PDA

View Full Version : how much miles do you guys run

lilyi
06-28-2009, 12:23 AM
if yall do that is..

HylianNightmare
06-28-2009, 12:26 AM
are you asking for any particular reason like are you training or something?

but i'm fat and lazy and only squeeze in 3 miles on mon, wed fri and saturdays i'll do 4 to the courts and walk the 4 home

lilyi
06-28-2009, 12:55 AM
just curious becuz i run a lot for basketball

HylianNightmare
06-28-2009, 01:00 AM
well there is a big difference between distance running and basketball running if you are trying to work on that

Brujesino
06-28-2009, 03:57 AM
1.8 miles

i know the exact numebr cuz i mapquested from my house to a restaraunt and thats how far i go

LJJ
06-28-2009, 02:56 PM
About 8 miles.

L3B120N J4M35
06-28-2009, 03:14 PM
about 3 miles

lilyi
06-28-2009, 04:31 PM
About 8 miles.
whats your mile time?

Automajic23
06-29-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't recommend running an excess of 1-2 miles a day, esp if you are trying to train for basketball. Long distance running can impact your fast twitch muscles greatly, because it develops your slow twitch. If you want to be faster/more explosive, you want to develop your fast twitch... if you want to have a lot of endurance, you want slow twitch. Having 50/50 isn't the best either, it makes you well rounded but not great at either, and you cannot train both to the max. I would stick to sprints and short bursts of explosive activity. If you think about it that's all basketball really is; for the most part you are jogging up and down the court, occassionally you are exploding to the rim or sprinting back on defense.

LJJ
06-29-2009, 11:49 AM
whats your mile time?

I don't know. 8 miles takes me just under an hour, taking it easy.

Automajic23
06-29-2009, 11:56 AM
I don't know. 8 miles takes me just under an hour, taking it easy.

So you're trying to say you can run 8 miles straight, at a 1 mile per 7.5 minute clip? That's pretty good

supersmashbros
06-29-2009, 06:04 PM
My conditioning is absolutely terrible. I am completely exhausting from just running a 400 meter lap 4 times (1600 meters in total). On the 4th lap onwards, I'll be mostly walking:lol imo, swimming might help in conditioning because water is denser and hence harder to move through than air right?

phoenix18
06-29-2009, 07:22 PM
I run about 0.0 miles per day. I hate running just to run. If we are playing a game, then I could run all day.

MaxFly
06-29-2009, 07:34 PM
I usually do 4 miles at 8 miles an hour. Great for endurance.

Junny
06-29-2009, 11:23 PM
I run about 0.0 miles per day. I hate running just to run. If we are playing a game, then I could run all day.

Yup. Runnings for bytches. Real men don't run :D

Automajic23
06-30-2009, 08:54 AM

I can see the purpose of running 1-2 miles a day to drop weight, at a fast clip. but to run 8 miles like that guy quoted, that has to be eating away at your fast twitch muscles

Strongboy770
06-30-2009, 09:19 AM
OMG I get this in school all the time. It's "How MANY miles do you run?" and "How MUCH wind will you have when a strong dude (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b332/Diesel67/Basketball/Shaq/ShaqDiesel.jpg) sticks an elbow in your solar plexus driving to the basket?"

Automajic23
06-30-2009, 09:28 AM
OMG I get this in school all the time. It's "How MANY miles do you run?" and "How MUCH wind will you have when a strong dude (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b332/Diesel67/Basketball/Shaq/ShaqDiesel.jpg) sticks an elbow in your solar plexus driving to the basket?"

Thank you for your contribution, it's absolutely useless.

LJJ
06-30-2009, 01:10 PM
I can see the purpose of running 1-2 miles a day to drop weight, at a fast clip. but to run 8 miles like that guy quoted, that has to be eating away at your fast twitch muscles

I don't run 8 miles every day, usually about twice a week for not even an hour.

It's not that far at all. :confusedshrug:

What's the point even if you are going to run 2 miles or less. Your not even gonna get a work out.

Automajic23
06-30-2009, 01:51 PM
I don't run 8 miles every day, usually about twice a week for not even an hour.

It's not that far at all. :confusedshrug:

What's the point even if you are going to run 2 miles or less. Your not even gonna get a work out.

what's the point in running 8 miles? Doesn't benefit you much playing basketball :confusedshrug:

Running 8 miles will obv increase your endurance, but what use is running constant for 8 miles. Basketball is a stop and go game, with a lot of the game moving at a jogs pace. The moments you need to be explosive or sprint down one end of the court doesn't translate via running 8 miles. So if this is for streetball, why run 8 miles? This thread should be moved, it's irrelevant.

FYI running 2 miles is a great warmup/workout for many people. Running 8 miles is excessive and does not help for basketball; please see diminishing returns

LJJ
06-30-2009, 02:07 PM
what's the point in running 8 miles? Doesn't benefit you much playing basketball :confusedshrug:

Running 8 miles will obv increase your endurance, but what use is running constant for 8 miles. Basketball is a stop and go game, with a lot of the game moving at a jogs pace. The moments you need to be explosive or sprint down one end of the court doesn't translate via running 8 miles. So if this is for streetball, why run 8 miles? This thread should be moved, it's irrelevant.

FYI running 2 miles is a great warmup/workout for many people. Running 8 miles is excessive and does not help for basketball; please see diminishing returns
It's only a part of. I do HIIT and strength training as well. Obviously if you only practice endurance it's not going to make you a well rounded enough athlete for basketball.

If you think running for an hour is excessive you need to man up. Being able to run for an hour straight is pretty much the minimum if you want to be a starter on a squad if you ask me. How are you going to last 35 minutes of jogging and sprinting if you can't even do one hour of low intensity exercise?
Endurance comes for 20% out of your legs/muscles and for 80% out of your lungs/heart. Your telling me having higher capacity and more powerful lungs isn't useful playing basketball?

:oldlol:

Automajic23
06-30-2009, 02:19 PM
It's only a part of. I do HIIT and strength training as well. Obviously if you only practice endurance it's not going to make you a well rounded enough athlete for basketball.

If you think running for an hour is excessive you need to man up. Being able to run for an hour straight is pretty much the minimum if you want to be a starter on a squad if you ask me. How are you going to last 35 minutes of jogging and sprinting if you can't even do one hour of low intensity exercise?
Endurance comes for 20% out of your legs/muscles and for 80% out of your lungs/heart. Your telling me having higher capacity and more powerful lungs isn't useful playing basketball?

:oldlol:

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

It's just funny that you waste an hour of time running 8 miles, when you can accomplish the same thing doing 30 minutes of suicides/updowns/sprints, and actually improve your fast twitch muscles at a greater clip. Running for 8 miles IMO is just stupid, when you can get your cardio elsewhere.

Unless you are ill, or recovering for an injury there is no need for a low intensity work out; why bother?

Duh having a higher lung capacity helps for basketball, but with all the running you do your just taking away from your explosive ability. You can't train both fast twitch and slow twitch to the max, it's one or the other. An olympic marathon runner will be a mediocre jumper/sprinter. A sprinter will be a mediocre marathon runner. duh?

This makes me question whether or not YOU PLAY basketball.

Automajic23
06-30-2009, 02:21 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Once again, what he said.

LJJ
06-30-2009, 03:15 PM
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

It's just funny that you waste an hour of time running 8 miles, when you can accomplish the same thing doing 30 minutes of suicides/updowns/sprints, and actually improve your fast twitch muscles at a greater clip. Running for 8 miles IMO is just stupid, when you can get your cardio elsewhere.

Unless you are ill, or recovering for an injury there is no need for a low intensity work out; why bother?

Duh having a higher lung capacity helps for basketball, but with all the running you do your just taking away from your explosive ability. You can't train both fast twitch and slow twitch to the max, it's one or the other. An olympic marathon runner will be a mediocre jumper/sprinter. A sprinter will be a mediocre marathon runner. duh?

This makes me question whether or not YOU PLAY basketball. I'm literally shaking my head at the olympians comparison. What kind of retarded comparison is that? Wow, you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

It's funny because you desperately want to sound like you know your human biology. Went to college for that huh? A doctor perhaps? Physical therapist?
And then you completely invalidate yourself bringing in these comparisons that make no sense at all. No, you don't know what the hell you are talking about, just shut the **** up dude. :oldlol:

8 miles is a very modest distance. It's nothing compared to the marathon, and running 8 miles in an hour is nothing compared to olympic running of any kind.
It's a distance any in shape person can run right off the bat. Just because you can't run 8 miles doesn't mean that being able to is bad for basketball.

I'm a point guard at 6'3, in a league where most point guards are <6 feet and live and die by their quickness.
And at least I am not gassed in the fourth quarter.

Junny
06-30-2009, 07:56 PM
OK according to some website, 8 miles is roughly 13 km (use the metric system bytches). That sounds way too excessive. I would say if you wanted to be a really really REALLY fit basketball player, even 10 km (which would be about 6 miles) is excessive I think. Suicides and interval training sounds like a better idea.

A bit off topic, but say in a 10 minute quarter game, how much distance would a basketball player cover if he played the whole game? I'm pretty sure they did this study for an AFL player for a game, and the answer was something ridiculous, like 20-30 km (12-19 miles) or something along those lines.

Junny
06-30-2009, 08:07 PM

What the hell are you talking about

Automajic23
07-01-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm literally shaking my head at the olympians comparison. What kind of retarded comparison is that? Wow, you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

It's funny because you desperately want to sound like you know your human biology. Went to college for that huh? A doctor perhaps? Physical therapist?
And then you completely invalidate yourself bringing in these comparisons that make no sense at all. No, you don't know what the hell you are talking about, just shut the **** up dude. :oldlol:

8 miles is a very modest distance. It's nothing compared to the marathon, and running 8 miles in an hour is nothing compared to olympic running of any kind.
It's a distance any in shape person can run right off the bat. Just because you can't run 8 miles doesn't mean that being able to is bad for basketball.

I'm a point guard at 6'3, in a league where most point guards are <6 feet and live and die by their quickness.
And at least I am not gassed in the fourth quarter.

Never gassed in the 2nd half, and I don't rest unless it's a scrub team and we're +20. And please gtfo with your made up stories. 6'3 pg? You don't even seem to have a simple IQ based on the fact that you're trying to throw education insults my way via the internet. Stupid IP gangter seriously. SEE YA. :hammerhead:

LJJ
07-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Nothing more with any substance to say huh? Can't counter any of those arguments?

See ya indeed.

And if you can't take it don't dish it, *****.

Automajic23
07-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Nothing more with any substance to say huh? Can't counter any of those arguments?

See ya indeed.

And if you can't take it don't dish it, *****.

Indeed, I don't use a basketball forum to brag about my educational accomplishments. Strictly here to read basketball. Why should I waste time with an internet thug that acts out like a moron for a living? :confusedshrug: Don't you have 8 miles to run? Go on, lmaoooo

LJJ
07-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Running eight miles is not going to destroy your basketball ability.

You don't come in here talking a technical tale about "fast twitch muscles", and then compare running eight miles to the olympics.

You can twist around it like the little contortionist ****** you are, but that is what you did. And it holds no ground whatsoever.

Automajic23
07-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Running eight miles is not going to destroy your basketball ability.

You don't come in here talking a technical tale about "fast twitch muscles", and then compare running eight miles to the olympics.

You can twist around it like the little contortionist ****** you are, but that is what you did. And it holds no ground whatsoever.

Since you appear uneducated, and quite the hot head maybe I can help you learn so you can better prepare yourself for the game of basketball. As a 6'3 guard, and I wish I had your height because I would be much more effective playing in mixed open leagues, you seem to have issues getting smoked by the shorter, quicker guards.

Let's start with this quote:

"To successfully prepare the team for the season, you must investigate and appreciate the conditioning demands of basketball. Does basketball require a great deal of low intensity distance running? Or, is basketball a series of high intensity short sprints that require numerous changes of direction? Remember, a basketball court is only approximately 30 yards in length. Also important to consider is the fact that slower teams usually lose. The focus of the training should be on speed, agility and anaerobic conditioning. "

Automajic23
07-01-2009, 12:47 PM
So if I may once again emphasize that long distance running is not the most potent way to train the cardio aspect of your fitness FOR BASKETBALL.

There is no merit in having endurance on the court for 40 minutes if you're not quick/explosive enough to do anything great in between.

Substituting this over 8 miles of running is better:

Shuttle Sprints with rest:
STAGE 1
120 yards 20 seconds // rest for 50 seconds then repeat (3 sets)
STAGE 2
210 yards 35 seconds // rest for 1.25 minutes then repeat (3 sets)
STAGE 3
300 yards 55 seconds // rest for 2 minutes then repeat (3 sets)

Suicides: These can go cumulatively as your fitness goes up. I would start with 2 consecutives per day for a week, then add 3 consecutive to the next week, then 2 sets of 2 consecutives per day for the next, and so on.

Agility training: Sometimes footwork is more important in getting somewhere fast than just being "fast". Get yourself an agility ladder.

Now mix in this kind of sprinting exercises with some plyometrics and weight training and you should be in good shape.

I also recommend dynamic stretching as opposed to static stretching. If you don't know what I'm talking about I can post more details later.

Don't forget to get in a good warmup before performing these. I usually do some shooting drills, maybe go play a game of pickup ball, or jog 1-2 miles as warmup, followed by 10-15 min of dynamic stretching. Sprints and conditioning usually comes at the end of workouts.

LJJ
07-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Since you appear uneducated, and quite the hot head maybe I can help you learn so you can better prepare yourself for the game of basketball. As a 6'3 guard, and I wish I had your height because I would be much more effective playing in mixed open leagues, you seem to have issues getting smoked by the shorter, quicker guards.

Let's start with this quote:

"To successfully prepare the team for the season, you must investigate and appreciate the conditioning demands of basketball. Does basketball require a great deal of low intensity distance running? Or, is basketball a series of high intensity short sprints that require numerous changes of direction? Remember, a basketball court is only approximately 30 yards in length. Also important to consider is the fact that slower teams usually lose. The focus of the training should be on speed, agility and anaerobic conditioning. "
Never have I posted that running 8 miles is the most effective or efficient way to train for basketball.

The OP asked "how many miles do you run", and I responded.

Not being the most efficient way to train is something completely different than being detriment too though. Doing cardio work is still beneficial for playing basketball.

See, I responded to your post, going into the subject you posted about. Even if the words weren't yours.

Now please respond to me, and elaborate on your Olympic track athletes+fast/slow twitch muscles+running 8 miles theory.

Please? :oldlol:

Automajic23
07-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Never have I posted that running 8 miles is the most effective or efficient way to train for basketball.

The OP asked "how many miles do you run", and I responded.

Not being the most efficient way to train is something completely different than being detriment too though. Doing cardio work is still beneficial for playing basketball.

See, I responded to your post, going into the subject you posted about. Even if the words weren't yours.

Now please respond to me, and elaborate on your Olympic track athletes+fast/slow twitch muscles+running 8 miles theory.

Please? :oldlol:

I guess I forgot you lack the intelligence to take comments with a grain of salt, sorry I forgot I was posting to someone of your stature :roll:
My advice may be of no use for you, as you might not properly grasp the concepts, or grasp them at all, shrug. :violin:

LJJ
07-01-2009, 02:15 PM
You can't even understand simple posts, because none of your replies are relevant to anything posted

Talking about biology and training with your guise of knowledge that's thinner than rice paper. Furthermore evidenced by the fact that everything with insight that you posted was quoted out of an article. Seriously, it's good that you are interested in these things, but you don't need to throw on a little charade on the internet as if you are an expert. :oldlol:

"Uh, you know you can't train fast twitch and slow twitch muscles at the same time, you know, like at the Olympics"
"How is that relevant?"
*crickets*

"I not needs to show that I know what the hell I am talking about. Uh, you have no IQ, uhuh. *makes same joke three times in a row*

Wow. No, that was really clever. :rolleyes:
Child. You humor me. :applause:

Automajic23
07-01-2009, 02:20 PM
You can't even understand simple posts, because none of your replies are relevant to anything posted

Talking about biology and training with your guise of knowledge that's thinner than rice paper. Furthermore evidenced by the fact that everything with insight that you posted was quoted out of an article. Seriously, it's good that you are interested in these things, but you don't need to throw on a little charade on the internet as if you are an expert. :oldlol:

"Uh, you know you can't train fast twitch and slow twitch muscles at the same time, you know, like at the Olympics"
"How is that relevant?"
*crickets*

"I not needs to show that I know what the hell I am talking about. Uh, you have no IQ, uhuh. *makes same joke three times in a row*

Wow. No, that was really clever. :rolleyes:
Child. You humor me. :applause:

Once again you rant about this olympic thing, you still cannot comprehend an anology versus a literal term.

http://inquisitr.com/extra/wp-content/2009/02/asshat.jpg

JellyBean
07-01-2009, 03:07 PM
I only run 2 miles a day.

Zak
07-03-2009, 07:29 PM
ok so i havent learned anything from all these posts in this thread?

i want endurance but i also want to be explosive/jump high for basketball, so i do these sprints and hill sprints and ladders and squats and all those exercises, but once a week i run 2-3 miles, could i run more long distances or will that interfere with fast twitch muscles or whatever helps you be explosive?

lilyi
07-03-2009, 11:48 PM
ok so i havent learned anything from all these posts in this thread?

i want endurance but i also want to be explosive/jump high for basketball, so i do these sprints and hill sprints and ladders and squats and all those exercises, but once a week i run 2-3 miles, could i run more long distances or will that interfere with fast twitch muscles or whatever helps you be explosive?
dawg you;ll still be good, 2 miles aint that long that at all, do the mile fast as u can

Shoo
07-07-2009, 02:10 AM
I don't run miles. Just sprints.