PDA

View Full Version : Posterize's Pro Prospects

Posterize246
05-31-2009, 12:31 AM
I decided to make a thread in which I break down 1 player each day leading up to the draft. I'll discuss their abilities, their stock, what teams I see them fitting in with, what their best case/worst case scenarios are, and a comparison if possible. The guys I will not discuss are Brandon Jennings, Ricky Rubio, Gani Lawal, Marcus Thornton, and Omri Casspi, as well as any other international players because I know very little about them.

The players will be chosen at random and in no particular order. So to start it off...

http://sportsthisweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/44567187harden-copy.jpg

James Harden, SG, Arizona St.

James, put in the right situation, could be the player in the draft most ready to contribute now. A crafty lefty, Harden has an uncanny ability to get into the lane and to the free throw line whenever he pleases. His slashing ability tops out in this draft at his position by far and he has a way of finishing difficult shots around the basket. His passing from a 2 guard position is above average, though sometimes he can get into trouble if his drives to the bucket are cut off and the defense collapses on him, leading to a turnover.

Harden's biggest weakness as of now is shooting off of the dribble. When he receives the ball on the perimeter, his only options are to isolate and try to get to the bucket, catch and shoot, or pass. If his lane to the bucket is cut off in isolation chances are he's going to miss the jumper. Part of this could be because he doesn't get much elevation on his jumper, therefor barely getting it over his defenders hands.

The closest, and no not an exact comparison, that I can come to is Manu Ginobili. Both left handed, similar size, great driving ability to get to the basket and similar as stand-still shooters. What Manu has that Harden doesn't is mentioned above, the ability to shoot off the dribble. If Harden can develop this ability his offensive arsenal could be lethal.

Best Case Scenario: 21 ppg, 2nd option on a team
Worst Case Scenario: 6th Man
Stock: No higher than 3, no lower than 12
Best Fit Situations: Thunder (3), Raptors (9), Bobcats (12)

InspiredLebowski
05-31-2009, 02:43 AM
I still like Harden a lot as a player, but personally I've cooled on him a bit. As weak as this draft is, he's probably still a top 5 pick. But I'm not sure he'll ever be more than a quality 6th man, I really don't think his ceiling is much higher than what we've already seen from him. From a top 5 pick you're expecting a bonafide starter with ASG aspirations, and I don't think he'll ever give you that.

This is such an odd draft, we're going to look back on it in 5 or so years and wonder what the hell some teams were thinking letting Player X slip out of the lotto or taking Player Z at 6 (just an example Sota fans, no harm meant). It's all potential.

Posterize246
05-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Harden's probably one of the "safer" picks in the lottery. You know that when you draft him you're not getting that every year all-star, but you're not getting a scrub either. The guy can play. There are probably a good 12 teams he's capable of starting for as a rookie and contributing fine. I think at the worst he's a Delonte West type offensively. Not someone who completely stands out in the offense but gives you what you ask of him.

James' wingspan (6'11") is also key in helping him get swipes from his opponents. Could someday be a 2 steal per game guy. Personally I'd like to see him be Durant's sidekick, but I'm unsure if the Thunder would go that way (they could go big with Thabeet or if Rubio drops they won't pass on him). Toronto is also a good landing spot for him if he dropped.

Mr_Basketball#1
05-31-2009, 11:36 AM
I've noticed alot of guys don't know much about Thornton. There really is no spot on comparison for him but he kinda reminds me of Jannero Pargo and JR Smith. He's the type of guy you bring off the bench to get you buckets. He takes some wild shots that will make you scratch your head but when they fall all you can do is clap and hope he gets back on defense.

lukeridnour08
05-31-2009, 07:10 PM
People are forgetting that Harden was a better prospect then BRoy coming out of college, and he's 2 years younger.
2 years is a huge difference w/ players that young.

His game is fairly similar to Broys.

Posterize246
05-31-2009, 08:31 PM
Can anybody name a lefty that doesn't at least have a decent jumper?:confusedshrug: I don't even know any of my lefty friends that can't shoot. Just seems like it's something instinct with them.

Posterize246
05-31-2009, 09:40 PM
http://allhailuofl.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/terrence-williams1.jpg

Terrence has the most complete overall game with few weaknesses of any SG/SF in the draft. He's an Andre Iguodala clone. A jack of all trades type with the only thing holding him back is his outside jumpshot, which while still shaky has come a long way in his 4 years. In fact, him playing a full 4 years is what's holding his draft stock so low. This is one of those cases where I hate how the NBA teams become fascinated with players who have shown little (Derozan for example) over guys who have shown and all-around game like Williams.

Williams has the potential to be the guy on team who guards the opposing team's best wing player. He has plenty of size/quickness to guard any SG in the league, and the skill to guard certain smaller SF's. He's a guy who gets plenty of steals and gets out on the break to show his athleticism. Williams should top out as one of the best athletes in the draft.

In my opinion, he should be ranked higher in the draft than what most mocks show him at (in the early 20's) and would rank him well above fellow SG's Tyreke Evans, Wayne Ellington, Chase Budinger, and possibly Gerald Henderson. He ranks #1 from the position in passing, rebounding, and man-to-man defense IMO with shooting/ballhandling the only attributes he's not on top of the list.

The best situations for Williams are Chicago (16) or New Orleans (21), with NO being the best spot. The Hornets only have 1 SG/SF under 30 years old on the team (Julian Wright); ages are Rasual Butler (30), Peja (31), Posey (32), Peterson (31), Devin Brown (30). Terrence could form a great backcourt with Chris Paul and be his running mate in an up-tempo game, while also creating scoring opportunities for the Hornets shooters. His lack of shooting would be hidden with the Hornets good deep-ball threats.

To add to the Andre Iguodala comparison, here's the stats of each player from their last year in college...

Terrence Williams- 33.0 mpg|12.5 ppg|5.0 apg|8.6 rpg|2.3 spg
Andre Iguodala- 32 mpg|12.9 ppg|4.9 apg|8.4 rpg| (can't find Andre's steals, but as a 1.8 spg career # I assume it was a lot)

And their draft combine measurements...

Terrence Williams- 6'5

Quata
06-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Patty Mills!
Once this dude isnt in a position to carry his team and have a smart shot selection he could be a beast, hopefully Tony Parker v2. I mean at the olympics he got:
22pts in 24 mins vs Argentina
15pts in 25mins vs Iran
13pts in 17mins vs Lithuania
20pts in 29mins vs USA

InspiredLebowski
06-01-2009, 01:04 AM
I'm almost to the point where if none of the big names drop (Holiday, DeRozan, etc) to 13, I expect Indy to take Williams. I'd love to have the kid. With Marquis Daniels soon to depart, Dunleavy Jr on the shelf for who knows how long, there's not much depth at the wing at all. Williams can play right now in a backup role with the potential to blossom into a very good 6th man. Bird loves polished and experienced players, and I think it's going to be Williams, Maynor, or Blair.

Mr_Basketball#1
06-01-2009, 10:12 AM
I heard that the Hornets were selling there first round pick.

Posterize246
06-01-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm almost to the point where if none of the big names drop (Holiday, DeRozan, etc) to 13, I expect Indy to take Williams. I'd love to have the kid. With Marquis Daniels soon to depart, Dunleavy Jr on the shelf for who knows how long, there's not much depth at the wing at all. Williams can play right now in a backup role with the potential to blossom into a very good 6th man. Bird loves polished and experienced players, and I think it's going to be Williams, Maynor, or Blair.
I think it was the Pacers forum I posted in saying that T-Will would be good for them. But I forgot about Brandon Rush. What's going on with him? He had some great games (statistically) at the end of the year.

edit: It seems Williams is moving up some mocks. draftexpress now has him going to the Pacers

Posterize246
06-01-2009, 10:59 AM
I heard that the Hornets were selling there first round pick.
I heard that a couple weeks ago. Seems like they're old though, I'd keep it.

BayAreaSportz
06-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Harden, is probably the best all-around player in this draft. I think he'll have a huge impact in the league and will be a better pro than he was a college player. He reminds me a lot of Brandon Roy with this size and ability to even play point guard. Like Roy, Harden is sneaky with his quickness and athleticism as well. I think his best destination would be Washington where he can share ball handling duties with Arenas.

Posterize246
06-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Harden, is probably the best all-around player in this draft. I think he'll have a huge impact in the league and will be a better pro than he was a college player. He reminds me a lot of Brandon Roy with this size and ability to even play point guard. Like Roy, Harden is sneaky with his quickness and athleticism as well. I think his best destination would be Washington where he can share ball handling duties with Arenas.
Washington has Nick Young in place at SG. I'm assuming Washington goes big with Jordan Hill or Earl Clark since Antawn is getting old and Haywood is coming off injury.

wang4three
06-01-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm not particularly sold on Williams. I love his athleticism, am intrigued by his all around play...but as a player I think he doesn't seem to have that competitive spirit. He reminds me of a poor man's T-Mac, a guy who has the talent to be way more than he is, but is content in doing just what he's asked to do. I just think he could be an Eddie Jones good type player, but instead I think he'll end up just being a glue guy instead.

Posterize246
06-01-2009, 02:38 PM
http://photos.masslive.com/photos/republican/803ffc06f0156efa430d62f630c7c9a9.jpg

Dionte Christmas, SG, Temple

The guy I know the most about in the draft, and yes this will be longer than any other player's review. I actually believed he was a little shorter but he measured out well for a 2 guard at the pre-draft measurements (6'4

dak121
06-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Christmas' background as a player looks pretty similar to Michael Redd's. Wouldn't suprise me at all to see him end up as a better NBA player than most of the SGs picked in the 1st round.

Maybe I value shooting too much but I just don't like Henderson/T. Williams that much for that one specific reason, especially Williams. Seems like the guy is scared to shoot the ball.

InspiredLebowski
06-01-2009, 03:54 PM
I think it was the Pacers forum I posted in saying that T-Will would be good for them. But I forgot about Brandon Rush. What's going on with him? He had some great games (statistically) at the end of the year.

edit: It seems Williams is moving up some mocks. draftexpress now has him going to the Pacers
Back in Kansas working out, specifically his ball handling. He's up and down as a player, can take himself out of games when his shot isn't falling, but when it is he can be a force. Has confidence problems in short.

I've seen mentions of Williams having potential character problems, but can't find anything that's specific. Anyone know much about that? Just poor interviews or what?

Also, I've read that Indy wants Tyreke Evans fairly bad. With DC willing to move their pick, I could see a swap brewing. What it would entail, I have no clue. But it's possible.

Posterize246
06-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Back in Kansas working out, specifically his ball handling. He's up and down as a player, can take himself out of games when his shot isn't falling, but when it is he can be a force. Has confidence problems in short.

I've seen mentions of Williams having potential character problems, but can't find anything that's specific. Anyone know much about that? Just poor interviews or what?

Also, I've read that Indy wants Tyreke Evans fairly bad. With DC willing to move their pick, I could see a swap brewing. What it would entail, I have no clue. But it's possible.
What's O'Brien's contract look like now?

InspiredLebowski
06-01-2009, 10:08 PM
What's O'Brien's contract look like now?

Final year this season. Short of a 50 win season I don't see him coming back. Seems like he and Bird don't see eye to eye on certain things. Dick Harter's more or less the defensive coordinator but Bird doesn't think Obie's giving him say in the system. That and it seems like they both knew O'Brien was just a transitional coach to help with the housecleaning process, neither had any real long term aspirations.

Posterize246
06-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Final year this season. Short of a 50 win season I don't see him coming back. Seems like he and Bird don't see eye to eye on certain things. Dick Harter's more or less the defensive coordinator but Bird doesn't think Obie's giving him say in the system. That and it seems like they both knew O'Brien was just a transitional coach to help with the housecleaning process, neither had any real long term aspirations.
That's the same way Philly used him, transition. He inherited a 33 win team, turned them into a 43 win team in his only season, and was fired because the hometown favorite Mo Cheeks became available. Always had a soft spot for JOB after that because I didn't think he got the respect he deserved.

Posterize246
06-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Christmas' background as a player looks pretty similar to Michael Redd's. Wouldn't suprise me at all to see him end up as a better NBA player than most of the SGs picked in the 1st round.

Maybe I value shooting too much but I just don't like Henderson/T. Williams that much for that one specific reason, especially Williams. Seems like the guy is scared to shoot the ball.
Redd had the advantage of learning behind a HOF guy in Ray Allen. Had to have helped him somewhat.

I'd take Dionte before I took Chase Budinger and Toney Douglas. I don't know enough about Marcus Thornton or Jermaine Taylor to say anything about them.

Posterize246
06-02-2009, 03:53 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01f8etm1jB4Fz/340x.jpg

James Johnson, F, Wake Forest

I really, really like this kid. Has a great all-around game as a small forward and is built like a tank, just pure muscle. But his size doesn't slow him down in the full court as he has great end to end speed. His size, strength, and speed is what makes him so intriguing. Measured a near 6'8

dak121
06-02-2009, 04:33 PM
I can see Johnson as a PF in the Diaw/Rodney Rogers mold. He has good perimeter skills but he's 250 lbs. That kind of size needs to be in the post.

I would love to see the Bulls draft either him or Hansbrough at #16. I can see both of them beating out Thomas for the starting PF job eventually.

Grinder
06-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Singletary was traded to the Bobcats, Dragic hasn't played all that well when given meaningful minutes and Barbosa is more of a two guard anyway. I think the Suns will go with a point guard unless someone like Earl Clark falls to them.

Posterize246
06-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Singletary was traded to the Bobcats, Dragic hasn't played all that well when given meaningful minutes and Barbosa is more of a two guard anyway. I think the Suns will go with a point guard unless someone like Earl Clark falls to them.
Yeah Barbosa is more of a shoot first guy, but he can handle the ball. Who's going to fill in at SF? Dudley? Add in the fact that you can't always count on Grant's health. Earl Clark is another guy that could go there if he fell, but if Clark is gone and Johnson is there I see JJ in their future.

Snoop_Cat
06-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Could you do one on Evans and DeRozan

Posterize246
06-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Could you do one on Evans and DeRozan
I'll do one on Evans for sure. My post on Derozan will probably be short though.

Posterize246
06-03-2009, 03:04 PM
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/stories/2007/nov/12/dayepic12_11-12-2007_I4C0AG5.jpg

Austin Daye, F, Gonzaga

One of the players in the draft who I don't really expect to live up to a lot of the hype he's been given. Tested extremely poor in the predraft measurements. Was only 192 lbs despite his 6'10” frame, weighing even less than PG's Jonny Flynn and Ty Lawson. Showed off an extremely poor max vert (28.0 inches), was unable to bench 185 lbs even one time, finished 2nd to Jordan Hill in the agility drill, and dead last in the

The Big Skinny
06-03-2009, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=Posterize246]http://www.spokesmanreview.com/stories/2007/nov/12/dayepic12_11-12-2007_I4C0AG5.jpg

Austin Daye, F, Gonzaga

One of the players in the draft who I don't really expect to live up to a lot of the hype he's been given. Tested extremely poor in the predraft measurements. Was only 192 lbs despite his 6'10

The Big Skinny
06-03-2009, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=Posterize246]http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01f8etm1jB4Fz/340x.jpg

I really, really like this kid. Has a great all-around game as a small forward and is built like a tank, just pure muscle. But his size doesn't slow him down in the full court as he has great end to end speed. His size, strength, and speed is what makes him so intriguing. Measured a near 6'8

Posterize246
06-03-2009, 08:24 PM
anybody disagree with anything I've said?

wang4three
06-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Austin Daye is Josh Duncan part 2.

Posterize246
06-03-2009, 10:53 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/kevin_armstrong/04/16/commitment.0416/usa.jpg

Tyreke Evans, SG, Memphis

Tyreke is only 2nd to James Harden in this draft in slashing ability/getting to the rim. He has great footwork when driving and has an unstoppable spin move to his right hand when he gets into the paint. The only problem with his finishing ability is that he never is able to finish with his left hand. I thought when he did this in high school that he would be able to get rid of the habit, but it never stopped at Memphis. Every drive to the basket is either started with his right hand on the drive and finished with his right hand (correctly), a drive with his left and that special spin move back to his right hand (hard to stop), or a drive with his left and a difficult, off-the-wrong-foot finish with his right hand. He's going to have to fix this.

Evans is NOT a point guard at the next level. But he is very capable of sharing ball handling duties. He doesn't have great vision and struggles running any kind of pick n' roll, but when attacking the basket he has some of the best

noob cake
06-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Gerald Henderson request

Posterize246
06-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Gerald Henderson request
Soon. I think I'm doing Teague next.

The Big Skinny
06-03-2009, 11:45 PM
I like this thread a lot....but all it does is make me wonder who my wiz will get... :rant

E. Maynor Request?

Posterize246
06-03-2009, 11:50 PM
I like this thread a lot....but all it does is make me wonder who my wiz will get... :rant
I would expect them to take Jordan Hill or trade the pick. So much Harden talk but Nick Young is still young and promising at the position. PG and SF aren't needs. Jamison is up there in age and Haywood is coming off of injury. Etan Thomas is always a concern to be injured. Blatche is really the only guy out of the bigs who is a part of the future. So yeah...Hill or a trade down.

The Big Skinny
06-04-2009, 12:13 AM
I would expect them to take Jordan Hill or trade the pick. So much Harden talk but Nick Young is still young and promising at the position. PG and SF aren't needs. Jamison is up there in age and Haywood is coming off of injury. Etan Thomas is always a concern to be injured. Blatche is really the only guy out of the bigs who is a part of the future. So yeah...Hill or a trade down.

Yeah its not looking too good in terms of value. Jordan Hill gives us a Strong rebounder and legit post defender yet i feel he is raw offensively and doesn't seem his game will translate in the NBA. I want a trade down but due to the "weak" draft...i don't feel there will be many suitors.

Go Getter
06-04-2009, 04:25 AM
Do Psycho T...I want to hear what his Stans have to say.

Posterize246
06-04-2009, 01:20 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09MnbGveWgb77/340x.jpg

Jeff Teague, PG/SG, Wake Forest

One of the best pure scorers in the draft and can fill the bucket up in a hurry. Has great hops and loves to throw it down on top of his defender. Measured smaller than he would have hoped at the pre-draft measurements and that only points to how he'll have to learn the PG position even more. Tested very well in the max vert (we knew he had hops) and speed drills and showed off a great wingspan.

The big question everyone has about Teague has nothing to do with his talent, but his shoot-first mentality as a PG. At only about 6'1

Interminator
06-04-2009, 02:47 PM
I did this same style of thread before, It got underlooked mightily but I agree with most of your views.

I think Evans doesn't have the athletic ability of young Larry.

Request Aaron Jackson :oldlol:

Posterize246
06-05-2009, 01:00 PM
http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2008/10/18/18/196-SPORTS_BKC-DUKE_1_RA.standalone.prod_affiliate.138.JPG

Gerald Henderson, SG, Duke

This kid really came into his own this year as he was not expected to be an '09 draftee just one year ago. Not sure if there's a player in the draft who shot up his draft stock in 1 year more so than Henderson. There were some questions about his height but tested okay at the predraft measurements (6'5

Posterize246
06-05-2009, 02:21 PM
700+ views :cheers:

NYK-Bball
06-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Do Stephen Curry next please.

Posterize246
06-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Do Stephen Curry next please.
Flynn/Blair are next then Maynor then Curry.

InspiredLebowski
06-05-2009, 08:25 PM
I've really never seen Henderson drive left. Maybe he can, but I've never seen it. I think he can be a great defender though, could guard either backcourt spot and a few 3s.

And hit us up with some Budinger info, I barely got to see any of Zona. Seems really well rounded to me, people knock him for his defense but I've seen a lot of people say it improved greatly this past season.

Posterize246
06-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I've really never seen Henderson drive left. Maybe he can, but I've never seen it. I think he can be a great defender though, could guard either backcourt spot and a few 3s.
I'm not sure about Henderson's ability driving left. For some you find out in the pros whether in they can or not because in college sometimes they just don't need to. In Tyreke Evans' case he's great at driving left, he just can't finish left. Henderson's dribble left into a pull up jumper could become a dangerous go-to move though.

And hit us up with some Budinger info, I barely got to see any of Zona. Seems really well rounded to me, people knock him for his defense but I've seen a lot of people say it improved greatly this past season.
I'll add him to the list. Flynn, Blair, Maynor, Curry, Budinger are the next 5. I wanna fit Jordan Hill in soon too.

Posterize246
06-05-2009, 10:41 PM
http://pauljlane.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/0401_large.jpg

Jonny Flynn, PG, Syracuse

Everybody knows my love for Jonny Flynn and how I projected him last year to be the best PG prospect in this draft. I'm not sure how I feel about that now. I still like him better than Ty Lawson, Patrick Mills, Eric Maynor, Calathes (had he entered), Jrue Holiday, and Jeff Teague. I've moved Stephen Curry ahead of him only. I haven't seen enough of Ricky Rubio and Brandon Jennings to really comment on where I stand with them. So Flynn is at worst the 4th best PG in the draft and 2nd at best. Though he tested short at the measurements (a near 6'1” in shoes) it surprised absolutely no one. Everybody knew that before so it shouldn't lower his stock. But he did have the best max vert in the draft (BUNNIES!) and he's a solid 196 lbs.

What most people question about Flynn besides his height is his outside jumpshot. It will never be anything close to great, but it can be respectable. He does have the range to get it to the rim from NBA deep. Does anybody remember Flynn's very first college game ever vs. Siena? The one where he went 6-7 from three, had 28 points and something like 10 assists? Flynn was knocking down NBA level threes that game like it was his job. I still have it fresh in my memory. In his prime I see him being an average NBA shooter (70 or so made in a season, 34-35%). If he can get there he'll have a fine career.

If Jonny's placed on a team that plays an up-tempo style of play (Philly for example) he's going to flourish. There's nobody as good as Jonny in this draft, or college basketball as a whole, at leading a fast break. He takes the term “eyes in the back of his head” to a whole new level. If he's placed on a team with exceptional athletes on the wings they could be one of the most exciting teams in the league.

Jonny's defense should only be worried about when playing PG's who are good at posting up (Billups, A. Miller, etc.). He won't be able to guard those types. But perimeter PG's (Rondo, Rose, Mo Williams, most of the other PG's in the league) will be fine. Jonny actually LOVES playing defense and before last season was begging Jim Boeheim to go against his traditional zone and let them play man-to-man. You often see Flynn smacking the hardwood and raising his arms as his man dribbles up the floor in attempt to get his team pumped. He's very strong and physical out on the perimeter and likes to play his man close, keeping his forearm out. We'll see how the NBA refs allow it. His steal numbers shouldn't be looked at too much. He's not a ball thief, but a lot of that is due to him not gambling. So you can look at those numbers as a good or bad thing, however you choose.

What really makes Flynn special is his intangibles. He has one of the best motors in college basketball and led the Big East in minutes played. Everyone witnessed the 6 OT game vs. Uconn where it looked like Flynn didn't even have sweat glands, knocking down late free throws with ease. The guy just doesn't get tired. He loves the big shot and has made a couple game winners in his 2 years, along with huge go-ahead buckets. He seems to thrive in clutch situations and doesn't get nervous.

I don't really see a comparison to anyone in the league with Flynn. I've heard TJ Ford, which I understand the comparison because of the size, but they do have different games. I've also heard a small Stephon Marbury. The difference between those two is Marbury had a much better ability to finish at the bucket because of his size and nobody knew how to cradle the ball on their hip for protection, almost holding it like an NFL RB, better than Marbury. If there's somebody I'd like to see Flynn pattern his career after it's Jameer Nelson. A guy who like Flynn, is 5'11” barefoot and just a block of muscle. But Jameer has improved his game so much since he came into the league because he's improved his outside shot. He's also become a great half court PG. If Flynn can pick up some of these qualities he should have no problem.

Best Case Scenario: 14 point/8 assists prime
Worst Case Scenario: Bench PG with ability to change the pace and bring energy
Stock: 10-19
Best Fits: Milwaukee (10, if Sessions can't be re-signed), Philly (17), Atlanta (19)

InspiredLebowski
06-06-2009, 12:15 AM
My one biggest knock on Flynn is he seems to sort of decide what he's going to do ahead of time. It's great that he's got the confidence to think he can do whatever he wants, but he obviously won't be able to in the L. His ballpounding is probably only outmatched by Collison's as well. He doesn't seem to know his limitations. I have no idea how he'll defend at the next level, he seems to have the tools to be solid, but he hasn't played man to man since HS.

Who knows where he'll land, but wherever it is, I hope it's a place with a vet presence already at the 1 he can sit behind and learn from. I think he'd be a great fit for PHX, an outstanding one. Philly would also be a good one if Miller's retained. He's a much better shooter than Ford was coming out of Texas, and seems to have outstanding leadership skills. But in approaches to the game, I still think they're very similar. Solid form but %s drop because of the insistence on driving to the hoop and putting up a shot. I don't want to call Flynn selfish, he isn't, but he's just too confident, which I know sounds like something you'd want in your 1.

Oh, and hope you don't think I'm trying to refute any of your opinions or anything. After all, that's all they are, and chances are neither of us know dick about how all these guys'll turn out ha.

el gringos
06-06-2009, 01:36 AM
[QUOTE=Posterize246]http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01f8etm1jB4Fz/340x.jpg

Quata
06-06-2009, 03:50 AM
if you have spare time after the guys lined up could you do patty mills, will rep!

Posterize246
06-06-2009, 09:08 AM
That's neat that you are now a fan of johnson and his game- you "really really like him" now- seems weird that its only now that he is a consensus lottery pick- before he was that you didn't think he was a 1st rounder even?
When did I say he wasn't first round? A year ago when you weren't even a member of this site?

I found this thread from May (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132155) where I said I wish my team (Philly) had room for him because he'll be good

I found this thread from April (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128236) where I said Johnson has an NBA game and he won't have to adapt much. This was when those draft sites you claim I look at had him in the mid to late 20s.

The only thing I can find is this thread (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96863), a mock draft I made not long after the '08 draft, that had him going in the beginning of the 2nd round. But back then Kemba Walker was expected to be a one and done, Patrick Patterson was expected to enter, Andrew Ogilvy was still a good prospect, Nick Calathes wasn't going to play in Greece, etc. You gonna flame me for a mock I made last July? :oldlol:

I disagree that he made huge strides from his freshman year
Okay.

but I just think its funny when people change their minds and how much these draft sites affect people like posterizes evaluations
People change their minds because players improve. I look at draft sites to see if others agree with me, not to form an opinion.

Posterize246
06-06-2009, 09:13 AM
My one biggest knock on Flynn is he seems to sort of decide what he's going to do ahead of time. It's great that he's got the confidence to think he can do whatever he wants, but he obviously won't be able to in the L. His ballpounding is probably only outmatched by Collison's as well. He doesn't seem to know his limitations. I have no idea how he'll defend at the next level, he seems to have the tools to be solid, but he hasn't played man to man since HS.

Who knows where he'll land, but wherever it is, I hope it's a place with a vet presence already at the 1 he can sit behind and learn from. I think he'd be a great fit for PHX, an outstanding one. Philly would also be a good one if Miller's retained. He's a much better shooter than Ford was coming out of Texas, and seems to have outstanding leadership skills. But in approaches to the game, I still think they're very similar. Solid form but %s drop because of the insistence on driving to the hoop and putting up a shot. I don't want to call Flynn selfish, he isn't, but he's just too confident, which I know sounds like something you'd want in your 1.

Oh, and hope you don't think I'm trying to refute any of your opinions or anything. After all, that's all they are, and chances are neither of us know dick about how all these guys'll turn out ha.
Very good points. And yeah we don't know the first thing about how good they'll be in the NBA. All these "evaluations" are just meant to say what they can and can't do right now in their careers, which I think I'm at least pretty accurate. But as far as how good their career will be depends so much on playing time, coaching, veteran presence, the unkown (injuries), etc. It's impossible to predict. Thanks for your input:cheers: I'm hoping how you mentioned he "doesn't know his limitations" just leads to him becoming better.

Posterize246
06-06-2009, 02:55 PM
http://allhailuofl.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/dejuan-blair1.jpg

DeJuan Blair, PF, Pittsburgh

Just an absolute beast physically. One of the strongest players in the draft and just a complete bull. Was even recruited by Penn State for football despite never playing high school football just because of his size alone. He'll need to continue to lose weight. He came in at 277 lbs last week and while he'll need to still be a big boy, getting down to 265 will be great for him. He'll still be strong and powerful but will add some speed with the lost weight.

He does a great job of establishing his position down in the low post as his frame is too wide and large for many to handle. Has big, soft hands and can catch a ball with any kind of zip on it. Maybe his best asset is he has a great left hand around the basket. If all he did was shoot layups around the bucket the whole game you'd never be able to tell if he was left or right handed. Uses his body very well to keep his shot from being blocked even though he's so short. He knows very well how to get space against his defender no matter how tall (see Thabeet, Hasheem) and get his shot off with ease in the low post. He's very good at finding open gaps in the defense in which the PG can thread the needle on the pass to get it to him for an easy layup.

If Blair can develop a consistent jumper from out to 15 he'll be a much better player and earn more minutes. As of right now he's way too one dimensional offensively to have any plays run for him. He'll also need to improve his free throw shooting to at least 70% (it was 60% in college) if he's going to be so physical down low. You can expect to see him on the free throw line as it's impossible to not foul him but if he can't make them what good is it?

He's the best pure rebounder in the draft especially on the offensive end. Has such a great wingspan that it's impossible to keep him away especially when he uses that huge body. He should end up one of the best rebounders per minute in the NBA. Defensively he'll struggle against tall, quick, face up type PF's (Aldridge, KG, Rasheed, Jamison) and should strictly guard low post types who can't take him off the dribble. With his huge wingspan he's especially good at poking away his defender's dribble. Sometimes it works, sometimes he gets called for a foul. He'll have to be more picky about when to do this in the NBA or he'll rack up fouls quick.

A player Blair kind of reminds me of is Danny Fortson. Big wide body, though short, and a great rebounder who does most of his work within 8 feet of the basket. Won't be the locker room distraction that Danny was. If he could lose some pounds and develop that short midrange J like I said I'd love to see him turn into a Corliss Williamson type. He's better suited for a team who doesn't do too much running but bases their offense more off of half court sets. A team who could use some frontcourt toughness like Milwaukee would be a good place for him. It'll be tough for him to find his spot in the league. I seriously doubt he can be a starter. But pure undersized rebounders have always found a spot in the league and are always fan favorites for doing the dirty work. Guys like Reggie Evans, Paul Millsap, Chuck Hayes, and Kenny Thomas have all made careers out of being great rebounders and there's no reason Blair can't follow those footsteps.

Stock: 10-16 (if he doesn't go to Bucks/Bulls, he could slip)
Best Fits: Milwaukee (10), Chicago (16)

Kebab Stall
06-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Blair is my favourite player in this draft, along with Clark. I love Blair's game. Tough, hard working, rugged, does the dirty work and does it all with a smile on his face. He just loves to play.

I know some won't agree with me, but he reminds me of Rodman. Not because of talent, because Rodman was far and away better than Blair may ever be. But, the way he plays the game and the swagger he has on court reminds me a little bit of Rodman. They both know/knew just what they are capable of. They absolutely love the game, they always play at 110% and they just play. They both have that similar style of just going after the ball, it doesn't matter who's in the way, because they know they can get it.

They both have freakishly long arms. They are both excellent offensive rebounders, both great defenders. Though, it is yet to be seen how Blair will do on defense in the NBA. I'm sure he will be fine, if he just loses a bit of weight, which will help is quickness, as you rightly mentioned Posterize.

I'm sure Blair will carve out a nice niche in the league, where ever he lands. There's no team that can do without a strong, fierce rebounding machine like Blair.

InspiredLebowski
06-06-2009, 08:55 PM
We seem to be in complete agreement on Blair. I absolute LOVE the kid and his game, a true throwback. Like you said, he'll have a long productive career, but I don't think he'll ever be a capable starter either, more a 4th big in a rotation. A lot of the big names I'm not a fan of because they can't seem to play within their limits. Blair has nothing near that problem, he knows his strengths and uses them with great efficiency.

Again, like you said, he has to develop a 15 footer to have any offensive effectiveness other than putbacks. Scoring buckets isn't all that matters on O though, obviously. He's a very good screener, but w/o a J and lack of speed he won't be that effective. Perhaps use him in double screen situations to get him closer to the hoop for the o-board.

I'm worried about what he'll be able to do defensively. With the NBA going to more and more perimeter oriented bigs, his one true defensive plus, low post D, will be negated many nights. Then on the occasions they do try to post him up his height will be a problem. I know he's got a great wingspan, but he often plays with his arms down. Perhaps he can be coached up in that regard. He'll struggle in the PnR thanks to his lack of speed.

All that said, if he's used in the right situations, he can be a very productive player. I do worry that with him losing weight, if he continues to do, say gets down to 250ish someday, how it'll effect his physical nature. Hopefully he doesn't get put into a position where a team wants him to do so. Fortson and Evans are good comparisons I think. Wherever he does land he's sure to be a fan favorite.

Posterize246
06-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Blair is my favourite player in this draft, along with Clark. I love Blair's game. Tough, hard working, rugged, does the dirty work and does it all with a smile on his face. He just loves to play.

I know some won't agree with me, but he reminds me of Rodman. Not because of talent, because Rodman was far and away better than Blair may ever be. But, the way he plays the game and the swagger he has on court reminds me a little bit of Rodman. They both know/knew just what they are capable of. They absolutely love the game, they always play at 110% and they just play. They both have that similar style of just going after the ball, it doesn't matter who's in the way, because they know they can get it.

They both have freakishly long arms. They are both excellent offensive rebounders, both great defenders. Though, it is yet to be seen how Blair will do on defense in the NBA. I'm sure he will be fine, if he just loses a bit of weight, which will help is quickness, as you rightly mentioned Posterize.

I'm sure Blair will carve out a nice niche in the league, where ever he lands. There's no team that can do without a strong, fierce rebounding machine like Blair.
Yeah I know you've been a big fan of Blair. :cheers:

Posterize246
06-06-2009, 09:45 PM
We seem to be in complete agreement on Blair. I absolute LOVE the kid and his game, a true throwback. Like you said, he'll have a long productive career, but I don't think he'll ever be a capable starter either, more a 4th big in a rotation. A lot of the big names I'm not a fan of because they can't seem to play within their limits. Blair has nothing near that problem, he knows his strengths and uses them with great efficiency.

Again, like you said, he has to develop a 15 footer to have any offensive effectiveness other than putbacks. Scoring buckets isn't all that matters on O though, obviously. He's a very good screener, but w/o a J and lack of speed he won't be that effective. Perhaps use him in double screen situations to get him closer to the hoop for the o-board.

I'm worried about what he'll be able to do defensively. With the NBA going to more and more perimeter oriented bigs, his one true defensive plus, low post D, will be negated many nights. Then on the occasions they do try to post him up his height will be a problem. I know he's got a great wingspan, but he often plays with his arms down. Perhaps he can be coached up in that regard. He'll struggle in the PnR thanks to his lack of speed.

All that said, if he's used in the right situations, he can be a very productive player. I do worry that with him losing weight, if he continues to do, say gets down to 250ish someday, how it'll effect his physical nature. Hopefully he doesn't get put into a position where a team wants him to do so. Fortson and Evans are good comparisons I think. Wherever he does land he's sure to be a fan favorite.
All 100% agreed. I almost feel like Blair couldn't start for a even a really bad team, but could be the first big off the bench for a championship contender...if that makes sense to anyone else besides me.

Snoop_Cat
06-06-2009, 10:33 PM
I feel like a lot of Blair's physicality and aggressiveness is partly credited to his massive hulking frame. I wonder that if he drops some weight, he won't be able to play to his style. I only saw a few of his games, and I thought a bigpart of his game that gave him an advantage was his massive tank-ish body just plowing through dudes.

Posterize246
06-06-2009, 10:39 PM
I feel like a lot of Blair's physicality and aggressiveness is partly credited to his massive hulking frame. I wonder that if he drops some weight, he won't be able to play to his style. I only saw a few of his games, and I thought a bigpart of his game that gave him an advantage was his massive tank-ish body just plowing through dudes.
It's true. But when you think about it he could drop so much weight and still be a tank. He's 6'6" 277. Imagine if he dropped 30 lbs. He'd be 6'6" 247. That's still frickin huge. He'll always be a tank. I'd like to see him drop about 12 lbs to 265, maybe 260, but no less.

Posterize246
06-06-2009, 10:55 PM
If anybody knows anything about Gani Lawal they should write a scouting report on him for me :rockon:

Quata
06-07-2009, 01:02 AM
i saw on the espn home page there was a chad ford article about international prospects which had joe ingles and patty mills as the picture, is anyone an insider than can copy the article, will rep! :D

InspiredLebowski
06-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Hey Posterize, planning on doing another mock draft contest deal again this year?

Posterize246
06-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Hey Posterize, planning on doing another mock draft contest deal again this year?
Probably after the withdrawal date. I think I was last place last year and it was my own game lol

wang4three
06-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Supposedly Teague is being told to stay in college. Same with Daye.

Posterize246
06-08-2009, 11:25 AM
I'll continue this tomorrow, been busy buying a new car

Posterize246
06-09-2009, 01:02 PM
http://www.collegesportspro.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/eric-maynor.jpg

Eric Maynor, PG, VCU

Is going to have to put serious work in in the gym to get up to the level he needs to be athletically in the NBA. Should also consider hiring a nutritionist so he can add weight to his tiny frame. Has good height but is a twig and needs to put on a good 20 pounds. His vertical (31.5

InspiredLebowski
06-09-2009, 06:00 PM
I like Maynor a lot. I was amazed he weighed so low at the combine. I knew he was skinny and all, but he was the lightest guy there I think, at 6'3! Needs to get bulked up, like you said, by 15-20lbs. Can't see it hurting his game.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he'll be a defensive stopper, per se. He'll be solid, perhaps a bit above average, but I don't see any all-defense teams ahead of him. He's such a heady player he sees opposing offenses developing and know what he needs to do to disrupt it, but in an on ball situation I don't think you'll be able to say "go shut him down Eric" that often.

The biggest positive he has over the other points, and maybe it's come with being a 4 year player, I see him being able to run any system. With the other guys (namely Lawson/Flynn) it remains to be seen if they'll be able to utilize their skills in anything but a running team. Maybe someday? Of course, but with Maynor you know he can. I am worried about his shot, yes it's funky as all hell which isn't always a killer, but it's a slow release and I'm worried about him getting it off consistently. Whoever drafts him is going to need to tweak his shot in a pretty big way.

I love that on offense, he'll make his teammates play. It's one of the few things I loved about Jamaal Tinsley, you get open and he'll feed you the ball. He's just such a smart player, he understands every facet of the game. He's not going to be an All-Star, but will be a very capable starter on good teams within a few years. I'd have absolutely no qualms with him becoming a Pacer, espcially if we're able to trade back a few spots and net another small piece.

Posterize246
06-09-2009, 11:08 PM
http://collegehoopsupdate.com/images/pics/Stephen_Curry_ap.jpg

Stephen Curry, PG, Davidson

Posterize246
06-09-2009, 11:10 PM
By the way, I've decided I can't do Chase Budinger, Jordan Hill, Jrue Holiday, and Demar Derozan. Pac10 games come on at like 11pm in Philly, didn't have time for a lot of them.:( Though I did see a lot of James Harden just because I was a fan.

Remaining players I'm doing:

Earl Clark
Ahmad Nivins
Derrick Brown
Hasheem Thabeet
Blake Griffin
DaJuan Summers
Ty Lawson
Tyler Hansbrough
Wayne Ellington
Jerel McNeal

Snoop_Cat
06-10-2009, 12:13 AM
post his mom!!

InspiredLebowski
06-10-2009, 12:34 AM
By the way, I've decided I can't do Chase Budinger, Jordan Hill, Jrue Holiday, and Demar Derozan. Pac10 games come on at like 11pm in Philly, didn't have time for a lot of them.:( Though I did see a lot of James Harden just because I was a fan.

Earl Clark
Ahmad Nivins
Derrick Brown
Hasheem Thabeet
Blake Griffin
DaJuan Summers
Ty Lawson
Tyler Hansbrough
Wayne Ellington
Jerel McNeal

Tell me about it man, wish I'd utilized the DVR a lot more. I just can't get into the scouting portion until I have some understanding of where Indy'll draft. Do look forward to Nivins, Brown, and Summers (especially him, seems like Jeff Green 2.0) though. Don't have much knowledge of potential 2nd rounders. Some Dante Cunningham thoughts'd be cool, think he'll be able to be a rotational 4?

Kebab Stall
06-10-2009, 04:31 AM

Earl Clark
Ahmad Nivins
Derrick Brown
Hasheem Thabeet
Blake Griffin
DaJuan Summers
Ty Lawson
Tyler Hansbrough
Wayne Ellington
Jerel McNeal
Repped, when it gets here.

Posterize246
06-10-2009, 10:02 AM
post his mom!!
http://thesportshernia.typepad.com/blog/images/2008/03/30/sonya_curry_tourney_mvp.jpg

mmmmm

Posterize246
06-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Tell me about it man, wish I'd utilized the DVR a lot more. I just can't get into the scouting portion until I have some understanding of where Indy'll draft. Do look forward to Nivins, Brown, and Summers (especially him, seems like Jeff Green 2.0) though. Don't have much knowledge of potential 2nd rounders. Some Dante Cunningham thoughts'd be cool, think he'll be able to be a rotational 4?
I forgot about Cunningham he'll definitely be added to the list. Once he's able to handle the ball more he'll be a 3, he can guard them it's just the offense that needs work as a SF. I think he did the best job of anybody guarding Kevin Durant 2 years ago.

What guys have Indiana worked out? Sixers workout process seems to be so slow. We worked out Terrence Williams, Ty Lawson, Stefon Jackson, Jodie Meeks, and Toney Douglas. Then a solo workout for Marcus Thornton. I'm wondering when the rest of the guys are scheduled.

edit: we're working out Christmas, Collison, McClinton, and Ellington today

InspiredLebowski
06-10-2009, 12:26 PM
I forgot about Cunningham he'll definitely be added to the list. Once he's able to handle the ball more he'll be a 3, he can guard them it's just the offense that needs work as a SF. I think he did the best job of anybody guarding Kevin Durant 2 years ago.

What guys have Indiana worked out? Sixers workout process seems to be so slow. We worked out Terrence Williams, Ty Lawson, Stefon Jackson, Jodie Meeks, and Toney Douglas. Then a solo workout for Marcus Thornton. I'm wondering when the rest of the guys are scheduled.

edit: we're working out Christmas, Collison, McClinton, and Ellington today

Save Blair and Hansbrough, so many of the "bigs" in this draft seem to be tweeners. I know the league's going that way, but just a bit upsetting in the purist's point of view.

Indy's worked out: Tyrell Biggs, Jeff Adrien, Alfred Aboya, Sam Young, Brett Winkelman (yes, that's a real person), Ahmad Nivins, Taj Gibson, DeMarre Carroll, Budinger, KC Rivers, Marcus Landry, James Johnson, Luke Zeller (Hoosier state shoutout I guess). Can't find the list of upcoming workouts but I know Maynor and T-Will are on it. Were at the Eurocamp as well, assumedly looking at Jennings.

Posterize246
06-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Save Blair and Hansbrough, so many of the "bigs" in this draft seem to be tweeners. I know the league's going that way, but just a bit upsetting in the purist's point of view.

Indy's worked out: Tyrell Biggs, Jeff Adrien, Alfred Aboya, Sam Young, Brett Winkelman (yes, that's a real person), Ahmad Nivins, Taj Gibson, DeMarre Carroll, Budinger, KC Rivers, Marcus Landry, James Johnson, Luke Zeller (Hoosier state shoutout I guess). Can't find the list of upcoming workouts but I know Maynor and T-Will are on it. Were at the Eurocamp as well, assumedly looking at Jennings.
I'm a big Nivins fan (though I hate St. Joe's) and think he has a spot in this league. He's freakin huge, Dwight Howard's size but no where near the athleticism. Great conditioning though, played every minute of every game pretty much and if he was more assertive would have been a first round pick. He'll probably be my next post.

edit: I found this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMKOlC7C1Ks) from when the Pacers worked him out.

InspiredLebowski
06-10-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm a big Nivins fan (though I hate St. Joe's) and think he has a spot in this league. He's freakin huge, Dwight Howard's size but no where near the athleticism. Great conditioning though, played every minute of every game pretty much and if he was more assertive would have been a first round pick. He'll probably be my next post.

edit: I found this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMKOlC7C1Ks) from when the Pacers worked him out.

Nice, I'll look forward to it. Think he'll be there at #52? We all know this draft is weak on elite talent, but there's value all over the place. Looks to be a pretty strong 2nd round class. I really expect Indy to be a big mover on draft day. I expect Ford to be moved, maybe in combination with #13 to move down and acquire a real PF.

Grinder
06-10-2009, 01:40 PM

yeah, i really like nivins game as well. hes got an nba ready body already and i think hes got a lot of potential down the line as pick and pop guy in the mold of carlos boozer/brandon bass.

excuse the poor punctuation, im writing this from my blackberry :lol

Posterize246
06-10-2009, 07:36 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/10i8caa.jpg

Ahmad Nivins, PF, St. Joseph's University

Nivins is a very big body with a wide frame who takes up a lot of space in the paint. He's listed at 6'9” 242 lbs but that needs a bit of an update. He's grown taller and I'd say he's up around 255 lbs by now, just a large man with a Dwight Howard type body. Has a very NBA-ready body. He left SJU as one of the top players in history, ranking 1st in FG%, 3rd in scoring, and 6th in rebounding. He had a senior season in which he was the A-10 player of the year ahead of other draft candidates Derrick Brown, Dionte Christmas, BJ Raymond, and Aaron Jackson. Anybody looking to point to how he was in the A-10 and that helped his stats can look to his competition vs. tournament teams; 14 pts/13 rbs/2 blks/1 stl @ Dexter Pittman and Texas, 16 pts/8 rebs/2 blks @ Villanova, 12 pts/13 rebs/1 stl/1 blk @ Dayton, 21 pts/6 rebs/1 blk vs. Temple, 17 pts/16 rebs/1 stl @ Temple, 21 pts/14 rebs/5 stls @ Temple, and 24 pts/8 rebs/1 blk vs. Xavier. (yes, they played Temple 3 times) Being a 4-year player has helped Ahmad grow into an NBA prospect as he wasn't assumed to be before. Very humble kid.

Nivins has a great skill set for a big man. He's worked extremely hard on his post moves and now has a great jump hook which is impossible to block because of the big body mass he has. Has great footwork in back to the basket situations. In fact, I can't think of a big in the draft with better post footwork. Hook shots over both his left and right shoulder, short turnaround jumpers from 10 feet in, and excellent drop step power moves are all a part of his game. He's got great touch from 15 feet and his jumpshot rarely misses. Could be a good pick n' pop player. He's very smart with his choice of shots and rarely takes a forced shot or bonehead shot. You can see that in his high FG% which has never dipped below 61%. The only problem is he doesn't shoot it enough which I'll get to later.

Ahmad has a chance to be a good rebounder at the NBA level. He's very strong and his body is so huge and takes up so much space. He's got very long arms and broad shoulders and he's a tough box out. If he was an NBA starter he would be a 9+ rebound player given the minutes. His strength is offensive rebounding and he's second only to DeJuan Blair in that department, though that doesn't mean he's in Blair's level at this. Doesn't project to be a great shot blocker at the next level because he doesn't get off the ground quick enough, but does have great length to where he will block a few. Could be a valuable post defender because of his size/strength/length.

What held Nivins back a little was his aggressiveness. His averages of 39.3 mpg|19.2 ppg|11.8 rpg|1.8 bpg|61.2 fg% are very impressive but the stat that stands out is that he only averaged 10.4 shot attempts per game. In past years he had taken a back seat to Pat Calathes as far as scoring, and after Pat's graduation Ahmad had the load on him. It was almost as if he was unaware of just how good of a player he was. It's shocking that a conference player of the year could be 3rd on his own team in shot attempts.

Also holding him back will be his athleticism. Though he has incredible conditioning and can get up in down the floor terrific for a player his size, he lacks in moving side to side and could have trouble defending the “new” NBA PF off the dribble (those Josh Smith types). He also doesn't have great hops or explosion off the ground. Overall he could be a decent role player in the NBA, somebody to come in and provide solid rebounding ability along with a good offensive post presence. I've heard that the SA Spurs, who own the 53rd pick in the draft, have shown interest.

NBA comparison: A bigger, stronger Alan Henderson
Stock: 40th-Undrafted

InspiredLebowski
06-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Playing 39+ minutes a game and only averaging 2.2 fouls, is pretty impressive. What's up with 2.7 TOs while, what looks like, not touching the ball a ton on offense? Struggle with the double team?

Posterize246
06-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Playing 39+ minutes a game and only averaging 2.2 fouls, is pretty impressive. What's up with 2.7 TOs while, what looks like, not touching the ball a ton on offense? Struggle with the double team?
Yes, struggles with the double team. But wouldn't expect him to be double teamed in the NBA anyway. And the limited fouls comes from his stance. When a player goes up for a shot he rarely jumps but rather sticks his arms straight up (I mentioned how long his arms are) and makes it a difficult shot for them. Rarely bites on pump fakes and keeps his feet grounded.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08dI4ye0km9st/340x.jpg

You see a lot of that stance from Ahmad. If he was more assertive he could have been a 24 point guy as a senior. What I didn't mention is that he does a good job of getting to the free throw line, and knocks them down with regularity.

23ajay
06-12-2009, 07:54 AM
willams is a good athlete but is not consistent he is probably not a lottery pick in the draft he is a mid first rounder

Posterize246
06-12-2009, 01:18 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/88830/EarlClark.jpg

Earl Clark, F, Louisville

Clark is one of the most versatile players, along with James Johnson, in the '09 draft. Another guy who can become just a complete stat stuffer giving you points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks. I've always wondered...how can a guy gain nearly 2 inches when he puts on shoes? Was Clark wearing some Spice Girls platforms to the combine? Either way, Clark jumps from a solid 6'8.5 to 6'10 1/2

Kebab Stall
06-12-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm sure you know that Clark (along with Blair) is my favourite player in this draft, so I was really looking forward to this.

[QUOTE=Posterize246]Earl Clark, F, Louisville

Clark is one of the most versatile players, along with James Johnson, in the '09 draft. Another guy who can become just a complete stat stuffer giving you points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks. I've always wondered...how can a guy gain nearly 2 inches when he puts on shoes? Was Clark wearing some Spice Girls platforms to the combine? Either way, Clark jumps from a solid 6'8.5 to 6'10 1/2

Posterize246
06-14-2009, 08:23 PM
I talked a lot about Steph Curry and Eric Maynor having great floaters in the lane, and I believe Tony Parker is the best in the league at that shot. But damn after watching these playoffs Rafer Alston is damn good at it.

Posterize246
06-14-2009, 08:45 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/ohjriw.jpg

Hasheem Thabeet, C, UConn

Was an instant prospect the moment he stepped onto the Uconn campus simply because of his great size. Measured an outstanding 7' 2.5” at the draft with a 7'6 wingspan and a crazy 9'5” standing reach. I'm curious why Hasheem didn't participate in the lane agility, bench rep,

Posterize246
06-15-2009, 09:31 PM
any specific guy I should do next?

Da KO King
06-20-2009, 11:29 AM
I've never been high on Eric Maynor and have no real explanation for it. Every time I watch him all I think is "marginal prospect, not worth the time" and I keep it moving. I hope he can prove me wrong.

With Earl Clark my biggest complaint is he has no "big dawg" in him. Clark is perfectly content with fitting in and playing a role. While that attitude guarantees he will be, at worst, a long time productive role player (think Derrick McKey and Detlef Schrempf) or also guarantees he will never reach his full potential (a Dirk Nowitzki type who shoot over or goes past every defender you place on him).

Edit: Dan Issel might be a better comparison of what I think Clark's full potential could be.

InspiredLebowski
06-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Probably after the withdrawal date. I think I was last place last year and it was my own game lol

time to get started

Posterize246
06-20-2009, 11:38 AM
time to get started
Almost forgot. I'm going to see if I can dig up last year's thread to remember everything.

Posterize246
05-19-2010, 01:18 AM
I was right on some, I was wrong on some...and I'll be back this year. :pimp:

On my to do list:
John Wall
Evan Turner
Demarcus Cousins
Derrick Favors
Al-Farouq Aminu
Wesley Johnson
Greg Monroe
Patrick Patterson
Cole Aldrich
Ed Davis
Xavier Henry
Damion James
Lance Stephenson
Devin Ebanks
Gani Lawal
Dominique Jones
Willie Warren
Stanley Robinson
Jordan Crawford
Greivis Vasquez
Luke Harangody
Sherron Collins

NOT doing:
Hassan Whiteside
Paul George
Larry Sanders
Donatus Motiejunas
Avery Bradley
Luke Babbit
Armon Johnson
Soloman Alabi
Elliot Williams

I'll see how many of those I can get to that are on my to do list. If they're on my "not doing" list it's because I saw them 2 times or less (in most cases 0 times). For guys that aren't on either list I either didn't see them enough to give a full scouting report (like James Anderson and Udoh) or I just don't care enough to write about them (like Orton, Bledsoe, and Pondexter). Still deciding on Hayward.

KG215
05-19-2010, 02:07 AM
If it's cool I might tackle a few of the ones you aren't doing. Mostly, I wouldn't mind doing James Anderson. He's from my home state, saw him play a few times in high school, new he had big time potential, and have seen him play probably 12-15 times in college. Granted, not all of those times I watched with a lot of focus on him or anyone one player, but I think I've seen enough of him to have a good understanding of his game and what he can and can not do.

I could probably come up with something for Elliot Williams and Alabi. I watched Baylor 4 or 5 times over the last couple o fyears, but again, I focused more on other players not named Udoh, but might try to do something on him. Also, this guy is a late first rounder (could slip into the 2nd round) but I saw Terico White play a few times as well-once in person.

Or, I might just see what you say on some of these guys and give some feedback if I feel like it. I don't want to take over or hijack your thread, so I'd probably only do 2-5.

Posterize246
05-19-2010, 10:19 AM
If it's cool I might tackle a few of the ones you aren't doing. Mostly, I wouldn't mind doing James Anderson. He's from my home state, saw him play a few times in high school, new he had big time potential, and have seen him play probably 12-15 times in college. Granted, not all of those times I watched with a lot of focus on him or anyone one player, but I think I've seen enough of him to have a good understanding of his game and what he can and can not do.

I could probably come up with something for Elliot Williams and Alabi. I watched Baylor 4 or 5 times over the last couple o fyears, but again, I focused more on other players not named Udoh, but might try to do something on him. Also, this guy is a late first rounder (could slip into the 2nd round) but I saw Terico White play a few times as well-once in person.

Or, I might just see what you say on some of these guys and give some feedback if I feel like it. I don't want to take over or hijack your thread, so I'd probably only do 2-5.
Do as many as you want :cheers:

KG215
05-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Sweet. I'll probably knock out a few in the next couple of days since I'm leaving sunday and will be out of town for 2 weeks.

Grinder
05-19-2010, 08:28 PM

Ditto. But if you feel it's cluttering up the thread, I'll pass. :cheers:

Posterize246
05-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Ditto. But if you feel it's cluttering up the thread, I'll pass. :cheers:
On my to do list:
John Wall
Evan Turner
Demarcus Cousins
Derrick Favors
Al-Farouq Aminu
Wesley Johnson
Greg Monroe
Patrick Patterson
Cole Aldrich
Ed Davis
Xavier Henry
Damion James
Lance Stephenson
Devin Ebanks
Gani Lawal
Dominique Jones
Willie Warren
Stanley Robinson
Jordan Crawford
Greivis Vasquez
Luke Harangody
Sherron Collins

NOT doing:
Hassan Whiteside
Paul George
Larry Sanders
Donatus Motiejunas
Avery Bradley
Luke Babbit
Armon Johnson
Soloman Alabi
Elliot Williams

Those guys in bold I definitely want to do, but if you want any on the "not doing" list go right ahead or anyone special on the top list not bolded just let me know. For both you and KG215. If you both do the same guy it's not a big deal. 2 perspectives on a player isn't a bad thing.

But I'll be starting a new thread for this tomorrow so hold up until then.

KG215
05-19-2010, 10:21 PM
I've got a shorter list of guys I want to do.

Ed Davis
James Anderson
Ekpe Udoh
Solomon Alabi
Elliot Williams
Terico White
Jarvis Varnado

I could do about any ACC guy. Ed Davis, obviously, is the one I know the most about, but I've seen the other guys enough. So if you don't get around to doing Lawal, or Davis, or Vazquez in the next several weeks, I may do them as well.