PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard Exposed? 1-6 FG!

lbj23clutch
06-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Will Dwight continue to struggle against the Laker's big men? Bynum and Gasol did a fantastic job on containing him, but can they continue this? I think this is why Dwight needs to work on his post moves, as opposed to banging through people everytime because it just doesn't work on lengthy, athletic big men like Bynum or Gasol. Dwight makes it look easy against a 200 year old Big Z, but gets exposed by tall physical big men like perkins, shaq, yao, bynum,etc.

bleedinpurpleTwo
06-05-2009, 01:15 AM
nah... I will take Howard on my squad any day!

Disaprine
06-05-2009, 01:19 AM
naw dwight was to passive in this game, he'll be back for game 2 though.

lbj23clutch
a healthy yao ming dominated LA during the playoffs before he got injured. howard also struggles against elite big men like yao ming. a healthy yao is just as dangerous.

amfirst
Dwight is the best center in the NBA. His team mates weren't hitting their shots that's all.

If he had Kobe to dish to him, he would be even more dominant.

Foster5k
Will Dwight continue to struggle against the Laker's big men?

Yes. This is why I laugh, at people, who say Dwight > Shaq. Shaq was a beast, who could actually plow his way, at will, to the basket. The only way to stop Shaq was to Hack a Shaq.

Let me repeat this.. Prime Shaq would never go 1 for 6, from the field, in the NBA Finals.

So, to everyone saying Dwight > Shaq or Dwight will be better than Shaq, etc. It's not happening and never will happen.

This is to everyone who says Dwight > Shaq or Dwight will be better than Shaq. I like Dwight, but he isn't better than Shaq.

and he's not better than Yao Ming. Period.

A healthy Yao Ming >> Dwight. Not even worth arguing.

amfirst
06-05-2009, 01:21 AM
a healthy yao ming dominated LA during the playoffs before he got injured. howard also struggles against elite big men like yao ming. a healthy yao is just as dangerous.

Yao didn't not dominate the Lakers. The Lakers destroy him. All they had to do was front him, and Yao was useless and turn into a turnover machine.

It was when Yao was sitting that all the runs were made my the Rockets.

lbj23clutch
06-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Yes. This is why I laugh, at people, who say Dwight > Shaq. Shaq was a beast, who could actually plow his way, at will, to the basket. The only way to stop Shaq was to Hack a Shaq.

Let me repeat this.. Prime Shaq would never go 1 for 6, from the field, in the NBA Finals.

So, to everyone saying Dwight > Shaq or Dwight will be better than Shaq, etc. It's not happening and never will happen.

This is to everyone who says Dwight > Shaq or Dwight will be better than Shaq. I like Dwight, but he isn't better than Shaq.

i agree prime shaq would destroy dwight. yao ming to dwight howard "tell me how my ass taste"

amfirst
06-05-2009, 01:23 AM

Shaq was great, but it wasn't until a strong play like prime Ben Wallace to came around to stop him.

Foster5k
06-05-2009, 01:25 AM
Shaq was great, but it wasn't until a strong play like prime Ben Wallace to come around to stop him.
:wtf:

KineticZhiv
06-05-2009, 01:26 AM
What is an healthy Yao Ming?

bleedinpurpleTwo
06-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Shaq was great, but it wasn't until a strong play like prime Ben Wallace to come around to stop him.

true that!
Ben Wallace played a great defensive series. He didnt STOP Shaq, but he made it very very tough for Shaq and therefore the entire Laker offense since the offense went through Shaq every time.

lbj23clutch
06-05-2009, 01:28 AM
a washed up big ben actually did a good job on dwight in the ECF in limited minutes when ben was on the floor, unfortunately mike brown was to dumb to give big ben more minutes and to realize that a 200 year old Big Z couldn't guard dwight.

Abraham Lincoln
06-05-2009, 01:37 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.fanhouse.com/media/2007/03/willis-old-280.sm.jpg

Abraham Lincoln
06-05-2009, 01:39 AM
:roll: :roll:

Torious
06-05-2009, 01:39 AM
The two offensive fouls they called on him seemed to crush his spirit. He'll be back in game 2.

GiveItToBurrito
06-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Dwight couldn't get in a rhythm due to minutes and all of the free throws and he didn't have anyone to take the pressure off of him on account of Turk's and Lewis' complete inability to get it going. I don't think he was by any means "exposed" as somehow bad or something. If anything, the Celtics series reflected more poorly on him than the Lakers series has so far, since it seemed so easy for Perkins to keep him from scoring off of field goals or free throws.

amfirst
06-05-2009, 01:49 AM
:wtf:

Did u not watch how the Piston shut down Shaq. Sure Kobe was a ball hogger, but after the fact that Shaq kelpt turning the ball over in the post to Ben Wallace.

djwhizard
06-05-2009, 01:52 AM
Dwight is the best center in the NBA. His team mates weren't hitting their shots that's all.

I would take Howard (or as I say "Howie") on my team any day. He does have a way to go, but he will continue to improve his game and add more depth over the next couple of years. He is great right now, and will only get better.

djwhizard
06-05-2009, 01:56 AM

HUH???? At no time did Yao dominate the Lakers, not in the regular season (0-4) and not in the playoffs (1-2).

It was when Yao was injured and the smaller guys ran circles around the Lakers is when the match up problems arose. When Yao was in the game, the pace was much slower - and the Lakers were able to control the tempo.

Lakers played the Rockets better with Yao, than without. That series did not go 7 games if Yao was not injured.

cotdt
06-05-2009, 02:01 AM
Gasol's defense this year has been underrated. He has improved from last year. People who still call Gasol soft are obviously not paying attention. He's done weight training in the offseason and gained an extra 20 pounds, which basically makes him a true center.

Foster5k
06-05-2009, 02:01 AM
Did u not watch how the Piston shut down Shaq. Sure Kobe was a ball hogger, but after the fact that Shaq kelpt turning the ball over in the post to Ben Wallace.
:oldlol: :roll:

Ben Wallace didn't stop Shaq. Hack a Shaq stopped Shaq. Pistons really didn't shut down Shaq, either.

Darius
06-05-2009, 02:03 AM
lmao at this.

Howard was already exposed vs. Kendrick Perkins in the semis.

Then he dominates broken feet Ilgauskus and 6'8" Varajeo and people think he suddenly learned to become Shaq overnight.

Suddenly, when faced with legit 7 footers, he is human again... hm...

G-train
06-05-2009, 02:03 AM

no

00thecool00
06-05-2009, 02:04 AM

I don't know if you call 26ppg being "shut down".

ProfessorMurder
06-05-2009, 02:25 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.fanhouse.com/media/2007/03/willis-old-280.sm.jpg

Kevin Willis rocked!

invisiblehoops
06-05-2009, 02:32 AM

it's kinda sad how all arguments involving yao or t-mac have the word healthy all over them.

invisiblehoops
06-05-2009, 02:33 AM

Wasn't he still averaging 26 something points 11 rebounds on 60%+ shooting?

el_locoteee
06-05-2009, 03:06 AM
Yao didn't not dominate the Lakers. The Lakers destroy him. All they had to do was front him, and Yao was useless and turn into a turnover machine.

It was when Yao was sitting that all the runs were made my the Rockets.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

2.67 TO in 36MPG for a big man = a turnover machine. :roll:

FG20
06-05-2009, 03:16 AM
Ive watched very little Magic basketball this year but its obvious they just were not hitting shots they could/should hit and that is always rough on a center.

However, while I believe Dwight one of the most beastly dudes ive ever had the pleasure to meet, I do not think that against Gasol/Bynum/(O-Dumb even) he will avg more then 18 ppg this series... thats not to say I dont hope he does and the Magic topple the Lakers.

btw, Shaq>anycurrentbigman with closest competition from TimmyD
dont effing kid yourselves

monkeypox
06-05-2009, 03:21 AM
At this point I chalk it up to finals virgin jitters. Although this is Bynums first finals too, but he has less responsibility on his shoulders. We'll se how he does on sunday.

bence23
06-05-2009, 03:31 AM
Amare>Dwight

VCMVP1551
06-05-2009, 03:35 AM

Detroit shut down Shaq? Shaq averaged 26.6 PPG, 10.8 PPG, 63.1 FG%, 2.8 TO, 16.8 FGA 42.6 mpg Yeah, Shaq sure was shut down and he sure turned over the ball a lot. :hammerhead:

Amare>Dwight

Please tell me you're joking.

FG20
06-05-2009, 03:38 AM
Amare>Dwight

While I would personally take Amare over Dwight, you cant compare the two players...

Just too much of a difference in their roles and what they bring to the table. Yao vs. Dwight arguments (though tiresome) are valid because they are of closer to the same mold. You dont compare KG and Shaq because... well damn, you just dont.

:ohwell:

Lakas Fan Yo
06-05-2009, 03:44 AM
Random fans on this board:

"Clearly Dwight is far better than Yao".:rolleyes:

WoGiTaLiA1
06-05-2009, 04:01 AM

Dwight is still not better than rookie Shaq was. Shaq is one of those once in a lifetime players. Dwight is just a very good player.

Dwight is the best center in the league now though but the center position is really kind of pathetic right now.

cured
06-05-2009, 04:14 AM
The entire Orlando team had an off-night and their rhythm was disrupted. Dwight got into foul trouble and that limited his effectiveness. I do notexpect a repeat performance in game 2 and expect Dwight to get touches early and often and have a great game. Also, I expect Orlando's shooters not to be so bad. I think the agic have a good shot at stealing game 2 but keep in mind the Lakers didn't play all that well, either.

WoGiTaLiA1
06-05-2009, 04:17 AM
Loving that other people are finally noticing the Dwight=Kevin Willis thing.

I swear if Willis came out and said he was Dwight's father I would believe it, not even doubt it for a second. They are the same player, look the same, it is just too much to handle.

VCMVP1551
06-05-2009, 04:23 AM
Loving that other people are finally noticing the Dwight=Kevin Willis thing.

I swear if Willis came out and said he was Dwight's father I would believe it, not even doubt it for a second. They are the same player, look the same, it is just too much to handle.

Not only that, but Dwight was born in Atlanta is 1985 and Willis played for the Hawks from 1984 to 1994. :eek:

Lebron23
06-05-2009, 04:28 AM
Dwight is not as good as Young Shaq, and he's also limited offensively.

FG20
06-05-2009, 04:31 AM
Not only that, but Dwight was born in Atlanta is 1985 and Willis played for the Hawks from 1984 to 1994. :eek:

haha...one year after Willis was in town Dwight was born
:hammerhead:

yes, im pointing out the obvious... fack off

the only thing that I might find funnier here is if Mutumbo was chilling in the same town as Greg Odens mother 9 months before the manchild emerged.

WoGiTaLiA1
06-05-2009, 04:42 AM
Not only that, but Dwight was born in Atlanta is 1985 and Willis played for the Hawks from 1984 to 1994.

Wow... It is just too good to be true. I totally hadn't gone there with it before.

Seriously... paternity test. Now!

Manute for Ever!
06-05-2009, 04:56 AM

How does that explain him going 1-6?

VeeCee15
06-05-2009, 05:20 AM
Dwight howard looked like a shrimp when standing next too gasol...didn't know gasol was that big...he isn't ripped like dwight but he's big

Kiddlovesnets
06-05-2009, 05:33 AM
Dwight is nothing but a dunker, too bad he can't dunk on Bynum...

fos
06-05-2009, 08:32 AM
true that!
Ben Wallace played a great defensive series. He didnt STOP Shaq, but he made it very very tough for Shaq and therefore the entire Laker offense since the offense went through Shaq every time.

LMAO! The hell he did, the problem was the offense did not go through Shaq... Every time? My ass. Kobe chucked that series away, Shaq shot his usual high percentage but he wasn't getting the ball. Revisionist history at its finest.

dnyk1337
06-05-2009, 08:41 AM
dwight is garbage. ive been saying it all ****ing year. eventually though, he got exposed for every stat whore and athletic lover to see.

what are his moves again? oh yea... let me list some.

facing the basket with his left arm facing out of bounds and faking towards the baseline but instead going to the middle of the key for a little right jumphook that is really bad... hit and miss basically. perkins exposed dwight already on this one.

same as above, but instead spin and lay it with left or dunk if open. again... perkins exposed him bad on this.

from opposite side, jump hook around the middle with left hand. this is a worse move than the right hook as its even less precise.

the little wing move that sometimes gets called a foul and then dunk or layin... boring.

have i basically hit the spot? any player whose post moves can be counted with one hand basically has NO post game. garbage.

he can jump high though.. and get some stupid blocks just because of his wing span and athletic ability... and erm... grab some rebounds away from rafer alston... hes better than yao youre all right.... (/sarcasm)

cotdt
06-05-2009, 08:49 AM
dwight is garbage. ive been saying it all ****ing year. eventually though, he got exposed for every stat whore and athletic lover to see.

what are his moves again? oh yea... let me list some.

facing the basket with his left arm facing out of bounds and faking towards the baseline but instead going to the middle of the key for a little right jumphook that is really bad... hit and miss basically. perkins exposed dwight already on this one.

same as above, but instead spin and lay it with left or dunk if open. again... perkins exposed him bad on this.

from opposite side, jump hook around the middle with left hand. this is a worse move than the right hook as its even less precise.

the little wing move that sometimes gets called a foul and then dunk or layin... boring.

have i basically hit the spot? any player whose post moves can be counted with one hand basically has NO post game. garbage.

he can jump high though.. and get some stupid blocks just because of his wing span and athletic ability... and erm... grab some rebounds away from rafer alston... hes better than yao youre all right.... (/sarcasm)

Basically Andrew Bynum said something similar before Game 1. Dwight has very little skill, instead relying on his athleticism. He doesn't even have a jumpshot. Bynum said that all he had to do "was prevent Dwight from getting within 5 feet from the basket, and his FG% drops down DRAMATICALLY past that 5 feet." It worked.

Offensively, Dwight is quite stoppable for the Lakers. He will still defend the paint well and be the best rebounder in the game, however. No question that he is the most important player on the Magic. But offensive threat, he is not.

RocketGreatness
06-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Dwight is still not better than rookie Shaq was. Shaq is one of those once in a lifetime players. Dwight is just a very good player.

Dwight is the best center in the league now though but the center position is really kind of pathetic right now.
Yao Ming when healthy is the best center in the NBA, better than Dwight easily.

dafunkphenom
06-05-2009, 10:03 AM
WRONG!

mmsupra
06-05-2009, 10:05 AM
I love ISH and how everyone JUMPS on the Dwight sucks bandwagon then he'll get a 20-20 then it's Dwight is a beast. Stick to one thing.

dnyk1337
06-05-2009, 10:24 AM
ill stick to and i have stuck to dwight is a second tier center equivalent to kevin willis with more athleticism and less post moves. thats it.

Legend of Josh
06-05-2009, 10:29 AM
There's no question Delight How had an off night. Perhaps a first Finals appearance jitters or maybe even he didn't take this game very seriously; thinking he's only 24 years old and will have several Finals appearances. There's a time to enjoy the game and have fun and there's a time when to play the game like it's your one and only shot to win a title. Nothing is promised in the NBA unless your name is LeBron James.

Yes, the guy didn't play well (I think that goes without saying), but I will say he did attack the basket and he should keep doing that IMO. He needs to stay out of foul trouble very early in games so that doesn't throw him off his axis mentally. Getting an offensive foul early in the game that sits your ass down isn't a great motivational tool.

The time is now or never for Orlando, and I think SVG is fully aware of this. If Kobe has another supreme performance while Howard is living the good life in the Finals and the LakeShow pick up a Game 2 win you can pretty much kiss this thing goodbye. If the Lakers are up 2-0 going into Orlando, I can see LA winning one of those games with their eyes closed, and then winning one of two back in LA with Kobe having one hand tied behind his back.

The time is now Orlando... wake up or go home.

PP34Deuce
06-05-2009, 10:49 AM
People told me I was crazy, and i know its early, but Dwight was slightly exposed in the celtics series.

We had length we just didnt have athletiscm from our back up Bigs.

The lakers have Long wingspan 6'9 and up players with very good athletiscm.

Jeff Van Gundy made the perfect observation when he said The lakers are a very lengthy team collectively. Gasol,Bynum,Odom,Ariza,Brown, etc have length to disrupt the magic

LA_Showtime
06-05-2009, 10:53 AM
:roll: :roll:

lmao this cracked me up because it broke character.:lol

amfirst
06-05-2009, 10:56 AM
LMAO! The hell he did, the problem was the offense did not go through Shaq... Every time? My ass. Kobe chucked that series away, Shaq shot his usual high percentage but he wasn't getting the ball. Revisionist history at its finest.

Shaq shot high percentage off of dunks. Otherwise, he was a turn over machine.

DonDadda59
06-05-2009, 11:14 AM

We're talking about Shaquille O'Neal right? Who in their right mind thinks that Dwight is as good as Shaq? He couldn't even handle this year's version of Shaq, prime Diesel would castrate D12 on the court. Rookie Shaq>Dwight by a large margin, Howard's just lucky he's playing in this weak era where the second best (arguably the best) center in the league is a guy whose bones are made of peanut brittle. Dwight in the 90s=Dale Davis.

GUUS
06-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Bynum has always played Howard well, before this season Bynum used to even outplay Bynum everytime they match up, can't blame howard though as he gives up 3 inches of height to bynum, but for a superstar he does tend to struggle against players of equal caliber to him

Dasher
06-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Kevin Willis was never the passer, overall defender, or shot blocker that Dwight Howard is, when doubled Dwight damn near always makes the appropriate pass. The only similarities that they really have is incredibly chiseled physiques. Even on an off-night he got to the line. Kevin was never really a threat to hang fouls on the opposition's frontline. Dwight was at the line 16 times last night. Dwight had Josh Powell in the game before the first half was over. Also if his teammates had made some of those open looks he got them, his assist numbers would have been impressive. This is another one of those knee-jerk threads that ISH is known for.

dnyk1337
06-05-2009, 11:38 AM
hardly, seeing as dwight has no offense. youre telling me that kevin willis being given the reigns of #1 option and franchise player would not have developed better than dwight coming out of hs? please. the guy had more post moves and his defense was also astonishingly better. their chiseled physiques are similar but thats the only thing.

Dasher
06-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Kevin Willis was not close to being the defender that Dwight is, and when it comes to athleticism they are not really close. Kevin Willis was incredibly stiff, and mechanical. Dwight is explosive and plays above the rim, and anchors his defense in a way that Kevin never could. Note Kevin Willis was never much of a shot blocker, and was at best an adequate post defender. Dwight can play behind his man, and is one of the best roving defensive centers in NBA history. Kevin Willis' field goal percentages are low, you know why? Because he was not as proficient in the post as you are making him out to be, and his physique would make you think he was stronger than he actually was. Kevin Willis has never been as good as Dwight is now.

Bigsmoke
06-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Amare>Dwight

hows Amare's defense?

Legend of Josh
06-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Amare>Dwight

Blasphemy. At one point in time sure, Amare was considered an up-and-coming superstar but if anyone has been exposed it's him. Amare is a softie and when it comes to heart there's an ever glowing question mark. Unfortunately, he'll continue and finish his career a solid player, maybe even bank some all-star appearances along the way but that's about it.

As for Dwight - he's already proven he's a superstar in this league for years to come, especially when you take into account his superior athleticism. No, I doubt he'll ever really blossom into a 25ppg machine, but take into account his godly ability to crash the boards and play the best defense from a center this league has seen in quite some time I think it's safe to say Delight has not been exposed, and sure as hell Amare isn't worthy of that > sign you put before him.

Everyone is susceptible of having a bad game. Like Dasher pointed out, also notice how many times he went to the line. Bottom-line, Orlando as a whole played shitty and the Lakers' D played phenomenal.

WoGiTaLiA1
06-05-2009, 12:34 PM
hit and miss basically.

Well done. You successfully put into words that every shot ever attempted has two possible outcomes, that is to hit or to miss. A revelation no doubt.

Offensively, Dwight is quite stoppable for the Lakers. He will still defend the paint well and be the best rebounder in the game, however. No question that he is the most important player on the Magic. But offensive threat, he is not.

Yes and no. Dwight is a force offensively as long as he has space to operate. I mentioned in another thread that the Magic are not inside out or outside in, they are a balance and without one the other does not work. Dwight cant work if the shooters aren't hitting and vice versa, though Dwight is more dependent on the shooters. Dwight is more athletic than anyone that guards him, if he has the space to be able to either face up slower players or post up smaller players he is an effective scorer, if you take his space away and force him to places, you effectively kill him. He is the most guardable unguardable guy going around.

No, he is not. Yao is a more polished scorer and a far better shooter and passer, but his post game is no more effective than Dwights. Yao often struggles to establish position and can have problems with quicker guys. He also limits a team's options offensively, you cant switch up and run with him the game because he cant keep up.

It is on defense however where the biggest gap is. Dwight's athletic ability allows him to be far more influential than Yao. Dwight is generally a dominant defensive player, Yao is a good man to man defender and a solid help defender, Dwight is an elite help defender and a good man to man defender.

Rebounding they are pretty equal. Yao is a far better technical rebounder, he boxes out and plays his role as a rebounder, Dwight is an aggressive go getter of a rebounder who relies very heavily on his athletic ability. Dwight will put up better numbers, Yao will get the rebounds he should and not allow his opponent to get rebounds he shouldn't.

Kevin Willis was never the passer, overall defender, or shot blocker that Dwight Howard is, when doubled Dwight damn near always makes the appropriate pass.

Are we watching the same Dwight? Dwight is a very poor passer. He is a reluctant passer and makes very slow decisions. His passing is his worst skill or at least a tie with his shooting. Willis was certainly a better passer.

Willis was also a better man to man defender. He wasn't half the help defender that Dwight is and that is because Dwight is a better leaper and more agile. Willis was very athletic though, not quite on the Dwight level, but certainly not far, definitely close enough that you say it is his genetics that lead to Dwight.

Kevin Willis' field goal percentages are low, you know why? Because he was not as proficient in the post as you are making him out to be,

What? I'm pretty sure that Willis was a 50% shooter in an era where he actually had to go against players who could defend the post. Willis' offensive game was very similar to Dwight's, it was not refined and relied more on athletic skills than technical skills, but compared to Dwight, Willis looks like Hakeem in the post. I get the distinct feeling that you never saw Willis as a part of the Hawks.

He wasn't a more dominant player than Dwight and he wasn't more athletic or as good as a help defender but you stick Dwight in the early 90s and he is just a more athletic with shot blocking version of Willis. Willis for a 5 or so year period was a damn good player, his era was stronger so comparatively he was not near Dwight's level, doesn't stop him being a damn fine player though.

Plus you seem have taken what was clearly said in jest and reacted like a Kobe fanboi would, Dwight's a great player, Kevin Willis was also a damn good player. Plus they look the damn same, have the same style of game and even shared a city right around when Dwight was born....

WoGiTaLiA1
06-05-2009, 12:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o84RivTdS2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igsb0_YdlJI

A couple of Kevin Willis vids for your viewing pleasure, as I said, not quite the leaper that Dwight is, but certainly a comparable player.

Dasher
06-05-2009, 12:40 PM
The balanced offense that The Magic run would not be possible if Dwight could not pass well out of double teams. He is patient and makes the correct reads and plays. Kevin Willis was a mediocre post player offensively. We have to also note the rules advantages that big men of the past had. Dwight and other bigs have to accelerate their moves because of the Charles Barkley rule. Give Dwight the ability to camp in the lane on defense and dribble the air out of the ball on offense, and you will have a player that is even more effective than the current iteration of Dwight.

Where did I even react to the Kevin Willis/Dwight Howard Maury Povich scenario? I rip apart the silly comparison of the two being equal players. They are very dissimilar. Dwight is closer to a shot blocking Wes Unseld with a dash of Shawn Kemp than he is to Kevin Willis who was a fairly pedestrian big man.

beau_boy04
06-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanksfully the performed poorly and hopefully the Shaq comparison will finally stop!!! Dwight is not Shaq by any measure.

mbell75
06-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Well Bynum played him physical and at 7'1 and near 300 pounds, hes bigger than Howard for sure and just as strong. Something Howard hasnt had to deal with yet in these playoffs. Although Gasol isnt as big and strong, Howard played terrible against him and Pau went off last year when they went against each other. I fully expect Howard to have some big games though.

D-Rose
06-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Dwight was exposed but give Bynum and the "softy" Gasol credit for manning up and playing him one-on-one.

NewYorkUSCtrojan
06-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I hope Bynum and Gasol continue to foul Dwight..They do not need to give D12 any dunk to get going..They both have 12 foul, used them...

However, Bynum and Gasol just needs to push D12 out 5ft from the basket. There's no need to foul him..

HeyIt'sMe
06-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Kevin Willis was a highly underrated player, but he had T-Rex arms. The fact that he was able to be a well above average post player in this league despite the fact that he had incredibly short arms is a testament to his ability.

Dwight, OTOH, has a huge wingpsan and enormous length and reach. This allows him to be a far more effective shot blocker and finisher than Willis was.

I will caution to anyone who is jumping on the Dwight is overrated bandwagon to give it more than one game. Yes, he had a bad game, but he had several good looks that rimmed out on him and he made good passes all night to his teammates, who just flat out couldn't hit shots. I didn't think he played THAT badly.

lakerfreak
06-05-2009, 01:48 PM

Instead of repeating the same line over and over with no facts or evidence to support your case, why don't you give your reasons why you think so?

Come up with a nice post thats well thought out instead of sounding like you have an agenda.

RocketGreatness
06-05-2009, 02:01 PM
No, he is not. Yao is a more polished scorer and a far better shooter and passer, but his post game is no more effective than Dwights. Yao often struggles to establish position and can have problems with quicker guys. He also limits a team's options offensively, you cant switch up and run with him the game because he cant keep up.

It is on defense however where the biggest gap is. Dwight's athletic ability allows him to be far more influential than Yao. Dwight is generally a dominant defensive player, Yao is a good man to man defender and a solid help defender, Dwight is an elite help defender and a good man to man defender.

Rebounding they are pretty equal. Yao is a far better technical rebounder, he boxes out and plays his role as a rebounder, Dwight is an aggressive go getter of a rebounder who relies very heavily on his athletic ability. Dwight will put up better numbers, Yao will get the rebounds he should and not allow his opponent to get rebounds he shouldn't.
Um that is wrong. Yao's post game is way more effective, just go look at there head to head matchups. There's a reason why Howard struggles against teams with above average defensive big men. Because he's only a sub par scorer. He's an excellent dunker, but he's a sub par scorer. That's why Perkins owns him, Yao shits and jizzes on his face and Bynum probably will be doing that now.

Yao's defense and rebounding is closer to Dwight's, than Dwight's offensive game is to Yao's. That's why I say Yao is better. It's SERIOUSLY that simple.

People act like Howard is the only player on Orlando. He's the most famous Magic, but he's not the only reason why they made it to the Finals. He needs to thank those 4 3 point shooters of his in the starting lineup, his underrated backup center and his smart coach. He's no better than Tyson Chandler in terms of post moves.

giantgonzolez
06-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Shaq was allowed UNLIMITTED ILLEGAL OFFENSIVE FOULS(Elbowing defenders in the face and using his shoulders as a battering ram) by David Stern when he was in LA but is not allowed those moves in Pheonix. Howard would average 40PPG and 65% FG if he was allowed to use those same moves.

cured
06-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Shaq got away with a lot of bulldozing but it wasn't overly excessive. And if they would have called games with Shaq fairly, the other team's entire frontcourt would have fouled out by the end of the 3rd quarter. He got fouled a TON.

Foster5k
06-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Shaq was allowed UNLIMITTED ILLEGAL OFFENSIVE FOULS(Elbowing defenders in the face and using his shoulders as a battering ram) by David Stern when he was in LA but is not allowed those moves in Pheonix. Howard would average 40PPG and 65% FG if he was allowed to use those same moves.

:lol :oldlol: :roll: :lol :roll: :roll: :cry: :cry: :rant :rant

RocketGreatness
06-06-2009, 10:13 PM
lmao at this.

Howard was already exposed vs. Kendrick Perkins in the semis.

Then he dominates broken feet Ilgauskus and 6'8" Varajeo and people think he suddenly learned to become Shaq overnight.

Suddenly, when faced with legit 7 footers, he is human again... hm...
:applause: This what happens when you are the flavor of the week. Go ask Melo and Nugget fans.

Get use to it guys. Howard struggles against anybody who's almost as big as him and guys who are just as strong as him.

KeylessEntry
06-06-2009, 10:26 PM
RocketGreatness:

What will it take you to leave this message board?

If we paypal you $20 will you **** off?

:applause:

bence23
06-07-2009, 09:02 PM
This proves he cant do **** if he cant dunk.. give me amare over howard any day

Kiddlovesnets
06-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Dwight is 2-10 from the field in the first two games so far...
:oldlol:

VCMVP1551
06-07-2009, 09:17 PM
give me amare over howard any day

Wow, you're actually serious..... Howard in the last 2 years alone has led his team to the finals, been the defensive player of the year, 2 time rebounding leader, blocks leader and he's won 52 and 59 games. He had an incredible Eastern Conference Finals series while leading his team to an upset victory, plus he's only the 5th player in NBA history to lead the league in blocks and rebounds in the same season. Not to mention that he even draws more double teams than Amare.

lbj23clutch
06-07-2009, 09:56 PM
howard is getting exposed again woooow this is totally a different dwight from the dwight that dominated my cavs.

RocketGreatness
06-07-2009, 11:03 PM
howard is getting exposed again woooow this is totally a different dwight from the dwight that dominated my cavs.
It shows you how pathetic LeBron's teammates are more than how dominant Howard is to be honest with you.

Big Z is a major *****, probably even softer than Bosh. I like Dwight Howard, but I'm also a realist. Yao Ming is still better.

lbj23clutch
06-07-2009, 11:05 PM
It shows you how pathetic LeBron's teammates are more than how dominant Howard is to be honest with you.

Big Z is a major *****, probably even softer than Bosh. I like Dwight Howard, but I'm also a realist. Yao Ming is still better.
100% agreed, a healthy yao ming ****s on any center in this league.

HeyIt'sMe
06-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Anybody who would take Amare over Howard is a raging buffoon. Amare might be the worst defensive player in the league.

"OMG, but he scores!"

Bush4Ever
06-07-2009, 11:15 PM
He REALLY needs to kick this habit of lowering the ball to his waist/knees in the post. That should have been drilled out of his game by the time he got to high school.

With that said, he still rebounded extremely well and probably saved a good 10 points on defense from blocks and steals.

red1
06-07-2009, 11:18 PM

For the love of god can you shut the f*ck up about Bosh? How the f*ck does he manage to pop up in more than half of your posts? What'd he do to you, kill your parents and sh*t on your lawn? Jeeeez

Lakas Fan Yo
06-07-2009, 11:21 PM
It is so obvious Yao is the best center in the league. But Howard is still a great player himself.

RocketGreatness
06-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Another stat, Dwight has only scored 3 times outside of the paint. What does this honestly tell you?

I bet Dwight practices missing FT's so his FT% will be similar to Shaq's, so they can compare him to Shaq. I hope that isn't true, but It's starting to seem like it since he makes them all the time in the 4th.

D-Rose
06-08-2009, 01:12 AM
What the hell are the Magic paying Ewing to do? Least KAJ has helped Bynum's game a lot.

RocketGreatness
06-08-2009, 04:24 PM
What the hell are the Magic paying Ewing to do? Least KAJ has helped Bynum's game a lot.
He's an overrated mentor. He's still good, but he's not as good as some people imply. Patrick Ewing was on the Rockets staff a while ago and he taught Yao stuff. But really not that much. Dwight's improvement came in recent years because he plays in a system where he will get the ball more.

In my opinion, Mutombo has probably helped out Yao more over the years than Patrick Ewing did.

L8kersfan222
06-08-2009, 07:05 PM
lol Dwight doesn't have any post moves.
Did anyone see his vitamin commercial?

He said "the dunk, the spin move, uhhhhhh thats all I can do gaiz sry"

ShaqAttack3234
06-09-2009, 04:05 AM
I like Dwight Howard, but I'm also a realist. Yao Ming is still better.

No you don't and no he's not! Get that through your head. Dwight is in the finals right now, where the hell is Yao? Injured? Again?! It took Yao SEVEN SEASONS to get past the first round! And Yao is now 28 and has been injured 4 straight seasons.

In 5 seasons at age 23 Dwight has made it to the second round twice, won 50+ games twice, led the league in rebounding twice, led the league in blocks and now he's in the finals. Oh yeah, Dwight has only missed 3 games in his entire career. He just had a 40/14/4 game in the clinching ECF game. He led his team to an upset win without homecourt. He's only getting better too.

Yao is better head to head with Dwight, Dwight is better against just about everyone else. Yao has the more polished game, but Dwight is the more effective player.

dab0yech0
06-09-2009, 04:44 AM

Also Bynum is going against Gasol and another big physical body in Mbenga in practice and has to learn post moves. Howard easily dunks on Gortat and Tony Battie in practice and rarely has to go to any post moves against them.

cotdt
06-09-2009, 05:28 AM
Also Bynum is going against Gasol and another big physical body in Mbenga in practice and has to learn post moves. Howard easily dunks on Gortat and Tony Battie in practice and rarely has to go to any post moves against them.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2402/67bed5d3563143d157779a0.jpg

Bynum will be an amazing center in a couple years just watch. It will be pleasure to see a dominant true center with great post moves once more.

TheGrassIsGreen
06-09-2009, 06:10 AM
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2402/67bed5d3563143d157779a0.jpg

Bynum will be an amazing center in a couple years just watch. It will be pleasure to see a dominant true center with great post moves once more.

Actually that picture just shows how far he needs to go. He's low, which is good, but he needs to bend his knees a bit more for leverage. In that picture, it looks like Pau will cut him off and Bynum will end up charging a shoulder into Gasol's chest resulting in a charge.

AJ2k8
06-09-2009, 06:29 AM
Actually that picture just shows how far he needs to go. He's low, which is good, but he needs to bend his knees a bit more for leverage. In that picture, it looks like Pau will cut him off and Bynum will end up charging a shoulder into Gasol's chest resulting in a charge.

Actually, if he's about to drive he looks like he is about to do one of those stupid Luke Walton Offensive fends:hammerhead:

TheGrassIsGreen
06-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Actually, if he's about to drive he looks like he is about to do one of those stupid Luke Walton Offensive fends:hammerhead:

Now that I study it a bit further, it seems as though he's about to spin baseline, jump off his right foot, sign his autograph on the backboard with a well concealed magic marker kept in his compression shorts, and then finish it off with Pau flying in to block it with a Ryu-esque spin kick.

AJ2k8
06-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Now that I study it a bit further, it seems as though he's about to spin baseline, jump off his right foot, sign his autograph on the backboard with a well concealed magic marker kept in his compression shorts, and then finish it off with Pau flying in to block it with a Ryu-esque spin kick.

I can't believe i couldn't see that before:hammerhead:

Nanners
06-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Dwight in first 2 games of the Finals vs the Lakers:

14.5ppg 15.5rpg 3apg 3spg 3bpg

Yao in 3 games of conference semifinals vs Lakers:

19ppg 11.3rpg 1.3apg .67spg 1.33bpg

lbj23clutch
06-09-2009, 04:38 PM
If bynum was more comitted and determined, he would be the best center in this league. Legit 7'1 290 pounds physical freak. Only 21 years old, hopefully he matures and becomes more comitted/determined.