PDA

View Full Version : Jumping VS Not Jumping when shooting

Basketman
06-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Not necessarily NBA related but this is a question I've wondered for a while now.

What is the significance of jumping when shooting? A lot of players I've seen at the park actually don't jump. Does it matter if the player jumps or not?

twolvesfan
06-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Not necessarily NBA related but this is a question I've wondered for a while now.

What is the significance of jumping when shooting? A lot of players I've seen at the park actually don't jump. Does it matter if the player jumps or not?
jumping means less ark needed to get above the rim? idk

Q.E.C
06-29-2009, 08:40 PM

I guess its just how the person feels when he shoots. I have a friend that leans far back and keeps his arms up high when he shoots, but he doesn't jump. He barely misses either.

1~Gibson~1
06-29-2009, 08:44 PM
People tend to shoot better without jumping but usually jump because if they dont then they'd get blocked.

OneMoreSucka
06-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Your legs are where all your power comes from.

Sanity
06-29-2009, 08:52 PM
All I know is Ben Gordon gets high as hell on his shots

OldSchoolBBall
06-29-2009, 09:01 PM
I jump high on pull-ups, but not on set shots (well, I sorta do, but it's a very low jump). My shot/ball fakes given my form (kinda like Larry Bird's) and ability to shoot it w/o jumping give me a good weapon in the triple threat, because I can fake a shot all the way to the point of release and don't have to jump, which gets lots of defenders off their feet or on their heels.

cotdt
06-29-2009, 09:14 PM
even wide open shots NBA players jump. it provides lift.

Sonic R
06-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Your legs are where all your power comes from.

This is it

IamSofaKing
06-29-2009, 09:39 PM
I admit i dont jump as high like Melo when i shoot, i jump as much as Pierce when i shoot... Which is not much :D

bhallic24
06-29-2009, 09:48 PM
I admit i dont jump as high like Melo when i shoot, i jump as much as Pierce when i shoot... Which is not much :D

I gotta admit I'm the same as you. I barely jump but honestly the thing is I don't get blocked either. I jump off the ground maybe 4 inches? 5inches? Sometimes if I'm lazy 1inch?

There are times though when a tall defender around my height or just shorter comes to challenge me and I feel like because I don't jump that high to shoot I causes me to be a little uncomfortable, mainly because they'll be able to tap my fingers right after I release it so its got that "close call" feel to it.

Last summer, I tried to jump up like Ben Gordon or melo or ray allen does and shoot it and it just feels very unnatural. At the height of the jump all the ppower is already gone and I find that I just end up pushing or heaving the ball with my arms and it results in shots that end up flat or slip off my hands.

I think this is a very good question for the ISH community. Curious to see what people think. I still have no idea how guys like ben gordon can jump like 2 feet off the ground and still maintain all that power. Makes me feel like I'm shooting like an old man.

Bodhi
06-29-2009, 10:02 PM
I gotta admit I'm the same as you. I barely jump but honestly the thing is I don't get blocked either. I jump off the ground maybe 4 inches? 5inches? Sometimes if I'm lazy 1inch?

There are times though when a tall defender around my height or just shorter comes to challenge me and I feel like because I don't jump that high to shoot I causes me to be a little uncomfortable, mainly because they'll be able to tap my fingers right after I release it so its got that "close call" feel to it.

Last summer, I tried to jump up like Ben Gordon or melo or ray allen does and shoot it and it just feels very unnatural. At the height of the jump all the ppower is already gone and I find that I just end up pushing or heaving the ball with my arms and it results in shots that end up flat or slip off my hands.

I think this is a very good question for the ISH community. Curious to see what people think. I still have no idea how guys like ben gordon can jump like 2 feet off the ground and still maintain all that power. Makes me feel like I'm shooting like an old man.

I'm sure that NBA players have a lot more upper body strength than you.

bhallic24
06-29-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm sure that NBA players have a lot more upper body strength than you.

true true, i don't doubt that. BG is ripped. like I don't think you can add any more muscle to him without causing him to become unflexible or unagile at this point.

Papaya Petee
06-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Its all about what you feel comfortable with. I can't shoot without jumping or I will airball but I also cant jump too high or I just find myself pushing the shot in mid air. I jump low but it makes my shot feel most comfortable that way.

Basketman
06-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Its all about what you feel comfortable with. I can't shoot without jumping or I will airball but I also cant jump too high or I just find myself pushing the shot in mid air. I jump low but it makes my shot feel most comfortable that way.
Now I got another question: is there a player in the NBA that shoots without jumping?

Papaya Petee
06-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Now I got another question: is there a player in the NBA that shoots without jumping?

Haha good question, pretty positive there is none.

brantonli
06-29-2009, 10:23 PM

I decided to change my jumpshot over the summer, previously I had a set shot, but was never good at it so I actually jumped. At first it was exactly as you've described, I couldn't even shoot outside the paint, but now I find my jumpshot is much purer and I can drain shots freethrow line extended. I think all it takes is practice and of course dedication. If your previous set shot is fine, then you are much less inclined to try jumpshooting.

As for anybody in the NBA, I would've thought it would be primarily big men. I don't think Big Z jumps when he shoots does he?

cotdt
06-29-2009, 10:24 PM

Big Z and Yao.

Papaya Petee
06-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Big Z and Yao.
Yao gets off 1-2 inches

Big Z maybe your right

:cheers:

Basketman
06-29-2009, 10:37 PM
With the exception of a couple, pretty much the whole NBA do jumpshots and not just "shots".

Maybe there's a reason for this. We gotta find out!!!

redhonda76
06-29-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm a midrange jumpshooter. I can hit the 15-20 footer without a problem. However I cannot jumpshoot from the 3 point line, because I don't have the strength to perfect the arc on the shot. Jumpshooting takes lots of practice. Legs are a must and you have to flip that wrist.

imdaman99
06-29-2009, 11:01 PM
I jump high on pull-ups, but not on set shots (well, I sorta do, but it's a very low jump). My shot/ball fakes given my form (kinda like Larry Bird's) and ability to shoot it w/o jumping give me a good weapon in the triple threat, because I can fake a shot all the way to the point of release and don't have to jump, which gets lots of defenders off their feet or on their heels.
Damn this I gotta see. Any chance we may one day get a youtube video of this? You can fuzz out your face lol

bhallic24
06-29-2009, 11:14 PM

of course, brent barry.

Bodin
06-29-2009, 11:31 PM

Andrea Bargnani barely jumps, if at all.

Bodin
06-29-2009, 11:42 PM
I decided to change my jumpshot over the summer, previously I had a set shot, but was never good at it so I actually jumped. At first it was exactly as you've described, I couldn't even shoot outside the paint, but now I find my jumpshot is much purer and I can drain shots freethrow line extended. I think all it takes is practice and of course dedication. If your previous set shot is fine, then you are much less inclined to try jumpshooting.

I think you're right. Jumping when shooting is almost always superior to not jumping. Instead of having your arms do most of the work to get the ball above the rim, your legs do some of the work so you can keep the correct form. I have a really good set shot about 1 foot inside the 3 point line but anything outside of that and my % goes way down. I think if I started jump shooting my 3pt shot would get better.

jason816
06-30-2009, 12:07 AM
i'm confused.

so... if i bent my knees, go up, release the ball, my foot get off the ground just when i release the shot, you consider it a jump-shot or not?
coz i shoot it this way, and i consider myself not jumping.

if this is "jumping", then Brent Barry is shooting jump-shots.
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0229/nba_g_barry1_260.jpg

Basketman
06-30-2009, 12:35 AM
i'm confused.

so... if i bent my knees, go up, release the ball, my foot get off the ground just when i release the shot, you consider it a jump-shot or not?
coz i shoot it this way, and i consider myself not jumping.

if this is "jumping", then Brent Barry is shooting jump-shots.
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0229/nba_g_barry1_260.jpg

I would consider that a jumpshot. My words however does not matter. What about all you other people?

Big Al All day
06-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Andrea Bargnani barely jumps, if at all.
Ive seen LeBron drain a 3 with out jumping at ALL. He just stood and threw it up. It was last playoffs. Can't find a video, but it was crazy.

yobore
06-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Now I got another question: is there a player in the NBA that shoots without jumping?CP often doesn't jump on his shots.

Jeff Teague is one that comes to mind as a good shooter who doesn't jump. I think that will make it difficult for him to shoot in the NBA.

not jumping doesn't mean not using your legs. If jumping were that much better everyone would jump on their freethrows.

Basketman
06-30-2009, 01:59 AM
CP often doesn't jump on his shots.

Jeff Teague is one that comes to mind as a good shooter who doesn't jump. I think that will make it difficult for him to shoot in the NBA.

not jumping doesn't mean not using your legs. If jumping were that much better everyone would jump on their freethrows.
Actually you can't jump on your free throws. NBA made that rule because of Wilt Chamberlain.

yobore
06-30-2009, 02:04 AM
woops my fault.

If you could though would you jump shoot instead of set shoot at the free throw line?

Basketman
06-30-2009, 02:07 AM
woops my fault.

If you could though would you jump shoot instead of set shoot at the free throw line?
If you practice jumpshooting from there a lot, you can get really good.

RoseCity07
06-30-2009, 02:07 AM
Good shooters shoot with their legs. The arms just guide the ball. That's why when a NBA players legs go the ball just hits the front of the rim a lot.

Also, jumping makes it harder for the defender to block your shot.

Hammertime
06-30-2009, 02:17 AM
woops my fault.

You CAN jump. As long as you don't cross the line, you can jump all you want. Just gotta land behind the FT line. Hal Greer used to shoot that way in the 60s and 70s. Career 80%+ FT shooter.

OldSchoolBBall
06-30-2009, 02:17 AM
Damn this I gotta see. Any chance we may one day get a youtube video of this? You can fuzz out your face lol

lol What's the big deal? Bird did this all the time. My shooting form is sorta like his -- above and behind my head, with the elbow on my guide hand's arm kinda out more at an angle than usual. I've thrown shot fakes that had entire teams (mine and the opponent's) turned around looking for the rebound as I glided in for a layup. :D

I'm sure lots of people have flat-footed shot fakes and flat-footed or nearly flat-footed set shots. I jump (very high and quick, actually) on pull-ups. When I was younger (like 17-19) I used to joke around ith guys and actually go into my slow shot fake on pull-ups without jumping, and they'd jump to challenge, but I hadn't jumped. So I would wait until they landed and then just release it over their outstretched fingers. :D That was gimmicky, though, so I stopped doing that a long time ago.

PQ13
06-30-2009, 02:24 AM
shot without jumping are with only little lift is easier most of the time, since your balance is better (you must bend your knees though to have enough strength). For wide-open set shots, it's a good choice.
For short jumpers in traffic or pull-ups, you better jump for avoiding a block (especially for small players). But it also gives you a better view and a little time to adjust your balance.

Jumping high on jumpshots needs much practice, the most difficult part is the timing of release IMO. You release it to late, then you loose all the strength and the shot gets flat and short. Release to early, then you can't flip the wrist properly a get a good feeling for the shoot. But basically, the movement should be the same, jumping or without jumping.

I only use a high jumping jumpshots for pull-ups, but not very accurate...:cry:

jason816
06-30-2009, 03:06 AM
Sam Perkins barely jumps when he shoot the 3.

majorhops
06-30-2009, 03:32 AM
Okur goes on his tippy toes when he shoots jumpers.

NotYetGreat
06-30-2009, 04:00 AM
It's all comfortableness, to me. However, there's less chances of you being stuffed when using a jumpshot opposed to using a set shot. You don't necessarily have to jump high for your shot though. Just enough to get it over your defender. When you jump high and release at the apex, more often than not, you'll get lots and lots of

http://brunsonbrickandstone.com/images/brick.jpg

momo
06-30-2009, 05:56 AM

Brent Berry gets about a quarter inch off the ground on his 3's nowadays.

brantonli
06-30-2009, 06:02 AM
I think jumpshoot has another advantage, which is that you get more arc for the ball with less arm strength. For example, compared to a set shot, the point where the ball is released will always be higher. Actually now I think of it I'm not 100% sure lol. But I saw something very interesting on sports sceince.

The basket is 18 inches wide, the ball is 9 inches in diameter, the higher arc the shot has, the higher chance it has of going in. A shot coming directly above the rim will have almost 4 inches leeway from the middle of the hoop. A very flat shot however, will have tiny leeway and therefore have less chance of going it. Maybe that has something to do with jumpshooting.