PDA

View Full Version : Rubio Doesn't Want To Go To Memphis or OKC?

qrich
05-21-2009, 02:07 AM
While Oklahoma City would obviously be extremely interested in the prospect of acquiring the top pick and drafting local product Blake Griffin, there is one team standing in their way – the Memphis Grizzlies, who own the #2 pick. From what people around the league are saying, Rubio’s camp may already be sending out feelers indicating that he’s not interested in the least bit in playing in Memphis.

“Rubio doesn’t want to go to Memphis, and he especially does not want to pay money out of his own pocket with that huge buyout for the honor of doing so. Fegan [Rubio’s agent] wants him in L.A., and if he can’t have him there, he wants him in Sacramento. Definitely not Oklahoma City. “

Unlike Griffin or Hasheem Thabeet, who don’t really have any choice where they will play next season if a team decides to play hardball, Rubio has a reasonably attractive alternative option at his disposal—returning to Spain.

“He’ll pull out if he doesn’t like what he’s hearing,” the NBA source tells us. “Or he can stay in and force the Grizzlies to call his bluff—would they really take him knowing that he may never come over? That’s one way to get him to fall to three.”

Fegan is already highly experienced in these matters, having unsuccessfully attempted to navigate fellow client Yi Jianlian towards the team of his choice in the 2007 draft, only to see Milwaukee foil his plans and pick him anyway. This time, though, he has a lot more leverage, as Rubio would likely have no problem staying in Badalona for another year or two or more if push came to shove. His buyout after all, is yet to be resolved, which in this case may actually be an advantage.

The Grizzlies are clearly aware of the politics surrounding their pick, but do not appear to be in any rush to make any decisions. “We’ll talk about all those things when they come up,” their General Manager Chris Wallace told us. “Right now we’re still in evaluation mode. We haven’t had any conversations with him [Rubio] or anyone else in his camp.”

Wallace shared that he will be headed out to Spain this weekend to watch Rubio compete in game three of the ACB playoffs, where Joventut will try to advance to the semifinals with a road win over Real Madrid. “I sent someone out there last week to watch him in the playoffs just in case we were able to move up,” Wallace told us. “He’s hardly a sleeper and he hasn’t been very difficult to track. We feel very comfortable with what we know about him right now.”

When asked whether Mike Conley’s status as Memphis’ tentative starter will deter the Grizzlies from selecting another point guard, Wallace indicated that that won’t be a factor. “We’re not in a position to be drafting for need. We’re going to go after the biggest talent available, whether that’s a big man or a point guard or whatever.”

What might make the most sense on paper would be for the Clippers and Grizzlies to work out a trade in which Memphis could take Griffin and Los Angeles would get Rubio. For that to happen, Memphis would have to part with one of their core assets, likely Rudy Gay. Obviously we’ll have to stay tuned, because as John Hollinger correctly indicated in his latest column last night’s lottery left more questions than answers for the teams drafting in the top 5.

Jonathan Givony on DraftXpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#NBA-Draft-Roundup-May-20-3224)

lilderrickrose
05-21-2009, 02:13 AM
All Rookies say that, about sh!tty teams.
O.J. Mayo said he didn't want to play for T'Wolves, but he would have played there if they didn't trade him. Yi said he didn't want to play for the Bucks, he played for them. So on and So on.

artificial
05-21-2009, 02:14 AM
I hate when player does this. You want to choose where to play? Wait until you can sign as a FA. I'm a fan of Rubio, but I hate this kind of attitude.

Let's hope it's only on Fegan. The article said there has been no direct contact yet between Rubio and Memphis.

Oh, and f*ck Dan Fegan.

BRINKER
05-21-2009, 02:18 AM
O.J. Mayo said he didn't want to play for T'Wolves, but he would have played there if they didn't trade him. Yi said he didn't want to play for the Bucks, he played for them. So on and So on.

completely different situation.

at first as soon as the clippers won the pick, i toyed with the idea of rubio. but after more clear-headed consideration, we're taking griffin, and not entertaining any realistic trades that would involve moving him.

chains5000
05-21-2009, 02:21 AM
I'm sure it's just his agent talking. It's not like it's the first time, right?

joe
05-21-2009, 02:29 AM

Yeah but none of them had an 8 million dollar contract waiting for them in Spain.

Kobe Jnr
05-21-2009, 02:29 AM
ungrateful guy, at least be happy that your gonna play in the best league in the world.

Hammertime
05-21-2009, 02:33 AM
I hate when player does this. You want to choose where to play? Wait until you can sign as a FA. I'm a fan of Rubio, but I hate this kind of attitude. .

He can't wait to sign as a FA. If he stays in Spain, his rights are simply retained by the team that drafted him.

I don't blame him though, the kid's from Barcelona and he's now expected to live in OKC or Memphis?

BRINKER
05-21-2009, 02:34 AM
ungrateful guy, at least be happy that your gonna play in the best league in the world.

:rolleyes:

qrich
05-21-2009, 02:36 AM
Yeah but none of them had an 8 million dollar contract waiting for them in Spain.

Yep, and I don't think Jianlin had a buy out of $6-8 million this year, with $11 million next. Rubio could just simply remain in Spain until the 2011-12 season and remain their if he doesn't get what he wants. Some leverage, something Yi really didn't have.

Mgamer20o0
05-21-2009, 02:36 AM
heck half the season is on the road anyways i dont see whats the big deal.

gyu
05-21-2009, 02:39 AM
Same agent as Yi Jianlian, coincidence?

GoldMedallist
05-21-2009, 03:12 AM

Come on, if he comes with 2nd pick, he would have to pay near 85% of his 3 years's pay to DKV Joventut.

Would you came to NBA to play with Memphis for free? Sure I wouldn't.

chains5000
05-21-2009, 03:15 AM
Come on, if he comes with 2nd pick, he would have to pay near 85% of his 3 years's pay to DKV Joventut.

I don't think he'd declared for the draft if he weren't 100% sure of going to the NBA regardless of the team.
Going to Memphis didn't go bad for Pau, right?

Narf
05-21-2009, 03:19 AM

Maybe he thinks that anybody should be dying to go to a ****hole in USA to play in a crappy team instead of living in a nice city in Spain and play for a championship contending team :roll:

Younggrease
05-21-2009, 03:20 AM
I don't think he'd declared for the draft if he weren't 100% sure of going to the NBA regardless of the team.

is that sarcasm?

chains5000
05-21-2009, 03:23 AM
is that sarcasm?
No.
He went to a bad team where he had minutes and allowed him to grow as a player and be the team leader. Just what Ricky needs to reach his potential.

ZHAKIDD532
05-21-2009, 03:31 AM
Unfortunately, he has all the leverage. He can just not show up and stay in Spain.

It's too bad for him that LA isn't even considering him. LA has already come and said they're taking Blake Griffin.

Maybe Sacramento can make a deal with Memphis for the pick.

KeylessEntry
05-21-2009, 03:34 AM
This thread should be renamed "Rubio's Agent doesnt want him to go to Memphis or OKC" because I didnt see any quotes from Rubio in there.

GoldMedallist
05-21-2009, 03:34 AM

He wasted 7 years carrying the worst NBA market do playoffs only to get swept of them three times.

chains5000
05-21-2009, 03:38 AM
He wasted 7 years carrying the worst NBA market do playoffs only to get swept of them three times.
But he got the minutes to develop. It his "first job" in the NBA, what he needs is room to improve, winning isn't important yet.

chains5000
05-21-2009, 03:40 AM
This thread should be renamed "Rubio's Agent doesnt want him to go to Memphis or OKC" because I didnt see any quotes from Rubio in there.
This is ISH, what did you expect?

artificial
05-21-2009, 03:43 AM
He can't wait to sign as a FA. If he stays in Spain, his rights are simply retained by the team that drafted him.
My bad. I was thinking of him withdrawing his name from the draft (he still can?). But even then he would be automatically eligible at some point.

Kebab Stall
05-21-2009, 03:53 AM
Doesn't bother me, I don't want Rubio anyway. I'd just pick him anyway and then trade him away for solid PF. Although, if Rubio's agent wants him in LA, then fine, the Clipps can pick Rubio and we (Grizzlies) will have Griffin.

Problem solved.

Undisputed
05-21-2009, 03:53 AM
They should tell that little punk to just stay playing Euroball then. If he doesn't like that he could end up anywhere and if he doesn't like the draft process, to hell with him. Can't believe he's trying to come into the NBA with this kind of garbage. :rolleyes:

chains5000
05-21-2009, 03:55 AM
They should tell that little punk to just stay playing Euroball then. If he doesn't like that he could end up anywhere and if he doesn't like the draft process, to hell with him. Can't believe he's trying to come into the NBA with this kind of garbage. :rolleyes:
It's just his agent.

Figlo
05-21-2009, 03:57 AM
It's a lie!!!

Rubio wants to go to Memphis...He wants to play with his national teammate Marc Gasol.

Undisputed
05-21-2009, 03:59 AM
It's just his agent.

He needs to fire his agent then. As long as his agent is spewing that stuff, I'm going to assume Rubio supports it.

BRINKER
05-21-2009, 04:02 AM
He needs to fire his agent then. As long as his agent is spewing that stuff, I'm going to assume Rubio supports it.

it annoys me when fans see athletes as video game pieces and think that as a fan they are entitled to decide how a player should live his life.

Going to a new city in a new country is a career move. This is a kid's future career here and its no different than a business major deciding what to do out of college. Would you want Ricky Rubio telling you where you should or should not, could or could not accept a job offer? If not, then back off.

Undisputed
05-21-2009, 04:09 AM
it annoys me when fans see athletes as video game pieces and think that as a fan they are entitled to decide how a player should live his life.

Going to a new city in a new country is a career move. This is a kid's future career here and its no different than a business major deciding what to do out of college. Would you want Ricky Rubio telling you where you should or should not, could or could not accept a job offer? If not, then back off.

Being talked about comes along with being a public figure. If I didn't want people talking about me, I wouldn't be trying to play basketball for the NBA.

The thing about the NBA is that he really has no choice right now. The draft process is simple, you go wherever you're picked. Do you not realize this? What makes him so special that he gets to pick what city he goes to?

Why are you on an NBA forum if you're so against discussion on players and prospects? I'm not trying to say where he should go, I'm just saying he should have to be like everyone else and go where he is drafted without b*tching.

bigkingsfan
05-21-2009, 04:13 AM
Well I'll be damn, someone actually wants to go to Sacramento. Finally I can eat the bullet I've been saving.

joe
05-21-2009, 04:14 AM
Being talked about comes along with being a public figure. If I didn't want people talking about me, I wouldn't be trying to play basketball for the NBA.

The thing about the NBA is that he really has no choice right now. The draft process is simple, you go wherever you're picked. Do you not realize this? What makes him so special that he gets to pick what city he goes to? If you support players whining about where they go in the draft, then you're slow.

Why are you on an NBA forum if you're so against discussion on other people's life?

He does have a choice though, to stay in Spain. The NBA isn't the only logical destination for professional basketball players anymore.

In order to come to the NBA, he has to 1) pay most of his buyout, 8 million dollars worth, and 2) play for a franchise that has continually shown an unwillingness to spend money and make the smart moves it takes to contend. So why not just live comfortably in your home country, become a millionairre, and contend for championships?

You want someone to blame? Blame the NBA for awarding the most inept franchises with lottery picks. Who's idea was it to reward the Clippers with Blake Griffin, despite their routinely bad management decisions and player personnel?

Se
05-21-2009, 04:14 AM
I wouldn't want to play for the Grizzlies either. They could be re-located at any time.

I'd have no problem playing for OKC though. Good young team and a cool city.

Undisputed
05-21-2009, 04:17 AM
He does have a choice though, to stay in Spain. The NBA isn't the only logical destination for professional basketball players anymore.

In order to come to the NBA, he has to 1) pay most of his buyout, 8 million dollars worth, and 2) play for a franchise that has continually shown an unwillingness to spend money and make the smart moves it takes to contend. So why not just live comfortably in your home country, become a millionairre, and contend for championships?

You want someone to blame? Blame the NBA for awarding the most inept franchises with lottery picks. Who's idea was it to reward the Clippers with Blake Griffin, despite their routinely bad management decisions and player personnel?
Like I said, if he doesn't like how the NBA draft process works, he can stay where he is. Number one of what you listed is true, but number 2, why does he deserve that kind of special treatment? So you feel he should be able to dictate where he goes because one team has a better agenda when it comes to winning than the other? I can't believe people are actually supporting this BS.

The draft process is the same almost everywhere. It's a balance of power. The weakest teams get the best players from the draft, and it works.

LakersLaLaLand
05-21-2009, 04:24 AM

Hey Jr.

Daddy Kobe his father and his agent made similar claims before the 96 draft. Charlotte Hornets picked Kobe at 13. Then he was immediately traded for Vlade Divac.

Some people get what they want. Especially when they make it known.

noob cake
05-21-2009, 04:25 AM
His agent doesn't know much about OKC. Small town, but not as depressing as Memphis the official DLeague of LA.

joe
05-21-2009, 04:43 AM
Like I said, if he doesn't like how the NBA draft process works, he can stay where he is. Number one of what you listed is true, but number 2, why does he deserve that kind of special treatment? So you feel he should be able to dictate where he goes because one team has a better agenda when it comes to winning than the other? I can't believe people are actually supporting this BS.

The draft process is the same almost everywhere. It's a balance of power. The weakest teams get the best players from the draft, and it works.

Explain to me how the draft process works? The same teams are in the lottery every season. Every now and then a franchise drafts a true hero, think Lebron or Dwight, and manages to escape the cellar. But other than that it's a laundry list of familiar faces; the Clippers, Bucks, Pacers, Bobcats, Golden State, Minnesota, Memphis, Sacramento. Again and again these teams are rewarded for their ineptitude, and again and again they wind up praying to the ping-pong ball gods.

In premise, the lottery system sounds stellar. You give the struggling teams a better chance at getting the next superstar, thus halting any one small group of teams to continually dominate the league. But in practice it promotes tanking, rewards mediocre GM's, and forces the best young players to spend the first 4-5 years of their career playing for the L.A. Clippers of the universe.

Ricky Rubio and Yi are only the first peel of the banana. Soon enough a foreign league will emerge that's willing to pay American rookies bigger money than the rookie scale. And when it's that or the Memphis Grizzlies, learning Spanish/Greek/French doesn't sound so bad.

chains5000
05-21-2009, 04:51 AM
Ricky Rubio and Yi are only the first peel of the banana.
What do they got in common?:rolleyes:

joe
05-21-2009, 04:54 AM
What do they got in common?:rolleyes:

They both reportedly refused to play for certain teams. Yi's agent said he'd like Yi to play for a big market, and now this similar issue with Ricky.

Unless you meant what those two have in common with a banana. Well, Yi's the same color as a banana :D jp jp

Undisputed
05-21-2009, 05:00 AM
Explain to me how the draft process works? The same teams are in the lottery every season. Every now and then a franchise drafts a true hero, think Lebron or Dwight, and manages to escape the cellar. But other than that it's a laundry list of familiar faces; the Clippers, Bucks, Pacers, Bobcats, Golden State, Minnesota, Memphis, Sacramento. Again and again these teams are rewarded for their ineptitude, and again and again they wind up praying to the ping-pong ball gods.

The draft process works because you're giving the worst teams the best prospects. It would make no sense to give the best prospects in the draft to the good teams. How exactly would you like it to work?

The draft gives those teams that stuggle a chance to have a successful player and future. In each draft, there's only so many guys that will actually become a special talent. The draft is hit or miss. Another option teams have is to trade the draft picks for players already in the NBA. It's less lopsided to have the worst teams given the best talent from the draft than any other way.

In premise, the lottery system sounds stellar. You give the struggling teams a better chance at getting the next superstar, thus halting any one small group of teams to continually dominate the league. But in practice it promotes tanking, rewards mediocre GM's, and forces the best young players to spend the first 4-5 years of their career playing for the L.A. Clippers of the universe.

Got a better way to do it? It's how things have work with sport drafts because it's really the only logical way to do it. A lot of those young players have gone to crappy places and made something of it. If they prove to be a dominant talent, teams will usually build on that. If a player turns out to be mediocre, then they're just as screwed as they were the previous seasons. It's not a reward, it's just fair.

Ricky Rubio and Yi are only the first peel of the banana. Soon enough a foreign league will emerge that's willing to pay American rookies bigger money than the rookie scale. And when it's that or the Memphis Grizzlies, learning Spanish/Greek/French doesn't sound so bad.

Until that day, they need to just suck it up and stop complaining. The draft is what it is, no prospect should have the power to decide which city picks them. They know how the NBA works, if anything about it sounds unappealing, then don't join that league.

chains5000
05-21-2009, 05:02 AM
They both reportedly refused to play for certain teams. Yi's agent said he'd like Yi to play for a big market, and now this similar issue with Ricky.

Unless you meant what those two have in common with a banana. Well, Yi's the same color as a banana :D jp jp
SAME AGENT

Undisputed
05-21-2009, 05:06 AM

:roll: :roll:

Hope there's no chinese people reading that.

joe
05-21-2009, 05:19 AM
The draft process works because you're giving the worst teams the best prospects. It would make no sense to give the best prospects in the draft to the good teams. How exactly would you like it to work?

The draft gives those teams that stuggle a chance to have a successful player and future. In each draft, there's only so many guys that will actually become a special talent. The draft is hit or miss. Another option teams have is to trade the draft picks for players already in the NBA. It's less lopsided to have the worst teams given the best talent from the draft than any other way.

Got a better way to do it? It's how things have work with sport drafts because it's really the only logical way to do it. A lot of those young players have gone to crappy places and made something of it. If they prove to be a dominant talent, teams will usually build on that. If a player turns out to be mediocre, then they're just as screwed as they were the previous seasons. It's not a reward, it's just fair.

Until that day, they need to just suck it up and stop complaining. The draft is what it is, no prospect should have the power to decide which city picks them. They know how the NBA works, if anything about it sounds unappealing, then don't join that league.

Think about this. Whenever a team that wasn't that bad to begin with gets the top pick, it's nothing but good things for the NBA. Examples: The Bulls draft Derrick Rose, the Magic use a high draft pick to draft Penny Hardaway, the Trail Blazers get Oden. Do any of these circumstances upset you?

I see nothing wrong with turning a decent team into a good/very good team via the draft, rather than allowing a mediocre GM to keep his job for 3 extra years under the guise of "building around their new top pick." Meanwhile, they're signing players like Baron Davis to huge, multi-year deals, burying their good young players on the bench, refusing to fire their much-maligned coach, etc.

So maybe the answer is to give every team except the leagues top-5 an equal chance at getting the top pick. This discourages tanking because top-5 teams will consider themselves contenders, and probably wouldn't intentionally lose just to have a 4 percent chance of getting the top pick.

Imagine a team like the Mavericks got the top pick? What's upsetting about that? Aren't you 100 times more psyched for next season if Blake Griffin is sharing a frontcourt with Dirk Nowitzki, rather than warming the bench while Mike Dunleavy plays Zack Randolph and Kaman?

joe
05-21-2009, 05:27 AM
:roll: :roll:

Hope there's no chinese people reading that.

:D Glad you liked ! loll

bagelred
05-21-2009, 08:49 AM
I predicted this was coming. Rubio must be so pissed. The two likely teams to pick him are either Memphis or OKC. :lol OMG, that is worst case for Rubio.

Plus he's got a HUGE buyout. I predicted if he doesn't get the choice of places he wants to go, he'll simply stay in Spain, honor his contract there, and wait another year or two.....

This is the best chance for my Knicks to get Rubio. C'mon Memphis, #8 pick and Nate Robinson for #2.....

wang4three
05-21-2009, 08:56 AM
He could just suck in pre-draft camps and fall.

Kebab Stall
05-21-2009, 08:58 AM
I predicted this was coming. Rubio must be so pissed. The two likely teams to pick him are either Memphis or OKC. :lol OMG, that is worst case for Rubio.

Plus he's got a HUGE buyout. I predicted if he doesn't get the choice of places he wants to go, he'll simply stay in Spain, honor his contract there, and wait another year or two.....

This is the best chance for my Knicks to get Rubio. C'mon Memphis, #8 pick and Nate Robinson for #2.....
I'd rather trade the entire team for a bag of peanuts, a dinosaur colouring book and AIDS than trading the 2nd pick for that inked up pip-squeak, who's only skill is to jump high.

wang4three
05-21-2009, 09:00 AM
I'd rather trade the entire team for a bag of peanuts, a dinosaur colouring book and AIDS than trading the 2nd pick for that inked up pip-squeak, who's only skill is to jump high.

Come on, Nate has his attitude issues, but he's a pretty good player; had the Knicks made the playoffs his name would've been in contention for 6th man of the year. However, I do agree that Memphis shouldn't take on an older 5-9 version of OJ Mayo.

bagelred
05-21-2009, 09:05 AM

Wow....that's pretty strong words......

First of all, it was #8 pick and Nate, not just Nate......

Second, Nate scored 17 points in 30 minutes a game last year. Only one of most exciting players in game, but I know, since he's a Knick, he's worthless, right? It must have all been run-and-gun right?

Nate had a better scoring rate than Gay or Mayo per 48 minutes. :oldlol: He becomes your best player.

Hey, I probably wouldn't do it either, but its not a ridiculous offer, especially if Knicks throw in another asset.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 09:14 AM

Second, Nate scored 17 points in 30 minutes a game last year. Only one of most exciting players in game, but I know, since he's a Knick, he's worthless, right? It must have all been run-and-gun right?

Hey, I probably wouldn't do it either, but its not a ridiculous offer, especially if Knicks throw in another asset.
I dont want Nate either, not because of I feel hes overrated by D'Antoni's system but because he will be requesting starter money this offseason and for the Grizzlies he would only end up as our 6th Man coming in to ballhog and get his points before going back to the bench.

I'd rather do Rubio(#2 Pick),Jaric,Darko for #8,2011 1st Round Pick,Chandler,Duhon,& Eddy Curry.

Yes I said Eddy Curry.

Toizumi
05-21-2009, 09:18 AM
I understand his (his agent's) reasoning and I know this has happened before, but I still think refusing to go to certain teams is stupid. The NBA draft is where the teams pick players, not the other way around. Ricky entered the draft, knowing that he would be an early pick and probably end up on a 'bad' team. I hope this doesnt mean we wont see him in the league next year. that would sck. :rant

Interminator
05-21-2009, 09:19 AM
The agent usually is just the public voice of his handlers,& Nike.

Everyone believed it was Yi's agent who didn't want him in Milwaukee, until after 1 year Yi was then traded from Milwaukee to New Jersey(a bigger market) and now looks to be forcing his way back on to the trading block.

OKC & Memphis aren't big markets & although both teams have young stars neither expect to compete in the next 2 seasons as we both build.

Where did Sacramento come from?
Does Fegan think that this would be a good calculated move if the Kings end up in Las Vegas in a few years.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 09:23 AM
I understand his (his agent's) reasoning and I know this has happened before, but I still think refusing to go to certain teams is stupid. The NBA draft is where the teams pick players, not the other way around. Ricky entered the draft, knowing that he would be an early pick and probably end up on a 'bad' team. I hope this doesnt mean we wont see him in the league next year. that would sck. :rant
Yeah a lot of players aren't grateful anymore about the love of the game and the opportunity to play in the NBA, a majority of players' decisions are fueled by money through contracts,shoe deals,promotional deals,etc.

Rubio holds the leverage, if he wants to go to LA,Sacramento,Portland or New York he can make it happen or spend the next 3 or 4 years in Spain while a team wastes their high lottery pick on him trying to convince him to come over.

Kobe did the same thing and Charlotte was smart enough to finalize a good trade offer from LA at the time to help them improve immediately.

Floppy
05-21-2009, 09:25 AM

Exactly. Like any of you guys wouldn't try to have a word on your future.

Hypocrites :rolleyes:

bagelred
05-21-2009, 09:36 AM
I'd rather do Rubio(#2 Pick),Jaric,Darko for #8,2011 1st Round Pick,Chandler,Duhon,& Eddy Curry.

Yes I said Eddy Curry.

That's way too much for Knicks to give up.

Firstly, believe it or not, Curry is an ASSET. Some team would be very smart to pick up Curry since Knicks are going to simply give him away. Unfortantely for Knicks, they need cap space and Curry doesn't fit D'Antoni's style...worst of both worlds.

You are trying to pull off a "Hershel Walker" trade, which is a good idea. But that is WAY WAY too much. That's essentially 5 good talents for 1. No dice.

#8, Chris Duhon, Eddy Curry for #2 and Darko.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 09:44 AM
That's way too much for Knicks to give up.

Firstly, believe it or not, Curry is an ASSET. Some team would be very smart to pick up Curry since Knicks are going to simply give him away. Unfortantely for Knicks, they need cap space and Curry doesn't fit D'Antoni's style...worst of both worlds.

You are trying to pull off a "Hershel Walker" trade, which is a good idea. But that is WAY WAY too much. That's essentially 5 good talents for 1. No dice.

#8, Chris Duhon, Eddy Curry for #2 and Darko.
#8, Wilson Chandler, Eddy Curry for #2 and Jaric.

Adriana Lima doesn't even come to our games.:oldlol:

bagelred
05-21-2009, 09:53 AM
#8, Wilson Chandler, Eddy Curry for #2 and Jaric.

No deal. Can't take Jaric's contract and Chandler's a keeper.

#8, Chris Duhon or Nate Robinson, Eddy Curry, cash for #2 and Darko.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 09:57 AM
No deal. Don't want Jaric's contract and Chandler's a keeper.

#8, Chris Duhon, Eddy Curry, cash for #2 and Darko.
#2, Hakim Warrick for #8, Wilson Chandler, Eddy Curry.

Warrick was solid for us last season and could provide some production at the 3/4 position for New York.

No deal without Chandler, he could be expendable if Cocky returns next season.

bagelred
05-21-2009, 10:24 AM
#2, Hakim Warrick for #8, Wilson Chandler, Eddy Curry.

Warrick was solid for us last season and could provide some production at the 3/4 position for New York.

No deal without Chandler, he could be expendable if Cocky returns next season.

Knicks aren't giving up Chandler. Way too much upside and he's perfect for D'Antoni's system and he's signed cheaply until after 2010. That's not gonna happen. Knicks would rather just take #8 selection then. Chandler has future All Star potential, if he puts it all together.

Kebab Stall
05-21-2009, 10:35 AM

Nate had a better scoring rate than Gay or Mayo per 48 minutes. :oldlol: He becomes your best player.

Yup, you hit the nail on the head with that one, he's a knick that's why I don't want him. Great logic there chief.

I also don't care about the system he was in, because Memphis also play a run and gun style of ball, so Nate might actually do well in our system, if we didn't already have 2 players (Mayo and Gay) who already demand a lot of the ball and already take a lot of shots between them. We don't need another top scorer, well not yet anyway, we have other needs.

We need a backup point that can come in and control the game (something I don't see Nate do), sure Nate can score, but he can't control the game nor direct traffic. We also need a starting PF, before we address anything else. We also need some solid bench players.

oh the horror
05-21-2009, 11:14 AM
The way i see it is....

This is the way the league is run. If you do not like it, then do not join it.

Stay in Spain.

The kid is 18 years old, wants to come over to this country, and play in the NBA but only on his conditions? Well, I dont walk into a job and begin making demands. That isnt the way it works, ESPECIALLY if im a newcomer.

And if its his agent making the demands, then why isnt Ricky stepping up to clear the air?

Thats an obnoxious situation all the way around.

Foster5k
05-21-2009, 11:26 AM
:lol

Rubio probably will never play in the NBA. It's funny people are saying, "Oh..it's just his agent talking." or .. "Rubio wants to play, in the NBA, his agent is screwing it up."

Let's get one thing clear.. Rubio knows exactly what the hell is going on. He knows what his agent is putting forth. You think this kid is that stupid? Trust me. Rubio doesn't want to play for those two teams(Memphis or OKC). As I see it.. Rubio isn't going to show up.. period

-He making great money in Spain
-Spain his is home
-He has legion of fans in Spain
-He getting all the fresh Spainish pu$$y he wants.
-He doing really good, in his league..

now.. he going to trade all that to come to the United States, play for two crappy ass teams and earn less money? If I was Rubio, I would stay in Spain.. unless the NBA met my conditions... of course this probably is not going to happen.. the NBA doesn't work like that.. so .. like I said he will probably never play in the NBA...

Rubio fan boys... I'm sorry I had to break the news to you. :roll:

bagelred
05-21-2009, 11:28 AM

Rubio probably will never play in the NBA. It's funny people are saying, "Oh..it's just his agent talking." or .. "Rubio wants to play, in the NBA, his agent is screwing it up."

Let's get one thing clear.. Rubio knows exactly what the hell is going on. He knows what his agent is putting forth. You think this kid is that stupid? Trust me. Rubio doesn't want to play for those two teams(Memphis or OKC). As I see it.. Rubio isn't going to show up.. period

You forgot the buyout he has to pay his national team.

He obviously is going to come to NBA, but now I think he'll push it back a year or two.

Showtime
05-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Rubio isn't a college kid. He's just 18, and already a star overseas. He already has a pro ball playing career, and he's not coming out of school looking for one. That's the difference. It's not RR desperately wanting to join the NBA, it's the league looking to acquire overseas stars, and RR looking to cash in. If he wants to influence his destination, and remain in his current job as leverage, he has that right. He's not kicking and screaming to get into this league to make a career, so the attitude of "beggers can't be choosers" doesn't apply.

Foster5k
05-21-2009, 11:35 AM
You forgot the buyout he has to pay his national team.

He obviously is going to come to NBA, but now I think he'll push it back a year or two.

Um... if he never enters the NBA, he doesn't have to pay the buy-out...

He has until June 15, to decide to take his name out of the draft..

He only has to pay the buy-out, if he chooses to join the NBA.

bagelred
05-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Um... if he never enters the NBA, he doesn't have to pay the buy-out...

He has until June 15, to decide to take his name out of the draft..

He only has to pay the buy-out, if he chooses to join the NBA.

Yes, but the buyout isn't forever, right? How long does that Spanish franchise have a hold on him? Probably only another year or two I would think......

Rekindled
05-21-2009, 11:40 AM
the only way Rubio can pay for his huge buyout is if he gets a large endorsement deal. No company is gonna give him that if he goes to **** holes like memphis or OKC.

oh the horror
05-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Rubio isn't a college kid. He's just 18, and already a star overseas. He already has a pro ball playing career, and he's not coming out of school looking for one. That's the difference. It's not RR desperately wanting to join the NBA, it's the league looking to acquire overseas stars, and RR looking to cash in. If he wants to influence his destination, and remain in his current job as leverage, he has that right. He's not kicking and screaming to get into this league to make a career, so the attitude of "beggers can't be choosers" doesn't apply.

Dude, youre comparing some kid thats a star overseas, to becomming a household name over here?

Its FAR MORE prestigious to become a household name in the NBA than it is in some euro league.

I can gaurantee you some people who watch ball right now havent the slightest idea who the hell Ricky Rubio is.

Foster5k
05-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Yes, but the buyout isn't forever, right? How long does that Spanish franchise have a hold on him? Probably only another year or two I would think......

Yeah... I think it's over in 2011-2012..

The thing with Rubio is.. he would, in my opinion, be stupid, to stay in the draft, if he doesn't get what he wants.

Hell.. his buy-out is what 6 million euros? He will have to pay most of that out of pocket.. and in the economy... I doubt he will get a big time marketing contract..with nike or addias..

I doubt he may never come to the NBA.. but if he does.. I think it will be most likely be in 2012... if not then.. then never

Showtime
05-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Dude, youre comparing some kid thats a star overseas, to becomming a household name over here?

Its FAR MORE prestigious to become a household name in the NBA than it is in some euro league.

I can gaurantee you some people who watch ball right now havent the slightest idea who the hell Ricky Rubio is.
WTF is your point? I don't see how this relates to my point. RR doesn't care about prestige, he wants a paycheck.

People are saying he's a brat and selfish for possibly influencing his position. My point was that he's not like a college player who is desperately looking to get into the NBA in order to make a career playing pro ball. RR already HAS a pro career, he's just looking for a career upgrade. He's not busting down the door to get in, and he's not screwed if he doesn't. The point is if Blake Griffin, for example, refuses to play for LA, then he's selfish because he needs to make the league to make a career, and has no other alternative. RR already has a career, already is a star where he's at, and NBA teams want him to switch leagues. He has legitimate leverage and reason to be selfish.

ZOMG
05-21-2009, 11:49 AM

Well, I can "gaurantee" that most of those people watched the final game of the Olympics and saw the kid holding his own against the best PG's the NBA has to offer.

oh the horror
05-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Well, I can "gaurantee" that most of those people watched the final game of the Olympics and saw the kid holding his own against the best PG's the NBA has to offer.

Yeah, and they probably were like "wow that kid is good"

Meanwhile months later, no one remembers his name.

You do NOT get known until youre in the big time, here in the US, no matter WHAT team you play for.

You come here, play well, get known, get endorsements, and then take your career from there.

HOWEVER, this kid wants to bypass all of that silly nonsense, come into the league, choosing where he wants to play, at 18....and isnt EVEN a gaurantee that he'll be productive? HE CHOULD POTENTIALLY BE A FLOP.

Get the hell outta here, he needs to work his way up like MOST have done. Hes a KID.

I say, he can stay in spain.

Younggrease
05-21-2009, 11:52 AM
WTF is your point? I don't see how this relates to my point. RR doesn't care about prestige, he wants a paycheck.

People are saying he's a brat and selfish for possibly influencing his position. My point was that he's not like a college player who is desperately looking to get into the NBA in order to make a career playing pro ball. RR already HAS a pro career, he's just looking for a career upgrade. He's not busting down the door to get in, and he's not screwed if he doesn't. The point is if Blake Griffin, for example, refuses to play for LA, then he's selfish because he needs to make the league to make a career, and has no other alternative. RR already has a career, already is a star where he's at, and NBA teams want him to switch leagues. He has legitimate leverage and reason to be selfish.

I think its right to use leverage whenever you have it...But to say Blake doesnt have an alternative is just false. He can just as easily go over to the Euroleague and make 5 times as much money as Rubio makes now.

dak121
05-21-2009, 11:53 AM
If Memphis plays their cards right, they can come out of this situation looking really good. Call the Kings and offer the #2 pick for the #4 and Thompson. Maybe even get the Kings #1 from the next draft if Sacramento gets desperate.

Foster5k
05-21-2009, 11:55 AM
I say, he can stay in spain.

I say.. he should stay in Spain, at least until his buy-out ends. I doubt Ricky Rubio fan boys will ever see him play until 2012... if not then.. then never.. like I said before..

Because.. if he stays in the draft, this year, he is going to lose a lot of money. Do you guys really think, in this economy, Nike or Addias or some other big business is going to give him some crazy big contract deal? I don't see that happening..

Also.. he will be on a team and in a state he doesn't even want to play for..

Rubio if you're reading this, which you're not.. STAY IN SPAIN.. be smart..

HylianNightmare
05-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Fran Vasquez? anyone?

depletedW
05-21-2009, 12:23 PM
It is pretty sad to see athletes do this. Especially newcomers in the league who want to try and dictate how things go. They need to realize how lucky they are to have a shot at getting paid to play basketball.

STelfair31
05-21-2009, 12:25 PM
hmm? doesn't matter whoever picks him is where he'll have to be..

who does he think he is?

Foster5k
05-21-2009, 12:26 PM
It is pretty sad to see athletes do this. Especially newcomers in the league who want to try and dictate how things go. They need to realize how lucky they are to have a shot at getting paid to play basketball.

Well, in Ricky Rubio's situation, he basically isn't a new comer. He is already an established professional baller, in Spain. The way Rubio sees it... the NBA is lucky to acquire him. Which.. may sound ridiculous but.. it's possibly how he and his agent are thinking.

He needs to stay in Spain, at least until 2012... if he doesn't get what he wants.. in 2012.. he will probably never come to the NBA. :lol

kumquat
05-21-2009, 12:27 PM
fegan is an a**hole agent. This has got to be his doing.

Showtime
05-21-2009, 12:27 PM
*sigh*

Interminator
05-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Rubio already has an endorsement deal with Nike including his own shoe in Spain.

Obviously the deal increases when he comes to the United States, Nike will cover it for it to happen.

Foster5k
05-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Rubio already has an endorsement deal with Nike including his own shoe in Spain.

Obviously the deal increases when he comes to the United States, Nike will cover it for it to happen.

Unless Rubio get's what he wants. He is not going to stay in the draft..

Also.. how would you feel as a teammate of Ricky Rubio.. knowing he doesn't even really want to be on the team? This is going to turn out bad .. very bad.. in my opinion, if he stays in the draft and is drafted by Memphis.

JayGuevara
05-21-2009, 12:37 PM

who does he think he is?

Steve Francis and Kobe's illegitimate child. :banana:

Interminator
05-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Unless Rubio get's what he wants. He is not going to stay in the draft..

Also.. how would you feel as a teammate of Ricky Rubio.. knowing he doesn't even really want to be on the team? This is going to turn out bad .. very bad.. in my opinion, if he stays in the draft and is drafted by Memphis.
Sounds similar to Maravich.:oldlol:

He'll stay in the Draft, they'll just force Memphis or OKC's hand to make a deal to one of a list of teams.

Or teams could let him slip to #4 to Sacramento.

USC Trojan
05-21-2009, 12:42 PM
I seriously doubt Rubio cares who drafts him. If you guys are going to put the blame on anyone, put it on the people advising him.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 12:43 PM
I seriously doubt Rubio cares who drafts him. If you guys are going to put the blame on anyone, put it on the people advising him.
Well hes the one who picks these people, not like they are assigned to him by the government.

Rekindled
05-21-2009, 12:43 PM

who does he think he is?

kobe?

Showtime
05-21-2009, 12:47 PM
C'mon now. The guy is a star where he's at. I'm sure he doesn't want to go to a team where he probably won't even start. Memphis has Conley, and OKC has Westbrook. A 17/18 year old going from where he's at to a bench player on a lottery team isn't going to sit well with him. I'm quite sure he DOES care which teams and what opportunities he has, otherwise there's no incentive to enter the league. That's the point people seem to be missing. A D-league player isn't going to care what team he gets on, as long as he gets a shot. RR doesn't care, because he already is in a nice spot right now, so he will only make the transition if it puts him in a better situation.

Rekindled
05-21-2009, 12:53 PM

actually, if memphis draft him. Rubio would LOSE money playing for memphis until he gets out of his rookie contract. So I think he cares.

Magic_Johnson
05-21-2009, 01:05 PM
He's crazy if he turns down OKC. That's a very up and coming team and he'll get major exposure.

But the Thundah already have Westbrook so he's kind of redundant there.

Lakers should trade Pau back to the Grizzlies for the #2 pick and Marc Gasol :D

Foster5k
05-21-2009, 01:05 PM
I seriously doubt Rubio cares who drafts him.

Isn't that the point of this entire thread? :lol

Obviously, Rubio cares where he is drafted. You act like he doesn't know what his agent is doing, etc. Rubio isn't dumb, blind, or deaf. The guy knows what's going on... he doesn't want to play for Memphis or OKC..

lilgodfather1
05-21-2009, 01:08 PM
The difference between Kobe and Rubio is that Rubio is currently a pro ball player where as Kobe was not. Ricky can stay in Euroleague and say F the NBA, where as Kobe would not have done so. Rubio holds all of the power here.

Showtime
05-21-2009, 01:09 PM
The difference between Kobe and Rubio is that Rubio is currently a pro ball player where as Kobe was not. Ricky can stay in Euroleague and say F the NBA, where as Kobe would not have done so. Rubio holds all of the power here.
I think you should be looking here: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132570

Darius
05-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Thompson + 4 for Rubio is interesting... I'd think the Grizz would have to throw another bone to the Kings though.

It's a shame, I really like Rubio and would have liked to see him on the Clips (even though I think he has high bust potential) but you just can't pass up Griffin.

BRINKER
05-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Well, I dont walk into a job and begin making demands. That isnt the way it works, ESPECIALLY if im a newcomer.

then either you're not in very high demand or you dont know the first thing about negotiating.

Rekindled
05-21-2009, 01:31 PM
The way i see it is....

This is the way the league is run. If you do not like it, then do not join it.

Stay in Spain.

The kid is 18 years old, wants to come over to this country, and play in the NBA but only on his conditions? Well, I dont walk into a job and begin making demands. That isnt the way it works, ESPECIALLY if im a newcomer.

And if its his agent making the demands, then why isnt Ricky stepping up to clear the air?

Thats an obnoxious situation all the way around.

well. usually when you walk into a job, you dont lose money doing it. plus rubio already has a job that pays more.

bdreason
05-21-2009, 01:35 PM
This is the perfect draft to trade away a top pick.

Memphis or OKC should just trade down to someone who wants Rubio.

oh the horror
05-21-2009, 01:38 PM
well. usually when you walk into a job, you dont lose money doing it. plus rubio already has a job that pays more.

It wont pay more than if he produces for an actual NBA franchise.

If he becomes a superstar over here, he'll be seeing bigger money than he would in spain.

Showtime
05-21-2009, 01:48 PM
It wont pay more than if he produces for an actual NBA franchise.

And how can he do that on a team where he isn't starting? He's not better off going to Memphis or OKC in the short term.

If he becomes a superstar over here, he'll be seeing bigger money than he would in spain.
"IF" he becomes a superstar. He's not going to come over if it puts him in a worse position in the short term for an "if" scenario a few years down the road. He's better off using his leverage so he gets into a:

better short term situation + chance at long term success

vs a

worse short term situation + chance at long term success.

Just going to the NBA is a chance at being bigger as you pointed out. However, he's not limited to just any team because he has leverage with his current status. He's better off using his leverage in order to get to the best possible situation in the NBA than just any situation in the NBA.

oh the horror
05-21-2009, 01:53 PM
And how can he do that on a team where he isn't starting? He's not better off going to Memphis or OKC in the short term.

There is no team in the NBA that is going to start him right now coming in, being 18 years old. If he doesnt want to earn his way up, he should stay in Spain until he is well into his 20s.

LA_Showtime
05-21-2009, 01:55 PM
then either you're not in very high demand or you dont know the first thing about negotiating.

Can you name one job where you can go into the interview demanding what you want/need? If so, sign me up.

Showtime
05-21-2009, 01:58 PM
There is no team in the NBA that is going to start him right now coming in, being 18 years old. If he doesnt want to earn his way up, he should stay in Spain until he is well into his 20s.
Sorry, but you are wrong. To you, there is only "starting" vs "bench". You fail to see the possibility of amount of minutes played off the bench, the potential of a dual guard PG role that splits minutes, and the chances of taking over as the main PG during the season if he proves himself. All these chances are better suited for him in Sacramento than in Memphis or OKC.

Beno has been inconsistent and disappointing last year, to the point of having Garcia run point-forward at the end of games, and playing the aging Jackson more minutes than he should. Rubio, while probably not starting, is going to be playing more minutes with the possibility of taking Beno's job during the year. He wouldn't be in such a favorable position in those other two teams, because they have promising and developing young PG talents, while Sac doesn't.

So while he may not start immediately, he has a far better situation to take over with the Kings, especially in his rookie year, than any of the other top 4 teams.

Showtime
05-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Can you name one job where you can go into the interview demanding what you want/need? If so, sign me up.
You obviously lack understanding about this situation, and professional sports in general.

LA_Showtime
05-21-2009, 02:03 PM
You obviously lack understanding about this situation, and professional sports in general.

I was referring to an everyday 9-5 job.

Showtime
05-21-2009, 02:09 PM
I was referring to an everyday 9-5 job.
Which is why you lack understanding. You are comparing a regular joe in a 9-5 situation to a desired professional athlete. They aren't the same, nor are their occupational situations the same.

Which is why he said:

"then either you're not in very high demand or you dont know the first thing about negotiating."

Your situation isn't the same as his situation. You can't walk into McDonalds looking for work and demand a manager position.

LA_Showtime
05-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Which is why you lack understanding. You are comparing a regular joe in a 9-5 situation to a desired professional athlete. They aren't the same, nor are their occupational situations the same.

Which is why he said:

"then either you're not in very high demand or you dont know the first thing about negotiating."

Of course they aren't the same.

I was just commenting because I was bored, get over it.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 02:11 PM
To name a few:
Grizzlies
Thunder
Kings
T'Wolves
Warriors
Knicks
76ers
Hawks
Blazers
Rockets
Lakers

And those are the teams I am 100% sure he would start for from Day 1 if they could draft him, there are other teams who I am not 100% sure he would start for though.

bagelred
05-21-2009, 02:20 PM
To name a few:
Grizzlies
Thunder
Kings
T'Wolves
Warriors
Knicks
76ers
Hawks
Blazers
Rockets
Lakers

And those are the teams I am 100% sure he would start for from Day 1 if they could draft him, there are other teams who I am not 100% sure he would start for though.

Not so sure about teams in bold.

Showtime
05-21-2009, 02:21 PM
To name a few:
Grizzlies
Thunder
Kings
T'Wolves
Warriors
Knicks
76ers
Hawks
Blazers
Rockets
Lakers

I think the bold ones aren't accurate.

Reports I've heard out of Memphis is that they are high on Conley and were pleased with his progress. I don't think they would give RR his job from day 1 with no questions asked.

Same with Westbrook in OKC, unless they think he can play the SG position and move him over to play alongside RR.

As for the 76ers and Hawks, that depends on if they plan to sign any PG's on the market. If their plan is to use RR right away to replace Miller and Bibby, then he would probably start.

As far as Houston goes, Brooks has really shown something in the Laker series, and I don't think Adelman would brush that aside.

The Lakers and Jackson don't play young PG's if they have a veteran. Ron Harper and Brian Shaw played over a young Fisher his first couple years. We see now Fisher is playing over Brown and Farmar. I highly doubt RR would impress Jackson enough to take over that team right away.

oh the horror
05-21-2009, 02:22 PM
To name a few:
Grizzlies
Thunder
Kings
T'Wolves
Warriors
Knicks
76ers
Hawks
Blazers
Rockets
Lakers

Youre telling me, an 18 year old fresh out of the euro league, is going to start on some of those, from day one, over the players they have there? Sorry, but i dont think so.

Rubio is good, but hes far too young to be THAT good on most of those teams.

chains5000
05-21-2009, 02:25 PM
To name a few:
Grizzlies
Thunder
Kings
T'Wolves
Warriors
Knicks
76ers
Hawks
Blazers
Rockets
Lakers

You're an idiot if you really believe that.
I'm huge Ricky fan, but as a rookie he'd probably only start for the Wolves, Kings and Grizzlies (considering they traded Conley).

adamcz
05-21-2009, 02:31 PM

Not obvious to me - I have no access to the Nike contract, and can imagine it containing a million different provsions (or not).

I think Memphis holds all the cards here. Draft him, and let him decide whether or not to come over this year. As long as he plays professional basketball anywhere in the world, Memphis holds his rights forever. If he ever wants to come over to the NBA, he has to spend his first five years in Memphis.

Is there really a risk that he'll just decide to never enter the NBA... ever?

Memphis is not in championship contention mode right now, and in the scheme of things it doesn't really matter whether Rubio develops under their watchful eye next year, or over in Spain. In fact, the more of his formative years he spends in Spain, the more of his prime years he will be contractually obligated to play in Memphis.

That's assuming they view him as a franchise player. If they don't think he's all that special, then just trade him to Sacramento or wherever for the best return you can get.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 02:32 PM
I think the bold ones aren't accurate.

Reports I've heard out of Memphis is that they are high on Conley and were pleased with his progress. I don't think they would give RR his job from day 1 with no questions asked.
If we draft Rubio #2 are you telling me we're going to bring him off the bench?
We're not using 2 PG's anymore, we learned under Lowry/Conley and it took Lowry being traded for Conley to begin to emerge and become more confident.

If Rubio goes to Memphis, we trade Conley. No questions.

Same with Westbrook in OKC, unless they think he can play the SG position and move him over to play alongside RR.
Westbrook slides over to the 2, hes an undersized slasher and could excel off the ball with Rubio throwing lobs.

As for the 76ers and Hawks, that depends on if they plan to sign any PG's on the market. If their plan is to use RR right away to replace Miller and Bibby, then he would probably start.
Thats why they are on the list, if they could draft Rubio they wouldn't have to resign either.

As far as Houston goes, Brooks has really shown something in the Laker series, and I don't think Adelman would brush that aside.
Brooks is a solid scorer but he can be more effective coming off the bench changing the pace with his speed and ability to get to the basket.
Rubio fits perfectly as a defensive minded pass first PG who could flow their offense.

The Lakers and Jackson don't play young PG's if they have a veteran. Ron Harper and Brian Shaw played over a young Fisher his first couple years. We see now Fisher is playing over Brown and Farmar. I highly doubt RR would impress Jackson enough to take over that team right away.
Brown is an undersized SG, not a PG.
Farmar is a scoring guard, nothing about him suggests he can lead a team at PG.
Fisher is an interesting case because he did play some 2 with Utah,and could come off the bench in a 6th Man role which would be better considering his age.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 02:32 PM
You're an idiot if you really believe that.
I'm huge Ricky fan, but as a rookie he'd probably only start for the Wolves, Kings and Grizzlies (considering they traded Conley).
You're an idiot for believing that.

chains5000
05-21-2009, 02:36 PM
You're an idiot for believing that.
It's people like you that create Rubio haters.
Wait till he plays his first NBA game before considering him starting material for teams like LA, you idiot.

qrich
05-21-2009, 02:41 PM

A NBA/High Level College Coach going to a Middle School? :oldlol:

Yeah... I think it's over in 2011-2012..

The thing with Rubio is.. he would, in my opinion, be stupid, to stay in the draft, if he doesn't get what he wants.

Hell.. his buy-out is what 6 million euros? He will have to pay most of that out of pocket.. and in the economy... I doubt he will get a big time marketing contract..with nike or addias..

I doubt he may never come to the NBA.. but if he does.. I think it will be most likely be in 2012... if not then.. then never

I thought it was 8 mil? Regardless, the NBA team can only give $500,000 of the buyout, and I doubt Rubio puts up the rest to come over. Next year, his buy out goes up to $11 mil, making it more unlikely that he'll come over next season, so I think its possible not to see him in the NBA until the 2011-12 season.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Not obvious to me - I have no access to the Nike contract, and can imagine it containing a million different provsions (or not).

I think Memphis holds all the cards here. Draft him, and let him decide whether or not to come over this year. As long as he plays professional basketball anywhere in the world, Memphis holds his rights forever. If he ever wants to come over to the NBA, he has to spend his first five years in Memphis.
Memphis doesn't hold his draft rights forever, because once his Euro contract is up he is able to avoid the rookie contracts because technically hes a free agent.If it gets to that point he can come over in 2012 where he can negotiate his own deal like as a FA.

That is why guys like Scola & JCN had their rights traded 1 year before their Euro contract expired.

But we run the risk of his value dropping by holding onto him for too long and we would end up wasting a #2 pick in the process.

It makes sense by sticking a point to Rubio & his advisors, but it makes zero sense if we want to improve our team and wasting a #2 pick and in the process keep a player out of the NBA.

qrich
05-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Memphis doesn't hold his draft rights forever, because once his Euro contract is up he is able to avoid the rookie contracts because technically hes a free agent.If it gets to that point he can come over in 2012 where he can negotiate his own deal like as a FA.

That is why guys like Scola & JCN had their rights traded 1 year before their Euro contract expired.

Another ignorant post.

Memphis holds his rights until they trade it, which is possible, or simply decide to renounce it, which is highly unlikely.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 02:46 PM
It's people like you that create Rubio haters.
Wait till he plays his first NBA game before considering him starting material for teams like LA, you idiot.
Actually I didn't believe the hype at first with YungGrease hypinh him, and this goes as far back as 2007.

He made me pay attention to the Euroleague games he played in and to watch Spain in the 2008 olympics.

Rubio at his age is advanced and he could start for the Lakers from day 1 at PG, unless something happens such as an injury which limits his effectiveness in training camp and allows Fisher to keep the starting job with Rubio as the back-up.

But the Lakers aren't getting Rubio, so I'm done discussing it.

nbastatus
05-21-2009, 02:50 PM
words mean nothing?

Interminator
05-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Another ignorant post.

Memphis holds his rights until they trade it, which is possible, or simply decide to renounce it, which is highly unlikely.
Actually No.

When Rubio's contract expires in Spain in 2012, and he decides he wants to come to the United States and play in the NBA, if the Grizzlies do not renounce his rights he can sue them, but I highly doubt the NBA would allow it to get to that point without intervening.

But this is assuming he never wants to play a game for Memphis.

Once again, Go eat ****.

adamcz
05-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Memphis doesn't hold his draft rights forever, because once his Euro contract is up he is able to avoid the rookie contracts because technically hes a free agent.If it gets to that point he can come over in 2012 where he can negotiate his own deal like as a FA.This is inaccurate. Memphis holds his rights forever, unless he lets a year elapse where he plays no professional basketball anywhere in the world.

qrich
05-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Actually No.

When Rubio's contract expires in Spain in 2012, and he decides he wants to come to the United States and play in the NBA, if the Grizzlies do not renounce his rights he can sue them, but I highly doubt the NBA would allow it to get to that point without intervening.

But this is assuming he never wants to play a game for Memphis.

Once again, Go eat ****.

Sue them for what again?

And if that was the case, then players would sign a 1 or 2 year contract in Europe/Asia/Australia/Southern America or even the ABA/CBA, play it out, and then get to choose where they want to play. Dumbass.

adamcz
05-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Actually No.

When Rubio's contract expires in Spain in 2012, and he decides he wants to come to the United States and play in the NBA, if the Grizzlies do not renounce his rights he can sue them
You can attempt to sue anyone for anything. If I wanted to waste my time and money I could try to sue you for this post.

Are you saying that there is actual legal precedent for such a suit? If so, share it.

Hammertime
05-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Dejan Bodiroga, perhaps the greatest European player of the last 25 years NOT to play in the NBA was drafted by the Kings in 1995. They attempted to get him over to the USA several times, most notably during the C-Webb years when he might just have been the piece to push them over the top. He never did come, for a variety of reasons. The point is that he's now 36 and retired, and yet the Kings still hold his rights, because they hadn't bothered to renounce them. He still couldn't sign a 10-day contract with the Clippers without the Kings renouncing his rights.

Hammertime
05-21-2009, 03:06 PM
This is inaccurate. Memphis holds his rights forever, unless he lets a year elapse where he plays no professional basketball anywhere in the world.

Are you sure about this? I thought the rights are held in perpetuity unless renounced.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 03:07 PM
This is inaccurate. Memphis holds his rights forever, unless he lets a year elapse where he plays no professional basketball anywhere in the world.
And Memphis is going to allow him to do this?

We arent that stupid and we arent desperate for Rubio, there is no way we go into this situation and try to force it and end up wasting a pick and getting screwed down the line when he may be an even better player.

We'll trade his rights long before then, because there will be a team interested in acquiring them.

bdreason
05-21-2009, 03:10 PM
There has to be some duration. I think it's against the law to have a contract that runs indefinately. Well, I shouldn't say "against the law"... but the contract would be "unenforceable" in a court of law after some period of time.

My guess would be 3 years.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Sue them for what again?

And if that was the case, then players would sign a 1 or 2 year contract in Europe/Asia/Australia/Southern America or even the ABA/CBA, play it out, and then get to choose where they want to play. Dumbass.
http://clutchfans.net/images/luis_scola21.jpg

3/$10 Million with Houston.

Why didnt he make a minimum contract with a 1 year team option considering he was drafted at #55 in 2002 by San Antonio.

Euros can escape past the rookie contracts by doing so.

fatboy11
05-21-2009, 03:12 PM
There has to be some duration. I think it's against the law to have a contract that runs indefinately. Well, I shouldn't say "against the law"... but the contract would be "unenforceable" in a court of law after some period of time.

My guess would be 3 years.It's not a contract, though. It's his rights. Nothing against the law about it. They own his rights when they draft him and everyone that applies for the NBA draft accepts that rule when they enter the draft.

adamcz
05-21-2009, 03:15 PM

What is your legal background? I sign contracts that run in perpetuity all the time. How could the business world operate at all if it was impossible to sign long term contracts?

qrich

Why didnt he make a minimum contract with a 1 year team option considering he was drafted at #55 in 2002 by San Antonio.

Same happened with Marko Jaric signing in the 2002 summer after being drafted in 2000. His overseas contract had not expired.

What you said before, and what you say now doesn't do anything. GTFO if you don't know **** about holding rights to overseas players and stop talking out of your ass.

Rekindled
If we draft Rubio #2 are you telling me we're going to bring him off the bench?
We're not using 2 PG's anymore, we learned under Lowry/Conley and it took Lowry being traded for Conley to begin to emerge and become more confident.

If Rubio goes to Memphis, we trade Conley. No questions.

Westbrook slides over to the 2, hes an undersized slasher and could excel off the ball with Rubio throwing lobs.

Thats why they are on the list, if they could draft Rubio they wouldn't have to resign either.

Brooks is a solid scorer but he can be more effective coming off the bench changing the pace with his speed and ability to get to the basket.
Rubio fits perfectly as a defensive minded pass first PG who could flow their offense.

Brown is an undersized SG, not a PG.
Farmar is a scoring guard, nothing about him suggests he can lead a team at PG.
Fisher is an interesting case because he did play some 2 with Utah,and could come off the bench in a 6th Man role which would be better considering his age.

rubio is not going to okc either

Interminator
05-21-2009, 03:16 PM

Yet people dont understand this.

After his contract is up in 2012, he literally becomes a Free Agent.

If he wants to come to the NBA, and Memphis says "Only if you play for us" he has legal grounds to file a lawsuit due to Memphis blocking him from playing without him being paid.

Jamaal Tinsley is being blocked by the Pacers from playing or being around the team but hes still being paid his $6 Million Dollar salary because his salary is guranteed.

But neither party is going to allow it to get to that point.

adamcz
05-21-2009, 03:17 PM

The rules that govern contracts in the NBA are clearly outlined at cbafaq.com. Nobody should have to read your ignorant ramblings on this subject, so in the future, please check there before posting such nonsense.

Thanks.

qrich
05-21-2009, 03:17 PM

A contract and rights to a player are two entirely different things.

Dejan Bodiroga, perhaps the greatest European player of the last 25 years NOT to play in the NBA was drafted by the Kings in 1995. They attempted to get him over to the USA several times, most notably during the C-Webb years when he might just have been the piece to push them over the top. He never did come, for a variety of reasons. The point is that he's now 36 and retired, and yet the Kings still hold his rights, because they hadn't bothered to renounce them. He still couldn't sign a 10-day contract with the Clippers without the Kings renouncing his rights.

Perfect example. Also, hasn't David Andersen been a free agent a couple of times, Hawks still own his rights. Same with Cenk Akyol.

The rules that govern contracts in the NBA are clearly outlined at cbafaq.com. Nobody should have to read your ignorant ramblings on this subject, so in the future, please check there before posting such nonsense.

Thanks.

:bowdown:

Interminator
05-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Same happened with Marko Jaric signing in the 2002 summer after being drafted in 2000. His overseas contract had not expired.

What you said before, and what you say now doesn't do anything. GTFO if you don't know **** about holding rights to overseas players and stop talking out of your ass.
I'm not repeating myself, you know absolutely nothing and love to play Mr.Worstcasescenario and bring up things that wont happen due to the sheer fact of common sense & a soul.

Its not going to get to that point, that is beyond a worst case scenario for Memphis,Rubio,The NBA,and Nike.

qrich
05-21-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm not repeating myself, you know absolutely nothing and love to play Mr.Worstcasescenario and bring up things that wont happen due to the sheer fact of common sense & a soul.

Its not going to get to that point, that is beyond a worst case scenario for Memphis,Rubio,The NBA,and Nike.

I know nothing, yet, you claim Rubio will be a free agent in the NBA in 2012 and can sue Memphis if they don't let him go to another team without renouncing or trading his rights, if it were to go to that far?

:oldlol: :roll: :oldlol:

UD
05-21-2009, 03:22 PM

Wait, why does his pay go to them?

Interminator
05-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Perfect example. Also, hasn't David Andersen been a free agent a couple of times, Hawks still own his rights. Same with Cenk Akyol.

Has either expressed interest in playing in the NBA?

qrich
05-21-2009, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=UD

Interminator
05-21-2009, 03:24 PM
I know nothing, yet, you claim Rubio will be a free agent in the NBA in 2012 and can sue Memphis if they don't let him go to another team without renouncing or trading his rights, if it were to go to that far?

:oldlol: :roll: :oldlol:
The only thing I read.:confusedshrug:

Interminator
05-21-2009, 03:25 PM
That has nothing to do with the fact that the only team they could sign with is the team that holds their rights considering they weren't renounced, or, they did not go undrafted.
Yet if either did not want to play for the Hawks, as much as Rubio's handlers dont want him to play for Memphis & OKC.

Yeah he could have done so if it ever got to that point.

bdreason
05-21-2009, 03:26 PM
A contract and rights to a player are two entirely different things.

:bowdown:

I still have feeling that if the player really wanted to they could take this to court and get it overturned. Of course, it probably wouldn't get that far, because if the player wins, it could set a bad precedence for future cases.

I could be wrong, just speculating.

An example is the the buying and selling of virtual items in games like World of Warcraft. Technically, you can't sell game items, or game accounts, because you don't own them. It's in the user agreement and everything. However, Blizzard would NEVER sue anyone for selling virtual game items or accounts (even though they could), because if they lost, it would set a terrible precedence. Instead, they just ban the account and move on.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 03:27 PM

Thanks.
There is nothing on that site that describes the basis of this disaster scenario we are talking about.

qrich
05-21-2009, 03:30 PM
The only thing I read.:confusedshrug:

Typically happens when someone gets bitchslapped in an argument and tries to avoid getting further owned.

Yet if either did not want to play for the Hawks, as much as Rubio's handlers dont want him to play for Memphis & OKC.

Yeah he could have done so if it ever got to that point.

:roll: :oldlol: :roll:

Dude's pure comedy. Haven't talked to someone this ignorant in a while.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Typically happens when someone gets bitchslapped in an argument and tries to avoid getting further owned.
*****slapped how?

By arguing about something that would be a disaster scenario.:oldlol:

Sure, I'll hand you over the W if you want it.

:roll: :oldlol: :roll:

Dude's pure comedy. Haven't talked to someone this ignorant in a while.
You have the nerve to discuss anyone being ignorant but pride yourself as a Clippers fan.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee197/jackhopher/failcheers3oi8.jpg

2LeTTeRS
05-21-2009, 03:39 PM

Your wrong. Scola was a 2nd round pick, not a 1st rounder like Rubio is going to be. 2nd round picks don't have guaranteed contracts governed by the CBA like 1st round picks do, so when Scola was out of his deal with the Euro team he played for he was able to negotiate with the Rockets who had traded for his rights (the Spurs had already used their MLE and did not have the cap space to afford Scola which is why they traded him).

Seeing that Rubio will be drafted in the 1st round whenever he comes to the league he will be playing under a rookie deal for 2 years with a team option for 2 additional years and the salary will depend on what spot he's drafted at. Unlike Scola he won't be able to negotiate his contract, and the NBA team that drafts him will maintain his rights indefinitely until they trade him, sign him or renounce him.

2LeTTeRS
05-21-2009, 03:43 PM

No its not. From what I remember from contract law, a contract that is indefinite in duration could run forever if their are terms that can allow for the termination of that contract. But I don't think that would matter here anyway because there wouldn't be a contract, the NBA team would just hold exclusive rights to negotiate with the player.

qrich
05-21-2009, 03:46 PM
You have the nerve to discuss anyone being ignorant but pride yourself as a Clippers fan.

Russell Wesbtrook is a bust! (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93314)

Blake Won't go #1! (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128263)

Ty Hansbrough being a top 5 pick! (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71276)

Brumbaugh Being a 8X All-Star (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93317)

http://www.pwn3d.us/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/failtacular-150x150.jpg

Interminator
05-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Russell Wesbtrook is a bust! (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93314)

Ty Hansbrough being a top 5 pick! (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71276)

Brumbaugh Being a 8X All-Star (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93317)
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p207/KNIVORY/KNIVEZ%20motkonz/smh.gif @ you digging.

Thats when I know its time to lay off piledriving you on your head with ownage, keep them coming, you only make yourself look more pathetic.

qrich
05-21-2009, 03:51 PM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p207/KNIVORY/KNIVEZ%20motkonz/smh.gif @ you digging.

Thats when I know its time to lay off piledriving you on your head with ownage, keep them coming, you only make yourself look more pathetic.

:sleeping All are on the first couple of pages on the draft forum.

Just accept the fact that you are an huge dumbass.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 04:01 PM
:sleeping All are on the first couple of pages on the draft forum.

Just accept the fact that you are an huge dumbass.
All you looked up to post like it doesn't make you look pathetic & hurt.

If I even knew of any of your relevant posts, other than irrelevant garbage repeated 9000 times, I still wouldnt give you the credit of digging to find it.

Blue&Orange
05-21-2009, 04:41 PM

http://www.pwn3d.us/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/failtacular-150x150.jpg
lol :bowdown: almost goat post, just lacking the lottery rigged for NY nonsense.

Jinxed
05-21-2009, 04:43 PM
What's going to be a huge factor in determining whether or not Ricky comes over is if his team DKV Joventud is selected for the Euroleague next year.

I'm not really sure how it works, and on what basis are teams selected but I do know that only 4 teams from the ACB make it to the Euroleague each year and right now DKV is playing Real Madrid on Saturday to see which team makes the semifinals in the ACB playoffs.

Maybe someone can come on here and explain the process of Euroleague team selection.

gts
05-21-2009, 06:20 PM
alot of people acting like playing in the NBA is a privledge.. it's not it's a job just like any other...
some kids come out of law school with firms beating down their door some have to spend a few years working at the free law clinic before they get the big checks...

good players ultimately do more for the team then the team does for them... if you have the cache, other options or the talent is there and you can flex those "i'm not gonna play there" muscles, then go for it...

dab0yech0
05-21-2009, 06:42 PM
lol :bowdown: almost goat post, just lacking the lottery rigged for NY nonsense.

:applause: :roll:

DoubleTech
05-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Rubio is the man and has the league by the balls on this one.

OKC, Memphis or Spain?!

I'm taking spain over those other two ****ing rat nests... especially if moving to one of those rat nests costs me a couple mill out of my pocket.

JustinJDW
05-21-2009, 06:49 PM
I really hate it when players do this. They ***** and moan saying they don't play at a certain place, and if they don't get what they want, they just won't play. What ****ty attitude. It's like these kids are still stuck in High School.

News flash Rubio, this isn't High School. This is the NBA. I know you just graduated High School and you aren't even considered an adult yet, but welcome to the real world buddy. Don't start out what could be a great career with a ****ty attitude. Who the **** do you think you are? You're just a kid. So shut the **** up, sit the **** down and play some ****ing basketball.

Welcome to the grown up world kid. Rubio is going to get slapped in the face by reality when he starts playing in the NBA.

Sinox
05-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Unless you meant what those two have in common with a banana. Well, Yi's the same color as a banana :D jp jp[/QUOTE]

I am chinese but that doesn't me bother me that much.
What bothers me is that asian people are genetically inferior compared to others in basketball.
Maybe in bed as well.

dab0yech0
05-21-2009, 07:31 PM

I am chinese but that doesn't me bother me that much.
What bothers me is that asian people are genetically inferior compared to others in basketball.
Maybe in bed as well.

Someone here has a case of low self esteem

niko
05-21-2009, 07:34 PM
I really hate it when players do this. They ***** and moan saying they don't play at a certain place, and if they don't get what they want, they just won't play. What ****ty attitude. It's like these kids are still stuck in High School.

News flash Rubio, this isn't High School. This is the NBA. I know you just graduated High School and you aren't even considered an adult yet, but welcome to the real world buddy. Don't start out what could be a great career with a ****ty attitude. Who the **** do you think you are? You're just a kid. So shut the **** up, sit the **** down and play some ****ing basketball.

Welcome to the grown up world kid. Rubio is going to get slapped in the face by reality when he starts playing in the NBA.

In the "real world" people exercise their clout to go where they want all the time. Combine this with the fact that he needs to pay to come to the league, and in Memphis or OKC the advertisting offers just won't be there, why not use what leverage you have?

I understand people not liking this. I don't understand people talking like this is some horrific act, when they probably would do it themselves in their every day life and not even blink.

Showtime
05-21-2009, 07:34 PM

You are a moron.

This isn't some random 18 year old, he's a coveted professional ball player who is playing for another league.

If you are a green kid looking to enter your chosen profession, you will take the first job that's offered. It's not the same as a company seeking their competitor's established asset who already is employed, experienced, and is in the situation to choose which situation is best for him.

He is using the leverage he has because he doesn't need the NBA. That's the truth. He could spend his entire career overseas and be just fine.

tsforthrees
05-21-2009, 07:35 PM
i don't think okc or memphis would draft him and keep him anyways. i like westbrook with that team more than rubio cuz of his defense and memphis already has three guys who can handle the ball on the perimeter with conley, mayo, and gay. they need a big.

1. la-griffin
2. memphis-thabeet
3. okc-harden or hill
4. sac-rubio

JustinJDW
05-21-2009, 07:39 PM
You are a moron.

This isn't some random 18 year old, he's a coveted professional ball player who is playing for another league.

If you are a green kid looking to enter your chosen profession, you will take the first job that's offered. It's not the same as a company seeking their competitor's established asset who already is employed, experienced, and is in the situation to choose which situation is best for him.

He is using the leverage he has because he doesn't need the NBA. That's the truth. He could spend his entire career overseas and be just fine.Haha, like the NBA will go bankrupt if the God Ricky Rubio doesn't play for us. :lol

Jinxed
05-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Btw, if you actually read the report. None of this stuff is coming from his agent or Ricky. It's by the author's unnamed NBA sources who are speculating on this stuff.

Lakas Fan Yo
05-21-2009, 08:03 PM
What's going to be a huge factor in determining whether or not Ricky comes over is if his team DKV Joventud is selected for the Euroleague next year.

I'm not really sure how it works, and on what basis are teams selected but I do know that only 4 teams from the ACB make it to the Euroleague each year and right now DKV is playing Real Madrid on Saturday to see which team makes the semifinals in the ACB playoffs.

Maybe someone can come on here and explain the process of Euroleague team selection.

Joventut can only make the Euroleague if they make the ACB finals. Also, there is absolutely no way in hell they can. If they finish 3rd in the ACB they would have a chance to make the Euroleague qualifying round next year. They would have to finish second in the qualifying round to then make the Euroleague. They have no shot at finishing 3rd in the ACB and even if they did, there is probably not a chance in hell they would finish 2nd in the Euroleague qualifying round. Because they would have to beat out some of the big Italian and Greek clubs and they are not that good as clubs like Aris and Milano for example.

Mgamer20o0
05-21-2009, 08:03 PM
Btw, if you actually read the report. None of this stuff is coming from his agent or Ricky. It's by the author's unnamed NBA sources who are speculating on this stuff.
as most stories. i think it would be a nice trick for a couple teams. draft them let them stay there get another high draft pick bring them all over at once lol you think any team can con a usa player to go over there for a year or two?

Thunderstruck
05-21-2009, 08:07 PM
the only way Rubio can pay for his huge buyout is if he gets a large endorsement deal. No company is gonna give him that if he goes to **** holes like memphis or OKC.

If you want to talk about a **** hole of a city, look no further than your own back yard hypocrite.

Showtime
05-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Haha, like the NBA will go bankrupt if the God Ricky Rubio doesn't play for us. :lol
Thanks for proving me right. You are a moron.

GiveItToBurrito
05-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Might have been mentioned, but I just read on ESPN that there's a rumor about the Thunder trading the third pick to the Wizards for Javale McGee and the fifth if the Grizzlies pick Thabeet. Should work out well for all parties involved if the deal goes through.

Thunderstruck
05-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Might have been mentioned, but I just read on ESPN that there's a rumor about the Thunder trading the third pick to the Wizards for Javale McGee and the fifth if the Grizzlies pick Thabeet. Should work out well for all parties involved if the deal goes through.

Agree, unless a miracle happens and the Clippers are willing to trade the #1 pick I would be very happy getting a young, athletic player full of potential in Javale McGee and a Tyreke Evans or James Harden at #5.

GiveItToBurrito
05-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Agree, unless a miracle happens and the Clippers are willing to trade the #1 pick I would be very happy getting a young, athletic player full of potential in Javale McGee and a Tyreke Evans or James Harden at #5.

You'll probably have the best fast breaking team in the league with that line up, especially if you get Evans. Damn. That team's going to be so deadly I almost don't want the deal to happen so I don't have to worry about playing the Thunder for another year or two. I can't even imagine how many blocks the starting five would combine for.

niko
05-21-2009, 08:55 PM
None of you people have ever exercised leverage at your job with a "give me X or else i'm leaving, etc"? I sure have. Why is it so evil?

Jinxed
05-21-2009, 09:02 PM

Except for Rubio. Him and Gilbert Arenas cannot play together. Gilbert will demand the ball too often and won't let Ricky be the distributer he's capable of being.

Jinxed
05-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Joventut can only make the Euroleague if they make the ACB finals. Also, there is absolutely no way in hell they can. If they finish 3rd in the ACB they would have a chance to make the Euroleague qualifying round next year. They would have to finish second in the qualifying round to then make the Euroleague. They have no shot at finishing 3rd in the ACB and even if they did, there is probably not a chance in hell they would finish 2nd in the Euroleague qualifying round. Because they would have to beat out some of the big Italian and Greek clubs and they are not that good as clubs like Aris and Milano for example.

I'm still a little confused. Why does DKV have to make the finals of the ACB if four teams from their go to the Euroleague?

kshutts1
05-21-2009, 09:06 PM
I read through 5 1/2 pages and find it interesting that no one mentioned competitive spirit...

The best players in the world are in the NBA, so wouldn't a highly competitive basketball player WANT to be in the NBA, even if it meant a slight decrease in pay?

I mean... we all talk about how Lebron and Kobe get up to play each other, etc.. you know, how your rival, or just a great team, brings out the best in you, so don't most of the best athletes out there strive for the best competition, and actually welcome it? Seek it out?

IMO, the competition is the biggest reason he will come over to the NBA WHEN he decides to come

Kings_Alex
05-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Except for Rubio. Him and Gilbert Arenas cannot play together. Gilbert will demand the ball too often and won't let Ricky be the distributer he's capable of being.
if the trade goes down, arenas would probably be traded.

GiveItToBurrito
05-21-2009, 09:27 PM

Gil's played off the ball before, especially when Larry Hughes was with the team. The Wizards usually played him next to Antonio Daniels or Deshawn Stevenson, too, both of whom could handle point guard duties in spurts while Gil ran around screens and set up on the wing. The only time Gil's had to be the main ball handler on the Wizards was when Jarred Jeffries sort of played shooting guard on offense with Caron Butler switching over to two guard duties on defense. Plus, there'd be time for everyone to get adjusted, since I don't know that Rubio would come in and immediately start.

if the trade goes down, arenas would probably be traded.

Considering his contract and recent injury history, I doubt anyone would take him. Maybe if he's averaging 28 a game again around the trade deadline they could swing something, but I don't even know who they'd target.

Jinxed
05-21-2009, 10:00 PM
So ..who here reads Catalan and can translate?

http://64.233.161.132/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=ca&tl=en&u=http://www.elpunt.cat/noticia/article/8-esports/53-basquet/39189-medita-quedar-se.html&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhgccKClh0e3IlXZ9w11UvtpQ-x0LA

that's the google translation

Darius
05-21-2009, 10:06 PM
McGee is a hell of a lot to give up to move up 2 spots.

Jinxed
05-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Ok here is what the article says in summation.

Ricky wants to be drafted this year, but he might want to stay one more year in Europe to grow as a player. He really wants to experience the Euroleague Final Four which is a big thing for a European basketball player and it will allow him one more year to mature as a player. This is what Rudy Fernandez did, he was drafted, but stayed in Europe for a year before coming over. Marc Gasol did the same thing as well.

In order to pay off his buyout one of two things need to happen. He needs to be selected with one of the top two or three picks in order to get a high enough salary to start paying off the buyout or be selected by a team in NY, LA, Chicago,Celtics who have huge media markets that will allow him the exposure to pay off his buyout with endorsement deals.

Darius
05-21-2009, 10:15 PM
I wish the Clips could land both Rubio & Griffin.

Trade assets:

Deandre Jordan
Minnesota 1st rounder (next years)
Clips 1st rounder (next years)
Chris Kaman
Mike Taylor

Think anything can be done?

GiveItToBurrito
05-21-2009, 10:44 PM

Trade assets:

Deandre Jordan
Chris Kaman
Mike Taylor

They'd have to deal with Memphis or Oklahoma City, neither of which would really be interested. Maybe if you included both picks, Jordan, and a future first rounder or two Memphis would do it because of the money, but I don't know that LA would really want to give up that much.

GiveItToBurrito
05-21-2009, 10:46 PM

Yeah, on Bullets Forever they're talking about ways they could switch in Andray Blatche and either picks or expirers in order to keep McGee.

qrich
05-21-2009, 10:47 PM

Trade assets:

Deandre Jordan
Chris Kaman
Mike Taylor

Well, we did win the top 2 spots :oldlol:.

In reality, I could see the Thunder being interested in DeAndre, as I see him being a better prospect than Hill and if Rubio ends up available to them, it would mean Thabeet is gone.

DeAndre + Minny First + Protected 2010 Clips First (Lotto in 2010, Top 7 in '11, Top 3 in 2012, Unprotected After) could be something possible? Maybe the rights to Sofo, or Thornton if they want him.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 10:49 PM
I agree, espescially when theres not so much to seperate the talent level beetween picks 3-10.

I raved about McGee's potential before and was flamed for it, he has the potential with the proper development to become one of the top C's in the NBA.

Who doesn't want an athletic C who can grab boards, block shots, finish strong at the basket and has range to the 3 point line?

Interminator
05-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Well, we did win the top 2 spots :oldlol:.

In reality, I could see the Thunder being interested in DeAndre, as I see him being a better prospect than Hill and if Rubio ends up available to them, it would mean Thabeet is gone.

DeAndre + Minny First + Protected 2010 Clips First (Lotto in 2010, Top 7 in '11, Top 3 in 2012, Unprotected After) could be something possible? Maybe the rights to Sofo, or Thornton if they want him.
Nobody wants Sofo, hes a fat 6'9 Greek C.

Thunder might do that deal btw, but they don't have interest in Jordan considering they passed on him twice when he fell in the 2008 NBA Draft in order to select Ibaka & DJ White.

Thunderstruck
05-21-2009, 11:03 PM
I agree, espescially when theres not so much to seperate the talent level beetween picks 3-10.

I raved about McGee's potential before and was flamed for it, he has the potential with the proper development to become one of the top C's in the NBA.

Who doesn't want an athletic C who can grab boards, block shots, finish strong at the basket and has range to the 3 point line?

Completely agree. His potential is through the roof, he just has to work for it.

GiveItToBurrito
05-21-2009, 11:04 PM

Thunder might do that deal btw, but they don't have interest in Jordan considering they passed on him twice when he fell in the 2008 NBA Draft in order to select Ibaka & DJ White.

Is it true he's 375 pounds? God, that's ridiculous, he makes Eddy Curry look svelt. Why is he even being discussed as a possible trade asset? I know he used to be good, but so was Shawn Kemp.

qrich
05-21-2009, 11:05 PM

Of course. No one wants a nice big man prospect, who could be a solid bench player in the mold of a Brandon Bass/Big Baby.

I know the Thunder passed on DeAndre for those two, but how has Ibaka worked out for them? Haven't heard anything about him doing anything, and DJ White is a 6'8/6'9, DeAndre is a legit 6'11/7 feet, and his athleticism would perfectly with Durant/Westbrook/Livingston/Green.

Not sure if its enough for OKC, and I, personally, think thats too much to give up for Rubio as I'd rather go for a later pick and Maynor. Just threw it out there for discussion.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Of course. No one wants a nice big man prospect, who could be a solid bench player in the mold of a Brandon Bass/Big Baby.
Im sorry but if hes so massively overweight to the point he can only average 9 minutes per game, and his effectiveness comes in short periods when hes fed the ball I dont see how he fills a Brandon Bass/Big Baby role.

Hes a fat 6'9 C who fell off from a MVP in his league to a turd on the bench in less than 4 years.

I know the Thunder passed on DeAndre for those two, but how has Ibaka worked out for them? Haven't heard anything about him doing anything, and DJ White is a 6'8/6'9, DeAndre is a legit 6'11/7 feet, and his athleticism would perfectly with Durant/Westbrook/Livingston/Green.
Ibaka is only 19 and the purpose is to develop him in Europe for 3-4 years, he was drafted highly because he was just beginning his career in Europe where he can actually develop in an organized setting.

Lakas Fan Yo
05-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Is it true he's 375 pounds? God, that's ridiculous, he makes Eddy Curry look svelt. Why is he even being discussed as a possible trade asset? I know he used to be good, but so was Shawn Kemp.

He's down to 365 now but he's 6-10 according to draft measurements not 6-9. He was 420 at the Olympics.

Lakas Fan Yo
05-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Im sorry but if hes so massively overweight to the point he can only average 9 minutes per game, and his effectiveness comes in short periods when hes fed the ball I dont see how he fills a Brandon Bass/Big Baby role.

Hes a fat 6'9 C who fell off from a MVP in his league to a turd on the bench in less than 4 years.

Ibaka is only 19 and the purpose is to develop him in Europe for 3-4 years, he was drafted highly because he was just beginning his career in Europe where he can actually develop in an organized setting.

Sofo was never an MVP in any league. He's actually not that fat anymore at all, actually it's mostly muscle by looking at him.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Because Sofo apparently will be joining the Clippers summer league squad.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6EfFr4BLORQ/Sbu5t3Es4wI/AAAAAAAAGMc/4e12CZYk8ZI/s400/Sofoklis_Schortsanitis.jpg

That man is built like Escalade from And 1, and qrich really thinks teams want him as a bench player.:applause:

How you have the ignorance to overrate such slop prospects and players on a 19 win team is beyond comprehension.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Sofo was never an MVP in any league. He's actually not that fat anymore at all, actually it's mostly muscle by looking at him.
Sorry, 3X Greek All-Star 1X Greek All Star Game MVP.

gyu
05-21-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't see why Gilbert would have to be shipped out if they get Rubio. He could play the 2 guard and I think that would suit him best since he's a shoot first guard anyways, and it shouldn't be a size issue either with all the tweeners in the league. Even then he has pretty good size (6'4")

Lakas Fan Yo
05-21-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm still a little confused. Why does DKV have to make the finals of the ACB if four teams from their go to the Euroleague?

Because only big Spanish clubs get the spot. If you are a small club like Joventut you have to make the finals. Or make 3rd place and then have a chance to win qualifying rounds the next year to make it. They played the Euroleague this year because they won the Eurocup. The Eurocup is the 2nd level (think of the Euroleague's version of the D-League if you will) and the champion gets a spot in the Euroleague the next year.

Yes 4 ACB teams play in the Euroleague. They are the huge clubs of Real Madrid and FC Barcelona, and the big clubs of Saski Baskonia (used to be called TAU Ceramica) and Unicaja Malaga. Joventut, which is a mid sized Spanish club (and pretty small by European standards) does not.

However, the people that run the ACB also run ULEB. ULEB is also in charge of the Euroleague. It's why you always hear "the Spanish league is the best in Europe." It's not but the people that own and run the entire basketball system are the board of the ACB. It's also why 99% of all marketing and hype money goes only to the ACB league. In the first place if it was not for that there is no way that Spain would even 4 have teams.

It's just like France's league has a partnership with ULEB and they had 2 Euroleague teams and now they will have 3 starting next year. When France's league has been one of the absolute worst leagues in all of Europe for years now. But they buy spots for their clubs. And so forth. Anyway, Spain does have 4 spots and none of them belong to Rubio's club.

Lakas Fan Yo
05-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Sorry, 3X Greek All-Star 1X Greek All Star Game MVP.

Sounds about right. He's not a bad center for 10-12 minutes. I think he could help NBA teams as a 10-12 minute backup.

qrich
05-21-2009, 11:29 PM

That man is built like Escalade from And 1, and qrich really thinks teams want him as a bench player.:applause:

How you have the ignorance to overrate such slop prospects and players on a 19 win team is beyond comprehension.

Of course, you are the worlds greatest scout Mr. Hansbrough is a top 5 pick, McGee is the best prospect, Brughmbah has the potential to a 8x All-Star and Westbrook will be a bust!

I've seen Sofo play plenty of times, and to say he can't come in and give a team a solid 20 minutes is a huge joke, like the majority of your baseless projections.

Already explained the key reason as to him playing only 9 minutes.

Sofo destroying TeamUSA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0nsUbXDSAg)

Didn't know that. Regardless, I doubt Ibaka is a better prospect than Jordan. Ibaka is averaging 11.9 points/8.4 rebounds in 26.25 minutes on a team with no one real notable.

Lakas Fan Yo
05-21-2009, 11:30 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6EfFr4BLORQ/Sbu5t3Es4wI/AAAAAAAAGMc/4e12CZYk8ZI/s400/Sofoklis_Schortsanitis.jpg

That's an old pic from last season. He weighed 450 when that was taken. He's supposedly at about 365 now.

Here are pics from last week.

http://www.sport24.gr/ast/cov/gi/giansofo_b.jpg

http://www.sport24.gr/ast/cov/gl/glynbiscor_b.jpg

Interminator
05-21-2009, 11:31 PM
I don't see why Gilbert would have to be shipped out if they get Rubio. He could play the 2 guard and I think that would suit him best since he's a shoot first guard anyways, and it shouldn't be a size issue either with all the tweeners in the league. Even then he has pretty good size (6'4")
Nobody claimed the Wizards would have to ship out Gilbert.

Gilbert fits perfectly at PG because due to his size & strength he easily has favorable matchups against a majority of NBA PG's, and by moving him to the 2 would sacrifice this advantage and maybe limit him.

Washington needs a defensive minded SG who can handle the ball, but is also capable of proving scoring if needed.Basically the role Larry Hughes vacated from the Wizards, and Deshawn Stevenson has been unable to fill.

James Harden make too much sense for Washington.

Lakas Fan Yo
05-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Ok here is what the article says in summation.

Ricky wants to be drafted this year, but he might want to stay one more year in Europe to grow as a player. He really wants to experience the Euroleague Final Four which is a big thing for a European basketball player and it will allow him one more year to mature as a player. This is what Rudy Fernandez did, he was drafted, but stayed in Europe for a year before coming over. Marc Gasol did the same thing as well.

In order to pay off his buyout one of two things need to happen. He needs to be selected with one of the top two or three picks in order to get a high enough salary to start paying off the buyout or be selected by a team in NY, LA, Chicago,Celtics who have huge media markets that will allow him the exposure to pay off his buyout with endorsement deals.

He's full of crap. Even if his team makes the Euroleague (they probably don't even get past the first round of the ACB playoffs) there is not a chance in hell that his club would make the Euroleague Final Four next year. At this point it is obvious that this guy is just spreading hype and talking only directly to US fans who would not know better.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Of course, you are the worlds greatest scout Mr. Hansbrough is a top 5 pick, McGee is the best prospect, Brughmbah has the potential to a 8x All-Star and Westbrook will be a bust!
Its kinda of funny you have to bring those up in order to boost your ego, I am one of the best scouts of talent on ISH and if there are any better they dont post enough.
Notice all of those were projections, not predictions and provided factual analysis of each players game.

I've seen Sofo play plenty of times, and to say he can't come in and give a team a solid 20 minutes is a huge joke, like the majority of your baseless projections.
But he cant even give his own team 9 minutes consistently throughout the season, thats what you claiming he can do so in the NBA is laughable and just you projecting due to your blind bias.
When he is in the NBDL next season, I could quote these to help big up my ego but I wont because I'm better than that and you.:applause:

Already explained the key reason as to him playing only 9 minutes.

Sofo destroying TeamUSA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0nsUbXDSAg)
You do realize thats from 2006(his prime:confusedshrug:) and he scored 14 points with only 1 rebound.

Didn't know that. Regardless, I doubt Ibaka is a better prospect than Jordan. Ibaka is averaging 11.9 points/8.4 rebounds in 26.25 minutes on a team with no one real notable.
Ibaka is an elite but very raw athlete, since you like to post Youtube clips

Here are Serge's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo9cP0c_okE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZDgyAL7_gA

Hes 19 and in only his 2nd year of basketball in Europe, his potential is tremendous if he can continue to develop.

Interminator
05-21-2009, 11:49 PM
That's an old pic from last season. He weighed 450 when that was taken. He's supposedly at about 365 now.

Here are pics from last week.

http://www.sport24.gr/ast/cov/gi/giansofo_b.jpg

http://www.sport24.gr/ast/cov/gl/glynbiscor_b.jpg
450:confusedshrug:

Was he attempting a career at professional wrestling?

qrich
05-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Its kinda of funny you have to bring those up in order to boost your ego, I am one of the best scouts of talent on ISH and if there are any better they dont post enough.
Notice all of those were projections, not predictions and provided factual analysis of each players game.

Boost my ego? No, I'm just showing your past "projections".

But he cant even give his own team 9 minutes consistently throughout the season, thats what you claiming he can do so in the NBA is laughable and just you projecting due to your blind bias.
When he is in the NBDL next season, I could quote these to help big up my ego but I wont because I'm better than that and you.:applause:

Again, explained that already.

You do realize thats from 2006(his prime:confusedshrug:) and he scored 14 points with only 1 rebound.

Since when is a player in his prime in his early 20s? I believe Sofo was 20/21 at that time.

Here are Serge's

Hes 19 and in only his 2nd year of basketball in Europe, his potential is tremendous if he can continue to develop.

Same exact thing is said about Jordan, except, as of now, Jordan has shown more and has a year in the NBA under his belt. Jordan averaged 7.7/8.5 with 2.5 blocks in 27.5 minutes during his 13 starts, at a 67.8% clip.

Lakas Fan Yo
05-22-2009, 12:04 AM

Here are Serge's

Sofo can play 10-12 minutes in the NBA I think. You can't keep saying he plays limited minutes in Olympiacos as some sort of NBA gauge. Olympiacos has a starting C Vujcic who is a top 4 center in Europe and has numerous times had offers to come to the NBA, he just never left because of money. Then they have their starting PF is Bourousis who is the best big man in the world that's not in the NBA and he could easily start in the NBA. Then a backup PF in Printezis who the Raptors have reportedly already offered a contract to, and so forth.

It is very hard for any 23 year old to get playing time on that front line.

Interminator
Boost my ego? No, I'm just showing your past "projections".
And outside of me posting them either years,months or weeks beforehand I am still not wrong in any of my assessments of a player's talent.

Find me where I'm wrong in suggesting that McGee was an elite potential talent at C who if developed would be very very good, possibly great.Oh but I claimed he should be the #1 pick almost a full year before the draft if Minnesota had the #1 pick.:cheers:

Where am I wrong by suggesting that Westbrook had the best chance out of the top 10 picks of being a bust, taken at #4 as a PG but lacks PG skills or range on his shot and solely relies on his speed,and athleticism to slash to the basket.

Where am I wrong by claiming Keith Brumbaugh if given a chance would emerge as a very good if not star player, his versatility is astounding for his size and he can attack the basket with his left or right while having the range to knock down 3's.

Where am I wrong by suggesting an elite PG prospect like John Wall could go #1 over Blake Griffin if in the 2009 NBA Draft, and depending on who has the #1 pick.

Where am I wrong by suggesting Tyler Hansbrough should have been a Top 5 pick in 2008 in terms of how polished he was at PF,his high basketball IQ,and his production in college but because those skill sets for a PF dont solely translate to this era of the NBA he would be passed on by teams.

You baited, I answered, Game, Set, Match, Win-Interminator.

Good night.

Lakas Fan Yo
450:confusedshrug:

Was he attempting a career at professional wrestling?

No, he's just incredibly lazy.

qrich
05-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Sofo can play 10-12 minutes in the NBA I think. You can't keep saying he plays limited minutes in Olympiacos as some sort of NBA gauge. Olympiacos has a starting C Vujcic who is a top 4 center in Europe and has numerous times had offers to come to the NBA, he just never left because of money. Then they have their starting PF is Bourousis who is the best big man in the world that's not in the NBA and he could easily start in the NBA. Then a backup PF in Printezis who the Raptors have reportedly already offered a contract to, and so forth.

It is very hard for any 23 year old to get playing time on that front line.

Don't bother with him. He thinks a D-League guy who only plays 19 minutes and averages more turnovers than assists can be an 8-time AllStar in the NBA :oldlol:

MiseryCityTexas
05-22-2009, 01:18 AM
i just think ricky rubio want a lock at a starting job compared to him competing with mike conley, and russel westbrook for playing time.

GiveItToBurrito
05-22-2009, 01:29 AM
i just think ricky rubio want a lock at a starting job compared to him competing with mike conley, and russel westbrook for playing time.

I think that if he went to the Grizzlies, they'd have to start him and trade Conley for a promising young power forward or center (good luck finding one of those). No way he goes to either team and isn't the starter by January. In fact, even if he winds up on the Wizards or the Clippers somehow I can't see him warming the bench. He's got so much potential that, for better or for worse, established guys are going to be moved to make room for him, almost in the same way that Kirk Hinrich lost his starting spot to Derrick Rose despite being a more than adequate point guard in his own right.

Jinxed
05-22-2009, 02:01 AM
Giveittoburrito,

who is your avatar of?

chains5000
05-22-2009, 02:16 AM
and the big clubs of Saski Baskonia (used to be called TAU Ceramica)
Saski means "net" in Basque, the team's name still is TAU Cer

blazerjimmy
05-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Originally I was angry about this - brought back thoughts of Danny Ferry, Steve "Franchise" Francis, etc - but after reading through 15 pages of back and forth posts and actually THINKING about it......I don't blame him for having a preference....also, while there is the whole "prestige" thing of playing in the "best league" (NBA), if I had physical skill and the drive to compete at this level and had to choose to play in Memphis, Oklahoma City or Spain.....and I was actually FROM Spain, I'd choose Spain.....I don't blame this kid for having a preference and for making that preference known.

Interminator
05-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Giveittoburrito,

who is your avatar of?
Thats Nick Young.

draftexpert
05-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Whats wrong with the thunder? Durant and westbrook, theyll be awesome in few years. I agree with this site heres the top four picks.

http://2009NBADraft.com

Clippers* Blake Griffin* PF/C
Grizzlies* Hasheem Thabeet* C
Thunder* James Harden* SG
Kings* Ricky Rubio PG