PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James finally comments on his future and the game 6 loss to Orlando!

bruceblitz
05-31-2009, 06:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4219933

"I'm great. I feel great about this situation that's going on," James said. "You want to continue to get better, that's all you can ask. We got better and I feel this team will be better next season. You don't want to take a step backward. I think we went forward from the Boston series [a Game 7 loss in the semis] last year."

"Hopefully we can go forward next year."

The Cavaliers won 66 regular-season games and their second Central Division title this season.

James, who averaged 38.5 points, 8.3 rebounds and 8.2 assists against Orlando, said he hasn't given any thought to signing a contract extension with the Cavs this summer.

Cleveland can offer the extension on July 18 -- the three-year anniversary of him signing his previous deal.

"I don't know," James said when asked if he'll sign. "I haven't thought about it just yet. I'm just going to take time off from basketball and not think about contracts or the game period. I'll relax with my family we'll figure out once it comes from them."

James said he sent an e-mail to Howard following Saturday's game.

"It's hard for me to congratulate somebody after you just lose to them," he said. "I'm a winner. It's not being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you're not going to congratulate them. That doesn't make sense to me. I'm a competitor. That's what I do. It doesn't make sense for me to go over and shake somebody's hand."

Sounds very competitive, at the same time why not pay homage to the team that was better than your team? Either way, there you go....

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 07:00 PM
even with the text to Howard..it still isn't good enough...

Jalen Rose said it best on NBA after show...

very disappointed in LBJ antics...

niko
05-31-2009, 07:00 PM

Sounds very competitive, at the same time why not pay homage to the team that was better than your team? Either way, there you go....

He gets a one time pass on it, but no, it wasn't ok - it was being a sore loser and made him look bad. Sometimes you need to do things you don't want to do, he's a special player but he's not a special person who gets to act like a jerk when he loses and it's ok. He's completely wrong.

PleezeBelieve
05-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Man, those extension comments sounds VERY encouraging i you're a Cavs fan. If they would have won it, that might have sealed the deal.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 07:03 PM
He gets a one time pass on it, but no, it wasn't ok - it was being a sore loser and made him look bad. Sometimes you need to do things you don't want to do, he's a special player but he's not a special person who gets to act like a jerk when he loses and it's ok. He's completely wrong.

exactly...LBJ think he's competitive by not congratulating the team that whooped him??? wtf!!! his attitude needs to change...

sore loser..

[B]sports⋅man⋅ship
  /ˈspɔrtsmənˌʃɪp, ˈspoʊrts-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [spawrts-muhn-ship, spohrts-] Show IPA

Eldrunko247
Poor sport

boozehound
he did it last year as well didnt he?

theballerFKA Ace
"I don't know," James said when asked if he'll sign. "I haven't thought about it just yet. I'm just going to take time off from basketball and not think about contracts or the game period. I'll relax with my family we'll figure out once it comes from them."

Translation: Eff Cleveland, Eff Mike Brown and Eff my weak excuse for a team. Heeeeeeelllllllooooooo MSG, the NY nightlife and Spike Lee biting at my ankles.

RocketGreatness
05-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Let's face it he's going to New York. He probably just left early to get his early plane ticket to New York in the summer of 2010. He probably also talked on the cell phone with D. Wade to persuade him to come with him.

LeBron is going to New York, He's leaving Grieveland.

Foster5k
05-31-2009, 07:05 PM
And now the flood gates have been open...

"I don't know," James said when asked if he'll sign.

:lol

Uh oh. All I'm going to say is.. the Knick's fans now have even more ammo, to use, when talking about possibly getting Lebron.

On another note...

Lebron James is a different beast. Yes, it would seem logical to show good sportsmanship and shake the other guy's hand, however that is logical to some and not logical to others. Good sportsmanship is a matter of opinion. Everyone wants Lebron to be someone, who is this great sportsmanship type of player, who will congratulate opponents, etc. The truth is. He is human. Humans sometimes get mad and upset. I don't hold what he did against him. It was, in the heat of the moment, and people can say they would have did this or would have did that.

But.. you don't know what you will do, once you're in that situation.

Anyhow, I'm glad he at least spoke about the situation. That shows he took time to reflect on it. Something other NBA players wouldn't even have considered. So, he get props for that.

But yeah.. the flood gates are opening. Lebron might be leaving Cleveland. :D (Notice I said might..)

asd
05-31-2009, 07:06 PM
I'd be pretty mad too if i were the best player in the game, and my team lost. Sportsmanship?

Anything short of Lebron inviting the Magic over to his place for crumpets and tea would have disappointed you pansies.

PleezeBelieve
05-31-2009, 07:07 PM
As far as I know LeBron has been walking off the court after a playoff loss since going back to his high school days.

If he loses next year, should be interesting to see if he does the same thing as well. He make take the criticism and say shove it. 'I do me type' thing.

niko
05-31-2009, 07:08 PM
he did it last year as well didnt he?
really? yeah, that's just poor sportmanship. i'm not feeling that.

Basically, the situation over there is that Lebron does whatever he likes, but he just happens to be an ok guy so it works out, right? They never tell him he is wrong, etc. Because his team looked TERRIFIED last night to screw up. And he doesn't yell at them, never freezes them out, never throws them under the bus. So what is the deal? Are they afraid they piss him off and he leaves?

i'm just wondering. this isn't Lebron bashing, he was A,B and C for his team this series and he seems like a great guy. But for all the chemistry that team supposably had, everyone was super super tight and no one every adjusted their game.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 07:08 PM
I live in NYC...LBJ coming to NYC would be great..However, does the BRICKS have enough talent to win the title?

.LBJ will be 26 after 2010..The BRICKS needs several years after LBJ to be a contender...LBJ will be 29 or 30?? HmMMM

niko
05-31-2009, 07:10 PM
BTW, this HE'S SO SPECIAL AND INTENSE that it's ok he's a bad sport is BS. we all lose things we don't want to lose. we all need to suck it up. i won't apoligize for not being in his shoes, i wish i was, and i'd suck it up and say GOOD GAME and then go off and be super pissed. remember, he didn't just walk off. he also ditched the media. that means your team has to take the criticism in your place. that's not cool.

haterofhaters
05-31-2009, 07:11 PM
If that's not being a poor sport, I don't know what is.. Even ultra competitive Kobe cogratulated the Celtics before he left the court in last years finals/demolition derby.

JayGuevara
05-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Him throwing chalk in the air doesn't make sense to me, but apparently it's his ritual. So now it's expected.

Failing classes in high school for too many absences didn't make sense to me, if you could pass your tests and do your ****, why did it matter if I showed up?

Some thing may not always make sense, but you deal with em when they're expected of you, it's the ****in way she goes.

Wasn't it LeBron semi-recently leavin the floor before the clock had even ran out against like Atlanta or somethin? I don't remember now. :confusedshrug:

thejumpa
05-31-2009, 07:12 PM
:rockon:

A Sonics fan on ISH? That's what the **** I'm talking about.

Lebron is not going to NY. I repeat, Lebron is not going to NY. If he does, there goes a ring.....at ANY point in his career.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 07:13 PM
BTW, this HE'S SO SPECIAL AND INTENSE that it's ok he's a bad sport is BS. we all lose things we don't want to lose. we all need to suck it up. i won't apoligize for not being in his shoes, i wish i was, and i'd suck it up and say GOOD GAME and then go off and be super pissed. remember, he didn't just walk off. he also ditched the media. that means your team has to take the criticism in your place. that's not cool.

Exactly...Jalen Rose said it best..If LBJ won the ECF finals..LBJ would be sitting at the press conference with his ECF hat backward, nice expensive suit, and big giddy smile...

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 07:14 PM
If that's not being a poor sport, I don't know what is.. Even ultra competitive Kobe cogratulated the Celtics before he left the court in last years finals/demolition derby.

true, major poor sportsmanship...that's sad...for such a great player..

Mikaiel
05-31-2009, 07:15 PM

Maybe because he thinks his team was the better team and that the Magic did not win this series, it's his own team that lost it.

And for all those that say he's a poor sport, have you ever played competitively ? And congratulating the other team makes no damn sense. When you say "Good game" to the other team, there are only 2 scenarios :

1. You mean it. You feel the other team deserved to win because they played great. That means you accept defeat and you're a loser.

2. You don't mean it. In that case you're a hypocrite.

Foster5k
05-31-2009, 07:15 PM

Some people thought it was uncool, for Dwight to take that one second 3. I didn't. I thought it was just for fun and laughs. However, the point is, everything is up in the air and people can't really say, "Ah. Lebron is a poor sport, etc."

He has congratulated teams, before, when he has lost. This lost just meant more, to him than any other. We don't know how Lebron felt, after losing game 6. No one but Lebron felt those emotions and we don't know what we would have done, if we would of felt those same emotions.

Losing that game 6, to Lebron, could of felt like losing his best friend or something. We just don't know. Just don't try and pretend like, you knew how Lebron felt and if you felt that way, you would of did differently. That is just bs.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 07:17 PM
And for all those that say he's a poor sport, have you ever played competitively ? And congratulating the other team makes no damn sense. .

JUST STOP PLEASE................

your parents obviously raised you wrong...

KobeRules24
05-31-2009, 07:19 PM
lebron is a sore loser :violin:

32jazz
05-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Non issue.

The media bringng up Lebron's 'supposed' arrogance at having the audacity not to talk with them after a game.:rolleyes: Sound's more like media arrogance to me considering Lebron is gracious about 99.9% of the time with the media.

The media should get over themselves as well.

thejumpa
05-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Maybe because he thinks his team was the better team and that the Magic did not win this series, it's his own team that lost it.

And for all those that say he's a poor sport, have you ever played competitively ? And congratulating the other team makes no damn sense. When you say "Good game" to the other team, there are only 2 scenarios :

1. You mean it. You feel the other team deserved to win because they played great. That means you accept defeat and you're a loser.

Exactly. In most cases, it's #2. Nobody hear has played for as high of stakes as the Cavs did in Game 6. What you would or wouldn't have done is irrelevant. I congratulate the opponent sometimes, sometimes I don't and think in my head "damn, **** that team". That's how a human operates...

CarpeDiemKJ
05-31-2009, 07:21 PM
Funny. How do you think the opposing team feels, when you go over and dap them up?

Darkthug
05-31-2009, 07:22 PM
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2478/kobelebron.png (http://img198.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kobelebron.png)

NewYorkUSCtrojan
Non issue.

The media bringng up Lebron's 'supposed' arrogance at having the audacity not to talk with them after a game.:rolleyes: Sound's more like media arrogance to me considering Lebron is gracious about 99.9% of the time with the media.

The media should get over themselves as well.

the media made LBJ with all their coverages on him...for him to bounce and leave mo fking williams at the press conference is whacked...who the hell is mo williams..the media, the fans, the players, the city of cle, deserved more...

ROCSteady
Man, those extension comments sounds VERY encouraging i you're a Cavs fan. If they would have won it, that might have sealed the deal.

You sound naive. Bron can't be the first billion dollar athlete playing in the Cleveland market. Period. It's far too quaint for his aspirations. 99% he won't sign an extension that's offered in July. He just needs to be politically correct after his rep was tarnished so he has to appease his fans by acting as if this is even an option

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 07:23 PM
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2478/kobelebron.png (http://img198.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kobelebron.png)

DAMN

Richie2k6
05-31-2009, 07:25 PM
I don't think that's being a poor sport. After losing one of the biggest games of your life no I don't think that was disrespectful on Lebron's part.

JayGuevara
05-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Exactly. In most cases, it's #2. Nobody hear has played for as high of stakes as the Cavs did in Game 6. What you would or wouldn't have done is irrelevant. I congratulate the opponent sometimes, sometimes I don't and think in my head "damn, **** that team". That's how a human operates...

Didn't I see a touching shot of a warm embrace between Kobe and Melo the other night? The stakes were the same there, and as far as I recall, the "Thuggets" congratulated the Lakers. If "thugs" can be good sports, so can a "king"

Sriracha
05-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Seriously, as passionate as some of you are about the game wouldn't you want your player to be piss off because they lose? What Lebron did was OK in my book.

Foster5k
05-31-2009, 07:29 PM
You sound naive. Bron can't be the first billion dollar athlete playing in the Cleveland market. Period. It's far too quaint for his aspirations. 99% he won't sign an extension that's offered in July. He just needs to be politically correct after his rep was tarnished so he has to appease his fans by acting as if this is even an option

You know. At first, some of the Cleveland fans were kinda swinging me towards the, "Lebron is staying in Cleveland." fence. However, after reading the comments, by Lebron and after seeing Lebron just leave Mo Williams, the Cleveland fans, the media, etc behind and not want to be bothered, after the game 6 lost, I'm re-thinking the situation.

Lebron could very well not re-sign, with Cleveland. However, I think he has to really weigh his options carefully. Obviously, he is in the drivers seat.

He can either stay at Cleveland and make money and possibly never win a championship, or he could move somewhere else and make money and possibly never win a championship. Money, basically at this point is a non-issue. He just wants to win now.

Who knows where Lebron will end up. I do know one thing. The Knick's fans are somewhere smiling.

CarpeDiemKJ
05-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Word. The Nuggets gave props. Even Dahntay Jones and OG K-Mart gave respect. LeBron sucks. I can't wait until tomorrow when Skip Bayless eats this dude alive.

niko
05-31-2009, 07:33 PM

no, it's because if you participate in a league and ESPECIALLY when you are friendly with the other people (like he is) it's disrespectful to do what he did. when you meet people they say hi and put out their hand. half of those people i bet you couldn't give a flying **** about. do you pull your hand away? but you aren't really happy to meet them, right? but you say it, and shake, because that's the rules the world plays under. lebron is not above ettiquete. don't get me wrong, it doesn't make him a monster. but if he does this, he better expect to catch flack about it - and he can't argue against the flack because he's breaking ettiquite.

welcome to the world - that's how it works.

CroqueMort
05-31-2009, 07:34 PM
remember, he didn't just walk off. he also ditched the media. that means your team has to take the criticism in your place. that's not cool.

That is probably the best comment I have heard about this situation. In one sentence he kinda says it all.

Nevertheless I think the hate that Lebron is getting on this comment "just" because he has dodged the media is way out of proportion. The guy is only like what.... 24, by nature He is going to do or say some really stupid stuff once in a while.

32jazz
05-31-2009, 07:34 PM
the media made LBJ

Probably the same arrogant sentiments the media has. His mother/father made him, Lebron's hard work/dedication/natural born gifts made him,etc.....

They have the right to not cover him anytime they please.:confusedshrug:There are no ESPN's/sports media of the world without athletes like like Lebron/Kobe. Great athletes have thrived centuries before the media/Madison ave. decided to overhype them ie(Jordan/Lebron,etc...)

thejumpa
05-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Didn't I see a touching shot of a warm embrace between Kobe and Melo the other night? The stakes were the same there, and as far as I recall, the "Thuggets" congratulated the Lakers. If "thugs" can be good sports, so can a "king"

Thugs? who are you talking about. I hope your not like most people who look a ball player with tats who catches a weed charge and label them thugs...

Yeah, the stakes were the same but hey, weren't Kobe and Carmelo best friends during the Olympics? big difference man. Most people here in his position would have been pissed and did something similar to what he did....including you.

GOBB
05-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Seriously, as passionate as some of you are about the game wouldn't you want your player to be piss off because they lose? What Lebron did was OK in my book.

Your book is one where you cant find the words class, sportsmanship, showmanship among other terms. Shame. The fact his peers and those who cover the game (among those who praise him like a King) frown upon his actions says alot. All Bron has shown from his actions and now words?

He is a sore loser...and well that is OK with you in your book.

rawimpact
05-31-2009, 07:36 PM
If Ron and Kobe can give each other a hug at the end of the series, then lebron should be able to congratulate the magic.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Your book is one where you cant find the words class, sportsmanship, showmanship among other terms. Shame. The fact his peers and those who cover the game (among those who praise him like a King) frown upon his actions says alot. All Bron has shown from his actions and now words?

He is a sore loser...and well that is OK with you in your book.

:applause:

:cheers:

Foster5k
05-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Word. The Nuggets gave props. Even Dahntay Jones and OG K-Mart gave respect. LeBron sucks. I can't wait until tomorrow when Skip Bayless eats this dude alive.

Lebron hater.

If Skip Bayless goes off on Lebron, and says absolutely nothing about all the good he has done for the Cavs, then Skip Bayless is the real poor sport and not Lebron, in my opinion.

You can't compare Melo to Lebron. They both have different personalities. Things Melo would do Lebron wouldn't and things Lebron would do Melo wouldn't. People are people they have different characteristics. Is Lebron characteristically a poor sport? Not really. Obviously, in some people's eyes he is and others he isn't. He has been a good sport majority of the time. I don't know why one or two games will make someone labeled a poor sport.

dak121
05-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Time for Stern to make a 'mandatory handshake' rule this summer. He would probably think that something like this is more important than fixing his rulebook.

Mikaiel
05-31-2009, 07:39 PM
no, it's because if you participate in a league and ESPECIALLY when you are friendly with the other people (like he is) it's disrespectful to do what he did. when you meet people they say hi and put out their hand. half of those people i bet you couldn't give a flying **** about. do you pull your hand away? but you aren't really happy to meet them, right? but you say it, and shake, because that's the rules the world plays under. lebron is not above ettiquete. don't get me wrong, it doesn't make him a monster. but if he does this, he better expect to catch flack about it - and he can't argue against the flack because he's breaking ettiquite.

welcome to the world - that's how it works.

Do you really think the Magic players give a f*ck whether LeBron congratulates them or not ? They don't. They were too busy celebrating. I seriously don't see where the big deal is.

GOBB
05-31-2009, 07:39 PM

:roll: True.

Foster5k
05-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Time for Stern to make a 'mandatory handshake' rule this summer. He would probably think that something like this is more important than fixing his rulebook.

That would be the dumbest rule ever.

That would take away any legit idea of sportsmanship.

That's like forcing someone to donate money. You give, because you want to, because that is part of your life's philosophy, to give to others.(or in some cases, PR moves..etc)

But anyways.. like I said.. that rule would be dumb as hell.

If Stern does that, he dumber than I thought he was. You can't make players shake hands or make someone show good sportsmanship. That defeats the purpose of sportsmanship.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 07:42 PM
This is not a LBJ hate thread...

This is about having class and great sportsmanship..Which he's lacks..

However, if LBJ continues to act like this..I can see him being hated more than KOBE BRYANT...

GOBB
Do you really think the Magic players give a f*ck whether LeBron congratulates them or not ? They don't. They were too busy celebrating. I seriously don't see where the big deal is.

:roll: Trying to rationalize this? Its almost as silly as me trying to do it with Allen Iverson "whats important about practice? Not like I can make them better anyway". You're a Cavs fan and the bias meter is off the charts.

Why dont you and other fans who support Bron's action pull a Bron. Yanno SAY NOTHING and DISAPPEAR (from threads like this of course not in general).

What next? Your mom didnt care about Brons actions so whats the big deal? :hammerhead:

CroqueMort
If "thugs" can be good sports, so can a "king"

King James.... that is the worst nickname I have ever heard..... Never seen a King with no kingdom ( a bunch of rings in that case ). You see once again how the media can create an image.

It was a bad move, but we all know that as a 24 years old he is not going to act as a 30-35 years all leader.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 07:44 PM

:roll:

QUEEN JAMES will still walk off the court like a pouty little girl..LBJ would get fined..A mere 25,000k is nothing to him..

dak121
05-31-2009, 07:44 PM

That's like forcing someone to donate money. You give, because you want to, because that is your part of your life's philosophy, to give to others.(or in some cases, PR moves..etc)

If Stern does that, he dumber than I thought he was. You can't make players shake hands or make someone show good sportsmanship. That defeats the purpose of sportsmanship.

Age limits, dress codes, etc. Those are the things that Stern truly cares about. Proper, consistent officiating made by refs that can capably do their job? Near the bottom.

vert48
05-31-2009, 07:45 PM
The last time something like this happened, where it was a big deal, was when the Bulls beat the defending champion Pistons. The starters for the Pistons were on the bench at the end of the game, and went into the locker room before the game ended. Losers.

GOBB
This is not a LBJ hate thread...

This is about having class and great sportsmanship..Which he's lacks..

However, if LBJ continues to act like this..I can see him being hated more than KOBE BRYANT...

Thats the problem which is a bit sad. That people can praise, applaud and boost Lebron in the clouds. But criticize him when its warranted? Tough pill to swallow. Bron is still the leagues MVP. Bron still is a beast/nightmare to cover. Bron is still arguably the best in the game. Bron is still a player majority of fans would love on thier team. Bron is still a great player before this incident and after. But call it like it is. And fans cant do it. :oldlol:

NewYorkUSCtrojan
It was a bad move, but we all know that as a 24 years old he is not going to act as a 30-35 years all leader.

Age has nothing to do with this..A classy person is a classy person..QUEEN JAMES has no class..

The sad thing is..LBJ has 2 kids...

JustinJDW
05-31-2009, 07:46 PM
The thing is LBJ, Kevin Garnett will be healthy next Season, so you probably won't win it next year either. :confusedshrug:

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 07:47 PM
Thats the problem which is a bit sad. That people can praise, applaud and boost Lebron in the clouds. But criticize him when its warranted? Tough pill to swallow. Bron is still the leagues MVP. Bron still is a beast/nightmare to cover. Bron is still arguably the best in the game. Bron is still a player majority of fans would love on thier team. Bron is still a great player before this incident and after. But call it like it is. And fans cant do it. :oldlol:

exactly, GOBB...

exactly.....

Mikaiel
05-31-2009, 07:48 PM
:roll: Trying to rationalize this? Its almost as silly as me trying to do it with Allen Iverson "whats important about practice? Not like I can make them better anyway". You're a Cavs fan and the bias meter is off the charts.

Why dont you and other fans who support Bron's action pull a Bron. Yanno SAY NOTHING and DISAPPEAR (from threads like this of course not in general).

What next? Your mom didnt care about Brons actions so whats the big deal? :hammerhead:

When I played basketball, I used to do the exact same thing. I know it's considered being a poor sport. What I don't know is why people can't see you gotta be either a loser or a hypocrite to do something like this.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 07:48 PM

:oldlol: just spit out my dr. pepper,,,laughing so hard...

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 07:50 PM
The thing is LBJ, Kevin Garnett will be healthy next Season, so you probably won't win it next year either. :confusedshrug:

Than QUEEN JAMES will walk off the court again without giving handshakes and congratulatory gestures..LBJ gotta becareful...Soon he will be the hated one..Am being serious...

The media and fans can turn on him in a heart beat..

Foster5k
05-31-2009, 07:50 PM
The question is.. Is Lebron a poor sport?

I have to say no. I'm not going to base his conduct, on 1 to 3 games, where he has shown, in the opinion, of others, to have bad/poor sportsmanship. People have stated he did some stuff like this, in Highschool. I'm not going to take that into account, because people change and grow, etc.

While in the NBA, Lebron, in my opinion, has shown great sportsmanship and leadership. People seem to forget all the times he has shown great sportsmanship, and will just point at game 6 or another play-off lost, as him showing bad sportsmanship.

Bad sportsmanship, to me, is consistently being a poor loser. Lebron hasn't shown, in his NBA career thus far, that he is a consistently poor loser.

That is my opinion. I'm sure others feel the same. I'm also sure others feel the complete opposite.

thejumpa
05-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Than QUEEN JAMES will walk off the court again without giving handshakes and congratulatory gestures..LBJ gotta becareful...Soon he will be the hated one..Am being serious...

The media and fans can turn on him in a heart beat..

Judging by your recent posts.....it seems you already do hate the guy. Him not congratulating Orlando just gave you more reason to hate him. I love it how people want to throw around the label "sore loser" and "poor sportmansship", but then throw around "childish" and "immature" nicknames like Queen James.

And yeah, the media and fans are really going to turn on a guy for ONE game. Even if he did it in 20 games....nobody really gives a **** because it isn't a big deal. My parents raised me fine and I'm not going to congratulate a team every single ****ing time....especially not in crucial moments.

Laker4Lyfe
05-31-2009, 07:56 PM
The question is.. Is Lebron a poor sport?

I have to say no. I'm not going to base his conduct, on 1 to 3 games, where he has shown, in the opinion, of others, to have bad/poor sportsmanship. People have stated he did some stuff like this, in Highschool. I'm not going to take that into account, because people change and grow, etc.

While in the NBA, Lebron, in my opinion, has shown great sportsmanship and leadership. People seem to forget all the times he has shown great sportsmanship, and will just point at game 6 or another play-off lost, as him showing bad sportsmanship.

Bad sportsmanship, to me, is consistently being a poor loser. Lebron hasn't shown, in his NBA career thus far, that he is a consistently poor loser.

That is my opinion. I'm sure others feel the same. I'm also sure others feel the complete opposite.

Yes he has, he did the same thing last year.

Somewhere in this thread someone has already said he's been doing it since high school. That I find hard to believe, I mean what sort of hs coach would allow that to happen?? :confusedshrug:

Anyway LeBron is a GREAT player but he needs to work on that sportsmanship, rather lack of sportsmanship problem.

Mikaiel
05-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Could someone please tell me where the big deal is ? I seriously don't understand. It's just a stupid convention. If you've just won a game, do you really care if the other team doesn't congratulate you ? I sure don't. Winning the game is enough satisfaction for me. And I don't need a bunch of hypocrites telling me we played a good game, because they certainly don't think so.

tastystaci
05-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Could someone please tell me where the big deal is ? I seriously don't understand. It's just a stupid convention. If you've just won a game, do you really care if the other team doesn't congratulate you ? I sure don't. Winning the game is enough satisfaction for me. And I don't need a bunch of hypocrites telling me we played a good game, because they certainly don't think so.

It's about respect for your opponents and the f*ckin' game that has made you a millionaire. Have you ever seen the end of a hockey series. These guys beat the sh*t out of each other(literally), then at the end they line up and shake the opponents hands. Is it that hard to understand? Just the fact that he's been doing this since high school shows the kind of class he has, which I never thought was in question until this.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 08:07 PM
It's about respect for your opponents and the f*ckin' game that has made you a millionaire. Have you ever seen the end of a hockey series. These guys beat the sh*t out of each other(literally), then at the end they line up and shake the opponents hands. Is it that hard to understand? Just the fact that he's been doing this since high school shows the kind of class he has, which I never thought was in question until this.

The dude is a classless tool...He/she will never get it...

KingLeBronJames
05-31-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm very disappointed in LeBron. Poor sportsmanship. His comments. I'm kinda shocked at seeing him wearing the NY hat during the interview on ESPN news. :banghead:

niko
05-31-2009, 08:11 PM

he lost, and didn't have the balls to man up and say congrats to the other team and he left his teammates to face the million media who were just there to talk to him. he did something wrong so he is being criticized. he's not above reproach. it doesn't mean he's not super epic great, we all know he is. but if you lose, you man up, especially if you are the leader. you don't leave your teammates there by themselves to answer questions fairly or unfairly that are aimed at you.

RaininThrees
05-31-2009, 08:12 PM

That's like forcing someone to donate money. You give, because you want to, because that is part of your life's philosophy, to give to others.(or in some cases, PR moves..etc)

I don't think it should be mandated, but it sure as hell would look good. The NHL does it after every playoff series (including the final), and it's not mandated, it's "just done".

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/49357/may11gm6033.jpg

About Lebron and not shaking hands congratulating... you learn more about a person in defeat than in victory, and I think we learned a lot about Lebron after the game.

Eldrunko247
05-31-2009, 08:17 PM
It's about having some damn humility. Lebron got his ass handed to him on a platter despite having the world in his hands. It's the arrogance and sense of entitlement people have a problem with. It's like he thinks he's above having to go over and congratulate the other team. Ultra competitive my ass. MMA fighters beat the crap out of each other and still hug it out afterwords because they have respect for the sport and their opponents. Some people just can't come to grips. Lebron is one of them.

Mikaiel
05-31-2009, 08:18 PM
he lost, and didn't have the balls to man up and say congrats to the other team and he left his teammates to face the million media who were just there to talk to him. he did something wrong so he is being criticized. he's not above reproach. it doesn't mean he's not super epic great, we all know he is. but if you lose, you man up, especially if you are the leader. you don't leave your teammates there by themselves to answer questions fairly or unfairly that are aimed at you.

So in other words, you do it because you have to, even if there's no logical reason behind it ?

RaininThrees
05-31-2009, 08:19 PM
So in other words, you do it because you have to, even if there's no logical reason behind it ?

The logical reason behind it is decency and sportsmanship.

He's a professional. Act like one. Be humble in victory and gracious in defeat. Is that seriously too much to ask?

Foster5k
05-31-2009, 08:21 PM
About Lebron and not shaking hands congratulating... you learn more about a person in defeat than in victory, and I think we learned a lot about Lebron after the game.

Yes. We learn that Lebron gets angry, after losing. Who doesn't? His anger was just so great, at that moment, in time, that he walked off the court.

He didn't yell. He didn't fight. He didn't curse.

All he did was walk off the court. That might be considered bad sportsmanship, to some, but it's at a very small degree, in my opinion.

You can be a really bad sport or a somewhat bad sport. I think Lebron only can be considered a low level bad sport, at max. I don't even consider him a bad sport, because I'm not going to base it on these play-offs games. I'm basing it on the majority of his loses, in the NBA, where I have seen him, be a good sport.

niko
05-31-2009, 08:24 PM

there is a logical reason behind it. it's called having respect for the other team and the game. lebron wants to be the spokesperson for the nba practically, the leader of the cavs and a worldwide icon. and he can't be a good sport? (Note: the sport sets the conventions of what is a good sport and not, the same way society sets rules for what is polite or not) i'm sure if you sat down there are a ton of things you do that you probably don't think are necessary just because they are conventions of how things are done. and when you don't do them, you get criticized. no one is suggesting lebron be punished.

being a leader and being a man means doing things you don't necessarily want to do, or think are necessary, because you just have to. like staying to answer questions after you lose so your teammates are not thrown under the bus, or shaking the other teams hand so you appear a good sport.

he messed up. i don't think one of the things lebron stands for is poor sportsmanship, but walking away when you lose is rude and disrespectful and being a poor sport. he doesn't get to change the rules because he's the best player ive probably ever seen.

JayGuevara
05-31-2009, 08:25 PM

Just like damn near everything in life. Stop trying to justify/rationalize his actions, they were unsportsmanlike, the end.

Laker4Lyfe
05-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Just saw LeBron on the news, he was wearing a NY hat is that a sign?? :eek::confusedshrug:

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Are these guys defending LBJ action really this stupid?

:wtf:

Johnni Gade
05-31-2009, 08:28 PM
he'll be back

niko
05-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Are these guys defending LBJ action really this stupid?

:wtf:

people can't differentiate between criticism and reproach or rejection. saying lebron ****ed up feels equivalent to renouncing their fandom of the team. that's the only thing i can gleam from it.

Foster5k
05-31-2009, 08:31 PM
Just saw LeBron on the news, he was wearing a NY hat is that a sign?? :eek::confusedshrug:

If Lebron wasn't planning on leaving Cleveland, I doubt he would give people stuff like this to feed on. I could be very wrong, but I think he isn't going to re-sign, with them.

CoryThaGr8
05-31-2009, 08:32 PM

And for all those that say he's a poor sport, have you ever played competitively ?

niko
05-31-2009, 08:34 PM

why does every player not named Lebron able to do it then? stop talking like it's normal. if you stalk off like an angry ***** people generally say "what a *****, he can't take losing" and laugh while you stomp off. They don't say "wow you are so great and competitive"

cotdt
05-31-2009, 08:37 PM

I noticed that too!

Mikaiel
05-31-2009, 08:38 PM
people can't differentiate between criticism and reproach or rejection. saying lebron ****ed up feels equivalent to renouncing their fandom of the team. that's the only thing i can gleam from it.

I understand it's not about the LeBron the player. It's about LeBron the person because he didn't follow proper etiquette. What I don't understand is why is this such a big deal ? Because I myself don't see anything wrong with it and I don't see how congratulating the other team makes sense. Especially after a big loss.

And I did the exact same thing when I used to play. It's not really about LeBron.

cavsfanatic
05-31-2009, 08:43 PM
Lol @ u idiots. Wade said the same thing bout his contract. Why would he say yea I'm gonna sign it and lose his leverage? Oh yea like he said the magic beat him up so wtf would u go over and shake they hand. I would have done same thing. I can tell y'all never played sports a day in y'all life.

Kensta
05-31-2009, 08:45 PM
I understand it's not about the LeBron the player. It's about LeBron the person because he didn't follow proper etiquette. What I don't understand is why is this such a big deal ? Because I myself don't see anything wrong with it and I don't see how congratulating the other team makes sense. Especially after a big loss.

And I did the exact same thing when I used to play. It's not really about LeBron.

If LeBron can't give a congrats, then he shouldn't accept it too. Next time he wins a series, or game, he should go into the locker room right away. If he does this then I have no problem with him not congratulating anyone.

cavsfanatic
05-31-2009, 08:48 PM
A knicks hat?...o u said a yankees hat? The same yankees hat he's been wearing since his rookie year? He wore a cowboys hat to the browns game last year. I guess he's gonna go to the mavericks huh? Lol @ people reaching

cotdt
05-31-2009, 08:50 PM
A knicks hat?...o u said a yankees hat? The same yankees hat he's been wearing since his rookie year? He wore a cowboys hat to the browns game last year. I guess he's gonna go to the mavericks huh? Lol @ people reaching

LOL @ the shock on your face a year from now.

daily
05-31-2009, 08:53 PM
Your opinon is your own and you have every right to ask what the big deal is. But it's one of those "if you have to ask" moments. If you have to ask you either don't get it, don't care to get it or don't care because it's Lebron James and your player of choice.

The fact is in every sport for as long as man has played sports it has always been considered good sportsmanship for the warriors to shake hands at the end of a game or match to show that there is no hard feelings, that what happened in the arena will stay in the arena. During a game players get heated, mad at the other team, they pound on each other, tempers flare words are exchanged. when it's done it's considered a sign of good will for the beaten players to acknowledge the winner.

"you got me this time but next time I'll be standing at the end" type of thing.

To walk off the floor without saying a word is a slap in the face of the players he just spent 6 games being at war with. But more so it's a slap in the face of his teammates that did stay behind and exchange hands with the Magic players, as if he's too good to clean up after himself. It seem like he has has elevated himself to a level higher than anyone else. His talents elevate him head and shoulder beyond the other players but his attitude in the loss drops him right back onto the elementary school playground.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan

fcuking ediot thinks he is bigger than the game...ridiculous statement....A great warriors is a 1 who accept defeats and learn from it...

Fcuk LEcrap

niko

not congratulating the other team after a normal loss (they didn't cheat, it wasn't controversial) is just rude. honestly, i'm sure you are a ok guy but the other team probably thought you couldn't handle losing and were a bit of a loser. that's what i would think about someone who stormed off after they lost.

i played a game where the ump hated me and squeezed me to death (i pitch) and just stomped off, cause i felt i was cheated. but if you are not cheated and just lose, you got to take your lumps like a man.

i really don't get people defending this. if you understand WHY that's great, but it's still poor sportmanship. THE END.

cavsfanatic
05-31-2009, 08:54 PM
LOL @ the shock on your face a year from now. lol @ u being a psychic. What's the lottery numbers for tomorrow? Look @ my location. I see lebron all the time he love it here

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 08:56 PM
If it was KOBE...Everyone on this board will be calling him a sore loser..LAKERS fans, Lakers haters, etcs....

I don't understand these QUEEN JAMES fans...What a bunch of sore losers...

knickscity
05-31-2009, 08:57 PM

I thought you was gonna ban yourself????

cavsfanatic
05-31-2009, 08:58 PM
fcuking ediot thinks he is bigger than the game...ridiculous statement....A great warriors is a 1 who accept defeats and learn from it...

Fcuk LEcrap
Let's go play 1 on 1 and everytime u go to the hole I hit you in the head and hack u. See if u would shake my hand afterwards.

niko
05-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Note: you don't need to give people hugs or talk to them for 20 minutes or even say anything. you can just walk by, pat people on the back, small fist bump, a freaking angry nod. ANYTHING. maybe it sounds like we are asking lebron to do this horrid hypocritical things but you don't have to congratulate the other team, you just need to acknowledge it was a good series and you don't hate each other despite what happened the last 6 games.

its not im glad you won, its we are cool now and its done.

niko
05-31-2009, 09:00 PM
I thought you was gonna ban yourself????
lebron gets asked about an extension and he says he's not sure and he needs to talk to his family. very encourating, if you are not a cavs fan.

seriously, if hes staying, at some point is he going to say at least ONE sentance that doesn't contain an out that he may leave.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 09:00 PM
Let's go play 1 on 1 and everytime u go to the hole I hit you in the head and hack u. See if u would shake my hand afterwards.

You're an idiot..

Danhtay Jones push, hack, and trip KOBE all series long..They both hug and gave each other props at the end..

Your girl QUEEN JAMES is WHACKED - face it sucka...

cavsfanatic
05-31-2009, 09:04 PM
If it was KOBE...Everyone on this board will be calling him a sore loser..LAKERS fans, Lakers haters, etcs....

I don't understand these QUEEN JAMES fans...What a bunch of sore losers...
Don't say everybody cuz I wouldn't have been like these lil f@gs are. Like I said b4 if u played the game and the other team and they were hacking u and talking trash after every shot ud do the same. I played in high school and I did the same thing. Not bout being a sore loser but if you don't respect the team ya not gonna shake hands unless u fake

NewYorkUSCtrojan
05-31-2009, 09:05 PM
Don't say everybody cuz I wouldn't have been like these lil f@gs are. Like I said b4 if u played the game and the other team and they were hacking u and talking trash after every shot ud do the same. I played in high school and I did the same thing. Not bout being a sore loser but if you don't respect the team ya not gonna shake hands unless u fake

You mean you were a bench warmer in high school..You're stupid...

PEACE

Kensta
05-31-2009, 09:05 PM

Wizards did that to him last year and he shook their hands. Oh wait, Cleveland won the series thats why.

JayGuevara
05-31-2009, 09:09 PM

So either Ohio is breeding grounds for unsportsmanlike conduct, or it's just a bizarre coincidence that the Cavs fans don't see a problem with his actions but everyone else (neutral parties) see it as being a poor sport.

Interesting.

cavsfanatic
05-31-2009, 09:10 PM
You're an idiot..

Danhtay Jones push, hack, and trip KOBE all series long..They both hug and gave each other props at the end..

Your girl QUEEN JAMES is WHACKED - face it sucka...
Kobe shouldn't have shook his hand at all. Kobe won so he didn't care

jazz873
05-31-2009, 09:10 PM
i dont really see what the big deal is. he walked off the court and back to the locker rooms after a tough series where he gave it his all. he was probably frustrated and heated and just wanted to cool down. sure the right thing to do would be congratulating them right there after the game but for all we know he could congratulated them later on. some people are more competitive then others and take losses harder. everyone has their own opinion and that is just mine.

cavsfanatic
05-31-2009, 09:13 PM
So either Ohio is breeding grounds for unsportsmanlike conduct, or it's just a bizarre coincidence that the Cavs fans don't see a problem with his actions but everyone else (neutral parties) see it as being a poor sport.

Interesting.
Ha maybe so lol. It could have been kobe,wade,howard,shaq that did it. It don't bother me at all.

Godfather
05-31-2009, 09:18 PM
He didn't take dirty cheapshots.

He didn't talk trash.

He didn't showboat.

But because he walked off the court after being eliminated in an extremely frustrating fashion he is a poor sportsman.

cavsfanatic
05-31-2009, 09:19 PM
You mean you were a bench warmer in high school..You're stupid...

PEACElol u funny. Id dominate you if I was 16 and u was in yo prime. I was a good player in high school u piece of trash

niko
05-31-2009, 09:20 PM
He didn't take dirty cheapshots.

He didn't talk trash.

He didn't showboat.

But because he walked off the court after being eliminated in an extremely frustrating fashion he is a poor sportsman.

it doesn't make him overall a poor sport, but he exhibited bad sportmanship in this occasion, yes.

btw, did everyone forget also he refused to talk to reporters and left his poor teammates to answer the one million reporters waiting for him and him alone?

Butters
05-31-2009, 09:24 PM

Translation

Ref's did not bail me out
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

bleedinpurpleTwo
05-31-2009, 09:26 PM
I suppose I was just raised differently...in a diff era.

Godfather
05-31-2009, 09:27 PM
it doesn't make him overall a poor sport, but he exhibited bad sportmanship in this occasion, yes.

btw, did everyone forget also he refused to talk to reporters and left his poor teammates to answer the one million reporters waiting for him and him alone?
"His poor teammates"...

Mo Williams let us down this entire series, if answering questions is his punishment so be it.

I understand that this was an instance of poor sportsmanship, but it was a slight occurrence not something outlandish like screaming at a player after dunking on them, cheap shotting them etc..

I just don't understand the pages of hate.

cavsfanatic
05-31-2009, 09:29 PM

Yea that's the only thing I seen wrong when he didn't speak to the press. The pistons and the hawks shouldn't have shook the cavs hands when they lose cuz they was clowning them

haterofhaters
05-31-2009, 09:30 PM
true, major poor sportsmanship...that's sad...for such a great player..
Yup. To me, being a competitor means:
A. You hate to lose.
B. You feel like even when you lose, it was because of poor play rather than because of the opposing team or player simply being better.
C. Losing drives you to work harder because you hate that feeling..

And you can do all of that, be pissed off, feel like you could've and should've won, but if you don't win, you gotta be gracious about it and take it like a man.

DuMa
05-31-2009, 09:33 PM
yes it was poor sportsmanship.
but i kind of got the feeling lebron didnt want to vent in that way.

I am guessing he will vent in other ways like how to make his game even better (if thats possible)

bleedinpurpleTwo
05-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Yup. To me, being a competitor means:
A. You hate to lose.
B. You feel like even when you lose, it was because of poor play rather than because of the opposing team or player simply being better.
C. Losing drives you to work harder because you hate that feeling..

And you can do all of that, be pissed off, feel like you could've and should've won, but if you don't win, you gotta be gracious about it and take it like a man.

THAT'S the truth... at least thats how I was raised.
the better man won..shake his hand..give him due props...and just keep trying your hardest.

Mikaiel
05-31-2009, 09:34 PM

Well when the playoffs began, Mo Williams complained because he didn't get to be on the podium, so ...

And btw, why are we not talking about the Magic's poor sportsmanship ? They ran an alley-oop play with 30 seconds left, Dwight launched a 3 before the buzzer and they mocked the pre-game ritual the Cavs had during the regular season. How about that ?

Younggrease
05-31-2009, 09:34 PM

Then you show the game and you opponent no respect in defeat. Your did not conduct yourself with class and people prob didnt respect it. You dont say good game to say the other person is better than you. You say it to pay respect to the game. To say you played a good game and you beat me today but Im coming back next time.

Godfather
05-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Then you show the game and you opponent no respect in defeat. Your did not conduct yourself with class and people prob didnt respect it. You dont say good game to say the other person is better than you. You say it to pay respect to the game. To say you played a good game and you beat me today but Im coming back next time.

And if you don't you are labeled a bad sport and flamed for 7 straight pages.

Sonic R
05-31-2009, 09:40 PM
LOL at all the lebrom stans defending his actions.

Face it. He's a sore looser. This isn't the first time, the second, or even the third

asd
05-31-2009, 09:41 PM

Lebron sent a text message and didn't acknowledge the Magic immediately after the game.

oh. my. gawd. that's just going too far.

do you sit on the toilet when you piss?

Talent
05-31-2009, 09:41 PM
This is presenting a bad image, these players are role models, and LeBron is teaching kids bad sportsmanship plain and simple. Basketball is just a game just like the commercial says.

Younggrease
05-31-2009, 09:42 PM
And if you don't you are labeled a bad sport and flamed for 7 straight pages.

When I played coaches no matter if it was high school, college or even my AAU coach(but he was really strict) would suspend you a game.

Sorry not everyone is going to garner 7 pages on a public forum. But not everyone is going to recieve the fame from winning that Lebron does. You have to take the upside and the downside. Bron isnt any more competitive then Magic and Bird and Jordan, he is just way less mature of a man.

cavsfanatic
05-31-2009, 09:42 PM
Well when the playoffs began, Mo Williams complained because he didn't get to be on the podium, so ...

And btw, why are we not talking about the Magic's poor sportsmanship ? They ran an alley-oop play with 30 seconds left, Dwight launched a 3 before the buzzer and they mocked the pre-game ritual the Cavs had during the regular season. How about that ?
The magic don't have lebron that's why. People hate lebron and I have no idea why. The magic did that all series. If you don't show respect you don't get respect

asd
05-31-2009, 09:51 PM
This is presenting a bad image, these players are role models, and LeBron is teaching kids bad sportsmanship plain and simple. Basketball is just a game just like the commercial says.

OMG, Lebron is a bad role model. Someone call the police!

Heilige
05-31-2009, 09:55 PM
When I played coaches no matter if it was high school, college or even my AAU coach(but he was really strict) would suspend you a game.

Sorry not everyone is going to garner 7 pages on a public forum. But not everyone is going to recieve the fame from winning that Lebron does. You have to take the upside and the downside. Bron isnt any more competitive then Magic and Bird and Jordan, he is just way less mature of a man.

There is no way in hell he is more competitve than Jordan and Bird. Yet those 2 were able to be classy in the face of defeat.

Talent
05-31-2009, 09:56 PM
There is no way in hell he is more competitve than Jordan and Bird. Yet those 2 were able to be classy in the face of defeat.

This is the biggest difference now. Stars feel entitled to be playing not blessed to have the skill to be playing.

Godfather
05-31-2009, 09:56 PM

:banghead:

You are really going to bring up Bird and Jordan?

The same Bird that would knock players out of bounds (pistons series) and throw elbows into guts when they pissed him off.

The same Jordan that would that would shake fingers in faces after having posterized them?

But these were acts of competitiveness not bad sportsmanship...

JayGuevara
05-31-2009, 10:04 PM
:banghead:

You are really going to bring up Bird and Jordan?

The same Bird that would knock players out of bounds (pistons series) and throw elbows into guts when they pissed him off.

The same Jordan that would that would shake fingers in faces after having posterized them?

But these were acts of competitiveness not bad sportsmanship...

Those are instances in the game, the interaction and congratulations/acceptance after the game is to say that whatever happened on the court "It's just business, nothing personal" and the like.

Over the course of the game you're in the trenches takin grenades, nobody expects you to be a complete gentleman in the paint, but post game is a different story. Act like a grown up, be professional.

kentatm
05-31-2009, 10:07 PM
[QUOTE=NewYorkUSCtrojan]exactly...LBJ think he's competitive by not congratulating the team that whooped him??? wtf!!! his attitude needs to change...

sore loser..

[B]sports⋅man⋅ship
  /ˈspɔrtsmənˌʃɪp, ˈspoʊrts-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [spawrts-muhn-ship, spohrts-] Show IPA

MeloMike
05-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Yea, it is being a poor sport. You can make all the excuses you want. Suck it up and shake hands after the game, everyone else does. I understand if you're pissed off, but you gotta respect your opponent and the game.

haterofhaters
05-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Those are instances in the game, the interaction and congratulations/acceptance after the game is to say that whatever happened on the court "It's just business, nothing personal" and the like.

Over the course of the game you're in the trenches takin grenades, nobody expects you to be a complete gentleman in the paint, but post game is a different story. Act like a grown up, be professional.
Exactly.. At least figuratively when you're out there you're going to war. People do and say all kinds of **** throughout the course of the game. But when the game clock reaches triple 0's, the game is over.. and you take your lumps and take your loss graciously. You don't have to "accept" losing, but at the very least you can give a quick hand shake and take a few minutes to do a post game interview.

Sonic R
05-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Exactly.. At least figuratively when you're out there you're going to war. People do and say all kinds of **** throughout the course of the game. But when the game clock reaches triple 0's, the game is over.. and you take your lumps and take your loss graciously. You don't have to "accept" losing, but at the very least you can give a quick hand shake and take a few minutes to do a post game interview.

The thing is, I am pretty sure we could give him a pass on skipping the interview. All the media would do is ask redundant questions on how they came up short after having a great season and shit

niko
05-31-2009, 10:25 PM

the three was nothing. if they played dirty i understand. the magic didn't do anything so ridiculous. and lebron said he texted howard so clearly it's not that.

again, he chose not to follow standard ettiquete so he got bashed. the reason there is 2 million posts on this is the rationalizing cleveland fans who want it to be not bad sportsmanship simply because its lebron.

sixer6ad
05-31-2009, 10:38 PM
Exactly...Jalen Rose said it best..If LBJ won the ECF finals..LBJ would be sitting at the press conference with his ECF hat backward, nice expensive suit, and big giddy smile...

And your point is? He would have been happy had they won? Wow...thanks for the enlightenment. Some of you posters make absolutely no sense. Lebron couldn't think straight so he walks off the court. Many of you should take the same advice before posting. Then...he contacts Dwight and gives 6-minute speech today praising Orlando, his teammates, his staff, his city, and moves onto his kids for awhile. He thinks about a situation and reflects on it - at least he did when looking at game 6. Maybe some of you door knobs should do the same before you press submit. The NBA playoff slogan, "Where Amazing Happens" is really in tune with some of the thoughtless comments I read here.

sixer6ad
05-31-2009, 10:45 PM
the three was nothing. if they played dirty i understand. the magic didn't do anything so ridiculous. and lebron said he texted howard so clearly it's not that.

again, he chose not to follow standard ettiquete so he got bashed. the reason there is 2 million posts on this is the rationalizing cleveland fans who want it to be not bad sportsmanship simply because its lebron.

Do you want to talk about this play throughout the series (and if you tell me you didn't see it you are not telling the truth): Howard is involved in a loose ball/blocked shot tie up and he is struggling to gather the possession. As the play breaks up, he elbows up on the guy on the way to clapping his hands and smiling? How is that? HOw is it etiquette (and even worse manly) to tell everyone who will listen, "He (Lebron) gets every call". Please don't tell me Anthony Johnson's elbow was unintentional. I knew it was real when EVERY CAV did what they could legally do to let him know his was coming. The Cavs of this season never responded that way. You want to talk about etiquette? How about Turkey Glue's smirk to the crowd or Piettrus holding up the 3 fingers? This wasn't exactly an etiquette series by either team, but it pisses me off that Orlando comes off clean here. Now we really know the truth...Stern wanted Kobe vs. Superman in the finals!!! How stupid does that sound??? About as stupid as Stern wanted Kobe vs. Lebron.

mavsfan4zindagi
05-31-2009, 10:56 PM
:roll: Of course its the Cavs fans that don't see a thing wrong with this. Yet had it been Kobe that jetted without saying anything if he lost a series to Lebron, those same mofo's would be up in arms crying and calling out Kobe.

Total ***** move by Lebron and even worse with his comments trying to ****ing rationalize his stupidity. Looks like he's still not to the point where he can take his lumps like a man.

CLE[216]
05-31-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm glad LeBron didn't say anything to the Magic or shake hands or do any of that BS that you're "supposed" to do. Did Dwight show sportsmanship by throwing elbows all series? Was that sportsmanship when Mo got his face busted? The people knocking Bron for poor sportsmanship are a joke. Get off your high horse. It's really not that difficult to see through your persecution. Any chance you have to show that you're "better" than someone, you jump at and exploit to feed your own needs. Sportsmanship is dead.

thejumpa
05-31-2009, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=Sonic R]The thing is, I am pretty sure we could give him a pass on skipping the interview. All the media would do is ask redundant questions on how they came up short after having a great season and shit

oh the horror
05-31-2009, 11:46 PM
Like I said, some people know how to have class, and be a man about a situation, and they get it, and then there are some people who simply do not get it. You cannot TEACH class, and sportsmanship. It simply is there, and obvious, or it isnt.

Fact is, there is no real justification for it.

The fact that you hear a lot of people talking negatively about it here, in the media, and elsewhere, is because it was wrong. Period.

Does it matter in the long run? Not one bit.

Does it rub people the wrong way, and open up a new perspective on the man? Yes absolutely.

poido123
05-31-2009, 11:54 PM
Love seeing what Lebron did, Im no fan of Cleveland, I just love to see that the game loss hurt him so bad...For me, its about competing, sport is like a battlefield fought between opponents who try to dominate each other without the killing...This killer mentality Lebron has, does not allow room for good sportsmanship and humility...Could explain why Kobe is abit the same, he resorts to poor sportsmanship when things go wrong-refer to Rockets series...These players are human, each individual is different and react different in many different situations...One person's perception of something that is right, may be totally different for someone else who thinks it is wrong...Hell, as well marketed as Michael Jordan was, he did some rotten things, however I think his good well outweighed the bad, and this is the case for Lebron...

BallPhunk
05-31-2009, 11:55 PM
I actually didn't really care about him leaving when I saw it. It was a tough moment, he's young, and I figured the emotions got the best of him.

BUT - after the fact, when you've had time to reflect... This is weak:

"It's hard for me to congratulate somebody after you just lose to them," he said. "I'm a winner. It's not being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you're not going to congratulate them. That doesn't make sense to me. I'm a competitor. That's what I do. It doesn't make sense for me to go over and shake somebody's hand."

Freakin Mike Tyson would congratulate his opponents win or loose (when he didn't have ear in his mouth or crazy in his head).

oh the horror
05-31-2009, 11:56 PM
I actually didn't really care about him leaving when I saw it. It was a tough moment, he's young, and I figured the emotions got the best of him.

BUT - after the fact, when you've had time to reflect... This is weak:

Freakin Mike Tyson would congratulate his opponents win or loose (when he didn't have ear in his mouth or crazy in his head).

I know, even AFTER the fact, this is the best he could muster?

Im sorry, but thats ALL ego talking. Not "killer instinct"

damn dude, im sorry but that sounds like a PUNK.

Mikaiel
06-01-2009, 12:00 AM
It's funny how LeBron's explanation is exactly the same as mine. Must be a Capricorn thing.

oh the horror
06-01-2009, 12:06 AM
When I used to play ball, my temper would flare, and I'd be red hot ANGRY when losing. I hated it, especially watching the other team celebrate, I just hated to lose....but afterwards I would relax...remember that it was just a game, shake hands with the other players, and chill, and get better.

There will ALWAYS be someone better than you...

What are you going to do about it? Sulk?

Nah, you shake hands, and tell that person you'll see them the NEXT game, and then you bring it harder.

greymatter
06-01-2009, 12:12 AM
It's funny seeing NY fans getting all worked up. In case you guys haven't figured it out, the Lebrons/Kobes of the league don't go to trash teams to help them rebuild. They'll go to teams that are maybe 1 piece away from being legit title contenders.

In case that flew over anyone's head, the Knicks suck right now and aren't even close to sniffing anything beyond the 8th playoff spot, so forget it.

bleedinpurpleTwo
06-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Mr. Nice Guy - Dwight Howard - tried to be diplomatic on ESPN tonight but DID say he was disappointed in Lebron.

oh the horror
06-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Mr. Nice Guy - Dwight Howard - tried to be diplomatic on ESPN tonight but DID say he was disappointed in Lebron.

What did he say?

bleedinpurpleTwo
06-01-2009, 12:31 AM
What did he say?

dont have exact quotes but:
1st he said he was kinda surprised that Lebron didn't shake his hand or his teammates.
then he said he could kinda understand where Lebron was coming from.
Then he said, yes, he was disappointed in the way Lebron behaved.

not exact quotes and I dont feel like re-winding the DVR.

you could tell he was wanting to be diplomatic, but was, indeed, disappointed.

Micku
06-01-2009, 12:50 AM
dont have exact quotes but:
1st he said he was kinda surprised that Lebron didn't shake his hand or his teammates.
then he said he could kinda understand where Lebron was coming from.
Then he said, yes, he was disappointed in the way Lebron behaved.

not exact quotes and I dont feel like re-winding the DVR.

you could tell he was wanting to be diplomatic, but was, indeed, disappointed.

I understand where LeBron is coming from, but call me old fashion in that way that you are suppose to shake hands with your opponents after the game. I always thought it just to represent respect for the sport and the team ethics. If people who are professional boxers that shake hands after beating the hell out of each other and the norm of the NBA is to shake hands and face the music after the game, I expected the Cavs to do that too. Overall, I don't care that much if he leaves the court without shaking hands or not. It's not that big of a deal.

It's just amusing that people are bashing him and people are defending him. And it's really entertaining seeing how this year didn't go as expected. I did want to see a Cavs vs Lakers finals because of aspect of two exciting superstars (and fanboys) going at, but I could settle for a Magic vs Lakers. I was liking the exciting style of Orlando.

bleedinpurpleTwo
06-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Imagine the following:
Lebron vs. Serena Williams at WIMBLETON.

Lebron loses and goes straight to locker room.

Godfather
06-01-2009, 12:59 AM
Imagine the following:
Lebron vs. Serena Williams at WIMBLETON.

Lebron loses and goes straight to locker room.

Imagine the following:
Kobe vs. Serena Williams at WIMBELTON

Kobe loses, and goes straight to Serena's locker room.

:pimp:

bleedinpurpleTwo
06-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Imagine the following:
Kobe vs. Serena Williams at WIMBELTON

Kobe loses, and goes straight to Serena's locker room.

:pimp:

bdreason
06-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Poor sport. His explanation is terrible.

The Cavs borderline mocked teams they were beating all season.

Younggrease
06-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Poor sport. His explanation is terrible.

The Cavs borderline mocked teams they were beating all season.

based on his explanation he should never send congrats or say good game to any team that eliminates him...

Legendofthe718
06-01-2009, 01:17 AM
I'm truly dumbfounded at how anyone can defend lebron's actions, it wasn't just disrespectful but a total bittch move on his part. Kids...

FlashDwyaneWade3
06-01-2009, 01:20 AM
']I'm glad LeBron didn't say anything to the Magic or shake hands or do any of that BS that you're "supposed" to do. Did Dwight show sportsmanship by throwing elbows all series? Was that sportsmanship when Mo got his face busted? The people knocking Bron for poor sportsmanship are a joke. Get off your high horse. It's really not that difficult to see through your persecution. Any chance you have to show that you're "better" than someone, you jump at and exploit to feed your own needs. Sportsmanship is dead.
Its the Playoffs. You have to expect its gonna get physical. There's gonna be some elbows being thrown. Ron Artest still showed love and shook his idol Kobe Bryant's hand after the 7 game series with the Lakers. Why can LeBron do the same thing with his Olympic teammate in Dwight Howard?

Cerebral Jedi
06-01-2009, 01:23 AM
I figured after a few hours had passed and his people, his "handlers" had gotten in his ear, Lebron would've come forward with some form of damage control, with a mea culpa of sorts. But no! Instead he makes a statment that makes him look even more like a d0uchebag. He's acting like he's the only true competitor out there, that he's the only one that feels such passion for the game. Everyone else who sucks it up and shows some class and sportmanship have no sense and don't care as much as he does. FOH!.

And wha't with all of the "F**k the media. Why does he have to speak to them anyway?" crap all of a sudden? A few days ago you didn't hear this. I had to sit through the halftime of the Lakers vs Denver game and watch the King James circle jerk. He was all to happy to grin and laugh as we heard about the Greatest Shot Of AllTime. How Lebron saved the city of Cleveland and so on and so on. Yet a few days later when his team got exposed, the media all of a sudden are jerks he shouldn't have to talk to. :rolleyes:

Legendofthe718
06-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Its the Playoffs. You have to expect its gonna get physical. There's gonna be some elbows being thrown. Ron Artest still showed love and shook his idol Kobe Bryant's hand after the 7 game series with the Lakers. Why can LeBron do the same thing with his Olympic teammate in Dwight Howard?

You've got to realize groupies have never been known to think rationally and tend to be young and quite classless too.

oh the horror
06-01-2009, 01:34 AM
I understand where LeBron is coming from, but call me old fashion in that way that you are suppose to shake hands with your opponents after the game. I always thought it just to represent respect for the sport and the team ethics.

Its not old fashioned at all.

People want to deny it, and pretend it doesnt exist, because they are "fierce competitors" but there is a certain ettiquete to sports that people generally DO follow, and it does exist, and people generally respect an athlete who can exhibit such during, or AFTER the games are over....we all get worked up, pissed, argue over games, players, but at the end of the day, we calm down, and tell eachother "good game" or whatever.

CLE[216]
06-01-2009, 01:42 AM
You've got to realize groupies have never been known to think rationally and tend to be young and quite classless too.

You're calling me a classless groupie? Look at all the Lakers fans jumping on LeBron, calling him a poor sport because he skips out on the superficial handshakes. Meanwhile, their star player came out and said that he wanted to be traded when they lost, a few years back, but that was just Kobe being Kobe. Double standard. People around here have memory problems.

Legendofthe718
06-01-2009, 01:58 AM
']You're calling me a classless groupie? Look at all the Lakers fans jumping on LeBron, calling him a poor sport because he skips out on the superficial handshakes. Meanwhile, their star player came out and said that he wanted to be traded when they lost, a few years back, but that was just Kobe being Kobe. Double standard. People around here have memory problems.

To different instances but both are disrespectful in their own way but it's not just been Kobe fans berating his actions, just about every other poster here not linked to either team has expressed their displeasure at his antics. I'm not even trying to hate on lebron, I just think what he did was wrong. End of story.

LALakerFan4Life
06-01-2009, 02:15 AM
I didn't like what LeBron did and what he said with the media today. But he's young. He'll learn from his mistakes and make better decisions.

YAWN
06-01-2009, 02:21 AM
so basically only some lebron fanatics think it was an okay thing to do. and every other human being acknowledges the obvious and is disappointed in lebrons lack of respect for the game in defeat.

chitownsfinest
06-01-2009, 02:26 AM
People can yap on about the people overreacting, but all Lebron had to do was simply shake hands with a couple Magic players and walk off. Thats it. Its part of being a PROFESSIONAL ball player and he was not professional in this instance. AI got major sh!t for walking off the court after the game 5 loss to LA in the 01 Finals, so Bron deserves every bit of criticism he is getting at this point. Dude played a hell of a series and shouldn't really be feeling like a sore loser at this point.

meh
06-01-2009, 02:31 AM
Lebron's "competitor" excuse doesn't make sense. Some of the most competitive or even thuggish players on the court are also some of the nicest people off of it. There's a difference between battling it out during the game and what you do afterwards.

That said, I can see his frustration.

aj242
06-01-2009, 02:36 AM
I'm sorry but I never got the handshake/congratulate thing. It really bugs me after a team wins a championship & guys interrupt celebrating just for so-called sportmanship. Let the other team celeberate period.

Again Lebron or any other player not shaking hands after defeat is fine by me.

Now what I don't agree with is not taking questions after the game. That to me is the bigger so-called sin.

If you can take questions after a win then you can take some after a loss. It can just be for 5 minutes but just take a few questions & then you can tell the media to go to h.e. double hockey sticks.

marcus_v3
06-01-2009, 02:59 AM
kinda disappointed with The way LBJ acted. I respect (and still respect) the guys game and talent since a freak of nature like him doesn't come around often. But he just lost a lot a respect from me with that weak ****. Of course, like he would care what me or any of us think since his got a **** load of moola waiting for him in his mansion.

And as for all the clowns that have the audacity to defend that **** he pulled and are dumb enough to call that "killer instinct". You should seriously evaluate yourselves coz there's something wrong with your frickin values! That **** just aint right:no: :no: :no:

You "Keyboard warriors" should know that you can't always justify **** because there is always a fine line between respect and being a douche bag. If kobe had done that **** i'd still say that ain't right, and if shaq had done that I'd probably lose what little respect I had for him. Same thing goes for every other superstar, star, starter, reserve, etc.

KOLBCTEW
06-01-2009, 03:27 AM
Your opinon is your own and you have every right to ask what the big deal is. But it's one of those "if you have to ask" moments. If you have to ask you either don't get it, don't care to get it or don't care because it's Lebron James and your player of choice.

The fact is in every sport for as long as man has played sports it has always been considered good sportsmanship for the warriors to shake hands at the end of a game or match to show that there is no hard feelings, that what happened in the arena will stay in the arena. During a game players get heated, mad at the other team, they pound on each other, tempers flare words are exchanged. when it's done it's considered a sign of good will for the beaten players to acknowledge the winner.

"you got me this time but next time I'll be standing at the end" type of thing.

To walk off the floor without saying a word is a slap in the face of the players he just spent 6 games being at war with. But more so it's a slap in the face of his teammates that did stay behind and exchange hands with the Magic players, as if he's too good to clean up after himself. It seem like he has has elevated himself to a level higher than anyone else. His talents elevate him head and shoulder beyond the other players but his attitude in the loss drops him right back onto the elementary school playground.He/she said it best :applause:
You also have to be a leader and stand up for your team which is not what he did when he left them high and dry. Not to mention if the situations were reversed and the Cavaliers won, he'd have no trouble accepting the same courtesy he's unwilling to extend.

raptorfan_dr07
06-01-2009, 03:39 AM
I am pretty disappointed in Lebron's actions. If it's so easy to flex your muscles and pose for the camera and scream into the crowd while beating down an opponent, it's easy to shake their hand when they beat you. Nobody's saying he should have praised the Magic and kissed Dwight's feet, that's the general sentiment I'm getting from the Cavs fans here. Just go over and give a quick handshake, pat on the back, whatever. I've both played and coached basketball and after every game, both win or lose, I made sure I congratulated the other team. As a player, I had no control over what my teammates did, but as a coach, you're damn right I made sure each one of my players went over and shook the other team's hands. One of the things I was taught growing up was that the true character of a man is measured when things are hard, not when things are going great. I think we can apply that Lebron regarding this situation. It's easy for him to belittle his opponent when he's winning, but when he loses, he runs and hides. I believe this isn't the first time he's done this.

For the record, I don't care that he refused to speak to the media after the game. The majority of them are nothing but jack@$$es that don't deserve the proper time of day.

highwhey
06-01-2009, 03:58 AM
They should have played that song from Ted Nugent, "You can't always get what you want". I still love you LeBron, you're still the best in the world regardless. <3 #23

YAWN
06-01-2009, 03:59 AM
They should have played that song from Ted Nugent, "You can't always get what you want". I still love you LeBron, you're still the best in the world regardless. <3 #23

you mean rolling stones?