PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Rubio just said that he wont go to the nba if grizziles draft him

Rekindled
05-31-2009, 02:58 PM
http://www.marca.com/2009/05/30/baloncesto/nba/1243707521.html

google translate : http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marca.com%2F2009%2F05%2F30%2Fba loncesto%2Fnba%2F1243707521.html&sl=es&tl=en&history_state0=

"In United States is still speculating on the future of Ricky.The Spanish have already confirmed that his agent is already talking with some managers in the NBA. "You have to see what is best for me. Memphis has two, but that does not mean anything"

Jordandunk23
05-31-2009, 03:00 PM
pulling a steve francis..

maybe he'll end up in houston :confusedshrug:

:oldlol: j/k

bdreason
05-31-2009, 03:01 PM
Wizards need to trade up from the 5th spot to get him.

Rubio
Arenas
Butler
Jamison
Haywood

If they stay healthy that could be nice playoff squad out East.

GiveItToBurrito
05-31-2009, 03:03 PM
I'd think that he'll wind up being drafted by Sacramento, either at number four or through a trade. I can't really blame him for not wanting to go to Memphis; staying below the luxury tax is one thing, but I've never seen a team try to cut salary as much as Memphis does. The owners don't have to spend absurd amounts of money, but part of owning an NBA team is being willing to spend enough to put a quality product on the floor, and Memphis' ownership just does not seem willing to do that. It's a shame, too, because they've got a decent young core, and they're really just an elite prospect away from being a team on the rise.

Big One
05-31-2009, 03:08 PM
i wouldnt want any part of that cheap ass team either.

doesnt rubio have to buy out his contract in spain with his own money or something?

and then come to the nba and play for the grizz:oldlol:

Mississippi
05-31-2009, 03:09 PM
That's cool. We already have Conley. I say we just draft him and trade his rights along with Jaric for a solid front court scorer.

Meticode
05-31-2009, 03:10 PM

Rubio
Arenas
Butler
Jamison
Haywood

Then maybe if Arenas has a good season they can trade him away again before he hurts himself again?

qrich
05-31-2009, 03:12 PM
i wouldnt want any part of that cheap ass team either.

doesnt rubio have to buy out his contract in spain with his own money or something?

and then come to the nba and play for the grizz:oldlol:

Yeah, NBA teams can only give 500k towards a players buy out, rest is by the player. His buy out this year is $6 million (or was it 8?) and next year, it rockets up to $11 million, meaning, Rubio, will have to pay, at least $5.5 million to come over and play for Memphis, or whoever drafts him

GoldMedallist
05-31-2009, 03:24 PM
This post is trash, and you don't know Spanish or you are a liar.

He just said he wants a good future project, he don't say anything about not playing for Memphis.

Rubio haters, please stop lying.

Rekindled
05-31-2009, 04:13 PM
This post is trash, and you don't know Spanish or you are a liar.

He just said he wants a good future project, he don't say anything about not playing for Memphis.

Rubio haters, please stop lying.

er actually you fail. he said memphis has the no.2 pick , but it means nothing because he doesnt want memphis. funny how the next article talks about memphis intalk with new york for a trade huh.

oh the horror
05-31-2009, 04:16 PM
Ehhh...I dont know, i still dont like these young players walking into the league, and being able to hold teams up like this. Kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth all the way around.

thejumpa
05-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Who the **** is Ricky Rubio?

18, never played a day of NBA ball in your life, and your trying to call the shots? I don't understand why stuff like this doesn't hurt a players stock. Only in the NBA...

darabzarrabi
05-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Yeah, NBA teams can only give 500k towards a players buy out, rest is by the player. His buy out this year is $6 million (or was it 8?) and next year, it rockets up to $11 million, meaning, Rubio, will have to pay, at least $5.5 million to come over and play for Memphis, or whoever drafts him

FWIW I talked to a friend that plays pretty prominent D1 bball and he said in situations like that someone like Rubio would probably sign a big endorsement, and the endorsement company would cover the buyout

oh the horror
05-31-2009, 04:21 PM

18, never played a day of NBA ball in your life, and your trying to call the shots? I don't understand why stuff like this doesn't hurt a players stock. Only in the NBA...

I dont get it either. Plus...I CAN GAURANTEE any team that trades away a lot of pieces to acquire Rubio, is going to be dissapointed for a good while.

The ONLY 18 year old, ive known to walk into the league, and make a serious impact, was Lebron James.

This kid is going to take a few years to develope. Hes young, skinny, and im willing to bet, will be a project for a minute.

imlmf
05-31-2009, 04:24 PM
i wanted to say who the f*ck he thinks he is

but then i remember when yi came to the league..

thejumpa
05-31-2009, 04:27 PM
I dont get it either. Plus...I CAN GAURANTEE any team that trades away a lot of pieces to acquire Rubio, is going to be dissapointed for a good while.

The ONLY 18 year old, ive known to walk into the league, and make a serious impact, was Lebron James.

This kid is going to take a few years to develope. Hes young, skinny, and im willing to bet, will be a project for a minute.

:applause:

I hope he does well but....when he hits the league, he will find out it's a bit different than overseas.

oh the horror
05-31-2009, 04:30 PM
What would most teams trade away to get this kid? Because the way I see it....sure...he could be huge...HE DEFINATELY WILL TAKE A WHILE TO DEVELOPE. I mean lets face it....hes 18 years old.....he isnt going to do much at that age.

So now most, are faced with the fact that Rubio COULD be a bust as well...

So what do you even trade away?

See, with this kid and his agent calling the shots, i dont see how most teams would be willing to take the plunge...

quasimoto
05-31-2009, 04:40 PM
I can understand him...in Europe there's no such thing as a draft, you just go to the team that offers you the best deal. That's a pretty big difference and I can understand he doesn't want to take the risk of wasting his career on a bad team. Although it would probably wouldn't hurt him if he could play a year or two in a smaller market, away from all the media.

Foster5k
05-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Rubio going to get what he wants or he staying in Spain, where he is getting all the fresh Spanish pu$$y and doing whatever the hell he wants. I would actually stay in Spain, if I was him, but I guess the lure and challenge of coming to the NBA is something he wants.

To Rubio, it's like this...

Rubio > NBA. Rubio is thinking it's a pleasure, for the NBA, to get him. So, of course, they should meet his demands or else. :D

All I can say is.. whoever ends up with this guy.. it might not be all happy go lucky.. that's all I'm saying.

Butters
05-31-2009, 04:46 PM
Then maybe if Arenas has a good season they can trade him away again before he hurts himself again?

Blasphemy!

miniharrison37
05-31-2009, 04:47 PM
After reading that, if I were the Grizzlies I would for sure pick him because then he won't be on any team and that's better for the Grizzlies than him on another team.

oh the horror
05-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Although it would probably wouldn't hurt him if he could play a year or two in a smaller market, away from all the media.

Yep yep, agreed. The hype alone is probably going to work against him in the beginning.

Thom.Yorke
05-31-2009, 05:07 PM
The lakers should get him, and develop him. The lakers are one of the few teams in the nba who have h.o.f.'s that develop young talent.

I think playing for l.a. gives certain players confidence, kinda like ariza & brown.

this is an awkward situation with this kid. hopefully he comes over to a decent team.

Shepseskaf
05-31-2009, 05:13 PM
Rubio going to get what he wants or he staying in Spain, where he is getting all the fresh Spanish pu$$y and doing whatever the hell he wants. I would actually stay in Spain, if I was him
My thoughts exactly. Plus, there are some contractual issues with his current team, where a buyout would need to be arranged. From the reports I've seen, the team doesn't plan to make it easy for him to leave.

In the end, he may end up not coming over at all. He would probably be better of for it.

ZHAKIDD532
05-31-2009, 05:16 PM
I still think one way or another, he ends up playing in Sacramento next year.

RonPaul
05-31-2009, 05:20 PM
Rubio going to get what he wants or he staying in Spain, where he is getting all the fresh Spanish pu$$y and doing whatever the hell he wants. I would actually stay in Spain, if I was him, but I guess the lure and challenge of coming to the NBA is something he wants.

To Rubio, it's like this...

Rubio > NBA. Rubio is thinking it's a pleasure, for the NBA, to get him. So, of course, they should meet his demands or else. :D

All I can say is.. whoever ends up with this guy.. it might not be all happy go lucky.. that's all I'm saying.

Indeed, In the that news link, he says ''If there is no good project i won't go to the nba'' he clearly has a good future in spain anyways, And he never said he doesn't want to go to the grizzlies. What he said was ''Lets see what is my option Memphis has #2 pick but that doesn't mean anything'' he also said ''there are possibilities for me to stay in DKV Joventut'' another thing he mentioned was ''I will only go to to the nba if a good team drafts me. IF i go its because i want a better future''

went_worth
05-31-2009, 05:51 PM
Memphis will trade Rubio to the Lakers for Mbenga + bag of chips. :violin:

Apples
05-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Memphis will trade Rubio to the Lakers for Mbenga + bag of chips. :violin:

Hmm, if he can't shoot (as most have said), then I'm not sure he could fit in the triangle.

Sonics4Life
05-31-2009, 06:31 PM
so he won't play for Memphis or OKC... i wouldn't want to play in those cities either but this refusing to play for who drafts you is bullsh*t.

www.cursethethunder.com

GiveItToBurrito
05-31-2009, 06:32 PM

Rubio
Arenas
Butler
Jamison
Haywood

That'd be pretty damned sweet. It'd cost them McGee + the 5th pick, which I'm not too sure about as a Wiz fan, but Blatche (good young player who makes 3 million a year for another three years or something) + 5th pick + maybe Mike James' expirer (6 million) would be a great trade for Washington.

Sonic R
05-31-2009, 06:39 PM
After reading that, if I were the Grizzlies I would for sure pick him because then he won't be on any team and that's better for the Grizzlies than him on another team.

LOL

Grizzlies would be the masters of screwing other teams!
They already screwed the Blazers with signing and playing Darius Miles :lol

KeylessEntry
05-31-2009, 06:42 PM
I dont blame him. If I was Rubio, I wouldnt want to spend millions of my own money to move from Barcelona to Memphis to play ball.

FIXED
05-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Draft him and trade him for a post player. He is a bum anyway personally i would rather have Brandon Jennings a 6'1 inch guard who's athletism rivals that of a Derrick Rose, then a 6'4 skinny guard who can barely dunk a basketball.

bagelred
05-31-2009, 10:34 PM
I dont blame him. If I was Rubio, I wouldnt want to spend millions of my own money to move from Barcelona to Memphis to play ball.

Exactly.

He has a life and opportunity outside of the NBA. He doesn't need to come here.

GOBB
05-31-2009, 10:42 PM
I dont like that Wash Wizards lineup.

NY Knicks need to jump in the Ricky Rubio sweepstakes. I'm sure a deal could be done to go from 2 to 8 or 2 to 3 (if Memphis decides to tell Rubio f*ck you).

Or maybe Memphis can draft that overrated prospect Jordan Hill. Much like a trade down with perhaps Wash? Wash takes Hill. Memhis takes Rubio. Swap prospects and other pieces involved is whatever. Much like Portland-Chicago when Tyrus Thomas/Aldridge was traded.

Tons of cool scenerios. I cant wait for the draft because I think this is the most unpredictable of them all. I mean granted the draft usually is. But you have a better understanding where guys will go and so forth. Now? I really dont know outside of Blake Griffin.

Prodigy
05-31-2009, 10:42 PM
I find it ironic that Laker fans are bashing him and then even having the audacity in suggesting that he should go to LA. Does Kobe Bryant ring any bells?

FIXED
05-31-2009, 10:57 PM
I dont like that Wash Wizards lineup.

NY Knicks need to jump in the Ricky Rubio sweepstakes. I'm sure a deal could be done to go from 2 to 8 or 2 to 3 (if Memphis decides to tell Rubio f*ck you).

Or maybe Memphis can draft that overrated prospect Jordan Hill. Much like a trade down with perhaps Wash? Wash takes Hill. Memhis takes Rubio. Swap prospects and other pieces involved is whatever. Much like Portland-Chicago when Tyrus Thomas/Aldridge was traded.

Tons of cool scenerios. I cant wait for the draft because I think this is the most unpredictable of them all. I mean granted the draft usually is. But you have a better understanding where guys will go and so forth. Now? I really dont know outside of Blake Griffin.

GOBB very good post. You have been a very good poster of late.

oh the horror
05-31-2009, 11:49 PM
I find it ironic that Laker fans are bashing him and then even having the audacity in suggesting that he should go to LA. Does Kobe Bryant ring any bells?

Yes, we're aware of that. Does that mean we're not allowed an opinion? Sorry pal, but the adults here are trying to have a conversation.

BigTicket
06-01-2009, 12:12 AM

My thoughts exactly, I wouldn't want to spend millions to go to Memphis either. I'd wait out the final two years of my contract in Barca and then go for free, or hope someone else picks up my contract.

BigTicket
06-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Yes, we're aware of that. Does that mean we're not allowed an opinion? Sorry pal, but the adults here are trying to have a conversation.

No you're allowed to have an opinion, just be aware that if you chose to blame Rubio, you will be a hypocrite.

oh the horror
06-01-2009, 12:24 AM
No you're allowed to have an opinion, just be aware that if you chose to blame Rubio, you will be a hypocrite.

How would I be a hypocrite when I had no prior opinion on Kobe, and his happenings, nor do I have any direct hand in that incident?

BigTicket
06-01-2009, 12:30 AM
How would I be a hypocrite when I had no prior opinion on Kobe, and his happenings, nor do I have any direct hand in that incident?

You're a hypocrite because you blame young players for not wanting to go to small teams, while enjoying the benefits of young players not wanting to go to small teams.

Apples
06-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Draft night can't come soon enough. Rubio and Curry are the main reasons I'm looking forward to the draft. I really want Rubio to come over next season because I enjoyed his Olympic play.

oh the horror
06-01-2009, 12:36 AM
You're a hypocrite because you blame young players for not wanting to go to small teams, while enjoying the benefits of young players not wanting to go to small teams.

Are we having a philosophical debate?

I got one....If.....Kobe wasnt a Laker, would I still be a Lakers fan?

BigTicket
06-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Are we having a philosophical debate?

I got one....If.....Kobe wasnt a Laker, would I still be a Lakers fan?

I've got an answer for you: No.

new noise
06-01-2009, 12:49 AM
google translate : http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marca.com%2F2009%2F05%2F30%2Fba loncesto%2Fnba%2F1243707521.html&sl=es&tl=en&history_state0=

"In United States is still speculating on the future of Ricky.The Spanish have already confirmed that his agent is already talking with some managers in the NBA. "You have to see what is best for me. Memphis has two, but that does not mean anything"

I doubt that Google Translator is the most reliable way to get information. I'm not saying he does or doesn't care to play in Memphis, but there's any number of things that can get lost in translation.

He could easily have been trying to say that just because the Grizz have the #2 pick, doesn't mean they'll pick him. Let's not pile on the kid yet.

brantonli
06-01-2009, 01:30 AM
^^ Wasn't Moses Malone fairly successful when he first jumped from hs to pro? Or maybe it's my imagination.......

oh the horror
06-01-2009, 01:30 AM
I've got an answer for you: No.

So youve just assumed, that im only a Lakers fan, because of Kobe, in order to support your theory, in your own mind, just to make me out to be a hypocrite? Grow up kiddo.

JustinJDW
06-01-2009, 01:39 AM
It hate it when players do this. It's like, "Who the **** are you?" The guy is only 18. He is barely growing hair on his nuts and he is trying to call the shots. **** him.

Memphis should just draft the **** and trade his rights for a good post player. Or just keep his draft rights for a couple years while he becomes even better while playing at Spain, and then trade his rights for someone better.

oh the horror
06-01-2009, 01:50 AM
If I were them, I'd draft him, and trade him for another youthful player who contributes NOW.

C-Webb4
06-01-2009, 01:52 AM
If I was Griffin I would do the same thing in regards to the Clippers.

Durant35
06-01-2009, 02:13 AM

The Clippers are a $hitty Franchise, but at least he's playing in the Staples Center.

ronnymac
06-01-2009, 03:21 AM
The Clippers are a $hitty Franchise, but at least he's playing in the Staples Center.
Not only that, he will have the massive la market. he'll be the face of the future lakers V Clippers matchups.

Durant35
06-01-2009, 03:23 AM
Not only that, he will have the massive la market. he'll be the face of the future lakers V Clippers matchups.

Amen :cheers:

STelfair31
06-01-2009, 08:27 AM
who cares. the dude blows and with this it sounds like he thinks hes the next Jordan or something.. I hope they draft him.

Grinder
06-01-2009, 08:43 AM
who cares. the dude blows and with this it sounds like he thinks hes the next Jordan or something.. I hope they draft him.

Lmao. How does he blow? Since you've seen him play and all.

Uninformed idiots are the funniest kind. :oldlol:

oh the horror
06-01-2009, 08:51 AM
I see this kid as being a solid player, but not this mega superstar...and this situation certainly isnt helping his cause much either.

STelfair31
06-01-2009, 08:51 AM
watched him play..nothing spectacular about him. and his attitude about wanting to play pisses me off.

RainierBeachPoet
06-01-2009, 09:03 AM
www.cursethethunder.com (http://www.cursethethunder.com)
:cheers: made my day!!

dnyk1337
06-01-2009, 09:04 AM
why the hell would anyone waste 6 mill of their own money to play for a cheap franchise and not get any opportunities to touch the basketball? we all know who dominates the ball in memphis. why do they need another pg after conley? if rubio goes there, i guarantee he doesnt play more than 16 mpg.

this is different from college players because they arent paying their way out of a 6 mill contract.

Durant35
06-01-2009, 09:05 AM
watched him play..nothing spectacular about him. and his attitude about wanting to play pisses me off.

He was spectacular in the 2008 Olympics, and he's a solid player in the Euroleague.

If I am Rubio i stay with the Grizzlies because they have a very bright future with Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol and OJ Mayo playing on his team.

mrhoopfan
06-01-2009, 09:20 AM
He was spectacular in the 2008 Olympics, and he's a solid player in the Euroleague.

If I am Rubio i stay with the Grizzlies because they have a very bright future with Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol and OJ Mayo playing on his team.

Can you tell me how he was SPECTACULAR in the Olympics?

Durant35
06-01-2009, 09:26 AM

He made some great plays in the Gold Medal Round. He might not be as impressive as Patrick Mills, but he held his own againts the best players in the NBA.

mrhoopfan
06-01-2009, 09:28 AM
He made some great plays in the Gold Medal Round. He might not be as impressive as Patrick Mills, but he held his own againts the best players in the NBA.

SOLID not SPECTACULAR....shot 28% from field.....

chains5000
06-01-2009, 09:29 AM
He was in some games. The China one for example, his D on that match was incredible.

jinsanity
06-01-2009, 10:17 AM
He was in some games. The China one for example, his D on that match was incredible.

I've seen Rubio and he seems like a solid player, but shutting down some scrub guard on the Chinese national team isn't really that impressive. (Note China has good big men, but crap guards. )

Sonic R
06-01-2009, 10:19 AM

The difference is, that Rubio is already playing professionally, and getting paid well. Griffin isn't making a cripple crab cent right now

oh the horror
06-01-2009, 10:22 AM
I'd love for him to come over here, and get a taste of what a real league is.

I gaurantee he'd be tossed around.

Kebab Stall
06-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Great, more reasons to hate on the Grizzlies. Like this sh!t isn't getting old already.

I'd rather have Conley anyway. Having Rubio, Mayo and Gay on the same team wouldn't work too well. Let me have Conley as the PG and and use the 2nd pick to get a solid PF and I'll be happy.

Shepseskaf
06-01-2009, 10:42 AM
This whole Rubio hysteria is funny to me. Nobody is even talking about Johny Flynn, who will be a better point guard on the NBA level than Rubio ever would be. In any head-to-head, Flynn would own him.

Rubio better get smart and stay over in Spain.

Durant35
06-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Great, more reasons to hate on the Grizzlies. Like this sh!t isn't getting old already.

I'd rather have Conley anyway. Having Rubio, Mayo and Gay on the same team wouldn't work too well. Let me have Conley as the PG and and use the 2nd pick to get a solid PF and I'll be happy.

I hope the Grizzlies draft Jordan Hill. He's a very hardworking guy, and solid rebounder in College.

C- Marc Gasol
F- Jordan Hill
F- Rudy Gay
G- OJ Mayo
G- Mike Conley Jr.

That's a 38 win team in the Western Conference, and a future playoffs contender.

Kebab Stall
06-01-2009, 11:35 AM
I hope the Grizzlies draft Jordan Hill. He's a very hardworking guy, and solid rebounder in College.

C- Marc Gasol
F- Jordan Hill
F- Rudy Gay
G- OJ Mayo
G- Mike Conley Jr.

That's a 38 win team in the Western Conference, and a future playoffs contender.
If the Grizz keep the 2nd pick, then it's going to be Thabeet or Rubio and then trade him. Heisley wants Thabeet more than anyone and considering he is the biggest cry baby of them all, I expect to see that lumbering tower in a Grizz uni next season.

Interminator
06-01-2009, 11:41 AM
I've seen Rubio and he seems like a solid player, but shutting down some scrub guard on the Chinese national team isn't really that impressive. (Note China has good big men, but crap guards. )
What the hell does that mean?

Chris Paul & Deron Williams didnt look like All Stars in Beiging either.:oldlol:

Interminator
06-01-2009, 11:43 AM

C- Marc Gasol
F- Jordan Hill
F- Rudy Gay
G- OJ Mayo
G- Mike Conley Jr.

Nah Jordan Hill isnt that much of an impact player, hes not going to come in and change our team.

He just fills a need at the 4 of a good rebounder, and a capable low post scorer.

Interminator
06-01-2009, 11:47 AM

There is no reason he has to play for the Grizzlies, This Franchise has been around for almost 15 years and there has never been a good reason for anyone to think they are going into a good situation for their careers.

We have a good young nucles currently of Mayo-Gay-Gasol-Conley but until we have an owner willing to spend money to add other necessary pieces to make us a contendor then we cant be sure how far they can go.

FrenchDude
If the Grizz keep the 2nd pick, then it's going to be Thabeet or Rubio and then trade him. Heisley wants Thabeet more than anyone and considering he is the biggest cry baby of them all, I expect to see that lumbering tower in a Grizz uni next season.

Can M.Gasol play PF?

Interminator
SOLID not SPECTACULAR....shot 28% from field.....
It was the Olympics.

:roll: :roll:

Interminator
06-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Can M.Gasol play PF?
No he can't.

Gasol & Thabeet will give us 2 lumbering 7'0 C's playing in the front court.

Maybe it will work on offense, but unless Thabeet is able to dominate the paint like he did in college we will probably struggle on defense espescially when it comes to athletic/versatile post duos in our own division.

Kebab Stall
06-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Can M.Gasol play PF?
He sure as hell won't be able to guard the likes of Amare Stoudemire who would just blow past him every time. Gasol isn't fast enough or agile enough to guard the 4 spot.

STelfair31
06-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Rubio is garbage I'm telling everyone on this board that now.. mark my words.

chains5000
06-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Coming from a poster with Sebastian Telfair as username, that means nothing.

idizzle
06-01-2009, 12:17 PM

Same way I feel. He outta be lucky someone wants his punk ass. He don't like it he can keep his punk ass in Spain. He probably ain't gone live up to the hype anyway.

Interminator
06-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Hes going to be very good, at worst case scenario if he doesnt become the star player that people expect he should be a solid starting PG and a very good defensive PG.

ronnymac
06-01-2009, 12:27 PM
He'll be a rich mans version of hinrich. both have extremly good defensive prowess and have excellent hands on defense.

STelfair31
06-01-2009, 12:41 PM
He'll be a rich mans version of hinrich. both have extremly good defensive prowess and have excellent hands on defense.

they both will be all-stars. being sarcastic. As far as a username, that has absolutely nothing to do with anything. :wtf:

Final thing, just saying, He will not be anything special.

STelfair31
06-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Same way I feel. He outta be lucky someone wants his punk ass. He don't like it he can keep his punk ass in Spain. He probably ain't gone live up to the hype anyway.

Agree:applause:

Bodin
06-01-2009, 12:43 PM

Rubio is garbage!! Seems like such a spoiled brat. He signed a contract to play in Spain so he should stay there and finish out his contract. Either he doesn't like his current situation or doesn't want to play their anymore (i.e. he wants to play for the NBA now).

So now he's going to have to pay a bunch of money for the next few years to come to the NBA. And get this, he's already demanding they he doesn't play for certain teams.

So what if he gets on a team here and he doesn't like his situation? Is he going to pack up and head back home to Europe? He just doesn't seem man enough to play in the NBA. Really he should just stay in Europe, finish his contract, and if he's finally grown up by then he can come play in the NBA.

jinsanity
06-01-2009, 08:16 PM
What the hell does that mean?

Chris Paul & Deron Williams didnt look like All Stars in Beiging either.:oldlol:

Well, there was a point made that Rubio played good defense in the China game. But the Chinese guards are scrubs. So shutting them down isn't much of an accomplishment. Remember we're discussing an NBA prospect here and a good performance defensively against some scrub guards on the Chinese national team (which is big man focussed) isn't necessarily a good indicator of how he'll defend the likes of Rose/ Chris Paul and co.

lukekarts
06-02-2009, 04:24 AM
You guys cleary don't appreciate/understand the different system and culture sports have outside the NBA.

Basically, every player has freedom of choice in their career. They will sign for youth teams (normally whoever offers, or in their hometown), and their team will normally offer them a better long-term contract if it looks like they'll break into the first team.

The only way a player can move teams is if another team offers to buy him from his existing team. Once a price is agreed, the player will then negotiate a contract with the new team, which he can accept or decline, but essentially the player will decide. Players can be offered contracts at any time so naturally teams won't want their contract to expire. Trades almost never happen, its all about buying and selling.

It's not like in the NBA where your contract follows you around and you have to be traded for rather than bought. The NBA system is all about trying to keep things equal, the European system gives more freedom which allows for a much bigger difference between the teams.

So I don't blame Rubio for not wanting to go to Memphis or OKC - he's brought up somewhere he'd always have a choice, and who the hell from outside of America wants to end up in either of those two?

I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a shortlist of potential destinations (NY, LA, SF, all the well known American cities) and would be unhappy anywhere else.

Terp in LA
06-02-2009, 02:15 PM

Rubio
Arenas
Butler
Jamison
Haywood

Who's that?

STelfair31
06-02-2009, 02:42 PM
You guys cleary don't appreciate/understand the different system and culture sports have outside the NBA.

Basically, every player has freedom of choice in their career. They will sign for youth teams (normally whoever offers, or in their hometown), and their team will normally offer them a better long-term contract if it looks like they'll break into the first team.

The only way a player can move teams is if another team offers to buy him from his existing team. Once a price is agreed, the player will then negotiate a contract with the new team, which he can accept or decline, but essentially the player will decide. Players can be offered contracts at any time so naturally teams won't want their contract to expire. Trades almost never happen, its all about buying and selling.

It's not like in the NBA where your contract follows you around and you have to be traded for rather than bought. The NBA system is all about trying to keep things equal, the European system gives more freedom which allows for a much bigger difference between the teams.

So I don't blame Rubio for not wanting to go to Memphis or OKC - he's brought up somewhere he'd always have a choice, and who the hell from outside of America wants to end up in either of those two?

I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a shortlist of potential destinations (NY, LA, SF, all the well known American cities) and would be unhappy anywhere else.

Well it's different here he has to adjust to the system, the system won't adjust to him. The likes of Dirk and other Euros have seemed fine with the transition, the bolded statement above isn't valid.

oh the horror
06-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Well it's different here he has to adjust to the system, the system won't adjust to him. The likes of Dirk and other Euros have seemed fine with the transition, the bolded statement above isn't valid.

Thank you.

We haves rules and systems in place in THIS country. Why should we cater to outside sources because THEY'RE USED TO another choice?

Hey, im using to scratching my balls when im at home. Does that mean i can go to any public area, and reach into my pants and tug away, because i have a choice?

GMW
06-02-2009, 02:48 PM
He is not asking for the system to be adjusted to him, he is simply saying that he will not enter the system if it's not a good situation for him, which is entirely understandable.

chains5000
06-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Dirk was a nobody before playing in Dallas while Rubio is an European star, it's clearly not the same situation.

chains5000
06-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Hey, im using to scratching my balls when im at home. Does that mean i can go to any public area, and reach into my pants and tug away, because i have a choice?
No, you can scratch you balls when you're home, the same way Rubio can choose where he plays as long as he isn't playing in the NBA.
Get it now?

oh the horror
06-02-2009, 02:56 PM
He is not asking for the system to be adjusted to him, he is simply saying that he will not enter the system if it's not a good situation for him, which is entirely understandable.

And by doing so, youve asked the system to adjust to your own liking.

What if Memphis, or OKC actually wanted this kid? They now have to go through the motions of shopping him around, or drafting someone else, because HE doesnt want to go to those teams.

oh the horror
06-02-2009, 02:56 PM
No, you can scratch you balls when you're home, the same way Rubio can choose where he plays as long as he isn't playing in the NBA.
Get it now?

Sure I can, but will people like it?

This is what this conversation is about. He CAN DO IT....But people dont have to like it.

lukekarts
06-02-2009, 07:54 PM

Rubio is 18, immature, and will be paying a small fortune to come to the NBA. That's why he wants to go to a big market.

I'm not saying he's right, I'm just trying to justify why he has the attitude he has about where he wants to go.

sobeking
06-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Like lukekarts above just said, the european sports run in a different way... College does not play a significant role in Pro sports, Rubio wasn't drafted to DKV and also, as far as I know, there's chance he might have a better contract there with DKV than with a rookie contract in the NBA...

So tell me, why the heck would he leave the beautiful city of Barcelona, to come to a small city in US, to earn less money???
If I were him I would really come to US only if to a city as good as Barcelona and to a good team that will give him a prospect of development as a player and with decent coaching...

As far as his potential as a player, do you guys watch a lot of DKV games or you're just basing your opinion on the Olympics?

sobeking
06-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Sure I can, but will people like it?

This is what this conversation is about. He CAN DO IT....But people dont have to like it.

And why does people need to "like it"... ?

He's already a Pro. His team doesn't even want to get rid of him...

He has options, why would he not make use of them? He decides what's best for himself.

I don't get the talk of "Who's the hell is that kid to think he can choose his team". He actually can.

OneMoreSucka
06-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Like lukekarts above just said, the european sports run in a different way... College does not play a significant role in Pro sports, Rubio wasn't drafted to DKV and also, as far as I know, there's chance he might have a better contract there with DKV than with a rookie contract in the NBA...

So tell me, why the heck would he leave the beautiful city of Barcelona, to come to a small city in US, to earn less money???
If I were him I would really come to US only if to a city as good as Barcelona and to a good team that will give him a prospect of development as a player and with decent coaching...

As far as his potential as a player, do you guys watch a lot of DKV games or you're just basing your opinion on the Olympics?
Play with better players, improve his overall recognition/fame and give himself a chance to make more money in the future?