PDA

View Full Version : Official MMA Thread

fatboy11
10-16-2006, 12:11 AM
UFC, Pride, K-1, Cage Rage, KOTC, doesn't matter. If it's MMA, talk about it here.

So I just found out that Dean Lister/Nathan Marquardt is confirmed for UFC 66 in December. Looks be a #1 contender-type match. I like Nate to end this thing on the feet.

cyco127
10-16-2006, 04:22 PM
So who one the Franklin / Silva fight?

fatboy11
10-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Anderson Silva by total Maui Thay domination. Battered Franklin's ribs/mid section with knees and lowered the boom on his face. Franklin's nose was horribly broken and crooked after the fight.

I must say, it was a pathetic display by Franklin considering the fact that he was the #1 ranked MW in the world at the time.

cyco127
10-16-2006, 04:47 PM
I had a feeling Silva would take this one... Thanks for the info.

Zombles
10-17-2006, 03:18 PM
No one is talking about it but Sherk-Florian was a blood-bath. Good fight, both are tough sonsof*****es.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/pictures.asp?pic_id=37134&n_id=5884&my_page=7&my_title=Sean%20Sherk%20vs.%20Kenny%20Florian

fatboy11
10-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Pride Update

Mark Hunt is off the Real Deal card. He was supposed to fight Butterbean in a boxing match. He has been replaced by former WWE wrestler Sean O'Haire.

Marvin Eastman is also off the card. He was set to face Nakamura, but the WFA threatened to sue him if he fought on the Pride card. He's going to be fighting Rampage in December for the WFA, though. Apparently, he's under contract with both orgs.

Also, it appears Fujita won't be fighting as well. I say let Fujita and Hunt throw down.

IamtheWalrus
10-17-2006, 03:55 PM
from mmaweekly.com

HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION (over 205 pounds)

#1 Heavyweight Fighter in the World: Fedor Emelianenko

2. Mirko Cro Cop

3. Josh Barnett

4. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

5. Tim Sylvia

6. Andrei Arlovski

7. Aleksander Emelianenko

8. Fabricio Werdum

9. Mark Hunt

10. Sergei Kharitonov

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION (205-pound limit)

#1 Light Heavyweight Fighter in the World: Chuck Liddell

2. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua

3. Wanderlei Silva

4. Ricardo Arona

5. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

6. Renato "Babalu" Sobral

7. Tito Ortiz

8. Quinton Jackson

9. Alistair Overeem

10. Kazuhiro Nakamura

MIDDLEWEIGHT DIVISION (185-pound limit)

#1 Middleweight Fighter in the World: Matt Lindland

2. Anderson Silva

3. Rich Franklin

4. Paulo Filho

5. Dan Henderson

6. Denis Kang

7. Jeremy Horn

8. Kazuo Misaki

9. Nathan Marquardt

10. Amar Suloev

WELTERWEIGHT DIVISION (170-pound limit)

#1 Welterweight Fighter in the World: Matt Hughes

2. Georges St. Pierre

3. BJ Penn

4. Diego Sanchez

5. Karo Parisyan

6. Jake Shields

7. Jon Fitch

8. Akira Kikuchi

9. Nick Diaz

10. Joe Riggs

LIGHTWEIGHT DIVISION (160 pounds and lower)

#1 Lightweight Fighter in the World: Takanori Gomi

2. Hayato Sakurai

3. Tatsuya Kawajiri

4. Joachim Hansen

5. Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto

6. Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro

7. Marcus Aurelio

8. Mitsuhiro Ishida

9. Sean Sherk

10. Gilbert Melendez

eveyone from the MW from UFC are killing the pride fighters. But the pride fighters own the HW and the LW

fatboy11
10-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Lindland #1 at MW, huh? I'm surprised that Fihlo isn't rated higher than Franklin right now. He has every right to be.

I think Nate Marquardt will take the strap from Anderson Silva.

craigthomasb
10-17-2006, 06:43 PM
ricky "the hitman" hatton = the best

raiderfan19
10-17-2006, 07:42 PM
on the franklin fight, yes he got his ass kicked, no question, but that was just a case of him getting rocked. He was already rocked once he got clenched and it was pretty damn impressive that it took him so far to go down for good. Silva definitely deserves to be ranked higher now(i mean after that ass kicking how could he not be) but I wouldnt be suprised to see Rick beat him if they fought again.

Im not sure I want to see hughes move up like he said he might. I really dont see him beating Silva and I love Hughes so I would hate to see him move up just to get his ass kicked. Oh well, im SO ready to see FEDOR fight again. I would say flat out he would destroy anyone but i want to see if they layoff has changed him any first. That said I still expect domination from him. I generally do like UFC better than pride because I think they do a better marketing job but its just sad that so many UFC fans have never seen this guy fight. Hes a BEAST.

fatboy11
10-17-2006, 08:04 PM
ricky "the hitman" hatton = the bestThis isn't the offical boxing thread, homie.

Bye.

fatboy11
10-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Im not sure I want to see hughes move up like he said he might. I really dont see him beating Silva and I love Hughes so I would hate to see him move up just to get his ass kicked. Oh well, im SO ready to see FEDOR fight again. I would say flat out he would destroy anyone but i want to see if they layoff has changed him any first. That said I still expect domination from him. I generally do like UFC better than pride because I think they do a better marketing job but its just sad that so many UFC fans have never seen this guy fight. Hes a BEAST.They've done a good job of getting the UFC and MMA out there in the mainstream in this country, but they are waaay over-doing it now. Too much promotion, too many commercials. I mean, why the fu*k are they riddling the PPVs with commercials? We paid 40 dollars to watch that show. Put that sh!t on the Spike shows.

And start signing some better fighters for crying out loud. Some guys that can step in and throw down for titles RIGHT NOW (like Anderson Silva). They've done a great job of signing young talent both off the street and through the reality show, but they need to be bringing in the Heath Herrings and Rampage Jacksons of the world.

And bring back Matt Lindland, god damnit.

TMacsOneGoodEye
10-17-2006, 08:41 PM
UFC's good at marketing to the ignorant, redneck, wwf watching american fans. That's the audience they go for cause that audience doesn't care if a fighter is holding up a xyience soft drink can win or lose, and only thanks his sponsors and doesn't even give any insight, look at nascar. I only watch it cause they got some really good fighters.

But day by day I start realizing how Pride is 100% better than UFC. I too was ignorant I guess.

That said, I'm really upset that Fujita and Mark Hunt aernt on the card anymore. Their fights were two of the ones I was looking forward to the most.

I got the UFC 64 free cause it started screwing up on my PPV and I called directv and I guess it was happening to everyone and they gave it to me for free. So I don't mind paying for Pride and getting UFC free. Not at all. The way it should be.

Zombles
10-17-2006, 09:04 PM
The greatest accomplishment of Fujita's career is punching Fedor.

Once.

fatboy11
10-17-2006, 09:08 PM
The greatest accomplishment of Fujita's career is punching Fedor.

Once.But damn was that a punch.

It took the MMA world's collective breath away for a second.

hateraid
10-18-2006, 02:23 AM
I'm banking on Vitor's comeback. His ground game is up to par and still has the handspeed.

fatboy11
10-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Looks like Pedro Rizzo is returning to action against Heath Herring at the December WFA show.

Should be an exciting fight even though Rizzo is kinda washed up.

IamtheWalrus
10-18-2006, 06:07 PM
hey fatboy...you going to order bushido 13

its much better than real deal

fatboy11
10-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I'm going to order it.

I'm very let down by this North American offering by Pride. It'll be good to see Fedor fight again and the Shogon/Randleman and Vitor/Hendo fights should be fun to watch, but still very lackluster.

Bushido will be "the Real Deal".

Who do you think will take the GP?

I think Filho will.

IamtheWalrus
10-18-2006, 06:12 PM
i'm not really sure...i didn't really follow that card.

hey let me ask you something

should i get that pride gp 2000....

saku fought royce for 1 1/2 hours...i heard he just played cat and mouse with him....fight any good?

fatboy11
10-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Haven't seen it.

I'm still working on my Pride collection.

Zombles
10-18-2006, 07:02 PM
The Saku-Royce fight is a little boring. For a true grappling classic check out Saku-Newton. Those guys put on a clinique on rolling.

About the GP, Filho-Kang in the final. Kang takes it by UD. Filho cannot stand with him and I don't see either one sinking a submission.

fatboy11
10-18-2006, 07:03 PM
I think Kang is all hype at the moment. Well, not all hype but I think he is overhyped. Could be wrong, but Filho is a beast.

Zombles
10-18-2006, 07:22 PM
It's funny because I feel the same way about Filho.

One thing that most impresses me about Kang is how poorly his MMA career started out. Guy was sub-.500 after his first fifteen fights with most of those losses coming by submission. He hasn't lost since, and has become one of the better submission guys at that weight. He has a ton of heart, learns from his mistakes, and has been tested. Not sure you can say that about Filho yet.

I see Kang-Filho going a lot how Shogun-Lil Nog went. Defensive boxing and only being able to finish an opponent with submissions just isn't enough to be the best of a Pride weight class anymore. I feel BTT is starting to fall behind the times.

fatboy11
10-18-2006, 07:30 PM
Filho has beaten Minowa, Yuki Kondo, Shoji twice (4 years ago so Shoji was better), Matsui, Amar Suloev, Sakurai, Ninja Rua, and Ryo Chonan. There was very good wins in that group.

His run has been easily more impressive than Kang's, IMO. His two most notable wins were against Ninja and Suloev, who Filho also beat.

Zombles
10-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Filho's had better competition than Kang, sure, but the vast majority of the guys you mentioned are past their prime, or B-level fighters with a lot of losses on their record, and precious few wins against Pride's A-class fighters. So it's not like he's had great competition either.

And it should be noted Kang handled Ninja and Suloev more easily than Filho did.

But I guess this will all get decided November 5th.

as a side note, it looks like B.J. Penn tore some abdominable muscles in the fight with Hughes that diminished his breathing capacity. Gotta wonder how that fight turns out without the freak injury

Zombles
10-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Three hour special on Spike tonight, UFC's best of 2005.

Best Damn Sports Show doing an hour long Pride show as well.

fatboy11
10-26-2006, 06:17 PM
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=2841&zoneid=13

Vitor Belfort and Pawel Nastula got popped for doping at the "Real Deal".

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=2837&zoneid=13

And Randy Couture is returning to action in a submission match against Jacare Souza.

TMacsOneGoodEye
11-23-2006, 02:13 PM
So what are your guys nominations for fight of the year? I say we nominate five and then pick the best out of those 5.

My top 5 are in no order .

Cro Cop/Wandy II
Karo/Diego
Big Nog/Barnett
Scott Smith/Pete Sell
GSP/Hughes.

embersyc
11-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Is there a good torrent site for MMA?

I can usually find the bigger UFC events on torrent spy, but dammit I want to start watching more of the different leagues.

Finally saw UFC 65, holy **** Hughes was totally owned.

fatboy11
11-23-2006, 02:32 PM
I'll eliminate Sell/Smith because I couldn't stand all the high fiving and hugging during the match. That's just me, though.

Karo/Diego was a very good fight. As was Nog/Barnett.

GSP/Hughes wasn't really a good fight because it was so one-sided, but it was still highly entertaining.

That leaves Cro Cop/Wandy. That's my favorite because I was hyped up on Cro Cop going into the finals of the OWGP. It was like he just took on all of Pride that night. It was awesome.

TMacsOneGoodEye
11-23-2006, 02:51 PM
ember, you can watch alot of fights at dailymotion.com. It's like youtube but hasent been infiltrated by the suits yet (keyword yet). Don't know anywhere to DL events if I did I wouldn't be here right now cause I have alot of catchig up to do since I've only been following MMA for about 9 months.

I loved the high fiving in the Smith/Sell fight. I thought it was great and highly entertaining.

And GSP/Hughes MIGHT be my favorite fight of the year just on account of GSP winning. If there is ever any fighter who has paid their dues and deserved the title it would be GSP. The guy got his shot and got dominated because he was so young and so enamored by the great Matt Hughes, he worked, and worked and got another rematch and learned from his mistakes and wasn't so enamored anymore and totally dominated the great Matt Hughes who doesn't get dominated. It might just be the newness of the bout taking place because I felt the same way about Wandy/Cro Cop II and Franklin/Silva the whole week after they happened.

I really think Josh Barnett should take Shockwave off. He's one of the only guys in all of MMA who has an inkling of a chance of beating Fedor and he'll get his shot after Cro Cop next year but he's fought like six times this year and I'm sure he's gonna wanna fight at the Feb USA show and he's really gonna have to pick either Dec. or Feb. to fight. He's crazy if he picks both.

embersyc
11-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the info TMacs I'll check it out.

Ricardo Tubbs
11-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Is there a good torrent site for MMA?

I can usually find the bigger UFC events on torrent spy, but dammit I want to start watching more of the different leagues.

If you go on youtube, there are tons of Shooto matches, because they're not copyrighted here. Their rules are a bit different and it's really just lighter weights, but it is simply the purest, most grassroots MMA organization there is. Pride Bushido is basically just MegaShooto, because tons of guys there are from Shooto.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p51t6ZKwK2Q
^the most bad ass video by an MMA org ever

You can actually watch all Pride and K-1/Hero's events live and for free if you've got Sopcast.

You gotta watch it at like 3AM, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Oh, and fight of the year: Crocop

TMacsOneGoodEye
11-23-2006, 03:50 PM
You think Cro Cop could have beaten Fedor that night?

I'd give it 50/50.

sunsfan1357
11-23-2006, 03:53 PM
You think Cro Cop could have beaten Fedor that night?

I'd give it 50/50.

Cro Cop is a legit threat to beat Fedor any night. He damn near had him when they did fight. Lucky for us Mirko (who is my favorite fighter) won the OWGP because I believe he stated that if he didn't he probably would have retired from fighting.

TMacsOneGoodEye
11-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Cro Cop is a legit threat to beat Fedor any night. He damn near had him when they did fight. Lucky for us Mirko (who is my favorite fighter) won the OWGP because I believe he stated that if he didn't he probably would have retired from fighting.

Yeah, I remember hearing he was gonna retire if he didn't win the OWGP. And I don't think he was close to winning the first fight. Fedor was pretty much having his way with him and it was STANDING which was amazing. Fedor gameplan was to crowd Cro Cop and always stay close and give him no room to throw the LHK. It's pretty crazy how good that stragey worked.

But the night Mirko won the OWGP I don't think anyone could beat him. Not even Fedor.

Ricardo Tubbs
11-23-2006, 04:07 PM
I think the losses to Hunt and Fedor got Crocop's ass in motion and are what changed his style. Rather than just being the usual counterpunching, LHK-throwing backseat fighter he usually is, he became the aggressive, forward-moving fighter we all wished he was.

He finally realized what he has to do to be at his best, just a shame it took like half a decade to realize it.

Zombles
11-23-2006, 04:20 PM
So what are your guys nominations for fight of the year? I say we nominate five and then pick the best out of those 5.

My top 5 are in no order .

Cro Cop/Wandy II
Karo/Diego
Big Nog/Barnett
Scott Smith/Pete Sell
GSP/Hughes.

I agree with Fatboy on Sell/Smith, too much high-fiving, not even enough crisp striking.

I'd replace that with Kang-Misaki. Great fight, both guys got in trouble standing, and both had serious submission attempts; one of which almost ended the fight. Add in Kang losing his fiance a couple months before, being pretty heavily injured, but still fighting, and you have something special.

Other then that the list looks good.

Ricardo Tubbs
11-23-2006, 04:24 PM
You know, if we're just talking about crazy ass fights, then Sakuraba

TMacsOneGoodEye
11-23-2006, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=Ricardo Tubbs]You know, if we're just talking about crazy ass fights, then Sakuraba

embersyc
11-23-2006, 04:53 PM
OK I just watched this one, and when the ref pulls them back into the ring and lets Smirnovas just continue beating on him I couldn't help but laugh, how ridiculous, fight should've definetely been stoped, but Sakuraba is probably happy with the way it turned out I guess.

TMacsOneGoodEye
11-23-2006, 04:57 PM
If it was any other fighter but Sakuraba I would be okay with it but Sakuraba is pretty close to losing his head. He's been beaten up so bad over the years that he's very close to not leaving the ring alive. I'm dead serious (no pun intended) if there ever was a true MMA death in the right I think Sakuraba would be the guy.

sunsfan1357
12-03-2006, 02:48 PM
I don't know if any of you heard, but Fedor is going to have a fight for the Bodog org and it is rumored that Bodog is in talks to potentially sign Fedor long term. I know if you're Pride you try not to let that happen but Bodog I believe has a lot more money available so it will be interesting to see how that will pan out.

Zombles
12-04-2006, 07:50 PM
I don't know if any of you heard, but Fedor is going to have a fight for the Bodog org and it is rumored that Bodog is in talks to potentially sign Fedor long term. I know if you're Pride you try not to let that happen but Bodog I believe has a lot more money available so it will be interesting to see how that will pan out.

Yeah I heard that also. And that Pride still doesn't have a TV deal in Japan. There's rumors of Cro Cop jumping ship to the UFC(sylvia = murdered). Bad scheisse, Pride's heavyweight division is one of the best things about MMA.

fatboy11
12-04-2006, 07:59 PM
I just read that DSE is trying to sell PRIDE and that the UFC and WWE are said to be interested. This is getting crazy.......

I think Fedor in Bodog is a one time deal. He just wants to fight in Russia in front of his people. He'll stay with PRIDE.

Mr. V
12-08-2006, 03:07 AM
Man, it would be a dream come true for a MMA fan if there was a one big organisation and some type of minor league system.

What

hateraid
12-08-2006, 03:40 AM
How do you guys like the live broadcast event coming up? Can't wait to see caro in the ring again.

gigantes
07-29-2016, 03:05 AM
i can't find the up-to-date MMA thread. did someone delete it...?

anyway, they fixed (http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/7/28/12319768/photos-cyborg-santos-before-and-after-surgery) cyborg santos. they fixed him good. (pics possibly NSFW)

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/tnvGQbjYzWKtOgxK3OBS7K7qtp4=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6860497/cyborg_before_after.0.jpg
https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/LLuFOGFqoL2TdaaE9vbbGnz8uOU=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6860501/cyborg_before_after_ct.0.jpg
https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/W6T-SvG9wKlBw9VTNtU0kWMx8KE=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6860499/cyborg_before_after3.0.jpg

can you imagine how gnarly that surgery must have been? looks like they freaking peeled his scalp all the way down to the middle of his nose so they could put a bunch of metal stitches in there.

insidehoops
07-29-2016, 04:55 AM
Hi gigantes, yeah it seems it got deleted -- there was some old housekeeping going on and most of the posts in it were very old. So feel free to start a new one yourself since this one is ancient too

gigantes
07-29-2016, 10:07 AM
shoot, that's too bad.

well maybe someone else can re-start it, since the MMA thread is already a little too much about me. most of the old crew that used to post a lot don't really do it anymore such as brujesino, jaydacris, $lakergold, jackass, etc...