PDA

View Full Version : Cavaliers Expected To Sign Anthony Parker

Interminator
07-09-2009, 09:39 AM
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cavaliers are on the verge of making their first free agent signing of the summer.
According to a league source, the team has agreed to the structure of a contract with veteran guard Anthony Parker. The deal is not finalized, but is expected to be completed in the next several days.
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/07/cleveland_cavaliers_close_to_c.html

OK, I thought he would be going to Europe but maybe he wants a NBA Championship.

Meticode
07-09-2009, 09:44 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/07/cleveland_cavaliers_close_to_c.html

OK, I thought he would be going to Europe but maybe he wants a NBA Championship.

The haters are going to laugh at this statement and try to hurt my feelings.

I guess if we can only sign him I guess get him. I'd personally rather have Matt Barnes or Josh Childress, but seeing as we just overpaid for Varejao I guess this is going to have to do.

niko
07-09-2009, 09:58 AM
The haters are going to laugh at this statement and try to hurt my feelings.

I guess if we can only sign him I guess get him. I'd personally rather have Matt Barnes or Josh Childress, but seeing as we just overpaid for Varejao I guess this is going to have to do.

Anyone who discounts the possibility of the Cavs winning a title are ridiculous. I don't think they are favorites, but they are certainly in the top 5 at worst. :confusedshrug:

Lebron23
07-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I have lower expectation for Anthony Parker.

Meticode
07-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Anyone who discounts the possibility of the Cavs winning a title are ridiculous. I don't think they are favorites, but they are certainly in the top 5 at worst. :confusedshrug:

I'm sure some people will pick the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Magic and Denver ahead of them.

Godfather
07-09-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm sure some people will pick the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Magic and Denver ahead of them.

And there will be people to pick the Cavs to win it all as well. What is your point?

Meticode
07-09-2009, 10:16 AM
And there will be people to pick the Cavs to win it all as well. What is your point?

Like I said, the haters will laugh at that statement and try to make me sad. :D

Automajic23
07-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Trying to figure out what problems Anthony Parker solves for us. I guess he helps with our issue of having a small back court. I wouldn't say he's a great scorer or distributor though. Will he be able to increase the Cavs offensive production and our backcourt defense? :ohwell: shrug.

bonez26
07-09-2009, 10:23 AM
I have lower expectation for Anthony Parker.

He's the perfect role player and glue guy. Always knows what to say good veteran presence, plays decent defence and can handle both the PG and SG he will suprise you guys. He was the one player could count on when he was with the Raps. Good luck Parker!

visirale
07-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Haha Cavs fans must be PISSED.

They wanted Ron Artest, Trevor Ariza, McDyess, Rasheed... they get a resigned Varejao and Anthony Parker. What a letdown.

Human Error
07-09-2009, 10:45 AM
I think Anthony Parker is a nice consolation prize. He wouldn't come as expensive as a few big names but he would still fill the Cavaliers' need as a defensive stopper and an occasional scorer from the perimeter. The East is going to be really interesting.

1~Gibson~1
07-09-2009, 10:45 AM

They wanted Ron Artest, Trevor Ariza, McDyess, Rasheed... they get a resigned Varejao and Anthony Parker. What a letdown.
not really. Parker is just underrated. We really did want Artest, Ariza, or Dice though. Ferry didnt even go after Sheed though. i guess he has other plans. Channing Frye maybe??? :confusedshrug:

sergiorodriguez
07-09-2009, 10:46 AM
hes pretty good but also 35 years old. He'd be an excellent backup-but they need a Ronnie Brewer type SG to start-young long and athletic and willing to work on D.

Meticode
07-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Bandwagon fans? Sure they're pissed. True Cleveland fans who have had letdown after letdown? It's nothing new to them.

sergiorodriguez
07-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Like I said, the haters will laugh at that statement and try to make me sad. :D
i dont think they will

Meticode
07-09-2009, 10:49 AM
i dont think they will

Try, but fail like usual for them.

sergiorodriguez
07-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Try, but fail like usual for them.
i dont think anyones attacking you in this thread

Lebron23
07-09-2009, 11:04 AM
He's the perfect role player and glue guy. Always knows what to say good veteran presence, plays decent defence and can handle both the PG and SG he will suprise you guys. He was the one player could count on when he was with the Raps. Good luck Parker!

I hope he turns out to be a solid role player for the Cavs. I know that's he's a very successful player when he played in the Euroleague.

Meticode
07-09-2009, 11:05 AM
i dont think anyones attacking you in this thread

They're scared obviously.

1~Gibson~1
07-09-2009, 11:36 AM
They're scared obviously.
lol. where is niko

magnax1
07-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Wonder if they're going to start him over D west.

niko
07-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Not a bad pickup. He can start, he's taller than what you had and the big guns are off the board, you can't sign people who don't want to sign with you. Plus he played in pressurized enviorments overseas so hopefully he won't get shaky legs in big spots. (Look at Mason for the SPurs. Regular season he was a cold blooded assasin. First few playoff games, so-so. Playoff open jumpers are a different breed.

Maybe they can squeeze a big with the last $2 million.

niko
07-09-2009, 01:09 PM
lol. where is niko

I'm here! This is a good pickup. You can only sign who's available.

:eek: Why should i be afraid of meticode? Is he contagious?

1~Gibson~1
07-09-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm here! This is a good pickup. You can only sign who's available.

:eek: Why should i be afraid of meticode? Is he contagious?
you shouldnt. you just always have something negative to say

danumber88
07-09-2009, 01:13 PM
I hope he turns out to be a solid role player for the Cavs. I know that's he's a very successful player when he played in the Euroleague.

Yeah he was former MVP of the entire league (3 years ago).

Interminator
07-09-2009, 01:14 PM
14 posts and nobody has yet to describe Parker's game.

Parker is one of those underrated pickups that people dont truly appreciate because they never watched him play, Parker has range, a high basketball IQ, and can handle the ball, the only problems with him is that hes an average athlete and struggles defensively in man to man.

niko
07-09-2009, 01:15 PM
you shouldnt. you just always have something negative to say

:confusedshrug: i wanted the cavs to get Shaq at the trading deadline. Everyone said ITS NOT NECESSARY, FERRY DID EVERYTHING HE COULD, BLAH BLAH BLAH. Then a few months later you get Shaq and all of you cream your pants. I wanted you to sign Varajao. Cav fans on this board almost unanimously did not unless he could be cheap. :no:

I see no need for panic moves. You want the first person offered to you each time. You use all your chips now, at the trading deadline when one of these huge stars is available you won't have anything to move.

danumber88
07-09-2009, 01:18 PM
struggles defensively in man to man.

Not true. He is solid and can keep up with the star SG's on a nightly basis but I'm not going to overrate him because hes not a lockdown defender. He is not a struggle on the defensive side, he's just solid. The only downfall is the dude is really old.

magnax1
07-09-2009, 01:21 PM
The only real bad thing about this is Parker is already on the down turn. His stats have already started to go down, and hes not very athletic. Is this for sure that they are going to sign him?

1~Gibson~1
07-09-2009, 01:22 PM
:confusedshrug: i wanted the cavs to get Shaq at the trading deadline. Everyone said ITS NOT NECESSARY, FERRY DID EVERYTHING HE COULD, BLAH BLAH BLAH. Then a few months later you get Shaq and all of you cream your pants. I wanted you to sign Varajao. Cav fans on this board almost unanimously did not unless he could be cheap. :no:

I see no need for panic moves. You want the first person offered to you each time. You use all your chips now, at the trading deadline when one of these huge stars is available you won't have anything to move.Ferry doesnt want that either. He loves our team chemistry and he doesnt want to disrupt that so he wants to get our team together this off-season and only make minor moves at the deadline.

and what do you mean we didnt want to re-sign him? mostly non-cavs fans didnt want him. any cavs fan can tell you how important he is to this team, and news flash, HE ISNT WORTH A BIG CONTRACT so hell yea i wanted to sign him for cheap.

Interminator
07-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Not true. He is solid and can keep up with the star SG's on a nightly basis but I'm not going to overrate him because hes not a lockdown defender. He is not a struggle on the defensive side, he's just solid. The only downfall is the dude is really old.
OK, but hes not a good man defender.

I watched him a few times last season and he couldn't guard Randy Foye at all, Foye at him up last season.

He guarded Mayo well though when I watched, not sure of the actual stats though.

niko
07-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Ferry doesnt want that either. He loves our team chemistry and he doesnt want to disrupt that so he wants to get our team together this off-season and only make minor moves at the deadline.

and what do you mean we didnt want to re-sign him? mostly non-cavs fans didnt want him. any cavs fan can tell you how important he is to this team, and news flash, HE ISNT WORTH A BIG CONTRACT so hell yea i wanted to sign him for cheap.

Sorry, not most cav fans - this board. It was basically, F*** HIM, let him walk. Sign and trade him for a guard, etc. The Varajeo thread before was Mikael saying people were nuts and everyone else saying Varajeo was this overrated piece os ****. No exaggeration.

1~Gibson~1
07-09-2009, 01:24 PM
The only real bad thing about this is Parker is already on the down turn. His stats have already started to go down, and hes not very athletic. Is this for sure that they are going to sign him?
yep

The Cavaliers are closing in on signing Anthony Parker to a two-year deal, just under $6 million, according to a Tweet from Ric Bucher.

beasted86
07-09-2009, 01:25 PM
He's just a replacement for Sasha Pavlovic and/or Wally Sczerbiak.

I don't understand why some Cavs fans want to make this a bigger deal than it really is. His defense is okay, better than both of those two, but nothing special.

Overall it was just a replacement, this isn't some extensive upgrade like some people are trying to play it up to be.

Interminator
yep
2/$12 Million for Parker or 2/$6 Million?

1~Gibson~1
Sorry, not most cav fans - this board. It was basically, F*** HIM, let him walk. Sign and trade him for a guard, etc. The Varajeo thread before was Mikael saying people were nuts and everyone else saying Varajeo was this overrated piece os ****. No exaggeration.S&T-ing him for a guard wouldve been a good move too. but i only thought that was a good idea becuase i didnt think he'd want to come off of the bench, i never didnt want him back though.

1~Gibson~1
07-09-2009, 01:28 PM
2/$12 Million for Parker or 2/$6 Million?
2/6. it cant be 2/12 because the MLE is only 5.8

Scottish Pippen
07-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Parker will probably not have an important contribution to the team throughout the regular season, but the Cavs could find him useful come playoff time, specially against guys like Kobe and Carter, who they could easily face. I don't think they want to have Lebron guarding those guys the whole game, and they don't have many more options.

Interminator
07-09-2009, 01:29 PM
2/6. it cant be 2/12 because the MLE is only 5.8
Well he said just under $6 Million.:confusedshrug:

Wouldnt that be the MLE?

1~Gibson~1
07-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Well he said just under $6 Million.:confusedshrug:

Wouldnt that be the MLE?
6 million over 2 years though. so under 3 million per year. he's saying that it's 6 million TOTAL.

niko
07-09-2009, 01:34 PM
He's just a replacement for Sasha Pavlovic and/or Wally Sczerbiak.

I don't understand why some Cavs fans want to make this a bigger deal than it really is. His defense is okay, better than both of those two, but nothing special.

Overall it was just a replacement, this isn't some extensive upgrade like some people are trying to play it up to be.
Those players were bad pickups because they were terrified of their own shadows. Parker is not. They had the tools to succeed, just couldn't. Did you see Wally against Orlando?

lolwut
Lebron = gone.

A.M.G.
Uh, Parker was being offered $7 million per in Europe, I kinda think the Cavs are spending their entire MLE for two years, just under $12 million total.

Hey, if I'm wrong, Parker must feel financially secure and want to stay in North America.

1~Gibson~1
07-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Uh, Parker was being offered $7 million per in Europe, I kinda think the Cavs are spending their entire MLE for two years, just under $12 million total.

Hey, if I'm wrong, Parker must feel financially secure and want to stay in North America.
no. it's a shade under 6 million over 2 years.

Al Thornton
07-09-2009, 06:51 PM
hes pretty good but also 35 years old. He'd be an excellent backup-but they need a Ronnie Brewer type SG to start-young long and athletic and willing to work on D.

:eek: had no idea he was that old

1~Gibson~1
07-09-2009, 06:58 PM
AP is 34

All Net
07-09-2009, 07:01 PM
So Cavs add a 37 year old Shaq and a 34 year old Parker? helps them becoming better than this past season but hardly the answer for Lebron to stick around.

1~Gibson~1
07-09-2009, 07:32 PM
So Cavs add a 37 year old Shaq and a 34 year old Parker? helps them becoming better than this past season but hardly the answer for Lebron to stick around.getting shaq was better than letting those 2 contracts expire for nothing :rolleyes:

All Net
07-09-2009, 07:51 PM
getting shaq was better than letting those 2 contracts expire for nothing :rolleyes:

I even said it was a good move, Cavs will be better this year but sadly for the Cavs this summer the moves Cavs have made havn't exactly given Lebron reason to be really confident about staying longterm.

OneMoreSucka
07-09-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't really understand this signing, I always thought Anthony Parker was pretty worthless. He was on my fantasy team two years ago, anyway.

1~Gibson~1
07-09-2009, 08:05 PM
I don't really understand this signing, I always thought Anthony Parker was pretty worthless. He was on my fantasy team two years ago, anyway.
he's a good shooter, and he'll stretch the floor well for shaq. he's also a good defender.

we should've went after barnes though before settling for him, but at least we still have part of the MLE and the whole BAE left :confusedshrug:

cavsfanatic
07-09-2009, 08:31 PM
he's a good shooter, and he'll stretch the floor well for shaq. he's also a good defender.

we should've went after barnes though before settling for him, but at least we still have part of the MLE and the whole BAE left :confusedshrug:
Barnes would have been a failure

niko
07-09-2009, 09:12 PM

How much is the BAE? If you can guarantee it for 2 years why not go after Barnes?

1~Gibson~1
07-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Barnes would have been a failureno he wouldnt have. He's basically a Trevor Ariza/James Posey type of player except he isnt on a contending team.

1~Gibson~1
07-09-2009, 09:18 PM
How much is the BAE? If you can guarantee it for 2 years why not go after Barnes?
around 2 million i think. IDK why we didnt get him. Maybe he didnt want to come here because lebron might leave, or maybe Ferry didnt want him all that much :confusedshrug: Dont really know.

sixer6ad
07-09-2009, 09:25 PM
around 2 million i think. IDK why we didnt get him. Maybe he didnt want to come here because lebron might leave, or maybe Ferry didnt want him all that much :confusedshrug: Dont really know.

Shaq + Parker + Frye

The big question? Could any of those players helped solve the problem(s) the Cavs faced against Orlando? If so...then the pickups are positive. Not one of these players was in uniform during the best season in franchise history. We added value and kept basically every player who produced this summer. More importantly...we kept in tact the plan for next summer. LeBron will be getting real help. Mark my word.

Molson
07-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Parker has slowed down a bit since he first signed with the Raps so at times his D has suffered. However, he is a good role player and a bargain at 3M a year for a team trying to win it all. He understands the game, understands his role, takes good shots, doesn't really do anything stupid with the ball, he is calm under pressure, he is not a great defender and has slowed a bit but can guard most guys, he just has a probelm with quicker guys, he is a good shooter, can hit the three. I mean there is nothing spectacular about him, but he is solid and won't mess any chemistry up.

This is not a deal that is going to make a huge impact or change the dynamics of the team. It's just a role player and a decent one at that. They are getting a mature basketball player. Overall a good signing at that price for a team looking to add veterans to take a run at it all.

OneMoreSucka
07-09-2009, 09:52 PM
no he wouldnt have. He's basically a Trevor Ariza/James Posey type of player except he isnt on a contending team.
I agree, I'm hoping the Nugs snatch him before the Cavs :pimp:

1~Gibson~1
07-09-2009, 09:54 PM
I agree, I'm hoping the Nugs snatch him before the Cavs :pimp:
i think it's too late for the cavs to snatch him now. we already have Parker so we're probably not that interested in him and we only have around 2.8 mill to sign him as to where other teams still have the full mle (5.8 mill) to use on him. and with that 2.8 we'll probably sign a PF.

1~Gibson~1
07-09-2009, 10:07 PM
This is the only thing i think of when i hear the name Anthony Parker :pimp:

Anthony Parker: Game-Tying 3pter at the buzzer against Washington (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQXaULLaQSE&feature=player_embedded)

Kingwillball
07-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Parker is a solid player not the big splash that Artest or Ariza would have been but he can play and is an upgrade over Sasha and Wally. Cavs if they don't do another trade of some sort will probably still get one more player probably a PF like Frye ? If that is how things play out One of the top 3 or 4 teams in the NBA still got better quietly.

CosaNostra
07-10-2009, 12:57 AM
nice signing for the Cavs... they now have the big guard they lacked last year... Parker will give them some defense off the bench. Delonte is a good defensive player but he can't body up against players like Parker can. Damn, all the power teams just keep reloading.

Cavs2007Champs
07-10-2009, 05:29 AM
Like others have said, this is just a solid pick up.

The Cavs are basically filling out their roster.

From here the Cavs could be a much better team, as oppossed to last year, if they gel and build chemistry together.

I think Ferry and management are paranoid about making moves during the season. As we saw 2 Trade deadlines ago, they made the big deal for West/Wallace/Smith/Wally and they had just a few months to getl before playoff time, and they did good together, but they could have been better in those Playoffs.

I like how the FO have made their big moves during the Off-Season allowing the coaching staff and players to adjust.

It will be interesting if the Mike Brown actually implements anything new. I know it would be ground breaking, especially if the did it on the offensive end.

I definitely love Parker over Wally and Pavlovic.

If Z and Parker can produce from the bench, and the Cavs can get one more off the bench to contribute, whether a young guy produces, or they sign another player, they will have one hell of a lineup.

Meticode
07-10-2009, 05:41 AM
Like others have said, this is just a solid pick up.

The Cavs are basically filling out their roster.

From here the Cavs could be a much better team, as oppossed to last year, if they gel and build chemistry together.

I think Ferry and management are paranoid about making moves during the season. As we saw 2 Trade deadlines ago, they made the big deal for West/Wallace/Smith/Wally and they had just a few months to getl before playoff time, and they did good together, but they could have been better in those Playoffs.

I like how the FO have made their big moves during the Off-Season allowing the coaching staff and players to adjust.

It will be interesting if the Mike Brown actually implements anything new. I know it would be ground breaking, especially if the did it on the offensive end.

I definitely love Parker over Wally and Pavlovic.

If Z and Parker can produce from the bench, and the Cavs can get one more off the bench to contribute, whether a young guy produces, or they sign another player, they will have one hell of a lineup.

I think Z will be solid off the bench at least offensively. He'll probably manage somewhere around 18-20MPG I'm guessing. He'll be fresh. I think Hickson is the key though if he's going to end up being our backup PF. He's has to have a solid sophomore season. He showed he can be bone-headed in the game with mistakes (Odom-esque), but he was solid for what playing time he got...

11.4 MPG
52% FG%
67% FT%
2.7 APG
.48 BPG
4.0 PPG

...I'm guessing this season he'll improve upon these numbers.

Molson
07-10-2009, 09:57 AM
This is the only thing i think of when i hear the name Anthony Parker :pimp:

Anthony Parker: Game-Tying 3pter at the buzzer against Washington (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQXaULLaQSE&feature=player_embedded)

Vintage Parker right there. Hits a huge shot, gets a little happy, strolls back to the bench, gives a couple of high 5's and gets ready for OT.

He did that for the Raptors a lot. Whenever they needed to break a dry spell, or needed a big shot, or had to break another team's run, Parker was a guy that you always felt comfortable giving the ball to. He didn't always hit them, but you never felt like it was a waste of a possession. He's just a guy who knows when to step up and knows when to stay in the background.

It's good to see him getting some love on this board. Cleveland fans are going to appreciate what he brings to the table. Perfect compliment to a team making a championship run at a great price.

Rekindled
07-10-2009, 10:47 AM
shoulda signed his sister instead

darius15
07-10-2009, 01:39 PM
I haven't see too much of him, so do you guys know if he can defend the pick and roll well? If he can, that solves a big problem for Cleveland.

Lebron23
07-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Delonte West would no longer play more than 42 mpg in the playoffs because Parker is a good backup SG.