SG Courtney Lee
PG Rafer Alston

Los Angles Lakers
C Andrew Bynum
PF Pau Gasol
SF Trevor Ariza
SG Kobe Bryant
PG Derek Fisher

Vote in the Finals prediction poll on the insidehoops.com front page, lower right
(here: http://www.insidehoops.com/index.shtml#poll )

dak121
05-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Expect to see a lot of Odom at PF going up against Lewis on the perimeter. Lakers match up much better than Cleveland did because of that one factor.

Lakers in 6.

miniharrison37
05-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Yeah, for sure the Lakers would have to start Bynum to stop Howard.

rs98762001
05-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Home court will give this to the Lakers in 6. But it will be a close-fought series, with at least one Orlando blow out. The Lakers struggle with pick and roll and teams that can shoot the 3.

PP34Deuce
05-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Lakers have an answer for Orlando's advantages in the last 2 series.

They have big 6'10 and up Big men with above average athletiscm.
They have 3 point shooters
they have Length in Odom,Ariza,Gasol,Bynum,
They have intelligent players in Kobe,Walton,Fisher
They have athletes that can run in transition to prevent the open 3's orlando gets.
They have a smarter coach who knows how to make adjustments

Orlando has...
Dwight Howard.....

Lakers in 6

100grandman
05-30-2009, 10:58 PM
God I hope Orlando wins.

sixerfan82
05-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Lakers in 6

Easily.

NastaMaverick
05-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Magic in 6. Book it.

mbell75
05-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Lakers in 6

purple8gold
05-30-2009, 11:08 PM
I would love to think the Lakers in 7. But you just never know. IDK. :D

BRabbiT
05-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Jackson will know how to slow down Howard (ie, shaq 2k)

But Turkoglu/Lewis will be a handful

Van Gundy never really had any answer for Lebron (who does?)...Kobe will go off, too.

LAL in 5

Allstar24
05-30-2009, 11:38 PM
This should be a good series...all the Lakers have to show up and play together as a team. Phil should consider starting Odom instead of Bynum for this series.

amfirst
05-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Dwight usually owns Bynum, but Bynum does a better job on him than anyone on the Cavs. It's going to be a tuff match up for the Lakers. :eek:

ZHAKIDD532
05-30-2009, 11:51 PM
I picked the Lakers at the beginning of the season and I'll stick with that. But for them to win, I think for matchup purposes Lamar Odom is going to get a lot of minutes in this series to matchup with Rashard Lewis. And the Lakers are going to struggle against Dwight, but Kobe will have a monster series.

Lakers in 6.

Kingwillball
05-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Magic can win series if they continue to shoot the 3 ball like they have been doing cause Howard will dominate the soft Laker Frontcourt. The Lakers also don't defend the 3 ball that well. There is a reason they were 2-0 against Lakers and any Laker fans saying they win in 5 are gonna be in for a rude awakening. Magic will win this series and Kobe will not be able to dominate games like Lebron did.

veilside23
05-31-2009, 12:03 AM
Magic in six.

cotdt
05-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Bynum is playing through an injury, so it will be Gasol who plays Dwight. I don't think Gasol will have any problems. Gasol is taller and has a jumpshot. Dwight does NOT have a jumpshot and cannot shoot over the taller Gasol.

It sucks that Odom, Ariza, Kobe, and Bynum is injured, yet Lakers are still favored to win it all.

oh the horror
05-31-2009, 12:08 AM
My better sensibilities will take heed of the fact that the Magic wrecked shop on LA during the regular season, sooooooooo with that being said, I am a bit unsure about how this will go.

I will say this...the days off are definately going to help LA..

Andrew must at least do a job on Dwight defensively...but i think you can live with him going off,..

LAKERS MUST COVER THE THREE! They have a bad habit of not doing that.

insidehoops
05-31-2009, 12:10 AM
Reminder: Don't post mere predictions. Post ANALYSIS and DISCUSS the matchup, with OPINIONS about how the teams play, the player matchups, etc. That's worth reading. A simple prediction isn't

Kingwillball
05-31-2009, 12:16 AM
Bynum is playing through an injury, so it will be Gasol who plays Dwight. I don't think Gasol will have any problems. Gasol is taller and has a jumpshot. Dwight does NOT have a jumpshot and cannot shoot over the taller Gasol.

It sucks that Odom, Ariza, Kobe, and Bynum is injured, yet Lakers are still favored to win it all.

LOL..this has to be the moronic post of the night.. nene and Kmart were gettin to the rim and dunking what do U think Howard will be doing ? Gasol is the equivalent of Varejo gaurding Howard..Howard will eat Gasol up if he gets low post position.

PP34Deuce
05-31-2009, 12:21 AM
I dont expect Bryant to go off 40 plus all series like Lebron did.

Pietrus is very athletic and tenacious, he gave up speed and strength on lebron with Kobe he matches his athletically and will force kobe into at least one subpar 43 below FG%.

THe lakers get too confident but, athletically they are able to close on the magics lengthier shooters.

On the lakers side i see.

Odom and Ariza playing a lot of minutes to neutralize Hedo and Lewis. I think Odom when focused can slow down Lewis due to his athletiscm. Ariza will take away the penetration advantage Hedo had with clevelands undersized lineup.

Kobe will have to move off the ball because Pietrus is a good defender who is tenacious.

Fisher may start, but Farmer should be getting good 25 mins in this series. He can neutralize Alston better than Fisher could.

Gasol can move howard further away from the basket on posessions and that helps the lakers rebounding.

On the magic side.....

Pietrus has shown he can score 10-15 points off the bench consistently while giving good defense. Lakers need to remember his sweet spot(right corner) and defend it.

The magic have been lights out from 3 collectively....I expect the magic to cool down, but will definitely shoot 38 percent from 3.

Overall, I hate both teams but the Lakers focused are better, Dwight and Kobe have the upper hands, but both teams are able to neutralize role player advantages.

That said I feel the lakers win in 6. Phil Jackson is a lot better at adjustments than Rivers and Brown.

PP34Deuce
05-31-2009, 12:25 AM
LOL..this has to be the moronic post of the night.. nene and Kmart were gettin to the rim and dunking what do U think Howard will be doing ? Gasol is the equivalent of Varejo gaurding Howard..Howard will eat Gasol up if he gets low post position.

Gasol may not be tough at all, but comparing him to Varejau(spelled wrong i bet) is assinine.

Gasol has very good shooting range for a big man. Howard cant do as much damage if hes away from the basket. Perkins and Davis showed the blue print on how to guard him. If the lakers execute the plan right, howard wont be camped 5 feet in as much.

PP34Deuce
05-31-2009, 12:26 AM

Gasol may not be tough at all, but comparing him to Varejau(spelled wrong i bet) is assinine.

Gasol has very good shooting range for a big man. Howard cant do as much damage if hes away from the basket. Perkins and Davis showed the blue print on how to guard him. If the lakers execute the plan right, howard wont be camped 5 feet in as much.

hawkfan
05-31-2009, 12:26 AM
Magic in six.

Howard will own Bynum, canceling out good play by Kobe.

IcanzIIravor
05-31-2009, 12:27 AM
Outside of Gortat and Dwight the Magic aren't a physical team. Physical teams give the Lakers problems. I think Lakers in 6.

RocketGreatness
05-31-2009, 12:29 AM
Considering the fact that most teams that have won the championship were actually swept in the regular season by their opponent in the Finals.

Cavs vs Spurs - Cavs swept them in Reg. Season, Spurs sweep them in the Finals.

Mavericks-Heat - Mavs swept Heat in Reg. Season, Heat end up taking the series 4-2.

However, last season. Lakers got swept by the Celtics in the regular season and lost to the Celtics in the Finals. It may be a different story considering the fact that the Celtics had 3 Hall of famers on that team that were very hungry for a championship as well.

Hiei
05-31-2009, 12:29 AM
I think this will be a repeat of Houston vs Lakers in terms of game scores. Howard will prove to be rather insignificant against lakers, it will be all about Lewis/Pietrus/Alston making 3s. Gasol will have a much easier time scoring than he did against Rockets and Nuggets, I don't see anyone on magic that could really defend him. Kobe will no doubt be getting chased down by smaller magic players, putting more preasure on rest of Lakers team to make points. Unless Lakers play like they did in last game against Nuggets, I have to say Lakers in 7.

Lakers13
05-31-2009, 12:31 AM
Lakers in 6 or 7.

Lakers live off the fast break, and if those 3's aren't going in for Orlando they will get gobbled up. Lakers will have trouble defending Dwight of course, and as well as leaving those open perimeter players on double teams on Dwight. Then again Orlando doesnt have an answer for Kobe....

Should be a fun series to see, congrats to Magic fans on getting back to the finals.

insidehoops
05-31-2009, 12:34 AM
Vote in NBA Finals prediction poll, lower right side of insidehoops.com front page:

http://www.insidehoops.com/index.shtml#poll

Kingwillball
05-31-2009, 12:35 AM

I am saying defensively.. Pau is soft and Howard will muscle him right uder rim and either get those baby hooks or dunks and also draw Fouls. Howard is a matchup nightmare that the Lakers don't have any answers for.

zabuza666
05-31-2009, 12:38 AM

Dwight Howard will absolutely molest Gasol downlow.

RocketGreatness
I am saying defensively.. Pau is soft and Howard will muscle him right uder rim and either get those baby hooks or dunks and also draw Fouls. Howard is a matchup nightmare that the Lakers don't have any answers for.
Considering the fact that they have Andrew Bynum on that team. Pau won't have to guard him, unless they want to go small. Dwight is just more physical than all of them, which might be different. But the Magic's best offense comes from pick n rolls and shooting 3's. Not Dumping the ball to Dwight Howard and let him do everything, that's what the Rockets best offense is to Yao Ming.

Lakers will let Dwight Howard get his and contain the 3 point shooters. That's what I think is going to happen. You would rather have Dwight Howard get constant 2 pointers instead of risking their 3 point shooters being open. Dwight is not the best offensive big man in the NBA, not even Top 10 for that matter.

justin43
The Lakers frontcourt can get Dwight in foul trouble by going at Dwight. Odom and Gasol are faster and more versatile than Dwight Howard. Get Dwight to defend against their driving and he will get in foul trouble. That is how you neutralize Dwight Howard. Make him defend.

IcanzIIravor
05-31-2009, 12:48 AM
The Lakers frontcourt can get Dwight in foul trouble by going at Dwight. Odom and Gasol are faster and more versatile than Dwight Howard. Get Dwight to defend against their driving and he will get in foul trouble. That is how you neutralize Dwight Howard. Make him defend.

I agree. The Lakers have the bigs in Pau and Bynum that can get Dwight in foul trouble as much as Dwight can get them in trouble. The Cav's only had one big man who could score and that was big Z who settled for jump shots like he was Dirk.

Kingwillball
05-31-2009, 12:57 AM
Considering the fact that they have Andrew Bynum on that team. Pau won't have to guard him, unless they want to go small. Dwight is just more physical than all of them, which might be different. But the Magic's best offense comes from pick n rolls and shooting 3's. Not Dumping the ball to Dwight Howard and let him do everything, that's what the Rockets best offense is to Yao Ming.

Lakers will let Dwight Howard get his and contain the 3 point shooters. That's what I think is going to happen. You would rather have Dwight Howard get constant 2 pointers instead of risking their 3 point shooters being open. Dwight is not the best offensive big man in the NBA, not even Top 10 for that matter.

He is top 10, he is the most dominant force big man in the NBA. Skill wise there are others that are better but his athleticness and power create problems much like Lebrons but at the center position instead of on the wing.

crisoner
05-31-2009, 12:58 AM
I have the Lakers in six because I think the Lakers will more then rise to the the occasion after last years loss. I also think that homecourt advantage will be HUGE for the Lakers...it's just the edge they need to beat Orlando in a 7 game series.

Lakers in 6

Samurai Swoosh
05-31-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm so depressed. I was biting at the bit for a Lakers / Cavs ... Kobe / LeBron show down. Guess the Cavs were just overhyped in a weak conference. God knows they wouldn't have lasted near this long with a healthy defending champion Celtics, or even a healthy Magic team. Guess Cleveland should be lucky they had the year that they did.

Ashame the MVP couldn't get his team to at least the Finals. No one is saying you have to win it but it would've been nice to see him there.

Rocker09
05-31-2009, 01:10 AM
Center position-Orlando has howard but Gasol or Bynum MIGHT be able to slow him down a bit. Let's not forget that gasol is quicker than howard. This might get help the lakers get howard in foul troublw...Advantage-Magic

Forward position-Odom and occasionaly pau VS Turkoglu and Lewis....Odom(if focused) can actually play pretty good defense...Let's not forget about trevor ariza(who'll probably guard turkoglu)...Turkoglu and Lewis on the other hand are not really known as great defenders...Odom's quickness will pose a problem for orlando...Advantage-Lakers

Guard position-Fisher + Kobe VS Alston + Pietrus....Alston might give fisher problems but Kobe's presence will just negate that.....Kobe will be able to defend pietrus well but I think he will need to sacrifice his offense a little bit...Advantage-Lakers

Role players/Bench- The lakers has one of the best bench in the NBA(Walton, Odom, farmar, vuljacic)....The key here is luke walton...he played good in the series against the nuggets, Im just hoping that he'll be able to do it again...Advantage-Lakers

Coach
Phil Jackson >>> SVG

Experience
I don't think I need to explain this one...Lakers > Magic

The Magic's 3 pt shooting might pose a problem for the lakers but if the lakers focus the way they did in game 6 of the western conf finals, I believe they'll be able to neutralize this...

Lakers in 6...

mbell75
05-31-2009, 01:13 AM
Its true, Lakers may not have an answer for Howard...but the Magic have no answer for Kobe, at all. Howard can not take over a game like Kobe can, you can put him on the line towards the end of games if you have to, although Phil doesnt like that. They have Mbenga and Powell, 12 fouls for Howard on the bench, nice luxury to have.

Gasol will draw Howard away from the paint opening things up for Kobe and Ariza to drive and Odom to rebound. I see brown getting alot more minutes as he is a very good perimeter defender, so is Ariza. They along with Kobe can close out to those 3 point shooters. Phil hates to double team, Cavs did leaving shooters wide open.

Howard is prone to picking up fouls. If he picks up quick fouls and has to sit, forget it. Lakers will open up big leads, God forbid he fouls out of a game. Phil Jackson will also make the correct adjustments and seriously out coach Van Gumby for sure.

Lakers in 6.

#1SportsFan86
05-31-2009, 01:14 AM
Wow Lakers fans picking the Lakers to win that's not surprising at all......:applause:

AJ2k8
05-31-2009, 01:20 AM
Magic in 6...:ohwell:

NBASTATMAN
05-31-2009, 01:23 AM
Expect to see a lot of Odom at PF going up against Lewis on the perimeter. Lakers match up much better than Cleveland did because of that one factor.

Lakers in 6.

Hmm someone knows a bit of basketball.. The Lakers also have a center who can score a good amount of points with few possessions.. Gasol is also a very good passer and has played great help defense... Howard will score but not as easy as he did vs Z.... The Lakers have a taller team and much more athletic... THE LAKERS HAVE MORE TALENT SO I say the lakers in 6 or 7.. Kobe should dominate this series as well..

MBC2K4
05-31-2009, 01:28 AM
Even though the Lakers started Gasol & Bynum in both meetings against Orlando this year, I would start Odom at the 4 and start Gasol at C. It's much better for the team from a match-up perspective to have Gasol/Howard and Odom/Lewis in my opinion. Plus, Gasol is a crafty mo-fo in the paint and Howard can get undisciplined with his decision making on the defensive end at times. Gasol has a much better chance of getting him on the bench in foul trouble than Bynum does.

UCLA - Lakers
05-31-2009, 01:30 AM
I don't know who's going to win the NBA championship this year, but hopefully it's the Lakers.

I'm just happy the Lakers don't have to face 3 future hall of famers and one of the best defensive teams of all time. Phew!

MBC2K4
05-31-2009, 01:33 AM
Even though the Lakers started Gasol & Bynum in both meetings against Orlando this year, I would start Odom at the 4 and start Gasol at C. It's much better for the team from a match-up perspective to have Gasol/Howard and Odom/Lewis in my opinion. Plus, Gasol is a crafty mo-fo in the paint and Howard can get undisciplined with his decision making on the defensive end at times. Gasol has a much better chance of getting him on the bench in foul trouble than Bynum does.

Also last year in the only meeting between the Lakers and Magic where Gasol played, he started at C against Howard and went 12-15 from the field for 30 points and 9 rebounds. Howard was only 6-11 for 16 points. Gasol can do damage against Howard if he is matched with him.

mbell75
05-31-2009, 01:35 AM
Wow Lakers fans picking the Lakers to win that's not surprising at all......:applause:

Even if I wasnt a Lakers fan, I would be picking them. They have Kobe, a better bench, HCA, better coach, were just in the Finals last year and have more experience, can close out to shooters....lots of reasons.

Mechanixxxx
05-31-2009, 01:36 AM
Im gonna go with the Lakers in 7. Its gonna be a though series featuring two teams that have being tested before throughout the Playoffs.
For the Magic to win this:
1 -They'll need to execute screen and roll early and often cuz if they do, they'll get all those open 3 that they love so much
2 - Superman needs to stay away from the Kryptonite(foul trouble)
3 - Van gundy needs to keep his compousure so his team can stay focuss
4 - turn kobe into a scorer

As for the Lakers:
1- they need to defend screen n roll with efectiveness
2- say within their offense
3- go to Pau frequently in order to get dwight howard in foul trouble
4- Kobe needs to play like he did in games 5 and 6 of the denver series
5- Protect the lead

To all the Magic fans, may the best team win :cheers:

LAKERS vs MAGIC....Lets get it on!!

FashionIssues
05-31-2009, 01:47 AM
svg is always on edge for 48 minutes. his attention to detail contends for 48 minutes straight. phil can't discredit the magic and play them with the same old calm mentality. fire power for fire power, theirs is much more collected, experienced, and better decision makers.

Darius
05-31-2009, 02:07 AM
I'm taking the Lakers in 5.

Maybe Howard raised his game magically... but more likely he was taking advantage of weak defenders - Kendrick Perkins bodied him in the prior series.

Gasol can't guard Lewis but Lewis can't guard Gasol either. Odom can guard Lewis if they want to go with that match up. Ariza can check Turkgolu. The Magic have no one that can hurt LA at their weakest position.

lilo
05-31-2009, 02:18 AM
I'm taking the Lakers in 5.
The Magic have no one that can hurt LA at their weakest position.

And this is why Magic magically swept Lakers in the regular season?

RocketGreatness
05-31-2009, 02:21 AM
He is top 10, he is the most dominant force big man in the NBA. Skill wise there are others that are better but his athleticness and power create problems much like Lebrons but at the center position instead of on the wing.
We are talking about big men in general not just centers.

Here are 10 big men better than Dwight on offense. Keep in mind it's just about scoring, it's just offense in general which would include the likes of passing and scoring.

-Yao
-Duncan
-Bosh
-Amare
-Al Jefferson
-Pau Gasol
-Carlos Boozer
-Dirk
-Kevin Garnett
-Shaq

And this is why Magic magically swept Lakers in the regular season?
That would be Jameer Nelson who will not be playing in this finals. Oh and keep in mind the Cavs swept the Spurs in the regular season in 2007. Guess what happened in the Finals? Did I also mention the Mavericks also swept the Heat in the regular season? What happened in the Finals?

Regular season means nothing. Especially when nobody on that Magic team has even experienced The Finals while everybody on the Lakers minus Bynum, Ariza and Brown have.

lilo
05-31-2009, 02:26 AM
Regular season means nothing. Especially when nobody on that Magic team has even experienced The Finals while everybody on the Lakers minus Bynum, Ariza and Brown have.

Well, they all (Lakers without Shaq) proved to be losers, did not they? :lol

GiveItToBurrito
05-31-2009, 02:26 AM
Even if I wasnt a Lakers fan, I would be picking them. They have Kobe, a better bench, HCA, better coach, were just in the Finals last year and have more experience, can close out to shooters....lots of reasons.

I've rooted against the Lakers all year and I completely agree with everything you said (possible exception being that Jackson's a better coach than Van Gundy, but that's another thread, I guess). Odom and Gasol are like the opposite of Cleveland's bigs in terms of mobility and quickness, and they should give Orlando trouble. A lot of what led to the two Magic wins this season was probably Nelson giving Fisher as much trouble as all small point guards do. I'm predicting Lakers in five, maybe six, although I'll still be rooting for Orlando.

Kiddlovesnets
05-31-2009, 02:38 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2hfs743.jpg

#1SportsFan86
05-31-2009, 03:21 AM
Since everybody is picking the Lakers I'm gonna go with the underdog so I got the Magic in 6, both teams match very well but I think the Magic have enuff fire power to hange with the Lakers...Michael Pietrus is gonna be the X factor again in this series...I can't wait untill they play!!!!!!!

Kiddlovesnets
05-31-2009, 03:23 AM
I don't think the Magic can win game 6 or game 7 in LA. They must attempt to finish the Lakers off in 5 or they lose this series.

Kobe Jnr
05-31-2009, 03:44 AM
is their a chance jameer is gonna play?

oh the horror
05-31-2009, 04:01 AM

Even if he did, by some miracle...what exactly do you think he could do? Dude hasnt played for HALF a season, PLUS most of the playoffs.

cotdt
05-31-2009, 04:13 AM
Even if he did, by some miracle...what exactly do you think he could do? Dude hasnt played for HALF a season, PLUS most of the playoffs.

Jordan didn't play for over a year after his retirement, came back and immediately dropped 55 in the Madison Square Garden. It could happen.

thejumpa
05-31-2009, 04:14 AM

Doubt it. He said in Game 6 vs the Cavs he was aiming for a preseason return....

If he did come back, that would be crazy as hell. I think Skip and Carter can hold it down though.

This will be a good series. I'm predicting the Magic in 7, 6 if they play like they did vs Cleveland. When a team is playing THAT focused with that kind of ball movement and everybody is confident and willing to take big shots, it's damn near impossible to guard. Lewis and Turk shouldn't have a problem but Peitrus, Lee, Skip, and Orlandos other C gotta play well to put away the Lakers. I'm excited for this series...

Never thought I would say this but.....LET'S GO MAGIC!

oh the horror
05-31-2009, 04:15 AM
Jordan didn't play for over a year after his retirement, came back and immediately dropped 55 in the Madison Square Garden. It could happen.

Yeah, but MJ was part bionic. We all know that.

takeittothehoop
05-31-2009, 07:27 AM
Lakers in 5. Book it. Championship no.15 is going to look mighty good in Staples.

All Net
05-31-2009, 07:29 AM
Lakers in 6

Without Nelson the Magic aren't nearly as deadly. If L.A pay attention to the three point line they will be fine, Dwight had the pleasure of going up against a weak frontcourt against the Cavs...here he will have problems...more defensively than anything else.

All Net
05-31-2009, 07:41 AM
I replied back via PM, be best to keep this thread just about Lakers/Magic.

dazed27
05-31-2009, 08:04 AM

hahah its not surprising to see you with a moranic post

yeaaaman
05-31-2009, 08:06 AM
Also last year in the only meeting between the Lakers and Magic where Gasol played, he started at C against Howard and went 12-15 from the field for 30 points and 9 rebounds. Howard was only 6-11 for 16 points. Gasol can do damage against Howard if he is matched with him.

Last year? Let's talk about this year.. I'm just taking what I wrote in another thread:

Well, in both games this year I'd say Dwight was rather significant. He had 18 and 12 with a couple blocks and only took 6 shots, they Lakers gave up 15 FT's to him. Add to that Pau and Bynum shot a combined 5-13, Bynum couldn't even stay in the game.

The second game Howard had 25 20 and 3 blocks while Bynum and Gasol were able to muster 27pts and 12rebs on 11 for 26 shooting between the two of them.

Personally I'd say Howard will be the opposite of insignificant, even if he doesn't have huge numbers offensively. He will rebound the ball well and is more than likely going to protect the paint.

Personally I think the Lakers definitely have the upper hand in the series with Kobe plus their experience from last year should be enough to get them over the top in 6, but I'm definitely rooting for ORL and wouldn't be surprised if they take it in 6. If they steal game 1 I think they have a good chance.

Take Your Lumps
05-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Redick vs. Morrison!!! OMG! :eek:

GMW
05-31-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm picking the Lakers in 6. It will be a tough series no doubt, but it was Jameer Nelson who was killing us in the regular season, they'll miss him. Unlike Cleveland, we've got the perfect guys to throw at Turkoglu and Lewis in Ariza and Odom. Look for the Lakers' bigs to attack and try to get Howard in foul trouble before he can do the same to us. Dunno who is supposed to check Kobe, I read Pietrus did a good job on Lebron, but he still averaged like 40 points so Kobe should have no trouble scoring when he wants to.

Good luck Magic fans, may the best team win.

Shepseskaf
05-31-2009, 10:33 AM
Expect to see a lot of Odom at PF going up against Lewis on the perimeter.
Odom can't guard Lewis in the perimeter. On the other hand Lewis can't deal with Odom down low. They might end of canceling each other out, but look for Lewis to score more and Odom to rebound more.

KenneBell
05-31-2009, 10:42 AM
It should be very close. I don't think either team in winning in under 6 games. The Lakers just need to show up and compete. The Magic just need to keep playing like they have been.

Younggrease
05-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Odom can't guard Lewis in the perimeter. On the other hand Lewis can't deal with Odom down low. They might end of canceling each other out, but look for Lewis to score more and Odom to rebound more.

why? Lewis has no dribble moves at all. All he has to do is close out and he is fine.

Kujo
05-31-2009, 01:02 PM
Howard should be able to dominate Gasol and/or Bynum. Hell, the whole Lakers front court. He just needs to stay out of foul trouble.

Ariza, and Odom match-up well with Turk, and Lewis. If Orlando can get out in transition, and should the 3 like they have the whole playoffs, they have a chance.

Fisher has sucked all playoffs, so Alston/Johnson have the advantage here.

The key is obviously Kobe. He'll dominate who ever guards him. Lee is pretty good defender, but he won't be able to guard Kobe. If he goes off in this series (all around game, not dominate scoring points), and get's solid support from his teammates, the Lakers will win.

I'll pray to the most high that the Magic win the series.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the home team win all the games in this series, so home court advantage maybe the key/deciding factor.

With all that being said, Lakers in 6. I hope I'm wrong. :D

KOBEtherealKing
05-31-2009, 01:21 PM
i see some laker fans saying all orlando has is howard, they have hedo, lewis, and lee and pietrus.

yes all the lakers gotta do is defend the 3pt line, and don't let howard elbow them trying make a shot.

LET'S GO LAKERS!:rockon:

SoCalMike
05-31-2009, 01:24 PM
Howard should be able to dominate Gasol and/or Bynum. Hell, the whole Lakers front court. He just needs to stay out of foul trouble.
from what basis do you say this? in the two games the magic won in the regular season, he did not dominate...and thanks to jameer, they won those games. he certainly played well, but far from domination. just sayin....

:pimp:

Kingwillball
05-31-2009, 01:26 PM
I think Pietris will be the unsung hero in this series and will give Kobe more trouble than most are realizing. Without a doubt Lee/Pietris will gaurd Kobe much better than Denver did. Pietris did a good job of wearing Down Lebron and making him work but Kobe is more perimiter oriented and Pietris size and athletisism will cause Kobe Problems even more than Lebron cause he can't use his own size and strength like Lebron did.

bruceblitz
05-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Everyone knows the Odom's, Kobe's, Dwight's, Gasol's, Hedo's, Rashard's of the world will step up, but who will be your X-factor?

Candidates:

Bynum
Pietrus
Ariza
Alston
Gortat
Fisher
Shannon B
Jordan Farmar
Luke Walton
Courtney Lee
??????

OneMoreSucka
05-31-2009, 01:46 PM
Odom.

Kiddlovesnets
05-31-2009, 01:53 PM
Jameer Nelson

AirJordan23
05-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Odom easily.

bruceblitz
05-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Jameer Nelson
I want to wait to see if he actually plays and if he does it will be in such a limited role, I don't know if I could feel confident as an observer stating that opinion.

sixerfan82
05-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Odom NEEDS to get 15ish a game for the Lakers to win. They can shut down 1-2 of Orlando's guys, but Odom needs to play big.

With 2 playmakers in Kobe and Lamar, Gasol doin his thing and Bynum working cleanup, it should be an easy 6 games for the Lakers.

Allstar24
05-31-2009, 02:01 PM
The X-factor for the Lakers is Trevor Ariza. For Orlando...Rafer Alston. I think he'll have a monster series because a) he always plays extremely well against us b) Fisher will defend him :ohwell:

D-Rose
05-31-2009, 02:05 PM
I think Pietris will be the unsung hero in this series and will give Kobe more trouble than most are realizing. Without a doubt Lee/Pietris will gaurd Kobe much better than Denver did. Pietris did a good job of wearing Down Lebron and making him work but Kobe is more perimiter oriented and Pietris size and athletisism will cause Kobe Problems even more than Lebron cause he can't use his own size and strength like Lebron did.
Kobe is a better player in the post than LeBron because of the triangle. Did you not watch the Denver series? Kobe posts up on smaller defender, help defender comes, Kobe finds an open Fish, Ariza, Gasol, etc. Kobe is a smarter player than LeBron as Wilbon said, he understands the game more.

Gasol will have trouble guarding Shard but Shard will also have trouble guarding Pau.

catch24
05-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Hopefully Brown or Ariza

Odom needs to be a consistent 3rd "go-to-guy".

KeylessEntry
05-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Peitrus and Lee for the Magic. If those guys defend Kobe well and keep hitting their shots its going to be a lonnggg series for the Lakers.

Odom for the Lakers. He is the guy with a best chance of shutting down either Turkoglu or Lewis, he is also going to have to get 8-10+ rpg if the Lakers want to win.

D-Rose
Odom & Ariza / Pietrus & Rafer

quasimoto
Definitely Odom.

Knicks101
05-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Pietrus.

RocketGreatness
05-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Lakers: Ariza, Fisher and Odom - I think Fisher might be the biggest, he's had big scoring games against the Magic this season. Ariza has been very consistent, I don't think you can still continue to call him an x-factor.

Magic: Pietrus, Alston or Lee - I think Alston might be the biggest. He was a huge x-factor against the Cavs in there wins. Pietrus as well, but I don't think he'll have a big series simply because the Lakers' guards are big enough to match Pietrus. The Cavs sent 6'3 guys on Pietrus.

GiveItToBurrito
05-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Odom doesn't even need to be a scorer, just guard Rashard Lewis and Turkoglu. Of the people on the list, I think that Rafer is the most likely to have a better than usual series since, even though he's not that fast, he can still run circles around Fisher. Ariza could be a difference maker, too, since he seems like he can get up and down the court significantly faster than Turk.

indiefan23
05-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Everyone knows the Odom's, Kobe's, Dwight's, Gasol's, Hedo's, Rashard's of the world will step up, but who will be your X-factor?

Candidates:

Bynum
Pietrus
Ariza
Alston
Gortat
Fisher
Shannon B
Jordan Farmar
Luke Walton
Courtney Lee
??????

Odom/Lewis. They are the match up problems and the series will ride with them.

OldSchoolBBall
05-31-2009, 02:18 PM
The only big question in my mind is whether the Magic's shooters (Lewis/Turk/Pietrus/Alston) show up like they did throughout the rest of the playoffs. If they do, the Magic have a decent shot. If they pull a disappearing act (one that has nothing to do with LA's defense; e.g., if all of a sudden they can't hit open 3's), it's over in 5. With good play from their shooters, they can push it to 6, maybe 7 (only a 5-10% chance of a game 7 imo).

UCLA - Lakers
05-31-2009, 02:18 PM
9/10 went with LA... & it took the Magic to 7 game series and a 6 game series. Deja Vu! At least we got Tim Legler's vote of confidence.

UCLA - Lakers
05-31-2009, 02:21 PM
Jameer Nelson

He's not playing, and I don't know why people think he might. He was interviewed last night and he said that HOPEFULLY he could make it back by preseason.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
05-31-2009, 02:22 PM

watch some fcuking games before making comments like this....:banghead:

bruceblitz
05-31-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm going with the underdog. The biggest problem with the Lakers defense is defending the pick-n-roll and the Magic are great at using screens to get good looks at 3 pointers. Look for the Magic to set up great looks in the corner for 3 as well. I personally think the Lakers have more talent top-to-bottom but the Magic are a better defensive unit and they have better pure shooters. I predict that Bynum will have problems staying out of foul trouble the entire series so it will come down to Odom and Gasol in the frontcourt. Who's gonna defend Rashard's high release? Who's gonna stop Dwight Howard? Who's gonna stop Kobe Bryant? All questions to ponder but when you look at the team aspect I think the Magic have the edge. Coaching edge and experience goes to Phil Jackson, of course. That being said I have the Lakers squeaking out a game 1 victory, Magic steal game 2, from that point on Magic dominate the series winning it in 6. What's your take?

The Magic Man
05-31-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm going with the underdog. The biggest problem with the Lakers defense is defending the pick-n-roll. I personally think the Lakers have more talent top-to-bottom but the Magic are a better defensive unit and they have better pure shooters. I predict that Bynum will have problems staying out of foul trouble the entire series so it will come down to Odom and Gasol in the frontcourt. Who's gonna defend Rashard's high release? Who's gonna stop Dwight Howard? Who's gonna stop Kobe Bryant? All questions to ponder but when you look at the team aspect I think the Magic have the edge. Coaching edge and experience goes to Phil Jackson, of course. That being said I have the Lakers squeaking out a game 1 victory, Magic steal game 2, from that point on Magic dominate the series winning it in 6. What's your take?

A profound Laker hater making an official Laker thread?

Dueces.

RocketGreatness
05-31-2009, 02:26 PM
Lakers advantages and Why I hope and think they will and win.

-Dwight is also going to be in frequent foul trouble with guarding Gasol and Bynum in the paint and with Kobe Bryant and Trevor Ariza attacking the rim.
-Shard cannot keep up with Gasol, let's get that straight. Gasol has a better chance stopping Shard from launching baseline 3's then Shard does defending Gasol in either high or low post.
-Lakers are way more experienced, nobody on the Magic have been to the Finals. This will actually matter this time, considering the fact that the Lakers were facing a hungry Celtics team last year with 3 Hall of famers.

D-Rose
05-31-2009, 02:27 PM
I think the Lakers are much better suited to defending the Magic than the Cavs were. IF Bynum can stay out of foul trouble, he can help keep Gasol on the court. Gasol can score on Shard anytime he wants, Shard would take jumpshots over him which aren't as high of a % of going in.

If Odom plays like he did in the last two games, I think it will go
Game 1 - LA wins
Game 2 - La wins
Game 3 - ORL wins
Game 4 - ORL wins
Game 5 - LA wins
Game 6 - LA wins

Lakers in 6.

guy
05-31-2009, 02:28 PM
Bynum easily IMO. IMO Orlando's three-point shooters won't play as well just cause its doubtful that they can stay as hot as they have been plus the matchups aren't as favorable being against Odom, Ariza, and Kobe. But Bynum can be very up and down. If he can play as good as he is capable of playing (17 ppg/11 rpg/3 bpg), he could give Howard alot of trouble, and I don't see the Magic having any chance. But he's capable of dropping a complete dud and not even average half of that, and if that means Howard goes completely off, then the Magic have a great chance..

Ken_Masters
05-31-2009, 02:56 PM
Orlando is going to win this series simply because i think Howard is making that leap. I think a dominant big always trumps a dominant swing player. Howard has a look in his eyes like he finally gets it. I don't think the Lakers will be able to stop him, and i think he will carry the Magic to a championship. Don't know in how many games, but i think he gets it done.

ItsTwisted
05-31-2009, 03:06 PM
All of the Lakers fans here acting like the Lakers will dominate, come on that is not being resonable. Magic are a very strong team who plays defense and has a good offense, and add Dwight Howard to the mix, you never know what can happen. However people saying Magic in 6, just because of the regular season are greatly wrong. You guys are forgetting that the Cavs given a couple of points here and there could have won this series even with their bad defense and Orlando's three point shooting, as well as Howards massive games, unfortunately their role players did not play up to their potential so they got beat.

With the Lakers you will rarely see them go 3 games with Kobe scoring over 35 and everybody else have less the 15. That happened I believe once in the Nuggets series, and the next game we came back even stronger. Even in the Rockets series that Kobe struggled at times, the role players stepped up and stepped up big, so it will be a huge difference. People acting like Orlando is unbeatable because of the series they went to. The Boston Celtics without KG took them to 7 games, and the Cavs who played bad throughout the whole series almost beat them, so what makes you guys so confident?? Please enlighten me.

Gasol will have problems guarding Howard, however Howard will have bigger problems guarding Gasol as well. It was easier for Howard to guard Ilgauskas because he does not have a post game like Gasols. Also I believe Lebron made some mistakes during the series as well. When they doubled team him, most of the time you saw him kick it out for a three instead of going to the inside to Ilgauskas and getting Howard in foul trouble. Kobe is a smarter player at this point in time and can deliver that ball to Bynum or Gasol, and on top of that you have Ariza open somewhere for a three or Fisher.

The pick and roll with Gasol and Bryant when its working is unstoppable and can cause a lot of trouble this series, I am sure Phil is aware of this as well since we used it last time against Orlando and it worked to perfection unfortunately Jameer Nelson was the key to both of those games in the 4th quarter and killed Fisher. Well now they do not have Nelson, and I am interested in seeing how Fisher will guard Alston even though I think he will have problems since Alston and Brooks are similar and he could not guard Brooks if his life depended on it. However I think Farmar or Brown are very capable of guarding Alston.

The key players in this series are Ariza/Odom for the Lakers and Pietrus/Alston for Orlando. For the Lakers when Odom and Ariza both play great and put up good numbers with Gasol and Bryant, we have not lost a game this whole season including the post season because when the other defense has 4 players to focus on it is much harder to guard and takes out your game offensively. For Orlando the same thing, when ever Pietrus and Alston play well they have won this postseason. I am very interested in seeing how Odom and Ariza do against Lewis and Pietrus, and it will be a very good series. I will say Lakers in 6 though due to our experience, and our role players so far have been playing average and I believe that can carry us over the hill against Orlando, but it definitely will not be easy.

Kingwillball
05-31-2009, 03:09 PM
watch some fcuking games before making comments like this....:banghead:

Kobe can not drive like lebron not even close, he is a glorified jump shooter. Kobe is about to take another knock to his legacy. Pietris will gaurd him similar to the way Battier did.

ItsTwisted
05-31-2009, 03:17 PM
Kobe can not drive like lebron not even close, he is a glorified jump shooter. Kobe is about to take another knock to his legacy. Pietris will gaurd him similar to the way Battier did.

Werent you the same person saying the Lakers will get killed by the Nuggets in 6 games and how Jones and JR Smith can guard Kobe? What happened with that, how did it work out?

Comparing Pietrus to Battier is very comical. Before talking nonsense why dont you go and get some basketball knowledge instead of reading books on how to be a hater.:roll:

The_Yearning
05-31-2009, 03:17 PM
Orl in 6. Rep me if my prediction is correct. If that chump who knows nothing about basketball "Maniak" has that much greens, I'm the Grizzlies of the Gasol deal.

hotsizzle
05-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Bynum needs to have his best series yet. He needs to come out with energy and passion and cherish the challenge of taking on Howard. He really the key to this series. He has the body to guard Howard. Lakers frontline as a whole need to do a better job at rebounding the ball also.

This is going to be a great series. Lakers with homecourt is huge.I predict LA to win the first 2, then take 1 in Orl and finish it off at home in 6. Go Lakers. 4 more wins baby

hotsizzle
05-31-2009, 03:20 PM
Odom doesn't even need to be a scorer, just guard Rashard Lewis and Turkoglu. Of the people on the list, I think that Rafer is the most likely to have a better than usual series since, even though he's not that fast, he can still run circles around Fisher. Ariza could be a difference maker, too, since he seems like he can get up and down the court significantly faster than Turk.

Rafer scares me. He always killed the Lakers when he was on Houston. Hopefully we see more of Farmar/Brown this series because Fisher cant stay with him

hotsizzle
05-31-2009, 03:23 PM
One thing is for sure, LA better be ready to rebound better than they have been. You dont want a team who shoots so many threes to get many 2nd chance buckets.

Kingwillball
05-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Werent you the same person saying the Lakers will get killed by the Nuggets in 6 games and how Jones and JR Smith can guard Kobe? What happened with that, how did it work out?

Comparing Pietrus to Battier is very comical. Before talking nonsense why dont you go and get some basketball knowledge instead of reading books on how to be a hater.:roll:

Magic will win the series..Kobe will not have the same impact as Lebron. That is all U need to know.

D-Rose
05-31-2009, 04:05 PM
Magic will win the series..Kobe will not have the same impact as Lebron. That is all U need to know.
That's actually a great thing because that means Kobe's teammates will show up unlike LeBrons teammates :oldlol:

All Net
05-31-2009, 04:08 PM

Yeah just like you said Jones, Smith and martin could guard Kobe..

Pietrus doesn't have any hope of stopping Kobe either...and please don't compare Pietrus defensively to Battier. Makes you look even more foolish.

BRabbiT
05-31-2009, 04:09 PM

LAL in 5.

Does Kobe want to have the same impact as Lebron? Not if that means losing to ORL.

All Net
05-31-2009, 04:09 PM

He won't need to, Kobe has guys like Gasol, Odom, Ariza who have played well...even Bynum could have a good series. He has gotten better as the playoffs have gone on.

hotsizzle
05-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Kobe is going to have his best series in these playoffs. My ass Pietrus and Lee will bother him much. Kobe already went through perhaps the best two perimeter defenders in Battier and Artest..and Battier is a guy that spends hours studying Kobe's tendencies and analyzing his shot charts.

I think th gameplan will be let Howard go one-on-one and stay home with the shooters. Just gotta hope Bynum brings his testicles.

RocketGreatness
05-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Kobe is going to have his best series in these playoffs. My ass Pietrus and Lee will bother him much. Kobe already went through perhaps the best two perimeter defenders in Battier and Artest..and Battier is a guy that spends hours studying Kobe's tendencies and analyzing his shot charts.

I think th gameplan will be let Howard go one-on-one and stay home with the shooters. Just gotta hope Bynum brings his testicles.
Agreed. Nobody guards Kobe better than Shane Battier does. Shane Battier always puts a hand in his face and is fundamentally the best perimeter defender in the league by a country mile.

Courtney Lee is a rookie, so I expect stage fright. Pietrus? He's a bone head type of player if you actually watch him play. He's like Lamar Odom, often times inconsistent but when he is consistent he's a heck of a player. Pietrus did a decent job checking LeBron, but as Reggie Miller said Kobe is a different beast.

I don't ever recall Pietrus ever shutting down Kobe when he was in the Warriors why is there talk now he'll shut him down now? Kobe is a slasher and an elite jump shooter. LeBron is primarily only a slasher, when he makes his jump shots he's the most unstoppable but that is one of his problems.

Also, Kobe has a lot more weapons than LeBron does. LeBron only has himself, Kobe has Pau Gasol, Trevor Ariza and Lamar Odom. If LeBron only had one teammate other person show up in the playoffs, The Cavs probably could've and should've won the series.

Daniel50
05-31-2009, 04:26 PM
I am very pumped up for this series

hotsizzle
05-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Only things that sucks is that we have to wait until Thursday

SoCalMike
05-31-2009, 04:43 PM
One thing is for sure, LA better be ready to rebound better than they have been. You dont want a team who shoots so many threes to get many 2nd chance buckets.

so who do you consider a more physical team... denver or orlando???

miniharrison37
05-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Lakers all the way!!

Butters
05-31-2009, 05:07 PM
I jumped on the Magic bandwagon as soon as they started against the LeBrons.

But,Lakers in 6 :cry:

Who's dwight thank when they lose?:confusedshrug:

cotdt
05-31-2009, 05:16 PM

denver by far

cotdt
05-31-2009, 05:22 PM

Kobe can drive, and has better crossover than Lebron. He just chooses not to, because he has a much better frontline than the Cavs do and he wants to conserve his energy for the close. Kobe owned Mr. Pietrus before, not even close to Mr. Battier.

SoCalMike
05-31-2009, 05:27 PM
denver by far

so is anyone concerned about the lakers getting out-muscled by the magic???

hotsizzle
05-31-2009, 05:28 PM

overall denver but dwight is a beast inside. have to be physical with him

hotsizzle
05-31-2009, 05:30 PM
so is anyone concerned about the lakers getting out-muscled by the magic???

im concerned about howard on the offensive boards. give the magic too many chances on the offensive end and they'll make you pay...have to limit the amount of their possessions

RocketGreatness
05-31-2009, 05:33 PM
overall denver but dwight is a beast inside. have to be physical with him
Yep, he's there only player that plays the boards, everybody else just shoots 3's.

Both Gasol And Bynum need to box him out, whether you double team him on the boards or not. I thought Lakers did a good job rebounding against the Nuggets against Chris Andersen, Kenyon Martin and Nene.

bleedinpurpleTwo
05-31-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm concerned about matchup issues, esp Lewis.
Gasol cannot go out to the 3pt line to defend Lewis.

So Phil Jackson has some tough decisions to make:
namely, start Bynum and Gasol, as usual, which will open up Lewis?
or start Gasol and Odom. send Odom to defend Lewis at the 3. Gasol on Howard, but that could result in foul trouble for Gasol.

should be interesting.

sipitri
05-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Hoping for Orlando to win, I couldn't stand kobe winning a ring.

mmsupra
05-31-2009, 06:02 PM
I think Ariza could be the x-factor as well as Pietrus for Orlando.

jbiirockets
05-31-2009, 06:05 PM
I like the Lakers in 6. Only because I think they can close out on the Magic's three point shooters. But if that doesn't happen, the Magic can win. Orlando must capitalize on their 3 point attempts.

Killbot
05-31-2009, 06:06 PM
I think Orlando takes it in 7.

crisoner
05-31-2009, 06:07 PM

The Thuggets of course. Magic play like the Suns two years back. But they play better dee.

TryToBeUnbias
05-31-2009, 06:13 PM

or start Gasol and Odom. send Odom to defend Lewis at the 3. Gasol on Howard, but that could result in foul trouble for Gasol.

should be interesting.

yes but you have to take into consideration the fact that lewis cant guard pau in the post either which may put him into foul trouble

Hiei
05-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Hoping for Orlando to win, I couldn't stand kobe winning a ring.

Yeah, because one person in the NBA who really deserves it would be terrible...

BMOGEFan
05-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Yeah, because one person in the NBA who really deserves it would be terrible...

Yea I agree Gasol deserves a ring.

Sonics4Life
05-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Lakers in 6

but Howard and Lewis both present tough matchups. Lewis has some post game too.

Fisher is too big for Alston. Pau is too good for Hedo/Lewis.

Laker4Lyfe
05-31-2009, 06:50 PM
Looks like the Magic are hoping to bring Jameer back for the finals. :eek::eek:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4219606

RocketGreatness
05-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Looks like the Magic are hoping to bring Jameer back for the finals. :eek::eek:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4219606
Ain't happening

But Magic general manager Otis Smith has repeatedly said there is no way Nelson could return this season.
Jameer also said last night that he was aiming to come back in Pre-season. It's not happening. Rep me rep you.

GMW
05-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Ain't happening

Jameer also said last night that he was aiming to come back in Pre-season. It's not happening. Rep me rep you.
seriously man... grow up.

vert48
05-31-2009, 07:49 PM
Ain't happening

Jameer also said last night that he was aiming to come back in Pre-season. It's not happening. Rep me rep you.WTF is wrong with you? Are you 10 years old? People keep telling you to knock off the rep crap, you then say your sorry, and start doing it again. Stop.

hotsizzle
05-31-2009, 08:13 PM

should be interesting.

I'll take Gasol-Lewis matchup easily. Lewis can take Gasol out on the perimeter all he wants, Gasol will abuse him on the block at a much more effecient rate.

Sriracha
05-31-2009, 08:19 PM
The Lakers basically have the championship in the bag. The advantage that the Magic have on other team doesn't apply to the Lakers. Gasol/Ariza/Odom/Kobe + wildcard is going to be too much for the Magic.

crisoner
05-31-2009, 09:57 PM
The Lakers basically have the championship in the bag. The advantage that the Magic have on other team doesn't apply to the Lakers. Gasol/Ariza/Odom/Kobe + wildcard is going to be too much for the Magic.

I'm hoping this is true and will carry out as so. Because the Magic can shoot the lights out any given day and steal a game or two.

KenneBell
05-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Because the Magic can shoot the lights out any given day and steal a game or two..
...or three or four. The Magic are a dangerous team man. I'm confident in the Lakers but the Magic just have a weird combo of players that really messes with matchups.

RocketGreatness
05-31-2009, 10:13 PM
I'll take Gasol-Lewis matchup easily. Lewis can take Gasol out on the perimeter all he wants, Gasol will abuse him on the block at a much more effecient rate.
Well said, Last year Gasol had to go up against Kevin Garnett and Kendrick Perkins and then there was Big Baby and Leon Powe off the bench. That was just too much for Pau so he shrunk in the spotlight. I expect this time for Pau to shine in the spotlight.

Even as the game ends, Pau should be able to take out Howard as well. Pau needs to use his face up against him just like he did against Yao in the Rockets-Lakers series for the 1st 3 games. Rashard Lewis is no Chuck Hayes, Luis Scola or Carl Landry so Gasol will have to and should dominate this series.

The Magic spot up shooting 3 days are over, their best bet is the pick n roll, that's what Kenny Smith said last night on TNT. Lakers have too many weapons in my opinion than the Magic, both teams are good on the road though so HCA shouldn't be THAT much of a factor.

momo
05-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Many good thoughts/posts here, but it seems like much of it has to do with what the lakers have to deal with defending the magic.

What are the magic going to have to do defending the lakers?

Kingwillball
05-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Funny how Laker fans thing Pau is gonna outplay Howard..not happening.. Pau is a nice Player Howard is a BEAST !!!! Howard will own the paint and make the Lakers a jump shooting team for the most part.

Kingwillball
05-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Many good thoughts/posts here, but it seems like much of it has to do with what the lakers have to deal with defending the magic.

What are the magic going to have to do defending the lakers?

Well Magic prepared for Lakers by having to contend with the best player on the Planet last series so they will be ready for Kobe. Now the Lakers do have a post player that the Cavs didn't have in Pau but Howrd will make Gasols life difficult getting clean looks down low so he may have to start his offense a few feet further out unless Howard is in foul trouble the inside will be controlled by the Magic.

RocketGreatness
05-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Funny how Laker fans thing Pau is gonna outplay Howard..not happening.. Pau is a nice Player Howard is a BEAST !!!! Howard will own the paint and make the Lakers a jump shooting team for the most part.
Pau is not going up against Howard again. Gasol plays power forward which would mean he's going up against Rashard Lewis.

Well Magic prepared for Lakers by having to contend with the best player on the Planet last series so they will be ready for Kobe. Now the Lakers do have a post player that the Cavs didn't have in Pau but Howrd will make Gasols life difficult getting clean looks down low so he may have to start his offense a few feet further out unless Howard is in foul trouble the inside will be controlled by the Magic.
Kobe is a different beast than LeBron, so that is not relevant by any means. Also, Kobe actually has a team while LeBron doesn't. How is Howard going to make Gasol's life difficult? Howard is not a very good 1 on 1 post defender, he's an amazing shot blocker though, but his post defense is just average. He's similar to Marcus Camby on defense.

Basketman
05-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Lakers in 6 or 7.

Grinder
05-31-2009, 11:28 PM
My matchup analysis:

People always say the way Magic play defense is not winning basketball due to their reliance on the three ball, however many tend to overlook the incredible amount of mismatches they create and their excellent defense. Sure the Magic rely on the three ball to fall, however if anyone can do it, it's the Magic, just take a look of the capable three point shooters they have in their rotation - Alston, Lee, Turkoglu, Lewis, Pietrus, and Redick give you six solid guys to make the three. Let's look at the matchups:

Alston - Fisher: Fisher's got a ton of playoff experience, but as evidenced this year, his best years are behind him and he's largely turned into a streaky catch and shoot guy. Alston plays better defense, gets into the lane more often and this year his jump shot is not that much worse than Fisher's.
Advantage: Magic

Lee - Bryant: No need to go into detail here because we all know who has the advantage here, although Lee's rugged and pesky brand of defense could give Bryant trouble. Lee played Dwayne Wade better than any player I saw all year and we saw how he blanketed Eddie House and took away his perimeter game in the Celtics series.
Advantage: Lakers

Turkoglu - Ariza: Ariza is a good three point shooter, can finish in transition and plays good defense, however he's not nearly the player Hedo is. Hedo can handle like a guard, has a better jumper, gets into the lane at will, is a better passer, and isn't a bad defender.
Advantage: Turkoglu

Lewis - Odom: I know Pau starts at the four, but this is the matchup we're going to see most of the series. Both guys are tall combo forwards with intriguing skill sets. Odom is a better inside player, rebounder, and ball handler, while Lewis is a complete offensive package and has a vastly superior perimeter game. I'll call this matchup a push.
Advantage: Neither

Howard - Gasol: The best low post scorer in the game meets the defensive player of the year and probably the best center in the league. I know Bynum will start on Howard but he'll probably end up in foul trouble within minutes so this will be the primary matchup. Pau's length and and amazing post game will give Dwight trouble but on the other end Dwight's physique and rugged, tough interior game could expose the "soft" label that has plagued Pau since he's been a Laker.
Advantage: Magic

Benches: Anthony Johnson against Jordan Farmer and Shannon Brown is a good equal showdown between guys who can knock down the open three and execute their team's sets. Pietrus enjoys the clear advantage against a streaky Sasha Vujacic and if he's as big a factor as he was against Cleveland, he could prove to be the x-factor for the Magic in this series. Marcin Gortat will likely clash with Andrew Bynum and while this might seem like a clear advantage for the Lakers, I wouldn't be so sure. Gortat is a tough guy that can finish, block shots, and is quite frankly one of the best backup centers in the league.
Advantage: Magic (slightly)

While the Magic might enjoy more matchup advantages, the Lakers posess the largest of all with Kobe Bryant. I don't think Kobe will be enough and I think we'll see an upset with the Magic taking it in 7.

poido123
05-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Pietrus will limit Kobe's output but wont stop him-however I think he will limit him enough to get Magic over the line...If anyone watched Howard during the finals series, they will know that the lakers frontline cannot contain Howard...Something I noticed in the Cavs series that Howard is using newfound low post moves that im sure ewing has had a lot to do with...I also think Howard is timing the allyoops well too, with these two improvements, Lakers cannot limit Howard enough to win this series...Only thing that I could see happening is Lakers resorting to dirty tactics-come forward KOBE BRYANT...All ive got to say is Howard, wear a helmet! :wink: :pimp:

justin43
05-31-2009, 11:35 PM
Pietrus will limit Kobe's output but wont stop him-however I think he will limit him enough to get Magic over the line...If anyone watched Howard during the finals series, they will know that the lakers frontline cannot contain Howard...Something I noticed in the Cavs series that Howard is using newfound low post moves that im sure ewing has had a lot to do with...I also think Howard is timing the allyoops well too, with these two improvements, Lakers cannot limit Howard enough to win this series...Only thing that I could see happening is Lakers resorting to dirty tactics-come forward KOBE BRYANT...All ive got to say is Howard, wear a helmet! :wink: :pimp:

We also forgetting that Dwight and the rest of the frontcourt can't handle Gasol, Odom, Ariza, and Bryant slashing into the lane either. Dwight will get in foul trouble, which will destroy a good portion of the rebounding ability of the Magic. No 2nd chance shooting leads to the three becoming a double edge sword. The key to this series is to limit Dwight's minutes on the floor, which I think the Lakers can accomplish.

However, the Magic are a threat and can pull the upset.

greymatter
05-31-2009, 11:52 PM

Doesn't matter what they showed. If you don't have personel with similar talents, it's stupid to try using the same game plan. Perkins and Davis can match up physically because they actually had the bulk and strength to push Howard away from the basket. Bynum is similar in size, but lacks the strength. Gasol is too scrawny, soft, and faggy looking to be any use guarding him.

http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/1995_Braveheart/Thumb/995BVH_Peter_Hanly_001.jpg
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/01/09/pau_gasol_2.jpg

poido123
06-01-2009, 12:00 AM
Doesn't matter what they showed. If you don't have personel with similar talents, it's stupid to try using the same game plan. Perkins and Davis can match up physically because they actually had the bulk and strength to push Howard away from the basket. Bynum is similar in size, but lacks the strength. Gasol is too scrawny, soft, and faggy looking to be any use guarding him.

http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/1995_Braveheart/Thumb/995BVH_Peter_Hanly_001.jpg
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/01/09/pau_gasol_2.jpg

:roll: :roll: :roll: One of my favourites!!!!

poido123
06-01-2009, 12:03 AM
We also forgetting that Dwight and the rest of the frontcourt can't handle Gasol, Odom, Ariza, and Bryant slashing into the lane either. Dwight will get in foul trouble, which will destroy a good portion of the rebounding ability of the Magic. No 2nd chance shooting leads to the three becoming a double edge sword. The key to this series is to limit Dwight's minutes on the floor, which I think the Lakers can accomplish.

However, the Magic are a threat and can pull the upset.

I failed to mention the rest of the Lakers as I feel that both teams pretty much neutralise each other, but I think the difference will be Pietrus limiting Kobe to Howard getting little resistance down low...I think the magic are now starting to work out how to play to their strengths better, which they didnt do well last year at all...Should be a great series though, my team the Bulls are already out sadly :pimp:

schism206
06-01-2009, 12:29 AM
I think one of the biggest keys for the magic is staying out of foul trouble. if dwight can stay on the floor, and even peitrus (he's played very well) who picked up a lot of fouls on lebron, and when he goes out theres not many other magic players that could slow him down. but since kobe isnt as big as lebron someone like lee could guard him as well, and hopefully slow him down a little.

lee and pietrus are both pretty young, even though Kobe will get his share of points, hopefully they can tire him out a bit in the process.

luckily the refs call less bailout calls for Kobe nowadays compared to Lebron so that might be a nice break for the Magic depending on how they want to call it in the finals.

odom and lewis will be an interesting matchup. lewis will do a good job of keeping bigger guys out on the perimeter which will take away from some help defense... but will he be able to guard odom ?

I also wonder, if ariza guards turkoglu will he be able to get to the rim ? he could probably post him up better but how turk fares against some good defenders will be an important factor.

or would ariza guard lewis and odom guard turk ?

i have a feeling the lakers will end up winning this one, but im gonna pick the Magic in 6 because I would much rather see a team that has never won a championship finally get one, and I like their team. They are also the underdog, and that I feel can be used to their benefit, and they've played in some really close and decisive games and won most of them. They have numerous players who can hit the big shots as opposed to just 1 guy... Lebron or Kobe. But if the 3 ball can fall for them in more than half of the games, they can a good shot. Hopefully they don't dig any holes early, which they are known for... they certainly can come back, and the lakers have let some leads go, but you don't want to rely on that every game.

Looking forward to it.

RoseCity07
06-01-2009, 02:41 AM
Magic in 5 or 6.

XxSMSxX
06-01-2009, 02:56 AM

What?

markymark
06-01-2009, 05:34 AM
IMO Bynum still won't be getting much burn in this series. Against Houston, it was mostly Gasol who was matched up against Yao. Dunno why, but Bynum's not turning out to be the force everyone was expecting him to be

KOLBCTEW
06-01-2009, 05:40 AM
Orlando Magic in 6..

Bond007
06-01-2009, 07:26 AM
Seems like the lakers are the underdogs here in ISH:D

InspiredLebowski
06-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Think about it InsidePoops. We're 4 wins away from hearing the eternal phrase "JJ Reddick, NBA champion."

Torious
06-01-2009, 07:34 AM
IMO Bynum still won't be getting much burn in this series. Against Houston, it was mostly Gasol who was matched up against Yao. Dunno why, but Bynum's not turning out to be the force everyone was expecting him to be

He came back from a knee injury mere days before the playoffs started. He started to put up excellent numbers before Kobe fell on his knee, but you can't really expect him to come back and pick up where he left off. Considering this, he's doing well.

The first few games he was out of synch, often in the wrong place at the wrong time, but his positioning is getting better and better and when he gets into foul trouble it's often because others (like Gasol) are out of position on D to prevent an easy two. I think he's got the strength and quickness to keep Howard away from the basket 1-on-1 and if Howard has to resort to his terrible jump hook LA has the advantage.

Still, Orlando is the team I didn't want to see the Lakers up against.. their teriffic 3-point shooting makes them the most dangerous team in the NBA IMO.

Sportspolymath
06-01-2009, 09:04 AM
One of the keys to the series is winning the key match ups. Listed below are the ones that are paramount to victory.

http://sportspolymath.typepad.com/sportspolymath/2009/05/the-key-matchup-for-thje-lakers-and-magic.html

All Net
06-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Seems like the lakers are the underdogs here in ISH:D

Not really, most here expect L.A to win but simply don't want them to....

KOBEfan85
06-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Of course people don't want the Lakers to win! I've traveled around the country and I found that everyone seems to hates on L.A. Why is that? In my opinion, the Lakers have more talent and WAY more experience than the Orlando Magic. In all fields including both playoff and finals experience. it will be a close one but the Lakers will be victorious in the end.

Automajic23
06-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Of course people don't want the Lakers to win! I've traveled around the country and I found that everyone seems to hates on L.A. Why is that? In my opinion, the Lakers have more talent and WAY more experience than the Orlando Magic. In all fields including both playoff and finals experience. it will be a close one but the Lakers will be victorious in the end.

It's because a good chunk of lakers fans are d!ckheads. A good chunk of Cavs/Lebron fans are d!ckheads too and that's why a lot of people hate the cavs/Lebron and want Lebron to lose so they can say hateful things. Fans are making judgements more and more off of other fans... lol.

I would love to see an inside out 3pt shooting team win. Just because it's the offensive style I play with my teams, via we never have an effective big man in any league.

Tha Catalyst
06-01-2009, 10:51 AM
What?

What are you surprised about? There is no doubt Gasol and Odom are faster than dwight. Don't think that dwights vertical and raw power make him quick. You would never see Howard running the floor like gasol and lamar can. I don't think the lakers have that much more talent to be honest and this series could come down to little things like coaching, which is where i see the biggest advantage. I honestly believe Phil is the lakers biggest weapon after Kobe. This could go either way but its gonna take at least 6 games. Can't wait!

truethat23
06-01-2009, 11:05 AM
I expect the Orlando Magic to try to expose the matchup between Hedo and Pau on offense by luring Pau out to the perimeter. I see Hedo trying to do more to beat him off the dribble. Expect to see Lamor Odom a lot more.He is really going to have to bring it this series. I think he's the ultimate ex-factor to the Laker's winning this series and the NBA championship. He can't slack a minute like he has in previous series.

The Lakers do matchup pretty well with Orlando; way better than Cleveland did. Unlike Cleveland, who had a bunch of undersized perimeter players guarding 3-point shooters like Peitrus, Lewis, Turk, and Alston, the Lakers have height and length on defense and will make it more challeging for Orlando's shooters to get clear looks. Look for Kobe, Ariza, and Odom to use that to their advantage on defense. Dwight Howard? You can only hope to contain him. He's a matchup problem for most teams in the league right now.

chains5000
06-01-2009, 11:07 AM
I expect the Orlando Magic to try to expose the matchup between Hedo and Pau on offense by luring Pau out to the perimeter. I see Hedo trying to do more to beat him off the dribble. Expect to see Lamor Odom a lot more.He is really going to have to bring it this series. I think he's the ultimate ex-factor to the Laker's winning this series and the NBA championship. He can't slack a minute like he has in previous series.
If I was Phil Jackson, I'd start Odom at the PF as he's better fit to cover Hedo or Lewis, and that way he can use both Pau and Bynum to try stopping Howard.

LaneO
06-01-2009, 11:16 AM
It's because a good chunk of lakers fans are d!ckheads. A good chunk of Cavs/Lebron fans are d!ckheads too and that's why a lot of people hate the cavs/Lebron and want Lebron to lose so they can say hateful things. Fans are making judgements more and more off of other fans... lol.

I would love to see an inside out 3pt shooting team win. Just because it's the offensive style I play with my teams, via we never have an effective big man in any league.

Every team has idiotic/a-hole fans. No matter if they are a good team or crap, that's just the way it is. I'm a big laker fan, but I am reserved. Yeah, I like them to win, but I dont judge others if they like other teams or root for somebody else. Come to think of it, it is fun to talk trash, but it's all joking with my friends and I. Some people take it too far. When it comes to winning Here's how i see it. Lakers win...or lose. i still have to go to work tomorrow, it really wont change my life, but it would be nice :)

glidedrxlr22
06-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Orlando in 6. I predicted correctly the last two Lakers finals trips.

KenneBell
06-01-2009, 11:45 AM
You also predicted that the Lakers would lose in almost every game this season. :roll:

glidedrxlr22
06-01-2009, 11:49 AM
You also predicted that the Lakers would lose in almost every game this season. :roll:

Finals predictions involve money. :pimp:

STelfair31
06-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Magic to win it, not sure on the games needed to do it, but they can. I feel they are a little deeper and more consistent than LA.

All Net
06-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Magic to win it, not sure on the games needed to do it, but they can. I feel they are a little deeper and more consistent than LA.

They aren't really more consistant at all, if they were they wouldn't of had problem winning back to back games all post season long..both teams havn't exactly being more consistant than the other.

I expect this series to go

Game 1- Lakers win
Game 2-Lakers win
Game 3- Magic win
Game 4- Lakers win
Game 5- Magic win
Game 6- Lakers win

glidedrxlr22
06-01-2009, 01:03 PM
This is how I see it:

game 1- Orlando
game 2- LA
game 3- Orlando
game 4- Orlando
game 5- LA
game 6- Orlando

Mark my words. Orlando's 3 point shooting will devastate the Lakers.

1_BAD_TIGER
06-01-2009, 01:44 PM
through the motions at times. Will the Magic continue there great shooting from 3 point land? Most people thing when the Lakers put it all together there unbeatable, but if the Magic are hitting 3's and Howard is playing well they are hard to beat as well. Howard against the Lakers big men will be interesting; I think LA should use Bynum and all 6 of his fouls to keep Gasul out of foul trouble. How does Orlando handle Kobe? I say let Kobe get his and try to contain the rest of the Laker players, it might work in some of the games. The more I think about this series the more I think it will be a good one. My guess Lakers in 7.

D-Rose
06-01-2009, 01:46 PM
through the motions at times. Will the Magic continue there great shooting from 3 point land? Most people thing when the Lakers put it all together there unbeatable, but if the Magic are hitting 3's and Howard is playing well they are hard to beat as well. Howard against the Lakers big men will be interesting; I think LA should use Bynum and all 6 of his fouls to keep Gasul out of foul trouble. How does Orlando handle Kobe? I say let Kobe get his and try to contain the rest of the Laker players, it might work in some of the games. The more I think about this series the more I think it will be a good one. My guess Lakers in 7.
Kobe and Gasol will get theirs no matter what. The Magic have no one that can guard Gasol if they put Dwight on Bynum. and if they switch Dwight to Gasol, Bynum would annhilate Shard in the paint.

1_BAD_TIGER
06-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Kobe and Gasol will get theirs no matter what. The Magic have no one that can guard Gasol if they put Dwight on Bynum. and if they switch Dwight to Gasol, Bynum would annhilate Shard in the paint.

I think you right. The Magic has to continue to hit threes and hope the Laker roll players take some games off like they did against the Nuggets. Kobe will get his and Gasol will be a problem as will Howard be for the Lakers. I'm guessing Ariza will cover Lewis, with Kobe on Turk? Man I think this will be a good series!

misfitfan1985
06-01-2009, 02:05 PM
I really want to see how Rashard Lewis is going to handle himself now that Dwight will not be able to move as easily in the post.
If he can move well without the ball I think he may end up being one of those guys who can make the difference

And yes, I realize Kobe and Dwight will dictate the series, I just think that if Rashard can take advantage of the size advantage he'll have and use the open floor it will be a huge asset to the Magic

funny thing on lebron-kobe matchup too
http://popcornmuscles.com/2009/06/lebro/

crisoner
06-01-2009, 02:07 PM
This series should be a real good one.
Kobe is going to really have to man up his troops to beat the Magic.
Can't wait for game 1 on Thursday.

GO LAKES!!!!!

truethat23
06-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Lakers 2009 NBA Champions

Game 1) Lakers
Game 2) Magic
Game 3) Lakers
Game 4) Magic
Game 5) Lakers
Game 6) Lakers

glidedrxlr22
06-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Have the ESPN analysts given their predictions?

The_Yearning
06-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Orl in 6. Book it chumps.

D-Rose
06-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Have the ESPN analysts given their predictions?
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/matchup/_/teams/magic-lakers

9/10 picked LA.

jumptrainer
06-01-2009, 02:36 PM
I had no faith in the Magic going into the playoffs because of their reliance on the 3 ball, often times stagnant offense, and lack of mental toughness. But those things have disappeared since the 1st round. Well they still shoot a lot of 3s but they're making them. A month ago i would have said Lakers in 5, but now I think this could go to game 7. can't wait for thursday.

Daniel50
06-01-2009, 02:42 PM
I am looking forward to the Andrew Bynum v Dwight Howard matchup

1_BAD_TIGER
06-01-2009, 02:55 PM
I am looking forward to the Andrew Bynum v Dwight Howard matchup

Might be a rough one for Bynum.

D-Rose
06-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Magic will have trouble with Kobe, he had 41 in the first game and a rare triple double in the second game.

crisoner
06-01-2009, 03:40 PM
This is how I see it:

game 1- Orlando
game 2- LA
game 3- Orlando
game 4- Orlando
game 5- LA
game 6- Orlando

YES!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU glide!!!!!! You are our freaking good luck charm!!! Right on time and very predictable!!!!

GO LAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW Lakers in 6 everything will happen opposite of what glide just wrote as usual!!!

chains5000
06-01-2009, 03:42 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/matchup/_/teams/magic-lakers

9/10 picked LA.
Isn't the guy who picked Orlando the same one who picked Boston last year?
EDIT: he isn't

Huey Freeman
06-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Isn't the guy who picked Orlando the same one who picked Boston last year?
EDIT: he isn't
Yeah, it was Legler instead last year that picked Boston.

cured
06-01-2009, 04:17 PM
I'd start Odom over Bynum, initially. Pau has the tools to get Dwight in foul trouble just as Dwight has the tools to do the same to Pau. Dwight dominated Bynum, at least going by the stat-sheet. Bynum had 5 fouls in 12 minutes in one of their games, IIRC.

It's be a mistake to put two bigs out there for LA. Orlando will have 4 shooters on the floor and the rotations will tire out the team.

I'd put Fish (I don't want him to start but he will) on Alston
Ariza on Lewis
Odom on Turkeyglue
Kobe on Lee/Pietrus
Gasol/Bynum on Howard

Odom (if "good" Odom shows up) can bang around with Lewis on Lakers offensive possessions and shouldn't have a problem keeping him off the boards, either. He is the key to the series, no question in my mind.

All Net
06-01-2009, 04:28 PM
This is how I see it:

game 1- Orlando
game 2- LA
game 3- Orlando
game 4- Orlando
game 5- LA
game 6- Orlando

Just like Kobe, Gasol and guys like Odom will devastate the Magic. The Magic are not winning twice in L.A...just isn't happening.

crisoner
06-01-2009, 04:30 PM
This series is going to be a good one.
I know I called the series for the Lakers in 6 but it really can go either way.
If the Magic shoot the lights out they are just to hard to beat and they are good to do that at least twice this series or more. And the Lakers have trouble with teams like this....gunna be a tough one for them even tougher then the Nuggets and Rockets series. I think if Phil makes the right adjustments and Kobe involves everyone and they all play on that 6 gear the Lakers will be fine.

Here is to a great series Magic fans. May the best team win!

:cheers:

Now let the SMACK BEGIN!!!!!

MUCK THE FAGIC!!!!!!

23ajay
06-01-2009, 04:31 PM
lakers in 6 because lakers have a better matchup with howard and the magics players have not felt the atmosphere of the nba finals

cured
06-01-2009, 04:32 PM
The Magic have been the best road team by a mile in the playoffs, though, and LA has looked pretty suspect, at times, at home. I think the Magic can easily take one, I just don't know if they will. It will definitely be interesting to see how they come out in game 1.

crisoner
06-01-2009, 04:36 PM
The Magic have been the best road team by a mile in the playoffs, though, and LA has looked pretty suspect, at times, at home. I think the Magic can easily take one, I just don't know if they will. It will definitely be interesting to see how they come out in game 1.

If Lakers take game one they will win the Finals.
Reason being.....Phil Jackson.

KobeRules24
06-01-2009, 04:47 PM
If Lakers take game one they will win the Finals.
Reason being.....Phil Jackson.

i agree, if we win the first game phil will find a way to win the series.

Joey Zaza
06-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Lakers win.

Over the last 20 yrs, the road team has won less than 25% of the Finals. 2-3-2 is just too cruel. Cannot expect to win Game 6 or 7 on the road, and winning 4 of 5 v. a terriffic team is just too hard.

D-Rose
06-01-2009, 07:12 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/

Look at the headline picture...Bynum looks way bigger than Dwight, is that distorted?

Someone make that into a pic that i can get a link to...will rep.

cotdt
06-01-2009, 07:27 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/

Look at the headline picture...Bynum looks way bigger than Dwight, is that distorted?

Someone make that into a pic that i can get a link to...will rep.

Yeah Bynum is 3 inches taller than Dwight:

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9982/nbagdwightts1288v.jpg

Kobe is 4 feet taller:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1456/kobedunkshoward.jpg

23ajay
06-01-2009, 08:24 PM
lakers in six because this magic does not have a whole lot of experince in the nba finals

Kevin_Garnett_5
06-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Orlando in 5.

crisoner
06-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Orlando in 5.

Wow that's a big stretch for you.
I'm so glad the Celtics are out.

AJ2k8
06-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Wow that's a big stretch for you.
I'm so glad the Celtics are out.
Orlando in 5 aint a bad pick, they steal one from us at home and then win their 3 at home... If the series goes to 6 or 7 i think lakers will have it.:cheers:

cotdt
06-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Orlando in 5 aint a bad pick, they steal one from us at home and then win their 3 at home... If the series goes to 6 or 7 i think lakers will have it.:cheers:

It's definitely possible, but these being the Top 2 road teams in the NBA, I don't think home court will even play a factor. It didn't play much of a factor in the Lakers-Nuggets and Magic-Cavs series.

trig
06-01-2009, 11:17 PM
I see a similar series like Cavs vs Magic. It will be close, but lakers will win most of the close games with their experience and kobe gasol.

lakers in a difficult 6. Might become easier if Bynum and/or Odom shows up

Tez62
06-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Game 1: LAL
Game 2: ORL
Game 3: ORL
Game 4: LAL
Game 5: ORL
Game 6: LAL
Game 7: LAL

EricGordon23
06-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Orlando in 7 If they keep shooting the 3 ball this well and there going in with tons of confidence.

lakerspng
06-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Lakers are not losing 2 games in a row, what to speak of 3.

Lakers in 6 only because of the home court scenario in the finals, otherwise I'd be picking the Lakers in 5.

Lakers
Lakers
Orlando
Lakers
Orlando
Lakers

markymark
06-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Think about it InsidePoops. We're 4 wins away from hearing the eternal phrase "JJ Reddick, NBA champion."

WTF, nothing can be worse than "Brian Scalabrine, NBA champion"

poido123
06-02-2009, 10:34 AM
lakers in 6 because lakers have a better matchup with howard and the magics players have not felt the atmosphere of the nba finals

Talk about learner's plates on a post...That has gotta be one of the most ridiculous opinions ive seen, lol on Lakers having a better matchup with Howard, think before you write something is the best advice I can give you...Howard will eat this team up inside...

chains5000
06-02-2009, 10:39 AM
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=202&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=6516154

KobeRules24
06-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Get ready magic fans

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2276/2312993571_07e5694b68_o.jpg

D-Rose
06-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Obama picks Lakers to win in 6 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-obama-basketball&prov=ap&type=lgns)

cured
06-02-2009, 07:53 PM
There ya go, Barack. I knew there was a reason I voted for ya ;)

crisoner
06-02-2009, 07:57 PM
There ya go, Barack. I knew there was a reason I voted for ya ;)

I second that!

He also picked the Steelers to win the Super Bowl!!!

Bush would probably pick the Magic.

XxSMSxX
06-02-2009, 08:07 PM
What are you surprised about? There is no doubt Gasol and Odom are faster than dwight. Don't think that dwights vertical and raw power make him quick. You would never see Howard running the floor like gasol and lamar can. I don't think the lakers have that much more talent to be honest and this series could come down to little things like coaching, which is where i see the biggest advantage. I honestly believe Phil is the lakers biggest weapon after Kobe. This could go either way but its gonna take at least 6 games. Can't wait!

Odom is faster yes, but i dont think Gasol is. You wouldn't see Howard running the floor like Gasol because Howard can't handle the ball like they can. Phil is a great coach and all, but SVG ain't no joke either. Should be great series regardless though.

All Net
06-02-2009, 08:14 PM
The general pick seems to be Lakers in 6 games, which will likely mean L.A dropping two of 3 in Orlando which is possible of course. Either that or the Lakers spilt the first two games in L.A but I honestly see Lakers winning both in L.A...can't seem them spilting in L.A for 3 series in a row.

Jorn444Lakers
06-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Get ready magic fans

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2276/2312993571_07e5694b68_o.jpg
GOAT posterize! lol

Laker Logic
06-02-2009, 11:54 PM
I think all the focus on how the Lakers will deal with Howard is a little overblown. He's definitely a force in the paint, but clearly has more of an impact defensively/rebounding wise. I know he's coming off of a 40-point game - but the fact is that Howard's not an offensive juggernaut, and I'd be surprised to see him have more than one game with 25+ points in the finals.

The Lakers are planning to play Howard straight up with Bynum, and despite the foul trouble Bynum had against him earlier in the season, the strategy makes a lot of sense. I'll concede right off the top that Bynum isn't fully healthy, and even when fully healthy isn't a match (yet) for Howard. But he doesn't need to match Howard's production, only limit him somewhat and chip away at Howard's overall impact with whatever he can contribute to counter. But defensively, I actually expect Bynum to do better than a lot of people are predicting. In the first three rounds of the playoffs, Bynum picked up a huge percentage of his fouls against penetrating guards and undersized, scrappy post players.

Going up against another true bigman, who plays like one, is much more in Bynum's comfort zone right now, since defending the post requires comparatively less explosion and lateral movement than chasing guards coming off of pick and rolls or being funneled to the paint by perimeter defenders. He should largely be able to hold his ground against Howard backing him down, and he's long enough (combined with Howard's offense being limited and predictable enough, that keeping his hands high and staying in front of Howard should be pretty effective...not to say that he's shutting Howard down, but I expect it will work well enough.

magi
06-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Game 1: LA by 5-6 points
Game 2: LA by 15-20 points
Game 3: Orlando by 15+ points
Game 4: LA by 2-3 points
Game 5: Orlando by 5-8 points
Game 6: LA by 15+ points

That is my prediction for the finals; I have been very accurate with my picks thus far.

The only series I got wrong so far in these playoffs was the Bulls/Celtics series, I picked Chicago in 6.

cotdt
06-03-2009, 05:18 AM
If Gasol has to guard Rashard Lewis near the 3-point mark, how is he supposed to rebound for the Lakers?

blacknapalm
06-03-2009, 06:12 AM
If Gasol has to guard Rashard Lewis near the 3-point mark, how is he supposed to rebound for the Lakers?

this is my biggest fear with that matchup, especially since bynum hasn't exactly been ripping down boards. odom needs to keep up his rebounding but on the other end gasol should pull howard away from the hoop to take his defensive presence away. so it has its pros/cons. i'd rather see kobe or ariza on rashard but let's see how it works.

momo
06-03-2009, 07:14 AM
The lakers dealing with Dwight is getting a lot of play here, but how are the magic going to deal with Kobe? It is not talked about that much. Also:

How are the Magic going to deal with being in the finals for the first time?

Sriracha
06-03-2009, 07:25 AM
The lakers dealing with Dwight is getting a lot of play here, but how are the magic going to deal with Kobe? It is not talked about that much. Also:

How are the Magic going to deal with being in the finals for the first time?

They're going to let Kobe do whatever he wants. The Magic all season have let Kobe/Lebron/Wade go off on them and try to stop the other. Kobe is going to have a monster series and no doubt playoff MVP.

Congrats to Kobe fan.

GUUS
06-03-2009, 07:49 AM
the two biggest teams in the league both with high powered offenses and medium level defenses-don't kid yourselves for a second, just cuz they shut down the cavs, Magic still play with two defensive liabilities in Hedo and Shard in the starting line up and Lakers are not a great defensive team. SHOULD BE EPIC SCOREFESTS GO LAKERS

LAKERS IN 7

also Pietrus, while he won't shut Kobe down, is extremely athletic and strong and a smart defender. He will do a good job on Kobe but Kobe will still go off.

InspiredLebowski
06-03-2009, 08:31 AM

I just realized the Lakers have Adam Morrison as well. Either JJ Reddick or Adam Morrison will have an NBA ring in a couple short weeks. Where's the haters now!?

illzskillz88
06-03-2009, 10:30 AM
I would be very happy if this series went all 7 anxiously awaiting this one!

glidedrxlr22
06-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I

KenneBell
06-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I’m seeing a lot of over-confidence from Laker fans. Are there any of you who are taking these finals seriously? Anyone legitimately worried about the Magic? I know, I know…you’re worried you’ll be thrown out of the cult….but someone speak up.
:roll:

If Lakers fans were over-confident they'd be suggesting a sweep. Most of the fans in here are saying in 6 or 7. Sounds realistic to me. No one is downplaying the Magic after seeing what they did to the Cavs.

cured
06-03-2009, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE=glidedrxlr22]I

mbell75
06-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Orlando has a great shot at winning this series. They have to be consistent with their shooting, though, as that's what will keep the Lakers off balance. If Howard stays out of foul trouble for at least 4 games, it helps their chances incredibly. I think that will be a storyline of the finals, though, since the lakers are going to attack him. No Howard on the court = Lakers attack the basket and Gasol feasts on the backup.

I'd be really surprised if Kobe doesn't attack the basket with the specific reason of going right at Howard and trying to collect easy fouls.

Yep, thats what Lebron should have been doing, among other things. The lack of baketball IQ and the inability to make adjustments in the last series shown by Brown and his coaching staff was just ridiculous. THAT was the COY? Phil will play Orlando MUCH smarter.

TheLastHero69
06-03-2009, 01:49 PM
God I hope Orlando wins.
Amen to that!!!

crisoner
06-03-2009, 01:51 PM
I’m seeing a lot of over-confidence from Laker fans. Are there any of you who are taking these finals seriously? Anyone legitimately worried about the Magic? I know, I know…you’re worried you’ll be thrown out of the cult….but someone speak up.

LOL

And you're not an over confidant Laker Hater?

LOL

You are our good luck charm my friend keep hating please.

crisoner
06-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Amen to that!!!

God don't like ugly.

Jesus is for the Lakers.

crisoner
06-03-2009, 01:52 PM
I just realized the Lakers have Adam Morrison as well. Either JJ Reddick or Adam Morrison will have an NBA ring in a couple short weeks. Where's the haters now!?

LOL
Ya know!!!!!

hall of fame
06-03-2009, 07:11 PM
We could make this complicated and discuss the “matchups” in detail and all that, but it’s simply not worth the time. There is no need for any of that.

I’ll make this as simple as I can for you:

If you believe anyone other than Kobe Bryant will be holding up the Finals MVP trophy after this series is over, you just don’t know much about hoops.

LA in 6.

visirale
06-03-2009, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=hall of fame]We could make this complicated and discuss the

laker4life310
06-03-2009, 09:20 PM
I think all the focus on how the Lakers will deal with Howard is a little overblown. He's definitely a force in the paint, but clearly has more of an impact defensively/rebounding wise. I know he's coming off of a 40-point game - but the fact is that Howard's not an offensive juggernaut, and I'd be surprised to see him have more than one game with 25+ points in the finals.

The Lakers are planning to play Howard straight up with Bynum, and despite the foul trouble Bynum had against him earlier in the season, the strategy makes a lot of sense. I'll concede right off the top that Bynum isn't fully healthy, and even when fully healthy isn't a match (yet) for Howard. But he doesn't need to match Howard's production, only limit him somewhat and chip away at Howard's overall impact with whatever he can contribute to counter. But defensively, I actually expect Bynum to do better than a lot of people are predicting. In the first three rounds of the playoffs, Bynum picked up a huge percentage of his fouls against penetrating guards and undersized, scrappy post players.

Going up against another true bigman, who plays like one, is much more in Bynum's comfort zone right now, since defending the post requires comparatively less explosion and lateral movement than chasing guards coming off of pick and rolls or being funneled to the paint by perimeter defenders. He should largely be able to hold his ground against Howard backing him down, and he's long enough (combined with Howard's offense being limited and predictable enough, that keeping his hands high and staying in front of Howard should be pretty effective...not to say that he's shutting Howard down, but I expect it will work well enough.

with bynum guarding howard, the magic team will constantly use the pick and roll with alston/turk along with howard to get keep bynum unbalanced on his feet while howard rolls and gets the ball to use his quickness to the basket. Plus, they'll have the perimeter players waiting outside for the ball to shoot.
This my friend, is the reason why howard is the deadly for the lakers. Not only on offense but on defense, because of his presence in the paint.

laker4life310
06-03-2009, 10:14 PM
i think gasol would be a better match to defend on howard. i have a feeling gasol will prove he will not be intimidated and change the so called soft image hes labeled after last years finals.

bynum is a lost cause. hes going to be in foul trouble and have a warm seat waiting for him on the bench. he will not be a factor in this series. basically, he lacks focus and heart right now and being stubborn by not playing any defense.

Laker4Lyfe
06-03-2009, 11:27 PM

:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Thank you!!! Now I feel much better. :oldlol::oldlol:

blacknapalm
06-04-2009, 12:47 AM
i think gasol would be a better match to defend on howard. i have a feeling gasol will prove he will not be intimidated and change the so called soft image hes labeled after last years finals.

bynum is a lost cause. hes going to be in foul trouble and have a warm seat waiting for him on the bench. he will not be a factor in this series. basically, he lacks focus and heart right now and being stubborn by not playing any defense.

i wouldn't say he's not trying on defense. i think it's a lack of confidence more than anything. he still hasn't regained his explosiveness either. oh well, if bynum gets a lot of fouls i won't mind too much, as long as they aren't really stupid fouls. AND 1's are gonna tick me off. lakers have enough big bodies to use up fouls on dwight and i hope they do. make dwight beat you at the line.

kobesabi
06-04-2009, 02:39 AM
Yeah, for sure the Lakers would have to start Bynum to stop Howard.
For 3 fouls in 3 min?

purple8gold
06-04-2009, 02:54 AM
How's the view from Kobe's sack?

visirale, if you don't have anything insightful to post, just don't. It's just dumb.

ZeN
06-04-2009, 06:45 AM
Bynum will be useful for a couple good hard fouls, and a big body to throw at Howard for some minutes in the first half, however much like in the past, Odom will be the recipient of most of the second half minutes.... And rightfully so, since he matches up better against Lewis than Gasol...

But that means that Pau should switch to 'attack mode' on offense, since Howard is gonna be eating him up, on the other side...

Torious
06-04-2009, 06:51 AM
But that means that Pau should switch to 'attack mode' on offense, since Howard is gonna be eating him up, on the other side... [/B]

Agreed, they need to get the ball to Pau a whole lot more then they did against Denver. If he attacks Howard, he'll foul out of more games then in the Cleveland series.

:hammertime: