PDA

View Full Version : Why don't the L.A. Clippers just move to San Diego?

Doomsday Dallas
05-20-2009, 12:41 AM
I don't understand this team... from a business stand point.

They just won the lottery and it sucks... It seems like nobody gives a $hit about this team and they are the joke of the NBA that is in the Shadow of the Lakers.

Send them to San Diego, and you'll still keep many of the Die Hard Fans in attendance...

Somebody help me out here.

Wouldn't business be 10X better if they got some new fans... a new logo... a new jersey... and a new arena?

Showtime
05-20-2009, 12:44 AM
They already tried that, and it didn't work out.

kentatm
05-20-2009, 12:45 AM
they get a better deal being in the Staples Center than they would in SD

Sterling does not care about winning. He only care about making a profit and as long as he does in LA he will stay.

nbastatus
05-20-2009, 12:46 AM
no.. i like clippers staying in LA.

Foster5k
05-20-2009, 12:47 AM
I agree.

When I heard they won the lottery, I was like, "So what. Damn. Wish another team had won it." then I turned the channel, until the Lakers game came back on.

Seriously, who cares about the Clippers? I don't even like the name. Clippers? :lol What is this a team or a barber shop.

I've never liked the Clippers and never will. They will forever live in the shadow of the Lakers.

I've never really understood the idea of having two pro teams, in the same state anyways.. it's time for the Clippers to ship out.. seriously.

G-train
05-20-2009, 12:47 AM
They could go to Vancouver.

lol

nbastatus
05-20-2009, 12:48 AM
why cant a laker fan enjoy both teams?
i mean dude... its also a home team, nothing different from lakers.

Cerebral Jedi
05-20-2009, 12:49 AM
What makes you think San Diego wants them back? And a new logo, new uni's, and a new arena won't mean ****. It's the owner and management that needs to be new. Personally I want them to stay here. The closer they are, the more intense the laughs are.

theballerFKA Ace
05-20-2009, 12:49 AM
They are afraid of being on the frontlines of the swine flu.

Al Thornton
05-20-2009, 12:56 AM
What makes you think San Diego wants them back? And a new logo, new uni's, and a new arena won't mean ****. It's the owner and management that needs to be new. Personally I want them to stay here. The closer they are, the more intense the laughs are.

You are pathetic.

And do you also realize there are probably more Clipper fans than Sixer fans? Which is sad.

BRINKER
05-20-2009, 12:56 AM
I agree.

When I heard they won the lottery, I was like, "So what. Damn. Wish another team had won it." then I turned the channel, until the Lakers game came back on.

Seriously, who cares about the Clippers? I don't even like the name. Clippers? :lol What is this a team or a barber shop.

I've never liked the Clippers and never will. They will forever live in the shadow of the Lakers.

I've never really understood the idea of having two pro teams, in the same state anyways.. it's time for the Clippers to ship out.. seriously.

yeah but you are a bandwagon fanboy geek and every clipper fan in existence is a better and more knowledgable basketball fan than you.

nbastatus
05-20-2009, 12:57 AM
You are pathetic.

And do you also realize there are probably more Clipper fans than Sixer fans? Which is sad.
sixer fans disappeared after AI got trade.

BTrujillo
05-20-2009, 12:59 AM

Laker fan here but also a fan of the Clippers... grew up a Laker fan so they will always be my #1 team... but otherwise wish Clippers the best and root for them as long as they are not playing the Lakers... same with both local baseball teams... only team I won't root for is the USC Trojans... Go Bruins!!! :rockon:

Foster5k
05-20-2009, 01:00 AM
yeah but you are a bandwagon fanboy geek and every clipper fan in existence is a better and more knowledgable basketball fan than you.

I'm also sure every Clipper fan, in existence, can say the same for you.

I'm glad that on ISH.. there is apparently a war going on between people who think they somehow are more legit fans than others and that their basketball IQ actually accounts for something.

Thanks for letting me know that. :lol

FULL CLIP
05-20-2009, 01:02 AM
They will always make more money in LA. Let the lakers slip up a lil and the clippers make the playoffs and people here just jump on the bandwagon. Luckily about 50% of laker fans are bandwagoners so they'll jump ship to whoever is hot at the moment.

LALakerFan4Life
05-20-2009, 01:03 AM
I don't understand this team... from a business stand point.

They just won the lottery and it sucks... It seems like nobody gives a $hit about this team and they are a joke of the NBA that is in the Shadow of the Lakers.

Send them to San Diego, and you'll still keep many of the Die Hard Fans in attendance...

Somebody help me out here.

Wouldn't business be 10X better if they got some new fans... a new logo... a new jersey... and a new arena?
Because Donald Sterling said he thinks the Clippers can win a NBA title in LA.

Al Thornton
05-20-2009, 01:04 AM
Laker fan here but also a fan of the Clippers... grew up a Laker fan so they will always be my #1 team... but otherwise wish Clippers the best and root for them as long as they are not playing the Lakers... same with both local baseball teams... only team I won't root for is the USC Trojans... Go Bruins!!! :rockon:

See this is what people that live in 1 team cities don't understand. I'm not a Laker fan but I like watching their games, and with UCLA/USC I'm a huge UCLA fan but I'll still watch USC games and root for their players like OJ Mayo while not being a fan of the team.

Al Thornton
05-20-2009, 01:06 AM
Because Donald Sterling said he thinks the Clippers can win a NBA title in LA.

You think that leaving the city will make their chances somehow better? And this #1 pick is gigantic for the team. This will really motivate everybody and I won't be surprised if they win more than 40 games and make the playoffs. But it all starts with Baron, if he puts the effort in I can see it happening.

DetroitPistonFan
05-20-2009, 01:07 AM
Maybe Laker fans should show some California love and support the Warriors and Kings too. All teams are in one state. Maybe fans of other teams should do it too. Rockets, Spurs and Mavs can support each other. Knicks can and Nets fans support each other.

kentatm
You think that leaving the city will make their chances somehow better? And this #1 pick is gigantic for the team. This will really motivate everybody and I won't be surprised if they win more than 40 games and make the playoffs. But it all starts with Baron, if he puts the effort in I can see it happening.

just like Kandiman did for them back in teh day!

:lol

GiveItToBurrito
they get a better deal being in the Staples Center than they would in SD

Sterling does not care about winning. He only care about making a profit and as long as he does in LA he will stay.

Yep. He's almost like the Uwe Boll of owners in that he creates a horrible product but he gets to keep on doing it because he makes just enough money.

kentatm
05-20-2009, 01:08 AM
Maybe Laker fans should show some California love and support the Warriors and Kings too. All teams are in one state. Maybe fans of other teams should do it too. Rockets, Spurs and Mavs can support each other. Knicks can and Nets fans support each other.

NO

there can only be one.

kentatm
05-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Yep. He's almost like the Uwe Boll of owners in that he creates a horrible product but he gets to keep on doing it because he makes just enough money.

:roll:

QFT!

LALakerFan4Life
05-20-2009, 01:13 AM

Maybe leaving the city might be better for them. Maybe not. LA's fan base is huge for the Lakers. When you think of LA you think of the Lakers. No disrespect to the Clippers. I just think Anaheim or San Diego deserves a team. Clippers can move back to one of those cities. I think their fan base can be huge there.

cotdt
05-20-2009, 01:16 AM
A lot of people in San Diego have close connections to LA also, so people here cheers for the Lakers. It makes no difference. If Lakers come to San Diego to play the Clippers, fans will still cheer overwhelmingly for the Lakers.

BTrujillo
05-20-2009, 01:21 AM
See this is what people that live in 1 team cities don't understand. I'm not a Laker fan but I like watching their games, and with UCLA/USC I'm a huge UCLA fan but I'll still watch USC games and root for their players like OJ Mayo while not being a fan of the team.

hahaha yeah... well i will never root for them while at USC... there is a shirt I saw that read " My two favorite teams are UCLA and any team playing USC."

but once they leave USC I do follow and wish them well... basketball and football

mbell75
05-20-2009, 01:23 AM
They should actually be playing here in Anaheim at the Honda center. We support our local teams here. Just as long as they dont change their name to the Los Angeles Clipper of Anaheim :rolleyes:

Mgamer20o0
05-20-2009, 01:45 AM
i fully support the LA teams lol lakers or clips. i been to more clips games then lakers games though i am a lakers fan. i support what ever team is in LA good or bad, even the Los Angeles angels of Anaheim lol

Al Thornton
05-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Maybe leaving the city might be better for them. Maybe not. LA's fan base is huge for the Lakers. When you think of LA you think of the Lakers. No disrespect to the Clippers. I just think Anaheim or San Diego deserves a team. Clippers can move back to one of those cities. I think their fan base can be huge there.

I wouldn't really give a **** if they moved to Anaheim or San Diego but what does it really do? Will the team change? Will there be more fans? Probably not.

Chi-Van City
05-20-2009, 02:05 AM
Clippers should move to Vancouver.

oh the horror
05-20-2009, 02:09 AM

Im actually pretty stoked for the Clippers, their fans, and Los Angeles with this potential pick of Blake. I think it'll help the organization for certain.

With that being said, I dont think San Diego would be a bad choice either. Great, great place.

Apples
05-20-2009, 02:10 AM
If it's true that they stay in LA for profit issues, then I think that's really sad. They should go back to San Diego, because despite them being in LA, no one looks at them as the Los Angeles Clippers; they are simply the Clippers, and come off as the black sheep of LA's teams.

Lakers and Mavs are my favorite teams, but I also like other teams (just not as much), like the Bulls and Blazers, because of their roster. And I want to like the Clippers, but they just seem so out of place in LA.

If they're in their own city, you can't help but think they'll be expected to do a lot more than they have since coming to LA, where no one really wants to promote them over the Lakers; that includes fans or the media, and especially not the NBA.

cotdt
05-20-2009, 02:12 AM
As a resident of LA, I'm happy that we have 2 teams, so we have double the chance of winning the Championships each year.

BRINKER
05-20-2009, 02:13 AM
just wait 3-4 years when all the wannabe-trendy LA bandwagon yuppies see all the old/washed up players on the lakers mixed with all the no-name 30th overall draft picks and then look over and see guys like Gordon, Griffin, Jordan etc. on the Clippers and the same follower-ass know-nothing laker frontrunners who gave clipper fans a bunch of **** will suddenly act like they're down with the other LA team and its all love lol gtfo

monkeypox
05-20-2009, 02:30 AM
It would be really stupid for them to leave. They're one of the few teams to consistantly turn a profit. The got to move in to a state of the art arena without doing any of the heavy lifting on the place. Every few years they get gifted an elite player through the draft and get to pay him peanuts while he's on his rookie salary. May not be prestigious, but at least they're not having to contemplate moving against their will like the Sonics or the Celtics.

oh the horror
05-20-2009, 02:37 AM
just wait 3-4 years when all the wannabe-trendy LA bandwagon yuppies see all the old/washed up players on the lakers mixed with all the no-name 30th overall draft picks and then look over and see guys like Gordon, Griffin, Jordan etc. on the Clippers and the same follower-ass know-nothing laker frontrunners who gave clipper fans a bunch of **** will suddenly act like they're down with the other LA team and its all love lol gtfo

Living in LA, i do NOT doubt for a second that it could go down that way.

gasolina
05-20-2009, 02:52 AM
I agree that the Clippers shouldn't move on a business standpoint. However, that's just BS for a basketball fan. Look at cities like Seattle clamoring for a team while franchises like the Clippers latch on to a city that does not need them for $$$.

Seriously, are there any Los Angeles residents who root for the Clippers #1 then the Lakers, or not at all? It seems those living in Los Angeles just like the fact that they have a default #2 team.

monkeypox
05-20-2009, 03:00 AM
I agree that the Clippers shouldn't move on a business standpoint. However, that's just BS for a basketball fan. Look at cities like Seattle clamoring for a team while franchises like the Clippers latch on to a city that does not need them for $$$.

Seriously, are there any Los Angeles residents who root for the Clippers #1 then the Lakers, or not at all? It seems those living in Los Angeles just like the fact that they have a default #2 team.

There are plenty of clipper only fans in LA, trust me. In fact some of the are the most ardent laker haters out there.

It sucks that there are cities without nba franchises, but I don't believe any city is owed one. Like I don't think LA is owed an NFL team just because it's LA. If a city thinks it can support an NBA team then it's up to them to build the infrastructure and lure a team out there.

ZeN
05-20-2009, 05:45 AM
E.Gor and Griffin together? FTW

cotdt
05-20-2009, 05:55 AM
I hope the Clippers sign Allen Iverson as well, he can lead the team to a playoffs season.

JtotheIzzo
05-20-2009, 06:01 AM
putting them in Anaheim would actually make the most sense.

Manute for Ever!
05-20-2009, 06:37 AM
I like their old look:

http://www.nba.com/media/clippers/sandiegoclippers_150x150.gif

http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/a/ae/Clips_walton_80.jpg

http://www.dickscourtroom.com/IM_Washington2.jpg

For those who don't know, a 'Clipper' is a type of boat.

GreatGreg
05-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Kind of irrelevant, I've been wanting to say this for some time, but....

Why the **** would you be a Clippers fan when you live in the same city as the ****ing Lakers? I never understood that. At all. It's like choosing Copper over Gold...:confusedshrug:

Manute for Ever!
05-20-2009, 08:17 AM

Why the **** would you be a Clippers fan when you live in the same city as the ****ing Lakers? I never understood that. At all. It's like choosing Copper over Gold...:confusedshrug:

You can be biased toward your team and not be stereotyped as a "typical Laker fan" :D

kwajo
05-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Because San Diego is too old, white, and Republican.
Works fine for Orlando

depletedW
05-20-2009, 10:12 AM
I have always thought the Clippers would be better off in a new city. They will always be treated as the bastard step-child when they are in the same town as the lakers. But moving a team to a new city might be tough right now because of the economy. But the biggest problem with the Clipps is that they have an owner who semms to care way more about the financial potential of owning an nba team rather than actually trying to win.

Interminator
05-20-2009, 11:00 AM
If they ever move it would to be to Anaheim, but Anaheim would have to cut as good or a better deal than what they have at Staples Center.

Its also tough for a city that doesn't have basketball at all to attach themselves to such a perennial loser like the Clippers.

amfirst
05-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Anaheim is full of Mexicans and we all know Mexicans are Lakers fans.

It's unfortunate that they have to be in LA. LA is lakers land. No one cares about the Clippers. Unless, they are playing the Lakers, the tickets are a lot cheaper to see the Laks.

Interminator
05-20-2009, 11:31 AM

It's unfortunate that they have to be in LA. LA is lakers land. No one cares about the Clippers. Unless, they are playing the Lakers, the tickets are a lot cheaper to see the Laks.
San Jose.

Its such a large city and doesn't have much to compete with the Clippers in the area in terms of professional sports.

Huey Freeman
05-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Works fine for Utah
Fixed.

Huey Freeman
05-20-2009, 11:45 AM
San Jose.

Its such a large city and doesn't have much to compete with the Clippers in the area in terms of professional sports.
Warriors.

CarpeDiemKJ
05-20-2009, 01:31 PM
They should move to Anaheim or San Diego. L.A. Is a Laker town. Well, 2004-2006, the Clippers were the flavor of month. But it'll never happen. Donald Sterling is an L.A. Native, he clearly doesn't care about making his team a consistent winner, and the front ofice is a joke. I don't think they even have a professional facility, to practive and train.

CarpeDiemKJ
05-20-2009, 01:34 PM

I could've sworn Anaheim was a lily white city. Whenever I watch Angels games on MLB Extra Innings, the fans inside Angels Stadium are mostly white. And yes, I'm an Angels fan in NYC (Yankee fan first).

Interminator
05-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Warriors.
Need another team for the area.

ShawnieMac06
05-20-2009, 03:32 PM
I don't think they even have a professional facility, to practive and train.

They actually opened their new practice facilty and team headquarters this past September. If you're familiar with the Westside of L.A. (or just L.A. in general), if you're heading south on the 405 towards LAX, it's just west of the freeway near the Fox Hills Mall and Howard Hughes Promenade. You gotta search around for pictures...I've seen pictures of the interior, it's mighty damn impressive.

Huey Freeman
05-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Sacramento is only an hour+ away.

GiveItToBurrito
05-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Why don't they move to Mexico City? There are like 20 million people living there, I'd think they could sell even more tickets than they do in Los Angeles.

depletedW
05-20-2009, 03:55 PM
California is already pretty well represented in the nba. There are 4 teams in the state alone. If Clipps were to move, it would most benefit them to move to a state without a team that would be more likely to embrace them.

Al Thornton
05-20-2009, 05:48 PM
E.Gor and Griffin together? FTW

THATS RIGHT. :cheers:

Personal choice? Something you like about the team? Not into bandwagons?