PDA

View Full Version : Interesting trade idea.... Nets/Wizards

BankShot
06-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Reading Chad Ford's chat wrap today, and came across an interesting trade idea, and I'm wondering what everyone thinks about it

Nets: Vince Carter

Wizards: #5 Pick and the expiring contracts of James, Songalia, and Thomas

It would clear up tons of room for 2010 for the Nets, as well as the ability to draft DeRozan, Evans, or Hill, and would give the Wiz another big-name player to attempt to make a deep playoff run before blowing up their big three.

Risky for the Wiz, but since they're in the win-now phase, and are actively shopping the #5 pick, wouldn't this make some sense?

GiveItToBurrito
06-16-2009, 09:28 PM
I'd love to see them do it, but I don't think they're ready to go that far over the luxury tax. A lineup of:

Arenas/Crittenton
Carter/Young/Stevenson
Butler/McGuire
Jamison/Blatche
Haywood/McGee

looks pretty good, though. Regardless of the talent situation, I like the idea of them clearing out some roster spots, too, since they won't be able to sign the 31st pick right now if they keep everything as is.

Interminator
06-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Reading Chad Ford's chat wrap today, and came across an interesting trade idea, and I'm wondering what everyone thinks about it

Nets: Vince Carter

Wizards: #5 Pick and the expiring contracts of James, Songalia, and Thomas

It would clear up tons of room for 2010 for the Nets, as well as the ability to draft DeRozan, Evans, or Hill, and would give the Wiz another big-name player to attempt to make a deep playoff run before blowing up their big three.

Risky for the Wiz, but since they're in the win-now phase, and are actively shopping the #5 pick, wouldn't this make some sense?
What?

I think Washington needs a C like Shaq instead, you can only go so far without a post presence.

Butters
06-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Risky Risky Risky.

On the plus side it would give us 4 out of 5 starters who have the ability to score 20+ a game.

Nets fan 93
06-16-2009, 10:50 PM
The number 5 pick for VC...Where do I sign?

BankShot
06-17-2009, 06:13 PM
What?

I think Washington needs a C like Shaq instead, you can only go so far without a post presence.

What are you questioning?? There's been talk of trading Jamison or Butler.

iDunk
06-17-2009, 06:28 PM
I'd actually do it, and I love Vince Carter.

James is a good backup PG, Songaila is a role playing veteran, Etan Thomas another good backup, and the 5th pick (Derozan). :rockon:

Clifton
06-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Arenas/Crittenton
Carter/Young/Stevenson
Butler/McGuire
Jamison/Blatche
Haywood/McGee
Once you take away Songaila the frontcourt bench looks pretty terrible. There's no way Blatche, McGee and McGuire are good enough, not just to be good in the playoffs, but actually to be anything less than liabilities who only score by accident in the playoffs.

The team would essentially, be 5 volume jumpshooters who can't play defense worth a damn. And absolutely nothing else save Brendan Haywood, about whom you have two fairly huge questions: 1. Is the improvement he showed last year for real, and to continue? and 2. Is he actually healthy? Two dubious, daunting questions posed for the only NBA-quality big man on the roster, who even if he turns out to be as good as it seemed he might, is still a liability on the glass and known to disappear on offense after the first quarter and isn't very strong. He blocks shots, hits free throws, and finishes well, though. But what happens when he's not on the floor? You sign a big guy who can rebound and be a muscle and this team looks a bit more balanced - a bit more, since you still have a backcourt full of 5 guys of only slightly varying ability who are all good at essentially the same thing, volume shooting. None of them are ball-hogs, thankfully, although they are low-IQ chucks for the most part.

beasted86
06-18-2009, 02:36 AM
Vince Carter > whatever the Nets could possibly draft @ #5

Also, after doing that trade, the Nets are now officially the Knicks part 2.

Step 1: Blow up a mediocre team
Step 2: Turn it into a deeper lottery team
Step 3: Get on your knees and pray someone wants to come player with Harris and ... um, wait? who do they have again? Lopez? Oh yes, I remember, Harris & Lopez... a superstar will turn down $30M to play with Harris & Lopez, and a rookie from the #5.

It would make more sense to just keep the roster they have now and still try to add a superstar in 2010. They have the cap space in 2010 to add another player ~$18M.

Kobe_6/8
04-10-2015, 08:13 PM
I think Vince Carter could help out the Nets.

Derka
04-10-2015, 08:39 PM
Stupid-ass bump.