PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Derozen?

lilbeastnani
06-17-2009, 04:15 AM
He's obviously freakishly athletic and has hops for days, but what do you think of his game and where he'll peak at? To me, based on everything i'm hearing and reading it seems less and less likely each day that we end up with Evans at the 9th pick. Most draft boards have him going anywhere from 5-7. So, i'm thinking that it's possible that Derozen ends up being a Rudy Gay type which would actually be great for us. Is this just wishful thinking?

Draft express has this to say about him:
[QUOTE]DeRozan proves a very average player across the board. His defensive rebounding totals sit just below the mean as does his assists numbers, PPP working off of cuts (1.22) and as a finisher around the rim in general (1.14). He sits a bit further below the average in a number of other situations including spot up (1.02 vs. 0.93) and transition opportunities (1.19 vs 1.03). Considering that he didn

Dr.Funk
06-17-2009, 10:58 AM
To me after Harden, DeRozan is the guy we have to hope is there at #9.

Interminator
06-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Rudy Gay my ass?

DeRozan immediately will be a cross between Darius Miles & Desmond Mason type of player, great athlete with scoring mainly coming from dunks in the open court, but the potential for him to get better will keep him around in the NBA.

bonez26
06-17-2009, 11:13 AM
I would love to get either DeRozan or Evans. Derozan reminds me alot of Desmond Mason but with some tutoring and the right coaching the sky's the limit and he could become a poor mans VC.

lilbeastnani
06-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Rudy Gay my ass?

DeRozan immediately will be a cross between Darius Miles & Desmond Mason type of player, great athlete with scoring mainly coming from dunks in the open court, but the potential for him to get better will keep him around in the NBA.
He's got more ballhandling skills than Miles/Mason could ever dream of having... He's not cut out of that mold at all. And he's got a nice mid range game, although his 3 pt shooting could use a lot of work.

craigthomasb
06-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Rudy Gay my ass?

my thoughts exactly, rudi gay has that extra edge that de rozan doesnt, hes my favorite in the draft but he wont be as good as gay, but he can still be a 20ppg, slasher SG is this league

lilbeastnani
06-17-2009, 11:29 AM
my thoughts exactly, rudi gay has that extra edge that de rozan doesnt, hes my favorite in the draft but he wont be as good as gay, but he can still be a 20ppg, slasher SG is this league
I didn't say "as good as" Rudy Gay, I just said Rudy Gay "type." Meaning that I was saying his game and his athletic ability are somewhat similar, not that i'm saying he's as good as Rudy.

Jballer
06-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Im not so sure.

You see bunches of comments on maturity all the time.

He might be the next "air" apparent above the rim but could it be three years before he reaches that?

I have always advocated/predicted trading down for a Terrence Williams that played in a strong D system like Louisville and taking cash back.

Or perhaps trading :

"contract rights" of (Joey, Carlos, AP) and 9 spot or

Mature player (change of pace 1 back up, atheletic 2 - 3 tweener, or even 5 wide body defender) and "15-20" in draft and a bag of balls

antonaki1
06-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Like Derozan, but not sure with this Bosh thing overhanging us if we have the patience for another project. If Evans is gone guys like Gerald Henderson,Flynn, Holiday, Jennings could all help right away.
The more i see of Henderson the more i like his slashing ability and he was the go to man for Duke most of the season. Gets to the line nice also.

Interminator
06-17-2009, 12:16 PM
I didn't say "as good as" Rudy Gay, I just said Rudy Gay "type." Meaning that I was saying his game and his athletic ability are somewhat similar, not that i'm saying he's as good as Rudy.
But their games are not similar at all, Rudy has range and has always had range while DeRozan does not also Rudy has very good handles for his height, he just doesnt pass it.:oldlol:

DeRozan has no 3 point shooting ability whatsoever, and his mid range shot is shaky at best.

DeRozan struggles with defense, if you watched USC anytime this past season you would notice how much he gambles defensively.

That doesnt take away from the fact his potential to be better in the future with good development espesially with a coach like Alex English is definetly worth a Lottery pick on.

Interminator
06-17-2009, 12:17 PM
He's got more ballhandling skills than Miles/Mason could ever dream of having... He's not cut out of that mold at all. And he's got a nice mid range game, although his 3 pt shooting could use a lot of work.
:oldlol: @ Miles not having handles.

Interminator
06-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Like Derozan, but not sure with this Bosh thing overhanging us if we have the patience for another project. If Evans is gone guys like Gerald Henderson,Flynn, Holiday, Jennings could all help right away.
The more i see of Henderson the more i like his slashing ability and he was the go to man for Duke most of the season. Gets to the line nice also.
If Toronto is looking to bring back Delfino, the gut feeling would be that DeRozan is the pick.

antonaki1
06-17-2009, 12:46 PM
If Toronto is looking to bring back Delfino, the gut feeling would be that DeRozan is the pick.

Well i would love seeing him get the nod. I'm just glad i don't have to make that decision because i don't think i would have the balls to pick him over some of the others. He could be an allstar in time, even "Vince like", but as of right now he is more "Jamario like". It's a gamble for sure, but he definitely would be exciting to watch.

kmart
06-17-2009, 12:48 PM
But their games are not similar at all, Rudy has range and has always had range while DeRozan does not also Rudy has very good handles for his height, he just doesnt pass it.:oldlol:

DeRozan has no 3 point shooting ability whatsoever, and his mid range shot is shaky at best.

DeRozan struggles with defense, if you watched USC anytime this past season you would notice how much he gambles defensively.

That doesnt take away from the fact his potential to be better in the future with good development espesially with a coach like Alex English is definetly worth a Lottery pick on.

Derozan was killing it on defense against Arizona St. in the Pac-10 finals. Like he did a pretty good job on James Harden. So i think his defense is solid.

His Midrange game is the best part of his game. Its is not shaky at all. And if you read some of the draft reports, they say his range isn't taht bad at all. Derozan is defiantly a slasher and should add the ability to run and get to the hole for us.

Derozan's potential seems to be higher than anyone in this draft except for Grffin and i certainly would take the risk on the guy.

Interminator
06-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Derozan was killing it on defense against Arizona St. in the Pac-10 finals. Like he did a pretty good job on James Harden. So i think his defense is solid.
James Harden is very easy to defend, hes a high IQ basketball player who sometimes overthinks on the court and lacks the willingness to take the shots even if they are bad.

His Midrange game is the best part of his game. Its is not shaky at all. And if you read some of the draft reports, they say his range isn't taht bad at all. Derozan is defiantly a slasher and should add the ability to run and get to the hole for us.
Your range cant be bad when shooting in front of invisible defenders, hes definetly a slasher.

Derozan's potential seems to be higher than anyone in this draft except for Grffin and i certainly would take the risk on the guy.
I agree, but nobody is sure how good Dede can actually be as a pro.

Is his ceiling really Vince Carter?
Nobody knows.

FinishHim!
06-17-2009, 01:30 PM
^^ Is this dude (Interminator) retarded? Shaky midrange game? His midrange jumper is the best part of his game along with his ability to get to the rim. He may be somewhat of a project but I agree with Kmart that outside of Griffin he may very well be the player with the most upside in this draft and well worth the risk. Guys like Henderson, Evans, etc.. are probably more NBA ready but 2-3 years from now a guy like Henderson as an example will look like Joey Graham while Derozen could be a potential future all-star.

Molson
06-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Derozan has a bad mid range game? Huh?

Derozan has a very good mid range shot with good form. He gets up high and releases the ball high and has shown he can shoot over defenders. He tends to fade quite a bit which is not good, but he still knocks them down so it works for him.

Not sure where people get the impression he can only hit open jumpers. he knocks them down with a hand in his face with good regularity.

It's not his jumpshot that is bad, it's his range but at least he has good form.

I think if you can get a guy with the potential of a Derozan with the 9th spot then you jump all over it.

This team is not built right now to win anything and needs a major overhaul imo so i think the Raps can be patient with a guy that has a chance to blossom into something special.

Derozan is an obvious pick at 9 if he is available imo.

kmart
06-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Derozan has a bad mid range game? Huh?

Derozan has a very good mid range shot with good form. He gets up high and releases the ball high and has shown he can shoot over defenders. He tends to fade quite a bit which is not good, but he still knocks them down so it works for him.

Not sure where people get the impression he can only hit open jumpers. he knocks them down with a hand in his face with good regularity.

It's not his jumpshot that is bad, it's his range but at least he has good form.

I think if you can get a guy with the potential of a Derozan with the 9th spot then you jump all over it.

This team is not built right now to win anything and needs a major overhaul imo so i think the Raps can be patient with a guy that has a chance to blossom into something special.

Derozan is an obvious pick at 9 if he is available imo.

If Derozan gets NBA 3 pt range, which many scouts say he has, he'll be deadly because his slashing game and his midrange game are so effective. He'll definatly has the potential of an all-star but the problem is that he has the bust potential of a Green Green. If it were me i would take the risk. Derozan proved to everyone that he could play at the end of the year, beating Arizona St. in the Pac-10 championship and pulling off a first round upset in the NCAA 64 tounrney and near.

Interminator
06-17-2009, 02:11 PM
^^ Is this dude (Interminator) retarded? Shaky midrange game? His midrange jumper is the best part of his game along with his ability to get to the rim. He may be somewhat of a project but I agree with Kmart that outside of Griffin he may very well be the player with the most upside in this draft and well worth the risk. Guys like Henderson, Evans, etc.. are probably more NBA ready but 2-3 years from now a guy like Henderson as an example will look like Joey Graham while Derozen could be a potential future all-star.
Its shaky.

If you watched him this season you would realize that sometimes he can stroke well and other times he misses a lot.
His mid range shot is inconsistent, there is no debating that.:oldlol:

Dr.Funk
06-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Raps worked out DeRozan today.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=282133

bokes15
06-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Its shaky.

If you watched him this season you would realize that sometimes he can stroke well and other times he misses a lot.
His mid range shot is inconsistent, there is no debating that.:oldlol:
Derozen's midrange game is on point.. And even if you consider it off an on, I believe that an NBA jumper is something that players develop if they are willing to put in the work. Kobe, Lebron, Wade, and a lot of others didn't come into the league as the most consistent shooters but through hard work, training and practice they developed it over time. He's got all the other tools, pretty good defender, great athlete, I think a jumper is the least of our problems.

Beebo
06-17-2009, 06:06 PM
I can see why he gets VC comparisons.....he even talks and sorta looks like VC. But I honestly think he's just gonna be an Iggy type of player. Nothing wrong with that though.

bokes15
06-17-2009, 07:06 PM
I can see why he gets VC comparisons.....he even talks and sorta looks like VC. But I honestly think he's just gonna be an Iggy type of player. Nothing wrong with that though.
Even if he did turn into an Iggy type, i'd be ecstatic. Although I wouldn't like that lineup if he was starting alongside Delfino.

kmart
06-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Even if he did turn into an Iggy type, i'd be ecstatic. Although I wouldn't like that lineup if he was starting alongside Delfino.

He certainly has the potential to turn into Iggy, maybe even better. I think of him more of Josh Howard though with his ability to slash.

RapsFan
06-17-2009, 09:06 PM
I seem more Miles and Mason then Iggy and VC....but who knows. I hope I am wrong.

Interminator
06-17-2009, 09:35 PM
He certainly has the potential to turn into Iggy, maybe even better. I think of him more of Josh Howard though with his ability to slash.
Howard at least has range and came into the NBA with a higher basketball IQ after 4 years at Wake Forest.

Thats why Howard produced early on in the NBA, unlike DeRozan who may need the duration of his rookie contract before he produces the way the Raptors will need him to do so at either the 2 or 3 position.

I dont think you realize how much more of an all around player Igoudala was coming out of Arizona, he could penetrate, shoot, pass, rebound, play good defense.

The fact you passed on him for Aroujo is still one of the worst picks ever made.

Qwyjibo
06-17-2009, 10:19 PM
I seem more Miles and Mason then Iggy and VC....but who knows. I hope I am wrong.
I do too if we're only comparing those options. Derozan doesn't have the handles and playmaking abilities for others that Iguodala did/does.

I could see him as a better Desmond Mason which I would take in this weak draft at #9. I do think he has more star potential than some other guys being thrown around this pick (Henderson and Clark) which helps.

I've said it before that the Raptors need to hit a home run in this draft and get a borderline All-Star but if they simply end up with a decent starter, that's nothing to complain about.

RapsFan
06-18-2009, 09:32 AM
The thing about Mason, is that he was a very very good to great college player....Oklahoma State I think? I remember watching him way back then and he was miles ahead of Derozen.

Personally, I see Derozen as maybe contributing in year 3, or once he's onto his next contract. I don't think Harden has much althletic ability and could be a bust. Jordan Hill looks like he too could bust and basically be a Mikki Moore (not a good thing). This draft is gross. Unless Holliday or Evans fall to us, I hope we move the pick.

bonez26
06-18-2009, 09:44 AM
The thing about Mason, is that he was a very very good to great college player....Oklahoma State I think? I remember watching him way back then and he was miles ahead of Derozen.

Personally, I see Derozen as maybe contributing in year 3, or once he's onto his next contract. I don't think Harden has much althletic ability and could be a bust. Jordan Hill looks like he too could bust and basically be a Mikki Moore (not a good thing). This draft is gross. Unless Holliday or Evans fall to us, I hope we move the pick.

Moving the pick is already not an option since Colangelo said he is thinking of picking up a 2nd - 1st rounder several times.

RapsFan
06-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Moving the pick is already not an option since Colangelo said he is thinking of picking up a 2nd - 1st rounder several times.

GMs says a lot of things. I am sure moving the pick is one of many options.

kmart
06-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Love how Deroozan contributed the most when it mattered for USC. In the Pac-10 Tourney to make the 64 tourney.

Vs. UCLA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4nptX_MCxY&fmt=18
Vs. Arizona St. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0iNRCEhFAA

Imagine Jose with this guy

Toni
06-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Love how Deroozan contributed the most when it mattered for USC. In the Pac-10 Tourney to make the 64 tourney.

Vs. UCLA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4nptX_MCxY&fmt=18
Vs. Arizona St. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0iNRCEhFAA

Imagine Jose with this guy

From what I've seen in that UCLA game, it looks like he plays very good perimeter defense and likes to get in the passing lanes. Which is something the Raptors ironically lack. :rockon:

Molson
06-18-2009, 02:01 PM
I think the thing about Derozan that gets overlooked too much is the fact the he improved so much throughout his freshman year. OK, so he didn;t live up to the hype going into college, but it wouldn't have been easy to live up to as much hype as he had. The point is though that he slowly improved in the first half and then turned it up a lot in the second half culminating in a fantastic final month when the games are so much harder to play because they count so much more and everyone on the court gives everything they have.

The guys he is being compared to here are guys that stayed in college a few years. I can;t even imagine how good Derozan would be if he stayed one more year and then if he stayed a third year? With how much desire he has shown to improve his game, we'd possibly be talking about the best player in college.

Derozan is a bit of a project but he has shown a desire and willingness to do what it takes to improve. Comboine this with his natural abilities and athleticism, he has the potential to become a good player in this league.

I'd be ecstatic if the Raps land this guy with the 9th pick.

RapsFan
06-18-2009, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't be unhappy to have Derozen, but he would be a few years away and is that what we want?

HalphbreedBaller
06-18-2009, 10:25 PM

Is his ceiling really Vince Carter?
Nobody knows.

I hope it is His dunks are as good as VC's younger dunks...

bokes15
06-18-2009, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't be unhappy to have Derozen, but he would be a few years away and is that what we want?
Says the guy who would be willing to give Beasley developmental time in replacement of Chris Bosh... Make up your mind, do you think this team is in rebuilding mode or not?

Toni
06-19-2009, 02:39 AM
Says the guy who would be willing to give Beasley developmental time in replacement of Chris Bosh... Make up your mind, do you think this team is in rebuilding mode or not?

It really all depends on what happens with Chris Bosh.

If we trade him, we go into rebuilding.

If we don't trade him, we try to find as many veteran players as possible to help turn this team into a contender ASAP.

Toni
06-19-2009, 02:40 AM
What do you guys think of Earl Clark?

http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/2009/06/16/EVANS061609.raptors/index.html

He sounds like a ****ing retard to me.

Jballer
06-19-2009, 10:14 AM
I hope it is His dunks are as good as VC's younger dunks...

Which is why I refered to him earlier as the "next Air" apparent..

:applause:

As I say I am sure he will be good. I am not convinced about great.

Every expert says this draft is deep in "good players". Some will take time to mature.

We had that in Joey Graham.

I would rather trade down for a Senior with maturity who can play off the bench now and try to get an existing player or two...

1) change up speed back up PG
2) lock down 2-3 defender

(and I am alsways partial to a Rasho type 5)

kmart
06-19-2009, 12:44 PM
I think the fact that DeRozan plays defense helps him a lot because he might not get time playing to use his offensive skills. His Defense could provide him with some solid minutes that he might not have had.

With DeRozans Offensive game, his midrange jumper is deadly along with his ability to get to the rim. If he works on some handles and the range on his shot this kid has a lot of potential.

kmart
06-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Which is why I refered to him earlier as the "next Air" apparent..

:applause:

As I say I am sure he will be good. I am not convinced about great.

Every expert says this draft is deep in "good players". Some will take time to mature.

We had that in Joey Graham.

I would rather trade down for a Senior with maturity who can play off the bench now and try to get an existing player or two...

1) change up speed back up PG
2) lock down 2-3 defender

(and I am alsways partial to a Rasho type 5)

The Seniors in this draft are extremely poor. I would stay away from the seniors in this draft.

Molson
06-19-2009, 01:17 PM

I think he is the pick whether we are in rebuilding mode or not. There is noone in the draft at 9 that is going to contribute immediately and turn this team into a contender suddenly. Even a guy like Flynn who may be the most ready of the players to contribute positively to make a difference would be a waste because Jose would be on the court most of the time and Flynn cannot play the two spot. Guys like Jrue and Jennings are probably going to take just as long as Derozan to make a REAL differemce in this sqaud.

At least with Derozan we get a guy that fills a position that has been a bane to this organization since VC left and has the potential to a building block to the future if we can't win now. the reality is that Bosh is a flight risk whether we want to beleive it or not and so CoAngelo needs to prepare for that possibility.

If Bosh stays. Great. Then at least in 3-4 years hen he is in his absolute prime he could have a very good wing player by his side and we will be very good then.

If Bosh goes. Well then we have another guy to potentially build around.

Rebuilding mode or not, no draft pick avaialble at that spot will change the outcome for this team in the next year or two. That will have to be done through trades or FA>

Dr. Hoopenstein
06-19-2009, 06:26 PM
DeRozen is a nice player who is a couple of years away in my mind from being a nightly consistent rotation player on a NBA level.

If Toronto wants a wing player who can play right away TWilliams(played at Rainier Beach HS ala Doug Christie) is the guy. He's has a NBA level point forward type of skill set similar to DChristie plus is a long armed 6'6 player. Needs to work on his shot but has been working out w/ Gary Payton lately.

TWilliams will be the steal of the draft the more he slides.

RapsFan
06-19-2009, 08:54 PM

You are too much sometimes.

Aren't these separate issues? Right now, with the draft less then a week away, we have Bosh. I want to keep Bosh. So I do not want a guy who is 3 years away. If we move Bosh, we'll be terrible for a while. BUT if we move him, I would prefer it to be for an upside guy.

I have no clue what direction this team is in right now.

Thank you Toni for stating the obvious that Bokes clearly missed.

Interminator
06-19-2009, 08:57 PM
DeRozan will be out of the league if he doesnt reach his potential, so I'll once again rank his potential.

Average career-Darius Miles meets Desmond Mason
Good career-Gerald Wallace including defensive prowess
Great career-Longer version of Vince Carter without the great ballhandling ability

kmart
06-20-2009, 01:47 PM
DeRozan will be out of the league if he doesnt reach his potential, so I'll once again rank his potential.

Average career-Darius Miles meets Desmond Mason
Good career-Gerald Wallace including defensive prowess
Great career-Longer version of Vince Carter without the great ballhandling ability

Bad- shorter Joey Graham?
Terrible- Gerald Green

Lets hope he isn't that bad.

I guess its how the coaching staff works on him and puts his skills together to be a great player.

Interminator
06-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Bad- Gerald Green with no range
Terrible- Qyntel Woods

Lets hope he isn't that bad.

I guess its how the coaching staff works on him and puts his skills together to be a great player.
Had to fix things, if he doesn't improve at all as a player he will be out of the league at the end of his rookie contract.

He is definetly the most risk-reward draft pick in 2009, because with DeRozan he has nothing else outside of his exceptional athletic ability & potential to keep him in the NBA.

Toni
06-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Had to fix things, if he doesn't improve at all as a player he will be out of the league at the end of his rookie contract.

He is definetly the most risk-reward draft pick in 2009, because with DeRozan he has nothing else outside of his exceptional athletic ability & potential to keep him in the NBA.

Decent mid range game and work ethic. Tie that in with athleticism and you got very good potential in a palyer who can become a future all star. I would totally take him at #9, maybe even over Tyreke Evans if he is on the board.

Interminator
06-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Decent mid range game and work ethic. Tie that in with athleticism and you got very good potential in a palyer who can become a future all star. I would totally take him at #9, maybe even over Tyreke Evans if he is on the board.
Thats not enough to save him in the NBA, DeRozan can not create his own shot, unless you watch basketball closely or have played basketball like I have you would realize how much of a flaw that is in a player espescially a player like DeRozan with his athletic ability.

If DeRozan had the handles to attack the basket in a half court set he would be going #2, actually if he could do this he wouldnt even need to develop his outside shot.

DeRozan would only thrive in the open court where he can dunk, outside of that espescially from the half court he wont have much of anything going for him until he can create his own shot.

kmart
06-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Thats not enough to save him in the NBA, DeRozan can not create his own shot, unless you watch basketball closely or have played basketball like I have you would realize how much of a flaw that is in a player espescially a player like DeRozan with his athletic ability.

If DeRozan had the handles to attack the basket in a half court set he would be going #2, actually if he could do this he wouldnt even need to develop his outside shot.

DeRozan would only thrive in the open court where he can dunk, outside of that espescially from the half court he wont have much of anything going for him until he can create his own shot.

I watched 2 USC games this year and they happened to be in the Pac-10 finals where Derozan played out of his mind on defense and got easy dunks in transition. His mid-range game also looked solid in both games.

I agree that he can't create off the dribble and if he could he would be deadly. And if he could slash like Gerald Wallace he would be deadly. I say he does end up like a Gerald Wallace type player, one that has a decent mid-range game and loves taking it to the hole.

His strengths:
Athletic ability (Hopefully he can use it to get to the rim)
Mid-Range jumper
Defense
Work Ethic (he got better throughout the year at USC)

His Flaws:
3pt range
Creating his own shot off the dribble
He doesn't have crazy handles but decent handles

Toni
06-21-2009, 12:31 AM
I don't think he will become anything like Wallace because he isn't nearly as strong and cannot slash the way he does.

If he can become anywhere near an Iguodala type player I would be very happy. If there was one player I would compare Derozan to it would be Iggy, not VC. Just because of defensive intensity, getting in the passing lanes and not having great range. Also flashy dunks. :D

Interminator
06-21-2009, 12:37 AM
I don't think he will become anything like Wallace because he isn't nearly as strong and cannot slash the way he does.

If he can become anywhere near an Iguodala type player I would be very happy. If there was one player I would compare Derozan to it would be Iggy, not VC. Just because of defensive intensity, getting in the passing lanes and not having great range. Also flashy dunks. :D
Once again your failing to acknowledge the lack of a handle DeRozan has compared to Iggy, Iggy also has much better court vision and is a very high IQ basketball player, something he doesnt get much credit for at all.

Also Gerald Wallace is a fair comparison considering Wallace like DeRozan was highly touted coming out of HS and had an underwhelming freshman year as a whole with some highlights that showed flashes of his potential, however Wallace went in the 20's onto a Championship contending team allowing him the chance to develop while DeRozan is nothing lower than a Top 12 pick who will be expected to contribute immediately off the bench, not at the end of one.

kmart
06-21-2009, 01:59 AM
Once again your failing to acknowledge the lack of a handle DeRozan has compared to Iggy, Iggy also has much better court vision and is a very high IQ basketball player, something he doesnt get much credit for at all.

Also Gerald Wallace is a fair comparison considering Wallace like DeRozan was highly touted coming out of HS and had an underwhelming freshman year as a whole with some highlights that showed flashes of his potential, however Wallace went in the 20's onto a Championship contending team allowing him the chance to develop while DeRozan is nothing lower than a Top 12 pick who will be expected to contribute immediately off the bench, not at the end of one.

I think that the fact that Derozan had a excellent Pac-10 tourney makes a huge difference, so I'd say hes a better prospect. He beat out tough teams like Arizona, Arizona St, and UCLA. Also I doubt that Derozan gets a lot minutes with Delfino and Marion likely returning. But he'll get some opportunities to play maybe around 15 - 20 mins but thats quite a bit more than what Gerald Wallace got in Sacramento.

lilbeastnani
02-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Interesting to look back and see what everyone thought of him before we drafted him. Now.... he's an all-star.

lilbeastnani
02-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Looks like me and Toni hit it right on the money.

Jballer
02-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Interesting to look back and see what everyone thought of him before we drafted him. Now.... he's an all-star.

You mean this... Derozan or Jennings..

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154282

Zan Tabak
02-06-2014, 08:03 PM
You mean this... Derozan or Jennings..

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154282
Meh, what do I know? :oldlol:

Still think Jennings is a good player though.

Jballer
02-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Meh, what do I know? :oldlol:

Still think Jennings is a good player though.

No fault in in mate :cheers:

I missed the post/posting because I didnt know what to think of Derozan. He was so much "upside" and "down the road" I was like others thinking "meh - we will see" too long to project when you want to see progress now.

I was even on record some where back there liking TWill. Had no idea he was a basketcase but I thought coming out of (Kentucky ????) Twill was a rotation ready rookie with upside. I remember thinking the Nets had pulled a better pick than the Raps.

In hindsight both Derozan and Val were very very good picks; neither destined to pay dividends till later.

Some luck here as I dont think Management at the time necessarily bought into long term success... but I am sure glad we have them both. Neither may end up as "perennial all stars" (perhaps occasional all - stars) but they are good pieces to build around long term if they will stay here.

Jballer
02-10-2014, 01:47 PM
I still think Drummond > Ross despite 50 points and slam championships.

Even if you couldnt manage a team with both Val and Drummond - ( and that is far from sure although Cheecks had troubles managing Munroe and Drummond) - one or the other would bring you a top 5 pick in any given lottery I am fairly sure. It would have been a real ace in the whole...

Whether I trust Colengelo with that Ace is mute point because he didnt pick Drummond and couldnt be counted on to hold for longer term value.