Neal
Assault and Battery
0 Years of College
9th

Chris Porter
Marijuana Possession
4 Years of College
1st

Vitaly Potapenko
Disorderly Conduct
2 Years of College
4th

Robert Parrish
Marijuana Possession
4 Years of College
21st (was retired)

Ruben Patterson (1)
Assault
4 Years of College
2nd

Ruben Patterson (2)
Attempted Rape
4 Years of College
3rd

Ruben Patterson (3)
Assault of Spouse
4 Years of College
5th

Gary Payton
4 Years of College
15th

Scottie Pippen
Battery of Woman
4 Years of College
8th

Olden Polynice (1)
Assault
3 Years of College
10th

Olden Polynice (2)
Impersonating a Police Officer and Disorderly Conduct
3 Years of College
13th

Olden Polynice (3)
Assault
3 Years of College
14th

Zach Randolph
1 Year of College
3rd

Eldrige Recasner
Assault
4 Years of College
6th

Jason Richardson
Domestic Violence
2 Years of College
2nd

Isaiah “JR” Rider
Marijuana Possession
4 Years of College
4th

Cliff Robinson (1)
Marijuana Possession
3 Years of College
9th

Cliff Robinson (2)
Marijuana Possession
3 Years of College
12th

Glenn Robinson (1)
Disorderly Intoxication
3 Years of College
6th

Glenn Robinson (2)
Battery and Unlawful Possession of Firearm
3 Years of College
8th

Dennis Rodman (1)
Battery
4 Years of College
14th

Dennis Rodman (2)
Obstruction of Justice
4 Years of College
14th (was retired)

Dwayne Schintzius
4 Years of College
8th (was retired)

Charles Smith
Vehicular Homicide and Driving Under the Influence
4 Years of College
2nd

Leon Smith
Criminal Mischief
0 Years of College
1st

Michael Smith
Assault and Drunk Driving
4 Years of College
8th

Latrell Sprewell
Driving With a Suspended License
4 Years of College
11th

Jerry Stackhouse
Assault
2 Years of College
8th

DeShawn Stevenson
Statutory Rape
0 Years of College
2nd

Rod Strickland (1)
3 Years of College
10th

Rod Strickland (2)
Unlawful Entry
3 Years of College
12th

Damon Stoudamire
Marijuana Possession
4 Years of College
8th

Sedale Threatt
Failing to Pay Child Support
4 Years of College
14th (was retired)

Kurt Thomas
Assault of Spouse
4 Years of College
7th

Robert Traylor
Receiving and Concealing Stolen Property
3 Years of College
3rd

Gary Trent
Assault
3 Years of College
2nd

John Wallace
Harassment
4 Years of College
2nd

Rasheed Wallace
Marijuana Possession
2 Years of College
8th

Samaki Walker
Drunk Driving
2 Years of College
8th

Chris Webber
Marijuana Possession and Resisting Arrest
2 Years of College
6th

Bonzi Wells
Trespass
4 Years of College
4th

David Wesley
Reckless Driving
4 Years of College
7th

Chris Wilcox
2 Years of College
3rd

Jason Williams
Reckless Driving
4 Years of College
3rd

Jayson Williams
Reckless Manslaughter
4 Years of College
9th (was retired)

Sly Williams
Kidnapping, Rape, Sodomy, and Burglary
4 Years of College
7th (was retired)

Qyntel Woods (1)
Marijuana Possession
3 Years of College^
1st

Qyntel Woods (2)
Animal Cruelty
3 Years of College^
3rd

Some real charges in there most of them to people never called anything like a thug.

32jazz
05-13-2009, 02:04 PM

Well it does seem that both Mike Danton & Craig Mactavish(?) who were convicted of Conspiracy to Murder & Homicide/manslaughter didn't do much damge to the NHL's image.

Now just think if two 'Active' NBA players were ever convicted of similiar charges. they would be considered a League of murderous 'thugs' ,but the NHL has gotten by.

NBA players just like certain minorities in this country seem to get unfairly painted with a broad brush as if the behavior of a few is the responsibility/fault/norm for the tens of millions in that particular group/race.

LJJ
05-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Sly Williams
Kidnapping, Rape, Sodomy, and Burglary
4 Years of College
7th (was retired)

Wait what? :wtf:

CasterL
05-13-2009, 02:10 PM
acts like a ****, thinks their hard and shows no class

kentatm
05-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Charles Barkley
Disorderly Conduct
4 Years of College
8th

is this from when he tossed that guy through a window?

Kblaze8855
05-13-2009, 02:12 PM
You kinda can call Sly a few names....

Williams filed bankruptcy shortly after his release from the NBA. Even
bankruptcy didn’t stem the tide of drug and alcohol abuse and domestic
violence Williams was known for. Amid constant rumors of violent tendencies toward women, Williams kept skating by, avoid charges until the fateful day in 2001 when his lifestyle and habits caught up with him.

First, he was charged with the rape and sodomy of a woman who chose to remain anonymous in January 2001. Later that year, he was charged with kidnapping a different woman, holding her for 24 hours, threatening her life with a gun and raping her as well. Prosecutors chose to combine the two cases in a bid to get a conviction with maximum time as a sentence.

In the end, Williams took a plea on the January 2001 rape of the anonymous woman, and went to trial only for the September 2001 kidnapping, assault and rape charges. The judge in the case found him guilty of the crimes and sentenced him to five years in prison. Williams freely admitted his guilt in court.

Williams served three and a half years of his five year sentence. A New Haven reporter interviewed him just before his April 2006 release, and found him to be one of the only prisoners he had ever met who actually considered going to prison to be the best thing that had ever happened to him.

Geandily
05-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Why does a charge of rape and kidnapping only get him 5 years? And wait, he said prison was good for him? Like, because it taught him how to make toilet wine and bedpost shanks or because he learned his lesson?

32jazz
05-13-2009, 02:22 PM
I dont think there are any current "thugs" in the NBA. NBa players dont do real harm. The most solid punches ive seen an NBA player throw in the last 20 years was two from 6'7'' 270 Ron Artet to a fat ball boy who also got stuck by JO and was on his feet in seconds looking fine. Even "tough" nba players arent really hurting anyone outise of hard fouls. And being Danny Fortson isnt being a thug.

Here is a very imcomplete list of NBA player arrests....

NAME
CHARGE
EDUCATION
AGE WHEN ARRESTED

SEASON IN NBA WHEN ARRESTED

Some real charges in there most of them to people never called anything like a thug.

What's with the mega post & arrests & not the convictions?

Those were arrests mostly for marijuana/drug possession(like I said earlier), disorderly conduct,failure to pay child support,suspended driver's license, unlicensed fireams,DUI,etc.....or retired players, but I am not sure if there were many/any convictions. Hardly a list of 'thuggish' behavior by this society's standards.

No convictions for anything as serious as some NHL players I have seen, but they get painted with a broad brush.

32jazz
05-13-2009, 02:26 PM
You kinda can call Sly a few names....

I can call him retired from the NBA for over twenty years when he was convicted a few years ago.:confusedshrug:

Please post us some active player(when they committed their crime) convictions.

Kblaze8855
05-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Donald.....

Crimes, scandals and misdemeanors aren't just the domain of NBA players anymore. Just ask the Los Angeles Clippers. Their team owner, Donald Sterling, gave graphic testimony last fall about his ongoing sexual relationship with what he called in court a "$500-a-trick freak".

This is big news for anyone, but especially for the National Basketball Association. The NBA, headed by commissioner David Stern, is used to dealing with the shenanigans and crimes of its star players as they allow fame and money to go to their heads, but having the owner of a team involved in a scandal this big is a completely new ball game.

Some say bad behavior trickles down from above. If that's true this may not bode well for the Clippers. If we can expect this kind of behavior from their owner, what kind of behavior has he been condoning or covering up for them all
along? Any way you slice it, this lawsuit is big news.

Interestingly, the lawsuit was brought by Sterling against the same woman he claims to have paid for sex. This means he has admitted to one crime to punish someone else for what he sees as another crime. You can read the full text of his deposition here (contains graphic language and sexual content): http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0812041sterling1.html.

Sterling purchased the Clippers for what is considered a "song" by NBA standards: $12.5 Million in 1981. The team is now worth over $240 Million dollars, and is known for making bad trades, not paying its star players enough money, and shoddy conditions. Sterling has developed his own reputation as a noted tightwad, in spite of this incident's evidence to the contrary.

Sterling got his start as a real estate big wig in Los Angeles, amassing countless properties and enough money to make Donald Trump jealous. Since buying the Clippers in the Eighties, he has done little to improve the team, build a reputation or hire the staff needed to improve the team’s record. The Los Angeles Clippers remain one of the worst teams in NBA history.

This lawsuit is not the first controversy surrounding Sterling. He was ordered by a judge in 2005 to pay $5 Million in damages and fees when he was accused of ousting blacks and latinos from an apartment complex he owned in Los Angeles's Koreatown neighborhood. In 2006 he was sued by the US Department of Justice for refusing to rent apartments to blacks and families with children. He has also recently lost real estate ownership judgments in Century City, California and received flack for his garish, full-page ads in local Los Angeles papers.

crisoner
05-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Well it does seem that both Mike Danton & Craig Mactavish(?) who were convicted of Conspiracy to Murder & Homicide/manslaughter didn't do much damge to the NHL's image.

Now just think if two 'Active' NBA players were ever convicted of similiar charges. they would be considered a League of murderous 'thugs' ,but the NHL has gotten by.

NBA players just like certain minorities in this country seem to get unfairly painted with a broad brush as if the behavior of a few is the responsibility/fault/norm for the tens of millions in that particular group/race.

Exactly my point...

Since the NBA is a majority black African American league they get all the great comps for being just that.

I mean...the NHL has had a couple of guys fight fans during a game etc.....Ron Ron goes and does it and it's a HUGE blow to the NBA. Not saying it was right in either case but because Ron Artest in black he is considered a thug. Yes these NHL players maybe seen as goons or whatever but they are seen as model citizens over NBA players because they are white. Hate to bring race in to it but that's just the way things are in this country....and it's wrong.

yeaaaman
05-13-2009, 02:28 PM

If you knew anything about that story you would know Stephen Jackson said the tatoo represented him praying never to have to use a gun again. Appearing in a video doesn't make you a thug. Matter of fact, not snitching doesn't make you a thug either. People who violently enforce upon others the 'snitches get stiches' ideology are the thugs. I don't see Melo actively forcing this onto anyone, especially not in a violent manner. Pierce's signs were self explanatory but it was just talk, nothing came of it. A lot of it common stereotypes and ignorance among the general public getting exploited by media hype.

nbastatus
05-13-2009, 02:30 PM
cuss the f out of cuban

crisoner
05-13-2009, 02:36 PM
You know what though...Steve Jackson is a straight up thug and he is not ashamed to hide it. Ran into him and his boys in clubs here in the Bay and they are all flashing their red rags like it ain't nothing.

thejumpa
05-13-2009, 02:44 PM
If you knew anything about that story you would know Stephen Jackson said the tatoo represented him praying never to have to use a gun again. Appearing in a video doesn't make you a thug. Matter of fact, not snitching doesn't make you a thug either. People who violently enforce upon others the 'snitches get stiches' ideology are the thugs. I don't see Melo actively forcing this onto anyone, especially not in a violent manner. Pierce's signs were self explanatory but it was just talk, nothing came of it. A lot of it common stereotypes and ignorance among the general public getting exploited by media hype.

I think he is talking about the tattoo on the corner of his stomach....because it does look like it's B's up (But I could be wrong I guess). Either way, Jackson is from Port Arthur...anybody who knows anybody from there or maybe visited themselves can understand his motives behind some tattoos. People see tattoos and a couple bull**** charges on a black guy and he's a thug? wow if you think that you are a ****ing idiot.

Either way, I have said it before and will say it again. I'm pretty sure that most people on this board never lived the life that 90% of these athletes had to do. Stop snitching? In some instances it is wrong, yes, but, you gotta understand where they come from and the reasoning behind it. Appearing in a "Stop Snitching DVD" doesn't make you a thug, neither does appearing in a rap video (maybe it does, aren't rappers thugs too:rolleyes:)

These guys are getting busted for weed possession, unlawful possession of a firearm, DUI, and other stupid things. Things like that make you an idiot...not a thug. Go to where they are the from (the hood), ask what a thug is....or stick around long enough to see one lol....you will see that NO ONE in the NBA is a thug....stupid,idiotic, and sometimes crazy, yes....but a thug? :roll:

Peter Griffin
05-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Guy with Tats
Off court gun problems
Promotes gang activity

(Carmelo, Iverson) Just about it.

32jazz
05-13-2009, 03:30 PM
You know what though...Steve Jackson is a straight up thug and he is not ashamed to hide it. Ran into him and his boys in clubs here in the Bay and they are all flashing their red rags like it ain't nothing.

Or a 'wanna-be' thug perhaps? Sounds like a knucklehead though.

Crisoner you remember when most Black celebrities who had grown up in extreme poverty/slums would always be proud of how they had 'made it' ? They were more than happy to speak of their poverty stricken backgrounds & never ever forgot were they came from & saw it as an proud example of just how far they had risen/how much they had achieved. But they rarely conducted themselves as if they still lived there or had to 'prove' that they were from there.

It seems that a small few ,like Jackson ,don't think simply rising from a tough background is respect worthy. Instead they feel they must still 'look' or 'act' the part :confusedshrug:

Now I'm certainly not blaming Jackson for the public's perception of NBA players especially ,but people like him certainly don't help. He is in the minority of 'wanna-be' thugs.

Rasheed1
05-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Either way, I have said it before and will say it again. I'm pretty sure that most people on this board never lived the life that 90% of these athletes had to do. Stop snitching? In some instances it is wrong, yes, but, you gotta understand where they come from and the reasoning behind it. Appearing in a "Stop Snitching DVD" doesn't make you a thug, neither does appearing in a rap video (maybe it does, aren't rappers thugs too:rolleyes:)

true and people need to remember that 'stop snitchin' is as american as Apple pie..

what happens to snitches in the Mob?

what happens to cops who snitch on other cops?

when I grew up snitching got you in trouble.... If there was a group of kids playing and you the one always running to tell on somebody, you got the whuppin for being a snitch......

these guys didnt invent the rules against snitchin

Killbot
05-13-2009, 04:25 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/thug

This will answer your question.

Bigsmoke
05-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Carmelo Anthony is a fat thug at that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaEbfEbZQl8

Mile High Crew
05-13-2009, 04:26 PM
If players were thugs they would be in jail by now or hustlin in the streets.

But in the eyes of fans and media they characterized the Nuggets as Thugs because:
1. They got tats
2. Off court issues
3. They play aggressive in the playoffs and teams like the Dallas whines about it.

thejumpa
05-13-2009, 04:27 PM
yup^^^^^^

NOBODY, and I repeat, NOBODY likes a tattle-tale. If you do, then you probably are one and probably got the ass whuppin as a kid.

Fatal9
05-13-2009, 04:29 PM
The thuggets loitering in the streets, drunk as f*ck talking like hoodlums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRippo04Utw

These are grown men :oldlol:

Melo's choice of wearing all red is interesting...

JR Smith - shoves, spits and tears dresses of women in nightclubs, getting in fights etc.
K-Mart - on court demeanor, mocks diseases of other players, throwing around "fa*got mawfuka" in front of fans, suspended numerous times for "conduct detrimental to the team"
Birdman - hooked on heroine

Still love watching them play though.

Gundress
05-13-2009, 04:54 PM
A thug term is finding an excuse to use the "N" word instead.

Peter Griffin
05-13-2009, 04:57 PM
A thug term is finding an excuse to use the "N" word instead.

There's no excuse in that! Im a white guy and i say the "N" word all the time, usually when im cracking jokes about them!

beasly15
05-13-2009, 04:57 PM
larry bird is a thug.

1~Gibson~1
05-13-2009, 05:03 PM
any black dude who dress a certain way, have or once had braids, has tatts and grew up in the hood = thug according to a large number of posters on this message boardQFT