PDA

View Full Version : Playing someone stronger than you.

Automajic23
07-16-2009, 02:07 PM
I think everyone has had the matchup problem of having to play someone bigger and stronger than them before, and just because they are does not mean you will be beaten! Basketball is not a game just for the brawn, otherwise many football players and 300lbers would be playing everyday on a regular basis. If someone is stronger than you, to overcome this you must be faster and smarter, using technique, footwork, and positioning to take away the fact that he is stronger/bigger.

A stronger player is not invincible. Take away what you can do better from him. Make him play to his weaknesses and things he would rather not do.

Example: I practice at my gym with guys bigger than me all the time. These 2 white guys who thought they could walk on me and my friend because they were bigger soon found themselves getting smoked in 2on2 games because we did not let them post up within 5 feet of the hoop, and go figure they had no jumpshot and cringed everytime they had an opportunity to shoot one.

Establish a strong base. Feet shoulder with apart ore a little more, knees slightly bent. Most of your strength will come from your lower body. You must do this ALL the time, otherwise you may get caught off guard and get overpowered by the stronger man who doesn't need to do these things so much. When boxing out, jockeying for position in the paint, always establish your athletic stance.
Keep them further away from the basket than they want. Get position in the spots they like to go to first. If they have to shove and push you to get to the low post, that is a foul. In pickup games it might fly, but not in a game with refs. (It can be a pain when people don't know the game I know). But positioning is everything. If you do not let them get to the position where they like to score, then their size is no longer much of a problem. If you box them out and beat them to spots on the court, then they will have to push/shove/foul you to get to the post and/or grab rebounds.

Remember guarding a bigger/stronger man is all about position. DONT BE INTIMIDATED. If you take away the things he likes (being close to the hoop) you will greatly limit his impact in the game.

NotYetGreat
07-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Good post. Being one of the youngest whenever I play pick-up ball, I used to get pushed around. One day, I just told myself I'll do the pushing here (sounds kinda gay if you misinterpret it, I know). I'm still undersized and stuff as I'm 5'9 but only floating around 140 lbs, but I can now defend bigger guys in the paint with confidence. Good post and I hope others learn too. :cheers: