PDA

View Full Version : Faster recovery process for bruised quad?

Automajic23
06-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Was running pickup yesterday outdoors and attacked a big guy at the rim on a fastbreak and he kneed me in my right quad. I came scrambling down unable to get up for 5 min, it turned into a big knot and had trouble bending it beyond 90 degrees. I was hobbling around for a little but I could almost walk fine after stretching it out for a while and keeping it warm.

I applied icy hot on it when I got home, stretched it out for 20 min, then iced it down for 20 minutes. I applied Icy hot 2 more times after that before going to bed.

Today it's a little better but it's still a pain in the ass to bend, and it bothers me when I walk. Applied icy hot again before I got into work.

Anyone get these before? How long should I stay off it, I really need to practice with my team tonight to go over our defense and some presses I want them to run. Any treatment I should be doing to get this to heal/recover faster? My guess is I'll have to do an exceptional job of warming up the muscle then stretching it out really well so it's loose enough for me to run on...

Junny
06-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Are you talking about a corked thigh? If I know anything about corked thighs (which I very well may not at all), most of the time they're not much of a problem. From the sound of your post it doesn't sound too bad, at least not bad enough to stop you wanting to play. But I would say warming up is essential.

Then again, you might not want to pay too much attention to my post, since my attitude is if there's no bone, tendon, or ligament involved, no problem. I'm pretty sure as long as you don't actually rip or tear a muscle, muscles tend to recover a lot quicker than bones, tendons and ligaments.

Again, I'm the furthest thing from an expert, so feel free to ignore.

Automajic23
06-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Are you talking about a corked thigh? If I know anything about corked thighs (which I very well may not at all), most of the time they're not much of a problem. From the sound of your post it doesn't sound too bad, at least not bad enough to stop you wanting to play. But I would say warming up is essential.

Then again, you might not want to pay too much attention to my post, since my attitude is if there's no bone, tendon, or ligament involved, no problem. I'm pretty sure as long as you don't actually rip or tear a muscle, muscles tend to recover a lot quicker than bones, tendons and ligaments.

Again, I'm the furthest thing from an expert, so feel free to ignore.

After googling this for the last 30 min, it appears to be a thigh contusion. Very common injury, considering the frequency of getting kneed or elbowed in contact sports.

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_thighcon_sma.htm

I believe I may have a grade 2 contusion, doesn't look like I should be doing much on my leg for the next 2-3 days. Hopefully I can get by for my game on saturday.

FYI for all you other athletes if you are ever dealt this injury.