PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't more AND-1 Mixtape players in the NBA?

Ken_Masters
07-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Why is Rafer Alston the only one who made it?

OneMoreSucka
07-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Because they'd get called for carrying every possession.

JG000
07-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Fess plays in the CBA...

Jordandunk23
07-05-2009, 06:07 PM
skills... a lot of And -1 players are skilled but the NBA is the highest level of basketball competition. the environment of the game is different. its faster, you have to play smart... it's not an easy transition. It took a while for Rafer Alston to develop into a solid NBA player.

wang4three
07-05-2009, 06:12 PM
The NBA is really hard to get into. These guys have trouble facing some guys at the local Y.

highwhey
07-05-2009, 06:14 PM
It makes you appreciate how truly talented NBA players are.

enayes
07-05-2009, 06:15 PM
It's quite simple, they aren't good enough :confusedshrug:

depletedW
07-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Because basketball and streetball are not the same thing.

Hammertime
07-05-2009, 06:19 PM

Yeah, I was gonna say, we're talking about two different sports here. It's kinda like asking why more college football stars aren't playing in the NBA.

andgar923
07-05-2009, 06:23 PM
It's quite simple, they aren't good enough :confusedshrug:

I mean...... I don't even know why its even a question.

Most of them aren't even good enough for a top Division 1 college team, let alone the NBA.

GiveItToBurrito
07-05-2009, 06:29 PM
None of them can shoot. Notice how each time someone pulls off a crazy crossover they either miss the shot, pass it off, or make the shot but in a really ugly way with it banging around the rim a lot before dropping? Also, a lot of them are undersized. Still, I'm surprised more legitimate players don't do And 1 on the side to make more money if it's allowed by NCAA rules. Like, it's technically playing ball for money, but those games are more like shows than actual sporting events where people are competing.

Splitz77
07-05-2009, 06:42 PM

Pretty much.

H2whoa
07-05-2009, 06:48 PM
I remember when Carlos Arroyo was in the NBA, he was one of my favorite players.

Hoopladawg87
07-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Besides Skip, the streetballer with the most NBA talent is AO. I had tickets when they were in town, and before the game AO was shooting lights out. I think he is about 6'2", with ballhandling, shooting, and the physical tools to be a capable defender.

I think a lot of it comes down to mentality. Streetballers chose that path for a reason, whether it has to do with lack of skill, lack of dedication, or inability to conform to the organized route of basketball. While many streetballers have tremendous talent with the basketball, the greater majority simply are not able to make the big transition from the streets to the pros.

Go Getter
07-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Besides Skip, the streetballer with the most NBA talent is AO. I had tickets when they were in town, and before the game AO was shooting lights out. I think he is about 6'2", with ballhandling, shooting, and the physical tools to be a capable defender.

I think a lot of it comes down to mentality. Streetballers chose that path for a reason, whether it has to do with lack of skill, lack of dedication, or inability to conform to the organized route of basketball. While many streetballers have tremendous talent with the basketball, the greater majority simply are not able to make the big transition from the streets to the pros.

AO would get murdered by the 3rd string point guard on the worst team in the league.

And Alimoe is much better than him.

BankShot
07-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Is this a serious question???

Defense, basic fundamentals like dribbling without traveling, making proper basketball decisions, consistently making shots

Ken_Masters
07-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Yes, this is a legitimate question. Rafer Alston was a streetball legend. He was used to pulling off fancy moves, and traveling with the ball, etc. I know he also played college ball at Fresno State, but if he was able to conform his game, i just fail to see why at least some of the others cannot do the same.

Go Getter
07-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Yes, this is a legitimate question. Rafer Alston was a streetball legend. He was used to pulling off fancy moves, and traveling with the ball, etc. I know he also played college ball at Fresno State, but if he was able to conform his game, i just fail to see why at least some of the others cannot do the same.

Probably because you aren't a basketball player.

The AND1 guys, if you look closely, ALLOW each other to pull of those fancy moves and dunks.

Most of the AND1 players have Div 1-2 skills/talent. Otherwise they WOULD be in the NBA rather than touring on a sweaty bus for 60k a year.

[not that that's bad but it's not like flying on Mark Cuban's private jet either].

Air up there
Alimoe
AO

All of them had college chances and if they were up to snuff they'd be in the league just like Skip.

A small percentage (1% give or take a few percentage points) could be in the league but they can't leave the streets, they have poor work ethic, or they lack discipline.

NYK-Bball
07-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Half Man Half Amazing plays in a big brooklyn tournament at the park across the street from my house this year and last year.Lets just says he not what And 1 advertises.He scores but can't dunk,misses layups and other people expose him badly.And 1 makes these people look great because they told not to play too hard defense to put on a show.

JM720
07-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Half Man Half Amazing plays in a big brooklyn tournament at the park across the street from my house this year and last year.Lets just says he not what And 1 advertises.He scores but can't dunk,misses layups and other people expose him badly.And 1 makes these people look great because they told not to play too hard defense to put on a show.

Half Man Half Amazing is old a hell :oldlol: his days are done.

Ken_Masters
07-05-2009, 10:06 PM

I don't play collegiate ball, but i am a ball player.

The AND1 guys, if you look closely, ALLOW each other to pull of those fancy moves and dunks.

I didn't know that. I was under the impression that all the fancy crossovers were real. Now that i know it's fake, and they let each other do all the moves, i guess this is a pretty dumb question then.

JM720
07-05-2009, 10:11 PM

I didn't know that. I was under the impression that all the fancy crossovers were real. Now that i know it's fake, and they let each other do all the moves, i guess this is a pretty dumb question then.

They are real, Do you people play ball? These kind of stuff happen everyday on the court. Ive seen 1 or 2 things on AND1 that were fake. But for the most part its real in terms of crossovers and moves, and if you played ball you would know that. In terms of Dunks they let people go down the lane alot just to put on a show.

OneMoreSucka
07-05-2009, 10:17 PM
They are real, Do you people play ball? These kind of stuff happen everyday on the court. Ive seen 1 or 2 things on AND1 that were fake. But for the most part its real in terms of crossovers and moves, and if you played ball you would know that. In terms of Dunks they let people go down the lane alot just to put on a show.
But come on, a lot of the stupid "wrap the ball around the defender's head" and meaningless overdribbling would get picked off immediately if it were someone actually trying to play D.

Go Getter
07-05-2009, 10:17 PM

Have you ever watched an AND1 game?

What self respecting baller is going to let someone pull their shirt, dribble a ball off their head, or dunk right beside them without laying the hammer down?

If one of those cats did that to me I'd use all 5 of my fouls on one play, lol.

Whenever AND1 comes to Chicago they lose. My theory is because Chicago players put substance before style. If you embarrass a Chicago player too much he's going to take offense and play rough.

Watch the mixtapes closely and see how many times people just let someone fly to the hoop or just stand in amazement as a player does a series of corny moves.

What I don't get is, how am I not supposed to be fooled/confused when you just double dribbled, traveled, and squirted me in the eye with a fake flower all in the same sequence?

Go Getter
07-05-2009, 10:20 PM

I've played all around Chicago and Ohio and I've rarely seen someone pull off the more difficult/popular moves smoothly in a game. That hotsauce stuff, while amusing, is pure garbage.

I've never had someone put the ball around my head and if they did I'd put a swift forearm in their chest.

:no:

not on the kid!

JM720
07-05-2009, 10:25 PM
I've played all around Chicago and Ohio and I've rarely seen someone pull off the more difficult/popular moves smoothly in a game. That hotsauce stuff, while amusing, is pure garbage.

I've never had someone put the ball around my head and if they did I'd put a swift forearm in their chest.

:no:

not on the kid!

Sure not on the kid cause those moves are so damn old, have you seen Hot Sauce lately? No. Why cause people learned most of his moves and he became predictable to guard.

miller-time
07-05-2009, 10:31 PM
haha can you imagine an AND1 guy playing pg, first of all trying to dribble around rondo then running into KG or perk?

OldSchoolBBall
07-05-2009, 10:31 PM
What I don't get is, how am I not supposed to be fooled/confused when you just double dribbled, traveled, and squirted me in the eye with a fake flower all in the same sequence?

:oldlol:

JM720
07-05-2009, 10:37 PM
But come on, a lot of the stupid "wrap the ball around the defender's head" and meaningless overdribbling would get picked off immediately if it were someone actually trying to play D.

1998 - 2003 All that shit was done alot, but after that people started becoming so familiar with the moves do to AND1, people starting to learn to guard it with ease. Thats why AND1 began to fail and they even began to lose games, something that never would happen.

FIXED
07-05-2009, 11:22 PM
The helicopter ( humpries) played for Oak Hill Academy with Tayshun Prince.

Don't get it twisted most of them are athletic enough to have played college ball easily maybe not North Carolina, but they could easily get on a D3 and up.

As for the NBA they simple aren't skilled enough but they are certainly athletic enough. I mean do you guys remember when NBA players go down and play with the streetball players at the Rucker. They ALL look like they are Michael Jordan compared to those folks. Like Kobe, Artest, Vince Carter hold on let me find footage.

wozzler
07-05-2009, 11:30 PM
why arent more slamball players in the NBA?

JordanL
07-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Do you think many of them have drug problems that would prevent them from playing NCAA/NBA?

Butters
07-05-2009, 11:50 PM
why arent more slamball players in the NBA?

Man i wish i could watch more Slamball.Better and more fun to watch than And1.

Blockers are so fun to watch!

To anser the OP.

The skill is not there.

00thecool00
07-06-2009, 12:01 AM

That reminds me of a time when I was playing ball and this dude did a move and then tried to pull my shirt over my head :no: .You know what I did?I grabbed his arm and pushed his hand down :oldlol:

kumquat
07-06-2009, 12:10 AM
I like the mix tapes, they pull off a crazy move then brick a shot. Notice half the time they don't even show what happens after they pull off a nice move.

JG000
07-06-2009, 12:12 AM
Alimoe is the only one who besides Skip I think could have made it in the league

He's 6'8" with a point guard's handle

I know he was in the D-league for a little bit, not sure how that worked out for him though

Go Getter
07-06-2009, 12:28 AM
That reminds me of a time when I was playing ball and this dude did a move and then tried to pull my shirt over my head :no: .You know what I did?I grabbed his arm and pushed his hand down :oldlol:

Exactly.

No way I'm letting a player grab my jersey...or do anything that's not a basketball move without letting him feel the wrath.

Killer_Instinct
07-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Exactly.

No way I'm letting a player grab my jersey...or do anything that's not a basketball move without letting him feel the wrath.

When the Lord said "Let there be light," did you say "Say please."? You're my hero.

AlaskaBlzDuk
07-06-2009, 02:51 AM
The nba average salary is 5.6 mil way more than even nfl so you are going to get the best of the best athletes in the world... in other words a big step up from even the semi pros

hell just think if Bron was a tight end... he'd be out of this world or shaq as a defencive end they too would need to change the rules for him

but that said the semi pro is a big step up from us avg joes and they would school me and most likely get me with that flower too :confusedshrug:

BankShot
07-06-2009, 02:55 AM
Alimoe is the only one who besides Skip I think could have made it in the league

He's 6'8" with a point guard's handle

I know he was in the D-league for a little bit, not sure how that worked out for him though

Well if he spent time in the D-League, and was never called up or made an NBA roster, then I'd say that he couldn't make it in the league.

Hammertime
07-06-2009, 03:33 AM
The skills AND1 players have are so context specific that they don't translate all that well to pro ball. For example, sick crossovers some of them have. A sick crossover without a very reliable jumper is useless. Yeah, you get free, and then you brick the shot. Or you beat the man and the team simply rotates. Do you have the skills to pass it to the one open teammate in the corner? Do you have the court vision to even see him? What if you're up against a zone? How often would you even have a chance to use the crossover?

Then there's all those guys who are generally undersized, but can jump out of the gym. That's all great in a dunk contest, but how many dunks do you see in an NBA game? How many of them are DW12-style, just put backs and power moves by tall guys? Vast majority? There's a few dunks on the fast break by the wings, maybe. How many dunks like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTBj81ZDv3Q Maybe one every 5 games.

When you're 6'3 to 6'6, most of the dunking you'll be doing is on the fast break, and it's not like you've got some great advantage over laying it in.

kingmob
07-06-2009, 03:47 AM
I heard Steve Nash got his MVPs after watching and learning from Professor. He has every single minute of Professor recorded on tape and studied it visiously for months. There are rumours going around that Nash offered Professor to coach him fulltime, but got rejected. Had to settle for Jason Williams.

rosonviyavong
07-06-2009, 04:42 AM
I heard Steve Nash got his MVPs after watching and learning from Professor. He has every single minute of Professor recorded on tape and studied it visiously for months. There are rumours going around that Nash offered Professor to coach him fulltime, but got rejected. Had to settle for Jason Williams.
:ohwell:

NotYetGreat
07-06-2009, 05:00 AM
It's still basketball, but there's a whole different feel to it. The NBA is organized ball where you have to play smart. Streetball is almost always never like that. However, I would bet that some of the players can actually adjust to a more organized game.

momo
07-06-2009, 06:21 AM

Link or GTFO. Silly wabbit.

godofgods
07-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Because streetball skillz are overrated.

Kujo
07-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Most, if not all And1 players lack basketball fundamentals. Some of them are freakish athletes, but the bottom line is that they are just not good enough.

By the way, does ESPN still air the And1 Mixtape tour during the summer?

andgar923
07-06-2009, 12:53 PM
The helicopter ( humpries) played for Oak Hill Academy with Tayshun Prince.

Don't get it twisted most of them are athletic enough to have played college ball easily maybe not North Carolina, but they could easily get on a D3 and up.

As for the NBA they simple aren't skilled enough but they are certainly athletic enough. I mean do you guys remember when NBA players go down and play with the streetball players at the Rucker. They ALL look like they are Michael Jordan compared to those folks. Like Kobe, Artest, Vince Carter hold on let me find footage.

I hope that was a typo or you're referring to this during Tayshaun's very early high school years (even then I believe is doubtful), because Tayshaun played in Compton's Dominguez, the same school that produced Tyson Chandler, along with And 1's 'Bad Santa' (is that his name?)

andgar923
07-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I do think that if some NBA players played against a really good streetball team, there's a possibility of them losing IF they played a streetball styled game. But if they decide to run NBA plays or play an NBA style of game, the streetball team would get crushed.

sergiorodriguez
07-06-2009, 01:11 PM
they have great handles but thats their only NBA ready skill

indiefan23
07-06-2009, 01:31 PM
I mean...... I don't even know why its even a question.

Most of them aren't even good enough for a top Division 1 college team, let alone the NBA.

Good enough? I'd absolutely disagree with that. The And-1 guys play a different sport. In And-1 you get as many points for style, attitude and demeanor as you do for making jumpers. Pro ballers come down to rucker and places like that all the time and they often get totally owned on the court. NBA players excel playing in a very structured environment but take that away and everything changes. For sure plenty are going to dominate still. But lots are not.

Once the ticky tack fouls are gone, and strict carry rules are gone and adoring fans are gone some NBA players also are just not that good anymore. You think Brian Scalanbrine is any match for Hot Sauce? He'd get murdered. How many NBA players would crumble when they went for the steal and the guy whipped it around in his shirt and bounced the ball off his face, then put it right in front of him, did a 1 second dance, and popped it back up with one hand before he could get to it?

Its not as extreme, but its almost like trying to compare boxing and UFC. Forget the dude, but he wanted to fight Roy Jones Jr. in the ring. UFC would not let him because it would have been a joke. Street ball is played by different rules and both types of players train for different games. In a way street ball is almost a little more pure. No refs, you call your own fouls and if you carried the ball while making someone look totally stupid you deserve to get the call cuz you did it with flair. In a way the crowd is the ref. Just a different system. Yea, I love street ball. Honestly for every streetballer who can't make the pros I could name a pro baller who couldn't make and-1. I appreciate them both.

FIXED
07-06-2009, 02:33 PM
I hope that was a typo or you're referring to this during Tayshaun's very early high school years (even then I believe is doubtful), because Tayshaun played in Compton's Dominguez, the same school that produced Tyson Chandler, along with And 1's 'Bad Santa' (is that his name?)

He played for Oak Hill Academy. I am not sure who exactly was on that squad. I can check it might have been Melo. IDK hold on let me check.

FIXED
07-06-2009, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE]Oak Hill alumni scheduled to participate include Carmelo Anthony (Denver Nuggets), Josh Smith (Atlanta Hawks), Jerry Stackhouse (Dallas Mavericks), Stephen Jackson (Indiana Pacers), Steve Blake (Milwaukee Bucks), Marcus Williams (New Jersey Nets), Jeff McInnis (NJ Nets), Rajon Rondo (Boston Celtics), DeSagana Diop (Dallas Mavericks) and [B]John

JG000
07-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Well if he spent time in the D-League, and was never called up or made an NBA roster, then I'd say that he couldn't make it in the league.

Well yea, sure. Obviously he didn't have enough to make in the league. But other than Skip, he's the only And 1 guy to even make it THAT far...

Da KO King
07-06-2009, 06:46 PM
For some it is a case of mentality. A guy like Alimoe would be in the NBA right now if he got his head on straight in time. Alimoe dropped out of Community College after a few months because he was tired of playing college ball for free when he could make cash playing on the street.

For others its a case of being undersized. AO is 6'2" so he has the height to be a PG but weighs about 165 lbs soaking weight. Guys would literally run through him at the NBA level.

For the most part though it comes down to guys not having a good enough combination of skills and athleticism. As much as I like Main Event he simply does not have enough skill to be a NBA SG even though he is a NBA athlete. (Not an AND1 guy but...) On the flip side a guy like Reggie Freeman had the skills and size but lacked the athleticism.

samballs
07-06-2009, 07:32 PM
And-1 guys do 1 or 2 things great and they know how to sale it to a crowd. It's all entertainment, the dribblers and the dunkers. None that do both.

NBA is on a totally different level, all 30 teams have multiple guys that could do both. Plus I think the tallest guy on the And-1 court when I went was 6'7" tops. Main Event was maybe 6'4" in shoes, his game is all PF.

raptorfan_dr07
07-06-2009, 07:33 PM
The question's pretty much been answered by everyone who posted in here, but it's pretty simple. The NBA game, and streetball are really two completely different things. Most streetball players lack true basketball fundamentals. A lot of the little crossovers, shakes, moves, etc, that they do would be illegal in a real basketball game. Most of them are really borderline D1 talent, mainly D2.

I remember I was watching a Lakers post game show a couple years ago and they had one of those streetball guys on, I think it was the Professor, little white guy with blond hair. Anyways, they wanted him to try his moves out on Norm Nixon and Michael Cooper. Now these two guys are long retired and are both in suits and dress shoes. After a few tries, the streetball guy was able to get past Norm Nixon, however, Coop locked him up every single time he tried to pull off a crossover. Yes, an out of shape Coop was just toying with him defensively. To me, that summed up perfectly, the difference between Streetball and the NBA.

Lebron23
05-31-2021, 08:51 AM
Most of them are undersized and not even good defenders. Rafer Alston is the street baller than ever played in the NBA. And in his prime he smoked all of them.