PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency

SixersFan76
06-11-2009, 02:02 PM
I know it's early to look at free agency, before knowing whether any other moves are in store or what position we'll address in the draft. We don't know if Miller is coming back, if we are drafting a PG, SG, C or PF at 17 or with a different pick, whether we'll get a second rounder or possibly, even another first round pick. We don't know if anyone else is on the move.

That being said, here is a list of players I think the Sixers should be looking at in free agency. The list is compiled with the caveat that we have no more than the MLE and LLE to spend, and that we likely won't spend the full MLE on any one player unless we can keep the contract to 1 or 2 years in order to allow us max flexibility when contracts of Dalembert and Green come off the books and when we have to re-sign Thad.

PG - Mike Bibby - I'll be surprised if Atlanta doesn't re-sign him, but if they don't and Miller leaves, he could be a good fit here. Not a lot of teams are likely to offer him anything beyond the MLE and he's a Philly kid, so that's a maybe. Because he's a porous defender and has a lot of miles on his wheels, I would be hesitant to bring him in rather than trying to see what Williams and possibly our first round pick could do.

Zaza Pachulia - he could be a nice fit as a physical big man off the bench who can play the 5 and some 4. If we moved Dalembert, he could be a part of a center rotation. Because he is a young center who is relatively productive, someone is likely to overpay him, but I'd keep an eye on him.

Sean May might not be tendered by the Bobcats. He's a kid who never put it together and is coming off an injury, but if he's in relatively decent shape, he's worth a flier. He won't cost more than the minimum and he'll play on a one year deal - probably non-guaranteed. He hasn't played more than 35 games in any one season and missed an entire season already so he's more of a deep reserve type - take a flier based on talent and not lose much of anything if he doesn't work out or gets hurt. Obviously, his healthy would be the first thing Sixers would have to ascertain before even making him a non-guaranteed offer.

Joe Smith - I doubt he comes here. We aren't quite a contender, we can't offer him a huge role, and he'd be getting the LLE or the veteran's minimum. He is however a good locker room veteran who still has some gas in the tank. I'm guessing Cleveland keeps him or he goes to a team like Houston, Lakers, San Antonio, etc., but if he's out there, I'd give him a call.

Gerald Green - he would be fairly redundant here in that he's an athletic kid who never put it together, plays no defense, and has an inconsistent shot. He is however only 23 and was the best high school player in America only a few years back. If no one gives him an offer, I'd invite him to the Summer League and think about giving him a one year, non-guaranteed contract to see if he can finally put it together. A long shot, but because of his age and natural talent, someone we should keep an eye on just in case.

James Singleton - this is a kid I would try very hard to sign to a one year offer for about $1 million or so. Give him just slightly above the minimum and an option year for next season and that should do it. This an ideal guy to replace Evans. He is a role player who is still only 27. He's got some experience and is a hustle player who bangs willingly, tries hard, goes after rebounds and is a spastic, if unspectacular defender. He would essentially give us everything Reggie gave, but for $1 million instead of $10.

Dahntay Jones - one year for the minimum and he'd be a nice fit. He plays defense and is a very good perimeter defender at SG and SF - something we don't have on the bench right now.

CJ Watson - if Golden State doesn't match, he could be a nice addition. He likely will cost in the vicinity of $3.5 to $4.5 million, but the kid can flat out shoot and he might be a nice PG for us if he can defend a bit. He won't make any great passes and he's not a pass first point, but he doesn't turn the ball over much either and could play well in the same back court with Iguodala. Obviously, he only becomes a target if we A - don't take a point in the first round and don't bring back Miller and B - think there is a high probability Golden State doesn't match the offer.

Von Wafer - even with adding Kapono, we're short on shooters. Wafer is only 23 and is a kid who can stick the 3 and put the ball on the floor some. Depending on the cost, he could be a decent targer. At his age, he still has a ceiling he hasn't reached and could be a better option than Willie Green for 18 to 22 minutes off the bench.

Rasho Nesterovic - if Sixers trade Dalembert and don't get a C in return, he could be someone I'd give $4 million on a one year deal to. He would be a nice fit in Jordan's system.

Quinton Ross - another like akin to Jones - one year deal for the minimum to be a deep reserve who can come in and play some perimeter defense off the bench when the need arises.

Rodney Carney - I know we already had him, but he's in the same mold as Ross and Jones. One year, minimum. Not old, athletic, can hit a few 3's. Can play SG and SF.

Jason Collins - a guy I would take a look at to replace Theo's role. He's a great veteran presence in the locker room and a professional. On offense, he's a zero. On defense, he's a very solid low post defender. Won't block shots, but knows how to use his body to deny the ball and keep people from dominating the paint. A role player who might only appear in 35 to 45 games at about 5 to 8 minutes a game, but every team still needs those and right now, we don't have a guy like him on the roster.

Shelden Williams - he very well could be out of the league, but I'd take a look. He's 25 and he knows how to play. Probably not as active or agile as Evans, but still a kid who would give an effort and get some boards. He'd be a deep reserve, but a hustle guy who works hard.

Malik Rose - he would be the 14th or 15th guy, but coaches love him and teammates respect him. He plays defense and he hustles. A consumate professional and a local guy. Great veteran presence at the minimum.

Robert Swift - people probably wonder why anyone would even consider him, even for the minimum? Primarily because bigs take a while to develop and he's still only 23 and is 7-1, 275. Will he ever be anything more than a back up center, given best circumstances? Unlikely. But right now, we don't have a true back up C. Speights and Smith are more hybrids. Swift is a true 5. If he doesn't get any offers, I'd give him a summer league invite at the minimum and consider a one year offer for the minimum to see if we get lucky.

Anthony Johnson - he has a player option he very well might exercise and he'd only be a good fit if we let Miller go and drafted a first round point. He'd be a nice veteran mentor to Williams and the rookie and can still play passable defense and stick an open 3.

Ime Udoka - same as Jones and Carney. He's older and is not a very good shooter, but he's played for a winning organization and won't cost much. Can defend 2 positions fairly well.

Kyrylo Fesenko - Utah is still considering whether to tender him. If they don't, I hope we look at him hard. We drafted and traded the kid and he's never gotten a chance in Utah, but he seems like a tough kid who will give you 6 hard fouls, get some rebounds, some put backs and block a shot here and there. Young and moves relatively well for how big he is.

Morriss Almond - I don't think he can play in the league. That being said, based on his age and college career, I would bring him into the Summer League and see what he can do.

Jarron Collins - basically similar to his twin bother - not as good a post defender, but a quintessential third string center. Veteran good guy who takes up space well.

There are others out there, but I don't believe we can afford them, they fit here, or would want to play in Philly. Let me know what you guys think of these guys and anyone else you think we might be able to take a look at on the cheap.

Also, if anyone knows of an European free agents who are looking to come to the NBA and might be affordable and would play on a one or two year deal, toss them into the mix. Toronto has gotten lucky a few times with that route. By the way, I didn't put a guy like Anthony Parker in there because I think he might get a too good to refuse offer from a team in Europe and that he would likely be too expensive for our blood, but if not, he'd be another guy I would seriously look at in spite of his age and declining productivity. He's a solid defender and 3 point shooter and if the price and years are right, he would be an excellent fit.

Posterize246
06-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Just wanted to point out that Bibby isn't really a Philly kid. He was born near here I believe but he's been in Arizona most his life. Kinda like calling Michael Jordan a NY kid.

Just checked...born in Cherry Hill, NJ and moved to Arizona when he was 2 years old :cheers:

Off of that list Von Wafer is the one that sticks out to me. Quinton Ross I like also.

GOBB
06-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Von Wafer is my first choice of bringing in another shooter. Actually wouldnt mind him. CJ Watson distant second. The rest of that list isnt anything I'd consider.

Yeah Bibby is nowhere near a Philly kid. But D.Jones is a solid defender. I just cant see him leaving Denver situation unless he got overpaid. And I dont want that to happen here.

SixersFan76
06-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Didn't realize that Bibby moved to Arizona at such a young age. For some reason I thought he moved there as a teen. I know he went to high school out there, but I didn't realize he was two. I know some family is still here, but yeah, his dad left when Cheeks was fired and is now in Memphis so perhaps he'd have less of an interest in Philly based on being born here than I thought. As is, he's both a long shot because I think he stays in Atlanta, and because of his age and lack of defensive ability. But on offensive fit, he would be perfect here and he and Brand could run the pick and roll really well. I think he would enjoy playing with a low post scorer again as he did with Webber and he likes running off the ball to hoist up jumpers and Iggy handles the ball quite a bit and is a good passer. But you're absolutely right. The likelihood of his coming here based on being a hometown kid alone just went from 5% to .05% based on what you said.

Posterize246
06-11-2009, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't mind Quinton Ross at all. He's a minimum guy with great defensive ability. I just don't know anything else that he does. But for depth purposes, and to get some defensive personnel to help an offensive minded coach, he wouldn't be all that bad.

GOBB
06-11-2009, 03:34 PM
I dont know that much about Q.Ross. Hear he is one of those fiesty perimeter defenders. But I'm lost on what he brings.

SixersFan76
06-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Fact is, depending on how things play out, we'll be looking at a couple of deep reserves. So while a guy like Malik Rose isn't anything to get excited about, guys like Theo and Marshall played an important role in the locker room last season - teaching the kids about professionalism, defense, the NBA, being the mouthpiece of the coaches, and occassionally providing a few valuable minutes. Every team needs those guys. I'm using Rose as an example - not to say I want him over someone else, but right now this is what we have:

PG - Lou Williams and Royal Ivey. Ivey can in theory still opt out, although I'm guessing he takes the player option. He could be traded with ease or waived, without much of a cap consequence. Williams at this point is more of a combo guard. We might re-sign Miller. If not, we could draft a PG. If we draft one, we will also likely be looking at a veteran to add. If we don't draft one and don't re-sign Williams, we'll be looking for a guy in either free agency or the trade market. No matter what happens, we'll be looking to add a player. Two roster spots.

SG - Andre Iguodala and Willie Green. Iggy is a swingman who probably will play a lot more SG this season with a healthy Brand. Green will go back to being a back up. In all likelihood, we'll be looking to add a pure SG or a swingman who can also play the 3. Ideally someone who can play defense and hit the 3. Two roster spots.

SF - Thad Young and Jason Kapono. Young can play some 4 in a small line-up and Kapono can play some SG since he's equally incompetent defensively at both the 2 and the 3. Young isn't horrible defensively at the 3, but he needs a lot of work. Kapono is horrible. Iggy can also fill in here. We might want to add one more player - probably someone who is a good defensive player. Two roster spots.

PF - Elton Brand is coming back. Marresse Speights should continue to improve. Speights can also play some 5 and Brand sometimes plays the 5 in a small line-up. However, there are serious health concerns with Brand and after the Evans trade, we could use some more depth and veteran presence. We are almost guaranteed to add another PF. Two roster spots.

C - Samuel Dalembert is still here. Jason Smith, who can play the 4 or the 5, is coming back after an ACL tare. We should be thinking about adding another player here as well because one guy might no longer fit the system and another is coming off an injury. Two roster spots.

We have one draft pick - 17th overall. One roster spot.

Presume right now that we have 11 roster spots filled. While 13 is the minimum, most teams, including the Sixers, carry 14. Many carry 15, the max. This is a season where it might make some sense for the Sixers to carry 15 players because they'll have some young kids in prominent roles and because they have two guys with serious injury questions. It might not make sense to have 15 guaranteed contracts right off the bat, to have 14 and have the 15th guy on a contract that doesn't become guaranteed until December, as NBA rules permit. Someone who can be either kept if he fits, or waived and either replaced later or re-signed to a couple of 10 day contracts. Depends on the level of flexibility they think they need.

Either way, it's safe to say that we need to fill at least 3, and possibly 4 roster spots in free agency. I'm guessing that of those, only one guy will make more than the minimum. There will be at least two players we will bring in for the minimum, not unlike Marshall and Theo last year. Most will not be sexy names - hence they are guys who are playing for the minimum. So it will be up to the Sixers to make those roster spots count. I'd venture to say that in spite of Marshall and Theo being marginal role players last season, between the two of them, they were responsible for at least 3 wins, if not 4 or 5. Even if all goes well next season, 4-5 wins could be the difference between being a 3rd or 4th seat and being a 7th or 8th. It could be the difference between playing in the second round or getting bounced in the first. So those roster spots are still important and they will be filled by either young guys who have yet to show a lot or veterans who are on the downside.

GOBB
06-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Yeah the roster will have to be filled. I'm just saying none of those guys move me for the most part.

Styles p
06-11-2009, 05:57 PM
i want bird man or von wafer.

ppierce34
06-11-2009, 06:33 PM
I'd love Anderson. Think Denver will do everything they can to keep him though, and he seems to like it there.

Wafer is an interesting option, especially if they could find a way to move Willie. I could see some type of veteran point, although not a ton of options.

SixersFan76
06-11-2009, 11:08 PM
I didn't list Birdman because I don't think we can afford him or that he would want to come here. I'd be shocked if Denver let him walk. There is also a pretty high risk factor with him. I'd certainly take a look at the guy, but I'm guessing Denver re-signs him and that he wants to re-sign there. 3 years and $15?

ppierce34
06-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Not too worried about the risk factor, but I agree Denver's not letting him go and if they do it's because someone offered him a lot of money. I could see Denver going as high as the full MLE, depending on if Kroenke wants to pay the tax, which he might as the team was pretty close and Birdman played a big part. So that would mean Sixers would have to throw a lot on the table, doesn't make sense.

SixersFan76
06-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Sixers can't offer more than the full MLE and I don't think they would offer the full MLE anyway. We have too much money invested in Brand and Dalembert and have two youngsters we are high on in Smith and Speights. We have a shortage of cap space and will need to re-sign Young before you know it. Stefanski isn't going to get the green light to pay luxury tax any time soon unless we're talking about a player who will make Sixers a legit contender. I can't imagine the Sixers going the full MLE at 3, 4 or 5 for Birdman and I can't see him agreeing to a one or two year deal.

ppierce34
06-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Exactly and honestly the only way I think you can get him is to offer him over the full MLE, because I think Denver will offer him that to keep him and he seems to like Denver.

SixersFan76
06-13-2009, 05:15 PM
I wonder who else will be interested in him. I think he and Big Baby Davis will draw some looks from teams. Gordon, Odom, Ariza, Turkogulu, Bibby, Felton, Sessions, Varejao, Marvin Williams, Miller, Kidd, Iverson, Wallace, McDyess, Crawford if he opts out, Artest, David Lee, Nate Robinson, Wilcox, Gortat, Grant Hill, Marion, Parker, Millsap, Boozer if he opts out, and Okur are the cream of this year's free agent crop. Some guys are restricted, so won't be easy to pry without a sing and trade, but overall, not a stellar bunch.

Gordon rejected a lot of money last season and I doubt anyone but the Bulls will pay the kid more than $12 million over 5 years.

Kobe loves Ariza, so I doubt the Lakers let him leave.

Odom is probably more likely to leave and he should get a lot of interest. I think he'll get more than the MLE, although maybe the best he can hope for is a full MLE for 5 years.

I think Turkogulu stays in Orlando, Bibby stays in Atlanta, Felton isn't likely going to another team without a sign and trade being worked out. Sessions could be had because Milwaukee is short on coin. A full MLE for 5 years would likely do it. Varejao likely stays in Cleveland unless Memphis makes him a stupid offer.

I have no idea where Miller, Kidd and Iverson will end up. They'll both be picky and have a limited number of teams looking at them.

I think it would be foolish for Crawford and Boozer to opt out and I think Utah keeps both Millsap and Okur, although Memo could end up in Detroit again.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rasheed Wallace ended up with the Spurs, Cleveland or Lakers (especially if Odom leaves). McDyess might go back to Detroit or sing with a team like the Celtics.

Guessing Artest stays in Houston, Marvin Williams takes a one year deal in Atlanta to become unrestricted next season.

New York will look to move both Lee and Robinson. They won't let Lee leave for nothing in all likelihood, although they might let Robinson go if someone made him a nice offer.

Wilcox could go anywhere - he lost a lot of value and might want a team that would give him a lot of playing time and a one year deal.

Parker could go back to Europe on a nice contract.

Hill likely stays with Phoenix or looks at San Antonio or the Celtics. Maybe he goes back to Orlando if they lose Turkogulu.

Gortat likely gets an offer Orlando won't match. I think anything over $3 million a year, they let him go. They need to re-sign Turkogulu and Gortat is not worth paying the luxury tax for.

Marion is a tough read. He hasn't been very productive since leaving Phoenix and seems to want a lot of money. If Toronto lets him walk, I can't imagine someone gives him over the full MLE and I'd be shocked if anyone gave him the full MLE at the full 5 years, although someone might. If he accepts the MLE, he could do a lot worse than the Spurs. Lakers would gladly take him to replace Odom if Odom leaves, or Ariza for that matter. Maybe Portland and Detroit take a look. Maybe Houston if they don't re-sign Artest. Celtics?

ppierce34
06-13-2009, 06:21 PM
I think just about everyone would have interest in a guy like Anderson. High energy, athletic, good defensively, and knows his role.

The rest of free agency will be interesting, there's some marquee names, but they're's questions with them and teams are gonna be hesitant with the possiblity of big time free agency next year.

SixersFan76
06-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Given that salary cap is going to go down and luxury tax threshold is being lowered, coupled with a lackluster free agent class, overall economic downturn and the potentially stellar free agent class of 2010, coupled with a number of teams that might have salary cap space, it will be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out.

I think good players who are nonetheless not true difference makers, but solid role players, who would have normally gotten a lot of attention for above the MLE might not get the types of offers they expect. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I guess everything becomes more interesting if Kobe opts out and decides that he'll entertain offers, but that's a pipe dream for teams who might go after him. He'll get his fourth ring this season and go for 5 next. In fact, he might opt out to sign a slightly smaller, but longer term contract to give Lakers more flexibility to add other pieces. That guy has legacy on the line and I'm guessing the minimum number of rings with one team that he'd be happy with is 6 so he doesn't have less than MJ.

ppierce34
06-15-2009, 09:51 AM
I really wonder how many contracts above the MLE we'll see given out. I'd be surprised if Kobe opts out, but he could I guess. Outside of that a guy like Boozer should get decent money. Marion, I don't know, he's got that Phoenix system stigma now and his attitude has shown through a bit. But guys like Bibby, AI, Kidd, Miller, McDyess, they may see above MLE, but I'd be surprised. Which will make it interesting because unlike a lot of years, it puts a lot of teams into play. That MLE is gonna be pretty valuable.

SixersFan76
06-15-2009, 10:51 AM
You know, coming off injury, I wouldn't be surprised if Boozer didn't opt out this year and rebuild his value. This likely would be his best bet to get a huge contract next year. Fact of the matter is that unless Detroit or Memphis are ready to give him a max or near max long term contract this year, he won't have any other suitors who can afford him. He would be a good fit for both teams, but they might be concerned about the injury, especially in light of what happened with the Sixers and Brand. If he can't get a nibble from one of those two, he'd be better off playing this season in Utah and becoming a free agent next season, when more teams will have money. Most will be disappointed when LeBron stays in Cleveland or goes to New York (I dont think he considers anyone else), when Wade stays in Miami, when Kobe stays in LA. Yao might go to Cleveland, but otherwise he wouldn't leave Houston. Amare is likely to be traded this season and re-sign to a long term deal with the team trading for him. Bosh might be the only guy who is legitimately available to teams so Boozer could be the default option for a number of teams.

Marion also has his age to contend with. If Bibby doesn't re-sign with Atlanta, I would be shocked if someone gave him above the MLE. McDyess, Wallace, and Kidd are at best MLE players at this stage of their careers. Would be shocked if LA let Ariza go anywhere. Odom might command above the MLE from someone - he's still young enough. Maybe AI, although I doubt it. Guys like Okur, Turkogulu, Gordon, Lee, Felton and Millsap will get above the MLE, but most likely re-sign with their current teams. Lee might be sign and traded. Okur might go to Detroit.

ppierce34
06-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Well Detroit has made no secret of their desire for Boozer, and Gordon as well. So I wouldn't be surprised if he hit the market.

SixersFan76
06-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Except if Detroit wants to ensure Boozer is healthy, they'd have to work out compensation with Utah. Boozer isn't likely to opt out if Detroit then flags his health and backs out of giving him a mega bucks deal. Other than Memphis, he wouldn't have other suitors and would be in a less than glorious position to maximize his earning power. If he doesn't opt out however, Detroit has no way to verify his health short of figuring out some way to compensate Utah so as to have them allow access to one of their players for a full physical. Therein lies the rub - until Utah re-signs Millsap, they might not be so quick to give up Boozer's services for next season. Also, what will they ask from Detroit in return?

I haven't seen articles about Gordon going to Detroit. It seems like they have more pressing needs in the front court, but Gordon could in theory fit in well next to Stuckey, who is a physical 6-5 and could guard SGs while Gordon guards opposing PGs. However, Detroit just gave Rip Hamilton a 4 year extension for big bucks last year and unless they find a way to move him, they'll have too many guards and not enough playing time. If they find a taker for Rip however, Gordon seems like he'd be a nice fit in Detroit. Still, I'd be suprised if Chicago just let him walk without putting up a fight. They offered him 5 years and $60 million last year. Is Detroit really going to make a much better offer for a relatively limited player like Gordon? Seems like Dumars is too smart to do that, but who knows.

GOBB
06-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Larry Brown loves defense and rebounds. Samuel Dalembert is his man. :pimp:

ppierce34
06-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Except if Detroit wants to ensure Boozer is healthy, they'd have to work out compensation with Utah. Boozer isn't likely to opt out if Detroit then flags his health and backs out of giving him a mega bucks deal. Other than Memphis, he wouldn't have other suitors and would be in a less than glorious position to maximize his earning power. If he doesn't opt out however, Detroit has no way to verify his health short of figuring out some way to compensate Utah so as to have them allow access to one of their players for a full physical. Therein lies the rub - until Utah re-signs Millsap, they might not be so quick to give up Boozer's services for next season. Also, what will they ask from Detroit in return?

I haven't seen articles about Gordon going to Detroit. It seems like they have more pressing needs in the front court, but Gordon could in theory fit in well next to Stuckey, who is a physical 6-5 and could guard SGs while Gordon guards opposing PGs. However, Detroit just gave Rip Hamilton a 4 year extension for big bucks last year and unless they find a way to move him, they'll have too many guards and not enough playing time. If they find a taker for Rip however, Gordon seems like he'd be a nice fit in Detroit. Still, I'd be suprised if Chicago just let him walk without putting up a fight. They offered him 5 years and $60 million last year. Is Detroit really going to make a much better offer for a relatively limited player like Gordon? Seems like Dumars is too smart to do that, but who knows.

There was an article that came out yesterday talking about the Pistons desire for both Boozer and Gordon. THe word was they were interested in moving Rip to free up more money.

ppierce34
06-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Larry Brown loves defense and rebounds. Samuel Dalembert is his man. :pimp:

Can you imagine how bad LB would just verbally abuse him when he made those typical Sam mistakes. It would be great entertainment,

SixersFan76
06-15-2009, 04:51 PM
It's actually not as crazy as it sounds for two reasons. A - Brown is crazy, so while he hates a guy he has, several years later he seems to have a lobotomy and convinces himself that the guy he wanted to trade was actually everything he's ever hoped for in a player; and B - Bobcats were so desperate to add a true center to their roster in order to enable Okafor to play the 4 that they traded for a limited stiff like Diop in spite of the fact that he had a 5 year contract.

That being said, without a third team, Bobcats just don't have the players or contracts that would make trading Dalembert enticing to us in any way. We certainly don't want to be saddled with the 4 years left on Diop's contract and with Smith coming back and after adding Kapono, we have no need for Radmanovic. It makes little sense to add Mohammed, who has 2 years left on his deal and can't play and another stiff or aging player with an even longer contract.

the big stick
06-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks for an interesting tread SixersFan76.

I think it is in our best interest to go after Robert Swift because of all of the things you listed earlier. He is a true 7 footer, young and he will come cheap because he has been such a disappointment.

I don

SixersFan76
06-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Rip is getting into his 30's and with 4 years left at pretty significant money, they might not find too many takers in this economic climate. Can the Pistons afford both? It would be a huge shift in philosophy for Dumars, who loves defense. Both Gordon and Boozer are poor defensive players. Without a true center on the roster or a shot blocker at the 5, the Pistons would have to be an offensive team to be successful. Can they hope to compete for a title with Stuckey, Gordon, Prince and Boozer as their cornerstones? I'm not so sure. Detroit is a place with pretty high expectations.

GOBB
06-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Monday, June 15, 2009
Ivey Declines Option
Royal Ivey, who appeared in 71 games as a backup guard for the 76ers, has declined his player option for the 2009-10 season.

Keith Glass, Ivey's agent, informed Sixers president/general manager Ed Stefanski of Ivey's decision in a letter late last week.

Ivey, who was listed as earning $854,957 this season, was scheduled to earn the veteran's minimum of $959,111 in '09-10. He originally had until July 2 to make his decision, but agreed to move the date to today.

Ivey, known primarily for his defense and an ability to fill in at both backcourt positions, averaged 3.0 points in 12.1 minutes.

1 guard down.

Posterize246
06-15-2009, 09:34 PM
I actually liked Ivey:confusedshrug:

He was the Reggie Evans of PG's pretty much.

Venja42
06-16-2009, 01:35 AM
Lets think Point Guard for a moment here.

I only need to say one name.

Ramon Sessions.

Young. Raw. Talented. And he's experienced after two seasons in Milwaukee. The Bucks have been looking to cut salary like everyone else and there was speculation before about their disinterest in resigning Sessions. Plus they have Ridnour under contract and the #10 selection in the draft to pick up another young point guard.

Go after Sessions. He's a restricted free agent but if the Bucks draft a PG in June, they won't match in July.

SixersFan76
06-16-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm surprised by Ivey's move, but happy. It frees up a roster spot and gives the Sixers added flexibility. He's a dime a dozen player and we can get a comparable if not better player in free agency.

As for Sessions, the problem with him is that he is a terrible fit with our current line-up. The kid can't shoot. He has absolutely no 3 point shot - none. He struggles shooting from deep and he's not a very good defensive player either. For the amount of years and money it would take, we'd probably be better off giving Andre Miller a 3 year deal rather than signing Sessions to a 5 year deal. Miller is the better player right now.

If the future of the team is Iguodala at SG and Young at SF, with Brand as our centerpiece PF, we need a PG who can shoot the rock, can run the pick and roll, and can help space the floor by at least being able to knock down some wide open 3's - Sessions can't do any of those things.

He's a nice young player to be sure, but given the choice, if we're going to go after a PG who is a restricted free agent, I'd rather go after Raymond Felton, who in my opinion is a better player right now, although still not a great fit, or Watson from Golden State, who at least offensively would fit in nice with the current team.

ppierce34
06-16-2009, 06:19 PM
It's actually not as crazy as it sounds for two reasons. A - Brown is crazy, so while he hates a guy he has, several years later he seems to have a lobotomy and convinces himself that the guy he wanted to trade was actually everything he's ever hoped for in a player; and B - Bobcats were so desperate to add a true center to their roster in order to enable Okafor to play the 4 that they traded for a limited stiff like Diop in spite of the fact that he had a 5 year contract.

That being said, without a third team, Bobcats just don't have the players or contracts that would make trading Dalembert enticing to us in any way. We certainly don't want to be saddled with the 4 years left on Diop's contract and with Smith coming back and after adding Kapono, we have no need for Radmanovic. It makes little sense to add Mohammed, who has 2 years left on his deal and can't play and another stiff or aging player with an even longer contract.

It would be pure entertainment, I'd love it for the simple fact of getting rid of Sam and then I would have to watch more Bobcats games just to watch LB lean back in his chair rubbing his eyes and screaming at Sam as he comes to the sideline. First time Sam blows him off in that Sam way, the over/under on Sam's minutes the rest of the season has to start off at 10.

SixersFan76
06-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Over under on how many games it would take for Larry to demand Bobcats trade Dalembert? I'd say 12.

SixersFan76
06-17-2009, 09:02 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59866/20090617/has_detroit_given_gordon_an_$11m_promise/

ppierce34
06-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Definitely think that Rip could be on his way out. Joe really wanted to blow that team up.

SixersFan76
06-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Just curious about who would want to take on that contract of a player in his 30's for 4 more years in this economic climate. He's a good player, so you can't just give him away for nothing. At the same time, you won't get value for him because of the length of his deal.

ppierce34
06-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Don't know, interesting that Dumars extended him at the start of the season. I think he thought the Iverson trade would light the spark back up in those guys that they had seemed to lose. It obviously didn't and might have just pushed Joe over the edge to get rid of all but Prince.

It is a tough trade because I think Rip is overrated. He's one-dimensional scorer who fit well into the system that the Pistons ran during that run. I don't know how effective he can be outside of that. He can't beat anyone off the dribble, his range doesn't really extend beyond 18-20 feet, and you have to get him open. He's adequate defender, but nothing special. Doesn't rebound or pass the ball well, either.

I'd say Joe might look to just get expiring deals to free up more money.

SixersFan76
06-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Can't 100% vouch for the accuracy of this info but here are some interesting numbers.

Teams under the salary cap - 6

Atlanta - $10.5 million under the cap, but need to re-sign Marvin Williams, Bibby, Pachulia and Murray (at least in theory). They also have a hold on Josh Childress, money they can free up by renouncing his rights and making him an unrestricted free agent. Rumors suggest they are shopping Josh Smith.

Detroit - they are nearly $18 million under the cap and there are rumors that they might be willing to trade away their first round pick (15) for a future pick/s in order to free up another $2 million or so under the cap.

Memphis - they have the most money to spend, nearly $20 million - and ability to renounce the rights to Hakim Warrick, making him an unrestricted free agent, but freeing up the hold and having a few extra million under the cap. They are also rumored to be shopping the second pick overall.

Minnesota - they have nearly $8 million under the cap that they can play with.

Oklahoma City - $16 million under the cap.

Toronto - they have nearly $8 million under the cap and can free up another two by renouncing the rights to Joey Graham. They are supposedly interested in re-signing Shawn Marion, who will cost at least the full MLE.

Teams that can spend the full MLE now without incurring the luxury tax - 5

Philly is one, but that might change if we re-sign Andre Miller.

Chicago - forget about it they re-sign Ben Gordon.

New Jersey - in theory, they could use it, in practice, they are trying to cut payroll, are trying to sell the team, and want to free up as much cap space as possible for free agent class of 2010.

Portland - that could change if they re-sign Channing Frye to a contract paying him above $3 million a year. They have a deep pocket owner who would pay for the right player no matter what.

Sacramento - it's a rebuilding team, so not sure if they would have any interest in adding long term salary until they know where they stand a little better.

The Jazz could in theory be at the cap or a bit under it if Boozer opts out and they renounce the rights to Millsap. They also want to keep Okur. They also could keep everyone and spend the MLE and pay the luxury tax, but it's not very likely.

Several teams would use the MLE even if it meant paying the luxury tax, presuming it's the right player. That would include Boston, Cleveland, Lakers and Orlando. The Magic also have to re-sign Turkogulu and might want to think about keeping Gortat. These teams are contenders, so one would think that if the right guy came along, they would spend the dough.

Dallas might be willing to pay the luxury tax and use the full MLE just because Cuban is the owner.

GOBB
06-22-2009, 12:14 AM
They are also rumored to be shopping the second pick overall.

I wonder what Memphis wants in return. Hmmmm

SixersFan76
06-22-2009, 12:19 AM
With that franchise, I bet they still don't know. Seems like Rubio has little desire to play there and he doesn't seem like an ideal fit with Mayo and Gay, two guys who like the ball in their hands a lot. He didn't even want to go work out there. Thabeet got hurt when it was time to work out there. Plus, if they only view him as a shot blocker and rebounder, not sure it's worth spending the second overall pick on him unless they think he would be great at both. Harden seems a little redundant with Mayo and Gay. They do have a lot of cap space. At the end, if they think Rubio is the second best player, they all but have to take him, even if he stays in Europe this season. They do need an athletic shot blocking center who can rebound and a low post scoring PF. PG is another area where they could probably take a guy if they think Conley isn't going to be great and someone else is.

GOBB
06-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Couple more days. Free agency starts the following week. Hurry up!

With that franchise, I bet they still don't know. Seems like Rubio has little desire to play there and he doesn't seem like an ideal fit with Mayo and Gay, two guys who like the ball in their hands a lot. He didn't even want to go work out there. Thabeet got hurt when it was time to work out there. Plus, if they only view him as a shot blocker and rebounder, not sure it's worth spending the second overall pick on him unless they think he would be great at both. Harden seems a little redundant with Mayo and Gay. They do have a lot of cap space. At the end, if they think Rubio is the second best player, they all but have to take him, even if he stays in Europe this season. They do need an athletic shot blocking center who can rebound and a low post scoring PF. PG is another area where they could probably take a guy if they think Conley isn't going to be great and someone else is.

I agree i dont know what Memphis is thinking...one second i think of ways they could easily add/improve thier team given cap space, #2 pick. But i suddenly think of them moving Gasol to get rid of his contract. As i read reports ownership really didnt want to "spend" much money. If thats true then what are they attempting to do? Field a roster of young, promising players until its time to trade them for more young promising players? :confusedshrug: Like the Oakland A's.

David Lee is a free agent. Granted i dont think he is anywhere near as good as his stats were he is still solid, young and fits the makeup of that team. I havent heard any interest from Memphis. Not that I searched deeply but eh.

SixersFan76
06-22-2009, 12:50 AM
They could land Boozer or maybe even try to blow Utah out of the water with a huge offer for Millsap, but I don't know what that team's goal is. Do they want to move? Does the owner want to sell? I'm not sure what their long term plan is.

Marc Gasol could very well take the road Navarro took - decide it's not worth ruining your career by playing for a terrible NBA team and sign a huge contract with a contending team in Europe and be done with it.

Gay will be a restricted free agent after this season and if a lot of the guys who are expected to be free agents next season stay with their current teams, he might get a max offer from someone who struck out on the LeBron's of the world.

It's not clear if they love Conley at the point long term, although they took the kid 3rd and finally turned over the reigns to him by the second half of the season.

I find it puzzling that they keep bringing in Harden - do they think they could with with Mayo at the point, Harden at the 2 and Gay at the 3? They better get a stud defensive C and PF who block shots and rebound and can score in the post a bit. Than again, he seems to be the only guy projected in the top 5 who is willing to even work out for these guys.

SixersFan76
06-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Considering that both Bowens and Oberto only have partially guaranteed contracts and are almost certain to be bought out before contracts become fully guaranteed (I believe they only have to eat about $3 million) and considering they can buy out Thomas as well, the Bucks just saved $25 million over two years. Expect them to put up a fight to keep either Villanueva or Sessions, and possibly both.

GOBB
06-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Hopefully they feel those two are WORTH what they will end up spending. Last they need is to give out fat contracts and after year 2 look to find someone else to eat the rest of the deal and start over.

Posterize246
06-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Sessions is worth keeping but they'd be smart to let Villanueva walk unless they can get him for a good deal, though I think they'll overpay for him.

SixersFan76
06-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Interesting trade between Minnesota and the Wiz. Seems like Minny wants to get an all new back court and Washington wants to be back in the playoffs. Wiz, if healthy, will have a very nice line-up and a good deal of depth. Arenas, Foye, Haywood, Butler, Jamison, Crittenton, Young, Miller - that's a good deal of fire power.

SixersFan76
06-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Bucks according to reports are much more likely to re-sign Villanueva than Sessions. No bigs in this draft. They can get a good PG at 10. Young, sweet shooting bigs are a premium in this league.

Posterize246
06-24-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm not sure if Flip Murray was mentioned in here at all but I can't remember seeing him. Instant offense kind of guy, better shooter than Green (87 threes made in 80 games played, 36%), and Jamal Crawford is about to be a Hawk. Murray's from Philly :confusedshrug:

GOBB
06-24-2009, 04:30 PM
No thanks on Flip, hometown kid and all.

SixersFan76
06-24-2009, 04:32 PM
A 6-3 shooting guard who can't play defense. By the way, where will he go according to GOBB's crystal ball? Seems like it won't be Atlanta since they have Johnson and just traded for Crawford. But I'm sure you know better than anyone else.

Posterize246
06-24-2009, 04:40 PM
By the way, where will he go according to GOBB's crystal ball? Seems like it won't be Atlanta since they have Johnson and just traded for Crawford. But I'm sure you know better than anyone else.
You're looking like a fool now.

ppierce34
06-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Things getting touchy in here again?

SixersFan76
06-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Yes, I'm the one who is looking like a fool. I'm the one who claims to know what everyone will do. What LeBron is thinking, what position Sixers will draft, what everyone will do. Everyone else is right and I'm wrong. Thanks for your contributions to this thread.

Posterize246
06-24-2009, 09:26 PM
You're acting like you're 9 years old dude. Chill.

SixersFan76
06-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Why, because I suggested GOBB has a crystal ball? You did understand that comment wasn't directed at you right? I post stuff from different websites, from Insider, from different news reports, etc. to share info with fellow Sixer fans. One fan seems to think that he is always right, everyone else is always wrong and nit picks at senseless portions of posts. He doesn't post valuable information, he just picks on others. Just saying.

Posterize246
06-24-2009, 10:09 PM
You did understand that comment wasn't directed at you right?
I know.

But all this started over a silly argument of GOBB saying they're picking a guard and you thinking there's a chance they don't go that way. There's a chance of many things. There's a chance they pull a pick out of their ass and select Ahmad Nivins at #17 because anything can happen but you know it won't happen just like I'm sure you know they're drafting a guard. The "anything can happen" argument can be put into place anywhere but it seems like you're using it just for the sake of having a different opinion. And GOBB's already ready for the Sixers to draft a guard and then have you say "well that doesn't mean they were 100% going into the draft with the mindset of going after a guard". He's ready for it.

It's true anything can happen on draft night. But GOBB's saying if the Sixers stay at #17, they don't move up or down, and any of the mentioned guards are available...that's their selection. GOBB knows it, I believe you know it, Stefanski knows it. We have 2 actual guards on our whole roster currently, regardless of PG or SG. A guard will be the pick (like I said if we stay at 17 and any of those guards are available) and if not me and GOBB will put our tail between our legs and bow down to you.

GOBB
06-28-2009, 09:31 PM
The roster as of today...

Lou Williams/Jrue Holiday
Andre Iguodala/Willie Green
Thaddeus Young/Jason Kapono
Elton Brand/Marreese Speights
Samuel Dalembert/Jason Smith

Wonder what the Sixers will look to add?

Posterize246
06-28-2009, 09:47 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0193/4988/act_von_wafer_feature.jpg

He's the only guy I'm really interested in. Gortat I like but he's restricted and I'm not willing to give him the MLE just for the sake of keeping Orlando from matching because he's not worth that. If the Magic are really interested in Sheed and Brandon Bass they may let Gortat go but overpaying him is not something I want and any small deal they'll match. I wouldn't mind throwing him a fair deal, if he accepts it and Orlando decides for whatever reason to not match, then you got a deal. If they match then well, you expected it.

GOBB
06-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah Von Wafer is someone I'd like to give a chance too. CJ Watson is interesting as well but I'm unsure what kind of player he really is. 3pt % looks solid but he only hit 40 3pters while avg 24mpg. How much of a shooter is he? Unsure.

You like Gortat?

What do you think the minutes would look like say if they were to add Von Wafer. With Andre Miller and Ivey gone? Thats minutes to be had.

Posterize246
06-28-2009, 10:35 PM
I like Gortat in limited minutes. Meaning I wouldn't mind him being a starter as long as he's not getting over 25 mpg. What I like about him is he knows his role, so pretty much the opposite of Dalembert. He knows he's out there to set screens, rebound, block shots, and get a bucket when it comes. And he's quick for being so huge. He doesn't turn into Philip "Hot Sauce" Champion with 7 seconds left on the shot clock like Dalembert likes to do.

Wafer I don't know...He's a decent shooter and a good athlete. Allows us to not have to rely on Kapono to be our only shooter. Iguodala and Thad are gonna get a bulk of minutes but when Brand sits and we move Thad to the 4 a Wafer/Iggy/Thad lineup could be a monster athletically. He got 19 mpg with the Rockets, if we could get him in that 23 range that'd be cool. Another double digit scorer from the bench to pair with Lou, and I believe Speights will be in the 9 ppg range. Wafer's another guy who could be overpaid by some team in need of a starting 2 though.

Our MLE doesn't mean as much as a team in need of a starting 2 also offering the MLE.

Posterize246
06-28-2009, 10:40 PM
I like Gortat in limited minutes. Meaning I wouldn't mind him being a starter as long as he's not getting over 25 mpg. What I like about him is he knows his role, so pretty much the opposite of Dalembert. He knows he's out there to set screens, rebound, block shots, and get a bucket when it comes. And he's quick for being so huge. He doesn't turn into Philip "Hot Sauce" Champion with 7 seconds left on the shot clock like Dalembert likes to do.

Wafer I don't know...He's a decent shooter and a good athlete. Allows us to not have to rely on Kapono to be our only shooter. Iguodala and Thad are gonna get a bulk of minutes but when Brand sits and we move Thad to the 4 a Wafer/Iggy/Thad lineup could be a monster athletically. He got 19 mpg with the Rockets, if we could get him in that 23 range that'd be cool. Another double digit scorer from the bench to pair with Lou, and I believe Speights will be in the 9 ppg range. Wafer's another guy who could be overpaid by some team in need of a starting 2 though.

Our MLE doesn't mean as much as a team in need of a starting 2 also offering the MLE.
Wow I just said "to pair with Lou on the bench". I really need to get used to the concept of Lou starting. Gonna take a while. Damn we need a scorer off the bench period.

Grinder
06-28-2009, 11:40 PM
Eh. Wafer's not worth the baggage. There's a reason that a guy with as much talent as he has can't stick on any team in this league. He had the nerves to piss off Rick Adelman (the coach that believed in him and gave him a chance) enough in a playoff game to get sent back to the locker for the remainder of it when they could have used him.

The only FA I'm really interested in is Chris Andersen (gives us an elite shot blocker that can run the floor and finish well at the rim - although I think he'll be demanding too much on the open market than we'll be willing to pay)

There's some good international FA PGs I like but not going bother listing them since we probably won't pursue.

Posterize246
07-03-2009, 12:29 PM
We contacted Mike Bibby only to find he wants to stay with Atlanta. But he also wants the same money Andre Miller wants. :violin:

GOBB
07-03-2009, 12:37 PM
I couldve told Ed not to waste his time with Bibby. Just like he shouldnt with Jason Kidd.

iggy>
07-03-2009, 12:46 PM
we should try to bring eric snow out of retirement.

Posterize246
07-03-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm hoping we don't get too desperate for a PG.

http://sportige.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/starbury.jpg

GOBB
07-03-2009, 01:30 PM
haha dont jinx us!

Posterize246
07-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Sixers contacted Rodney Carney but he wants more than the minimum which is what they offered.

GOBB
07-07-2009, 07:01 PM
You read Kate Fagen too Sixersfan76? Heh Heh Heh

But yeah, so far nothing really interesting from the Sixers.

1. Still trying to trade Dalembert and cant find a taker. Not even Houston
2. They want a vet PG but dont want to give a deal more than 2yrs, 1 being ideal. So the Andre Miller situation is at a halt
3. Sign and trading Andre Miller doesnt seem likely, not much interest there (Portland all but shot down that deal)
4. As you mentioned Rodney Carney was contract (why?) but he wants more than the vet minimum (based on what Rodney? lol)
5. Royal Ivey is interested coming back but with Jrue Holiday why bother?

Havent heard much else in terms of trades, free agent interest. My thinking which I've said before? Sixers holding out and lookin for the bargain deals. Where a guy tried to get some $$$$ and his options ran out. So a 1yr deal trying for next offseason could be the answer. I honestly hope we dont end up bringing in the Theo Ratliff, Donyell Marshall, Royal Ivey, Kareem Rush's of the free agent crops. I liked Ratliff and Donyell. But I dont think this team as is today and just added some spotty minute using vet backups on cheap helps.

Sixers could be depending bigtime on Elton Brand/Iggy (obvious reasons) but the development of Lou Williams, Thaddeus Young and Marreese Speights. Seems cliche as every year you expect it butI mean I think they want their best seasons to date. Especially Lou Williams.

What yall think?

Posterize246
07-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Who are our 2010 free agents? :confusedshrug:

I don't even think we have any.

dcathoops
07-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Throw out all the names you want, but the best free agent out there for our needs is named Allen Iverson

nicsman
07-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Throw out all the names you want, but the best free agent out there for our needs is named Allen Iverson
:banghead: For our needs? He has had his time in Philly, he has pretty much got himself back on good terms with the city and franchise, we don't need him to be back here screwing **** up again.

It might be the fairytale ending to Iverson's career, but I think Stefanski is more shrewd than that.

dcathoops
07-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Screw up what? Iggy has established himself, Brand is here now. Lou will only get better WITH Iverson's help. Do you want to keep running Willie Green out there as the starting guard?

Have you read D Wade's quotes? Why does he want him but we don't?

nicsman
07-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Screw up what? Iggy has established himself, Brand is here now. Lou will only get better WITH Iverson's help. Do you want to keep running Willie Green out there as the starting guard?

Have you read D Wade's quotes? Why does he want him but we don't?
You wanna send Thad Young to the bench and stunt his development in place of an aging and egotistical Iverson. No thanks.

dcathoops
07-09-2009, 08:25 PM
I love Thad - but he should be coming off the bench anyway. He is the perfect high energy guy to bring in after a few minutes. They are going to start the game trying to establish Brand and Andre, so his opportunities will be limited at the start. you can sub him first, basically for anyone and move guys around.

Posterize246
07-10-2009, 01:39 AM
So now that it's pretty much known Lou will be the starter, who are some veteran PG's the Sixers could be targeting?

After looking through all the veteran PG's out there who could play significant backup minutes, I've found just 2 players. Jarrett Jack (restricted) and Anthony Carter (unrestricted). This is horrible.

Maybe Indiana's signing of Dahntay Jones would make them less likely to match an offer to Jack?

GOBB
07-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Willie can play some PG so I doubt they go after a guy who will eat up significant backup minutes.

Posterize246
07-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Willie can play some PG so I doubt they go after a guy who will eat up significant backup minutes.
So you mean we bring back Kevin Ollie for the 46th time?

GOBB
07-10-2009, 02:33 PM
So you mean we bring back Kevin Ollie for the 46th time?

:oldlol: I hope not. If Iggy plays 38mpg Lou plays 30mpg. Willie plays 22-24mpg. How much time is left for a backup? I doubt Jrue sits and watches. He might get some action/throw into the fire just for his defensive ability. Not sure. I dont want Anthony Carter. Really cant stand his game. I'd take CJ Watson instead.

Posterize246
07-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Well if the Duhon rumors have any truth we would get our backup PG and still keep our MLE, though I doubt we use it. Maybe a portion of it if anything. I still believe we'll sign a big somewhere. Smith/Dalembert/Brand/Speights are our bigs right now. 2 Young guys, 2 of them coming off injury, and 1 wants to be traded and we're trying to trade him. Here's a list of UNRESTRICTED bigs still left out there.

Leon Powe (I like him, but knee troubles would make him nothing but a minimum guy to me right now)
Mikki Moore (no thanks)
Sean May (nope)
Rasho Nesterovic (wouldn't mind)
Lamar Odom (can't afford him)
Brian Skinner (minimum guy I wouldn't mind)
Shelden Williams (bust)
Chris Wilcox (wouldn't mind)
Drew Gooden (probably the 2nd best player on the list, but not particularly fond of him)

I'd take Wilcox, Skinner or Nesterovic :confusedshrug: All are those kinds of players who you know what you're going to get out of them every night, and none are in a position to really command more than a 1 year deal. We got back Brand and Smith, but we lost Ratliff and Evans. And I'd rather not see Thad playing power forward this year if we can help it. Depth at the bigs is always good since they're the most likely to be in foul trouble. 4 won't cut it.

Right now we have 10 guys (after Jrue signs) on our roster. A backup PG will make it 11, and I'm guessing 1 of those bigs will make it 12.

dcathoops
07-13-2009, 04:15 PM
How about a high energy big like Pops Mensah-Bonsu. Played limited minutes at the end of the season with Spurs and Raptons and still averaged about 5 and 5. He can rebound, block shots and at 6'9" can defend 3 different positions. After losing Reggie, we need some energy.

ppierce34
07-13-2009, 04:58 PM
I always liked Skinner, thought he played well here, but I don't know what he has left.

Wilcox I think would be a nice addition though. Gooden wouldn't be bad. Might be willing to take a shot on May or Shelden. Powe is a great bench guy, but yeah that knee is a concern, don't think he'll be back till around January.

GOBB
07-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Speaking of Skinner who is it that gave him that contract again (when he played here)? lol

Skinner is idea because he wouldnt demand nor expect to be given significant minutes. I dont think many minutes would be available. Elton 33mpg, J.Smith 15mpg, Speights 18mpg, Dalembert 25mpg. Finding a guy who wont mind 10-12mpg is who I say target. Heck maybe grab a NBDL guy?

GOBB
07-13-2009, 06:31 PM
How about a high energy big like Pops Mensah-Bonsu. Played limited minutes at the end of the season with Spurs and Raptons and still averaged about 5 and 5. He can rebound, block shots and at 6'9" can defend 3 different positions. After losing Reggie, we need some energy.

A guy like that is what I wouldnt mind.

Posterize246
07-13-2009, 07:43 PM
I'd rather have Skinner than a Pops type. Skinner can play both big positions defensively and Pops can't really guard any position. And if Dalembert or Smith went down with injury we'd be in trouble as far as centers go. I'm not comfortable with Speights playing significant mins at center.

GOBB
07-13-2009, 07:54 PM
True.

Posterize246
07-13-2009, 09:54 PM
There's a reason guys like Pops can't stay on a team. He's a freak athlete trying to play basketball. Do we really need another Sam Dalembert on this team? Any "potential" label he may have had in the past is gone. He's not a young buck anymore.

Give me Skinner. Knows his role is limited, accepts that, cheap, can defend both big positions, veteran who knows how to use his 6 fouls, and can be serviceable if any one of our bigs go down (Dalembert/Smith/Brand/Speights). 2 of those guys are coming off of big injuries so while I don't necessarily expect one to get hurt I'd like to be prepared for it.

He doesn't still have that ugly blonde goatee does he? Gotta get rid of that before playing for this team.

GOBB
07-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Gotta agree with you.

Posterize246
07-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Stefanski says we need a guard, a swingman, and 2 bigs

76ers4life
07-14-2009, 04:16 PM
I wonder who the Sixers are targeting I haven't heard anything outside of the Andre Miller issue. If it's 4 spots they need to fill I thought they would have gotten moving on that long time ago.

AI09
07-14-2009, 05:42 PM
I think we should have signed Pargo. He wouldve been a good addition at the PG spot to back up Lou, maybe even start. I guess we are waiting to see what happens with Andre Miller before we make any moves for a pg.

GOBB
07-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Article...

The Sixers are in a shopping mode
By Kevin Tatum

Inquirer Staff Writer

With at least four spots to fill on his roster for the 2009-10 season, 76ers president and general manager Ed Stefanski was making the rounds yesterday at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas.

Twenty-one teams are represented in the 10-day event, which began Friday.

"I'm watching players and staying in communications with other teams and agents," Stefanski said by telephone. "We need to add depth."

Though the NBA maximum for player rosters is 15, the Sixers maintained a 14-man team last season. Stefanski said he expected that to be the case again. The team has 10 players under contract.

"We need a guard, a swingman, and two bigs," said Stefanski, who has consistently declined to talk about specific players.

With Andre Miller all but gone, Stefanski is looking for a veteran point guard. The main candidate to fill the starting spot is Lou Williams, a promising but inconsistent combo guard who has not started a game during his four years with the team. And the Sixers can only hope that rookie Jrue Holiday is good enough to earn significant playing time next season.

Miller, a 33-year-old free agent who was hoping to land a three-year deal from the Sixers worth as much as $30 million, was offered a one-year contract at about $6 million from the team he directed with skill for the better part of three seasons.

Stefanski said he had been talking to Miller's agent, Andy Miller, on a "regular basis." Stefanski chose not to comment on rumors of a possible transaction involving Miller and Chris Duhon of the New York Knicks, but a league source said no such move was in the works.

"We're now in a sign-and-trade mode," said Stefanski of Miller, who could also exercise his right to sign with the team of his choosing without the Sixers' receiving any compensation.

With the Sixers having completed a five-day run in the Orlando Pro Summer League on Friday - they combined as one team with players from the New Jersey Nets - Stefanski said he was encouraged by what he saw from Holiday as the UCLA product got his first taste of the next level.

The 6-foot-4 Holiday was the team's first-round pick at No. 17 overall in the June draft. He averaged 8.6 points, 3.4 rebounds, and 3.0 assists last week.

"He's been exposed to the professional game, albeit in summer league," Stefanski said.

"He has real good size, can handle it well, and pressure didn't bother him. And he's a willing defender, and that's important. Every game, we saw a little bit more of him, and that's a positive."

Stefanski would just like to see Holiday emulate the success of rookies like Thaddeus Young and Marreese Speights, who exceeded expectations after joining the team as the Sixers' first-round draft choices in '07 and '08.

"You never know exactly what you have and how fast they're going to come," Stefanski said. "Same thing with Thaddeus. We were very fortunate to find out he is a very good player. Same thing with Speights last year. You have guarded optimism, and I think Jrue is like them.

AI09
07-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Article...

Philly got 10 guys under contract and still need to figure out what to do with Miller. Stefanski said we're now in a sign-and-trade mode wit Miller. Eds looking for a guard, a swingman, and two bigs. Id like any of these guys to sign with Philly:

Guards/Swingman
Dionte Christmas
Flip Murray
Luther Head
Roman Session
Carlos Delfino
CJ Watson
Von Wafer
Morris Almound
Jaun Dixon

Bigs
Ryan Hollins
Chris Mihm
Johan Petro
Chris Wilcox
Rasho
Brain Skinner

GOBB
07-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Lou Williams/Jrue Holiday/FA guard
Andre Iguodala/Willie Green/FA swingman
Elton Brand/Marreese Speights/FA big
Samuel dalembert/Jason Smith/FA big

Should be interesting indeed who fills those spots. Lets hope we can swing a sign and trade involving Miller.

GOBB
07-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Lou Williams/Juan Dixon/Jrue Holiday
Andre Iguodala/Willie Green/
Thaddeus Young/Jason Kapono/Ime Udoka
Elton Brand/Marreese Speights/Walter Hermann
Samuel dalembert/Jason Smith/Rasho Nesterovic

Luther Head is intriguing. What happened to his career? Seemed like a pretty decent 3pt shooter. Not sure what else he is capable of bringing. I only added Udoka because he could be our Q.Ross, that defensive guy off the bench. Solid rebounder to boot. Rasho is a tall vet body. Hermann for some euro flavor. And Juan Dixon because I cant find any veteran PGs I like. Just not accepting Anthony Carter, altho Bobby Jackson wouldnt be a bad mentor for Holliday. Doubt he comes here tho. Probably sits on a contenders bench.

My logic with these additions? They fit the vet minimum types. I doubt it would cost Sixers much to add these 4 players. I didnt wanna add anyone who was lookin to start or play signficant minutes. 1. They would probably cost 2. I can see Jrue getting that Thad/Marreese treatment by being thrown in there. Just cant see any of these 4 crying over lack of steady/consistent minutes.

Posterize246
07-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Lou Williams/Juan Dixon/Jrue Holiday
Andre Iguodala/Willie Green/
Thaddeus Young/Jason Kapono/Ime Udoka
Elton Brand/Marreese Speights/Walter Hermann
Samuel dalembert/Jason Smith/Rasho Nesterovic

Luther Head is intriguing. What happened to his career? Seemed like a pretty decent 3pt shooter. Not sure what else he is capable of bringing. I only added Udoka because he could be our Q.Ross, that defensive guy off the bench. Solid rebounder to boot. Rasho is a tall vet body. Hermann for some euro flavor. And Juan Dixon because I cant find any veteran PGs I like. Just not accepting Anthony Carter, altho Bobby Jackson wouldnt be a bad mentor for Holliday. Doubt he comes here tho. Probably sits on a contenders bench.

My logic with these additions? They fit the vet minimum types. I doubt it would cost Sixers much to add these 4 players. I didnt wanna add anyone who was lookin to start or play signficant minutes. 1. They would probably cost 2. I can see Jrue getting that Thad/Marreese treatment by being thrown in there. Just cant see any of these 4 crying over lack of steady/consistent minutes.
I like the Udoka/Rasho idea. Rasho's solid as a backup, he's not going to do anything to really hurt your team while he's in there and he's efficient as far as offense goes. Knows his role. Not sure about Dixon but like you said there's nobody really out there. Hermann is really good one game and then a scrub the next. He bounces back between all star and scrub every game it seems. For some reason I've always been a fan of Dixon. First year I started following college ball religiously was the year the Dixon/Blake/Baxter/Wilcox team won it all. Still remember how they said he was like 9 when his mom passed away and as soon as he heard it he went straight to the basketball court because it's the only place he could get his mind away. Always had a soft spot for him. WTF he's 30? Where has the time went?

Plus I think his tattoo is pretty sick...

http://o.aolcdn.com/photo-hub/news_gallery/5/8/589677/1228416136918.JPEG

GOBB
07-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Time flew when it came to Juan Dixon. He was a big fan favorite to many. I definately said the same thing "He's 30?!" when i looked up his player profile. Wow.

Yeah i really like Rasho/Udoka. But finding another big and guard? Difficult.

As far as Hermann you are spot on. I just couldnt find another big to choose from. I was going for the spotty minute playing guy. And he fit especially since it appears he has some range.

Like you said Skinner wouldnt be bad unless he has that blonde goatee.

Kinda hard to guess but I tried to look at it from the angle...with the reamining free agents left? Who would play for the vet minimums? Who wouldnt mind signing as the Royal Ivey, Kareem Rush, Donyell Marshall, Theo Ratliff. Guys who know minutes wont be consistent, significant and at best they would have to compete to get on the floor. And there will/could be times where they hardly see it (like Rush).

I'd like a guy like Von Wafer but imo he doesnt fit this mold. After the season he had with Houston to me he is lookin for a place to get a chance to shine as bright as he did in Houston if not brighter. And on this team I'm not sure he would get the kind of minutes he might seek unless Willie Green is moved.

AI09
07-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Von Wafer would be nice

dcathoops
07-15-2009, 10:49 AM
I still want Pops in Philly

Posterize246
07-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Looks like Wafer is going to PHX. And Wilcox either to Cleveland or Houston.

Posterize246
07-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Hermann went overseas. CJ Watson about to sign offer sheet with Orlando.

AI09
07-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Earl Watson was just waived. Hes a good backup and hits 3s, he can play a role in philly if they chose to sign him

Posterize246
07-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Earl Watson was just waived. Hes a good backup and hits 3s, he can play a role in philly if they chose to sign him
He just went to Indy

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090717/SPORTS04/90717080/1088/Point+guard+agrees+to+1-year+deal+with+Pacers

Posterize246
07-20-2009, 10:13 PM
The guards we've contacted...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/The_Search_For_Backcourt_Help.html

The 76ers have been contacting a variety of free agent guards to help fill out the roster for the coming season. That list, according to a source familiar with the situation, includes Juan Dixon, who has played before for new Sixers coach Eddie Jordan with the Washington Wizards.

In no particular order, the Sixers have also reached out to Bobby Jackson, Jason Hart, Carlos Arroyo, Tyronn Lue and Brevin Knight.

I had forgot about Arroyo since he went overseas. The only real shooter on the list is Bobby Jackson though I'd rather go for a more pure point like Arroyo or Knight. We've already got a shoot first starting PG I'm not sure I want a shoot first backup PG too. Knight can't shoot though and is old. I guess on that list I'd like Arroyo first, followed by Dixon/Jackson, then the rest.

Posterize246
07-21-2009, 01:09 PM
CJ Watson turned down a 1 year deal from us

dcathoops
07-21-2009, 03:39 PM
The 76ers have been contacting a variety of free agent guards to help fill out the roster for the coming season. That list, according to a source familiar with the situation, includes Juan Dixon, who has played before for new Sixers coach Eddie Jordan with the Washington Wizards.

In no particular order, the Sixers have also reached out to Bobby Jackson, Jason Hart, Carlos Arroyo, Tyronn Lue and Brevin Knight.

Somebody tell me why this list DOES NOT include Allen Iverson?

Looking for a Combo Guard to work with Lou and Jrue? Check out the best parts of Lou's game - it's when he plays like AI.

An up-tempo point guard? I like Andre Miller's game, but he is not an uptempo PG. Give me AI in the open floor any time.

Plus - he will bring some excitement back and puts some fans in the seats (and added bonus for old Eddie Snider).

There is not a guard on this list (and I will include Willie Green) that I would rather see than Allen. If they give us Tyronn Lue my head will explode. Brevin Knight? To quote Tom Mcinnis - Are You Kidding Me?

Come on Eddie - make the right move - bring #3 back!!!!

Posterize246
07-21-2009, 04:14 PM

Because by signing Iverson we would be at the luxury tax limit, and would go over when we have to sign minimum guys to have as fillers. It's not worth it.

An up-tempo point guard? I like Andre Miller's game, but he is not an uptempo PG. Give me AI in the open floor any time.
:wtf: Just because he's not lightening quick doesn't mean he's not an uptempo guard. Miller has been one of the best fast break point guards in the league even when he was with Denver. Andre's been 3rd to only Steve Nash and a NJ Jason Kidd as far as fast break PG's in the last 5 years. Why do you think we're at the top in fast break points every year? Why was Andre Miller leading everyone in the league in fast break points per game for a single player last season? Because he's an uptempo guard.

Plus - he will bring some excitement back and puts some fans in the seats (and added bonus for old Eddie Snider).
He won't really. Everybody that was used to the 30 ppg MVP Iverson is not going to come back to watch the 15 ppg Iverson. Iverson was like my idol when he was here, and I'm not interested in him coming back.

It's not happening. Money, age of the team, his ending relationship with Ed Snider, etc. will keep it from happening.

GOBB
07-21-2009, 04:19 PM
At what cost? At what role? 2 big questions.

ffl660
07-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Carlos Arroyo!

artificial
07-22-2009, 10:29 AM
2) According to a source familiar with the Sixers situation, the Sixers struck out on a one-year offer of $2.3 million to Golden State Warriors free agent guard C.J. Watson. Undrafted out of Tennessee, Watson appeared in 32 games with the Warriors in 2007-08 and averaged 9.5 points and 2.7 assists in 77 games (18 starts) last season. He seems bound for the Orlando Magic.
source (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705318396,00.html)

Interesting. SF76 (rip) was mentioning him. Wonder if there's any real chance we can get him, and if his game complements Lou's.

3) Temple's Dionte Christmas, who went undrafted in June, joined the Los Angeles Clippers entry in the Las Vegas Summer League after playing for the combined Sixers-New Jersey Nets team in the Orlando Summer Pro League. He appeared in 5 games with the Clippers, making 2 starts, but shot just 4-for-15 from the floor (1-for-5 from three-point distance) and averaged only 2.6 points.
(same source as above)

Not looking good for Xmas :(

And just as a bonus:

The Sixers also attended a workout in Las Vegas for ex-Jazz guard Troy Hudson, who is trying to make an NBA comeback at age 33 after hip and ankle injuries forced him out of the league in 2008.

:roll: Troy "Black Hole" Hudson? Gotta be kidding me :roll:

artificial
07-22-2009, 10:35 AM
More on CJ Watson...

[QUOTE]The source confirmed that Watson had earlier rejected a 1-year, $2.3 million offer from the Sixers. If Watson were not to sign with the Magic, it is possible that the Sixers could make a fresh offer. Derrick Powell, one of Watson

ppierce34
07-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Watson would be a nice addition. Hudson, that's funny, forgot all about him. Talk about a quick trigger.

GOBB
07-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Troy Hudson is a waste of money. I'm not expecting the Sixers to spend. They made it clear and after getting Jrue Holiday at 17 which to many was a steal/good value? Even more incentive to save cash. Remember not only with the luxary tax lowered, the Sixers spent a ton of money last offseason. Brand, Iggy, Lou Williams? Huge bucks were dished out. Over 5 years there is about $185mil guranteed (Brand got what $80mil, Iggy $80mil+ and Lou $25mil).

Posterize246
07-22-2009, 09:05 PM
I saw the list of big men we've targeted. I refuse to post it though, might puke.

GOBB
07-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Damn me and you must check out the same site at the same time. hahaha

A source familiar with the Sixers' situation suggests a grouping the team could be considering internally includes Brezec, Mihm, Aaron Gray, Ryan Hollins, Jared Reiner, Jake Voshkuhl, Adonal Foyle and Earl Barron

Is Ryan Hollins the athletic kid from the Mavs? If so I'll take him.

Posterize246
07-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Damn me and you must check out the same site at the same time. hahaha

Is Ryan Hollins the athletic kid from the Mavs? If so I'll take him.
I stay on philly.com all day. And yeah that's him. The pogostick with no basketball IQ. Less talented Dalembert. Doubt he'll be catching all those oops and getting easy dunks with Lou throwing him the passes instead of J-Kidd.

GOBB
07-23-2009, 12:17 AM
hahaha cancel that idea then.

I like your suggestion of Brian Skinner. Guess he doesnt fit the end of bench, spot duty type big man Sixers are lookin for.

AI09
07-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Pacers just waived Tinsley... sixers should atleast check him out

Styles p
07-23-2009, 02:02 AM
i would pick aaron gray out of thos bigs.

AI09
07-23-2009, 11:11 AM
i would pick aaron gray out of thos bigs.

really? Id prefer Brezec or Nihm

Posterize246
07-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Never thought I'd see the day Sixers fans argue over who they want more; Aaron Gray, Primo Brezec, or Chris Mihm. We've fallen pretty far.

Posterize246
07-23-2009, 12:22 PM
The 76ers, continuing their search for a veteran point guard, are discussing former Indiana Pacers starter Jamaal Tinsley as a possibility. According to a source familiar with the Sixers' situation, they also are considering taking a fresh look at Golden State Warriors restricted free agent C.J. Watson.

It remains unclear whether the Sixers will pursue Tinsley, but the source said Stefanski spoke yesterday with Michael Higgins, Watson's agent. The Sixers, much earlier in the process, presented Watson with a 1-year offer for $2.3 million and were turned down.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20090723_Source_says_Sixers_looking_at_Tinsley__Wa tson.html

GOBB
07-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Eh, Jamal Tinsley isnt bad to look at given what the other options are.

sixerfan3511
07-23-2009, 07:40 PM
All those big men are jokes. How embarrassing.

ppierce34
07-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Never thought I'd see the day Sixers fans argue over who they want more; Aaron Gray, Primo Brezec, or Chris Mihm. We've fallen pretty far.

It is quite sad. Long for the days of Todd MacCulloch.

GOBB
07-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Is anyone surprised tho (at the crop to select from)? You got Dalembert, first round pick from 2007 Jason Smith, first round pick from 2008 Marreese Speights and $80mil man big aquisition last offseason Elton Brand. So where does another notable big man name fit? Not like the past 2 first round picks (big men) didnt impress some Sixers fan leaving them intrigued with thier development/progression. Sixers traded Reggie to free up minutes for Speights. So the direction they are going is allowing the youth to get more action than sit on the bench. Who wouldnt want it that way?

A guy like Todd Macc wouldnt even get much action here. It would be spot duty. Foul trouble, maybe someone nursing an injury, give guys a 1-2min rest. These big man to pick from is nothing more than insurance...where whomever actually signs here knows thier role. They know thier number wont be called much. Just look at the vet minimum guys we added last year.

So Mihm, Gray, Brezec sounds nasty but realistically these are guys who wont affect the minutes of guys we have already in place. Sixers are expected thier past 2 first round draft picks to contribute. The vet minimum big or two they add is just to fill out the roster. And the guys signing here will know that. Sure they'll practice hard and hope they get minutes but they know the deal. Just like Kareem Rush knew when he had floor seats for the season. lol

sixerfan3511
07-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Well most of us expected Rush to contribute last year given his 3 point abilities BUUUUT, that obviously didn't happen. It's just frustrating because last year we had Theo and now we are going to get a big time bum. I'd prefer Hollins over all of them.

GOBB
07-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Yeah but that big time bum big we add wont affect this team much no way. Theo Ratliff decided to play for a title contender before his career is over which is soon. Why stick around for the Sixers at the vet minimum when you can play on a title contender for it?

Posterize246
07-24-2009, 02:32 PM
I guess I'll take Primo Brezec, just because he had those 2 years where he was actually a somebody compared to the other guys who are complete nobodys. Mihm is completely done.

Brezec (29 years old)

'04-'05... 31.6 mpg, 13.0 ppg, 51.2 fg%, 7.3 rpg, 75 ft%- 72 games
'05-'06... 27.4 mpg, 12.4 ppg, 51.7 fg%, 5.6 rpg, 73 ft%- 79 games

This guy actually has a youtube mix. What's the world coming to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a0_6eUe-eM

francesco totti
07-24-2009, 03:36 PM

Looking for a Combo Guard to work with Lou and Jrue? Check out the best parts of Lou's game - it's when he plays like AI.

There is not a guard on this list (and I will include Willie Green) that I would rather see than Allen. If they give us Tyronn Lue my head will explode. Brevin Knight? To quote Tom Mcinnis - Are You Kidding Me?

AI wont come to the sixers back. Him and Lou williams are great friends, and i think AI doesnt want to take playtime away from lou.. especially that this is his chance.

ppierce34
07-24-2009, 05:22 PM
I was being sarcastic regarding Todd, always had a soft spot for him.

As for the big men, the money they have invested obviously plays into why they're looking into what they are. They obviously aren't going to invest big money in a big(anyone for that matter), they did it last year.

Posterize246
07-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Raptors fans have acted as if they are going to sign him for a while now and still nothing has happened, so what about Carlos Delfino?

He'll be 27 when the season starts, last season in the league (year before last) he averaged...

23.5 mpg
9.0 mpg (40%)
38.2 3fg% (120 made)
4.4 rpg
1.8 apg
.8 steals
.9 turnovers

Serviceable bench player who can shoot the 3. Should we give it a look? It'd make it easier to trade Willie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4IvIAR2AM8

artificial
07-25-2009, 03:52 AM
I like the idea of Delfino as what he could contribute to the team. But I don't think 76ers can offer him enough.

If I remember correctly he was getting paid nicely in Europe last season. And if he comes back I guess it would be for either combination of money, play time, and a good (contending) team.

Sixers aren't contenders, and he definitely wouldn't be starting (even if he could see good minutes as a sixth man). And he won't/shouldn't get too much $$.

I like the idea though.

GOBB
07-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Nice idea but artificial made good points. He'll come to a non contender, that will not be offering much $$$ and no gurantee in playing time. Could be Kareem Rush II where he isnt used much or maybe he is and someone elses minutes gets sliced? Either way, I doubt coming here would be a good situation.

I cant see Willie Green finding a team via trade. I'm all for it. I like Willie, but his lack of 3pt ball doesnt thrill me.

sixerfan3511
07-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Theo wasn't going to be welcomed back anyways due to the way he finished the year with DiLeo and Stefanski.

artificial
07-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Seriously though, how would you guys feel if Tinsley was signed, on say a 1 year cheap deal. That's to say, contract apart, do you think he can contribute something positive?

GOBB
07-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Mixed feeling on Tinsley. Best veteran PG out there. Questionable character with baggage. Could be really help/mentor Jrue Holiday? Would be complain about playing time here knowing Lou Williams would be the starter?

So I'm not sure.

Posterize246
07-26-2009, 01:08 PM
I'd pass on Tinsley. Best backup PG available but gotta remember its a backup. I don't like him being the one to tutor Jrue and it's not like a good backup PG is going to affect our win/loss column anymore than an average backup PG. Get a good vet who's had his time in the league, knows the ins and outs, but is still able to give you time on the floor. Speights and Jason had Ratliff/Donyell, Jrue right now has nobody. And Tinsley is not what I want. What's he gonna do, take him out to a strip club and show him how to shoot guns in the parking lot? Pass.

GOBB
07-26-2009, 02:01 PM
lol

sixerfan3511
07-26-2009, 08:03 PM
I have never been the biggest fan. Bad shooting percentage, yes he can pass but that's about it in my book. Not a great defender, but gets steals. Idk...as a backup I'll pass too, because I don't think he'd settle on that. I want someone who is used to being a backup and will teach Lou and Jrue with passion. Not be butt hurt because they aren't starting.

Posterize246
07-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Remember when I mentioned Flip Murray and his Philly ties a while back?

With Williams, Holiday and Willie Green the only full-fledged guards on the roster, Stefanski is continuing his search for a veteran. A source familiar with the situation confirmed some early contact concerning Atlanta Hawks unrestricted free agent Ronald "Flip" Murray (a Philadelphia native who played at Strawberry Mansion High), but said that Murray's agent is looking for more than a 1-year commitment.

Everyone's turned off by our 1 year offers. Thing is, the guys we're offering are only 1 year type of players. Murray hasn't been able to ever stick with a team, why's he expecting a multi-year deal now? Just too early for them to settle right now I guess.

GOBB
07-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Just too early for them to settle right now I guess.

Bingo...as the days continue guys will take the 1yr deals

Posterize246
07-31-2009, 03:05 PM
Even though we offered him more money, and he's from the area, Hakim Warrick went to the Bucks.

A source familiar with the situation confirmed that the 6-9 Warrick, a onetime star at Friends Central, has agreed to the terms of a one-year contract with the Milwaukee Bucks. Warrick, via agent Bill Duffy, is believed to have accepted a deal worth $3 million, even though the Sixers supposedly offered slightly more, dipping in to a portion of their $5.8 million mid-level exception.

artificial
07-31-2009, 04:52 PM
Even though we offered him more money, and he's from the area, Hakim Warrick went to the Bucks.
Maybe it had to do with the possibility of PT. Although Bucks have a few forwards (Alexander, Prince Luc, Kurt Thomas, etc) none is really solid and Warrick can compete for minutes.

Also, Salim Stoudemire is available. Not sure I'd want him, but he provides range (at a low % and nothing else though).

artificial
07-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Sun Yue and Mike Taylor are available.

Yue is a scrub, but Taylor should be worth a close look.

Posterize246
07-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Isn't Taylor similar to Lou? Wow the era of the pure point guard is long behind us. I was never really interested in Warrick just surprised he would pass up a homecoming with more money for...Milwaukee. Cleveland should have got him instead of Moon.

GOBB
07-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Yeah playing time was the factor there. Why come to Philly with Dalembert, J.Smith, E.Brand and M.Speights here? Where is the playing time coming from? I mean Sixers traded Reggie Evans to free up space for Speights. And Hakim is going to believe there is playing time available here? Its risky because he wants to go to a situation where he can get as much playing time as he can to play for a contract next season. Not saying he'll break the bank, but he will want more than a 1 year deal. He'll want atleast 3, for job security.

Even if the Sixers were to move Dalembert I'm not sure I'd welcome Hakim Warrick here. I just dont see what he does that helps us. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just moreso intrigued with Jason Smith and Marreese Speights progression next year.

Man with Eagles here now? I'm losing a little interest into who the Sixers fill the roster with. lol

Posterize246
08-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Signing Primo Brezec

link (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Sixers_Adding_Brezec.html)

Can you say championship?

artificial
08-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Signing Primo Brezec

Well well, Stefanski countered Cleveland's move for Shaq.

Seriously, Brezec is decent for a leftover. He is being brought in to play behind Smith and MoSpeezy, so it's not very relevant, but I think he is good for the role he is being given.

Sidenote: Brezec averaged 13pts & 7rbs one season :eek: (which was 5 years ago, and he didn't even finish last season in the NBA :oldlol: )

the big stick
08-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Signing Primo Brezec

The good news here is that it's a one year deal. Second, the 76ers organization has just assured us a lottery pick next season.
We are in for a long year gents.
:cry:

GOBB
08-05-2009, 09:24 PM
The good news here is that it's a one year deal. Second, the 76ers organization has just assured us a lottery pick next season.
We are in for a long year gents.
:cry:

Everyone was informed by mgmt we would fill out the roster by signing guys to 1yr vet minimum deals. Even the guys who werent the vet minimum types were only offered 1 year. Mike Bibby to CJ Watson. No player to my knowledge this offseas was offered more than 1 year to play for the Sixers. So how is that good or bad news other than just news?

And second Sixers are not a lottery team. Please explain how so. Gurantee you'll struggle too. Fans gotta stop bytching about the Sixers not spending much money this offseason. The Sixers are not going to pay the luxary tax nor locked themselves in long term deals for guys who really arent that special. Sixers spent thier load last offseason. Why fans want more cash thrown? Beyond me.

Lou Williams/Jrue Holiday/Royal Ivey
Samuel Dalembert/Jason Smith/Primeo Brezec

Thats 12 players. This time last year Sixers fans were busting nuts over the aquistion of Brand. They were besides themselves when sites like espn had them winning 50 games being a top 3 Eastern Conference team. The hype buildup was there and the same fans crying :cry: now were the ones rejoicing and doing the Hammer dance last year

:hammertime:

Its one thing to criticize a team. Another to be lame about it. Atleast be optimistic and intrigued with a new head coach and the players who will get significant minutes. Everyone is this great GM from thier couch. But if the moves they wanted were made? And success didnt happen? Then what?

Lets be realistic (not saying Sixers ECF or even 2nd round), reasonable and Sixers fans. I start to believe the Negadelphia fan label. I want to see this team actually get some games under thier belt and gel with the new system.

If you're not satisfied and sold on this team? Fine. You'll have football. :pimp:

the big stick
08-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Everyone was informed by mgmt we would fill out the roster by signing guys to 1yr vet minimum deals. Even the guys who werent the vet minimum types were only offered 1 year. Mike Bibby to CJ Watson. No player to my knowledge this offseas was offered more than 1 year to play for the Sixers. So how is that good or bad news other than just news?

And second Sixers are not a lottery team. Please explain how so. Gurantee you'll struggle too. Fans gotta stop bytching about the Sixers not spending much money this offseason. The Sixers are not going to pay the luxary tax nor locked themselves in long term deals for guys who really arent that special. Sixers spent thier load last offseason. Why fans want more cash thrown? Beyond me.

Lou Williams/Jrue Holiday/Royal Ivey
Samuel Dalembert/Jason Smith/Primeo Brezec

Thats 12 players. This time last year Sixers fans were busting nuts over the aquistion of Brand. They were besides themselves when sites like espn had them winning 50 games being a top 3 Eastern Conference team. The hype buildup was there and the same fans crying :cry: now were the ones rejoicing and doing the Hammer dance last year

:hammertime:

Its one thing to criticize a team. Another to be lame about it. Atleast be optimistic and intrigued with a new head coach and the players who will get significant minutes. Everyone is this great GM from thier couch. But if the moves they wanted were made? And success didnt happen? Then what?

Lets be realistic (not saying Sixers ECF or even 2nd round), reasonable and Sixers fans. I start to believe the Negadelphia fan label. I want to see this team actually get some games under thier belt and gel with the new system.

If you're not satisfied and sold on this team? Fine. You'll have football. :pimp:

Ok first and foremost, I never predicted Brand was the guy to take us to the promise land when he was signed last year. I think I am within my right to be disappointed especially because I have been paying for season tickets for the past 6 years.

Let just consider what Boston, Cleveland, Orlando and Toronto were able to accomplish this off-season. They have all made significant improvements and I don

Posterize246
08-05-2009, 11:35 PM
There is no legitimate trade/signing the Sixers could have done to show their improvement. They didn't have the money to sign a top tier free agent, they didn't even have the money to keep their OWN top free agent, nobody wants Dalembert in a trade. What do you want them to do? What coach did you want them to sign? I was pushing for Thibodeau but there's nothing about him that says he was more qualified than EJ. There were no available coaching candidates.

Boston/Orlando were able to make moves because they're legit title contenders and free agents are more willing to go there. They're able to throw first round picks into trades if they need to because they know the pick will be between 25-30 anyway, not end of lotto/mid first round like the Sixers pick. It has a lot less value to toss around. Cleveland got Shaq, but do you think the Sixers should have made a move like that? What sense would that have made? Certain trades make sense for title contenders and don't make sense for non title contenders. It's just how sports work. Toronto didn't do anything. They overpaid for Hedo and lost Shawn Marion, the best they'll do is get in the back half of the playoffs. Their bench still sucks and now they're screwed money wise for a while because they're putting money into Bosh/Hedo/Calderon even though it won't go anywhere.

What move do you see that the Sixers should have done that they didn't hop on? :confusedshrug:

artificial
08-06-2009, 12:41 AM
The team isn't contending for anything as it is right now. Maybe 2nd round and that's if things all work for the best. So I do get why you aren't feeling optimistic about the team right now.

On the other hand, giving a closer look at the situation despite being offseason you could see this situation coming. More over: as both -GOBB and posterize- mention there wasn't much more that could be done in the current situation.

I agree there weren't any available players that made worth going over the cap. Bibby? Dre? TT? Would any of them have put us over the top? CJ Watson intrigued me, but he didn't tliked the one year offer that was offered to him. You can see more and more options in the free agency thread. But I can see why management didn't wanted to throw deals longer than 1 year. And I agree with that standpoint.

It kind of feels strange to having been left out of this offseason, which has been crazy overall in the league. But the sixers made their moves last offseason, and looking closely at the current situation it was easy to say that other than the draft and the coach acquisition, this would be a quiet offseason for us.

We are looking ahead for a mediocre season, and it's hard to be excited about that. But at least we can agree that the management did pretty much what you'd expect them to do, without blatant bonehead moves.

And I'm glad to finally see some conversation here again :D

GOBB
08-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Ok first and foremost, I never predicted Brand was the guy to take us to the promise land when he was signed last year.

But you applauded the move no? I'm not saying you were apart of the crowd overrating the Sixers. But when Sixers added Elton Brand your feelings? I doubt it was critical but I let you tell it.

I think I am within my right to be disappointed especially because I have been paying for season tickets for the past 6 years.

Ed Stefanski just got here. He is putting together his team. Impatient much?

[QUOTE]Let just consider what Boston, Cleveland, Orlando and Toronto were able to accomplish this off-season. They have all made significant improvements and I don

GOBB
08-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Good posts artificial and Posterize. *dapz*

the big stick
08-06-2009, 06:42 PM
I did look at EJ

sixerfan3511
08-06-2009, 07:10 PM
without getting into all these details, the point is this. If we were to have spent money that we don't have this off season on good but not great free agents, we would have still been behind the big 3 in the East and had financial problems down the road. So it was pointless to do so. We're hoping Brand comes back healthy and that essentially is a big time addition in itself. We have plenty of young players and Kapono will help out with the shooting. Primo is nothing but a 5th big man but he will do his job and same with Ivey as a 5th guard. I don't see what the big deal here is. I'm not happy with the fact that other teams are getting better and we aren't(at least free agency wise), but at the same time Ed Stefanski knows what he is doing and it is in the best interest of the franchise. It's a process that we must go through and there's no need in trying to speed up that process at the expense of the franchise going forward. Be patient and Ed will get us to where we need to go. Eddie Jordan did a very good job with the Wizards when healthy so i couldn't care less about his overall record. And Toronto like others have said have improved but at what cost? They still will be a bottom playoff team, if they make it at all, and now they have big contracts going forward. Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make, and this is a prime example of that.

Maniak
08-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I never expected Brand to be the savior, and I never for a second bought the hype, because they really hadnt done much.

Granted, this team has a nice young core, and I will enjoy watching some of their games, but they are still on that average level. A few more moves and you can talk of their relevance more. For now, just enjoy some 76ers basketball!

artificial
08-12-2009, 11:06 PM
The Sixers' biggest offseason acquisition was shooter Jason Kapono in a trade for Reggie Evans. They also drafted 19-year-old guard Jrue Holiday and lost veteran point guard Andre Miller to free agency. Lou Williams, Holiday and Royal Ivey are expected to share the job at the point.

The Sixers haven't used the mid-level exception of $5.85 million and probably won't. Instead, they opted to sign Ivey and are about to add center Primoz Brezec for salaries at or just above the league minimum.

(...)

"(A swingman who can shoot and point guard) were two positions that we had to address and we addressed them."
http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news_details/article/126/2009/august/12/no-buzz-around-sixers-this-year-1.html

Pretty much what we just discussed here.