PDA

View Full Version : How much potential does Courtney Lee have?

RocketGreatness
06-27-2009, 11:07 PM
It's quite obvious that the Nets gave up Ryan Anderson and Vince Carter for a reason and from what I see it's because of Courtney Lee. So how much potential do you think the kid has?

I think he's a pretty good player and has a chance to be an all-star caliber player. Extremely explosive, decent shooter, a great a slasher and an underrated defender.

Courtney Lee and Devin Harris will be a sick backcourt. Hopefully Lee won't choke that much. :pimp:

bagelred
06-27-2009, 11:10 PM
It's quite obvious that the Nets gave up Ryan Anderson and Vince Carter for a reason and from what I see it's because of Courtney Lee. So how much potential do you think the kid has?

They gave up VC because of cap space. That's the main reason. Getting a young talent like Lee is simply a bonus. Don't be deluded into thinking he's the main reason.

The conservation went like this

"We'll give you VC for expirers but you have to include Lee in the deal".

"We'll only add Lee if you give us Anderson."

"Done."

D-Rose
06-27-2009, 11:11 PM

I think he's a pretty good player and has a chance to be an all-star caliber player. Extremely explosive, decent shooter, a great a slasher and an underrated defender.

Courtney Lee and Devin Harris will be a sick backcourt. Hopefully Lee won't choke that much. :pimp:
Not really, it was more of a financial move because the organization is going on broke.

He's a nice young talent, don't see him as an all-star anytime soon.

Nice young player Nets got but they gave up a decent young guy in Anderson as well.

Poor man's Kevin Martin on offense. Ceiling being Raja Bell as an overall player.

BIG FURB
06-27-2009, 11:11 PM
At best he's Cuttino Mobley

brandonislegend
06-27-2009, 11:17 PM
he kind of reminds me of brandon roy without passing ability the way he moves

RocketGreatness
06-27-2009, 11:17 PM
They gave up VC because of cap space. That's the main reason. Getting a young talent like Lee is simply a bonus. Don't be deluded into thinking he's the main reason.

The conservation went like this

"We'll give you VC for expirers but you have to include Lee in the deal".

"We'll only add Lee if you give us Anderson."

"Done."
Makes sense, Courtney Lee certainly has more potential than Ryan Anderson though, not that Anderson is a scrub, It's just that Lee is a lot better at creating for himself and his teammates. Better offensive player to make it simple. This is a good way for the Nets to get inside the 2010 sweepstakes. Vince Carter is almost at the twilight of his career, it was time to let him go maybe he'll get motivated again. Who knows? :confusedshrug:

bagelred
06-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Lee is better than Anderson, no doubt. But Anderson is a shooter. He'll fit right in with the rest of 3 point shooters on that team.

gasolina
06-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Only knock against Lee is that his game demands a much larger body. Hopefully he could bulk up.

How does brandon roy do it anyway?

wang4three
06-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Lee is better than Anderson, no doubt. But Anderson is a shooter. He'll fit right in with the rest of 3 point shooters on that team.

He's an underrated offensive rebounder as well.

OneMoreSucka
06-27-2009, 11:36 PM
Only knock against Lee is that his game demands a much larger body. Hopefully he could bulk up.

How does brandon roy do it anyway?
Roy is a lot bigger than Lee

Nets fan 93
06-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Makes sense, Courtney Lee certainly has more potential than Ryan Anderson though, not that Anderson is a scrub, It's just that Lee is a lot better at creating for himself and his teammates. Better offensive player to make it simple. This is a good way for the Nets to get inside the 2010 sweepstakes. Vince Carter is almost at the twilight of his career, it was time to let him go maybe he'll get motivated again. Who knows? :confusedshrug:
VC has been motivated.

As for Lee.. the sky is the limit. He is a very good shooter and also a pretty nice slasher...I need to watch him a little bit more for a comparison, but I like what I have seen on youtube.

As for Anderson he needs to be consistent. one game he will have a nice 20-6 game then the next game he will have a 7-1 game...

RocketGreatness
06-28-2009, 01:21 AM
He's going to be Rashard Lewis except a legit power forward from what I see. He's obviously not going to be close to the shooter Rashard Lewis is, but Ryan Anderson spreads the floor a lot. This is the time they put Shard back at the SF and get rid of Hedo and this time get a REAL power forward who happens to shoot 3's.

It will help the Magic immensely, but Nets have a great future ahead of them in terms of talent and in terms of salary.

KINGofTHEcourt
06-28-2009, 01:26 AM
It's quite obvious that the Nets gave up Ryan Anderson and Vince Carter for a reason

http://www.nba.com/media/act_tony_battie.jpg

Such a beast, i'm mad jealous.

Courtney should just go to the wnba. they won't know he's a dude looking at his birth certificate. besides he can't rebound or pass for shyyytt

oballers4life
06-28-2009, 01:27 AM
-Strong
-Poised
-Explosive
-Young
-Atheltic
-Great Shooter
-Smart

I see him as a potential Rip Hamilton and at worst a more athletic Raja Bell

Dr. Dunk
06-28-2009, 01:34 AM
I think he was a lot of potential, he was all the attributes of a future star.

Snoop_Cat
06-28-2009, 01:39 AM
Very good starter, but highly unlikely to be an All-Star player
is the ceiling I expect more or less

Big One
06-28-2009, 01:45 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_tony_battie.jpg

Such a beast, i'm mad jealous.

Courtney should just go to the wnba. they won't know he's a dude looking at his birth certificate. besides he can't rebound or pass for shyyytt

who would want to do that in the first place? im glad lee doesnt do that... or else hed jus be plain nasty

Power_Ballin
06-28-2009, 01:54 AM
lol, Lee is actually a pretty good rebounder.

BigTicket
06-28-2009, 01:57 AM
People talk about Lebron going to the Knicks, but really its the Nets that concern me the most. In 2010 they will be way below the salary cap, and have a young core of Devin Harris, Brook Lopez, Courtney Lee etc. They will be getting ready to move to Brooklyn to a brand new stadium, they have the chinese teammate Lebron probably wants for business reasons, they're partly owned by Jay-Z etc. If this experiment of ours with Shaq doesn't work out what's to stop Lebron from going there ?

RocketGreatness
06-28-2009, 02:29 AM
-Strong
-Poised
-Explosive
-Young
-Atheltic
-Great Shooter
-Smart

I see him as a potential Rip Hamilton and at worst a more athletic Raja Bell
I don't know about smart but he is a pretty tough guy and he doesn't get startled by any player. I remember he went at LeBron James frequently in the ECF. However, He did tend to fade against Kobe Bryant in the Finals. But he does have a lot of positives and they tend to outweigh the negatives.

fefe
06-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Listed at 6'5 but really only 6'2 in shoes.
Good IQ, good shooter, good defender, good slasher, very atletic.

But he is tremendously undersized.
His 6'5 listed height is a joke. He is same height as Rafer Alston. No long arms either..
He was listed at 6'5 in college, and i'm sure he skipped the pre-draft measurements for a good reason...
http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Philadelphia+76ers+v+Orlando+Magic+Game+1+MMKprIjY p4Kl.jpg
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0222/nba_g_alston_lee_576.jpg

oballers4life
06-28-2009, 02:57 AM
6'2"

Ha!

fefe
06-28-2009, 03:10 AM
6'2"

Ha!
Maybe 6'3, but not more :)

bdreason
06-28-2009, 03:42 AM
He'll make some All-Defense Teams and maybe some All-Star games. Solid starting shooting gaurd for years to come.

Lebron23
06-28-2009, 03:57 AM
Maybe 6'3, but not more :)

He's actually 6'3.25".

fefe
06-28-2009, 04:23 AM
He's actually 6'3.25".
source?
is that barefoot height or in shoes?
draftexpress doesn't have it..

Lebron23
06-28-2009, 04:40 AM
source?
is that barefoot height or in shoes?
draftexpress doesn't have it..

Without Shoes

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jun/26/sports/sp-mockchart26

fefe
06-28-2009, 04:54 AM
Without Shoes

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jun/26/sports/sp-mockchart26
does not seem reliable..

dirkdiggler41
06-28-2009, 05:09 AM
I see a lot of you guys talk about potenial. I dont understand how Lee can have more potenial then Ryan Anderson, considering that Lee is 3 years older then Anderson. That is why he was able to start this season and also get the minutes he got. He looks very confident and does not do a lot of mistakes, but you have to understand that he is much more experinced. He is actully older then Dwight Howard

RobertSwift31
06-28-2009, 07:16 AM
I see a lot of rip hamilton in him

oballers4life
06-28-2009, 07:19 AM
I see a lot of rip hamilton in him

Thank You!

BingBongBrother
06-28-2009, 07:36 AM
He has the potential to hit a layup... just not yet.

indiefan23
06-28-2009, 09:58 AM

When has Courtney Lee ever been a choker? Dude has been solid his whole career.

visirale
06-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Like most rookies on teams that make it to the finals, Courtney Lee has been severely OV-ER-RATED!

23ajay
06-28-2009, 10:05 AM
i think at best courtney lee will be the next jason richardson

Nets fan 93
06-28-2009, 10:11 AM
I see a lot of you guys talk about potenial. I dont understand how Lee can have more potenial then Ryan Anderson, considering that Lee is 3 years older then Anderson. That is why he was able to start this season and also get the minutes he got. He looks very confident and does not do a lot of mistakes, but you have to understand that he is much more experinced. He is actully older then Dwight Howard
It doesnt matter what age you are... 23 is still young in the NBA...he isnt even close to his prime... I have seen Anderson, He is very inconsistent and is VERY soft.

Power_Ballin
06-28-2009, 12:51 PM
The plus about him playing in NJ is that he will have more freedom. He played a very disciplined role in ORL, so it will be interesting to see how he does on younger team where he will be able to take more chances and really push his game to the max.

rknine15
06-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Better offensively and althete to Bowen/Raja.

In the post season he really played great D. He even did a good job on Kobe, but Kobe was inhuman/in the zone.

depletedW
06-28-2009, 01:19 PM

+1

Sriracha
06-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Like most rookies on teams that make it to the finals, Courtney Lee has been severely OV-ER-RATED!

Yup. He benefited from playing with a bunch of good players.

ihatetimthomas
06-28-2009, 02:29 PM
He will be a solid role player for years to come. A bit undersized, which give him problems against bigger 2's, as we saw in the finals. He is quick, fearless and very athletic. I like his game. He can be a nice defender. He likes to take it to the rim, which is a plus anytime. I think he will be better than what people think, but he wont be a super star or anything. I dont even know if he would make an all-star team but he would make some all nba defensive team in the future. I also like how he finishes strong

lil baller
06-28-2009, 03:46 PM
He has the potential to hit a layup... just not yet.
dude lol tht is just cold

Clifton
06-28-2009, 06:33 PM
I guess I'm confused. Is the irony going right over my head or do you guys actually think Courtney Lee has "potential?"

Courtney Lee has the potential to be a mediocre NBA player, just like he is right now. He's a rotation player at best, and not a rotation player that people seek out, like they do a Craig Smith or a James Posey or a Joel Przybilla. Just a mediocre player who takes up space and nobody's embarrassed to have playing maybe 15 minutes a game as a fouth guard or something.

You see Rip Hamilton in him because he's skinny and has good fundamentals for his position. But he's not Rip Hamilton; Rip Hamilton has been scoring 20 points a game rain or shine regardless of the opponent and regardless of the situation for almost a decade. When Courtney Lee hits an open jumpshot your eyebrows arch. When Rip Hamilton hits an open jumpshot you yawn and maybe change the channel. These are not even close to equal.

Courtney has a lot of likeable things about him, but look. Not every young guy who shows something here and there is destined to be an allstar.

What Courtney Lee should do is watch Raja Bell and Rip Hamilton tape 5 hours a day this summer, and aim for the effectiveness of the former in the style of the latter. That's his ceiling, and it's not a bad ceiling. And the reason it's his ceiling is that all he can really do at the NBA level is shoot open shots and try hard on defense. You love to have those guys, but there are ones who are taller.

Nets fan 93
06-28-2009, 06:36 PM
The plus about him playing in NJ is that he will have more freedom. He played a very disciplined role in ORL, so it will be interesting to see how he does on younger team where he will be able to take more chances and really push his game to the max.
Good point... once Harris earned his freedom from Avery Johnson he became an allstar

This is pathetic.. I see so many negative posts like i used to see about Carter... Now since VC is a magic everyone is praising him, this is not the respect he used to get here. Now since Lee is a Net I am hearing all this negative stuff about him...

Lebron23
12-26-2013, 02:49 AM
Funny Thread. Lee was getting the Kawhi Leonard treatment back in the day. He failed up to live up to his hype. Lee is now an NBA journeyman at age 28.

LMAO at being good as Richardson and Hamilton.

Lebron23
12-26-2013, 02:56 AM
He'll make some All-Defense Teams and maybe some All-Star games. Solid starting shooting gaurd for years to come.

Maybe in his dreams or fantasy.

Lebron23
12-26-2013, 03:01 AM
he kind of reminds me of brandon roy without passing ability the way he moves

http://www.lauryndoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Uh_wtf_gif.gif

CJ Mustard
12-26-2013, 03:06 AM
What a random thread to bump.

Fudge
12-26-2013, 03:38 AM
Wtf, you're sketchy, LeBron23.

Doranku
12-26-2013, 07:58 AM
What a random thread to bump.

Here, I bumped a better one for you.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147107

YouGotServed
12-26-2013, 02:29 PM
I guess I'm confused. Is the irony going right over my head or do you guys actually think Courtney Lee has "potential?"

Courtney Lee has the potential to be a mediocre NBA player, just like he is right now. He's a rotation player at best, and not a rotation player that people seek out, like they do a Craig Smith or a James Posey or a Joel Przybilla. Just a mediocre player who takes up space and nobody's embarrassed to have playing maybe 15 minutes a game as a fouth guard or something.

You see Rip Hamilton in him because he's skinny and has good fundamentals for his position. But he's not Rip Hamilton; Rip Hamilton has been scoring 20 points a game rain or shine regardless of the opponent and regardless of the situation for almost a decade. When Courtney Lee hits an open jumpshot your eyebrows arch. When Rip Hamilton hits an open jumpshot you yawn and maybe change the channel. These are not even close to equal.

Courtney has a lot of likeable things about him, but look. Not every young guy who shows something here and there is destined to be an allstar.

What Courtney Lee should do is watch Raja Bell and Rip Hamilton tape 5 hours a day this summer, and aim for the effectiveness of the former in the style of the latter. That's his ceiling, and it's not a bad ceiling. And the reason it's his ceiling is that all he can really do at the NBA level is shoot open shots and try hard on defense. You love to have those guys, but there are ones who are taller.

In retrospect, spot on post. lol @ the Courtney Lee hype 4 years ago. He was the starting SG for that team Dwight led to the finals, right? People tend to overrate role players in championship contending teams. Dwight led a bunch of 3 pt shooting role players to the finals. :applause: Greatness personified.

b1imtf
12-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Funny Thread. Lee was getting the Kawhi Leonard treatment back in the day. He failed up to live up to his hype. Lee is now an NBA journeyman at age 28.

LMAO at being good as Richardson and Hamilton.
Dajuan Wagner doe