PDA

View Full Version : How do you defend a bigger, taller guy posting up on you?

tgan3
07-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Im only 5'9 in normal shoes. Usually one of the smallest guys on the court. Therefore, most of the times I get posted up when playing against bigger and better competition.

Just wondering is there anyway to stop the post guy. Cause it seems quite impossible. Though my friend taught me to stick the elbow out on him and keep low which would work.

LevisJeans
07-14-2009, 11:32 PM
You're 5'9" and you play center on your team? Or are you talking about playing pickup games? If you're that size you have no reason to be in the post. You should be playing guard and playing at the perimeter.

tgan3
07-14-2009, 11:51 PM
You're 5'9" and you play center on your team? Or are you talking about playing pickup games? If you're that size you have no reason to be in the post. You should be playing guard and playing at the perimeter.

No, im just playing recreationally pick up games. Its usually man to man, therefore sometimes i end myself up in the post.

NotYetGreat
07-15-2009, 02:28 AM
If it's man and you're one of the smallest guys in the court, what are you doing being in the paint, man? Take your (proper) man and defend him. However, I'm roughly the same height as you, and in my village, I'm usually the tallest already. Just remember to not be afraid to make contact. I don't mean shoving him and stuff. Just nudge him a little and let him know that you won't back down. Don't lean in too much. Lean in too much and he can quickly take advantage of that. Also be quick on your feet, yet try to keep him from going as deep in as he can.

1manfastbreak
07-15-2009, 02:43 AM
foul him.

Chalkmaze
07-15-2009, 03:09 AM
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/295721/playing_basketball_naked_has_advantages/

iamgine
07-15-2009, 04:58 AM
Well you can't cover him 1 on 1. You can trap him one way while your friend rotate to help. Ain't happening in pick up game though.

Grinder
07-15-2009, 08:27 AM
Don't allow position, and/or front him. If you've got help on the weakside, try to steal the entry pass. If he's posting you off the dribble, stay low and don't allow him to back you down and then contest well.

MannyO
07-15-2009, 09:35 AM
you have to play him up harass his dribble and weak hand, make him play reckless. You will either get the steal because you have a lower center of gravity or he will probably turn it over on his own. Also get in his head, frustrate him make him play out of control.

Automajic23
07-15-2009, 09:47 AM
annoy him every time he comes to the block. keep him out of the paint as much as possible by denying position and fronting him, get him frustrated. If you push him enough, in a pick up game he should eventually call quits on the post and settle playing from the outside. OR he'll get really mad and start trying things he might not be good at like attacking you face up, trying to cross you over, etc. In this case... cookies! cookies!

HylianNightmare
07-15-2009, 02:39 PM
front him on the entry pass, swipe that ball, don't be afraid to mix it up a bit, make him work for his position down low

NotYetGreat
07-16-2009, 10:21 PM
foul him.

If he's not a good shooter.

supersmashbros
07-17-2009, 05:32 PM
If you have better foot work, agility, and hops you shouldn't have too much difficulty defending against a slightly taller, bigger guy.

1manfastbreak
07-17-2009, 06:06 PM
If he's not a good shooter

well if its a pick up game might as well, no penalty for fouls. but if its an officated game then your best bet is to front /deny the entry pass, but you must have weakside help, like said before.

just gotta stand your ground, this is a lose-lose situation.

NotYetGreat
07-18-2009, 02:16 AM
well if its a pick up game might as well, no penalty for fouls. but if its an officated game then your best bet is to front /deny the entry pass, but you must have weakside help, like said before.

just gotta stand your ground, this is a lose-lose situation.

Damn. I forgot I was in the streetball section. :hammerhead:

tgan3
07-19-2009, 10:18 AM
If it's man and you're one of the smallest guys in the court, what are you doing being in the paint, man? Take your (proper) man and defend him. However, I'm roughly the same height as you, and in my village, I'm usually the tallest already. Just remember to not be afraid to make contact. I don't mean shoving him and stuff. Just nudge him a little and let him know that you won't back down. Don't lean in too much. Lean in too much and he can quickly take advantage of that. Also be quick on your feet, yet try to keep him from going as deep in as he can.

You know running and cutting through the lane? even if i follow him, the pg would throw a high pass that he would be able to catch. then he would be in the post and post me up.

NotYetGreat
07-20-2009, 03:10 AM
You know running and cutting through the lane? even if i follow him, the pg would throw a high pass that he would be able to catch. then he would be in the post and post me up.

Well, be active. Usually what I do. Be overly annoying to deny him position. Works for me. I may not be helping you too much though. Sorry if I'm being unclear. :(

ZMonkey11
07-27-2009, 06:01 PM
When I'm in a pick up game and I get stuck on a mismatch (I'm 5'7", almost every match up is a mismatch), I know the postup is coming.

What I've learned to do is hold my ground beginning at the three point line. Deny entry into the paint. So when they do establish position, they will be two or three feet from where they want to usually post. This way, as he tries to back you down, you can usually get some type of help defense at a certain point. You just gotta remember to communicate and swallow your pride.

Don't try to do it yourself, if you need help, let your teammates know. Hopefully the person your defending won't be a great passer.

HylianNightmare
10-06-2009, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=brownarrayzx][url=http://isedouh.977mb.com/45.html]

Lancerballer21
10-07-2009, 09:41 PM
annoy him every time he comes to the block. keep him out of the paint as much as possible by denying position and fronting him, get him frustrated. If you push him enough, in a pick up game he should eventually call quits on the post and settle playing from the outside. OR he'll get really mad and start trying things he might not be good at like attacking you face up, trying to cross you over, etc. In this case... cookies! cookies!

Yeah dude i agree. Do the little things... tug his shirt a little, step on the heels of his shoes. When i played ball in middle school i was 5'7" and i had to cover kids that were 6'1", so i learned tons of little baby ways to cheat, and although it doesn't help you dominate, you frustrate the hell out of the guy you're covering.