PDA

View Full Version : Raptors give extension to Andrea Bargnani

PaperClip
07-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Bargnani's agent, Leon Rose, told ESPN.com on Tuesday night that the Raptors -- who later this week will officially sign Turkoglu away from Orlando -- have reached an agreement in principle on a contract extension for the 7-foot Italian, who was selected No. 1 overall by the Raptors in the 2006 draft.

The deal, according to NBA front-office sources, would span five seasons starting in 2010-11 and earn Bargnani an estimated $50 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4312517

knickscity
07-07-2009, 11:42 PM
That is some heavy money for him. Don't think he is nearly worth that yet.

1~Gibson~1
07-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Bargnani showed some signs of promises during the end of the season under their new HC. :applause: Congrats big fella /Mike Brown :lol

Posterize246
07-07-2009, 11:46 PM
:wtf: Did I read that correctly?

hawkfan
07-07-2009, 11:49 PM
With Turkoglu and AB getting big money, it looks like Bosh is on his way out of town.

Rockets(T-mac)
07-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Damn 10 Mil a year? He's probably around the 7-9 mil range, but still... Doesn't sound right to give him that much.

meh
07-07-2009, 11:53 PM
With Turkoglu and AB getting big money, it looks like Bosh is on his way out of town.

Why so? They have bird rights so it's not as if they can't pay him.

PleezeBelieve
07-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Why so? They have bird rights so it's not as if they can't pay him.
:roll:

Denial.

Get what you can get for Bosh and move on. Look toward any young team with talent and do what you can. GS and OKC sound like good choices. If GS can get off to a good start, maybe trading for Bosh could make them a top-6 team in the West.

Just saying...

beasted86
07-08-2009, 12:11 AM
As a Heat fan, I'm glad... put's more pressure on TO to make a playoff run this year.

With Bosh knowing that Turkoglu, Bargnani & Calderon are locked into large contracts, meaning they won't have any free agent options come next offseason, if they can't make the playoffs next season, he's gone.

100% sure about that.

plat1numX
07-08-2009, 12:14 AM
The guy pretty much averaged 20-7 for when he was a starter last year...discount in my book :rockon:

FinishHim!
07-08-2009, 12:14 AM
He definitely didn't earn it. Colangelo probably gave him that contract on the basis that he thinks Bargnani will improve to the point where he's worth more than that. And Bargnani jumped at that contract because he knows at this point he's not worth that much and who knows if he'll ever make that significant of a leap.

Posterize246
07-08-2009, 12:17 AM
The guy pretty much averaged 20-7 for when he was a starter last year...discount in my book :rockon:
No he didn't.

bagelred
07-08-2009, 12:17 AM
This will be one of those untradeable contracts in a year or two. Now I remember how dumb GM's can be. Don't we see this all the time? How did "Player X" get $10 million a year? Perfect example.

$10 million a year for Bargnani? Only the Toronto homers are happy about this.

"He's so worth it!!!!!" :lol

1~Gibson~1
07-08-2009, 12:18 AM
The guy pretty much averaged 20-7 for when he was a starter last year...discount in my book :rockon:17.7 PPG/6 RPG/1.3 BPG/45 FG%/42 3pt %/35 MPG

TMAC-RAPTORS
07-08-2009, 12:18 AM
He definitely didn't earn it. Colangelo probably gave him that contract on the basis that he thinks Bargnani will improve to the point where he's worth more than that. And Bargnani jumped at that contract because he knows at this point he's not worth that much and who knows if he'll ever make that significant of a leap.

The way he was playing for the second half of the season he definitely earned it. Call it a bargain comparing to what we see in today's contracts.

TMAC-RAPTORS
07-08-2009, 12:20 AM
This will be one of those untradeable contracts in a year or two. Now I remember how dumb GM's can be. Don't we see this all the time? How did "Player X" get $10 million a year? Perfect example.

$10 million a year for Bargnani? Only the Toronto homers are happy about this.

"He's so worth it!!!!!" :lol

You don't live in Canada so you probally only see about 2 raptors game a season. You don't have the right to judge.

bokes15
07-08-2009, 12:22 AM
The way he was playing for the second half of the season he definitely earned it. Call it a bargain comparing to what we see in today's contracts.
Half a season shouldn't earn you 50 million bucks over 5 years, but anyways as I said in the same such thread in the Raps forum the going rate for NBA bigs is very high these days so it comes as no surprise and has the potential to be a bargain depending on his continued improvement. But as of now no he has not earned it.

TMAC-RAPTORS
07-08-2009, 12:22 AM
No he didn't.

Well as starting center he avg 19/6/1.4blks

The GM
07-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Not too bad of a deal on both sides, Bargnani showed signs last year reminds me of a young Dirk and if he turns out to become that then i'm sure Toronto would be happy. Calderon, Hedo & A.B. is a good core to work around, of course there are gunna lose Bosh but if they can pick up a big man with a defensive presence and a scorer at sg within the next few years they could be something to watch in the next few years

TMAC-RAPTORS
07-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Boy, Raptors have NO EXCUSES now.

$10 million man Bargnani, franchise center Bosh, Turkish sensation Turkoglu, quality PG Calderon.....

WOOOOOOOOOW, that has got to be a top 4 team in the east am i right?????

NO? I guess all that money doesn't buy what it used to........:lol

"He's so worth it!!!!" :lol

Who has ever said we would be a top 4 team? Sure, we might be able to get the 6-8 seed in the weak east.

ZeN
07-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Bargs is gettin paid.. now he better deliver something... cause hes given little so far..

Tips4
07-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Well as starting center he avg 19/6/1.4blks

And adding 45 FG% and shooting 42% from three for a Center. His defence is far developed than most people think. He can defend todays Centers. He does that again next year and i am extremely happy especially for a big man who is only 23 years old. 10 Mil is not that max and i am preety sure if Bargnani got this team like how Bosh got this team after Carter left,all you here would be talking about Bargnani being worth the max.

beasted86
07-08-2009, 12:33 AM
I don't get what you're trying to say... :confusedshrug:
I think he's trying to say: "is this the best the Raptors could do to try to keep Bosh around?"

bokes15
07-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Bargs is gettin paid.. now he better deliver something... cause hes given little so far..
5 year 50 mill isn't franchise player money... You do know that right?

takeittothehoop
07-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Bryan Colangelo again living up to his reputation as a sh*t GM. Hows Jermaine O'Neal working for ya? Oh wait.

beasted86
07-08-2009, 12:36 AM
You don't pay role players 50 mill either.

If he comes out with another ~16/6 campaign... the Raptors are screwed out of their money.

bokes15
07-08-2009, 12:40 AM

If he comes out with another ~16/6 campaign... the Raptors are screwed out of their money.
Lakers were paying Odom, Gasol, and Bynum considerably more than that....

ZeN
07-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Oh I am fully aware..

But Im also aware that in the past few years bargs has only delivered pockets of good games.. and they are only called good because of how awful he usually is..

He has potential, but realistically he does deserve to make 10 mil a year.. even if its not star money..

beasted86
07-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Lakers were paying Odom, Gasol, and Bynum considerably more than that....

First off... Gasol is not a role player...

Secondly... They never signed Odom to that contract... the Heat did, & they signed him as an offensive focal point. And besides, Odom probably won't get a 5yr/$50M contract. And it's pretty easy to say right now Odom > Bargnani.

Third... Bynum is already proving he may be overpaid.

TMAC-RAPTORS
07-08-2009, 12:44 AM

I can make a whole list of player that make more than 10 mill a year (or close to it) that aren't franchise players.

beasted86
07-08-2009, 12:47 AM
I can make a whole list of player that make more than 10 mill a year (or close to it) that aren't franchise players.

And the majority are probably overpaid players deemed "untradable".

The truth is most players making in the double digits in millions "should" be part of franchise's core.

Zan Tabak
07-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Bargnani is only going on 24 and has tons of room to grow. Especially being a 7footer. He's already shown improvement and I suspect we can all except the same in the future. I personally like the signing.

IamSofaKing
07-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Bargnani is only going on 24 and has tons of room to grow. Especially being a 7footer. He's already shown improvement and I suspect we can all except the same in the future. I personally like the signing.

I like the idea too but 50 million for 5 years? :eek:

Kungfro
07-08-2009, 01:04 AM
As long as he keeps improving like he has been I have no problem the contract.

bagelred
07-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Who has ever said we would be a top 4 team? Sure, we might be able to get the 6-8 seed in the weak east.

:lol

Maybe you need Juuuuuuust a few more $10 million players, THEN will you be a contender.

:lol $45 million on 4 players doesn't buy what it used to.

bagelred
07-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Raptors won 33 games last year with Bosh, Marion, Calderon, and the $10 million dollar man. :lol

"Good job Andrea....here's $50 million extension. Keep up the the good work!!!! Uh...can you get us into the playoffs now?" :lol

Bargnani "Can't make any promises." :lol

miles berg
07-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Its funny hearing a fan of a team that gave Allan Houston $100,000,000 cut down someone elses team for giving out a $50,000,000 deal.

Somethings just not right about it.

Prodigy
07-08-2009, 01:48 AM

Maybe you need Juuuuuuust a few more $10 million players, THEN will you be a contender.

:lol $45 million on 4 players doesn't buy what it used to.

You'd know being a Knicks fan.

Obviously people know that Bagnani isn't worth 10 per right now. More like 8. But people are also expecting him to improve to a 21/8 player which WOULD be worth 10.

bokes15
07-08-2009, 01:57 AM
First off... Gasol is not a role player...

Secondly... They never signed Odom to that contract... the Heat did, & they signed him as an offensive focal point. And besides, Odom probably won't get a 5yr/$50M contract. And it's pretty easy to say right now Odom > Bargnani.

Third... Bynum is already proving he may be overpaid.
Gasol didn't win 1 playoff game on his own. We're not talking about rings or anything, we're talking about one singular playoff win. As the man he was swept twice... Not saying that Bargnani has approached his level yet in terms of talent, but yes, Gasol was a role player on that Lakers team. Albeit he had a big role as the second best player, but make no mistake, that was Kobe's team. Odom was a role player, and Bynum was/is a role player making HUGE money. 5 years 50 mill isn't that much guys, take a breather. How many 10 mill/year guys are expected to carry a team to the promise land. None that I can think of, not in this day and age.

bdreason
07-08-2009, 02:01 AM
Bargnani and Turkoglu... the future of the Raptors? :confusedshrug:

DuMa
07-08-2009, 02:02 AM
toronto wants to sign all the euro players

beasted86
07-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Gasol didn't win 1 playoff game on his own. We're not talking about rings or anything, we're talking about one singular playoff win. As the man he was swept twice... Not saying that Bargnani has approached his level yet in terms of talent, but yes, Gasol was a role player on that Lakers team. Albeit he had a big role as the second best player, but make no mistake, that was Kobe's team. Odom was a role player, and Bynum was/is a role player making HUGE money. 5 years 50 mill isn't that much guys, take a breather. How many 10 mill/year guys are expected to carry a team to the promise land. None that I can think of, not in this day and age.

Well when Mike Miller is the second best player on the team, I'd assume most teams would have a hard time winning a playoff game. There is a huge difference between Gasol in Memphis and Bargnani in his first 3 years.... He was a consistent rebounder and scorer, something Bargnani is not. Gasol was also an all-star by his 3rd season... Bargnani is not.

As I've said before, Odom was signed to the Heat to be their primary scorer alongside Caron... it just so happened Wade panned out a whole lot quicker than everyone thought.

And also, as I've said before, Bynum right now is looking like an overpaid player.

It's really as simple as what I've said before... a player making double digits is usually supposed to be a franchise core player. If he keeps up the inconsistent act, he will quickly be piled alongside players like Kaman who have potential, and some upside, but simply are not worth their current contracts.

BTW, if you don't know what I mean by franchise core player: it's a player they team can rebuild & retool around. If the Lakers had to rebuild, they likely hold onto Kobe, Gasol, & Bynum, and trade the other around, same with Spurs & Duncan, Ginobili & Parker. Bargs in comparison right now is looking like an expendable player.

bokes15
07-08-2009, 02:18 AM
Well when Mike Miller is the second best player on the team, I'd assume most teams would have a hard time winning a playoff game. There is a huge difference between Gasol in Memphis and Bargnani in his first 3 years.... He was a consistent rebounder and scorer, something Bargnani is not. Gasol was also an all-star by his 3rd season... Bargnani is not.

As I've said before, Odom was signed to the Heat to be their primary scorer alongside Caron... it just so happened Wade panned out a whole lot quicker than everyone thought.

And also, as I've said before, Bynum right now is looking like an overpaid player.

It's really as simple as what I've said before... a player making double digits is usually supposed to be a franchise core player. If he keeps up the inconsistent act, he will quickly be piled alongside players like Kaman who have potential, and some upside, but simply are not worth their current contracts.

Your first paragraph pretty much explains itself. When Mike Miller is your 2nd best player (which of course is highly debatable when a prime J-Will on that team) then it just shows that his numbers were inflated. Gasol was a very good player on a half decent team without a go-to guy. I think that Gasol's 17-18/9-10 that he's been averaging since joining the Lakers is a more fair comparison now since he's the 2nd option, which is what Bargnani is/has been in Toronto. So, you're kind of comparing apples and oranges here. I don't think he's as good as Pau Gasol but at the same time they weren't given an equal amount of opportunities at each stage of their respective careers.

lilbeastnani
07-08-2009, 02:38 AM
Just to give this some perspective for the haters...

Big Z 11 M/year
Ben Wallets 15 mill/year
Sam Dalembert 11-12 mill/year
Nene 10 mill/year
Biedrins 9 mill/year
Bynum 14 mill/year
Eddie Curry 11 mill/year
Tyson Chandler 11 mill/year
Emeka Okafor 12 mill/year

Bargnani at 10 mill/year is definitely a fair contract for both parties. And when his game improves even further as full time C we're gonna be laughing that we got him at this price, rather than it being the other way around.

All Net
07-08-2009, 02:39 AM
Another big being overpaid too soon..not a surprise.

lilbeastnani
07-08-2009, 02:46 AM
Another big being overpaid too soon..not a surprise.
Compared to the contracts other bigs have been given this one is very fair... And listen, imagine Bargs has a breakout year like Bynum did and averages like 22-23/8... His agent would probably have him demanding like 5 years 65-70 mill and then what'd we do? BC did this contract on the basis that Bargs has the potential to be a very good player and he's giving him that fixed contract now in hopes that he'll expand and be worth even more than that. It is kind of a gamble, but not really a major one and well worth it if you ask me.

InspiredLebowski
07-08-2009, 03:01 AM
Just when he was starting to develop and show he was perhaps worth a high lotto pick the pressure's right back on him.

nev3rh00d
07-08-2009, 04:20 AM
Compared to the contracts other bigs have been given this one is very fair... And listen, imagine Bargs has a breakout year like Bynum did and averages like 22-23/8... His agent would probably have him demanding like 5 years 65-70 mill and then what'd we do? BC did this contract on the basis that Bargs has the potential to be a very good player and he's giving him that fixed contract now in hopes that he'll expand and be worth even more than that. It is kind of a gamble, but not really a major one and well worth it if you ask me.

That's what I wanted 2 say. He has got a great potential. I think that was Raptors primary concern when they made an offer.

knickscity
07-08-2009, 06:10 AM
Just to give this some perspective for the haters...

Big Z 11 M/year
Ben Wallets 15 mill/year
Sam Dalembert 11-12 mill/year
Nene 10 mill/year
Biedrins 9 mill/year
Bynum 14 mill/year
Eddie Curry 11 mill/year
Tyson Chandler 11 mill/year
Emeka Okafor 12 mill/year

Bargnani at 10 mill/year is definitely a fair contract for both parties. And when his game improves even further as full time C we're gonna be laughing that we got him at this price, rather than it being the other way around.

Yeah that is comparable for big men. The only problem with signing bigs on potential is usually you never get what you pay for.

Hopefully Bargs won't be the same. Since he was the top draft pick, isn't he already make close to 8 mil already????

bokes15
07-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Yeah that is comparable for big men. The only problem with signing bigs on potential is usually you never get what you pay for.

Hopefully Bargs won't be the same. Since he was the top draft pick, isn't he already make close to 8 mil already????
Yes, next years qualifying offer would've been over 8 mill. So in fact it was probably a smart choice for BC to just offer him the 10 because like beastnani said, look at the going rate for good young big men. They all get overpaid and if Bargnani produced for an entire year what he did for that stretch during the 2nd half of the season, he would be demanding more than a 5 year 50 mill contract and BC would probably meet those demands..

Melissa
07-08-2009, 09:11 AM
He may be worth that much based on his potential and the fact that he seems have figured out how to play in the NBA. But he is still the worst rebounding big in the NBA.

bagelred
07-08-2009, 09:12 AM
"OMG....OMG....thank you SOOOOOOO much for signing that extension with us. $50 million!!!!!! So worth it."

Bargnani "You are welcome".

"So....you think you can get us into playoffs next year?"

Barnani "Did you pay me $15 million a year?"

"Uh.....no"

Bargnani "Then I don't think so......"

"Oh....that's ok.......we love you anyway......" :hammerhead:

bokes15
07-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Ok... he's worth more than 5 mill a year and less than 10 mill... I'd say about 8, so the extension he signed isn't like some kind of huge aberration.

Gregsguys
07-08-2009, 09:56 AM
I like it, maybe a little high right now but with anymore development its worth it.

Also, either Bosh is staying or leaving after this year:
1) With Bosh it gives a decent starting 5, room to work on the rest
2) Without Bosh (probably the case) it gives them a base on which to build with the extra dough they have. Calderon, Rozan, Hedo, _______, Bargnani plus next years draft pick and one or two FA's. At least there is talent if Bosh leaves.

All Net
07-08-2009, 10:05 AM
If Bosh re-signs that is certainly going to be alot for two frontcourt players.

Tool
07-08-2009, 10:15 AM
If Bosh re-signs that is certainly going to be alot for two frontcourt players.

What are you talking about look at Orlando and a bunch of teams in the league.

Lewis lol Bargnani ftw!

Molson
07-08-2009, 10:46 AM
If he gets a lot better, which he has shown many signs he can, then it's a heck of a bargain.

If he gets even just a little better, then it's the right number.

If he stays the same, then it's over paid by 1-1.5M.

What's the big deal? If you follow the salaries for guys at this position even just a little bit, how does this number not make sense?

Gregsguys
07-08-2009, 10:48 AM
What's the big deal? If you follow the salaries for guys at this position even just a little bit, how does this number not make sense?

It doesn't make sense if you are a fan of an opposing team who just roped him in at $10 Million per year.:D

beasted86
07-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Okay...

I'm going to throw this question out there... and I want people to answer as honestly as possible (especially Raptors fans). Please, be very honest:

What are the chances Bargnani would have been worth more than a $10M/yr. contract after next season?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

THAT is why this is overpaying. What exactly was the rush? He was going to be a restricted free agent anyway, it's unlikely anyone would have paid him more than $10M per year even if he came out with a consistent 19/6 campaign.

Rather than keep options open for 2010, they commit to a mediocre squad.

Godfather
07-08-2009, 11:26 AM
:banghead:

The Raptor's GM needs to be fired.

10mil a season? Are you ****ing kidding me? Is this some kind of ****ing typo?

danumber88
07-08-2009, 11:34 AM
^

B.C believes in Bargnani being the cornerstone for Raptors, it did look promising for the better half of February even out playing the likes of Rashard Lewis (stat wise) The deal should be sliced though.. far too much.. Bosh isnt going to sign.. :hammerhead:

Godfather
07-08-2009, 11:36 AM
^

B.C believes in Bargnani being the cornerstone for Raptors, it did look promising for the better half of February even out playing the likes of Rashard Lewis (stat wise) The deal should be sliced though.. far too much.. Bosh isnt going to sign.. :hammerhead:

Cologeno (spelling) is an idiot.

He lost the best player in Toronto history.

He made them the softest team in the league.

He has now doomed them to mediocrity.

T-Low
07-08-2009, 11:39 AM
As much as I love the Raps organization, I don't like this nor do I like the Turk signing. Money isn't a problem for the raps I guess....only thing I can think of is that there is a big Bosh trade coming up and they need the pieces around Turk-Bargs to get what they really want....a championship. Maybe Bosh for a good center and a good SG that can ACTUALLY play D might help out this organization. Oh, and some depth.

BTW, I hate Bargnani...

danumber88
07-08-2009, 11:39 AM

My posts didn't necessarily reflect to Raptors being good. Just saying B.C decided to go for Bargnani as the corner stone and lost the most agressive player on our team. But a big Bosh trade is coming up..

DeathOfAutotune
07-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Im starting to wonder if BC is trynna make a championship team or a team full of white guys who cant really defend.....Bosh l should be the franchise player....I would trade bargs if anything...too late though Bosh is outta here

indiefan23
07-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Damn 10 Mil a year? He's probably around the 7-9 mil range, but still... Doesn't sound right to give him that much.

Hmm... name one basketball skill that Bargnani does not have. In a year this contract will be seen as a bargain. Bargnani's ceiling is 20+ and 10. 20 and 8 next year is even likely. I keep telling people, you know he shot 50% for a month last year................... FROM 3! Like, his potential is still massive. He had a coach who didn't use him properly for a couple years and hated him. As soon as the coach was gone he started playing great again. AND, he's only 23. Paying players who are worth 10 million right now is how to not contend. Paying players 10 mill the year before they're worth it, like the Spurs have done with parker/manu, is how you win. Colangelo knows exactly what he's doing.

Dave3
07-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I love Bargnani, but from what we've seen so far from him, this is way too much. He needs to get at least 8 rebounds a game and shoot better than 45% from the field if he deserves that kind of money, as well as give us a much better defensive effort. What I really had exception to though, was the Turk signing. I don't think he's a good fit for us at all, pretty much giving us more of what we already have and not what we need (defense, toughness, and rebounding). If we can get Pops back as well a starting Centre who bangs down low in the post with a back up or starting defensive 2, then we'd look much better.

IamSofaKing
07-08-2009, 12:49 PM
I love Bargnani, but from what we've seen so far from him, this is way too much. He needs to get at least 8 rebounds a game and shoot better than 45% from the field if he deserves that kind of money, as well as give us a much better defensive effort. What I really had exception to though, was the Turk signing. I don't think he's a good fit for us at all, pretty much giving us more of what we already have and not what we need (defense, toughness, and rebounding). If we can get Pops back as well a starting Centre who bangs down low in the post with a back up or starting defensive 2, then we'd look much better.

There is still no word on Pops if he re signed yet...

indiefan23
07-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Im starting to wonder if BC is trynna make a championship team or a team full of white guys who cant really defend.....Bosh l should be the franchise player....I would trade bargs if anything...too late though Bosh is outta here

Ya know, they're being smart. Toronto is easily the prime location for European/international talent. Its the most multi-cultural city in the world. If you're a Euro dude, do you want to live in a burned out urban area in the states or Canada... its a well duh question that Hedo already gave his answer to, and he was only going to Portland which is a nice city. With the crazy improvement seen internationally if they keep building on that theme (like San Antonio did) they're going to be winning lots. They build a team of the best euro players playing a little more international style and have success with it and draw all the best global talent. It only makes sense.

Kujo
07-08-2009, 12:58 PM
There was no reason to do this now. Why not wait and see what Bargs does this season? :confusedshrug:

Regardless, he's not worth 10 mil a season.

He better start rebounding.

beasted86
07-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Hmm... name one basketball skill that Bargnani does not have. In a year this contract will be seen as a bargain. Bargnani's ceiling is 20+ and 10. 20 and 8 next year is even likely. I keep telling people, you know he shot 50% for a month last year................... FROM 3! Like, his potential is still massive. He had a coach who didn't use him properly for a couple years and hated him. As soon as the coach was gone he started playing great again. AND, he's only 23. Paying players who are worth 10 million right now is how to not contend. Paying players 10 mill the year before they're worth it, like the Spurs have done with parker/manu, is how you win. Colangelo knows exactly what he's doing.
Ceiling, ceiling... potential, potential...

Let's just see what Bargnani does next season. IMO his ceiling is Mehmet Okur, which is around 18PPG 7 REB.... but the truth is nobody is calling Okur's $8.5M a bargain.

I really still have no idea why they rushed into this deal. Bargnani's stock would not have risen over a $10M contract by next year.

indiefan23
07-08-2009, 01:28 PM

Umm... unless you're overrating Bosh who's not gone yet, Vince Carter is the best player in TO history. Its not even close. And he didn't lose him, Babecock did.

Colangelo traded TJ Ford for Jermaine O'Neal but had to cuz TJ was so clearly not happy playing backup and Calderone was clearly a much better point guard.

Faufner
07-08-2009, 01:31 PM
This is a deal given based on potential value, that's it. In order to win, sometimes you have to take gambles and this is one that Colangelo believes will pay off. If Bargnani averages 20 and 7-8 this year, would he be worth this contract at 24 years old? Absolutely, possibly even more. You're telling me that if Bargnani was a free agent next year, at age 24, coming off a season of 20 and 7, that a team like the Bulls, for example, wouldn't be all over this guy?

Imagine Greg Oden when his rookie contract ends. Yeah he's struggled in his first year playing, and he won't reach his maximum potential by his fourth year (especially since he missed one full season). You're telling me it's NOT smart to try and get him locked up for 10-12 mill a season? It's all about potential value people. He has the potential to be worth more than that. And so does Bargnani.

Dave3
07-08-2009, 01:34 PM
There is still no word on Pops if he re signed yet...
That's the kind of player we need. We need hustle and strength. We don't need more shooters without any physical presence. The great thing about Bargnani though is his low post D and toughness is underrated by probably everyone, but we need a lot more than that for now.

John Smith
07-08-2009, 01:34 PM
I guess they're serious about showing Bosh they are trying to be contenders. :lol

Man...$50 mil! He's probably only worth the MLE. Maybe 6 or 7 mil per cuz he's tall but that's about it. He's overpaid now. If he sucks next season, they won't be able to move that horrible contract.

indiefan23
07-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Ceiling, ceiling... potential, potential...

Let's just see what Bargnani does next season. IMO his ceiling is Mehmet Okur, which is around 18PPG 7 REB.... but the truth is nobody is calling Okur's $8.5M a bargain.

I really still have no idea why they rushed into this deal. Bargnani's stock would not have risen over a $10M contract by next year.

19 and 9 is not 10 million worthy? Really? And Okur was a shooter who thrived off of a great point. Bargnani had 1.2 BPG last year and is not close to his prime. Okur is no where near the defensive presence Bargnani could be or is and has no where near as complete a game as Bargnani. Great shooter, but he's not a better shooter then Bargnani and only shot >40% for the first time last year. Bargnani did this last season. In march playing 33 minutes a game Bargnani had 20 points, 6 boards and shot 50% from the 3 point line. Has Okur ever had a month like that? I seriously doubt it. And again, he's only 23. They guy has not nearly played his best ball.

brwnman
07-08-2009, 01:41 PM
He'll be worth the contract. It's gonna be a bargain if anything...

RajonKGcelts
07-08-2009, 01:42 PM

Agreed

John Smith
07-08-2009, 01:43 PM

He basically got the same exact thing Tyson Chandler got and you see how difficult it is to move that contract for the Hornets.

TheAnti-Dentite
07-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Quite a bit of money for Bargnani, but not terrible when compared to other young bigs. It looks like Colangelo is either preparing to trade Bosh for a wing combo, or hoping Demar can create offense on his own against NBA players. 5 starters who are more valuable on the offensive end, and yet the only one I feel real comfortable with creating his own shot is Bosh... hopefully it works out.

Bargnani's a good player, approaching great, but he still has a ways to go before he reaches Bosh's level in terms of offensive productivity. Most effective pump fake in the league, but he has no other way of beating defenders off the dribble. His post game improved last year, but he still looks clumsy and disoriented when fighting for position on offense, so improving his off-ball movement and attaining post position should be a top priority.

brwnman
07-08-2009, 01:49 PM
He basically got the same exact thing Tyson Chandler got and you see how difficult it is to move that contract for the Hornets.

Two completely different players. Also, when Chandler was healthy the year before, he was seen as worth the contract. He was battling injuries this year. Furthermore, Bargnani is a much better offensive player and his defense is underrated here on ish...

indiefan23
07-08-2009, 01:57 PM
This is a deal given based on potential value, that's it. In order to win, sometimes you have to take gambles and this is one that Colangelo believes will pay off. If Bargnani averages 20 and 7-8 this year, would he be worth this contract at 24 years old? Absolutely, possibly even more. You're telling me that if Bargnani was a free agent next year, at age 24, coming off a season of 20 and 7, that a team like the Bulls, for example, wouldn't be all over this guy?

Imagine Greg Oden when his rookie contract ends. Yeah he's struggled in his first year playing, and he won't reach his maximum potential by his fourth year (especially since he missed one full season). You're telling me it's NOT smart to try and get him locked up for 10-12 mill a season? It's all about potential value people. He has the potential to be worth more than that. And so does Bargnani.

Heh, exactly. I'd like to see people here play the stock market. The way to make money is to buy high, right? Nearly every great team has a guy who's getting underpaid to push them over the top and this is really the only way to get one cuz once a team has a great contract they always keep it. When's the last time a team traded a bargain contract? Those are harder to get then actual superstars and hence more valuable. You can just give a star max money like Orlando did to Shard and bam, you've got him. Finding the great manu contract guy is much, much harder. Teams are built around good contracts almost as much as star players.

fatboy11
07-08-2009, 02:11 PM
With Turkoglu and AB getting big money, it looks like Bosh is on his way out of town.Bosh is the wrong nationality for Toronto.

They don't want American players, it seems.

beasted86
07-08-2009, 02:12 PM
19 and 9 is not 10 million worthy? Really? And Okur was a shooter who thrived off of a great point. Bargnani had 1.2 BPG last year and is not close to his prime. Okur is no where near the defensive presence Bargnani could be or is and has no where near as complete a game as Bargnani. Great shooter, but he's not a better shooter then Bargnani and only shot >40% for the first time last year. Bargnani did this last season. In march playing 33 minutes a game Bargnani had 20 points, 6 boards and shot 50% from the 3 point line. Has Okur ever had a month like that? I seriously doubt it. And again, he's only 23. They guy has not nearly played his best ball.
This whole paragraph right here tells me your really a Bargnani fan, and can't give an unbiased judgement of his talent.

"Has Okur ever had a month like that? I seriously doubt it." That line really made me :oldlol:. I mean it litterally took me 15 seconds to find this: (Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3547/splits;_ylt=AnSQ4uDHkz4PdXSgKZZbEc2kPKB4)).

That just sounds like a kid... "I bet'cha he couldn't do that... he's super betterer than him." :oldlol:

red1
07-08-2009, 03:40 PM
That just sounds like a kid... "I bet'cha he couldn't do that... he's super betterer than him." :oldlol:

If he stays healthy (no worrying injuries so far) and improves even slightly, Bargnani is gonna be earning the money in this contract. Not worth 10mill next year, I agree with everyone who said 7 - 8.5mill. In the grand scheme of things tho, this contract will probably help the franchise out a lot.

indiefan23
07-08-2009, 03:43 PM
This whole paragraph right here tells me your really a Bargnani fan, and can't give an unbiased judgement of his talent.

"Has Okur ever had a month like that? I seriously doubt it." That line really made me :oldlol:. I mean it litterally took me 15 seconds to find this: (Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3547/splits;_ylt=AnSQ4uDHkz4PdXSgKZZbEc2kPKB4)).

Uh, well I'm not a huge fan... why can't that paragraph just be my unbias judgment? I think he's a good player who's got lots of potential that has not been scratched yet.

And menh, woe is me, I didn't look up the split for him. Its very different to play like that in your prime vs. well before it. Stating that Bargnani's ceiling is Okur when he's already able to play at Okur's level at 23 is what I'm going to call bias. Comparing a guy who can mix it up at center vs much of the league to another guy who's mostly just a shooter is pretty misguided as well.

wang4three
07-08-2009, 03:46 PM
If he had consistency with his offense he could be a real nice player for them.

indiefan23
07-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Bosh is the wrong nationality for Toronto.

I think its smart. They've had some issues keeping American players. Antonio Davis was concerned about the educational system in Canada, which is pretty silly, but u know, some players are concerned. TO is pretty ideal for any euro ballers so why not market to people who would want to stay?

BallersTalk
07-08-2009, 03:47 PM
HAHAHAHA. Toronto further ruining their cap.

beasted86
07-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Uh, well I'm not a huge fan... why can't that paragraph just be my unbias judgment? I think he's a good player who's got lots of potential that has not been scratched yet.

And menh, woe is me, I didn't look up the split for him. Its very different to play like that in your prime vs. well before it. Stating that Bargnani's ceiling is Okur when he's already able to play at Okur's level at 23 is what I'm going to call bias. Comparing a guy who can mix it up at center vs much of the league to another guy who's mostly just a shooter is pretty misguided as well.

Well I just think it's pretty ridiculous to base someones career off of what they could only do for 2.5 months, and disregard what they did the previous 2.5 seasons.

Yes, Bargnani has potential... but the homers adamately arguing that Bargnani is "already" worth $10M by looking at the complete body of work in his career so far is just lame.

There's a reason there is a general consensus in this thread that $8M or lower would have been a more reasonable figure.

brwnman
07-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Well I just think it's pretty ridiculous to base someones career off of what they could only do for 2.5 months, and disregard what they did the previous 2.5 seasons.

Yes, Bargnani has potential... but the homers adamately arguing that Bargnani is "already" worth $10M by looking at the complete body of work in his career so far is just lame.

There's a reason there is a general consensus in this thread that $8M or lower would have been a more reasonable figure.

You weren't gonna get him for less than 8 million. The PA wouldn't allow it. #1 overall pic, potential-laden center showing a long stretch where he earns less than what he got the year before? It ain't gonna happen. 10 million is fair for both sides...

indiefan23
07-09-2009, 01:03 AM

Somewhat, Bargnani is not guaranteed, but from what I've always seen he had a totally decent rookie year and then got buried by a coach who was trying to win right now to keep his job and chose that over giving him the time to develop in games. Once they fired Mitchell he picked up 'right' where he left off after his rookie year and played even better.

I don't think anyone is arguing that based on his body of work 'now' he's worth 10 million. 7 or 8, sure. What is reasonable though is anticipating that next season he's going to be featured in the offense, get way more minutes, and have a breakout season. A player breaking out in their 3'rd or 4'th season is pretty typical honestly.

So you have to consider that they gave him an extension. If he continues his season finish and say, goes for 20/7/1.5 bpg with maybe 2-3 dimes (thats a low for everything but points) and shoots 42% (pretty low too IMHO) Bargnani is going to be worth 'much' more then 10 million. He'll be 24 and look like he's finally adjusted to the NBA game like Dirk did after a couple years in Dallas.

Based on that potential his contract would easily be more then 10 million/year. Easily. Realizing that potential, or if even next season he goes off for a serious improvement with 20/10/2, at age 24 resigning him starts to approach max money deals. Could he be a contract year retiree? Yep, its possible, but to be fair its a what if that he gives up after getting paid as much as he continues to improve.

If he makes another leap after signing this contract TO will look positively brilliant and get great value on him. If he doesn't become that high paid type player after 3 years, 10 million a year is not so difficult to move to a team looking to dump salary. They can buy him out for 15 million and clear cap space. Even at 10 million and if Bargnani becomes just a good shooter like Okur, its overpaying, but 10 million to a team looking for a little extra size/shooting as a piece to their playoff run is not unforseeable at all. The Raps just traded Jermaine O'Neal's corpse and max deal to Miami for Marion and his expiring contract. There's no reason an only competent Bargnani would not be able to be moved for 10 million.

Lastly, you've got to consider one other factor. Say Bargnani in 5 years is worth lots more. And he can play anywhere and is making a decision. Like Bosh is making next summer. It 'will' count in Bargnani's decesion when they say "yea, you can go to Indiana, but don't forget that this organization took you first in the draft, fired the coach when people doubted you and then overpaid you in a 5 year extension after only a few months of improved numbers. You can sign where you want, its your decision, but you already live here and we are loyal to you." Stuff like that counts for loads. Its why Dallas lost Nash. Why the Clips lost Brand. Why the Suns might actually keep Nash. And why Lebron might not go to NY. Why Wade only wants a team in contention.

Heh, being a GM is a tricky job. There are so many facets. I just find it all interesting.

Pistol Pete
07-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Bosh is the wrong nationality for Toronto.

As we draft an American out of Compton, California with our 9th overall pick.

This contract will turn out to be a bargain, at worst it's a mediocre deal. If Bargnani averages 19 points, 7 rebounds on solid shooting and continues his development on the defensive side of the ball, he would have wanted a maximum contract, this may seem like overpaying, but given long term progression, it'll likely turn out to be a bargain.

TMAC-RAPTORS
07-09-2009, 02:17 AM
Very nicely said indiefan23 :applause: