PDA

View Full Version : Are the 2009 Lakers the weakest champions in NBA history?

SilkyJohnson
06-20-2009, 04:09 PM
One has to wonder if Kevin Garnett was available during the post season, the Boston Celtics would have undoubtedly put them to the sword in the finals.

Or if Orlando Magic had not have had their most potent creative force operating at 60% of his capacity, playing in very limited minutes, Magic would have run riot in the NBA finals.

Or if the officials had not have been influenced to guide the Lakers past the Nuggets, the Denver Nuggets would have advanced from the conference finals instead of the Lakers.

Or if the foul tactics deployed by Lakers against Houston in their series had been punished accordingly, Lakers wouldn't have gone through against a depleated Houston missing their back up centre and first choice point guard.

Thoughts?

cotdt
06-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Die.

DonDadda59
06-20-2009, 04:11 PM
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq236/Bodegaswift/chappelle-player-haters-ball.jpg

catch24
06-20-2009, 04:13 PM
One has to wonder if Kevin Garnett was available during the post season, the Boston Celtics would have undoubtedly put them to the sword in the finals.

Or if Orlando Magic had not have had their most potent creative force operating at 60% of his capacity, playing in very limited minutes, Magic would have run riot in the NBA finals.

Or if the officials had not have been influenced to guide the Lakers past the Nuggets, the Denver Nuggets would have contested the conference finals instead of the Lakers.

Or if the foul tactics deployed by Lakers against Houston in their series had been punished accordingly, Lakers wouldn't have gone through against a depleated Houston missing their back up centre and first choice point guard.

Thoughts?

Were the Spurs a weak champion in 2007 when Phoenix got screwed due to Amare and Boris Diaw getting suspended game 5? I can play the "what if" games all day long. As for your question, are they the weakest? No.

D-Rose
06-20-2009, 04:13 PM
I guess Duncan has 3 rings cause Ewing was injured? Wait no he has 2 because the league suspended the Suns players?

Lakers had no help vs. Denver, just a better team.

Rockets series, I'm pretty sure the only suspended player was from the Lakers. Yao was injured not suspended or hurt by LA.

People bring up Garnett but that means Boston beats Orlando and it's Boston vs. Cleveland. Cleveland was decent vs. Boston this season...one has to wonder? hmmm

KB2clutch
06-20-2009, 04:20 PM

Or if the officials had not have been influenced to guide the Lakers past the Nuggets, the Denver Nuggets would have advanced from the conference finals instead of the Lakers.

Thoughts?

u mad?

GUUS
06-20-2009, 04:20 PM
no they arent and I dont think healthy celtics without James Posey would have beaten them

1987_Lakers
06-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Not even close. I am certain the '09 Lakers would have beaten the '75 Warriors, '76 Celtics, '78 Bullets, '79 Sonics, '95 Rockets, & '06 Heat in a 7 game series.

momo
06-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Yes.
What does that say about the competition?

DonDadda59
06-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Not even close. I am certain the '09 Lakers would have beaten the '75 Warriors, '76 Celtics, '78 Bullets, '79 Sonics, '95 Rockets, & '06 Heat in a 7 game series.

'95: Arguable, but Hakeem would've tap danced all over the Lakers front court to the tune of 33PPG (55%) 14RPG 4 APG 3BPG 2.5 SPG... just a rough estimate.

'06: Pau Gasol couldn't handle Shaq this season, that version of the Diesel would've harpooned him. Kobe would get torched by Wade the way he was playing.

nbastatus
06-20-2009, 04:43 PM
that's true, but they still are champions.

Bigsmoke
06-20-2009, 04:44 PM
they won 65 games... i dont know so

Superjock
06-20-2009, 04:47 PM
they won 65 games... i dont know so

:cheers: You hit the nail on the head.

1987_Lakers
06-20-2009, 04:51 PM
'95: Arguable, but Hakeem would've tap danced all over the Lakers front court to the tune of 33PPG (55%) 14RPG 4 APG 3BPG 2.5 SPG... just a rough estimate.

'06: Pau Gasol couldn't handle Shaq this season, that version of the Diesel would've harpooned him. Kobe would get torched by Wade the way he was playing.

That may be true, but the Lakers still would of had an advantage in the frontcourt, other than Hakeem who did the Rockets have down low in the post? The Lakers size would have cost big problems for the Rockets and not to mention Kobe would have abused the 32 year old Clyde Drexler.

jmill
06-20-2009, 05:00 PM

Thoughts?

Won 65 games.

4-0 againsta healthy Boston/Cleveland this year.

4-1 against the Magic in the finals

6-1 against the Rockets with Yao

7-3 against the Nuggets this year.

Yawn.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6443/philchampagne.jpg

soadrules
06-20-2009, 05:00 PM

I'm not saying the Lakers are the weakest, but in commentary to this post.

Do you really think they would beat the '95 Rockets? WIth Clyde, Hakeem, everybody else? Really now?

jmill
06-20-2009, 05:03 PM

Do you really think they would beat the '95 Rockets? WIth Clyde, Hakeem, everybody else? Really now?

We know, a 47-35 Rockets team with a PD of +2.1 would crush a 65-17 Lakers team with a PD of +7.6.

Silly Lakers fan for thinking they could win.

1987_Lakers
06-20-2009, 05:05 PM

Other than Hakeem and Drexler (who was past his prime), the Rockets had a bunch of role players. I am very confident the Lakers would have won in a 7 game series.

jmill
06-20-2009, 05:07 PM

Kobe's 09 playoff stats are extremely close to Wade's actually.

Kobe- 30/5.5./5.5,46% FG PER-26.8, win shares- 4.8
Wade- 28/5.9/5.7, 50% FG PER-26.9, win shares- 4.8

Wade's shooting % in the finals was better which is nice and all but it kind of helps when you're facing the 11th ranked defensive team as opposed to the number 1 ranked defensive team like Kobe was.

Outside of that, they were remarkably similar. And when the biggest Heat fan on the forum even says LA would win, well, there's a good chance LA would be the favorite.

chitownsfinest
06-20-2009, 05:08 PM
We know, a 47-35 Rockets team with a PD of +2.1 would crush a 65-17 Lakers team with a PD of +7.6.

Silly Lakers fan for thinking they could win.
You can't use the season record because Rockets were a different team when they made the Clyde trade, just like you can't use the 03-04 Pistons record since they became a deifferent team after the Sheed trade. The Rockets also went into an impressive run in the playoffs when they beat 4 straight 50 win teams without having home court in a single round. That is amazing.

jmill
06-20-2009, 05:10 PM
You can't use the season record because Rockets were a different team when they made the Clyde trade, just like you can't use the 03-04 Pistons record since they became a deifferent team after the Sheed trade. The Rockets also went into an impressive run in the playoffs when they beat 4 straight 50 win teams without having home court in a single round. That is amazing.

Okay. Like I said, Lakers obv get swept. We're all just homers for thinking a 65 win team could compete with the 95 rockets.

Big#50
06-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Were the Spurs a weak champion in 2007 when Phoenix got screwed due to Amare and Boris Diaw getting suspended game 5? I can play the "what if" games all day long. As for your question, are they the weakest? No.
The old Amare suspension excuse. The Spurs own the Suns, FACT. This Lakers team is the weakest champ in the last 20 years.

GiveItToBurrito
06-20-2009, 05:13 PM
I think they're a decent championship team, maybe even one of the more talented ones ever. Even the Laker teams with Kobe and Shaq didn't have the depth that this one has (Fisher was the third highest scorer for most of the three-peat). Not saying that this team is better than those ones, but they're definitely a great team that was only held back by their mental lapses.

ProfessorMurder
06-20-2009, 05:13 PM
4-0 againsta healthy Boston/Cleveland this year.

4-1 against the Magic in the finals

6-1 against the Rockets with Yao

7-3 against the Nuggets this year.

Dude you're starting to bug me with those numbers. You keep posting them, but when someone calls you on it saying, 'they don't mean the Lakers automatically win'. You say, "Well I'm not saying they will, I'm just stating facts."

You're clearly hinting/alluding to what you think those numbers mean or should mean. Just admit you're posting those records to say you think the Lakers would win. We get it.

It's f*cking annoying.

jmill
06-20-2009, 05:14 PM

And by the way, I think I can use the regular season record.

The Rockets before the Drexler trade were 31-17, or 14 games over .500

The Rockets after the Drexler trade were 16-18, or 2 games under .500.

My point stands.

Rake2204
06-20-2009, 05:16 PM
I was a little offended when I first heard someone wonder aloud whether or not the 2004 Detroit Pistons were the weakest champions ever. Alas, I came to discover that this thread pops up after every single championship round.

KG5MVP
06-20-2009, 05:18 PM
this is the weakest champion ship team, injured yao, injured nelson, injured KG

jmill
06-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Dude you're starting to bug me with those numbers. You keep posting them, but when someone calls you on it saying, 'they don't mean the Lakers automatically win'. You say, "Well I'm not saying they will, I'm just stating facts."

You're clearly hinting/alluding to what you think those numbers mean or should mean. Just admit you're posting those records to say you think the Lakers would win. We get it.

It's f*cking annoying.

I'm stating the facts. The Lakers did very well overall against the best teams in the NBA this year when they actually played them. If detractors want to say things like "but regular season seaon games don't always mean playoff wins!" that's cool, but they're still just speculating. Whereas I'm just posting what actually happened. It's not the Lakers fault players got hurt before or during the postseason, or that good teams played bad against them. When the Lakers played the best teams, whether in the post season or regular season, they did very well.

If people want to speculate and play what ifs, to each his own, but in the real games, the ones that were actually played, the Lakers won.

jmill
06-20-2009, 05:21 PM
this is the weakest champion ship team, injured yao, injured nelson, injured KG

Well the C's championship run was just as weak then, took 7 games against the Hawks/Cavs, plus they still haven't beaten the Lakers with Pau/Bynum/Ariza playing.

chitownsfinest
06-20-2009, 05:28 PM
And by the way, I think I can use the regular season record.

The Rockets before the Drexler trade were 31-17, or 14 games over .500

The Rockets after the Drexler trade were 16-18, or 2 games under .500.

My point stands.
Using seasonal records is not a great way to speculate because playoffs is a whole another season and various circumstances can happen in the playoffs. Fact: Rockets beat 4 straight 50 win teams in the playoffs without having homecourt either round. Another fact: Hakeem played out of the world in the playoffs: 33/10/5 on 53% shooting. Robert Horry stepped his game up in the playoffs and the Smith/Cassell duo scored 21 ppg together. Also, the Lakers strategy of hounding Hakeem in the paint like they did to Dwight would not work because Hakeem had the post moves and footork to evade defenses and get around them. I was watching an old Rockets/Jazz tape from the 94 playoffs and Hakeem was practically fronted the entire game but still scored 40 points. Hakeem is also a great passer and the Rockets shooters were deadly in those playoffs.

ProfessorMurder
06-20-2009, 05:29 PM
If detractors want to say things like "but regular season seaon games don't always mean playoff wins!" that's cool, but they're still just speculating. Whereas I'm just posting what actually happened.

Well you just used the same argument again... But you're speculating as much as the guys you've been fighting with.

Numbers don't mean everything.

You love the Lakers and think they're the best, but you're just spouting these same 4 facts that don't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Plus you can't predict the future of sporting events anyway.

Disaprine
06-20-2009, 05:31 PM

Thoughts?
:roll: did you ever hear of the 2006 miami heat

chitownsfinest
06-20-2009, 05:33 PM
I am not sayin 95 Rockets>09 Lakers in my argument but I am saying the series can go either way because Rockets were a really unpredictable team. I would easily rank this yrs lakers over the 06 Heat, 03 Spurs , 94 Rockers, and the 79 Sonics.

jmill
06-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Using seasonal records is not a great way to speculate because playoffs is a whole another season and various circumstances can happen in the playoffs. Fact: Rockets beat 4 straight 50 win teams in the playoffs without having homecourt either round. Another fact: Hakeem played out of the world in the playoffs: 33/10/5 on 53% shooting. Robert Horry stepped his game up in the playoffs and the Smith/Cassell duo scored 21 ppg together. Also, the Lakers strategy of hounding Hakeem in the paint like they did to Dwight would not work because Hakeem had the post moves and footork to evade defenses and get around them. I was watching an old Rockets/Jazz tape from the 94 playoffs and Hakeem was practically fronted the entire game but still scored 40 points. Hakeem is also a great passer and the Rockets shooters were deadly in those playoffs.

Fact: I already read your first post stating that the Rockets beat 4 50 win teams without homecourt, and I'm aware Hakeem averaged 33/10. This does not change my opnion that it's reasonable to think a 65 win Laker team with a +7.4 PD could compete against a 47 win Rocket team with a PD of +2.4.

chitownsfinest
06-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Fact: I already read your first post stating that the Rockets beat 4 50 win teams without homecourt, and I'm aware Hakeem averaged 33/10. This does not change my opnion that it's reasonable to think a 65 win Laker team with a +7.4 PD could compete against a 47 win Rocket team with a PD of +2.4.
Where did I say that the 09 Lakers would get crushed? The series can go either way based on circumstances. I am just saying it is not wise to base the 95 Rockets off their seasonal record.

craiye
06-20-2009, 05:35 PM
I was a little offended when I first heard someone wonder aloud whether or not the 2004 Detroit Pistons were the weakest champions ever. Alas, I came to discover that this thread pops up after every single championship round.

QFT

These dumb*** threads come up every year.

I'm not Laker fan, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the talent this team has. When they're focused and clicking they play beautiful basketball and not many can beat them like that.

I don't think you can be a weak team and win the championship, it doesn't add up. For that reason, it's not really relevant how "weak" one championship team is compared to another. Fact is, they're the champs.

soadrules
06-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Other than Hakeem and Drexler (who was past his prime), the Rockets had a bunch of role players. I am very confident the Lakers would have won in a 7 game series.

Not just 'role playes'. Very good players. Horry in his 'statistical' [ Ithink] prime, very good players. Not superstars, or even stars, but still great.

What's the difference between the Lakers with Kobe and Pau and a bunch of 'role players'?

Disaprine
06-20-2009, 05:39 PM

Thoughts?
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/51/el1oo2.jpg

jmill
06-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Well you just used the same argument again... But you're speculating as much as the guys you've been fighting with.

Numbers don't mean everything.

You love the Lakers and think they're the best, but you're just spouting these same 4 facts that don't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Plus you can't predict the future of sporting events anyway.

In the games the Lakers played against the C's/Rockets/Cavs/Nuggets when those teams were healthy, the Lakers had a winning record against all those teams.

This is not speculating. It's fact. So when someone makes an OP stating implying the Lakers are the weakest championship team ever I will gladly point out that the Lakers did well in the games that were played this year against said teams.

And the best part is, let's say I am speculating, in that I think the Lakers would beat those teams when healthy.

I would base my opinion on the only evidence we have, that being the games that were played. The Lakers went 17-4 against the C's/Cavs/Nuggets/Rockets when both teams were healthy this year. So from that I think the Lakers would have a good shot at being successful against those teams.

The other side just ignores those games and says " LOL regular season doesn't matter" or " w/e my team just didn't play well that night". They make excuses, ignore the information at hand, and just decide that their team will win because they say so.

But sure, I'm the one speculating.

jmill
06-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Also, you don't have to think LA would beat those teams, that's not what annoys me, I'm not even sure myself how they would have done in the finals against Boston, aside from being confident it'd be a very competitive and different series.

But when people say things like weakest championship team ever or "OMG C's hands down" because of injuries to certain teams it looks pretty foolish, especially once you take into consideration that the Lakers did very well against those teams when they were healthy this year.

flipogb
06-20-2009, 05:57 PM
has there ever been a season where no playoff team has an important player injured ? , im sure there hasn't so the injury excuses are pointless

soadrules
06-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Also, you don't have to think LA would beat those teams, that's not what annoys me, I'm not even sure myself how they would have done in the finals against Boston, aside from being confident it'd be a very competitive and different series.

But when people say things like weakest championship team ever or "OMG C's hands down" because of injuries to certain teams it looks pretty foolish, especially once you take into consideration that the Lakers did very well against those teams when they were healthy this year.

Yeah, that's true. They aren't a bad team at all. They ravaged almost every single team in the league even when they were injured. Injury is part of basketball. It's not like it's a 'new addition' to the league this year, or in the past decade. Many many championship teams have gone through teams that had injured stars...that's just what happens and you have to move on.

Mrofir
06-20-2009, 06:18 PM
I am not sayin 95 Rockets>09 Lakers in my argument but I am saying the series can go either way because Rockets were a really unpredictable team. I would easily rank this yrs lakers over the 06 Heat, 03 Spurs , 94 Rockers, and the 79 Sonics.

I think this Lakers team ranks above the 06 Heat easily, which would make my answer to the OP no.. I also think the Lakers post-ring are a better team than they were prior to winning it all. I think if the playoffs started again today, the Lakers would run through with better results because of the experience and psychological edge. They were a mentally fragile team before they figured it out against Orlando and turned the corner. I always thought if a team with less talent got in LA's heads they could turn the series and pull an upset, and the Rockets almost did it, but they were just too far behind in the talent dept.

chitown, I'm interested in how you explain that 03 Spurs pick. I can easily argue that the 03 Lakers were better than this year's version, and they lost to the 03 Spurs. Hm.

And stop hating on the Rockets. It's too bad we didn't get a chance to see Jordan duel it out with those Rockets teams, because that could have been interesting. Those Rockets teams beat stacked Phoenix teams both years, and Hakeem was perhaps the best center of all time for those 2 years.

Lakers have a decent chance of repeating next year, and I think this championship team could compete well with most other winning teams. At best they are about an average champion, and at worst they might be in the 20-25th percentile among champions, but I don't think they are at all in the mix for weakest champion ever. The 06 Heat own that title in my book.

kobesabi
06-20-2009, 06:24 PM
They been called softies but who cares, they got the job done instead of gone fishing. They got the ring. That's all it matter.

chitownsfinest
06-20-2009, 06:30 PM
I think this Lakers team ranks above the 06 Heat easily, which would make my answer to the OP no.. I also think the Lakers post-ring are a better team than they were prior to winning it all. I think if the playoffs started again today, the Lakers would run through with better results because of the experience and psychological edge. They were a mentally fragile team before they figured it out against Orlando and turned the corner. I always thought if a team with less talent got in LA's heads they could turn the series and pull an upset, and the Rockets almost did it, but they were just too far behind in the talent dept.

chitown, I'm interested in how you explain that 03 Spurs pick. I can easily argue that the 03 Lakers were better than this year's version, and they lost to the 03 Spurs. Hm.

And stop hating on the Rockets. It's too bad we didn't get a chance to see Jordan duel it out with those Rockets teams, because that could have been interesting. Those Rockets teams beat stacked Phoenix teams both years, and Hakeem was perhaps the best center of all time for those 2 years.

Lakers have a decent chance of repeating next year, and I think this championship team could compete well with most other winning teams. At best they are about an average champion, and at worst they might be in the 20-25th percentile among champions, but I don't think they are at all in the mix for weakest champion ever. The 06 Heat own that title in my book.
03 Spurs was Tim Duncan and a collection of wash ups and inexperienced players. Tony Parker was still raw, Robinson was in his last season and playing a limited role, Ginobili was a rookie and still learning, Bowen was at his best defensively, and Stepehen Jackson was young and limited offensively. Compare that to Kobe Bryant in his peak, Pau Gasol playing at an all star level, Lamar Odom better then Stephen Jackson at that point and better then any player on that Spurs team not named Duncan, Trevor Ariza shooting lights out, and Andruw Bynum and this Lakers team is better then that 03 Spurs team. Kobe destroyed Bowen in last season's playofs and would have no problem against that version's Bowen either. Laker have the front court advantage as well. The 03 Lakers are not better then this yrs Lakers team as Shaq was out of shape that season and not playing well compared to his standards, Kobe was too much of a ball hog, and the role players they had were not as productive as they once were. The 00-02 Lakers teams were better but the 03 Lakers team was running on fumes.

ProfessorMurder
06-20-2009, 06:31 PM
But sure, I'm the one speculating.

You're implying that you think they will win against anyone. They may, and they did this year.

You're putting these same facts around a few threads that clearly favor the Lakers, but you aren't confidently saying it. Whoever doesn't like the stats, you can say "I didn't say they will win." or "Look at the facts of what happened."

You've been trying to post those facts, but act like you aren't pulling for a certain team.

That's all I'm saying. It's just the way you went about it haha.

The Lakers did win, that's that.

jmill
06-20-2009, 06:34 PM
You're implying that you think they will win against anyone. They may, and they did this year.

You're putting these same facts around a few threads that clearly favor the Lakers, but you aren't confidently saying it. Whoever doesn't like the stats, you can say "I didn't say they will win." or "Look at the facts of what happened."

You've been trying to post those facts, but act like you aren't pulling for a certain team.

That's all I'm saying. It's just the way you went about it haha.

The Lakers did win, that's that.

Well in my defense, in this particular thread I just considered this OP a troll post so I responded accordingly with those same stats and a "yawn" : )

monkeypox
06-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Wow so it's even more impressive now right? That Kobe lead one of the weakest finals teams in history to a championship!

monkeypox
06-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Come to think of it, last years lakers were even weaker than this year. So The Celtics, after already struggling through one of the historically weakest conferences ever, faced the weakest finals competitor ever. Wow, sucks for the Celtics.

ChrisKreager
06-20-2009, 08:44 PM
The thread starter is an idiot.

Eldrunko247
06-20-2009, 08:46 PM
06' Miami Heat

oh the horror
06-20-2009, 08:47 PM
So after a week of composing themselves, and drying up their tears...people like this now are attempting to rationalize WHY the Lakers are the champs, even though they hate them so?

Keep trying.

cotdt
06-20-2009, 09:24 PM
06' Miami Heat

agreed. watching them play, i'm not sure how they won that championship

kobesabi
06-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Wait the minute, if Lakers won and get label as the weakest champion (by you), what does that make the rest of the other "LOSING" team that lost to the "weakest champion in NBA history" (that you were trying to implicate something)? Super weakest in NBA history? :lol

DonDadda59
06-20-2009, 09:34 PM
agreed. watching them play, i'm not sure how they won that championship

The Heat had the best C and SG in the league. Solid role players in Alonzo Mourning, Gary Payton, James Posey, Jason Williams, Antoine Walker, Udonis Haslem and one of the greatest coaches ever.

FAR from the weakest team ever. Look to the '03 Spurs (the 2 Ds- Duncan and defense got them the championship), '94 Rockets, '75 Warriors.

cotdt
06-20-2009, 09:42 PM
The Heat had the best C and SG in the league. Solid role players in Alonzo Mourning, Gary Payton, James Posey, Jason Williams, Antoine Walker, Udonis Haslem and one of the greatest coaches ever.

Agreed that Wade and Shaq were the only ones doing much, because those veterans did not contribute much. But Wade was not the best SG in the league (Kobe was and still is), and Shaq was a shadow of his former self. Yao was better by that time.

Bodhi
06-20-2009, 11:20 PM
So after a week of composing themselves, and drying up their tears...people like this now are attempting to rationalize WHY the Lakers are the champs, even though they hate them so?

Keep trying.

The five stages of grief:
1. Denial . 2. Anger. 3. Bargaining. 4. Depression. 5. Acceptance

1. The Lakers didn't win, Orlando lost with their epic choke job in game 4.
2. Kobe sucks!
3. Okay, Lakers are champs, but they are the weakest champs in the history of the NBA.
4. ???
5. ???

97 bulls
06-20-2009, 11:32 PM
The five stages of grief:
1. Denial . 2. Anger. 3. Bargaining. 4. Depression. 5. Acceptance

1. The Lakers didn't win, Orlando lost with their epic choke job in game 4.
2. Kobe sucks!
3. Okay, Lakers are champs, but they are the weakest champs in the history of the NBA.
4. ???
5. ???
funny

superduper
08-02-2019, 10:14 AM
http://nbahoopsonline.com/teams/LosAngelesLakers/History/Championships/09lakers.jpeg

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Manny98
08-02-2019, 07:01 PM
http://nbahoopsonline.com/teams/LosAngelesLakers/History/Championships/09lakers.jpeg

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Gasol led that team in win shares so he was the best player

superduper
08-02-2019, 07:07 PM
Gasol led that team in win shares so he was the best player

Thanks for admitting Kobe was more dominant than the MDE during one of (if not THE) most dominant playoff runs of all time.

Always knew you were a Kobe stan deep down :cheers:

SouBeachTalents
08-02-2019, 07:12 PM
Thanks for admitting Kobe was more dominant than the MDE during one of (if not THE) most dominant playoff runs of all time.

Or Drexler having more WS than Hakeem during his GOAT like playoff run in '95 :lol

Manny98
08-02-2019, 07:13 PM

Kobe was the best Laker in the 01 playoffs i have no issue admitting that :applause:

JBSptfn
08-06-2019, 05:52 PM
The 09 Lakers aren't the weakest. The 00-02 Lakers were. They just had Shaq, Kobe, and a collection of stiffs.

RRR3
08-06-2019, 06:17 PM
The 09 Lakers aren't the weakest. The 00-02 Lakers were. They just had Shaq, Kobe, and a collection of stiffs.
Glen Rice was a stiff? Yeah only one year but still.

Also wasn’t Horry a great role player?

SouBeachTalents
08-06-2019, 06:36 PM
'01 Lakers the weakest champs :oldlol:

PickernRoller
08-06-2019, 11:25 PM
The man is retired yet the insects just can't let it go.

Goes to show what a decade of domination does to the league's other player fans. When you win 5, in a 10 year stretch and contest for 7 of those you're bound to have a salt truck load of haters.

With Bran, almost all other player fans have had at some point in time moments of release since he's failed in the Finals so many times, gifting FMVPs left and right. Thus it's easy to come to terms with a loser like Bran. With guys like Kobe and Jordan, they eat and internalize all the hate - not healthy.

Poor souls.

Celtics 1825
08-06-2019, 11:32 PM
First of all a team that 3 peats automatically can't be weak. Second, you're telling me that the 01 Lakers who went 15-1 in the playoffs were weak?? Gtfo.

JBSptfn
08-07-2019, 07:37 PM
First of all a team that 3 peats automatically can't be weak. Second, you're telling me that the 01 Lakers who went 15-1 in the playoffs were weak?? Gtfo.

Let's see who the 01 Lakers beat:

Round 1: They swept a Blazer team that was fading, and was a shell of what it had been in 99, 00, and most of the 00-01 season. Blazer GM Bob Whitsitt should have been fired after that series, and they should have started to dismantle that team (as much as the cap would allow them).

Round 2: They beat the Kings pre-Bibby.

WCF: The Spurs didn't have key contributor Derek Anderson, and I think that the Admiral was banged-up during that series as well.

NBA Finals: The 2001 Sixers are one of the weakest Finals participants ever.

Those three titles should have asterisks next to them (just like Chicago's six titles in the 90's). They were NBC and referee-assisted.

NBAGOAT
08-07-2019, 07:40 PM

Round 1: They swept a Blazer team that was fading, and was a shell of what it had been in 99, 00, and most of the 00-01 season. Blazer GM Bob Whitsitt should have been fired after that series, and they should have started to dismantle that team (as much as the cap would allow them).

WCF: The Spurs didn't have key contributor Derek Anderson, and I think that the Admiral was banged-up during that series as well.

Those three titles should have asterisks next to them (just like Chicago's six titles in the 90's). They were NBC and referee-assisted.

:facepalm. A weaker road in 01 doesnt change that they faced strong teams in por and sac in 00 and 02. Just lol at the Bulls stuff

SouBeachTalents
08-07-2019, 07:47 PM

This is the same dude who also said Tom Brady was the most overrated player in NFL history :oldlol: So his terrible analysis isn't confined to just one sport

sportjames23
08-08-2019, 01:36 AM

LOL this incel just exposed himself. :oldlol:

Mr Feeny
08-08-2019, 01:48 AM

I agree. The 200 lakers faced weak competition, but who did the 2009 lakers face? The thuggets? Orlando? These weren't exactly juggernaut, either.

EllEffEll
08-08-2019, 02:40 AM
After getting curb-stomped and thoroughly embarrassed by the 2008 Celtics in the Finals, I think the Lakers had a major case of red-ass in 2009 that fueled them for that season and the next.

I wouldn't call them the weakest champs in history, but they probably did overachieve a little given the team they had (not that I feel Orlando was a better team though).

If I engaged in the coulda-woulda-shoulda perspective, then half the championships would have asterisks next to them, so I don't. Injuries are part of the game, and I prefer to go ahead and give credit to the victors for staying healthy and winning when it counts most.

GimmeThat
08-08-2019, 03:17 AM
well Pop did win one after 2009, so no

by the way Eagle eye is just an ability to be in the eye of a hurricane and recognize the movement of it based off the inner wall

BigKobeFan
08-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Cant believe kobe won a chip with this team

FKAri
08-08-2019, 11:55 AM
Cant believe kobe won a chip with this team
It was a gift from Stern who felt bad that Kobe only had a single fluke ring as the man in 2008. Later on Kobe got greedy and Stern reminded Kobe who the boss was for basketball reasons.

JBSptfn
08-08-2019, 01:43 PM
LOL this incel just exposed himself. :oldlol:

Don't have a legit response, huh? Name calling is for people who don't know what they are talking about.

JBSptfn
08-08-2019, 01:44 PM
I agree. The 200 lakers faced weak competition, but who did the 2009 lakers face? The thuggets? Orlando? These weren't exactly juggernaut, either.

What about Houston? They had a good team (the Lakers were given that series by the refs).

superduper
08-08-2019, 01:46 PM
What about Houston? They had a good team (the Lakers were given that series by the refs).

Kobe absolutely shat on prime Artest and prime Battier one after the other over and over again while they desperately tried to guard Kobe with their DPOY level talents.

Shit on them so hard in fact that it forced Artest to corner a naked and vulnerable Kobe in the shower and beg Kobe to allow himself to be carried to a ring.

GOATbe :bowdown:

Mr Feeny
08-08-2019, 01:48 PM

Good team but nowhere near a great team in my opinion and the only reason it was close was Kobe's subpar play.

Mr Feeny
08-08-2019, 01:50 PM
Kobe absolutely shat on prime Artest and prime Battier one after the other over and over again while they desperately tried to guard Kobe with their DPOY level talents.

Shit on them so hard in fact that it forced Artest to corner a naked and vulnerable Kobe in the shower and beg Kobe to allow himself to be carried to a ring.

GOATbe :bowdown:

Kobe - guarded by an over the hill Artest - shot 4-12 in game 7 and was carried by Gasol who led the team in points and rebounds and came up biggest when it matters.

You hero, on the other hand, repeated his bed-wetting routine in the the next game 7 they played.

superduper
08-08-2019, 01:52 PM
Kobe - guarded by an over the hill Artest - shot 4-12 in game 7 and was carried by Gasol who led the team in points and rebounds and came up biggest when it matters.

You hero, on the other hand, repeated his bed-wetting routine in the the next game 7 they played.

So we agree Kobe's version of Artest was trash.

Fantastic :cheers:

Mr Feeny
08-08-2019, 02:53 PM
So we agree Kobe's version of Artest was trash.

Fantastic :cheers:

No, we agree that Gasol carried Kobe in game 7, as usual.

superduper
08-08-2019, 02:56 PM
No, we agree that Gasol carried Kobe in game 7, as usual.

Why did Gasol not carry in the first round when Dwight and Nash were his 2nd and 3rd options? How many games did Gasol carry then?

Interested in your response here.

Mr Feeny
08-08-2019, 02:57 PM
Why did Gasol not carry in the first round when Dwight and Nash were his 2nd and 3rd options? How many games did Gasol carry then?

Interested in your response here.

A 41 year old Nash?:lol
Are you just naturally stupid or do you make an effort to be one?

ImKobe
08-08-2019, 03:36 PM

Gasol carried Kobe huh, then why did Rondo say this

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/9/23/17877108/rajon-rondo-pissed-lakers-kobe-bryant-beat-celtics-2010-nba-finals-game-seven-strategy

rondo: It’s interesting, I just found out something about Kobe, what he did in the 2010 championship Game 7. How he broke the game down and figured out how to beat us. I can’t give you the insight on that, but I just found that out. Like, maybe 45 minutes ago. It kinda pissed me off a little bit. It’s part of it, but it’s craziness. It’s amazing how he thinks the game, and it’s fun to know that.

MT: Wait, wait … so in Game 7, Kobe figure something out during the game that helped the Lakers beat the Celtics for a championship, or did he do it between Game 6 and Game 7?

Rondo: I don’t know if it was going into the game, but it was told to me that he had to figure it out during the game. He wasn’t himself. So he had to figure out a different way to win the game.

superduper
08-08-2019, 03:42 PM
A 41 year old Nash?:lol
Are you just naturally stupid or do you make an effort to be one?

Oh so NOW he's 41 but not when Kobe's being attacked about it, interesting interesting.

Also, are Pau and Dwight not enough to win a single playoff game in the first round given that Pau is a proven 2x FMVP winner and undisputedly carried 2 chips?

Why couldn't he win a single game in round 1 in his entire career let alone with Dwight as his 2nd option?

Get back to me with more personal insults cause I know you ain't got anything here.

superduper
08-08-2019, 03:45 PM

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/9/23/17877108/rajon-rondo-pissed-lakers-kobe-bryant-beat-celtics-2010-nba-finals-game-seven-strategy

Bro don't you get it by now?

When you present these morons with the facts being spoken by the opposing HOF point guard who was on the same floor in the same game playing against Kobe who has absolutely zero reason to be nice to Kobe these idiots are just going to respond with "6/24!!".

Basketballreference knows more than the opposing HOF point guard who was on the same floor in the same game playing against Kobe who has absolutely zero reason to be nice to Kobe. FG% is the only indicator of impact. That's why Deandre Jordan is the GOAT.

Mr Feeny
08-08-2019, 04:17 PM

He heck do I care about what Rondo says?:oldlol:

Going 4-12 and then 6-24 in game 7's is choking, any way you put it.
Gasol carried your choker of an idol both times.

Mr Feeny
08-08-2019, 04:19 PM
Oh so NOW he's 41 but not when Kobe's being attacked about it, interesting interesting.

Also, are Pau and Dwight not enough to win a single playoff game in the first round given that Pau is a proven 2x FMVP winner and undisputedly carried 2 chips?

Why couldn't he win a single game in round 1 in his entire career let alone with Dwight as his 2nd option?

Get back to me with more personal insults cause I know you ain't got anything here.

No idea what you're crying out. Kobe couldnt win a playoff series with the same Nash and was en route to missing the playoffs before Gasol carried that lakers team to back to back wins including one against the Spurs, to close out the season.

Not that any of that has any relevance to what Gasol did in 2009 and 2010. Different seasons altogether. And that's the discussion
While your hero went 4-12 and wet the bed, Gasol came up big and carried him. As usual.

ImKobe
08-08-2019, 04:35 PM
No idea what you're crying out. Kobe couldnt win a playoff series with the same Nash and was en route to missing the playoffs before Gasol carried that lakers team to back to back wins including one against the Spurs, to close out the season.

Not that any of that has any relevance to what Gasol did in 2009 and 2010. Different seasons altogether. And that's the discussion
While your hero went 4-12 and wet the bed, Gasol came up big and carried him. As usual.

"wet the bed"

we were up double-digits in the first quarter and ran away with the game, Gasol played 7 more minutes than Kobe, that's 7 extra garbage time minutes to pad his stats while Kobe sat almost all of the 4th. Gasol scored 8 of his 21 points in the 4th quarter when the Lakers were up 20+ points.

Game 7 was a team effort, Kobe scored the first points and assisted on 3 other baskets and we were up 17 - 4 already by then before Gasol scored a point, it was a defensive masterpiece and Kobe obviously had the best DRTG on the team, Gasol's offensive rating was actually the worst among starters, even with his garbage time points.

We were so much better than the Rockets that no one needed to take over the game. Kobe missed some shots within the flow of the offense but that was when we were in a comfortable position, it was our game from start to finish so it's a very poor attempt at trolling on your part.

EllEffEll
08-10-2019, 02:48 PM

The first half of that game (game 7 of the 2010 finals), the Lakers could not have played worse. They were getting clobbered. In the 2nd half, it appeared to me that Kobe realized he wasn't likely to chuck himself out of his slump and get the W too, so he did change up his game as the 2nd half progressed. He got his teammates more involved and was playing more of an all-around game. Whether or not he did it purposely I don't know, but I felt it was the key to them being able to claw their way back. That was not Kobe's usual MO.

stalkerforlife
08-10-2019, 03:07 PM

Got em.

Mr Feeny
08-11-2019, 03:43 AM
"wet the bed"

we were up double-digits in the first quarter and ran away with the game, Gasol played 7 more minutes than Kobe, that's 7 extra garbage time minutes to pad his stats while Kobe sat almost all of the 4th. Gasol scored 8 of his 21 points in the 4th quarter when the Lakers were up 20+ points.

Game 7 was a team effort, Kobe scored the first points and assisted on 3 other baskets and we were up 17 - 4 already by then before Gasol scored a point, it was a defensive masterpiece and Kobe obviously had the best DRTG on the team, Gasol's offensive rating was actually the worst among starters, even with his garbage time points.

We were so much better than the Rockets that no one needed to take over the game. Kobe missed some shots within the flow of the offense but that was when we were in a comfortable position, it was our game from start to finish so it's a very poor attempt at trolling on your part.

Team effort:oldlol:
Your boy shot 4-12 as he choked and yet another game 7 and had his teammates carry him; as usual. I love how it's all of a sudden a "team effort":lol