PDA

View Full Version : Most 2009 NBA draft prospects are scrubs...

beasted86
05-16-2009, 06:17 PM
According to ESPN here's their Top 10, and what I think of them:

The Good:
1. Blake Griffin - Might be a future all-star, but has no superstar potential.
4. James Harden - May be the only surprise in the draft (See: Eric Gordon).
8. Stephen Curry - He's the next Mo Williams. Will make a good complimentary shooter.

The Bad:
2. Ricky Rubio - Slated as the next Nash, but will fail to live up to the hype.
3. Hasheem Thabeet - Might be solid, but Tyson Chandler is his ceiling... IE: another wasted top 3 pick.
5. Jordan Hill - Athleticism will only get you so far as a Hakim Warrick clone.
10. James Johnson - His versatility is intriguing, but won't make any real noise.

The Ugly:
6: DeMar DeRozan - He'll be the first one to see the D-League.
9. Brandon Jennings - Suprised he struggled so badly overseas and gets projected top 10.

NYK-Bball
05-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Earl Clark will be another suprise.Johnny Flynn will be solid as well.

fatboy11
05-16-2009, 06:22 PM
2008 was last year.

Sonic R
05-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Earl Clark will be another suprise.Johnny Flynn will be solid as well.

Is Flynn coming out? I thought he was staying another year

BankShot
05-16-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't understand why people are so high on Stephen Curry... what position is going to play in the NBA?? Does anyone actually think he can run an NBA team at the point, or even guard ANYONE at either PG or SG??

My NBA comparison for him is Eddie House

TryToBeUnbias
05-16-2009, 06:37 PM
i wanna see what jodie meeks can do

beasted86
05-16-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't understand why people are so high on Stephen Curry... what position is going to play in the NBA?? Does anyone actually think he can run an NBA team at the point, or even guard ANYONE at either PG or SG??

My NBA comparison for him is Eddie House

He can shoot. The NBA always can use another shooter. And at 6'3"... I don't think he'll be terrible guarding PGs. He will play PG, and would be best suited on a team where he is the second option (BTW: news flash, Mo isn't a natural PG either).

InspiredLebowski
05-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Flynn's a great college 1, but I think he's the next TJ Ford. Which I guess for late lotto/mid 1st isn't that bad.

noob cake
05-16-2009, 07:11 PM

The Good:
8. Stephen Curry - He's the next Mo Williams. Will make a good complimentary shooter.

The Bad:
3. Hasheem Thabeet - Might be solid, but Tyson Chandler is his ceiling... IE: another wasted top 3 pick.
10. James Johnson - His versatility is intriguing, but won't make any real noise.

The Ugly:
9. Brandon Jennings - Suprised he struggled so badly overseas and gets projected top 10.

Blake Griffin is one of the most atheletic PF to ever come out of college.
Harden can become a great player, I agree.
Curry is just not that good; you have to watch him, not just read his boxscore. He is a bigger AI-lite at best (ball hog rookies can't find good homes) with better three point shooting. (His brother Seth will be a better prospect in a few years).
Rubio is insulted as your comparison; he is a Chris Paul level passing/stealing/vision point guard in a bigger frame, with less atheletic genes.
Tahbeet, legit 7'3" that doesn't look stiff while running. How many of those are in the NBA?
Jennings is an elite prospect; boxscore values in european leagues are depressed severely. The highest PPG in the spanish league is like only 16 and apg around 5 (I know he plays in Italy).

Foster5k
05-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Rubio is insulted as your comparison; he is a Chris Paul level passing/stealing/vision point guard in a bigger frame, with less atheletic genes.
:lol

DeuceWallaces
05-16-2009, 07:17 PM

He won't do ****. Can't defend, pass, penetrate, or get his shot off against solid defense.

Toizumi
05-16-2009, 07:43 PM

The Good:

The Bad:

The Ugly:

http://images-2.redbubble.net/img/clothing/backgroundcolor:fafafa/bodycolor:black/size:large/style:mens/view:preview/1556570-4-say-no-to-pessimism-white-print.jpg

Al Thornton
05-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Eric Gordon was not a surprise. The bad second half of his season at Indiana pushed him back to 7. He should have been a top 4-5 pick but I'm happy Clippers got a franchise player one of the few in this draft.

big baller
05-16-2009, 07:50 PM
The Bad:

And who are you again? Shut the hell up you douche, you know nothing of Hasheem Thabeet...Tyson Chandler his ceiling, Taloca!

darius15
05-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah, this draft isn't very good. A couple of potential all-stars at the most.

Boy, I miss the 96 draft.:lol

el gringos
05-16-2009, 09:09 PM
I actually think there are 20+ real nba players in this draft- not a lot of superstar potential, but a lot of players- pg alone there there are rubio and jennings + holiday, teague and curry all as players you should want on your team- plus there are flynn and lawson who somebody else's team should want- pg and sf each have more than 5 players who will have very good nba careers- pf and c is weak but still a solid draft

GiveItToBurrito
05-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Derozan could play in the DLeague, or he could play in the rooke game. He seemed very, very raw and scared in the first half of the season at USC, but he really came on strong in the tournaments. I'd guess that his rookie season will be kind of similar, with him playing ten to fifteen minutes per game for the first few months and looking like an enormous bust while he gets a feel for the pro game and learns to use his physical tools, but that he'll wind up playing 30 minutes a game for the last month or two of the season while putting up something like 13 and 5. Also, even though he's known solely as a physical player without a very good finesse game, he actually does have a decent jumper, and he should actually become a reasonable three point shooter in a few years. I actually could see him putting up Caron Butler or Igoudala-type numbers within four years, albeit with fewer assists.

Jennings seems nice. He's raw as hell, and he could easily be the next Telfair, but I think that Europe has helped him mature, which should make him more receptive to coaching and advice once he hits the league.

The Rubio hate on here seems kind of excessive. Has anyone seen many Spanish League games? Not a rhetorical question, too; I've looked all over the internet for game footage of Rubio and there doesn't seem to be much.

WhySoInsecure?
05-16-2009, 09:56 PM
If we draft Curry i will crucify Walsh. I can already picture him pulling the "Reggie" card like he did last year with Danilo. He already passed up on Lopez, Gordon and DJ for a role player.

Curry is a volume shooter and won't get to put up 20 shots like he did in college. Will never be Mo because he's built like a little girl and doesn't have the quickness to get to the rim and finish.
I'd much rather have Flynn, Clark or Henderson. And i wouldn't get mad if we went with Derozan

Jinxed
05-16-2009, 10:00 PM

The Rubio hate on here seems kind of excessive. Has anyone seen many Spanish League games? Not a rhetorical question, too; I've looked all over the internet for game footage of Rubio and there doesn't seem to be much.

Check out www.acb.com

Rubio actually got injured today. Hurt his right hip flexor. It looked pretty bad. I wonder what it will do to his draft status.

here is a vid of the game before

http://acbtv.acb.com/video/1810

and today's injury

http://acbtv.acb.com/video/1832

Rekindled
05-16-2009, 10:06 PM
who the **** said rubio is the next nash. rubio is the solar opposite of nash.

nash- GREAT shooter, play no defense, cant steal

rubio- so-so shooter, DPOY , steal leader.

beasted86
05-16-2009, 10:48 PM
And who are you again? Shut the hell up you douche, you know nothing of Hasheem Thabeet...Tyson Chandler his ceiling, Taloca!

STFU and play your position...

He got absolutely BULLIED by DeJuan Blair... someone with an NBA like build: solid-burly build with a low center of gravity. When he gets to the NBA and sees more players built like that, you'll see his real worth. He's nothing but a Chandler type... slim athletic block & rebound machine. But unless he gets on the Dwight Howard regimen when he gets to the NBA and puts on a good 40 lbs. he will never be better than Chandler.

beasted86
05-16-2009, 10:52 PM
who the **** said rubio is the next nash. rubio is the solar opposite of nash.

nash- GREAT shooter, play no defense, cant steal

rubio- so-so shooter, DPOY , steal leader.

He's slated as a Nash type because of his playmaking ability & court vision, while being a suplimentary scorer. Nobody is scouting this guy as a dominant scorer like CP3 or Deron.

beasted86
05-16-2009, 10:57 PM
If we draft Curry i will crucify Walsh. I can already picture him pulling the "Reggie" card like he did last year with Danilo. He already passed up on Lopez, Gordon and DJ for a role player.

Curry is a volume shooter and won't get to put up 20 shots like he did in college. Will never be Mo because he's built like a little girl and doesn't have the quickness to get to the rim and finish.
I'd much rather have Flynn, Clark or Henderson. And i wouldn't get mad if we went with Derozan

Mo's strength was never driving to the basket. He's best as a shooter off the dribble or spot up... and that's what Curry does best. His defense will need work just like most rooks.

The Knicks have no real isolation scorers... he'd be a good fit there. The only guys on the Knicks that can create their own shot are Harrington & Robinson... both of which may not be there in 2010. I don't think Curry will ever be a go-to first option like AI was, but he will make a good second option on a team with a superstar like LeBron. And with LeBron being a fan of Curry's game... as a Knick fan, you should be hoping they draft him.

Kebab Stall
05-17-2009, 04:53 AM
Earl Clark not considered top 10? ESPN sucks.

Clark will go up the board once the workouts start.

BRINKER
05-17-2009, 05:07 AM
He's slated as a Nash type because of his being white

corrections in red.

Manute for Ever!
05-17-2009, 05:16 AM

It's not that he struggled, it's more that he played within a system. In international ball personal glory comes second to team glory. He would've been taught that his stats don't mean ****, winning does. That is the problem with American sports.

chains5000
05-17-2009, 05:25 AM
corrections in red.
:applause:
It's amazing to see even proffesional writers can't compare a white player to a black one.

Jinxed
05-17-2009, 12:11 PM
:applause:
It's amazing to see even proffesional writers can't compare a white player to a black one.

So true.

The only real comparison between nash and Rubio is theie passing ability, flair and clutchness.

blazerjimmy
05-17-2009, 12:18 PM
I like Curry, and going to a smaller school has allowed him to stand out a bit more, but am I the only one having flashbacks to Trajan Langdon??? Perhaps a bit more athletic, but that's who Curry reminds me of.

Thabeet the next Tyson Chandler??? If Thabeet can be the player that Chandler is, at 7'3 and 30 pounds heavier than Chandler, then I would definetley want him on my team!!!

I've been reading about Rubio for years, but I simply haven't seen enough of him on the court.

I agree with GiveItToBurrito that Jennings' year in Italy has probably helped him mature - probably even more so than a freshman year of college where he would've been the BMOC would have been. The next Telfair??? OUCH!!!

Godfather
05-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Curry is a bust imo.

He is an undersized volume shooter.

Just look at how that is treating JJ Reddick.

NYK-Bball
05-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Curry actually has some handles and passing ability...

How is that similar to J.J. Reddick besides shooting and basketball IQ?

Either way best prospects are Clark,Curry,Flynn,Jennings and Griffin of course.

Best steals will be Sam Young,Darren Collison,AJ Price and Damion James.

Draft is not great but you can find a couple of gems.

GOBB
05-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Curry will make many people eat crow. They'll end up arguing for Curry in threads acting like they werent believers prior.

And most of the 2009 draft prospects are not scrubs.

Curry is a bust imo.

He is an undersized volume shooter.

Just look at how that is treating JJ Reddick.

Curry is better than JJ.

beasted86
05-17-2009, 05:03 PM
I like Curry, and going to a smaller school has allowed him to stand out a bit more, but am I the only one having flashbacks to Trajan Langdon??? Perhaps a bit more athletic, but that's who Curry reminds me of.

Thabeet the next Tyson Chandler??? If Thabeet can be the player that Chandler is, at 7'3 and 30 pounds heavier than Chandler, then I would definetley want him on my team!!!

I've been reading about Rubio for years, but I simply haven't seen enough of him on the court.

I agree with GiveItToBurrito that Jennings' year in Italy has probably helped him mature - probably even more so than a freshman year of college where he would've been the BMOC would have been. The next Telfair??? OUCH!!!

Curry is similar to Langdon... the difference is, he can pass the ball... Langdon could not. Langdon could never convert his game to the PG position, and the league back then was not kind to tweeners when you had such dominant big men @ 7'0+ still in the NBA and more physical guards. It also didn't help that that Cavs team really sucked, and he was expected to be a key scoring option 6th man while they were rebuilding.

Curry will be a solid complimentary player in a few years... although I don't think he will shine as a ROY candidate.

And Chandler is a very solid center... but even in hindsight... you must admit, he was a complete was of a 2nd pick when there were 'franchise players' available after him. But I guess with this being such a shallow draft pool, you can't really argue with Thabeet going to a top 3 pick. There's not much else worth it.

timlush
05-17-2009, 06:03 PM

Well you are going to have to wait until 2010. No way he is staying in this draft. Probably won't even get picked NEXT year.

NYK-Bball
05-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Curry will make many people eat crow. They'll end up arguing for Curry in threads acting like they werent believers prior.

Curry is better than JJ.

+1, I can't wait till he starts making some noise you will see people with their lying and excuses about what they said earlier.

D-Rose
05-17-2009, 07:39 PM
There ceratinly is plenty of bust potential in this draft, hopefully most guys will pan out.

G-train
05-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Blake Griffin is one of the most atheletic PF to ever come out of college.

What are you trying to prove with that comment?
Stromile Swift is also one of the most athletic forwards ever, as is Tyrus Thomas, as is Darvin Ham.

Griffin will be a Kenyon Martin type in the league, which is pretty darn good - especially if he didnt get injured.

Curry's career will be determined by his speed and defensive abilities. I'm leaning towards a Michael Adams type career.

I love the big fella Thabeet. Although he desperately needs to become more powerful around the basket. Give him 3 years of strengthening and he will be fine.

If I was Rubio, I would stay in Europe and enjoy my life.

beasted86
05-17-2009, 11:28 PM
What are you trying to prove with that comment?
Stromile Swift is also one of the most athletic forwards ever, as is Tyrus Thomas, as is Darvin Ham.

Griffin will be a Kenyon Martin type in the league, which is pretty darn good - especially if he didnt get injured.

Curry's career will be determined by his speed and defensive abilities. I'm leaning towards a Michael Adams type career.

I love the big fella Thabeet. Although he desperately needs to become more powerful around the basket. Give him 3 years of strengthening and he will be fine.

If I was Rubio, I would stay in Europe and enjoy my life.

I agree about Griffin. He will be a good player, but not a 'great' player. I don't forsee more than 3 of these guys being a main franchise piece...

Thabeet can be good... but after looking at all the past top 7'0"+ draft picks that were heavily hyped out of college... from the Olawakandis down to the Currys... I'm just not optimistic that he will really push himself to that next level like Howard did.

And I also agree that Rubio will find he enjoyed euro ball much better similar to Darko Milicic, and will be longing to play again as soon as his rookie contract is up.

Lebron23
05-26-2009, 02:31 AM
Blake Griffin will have a better career than Michael Beasley because he's one of the most athletic player in his draft class, and He's already NBA Ready.

UConnCeltics
05-26-2009, 03:16 PM
STFU and play your position...

He got absolutely BULLIED by DeJuan Blair... someone with an NBA like build: solid-burly build with a low center of gravity. When he gets to the NBA and sees more players built like that, you'll see his real worth. He's nothing but a Chandler type... slim athletic block & rebound machine. But unless he gets on the Dwight Howard regimen when he gets to the NBA and puts on a good 40 lbs. he will never be better than Chandler.
HAHAHAHA. You pick 2 games out of the 35 he played and shove it to people as the truth. Blair was a bad matchup as he was to everyone, he ate everyone up. This is like a person saying about X player "he is a bad defender because Kobe dropped 40 on him", which was expected. Keep in mind Thabeet has only been playing basketball since 15... lots of room to grow. Now, I will say Thabeet is a pansy around the rim but once he decides to dunk the ball he is very capable of averaging a double double with 3-4 blocks.

D-Rose
05-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Jordan Hill: http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2009/05/25/nba_20090525_jordan_hill.nba/

InspiredLebowski
05-26-2009, 05:44 PM
I can't believe people think Curry'd get iso'd. He won't be able to get open without a screen in the NBA. I think he's got a role in the NBA, but I'm amazed he's rated so high in some mocks, he's a early 20s pick at best. I just don't think his game'll translate.

I do think Donnie Walsh saying he wants him is a smokescreen, certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Interminator
05-26-2009, 05:56 PM
I can't believe people think Curry'd get iso'd. He won't be able to get open without a screen in the NBA. I think he's got a role in the NBA, but I'm amazed he's rated so high in some mocks, he's a early 20s pick at best. I just don't think his game'll translate.

I do think Donnie Walsh saying he wants him is a smokescreen, certainly wouldn't be the first time.
This.

Curry is a role player at best, there is no way he should be going Lottery outside of him having big games last season in the NCAA Tournament.

Lester Hudson is a much better player but wont even get drafted.:wtf:

I swear 1/3 of GM's only watch ESPN to scout basketball players.

Csmooove23
05-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Curry is wayyy better than ppl think he was a leader for his team since freshman year of college

Interminator
05-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Curry is wayyy better than ppl think he was a leader for his team since freshman year of college
at Davidson.

We would have a much better idea of him had he transfered to Duke after his freshman year like his brother did.

Shepseskaf
04-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Bump, just for laughs.

GOBB was 100% right on Curry.

Shade8780
04-30-2013, 04:11 PM

:applause: :applause: :applause: :bowdown:

:lol :facepalm

1987_Lakers
12-06-2015, 11:27 PM
Turned out to be one of the best drafts ever

imdaman99
12-07-2015, 09:43 PM
This.

Curry is a role player at best, there is no way he should be going Lottery outside of him having big games last season in the NCAA Tournament.

Lester Hudson is a much better player but wont even get drafted.:wtf:

I swear 1/3 of GM's only watch ESPN to scout basketball players.
Why is this guy always wrong? :roll:

What name does he post with nowadays :lol