PDA

View Full Version : Who was better, Patrick Ewing or David Robinson?

TheAnchorman
07-23-2009, 12:54 AM
In your opinion who do you think was the better player overall, taking into account peak years, playoff performance, longevity of career and legacy, and impact on the game? I'm not too well-informed on two of these players but as a hunch I would like to say that David Robinson was the better player due to his accomplishments and dominance in the court compared to Patrick Ewing, who was blessed with a much better team during the early/mid 90s.

Your thoughts?

Snoop_Cat
07-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Robinson would've had even more years of amazingness had it not been for service requirements

dr8ked
07-23-2009, 12:57 AM
I would say david Robinson, Jumper,spin move, his athleticism, and he once scored 71 pts :lol

ZMonkey11
07-23-2009, 12:57 AM
i'm also going to have to go with David Robinson. Man was such an athletic freak. Never seen a better 7 footer run the break.

IInvented
07-23-2009, 12:58 AM
Give me The Admiral..

andgar923
07-23-2009, 01:01 AM
David might've been better, but I'll take Ewing.

Just personal preference that's all.

lbj23clutch
07-23-2009, 01:05 AM
David Robinson was a better player. Probably one of the most athletically gifted big man to ever grace the game. He could run the floor like a 2-guard. Excellent face-up game and had a nice jumper. His post up game was decent, he was excellent at playing the passing lanes and was a better shot blocker then Ewing.

ClutchCity95
07-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Patrick Ewing....................

I feel he was the better player than David Robinson was. In terms of just talent in general I feel David Robinson wins that department, but the reality is he never had the motivation or determination to be the greatest like for say Michael Jordan. Patrick Ewing was always the more motivated, more passionate and the much more tougher player than Admiral was. Patrick Ewing had all the intangibles you would like to have from a center or even from a player from that matter. David Robinson's heart and desire is similar to Tracy McGrady's, Somebody who had the potential and talent to be one of the greatest but never fulfilled it due to lack of Heart and desire.

As a leader, Patrick Ewing was better. He had gotten further as the 1st option on a team than David Robinson did, but Admiral was not a bad leader either. He did have one of the best single turnaround records in his rookie season with the Spurs.

Offensively: Ewing was better. Ewing was the more reliable, more polished scorer than David Robinson was. Ewing is arguably one of the best mid-range shooters for a center to ever play. David Robinson was a player offensively that relied heavily on athletic ability. It's one of the few reasons why Admiral had ended up playing sub-par come playoff time because he wouldn't be able to out-run or out-muscle them, that's where the skills are useful. Admiral also frequently settled for jumpers during his prime, not that he was bad at it but with his athleticism he should have attacked the rim more often and finished more.

Both were also pretty athletic and both could run the floor pretty well and finish. David was obviously better at it because he was much more athletic than Ewing was, but Ewing could do it as well during his younger days, but if you ask me Admiral relied on that TOO MUCH where as for Ewing he did play pretty good in the half-court offense while Robinson didn't too much.

Defensively: Robinson was better. Robinson was the better defensive player, better shot blocker, better post defender, really just the better defender. He was also voted into more All-NBA Defensive teams than Ewing did. Not to mention, Admiral was one of the three players to average 2 BPG and SPG in a season. Patrick Ewing was not a bad defender, but he wasn't better than Robinson defensively. Ewing was a great shot blocker, but was a bit limited defensively due to his foot-speed kind of like Shaq.

I feel Ewing was better because he was the better leader, better offensively, had much better intangibles, and also because he did accomplished more as a leader. Although he may not have 2 championship rings like David Robinson has. David Robinson wouldn't have won it without Duncan in the 1st place. Ewing did make it to the NBA Finals in 1994, sure Michael Jordan wasn't playing then but it's still a better accomplishment than Robinson did as a leader. Robinson disappointed the Spurs many times, from what I recall. The East was also much stronger than the West from what I recall during both Ewing and Robinson's timeline and Primes.

I never understood why people tend to underrate Ewing all the time. So Ewing is my answer.

magnax1
07-23-2009, 01:17 AM
Robinson on Defense and Offense. Though a lot of times the Admiral seemed to rely on his athleticism to much, but none the less he was a better player overall.

ZMonkey11
07-23-2009, 01:31 AM
I never understood why people tend to underrate Ewing all the time. So Ewing is my answer.

Cause he never got a ship.:cry:

Shep
07-23-2009, 01:36 AM
i'm assuming this is a joke thread. saying ewing was better than robinson is like saying stockton was better than olajuwon.

sirkeelma
07-23-2009, 01:49 AM
The Admiral..

andgar923
07-23-2009, 01:53 AM
i'm assuming this is a joke thread. saying ewing was better than robinson is like saying stockton was better than olajuwon.

Not its not a joke, Ewing was a beast.

andgar923
07-23-2009, 01:54 AM
Cause he never got a ship.:cry:

He also didn't play with Tim Duncan.

TheAnchorman
07-23-2009, 02:07 AM
I'm going to respond more fully tomorrow, but for now:

I feel he was the better player than David Robinson was. In terms of just talent in general I feel David Robinson wins that department, but the reality is he never had the motivation or determination to be the greatest like for say Michael Jordan. Patrick Ewing was always the more motivated, more passionate and the much more tougher player than Admiral was. Patrick Ewing had all the intangibles you would like to have from a center or even from a player from that matter. David Robinson's heart and desire is similar to Tracy McGrady's, Somebody who had the potential and talent to be one of the greatest but never fulfilled it due to lack of Heart and desire.
I don't recall David Robinson ever having lack of heart or desire. Where did you get this from? The 1995 NBA WCF?

Also, what would be some "intangibles" that Ewing brought to the table that Robinson did not? You can tell me he advanced further into the playoffs, but I will tell you that the reason why I think so is because he had a better team and a pretty damn good coach to help make it happen.

hayden695
07-23-2009, 02:26 AM
David, dude was jacked (no homo)

ClutchCity95
07-23-2009, 02:41 AM
Also, what would be some "intangibles" that Ewing brought to the table that Robinson did not? You can tell me he advanced further into the playoffs, but I will tell you that the reason why I think so is because he had a better team and a pretty damn good coach to help make it happen.
Leadership skills, toughness, passion, pretty much stuff you would have seen Jordan bring to the table. Ewing was a damn good leader, I couldn't say the same for Robinson. Ewing had a decent team, but he still led them to the NBA Finals. He had some role players who were named All-Stars, Yeah, but he was still capable of leading them there. He was the undisputed leader for the team. Robinson was too, but he just wasn't as good as Ewing at it.

I don't recall David Robinson ever having lack of heart or desire. Where did you get this from? The 1995 NBA WCF?
Well there weren't moments where he lacked heart and desire. But when he started to just settle for jumpers that was when he started to lack desire to win and be a better player.

Angdar, what did you think of my last 2 posts? :pimp:

beasted86
07-23-2009, 02:51 AM
Offense: Ewing
Defense: Robinson

Overall: Robinson

But Ewing is greatly underrated on thse forums. One of the most versatile centers to ever play the game... his footwork, hands, jumper, and touch around the basket were all top notch.

TheAnchorman
07-23-2009, 03:04 AM
Leadership skills, toughness, passion, pretty much stuff you would have seen Jordan bring to the table. Ewing was a damn good leader, I couldn't say the same for Robinson. Ewing had a decent team, but he still led them to the NBA Finals. He had some role players who were named All-Stars, Yeah, but he was still capable of leading them there. He was the undisputed leader for the team. Robinson was too, but he just wasn't as good as Ewing at it.

Well there weren't moments where he lacked heart and desire. But when he started to just settle for jumpers that was when he started to lack desire to win and be a better player.

I'd like to see how Ewing was a better leader than Robinson. Just because Ewing leads his team to the NBA Finals does not mean that he is a superior leader, just that he had better teammates than Robinson.

When did he settle for jumpers? I see an over-generalization here. Also, you yourself said:

David Robinson was a player offensively that relied heavily on athletic ability.
But then you say that he settles for jumpers. If Scottie Pippen decides to go with his mid-ranged shot instead of finishing at the rim, will I call him out for being an unmotivated freak? I'd look more closely at the context of the situation and whether it was the right decision or not.

Shepseskaf
07-23-2009, 03:13 AM
DRob was more athletically gifted, but Ewing was a better player.

In the clutch moments of a gritty, tension-packed playoff game, who do you want in the center spot? If you watched both of their careers, the obvious choice is Ewing, who had more heart and guts that Robinson could even think about.

I always got the feeling that DRob played ball because he was tall and quick, not because he loved the game. It showed. Ewing simply loved the game, and if he were only 5'10" would still have been out on some court battling somone.

Speaking of lack of heart, I have never seen an MVP-level talent be as thoroughly outclassed as Robinson was by Hakeem, when Houston swept the favored Spurs in the '95 playoffs.

andgar923
07-23-2009, 03:26 AM

Angdar, what did you think of my last 2 posts? :pimp:

You made some legit points which I think DRob fans will try to (and probably debunk). I don't know why, but I never really liked DRob that much, he just seemed too 'soft.' You might be partially correct, that it might've been his style of game, very graceful, swift, athletic, poised and it might be just appearances and nothing more. But we're not the only ones that believed DRob was a finesse (code word in basketball talk for a big man, as being 'soft.') player. I remember that was a rep that he had for his entire career.

I think we both basically agreed that DRob was slightly more skilled, and was a better athlete overall, but Ewing had the type of game that I'd consider TRUE center worthy. He was a tough, intense, physical low post player that could take you outside as well.

Dunno..... but I'd rather take Ewing. He seemed like he'd pull your teeth out with some pliers if he had too, not to win but just for fun. And you can't go wrong with that in my book!

drza44
07-23-2009, 03:51 AM
Robinson. Both were absolutely electric to watch in college, though. Ewing seemed like a monster with his gray t-shirts on under his G-town jersey, and DRob came out of nowhere to put Navy on the basketball map. Two of my favorite college athletes to watch, ever.

In the pros, I was always left wanting just a bit more from Ewing. He had an outstanding career, but he was never as dominant as I thought he would be coming out of college. Robinson, on the other hand, exceeded expectations. Because of that 1 matchup with Hakeem, followed by his bad injury, I think people kind of forget just how ridiculous Robinson was. If Duncan would have played next to a fully healthy in-prime Robinson, I'm not at all sure that he would have been considered the better player. Prime Robinson was a great, great player.

Scoooter
07-23-2009, 04:34 AM
Ewing was my favorite growing up (loved those 90's Knicks; Starks, LJ) but they were both fantastic. Neither could do it by themselves, but no one can, really. Imagine these two on the same team though, in twin-towers configuration. Hell, Robinson's freakshow, Chamberlain-esque athleticism with Ewing's heart, balls, and toughness.

The golden age of big men? (Especially Georgetown bigmen, with Ewing, Zo, and Deke) Maybe. Maybe more like the second great era of heavyweights (Olajuwon, Ewing, Robinson, Shaq::Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, Lewis) in the shadow of the Golden Greats (Wilt, Russel, KAJ, Malone::Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Norton, etc.). Not the best comparison.

redhonda76
07-23-2009, 07:54 AM
I'd like to see how Ewing was a better leader than Robinson. Just because Ewing leads his team to the NBA Finals does not mean that he is a superior leader, just that he had better teammates than Robinson.

When did he settle for jumpers? I see an over-generalization here. Also, you yourself said:

But then you say that he settles for jumpers. If Scottie Pippen decides to go with his mid-ranged shot instead of finishing at the rim, will I call him out for being an unmotivated freak? I'd look more closely at the context of the situation and whether it was the right decision or not.

Ewing was a much better leader than David. Ewing will make sure his team follows the game plan and for every great play you make, he'll get the team into a chest-to-chest bumping mode. There were several times Starks was jawing with Jordan or Miller and then Ewing steps in yelling at Starks to stop falling into their mind games. He'll let his players know that they missed their defensive assignments.

Offensively Ewing was better. He didn't have wide arrays of moves like Hakeem, Ewing moves were running across the lane shot, hook shot, turn-around fade away, 15-18 foot shot and a drop step shot, which is very reliable and that's all he really needs. Ewing's offense didn't require to be athletic, that's why even at the age of 36 and with bad knees and bad foot, he was putting up top numbers. Ewing was a back to the basket post player, whereas David was a face up player. David relies too much on his athleticism on his moves.
Defensively, Robinson was better than Ewing, but Ewing wasn't bad either.

David got his ring through Duncan. Ewing at least made it to the finals. Many times, Ewing's team were stopped by Jordan's team which many considered as one of the best team ever ( record-wise ). Plus the East back then was very competitive.

Seriously, Ewing is underrated here. People here seem to judge Ewing because he don't have the same charisma, commercial appeal and athletic dunks like David does.

ShaqAttack3234
07-23-2009, 07:57 AM
I'll take Ewing. Despite Robinson's stats and DPOY trophy, Ewing was every bit as good if not better defensively. Patrick is easily one of the most underrated defensive players ever. I don't know why, maybe it's because of the highlights of Jordan and Pippen dunking on him?

Robinson was great, in fact he was probably better than Ewing in the regular season, but the playoffs? Aside from his first 2 seasons, Robinson's production dropped every season in the playoffs before Duncan arrived. Sometimes his production dropped dramatically, particularly in 1994 when Robinson averaged an even 20/10 on 41% shooting while losing in 4 games.

And while Ewing fought against Olajuwon, defended him well and took the finals to 7 games without homecourt, Robinson had homecourt, was heavily favored and lost convincingly in 7 games. Ewing did play tough defense throughout the series and although Anthony Mason deserves a lot of credit too, Ewing made it tough for Hakeem in 1994. Olajuwon just hit a lot of tough shots(but his production was still below his season averages. Instead of give Hakeem a good battle this is what happened when Robinson faced him head to head.

Hakeem Olajuwon- 35.3 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 5.0 apg, 4.1 bpg, 56.0 FG%
David Robinson- 23.8 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.7 apg, 2.2 bpg, 44.7 FG%

Robinson did have some talent around him. Certainly a core of Sean Elliott, Dennis Rodman, Avery Johnson and Vinny Del Negro is about as good as a core of John Starks, Charles Oakley, Derek Harper and Anthony Mason.

Elliott was a 2-time all-star and a 20 ppg scorer who shot over 40% on 3's and played good defense. Avery Johnson was a 13/9 player who was efficient(over 50%) and also played good defense. Vinny Del Negro was a great shooter and another solid scorer(12.5 ppg in '95 and 14.5 ppg in '96).

It's true that Robinson didn't have a player who could create his own shot or make plays as well as Starks, but his cast was certainly comparable to Ewing. Robinson just simply didn't want to win as bad as Ewing. For example on the last day of the 1994 season with Shaq leading the scoring race and playoff position locked up, instead of taking it easy and resting for the playoffs Robinson pads his stats(the 71 point game) vs a horrible Clipper team to win the scoring title. I can't picture Ewing going for a scoring title with playoff position secure on the last day.

In fairness Robinson turned around the Spurs in an amazing way right from the start(35 game improvement in his rookie year) and Robinson's rookie season(24/12/4) has to rank among the all-time great rookie years. But Ewing was the better low post player. I'd feel more confident throwing the ball into Ewing in the post if I needed a basket. Robinson was an athletic freak who could run the floor better than any center I've seen, but I'd build my team around Ewing.

Flamboyant
07-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Robinson, and it's more clear cut than many might think. He was better on both ends. Hakeem having a great series against him, doesn't automatically make him a bad defender (or an overrated one for that matter).

Big#50
07-23-2009, 08:48 AM
I'll take Ewing. Despite Robinson's stats and DPOY trophy, Ewing was every bit as good if not better defensively. Patrick is easily one of the most underrated defensive players ever. I don't know why, maybe it's because of the highlights of Jordan and Pippen dunking on him?

Robinson was great, in fact he was probably better than Ewing in the regular season, but the playoffs? Aside from his first 2 seasons, Robinson's production dropped every season in the playoffs before Duncan arrived. Sometimes his production dropped dramatically, particularly in 1994 when Robinson averaged an even 20/10 on 41% shooting while losing in 4 games.

And while Ewing fought against Olajuwon, defended him well and took the finals to 7 games without homecourt, Robinson had homecourt, was heavily favored and lost convincingly in 7 games. Ewing did play tough defense throughout the series and although Anthony Mason deserves a lot of credit too, Ewing made it tough for Hakeem in 1994. Olajuwon just hit a lot of tough shots(but his production was still below his season averages. Instead of give Hakeem a good battle this is what happened when Robinson faced him head to head.

Robinson did have some talent around him. Certainly a core of Sean Elliott, Dennis Rodman, Avery Johnson and Vinny Del Negro is about as good as a core of John Starks, Charles Oakley, Derek Harper and Anthony Mason.

Elliott was a 2-time all-star and a 20 ppg scorer who shot over 40% on 3's and played good defense. Avery Johnson was a 13/9 player who was efficient(over 50%) and also played good defense. Vinny Del Negro was a great shooter and another solid scorer(12.5 ppg in '95 and 14.5 ppg in '96).

It's true that Robinson didn't have a player who could create his own shot or make plays as well as Starks, but his cast was certainly comparable to Ewing. Robinson just simply didn't want to win as bad as Ewing. For example on the last day of the 1994 season with Shaq leading the scoring race and playoff position locked up, instead of taking it easy and resting for the playoffs Robinson pads his stats(the 71 point game) vs a horrible Clipper team to win the scoring title. I can't picture Ewing going for a scoring title with playoff position secure on the last day.

In fairness Robinson turned around the Spurs in an amazing way right from the start(35 game improvement in his rookie year) and Robinson's rookie season(24/12/4) has to rank among the all-time great rookie years. But Ewing was the better low post player. I'd feel more confident throwing the ball into Ewing in the post if I needed a basket. Robinso n was an athletic freak who could run the floor better than any center I've seen, but I'd build my team around Ewing.
Hakeem outplayed DROB but not dominated like everybody thinks. DROB was mugged by Hakeem, Chucky Brown, Horry and Carl Herrera. I know those names aren't popular but Brown was a dirty banger type of player. Drob guarded Hakeem 1 on 1 because of all the shooters Houston had. Drob had Elliot, he stepped up in one game only. Rodman played no D in this series, he hated Bob Hill. He only went after boards and the times he guarded the dream he didn't even try. **** the worm. Vinny? Avery? GTFOH! The Rockets knew DROB is a nice guy and they butchered him every chance they got. The Knicks had about 4 bigs to throw at Hakeem and they were all good defensive bruisers. No **** Hakeem played worse. But don't act like Ewing guarded him at all times or alone.Who was Drobs back up? exactly. Hakeem didn't avg 35 on DROB.

As for the 71 points, Robinson didn't even want to play in that game. He said individual stats didn't matter to him. The Spurs players, FO, and fans kept bugging him to go out there and win the scoring title. He said it was the low point of his career and was embarrassed.
He didn't lack heart, he was a nice christian guy who wouldn't hurt a fly, which freaking sucked. Imagine DROB was as mean as a young Hakeem and Jabbar, damn.

DROB>Ewing and it's not even close.

redhonda76
07-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Ewing's defensive ability seems to very underrated here. If Ewing were to played today, he'll be DPOY easily. If you look at what Ewing had to compete with in the center defensive department, there was:

Hakeem
Eaton
Robinson
Zo
Deke

There can be so much awards to be given out....

ShaqAttack3234
07-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Ewing's defensive ability seems to very underrated here. If Ewing were to played today, he'll be DPOY easily. If you look at what Ewing had to compete with in the center defensive department, there was:

Hakeem
Eaton
Robinson
Zo
Deke

There can be so much awards to be given out....

Yeah, I never understood why Ewing isn't mentioned among the great defensive players. He was consistently great defensively for years with the Knicks.

Bigsmoke
07-23-2009, 12:22 PM
1995 Mvp

SRZ66
07-23-2009, 12:23 PM
i'll take david all day everyday.

ClutchCity95
07-23-2009, 12:28 PM
You can easily argue that Ewing was the better defender than Robinson was. Especially when he anchored those sick defenses during the 90s especially that year in the 1989. There's a reason why the Knicks were one of the best defensive teams probably the best defensive team when Ewing was the anchor. His defense reminds me of Yao Ming's, because they are both heavily under-appreciated and heavily underrated. Robinson got most of the awards given the fact that he had been voted into an All-Defensive Team 8 times. While Ewing only made it to an All-Defensive team 3 times.

If you had watched him play in the 96 or 98 playoffs. You had saw somebody who never used their body correctly. I don't think you understand that David Robinson is probably the most athletic center to ever play the game, possibly more athletic than both Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain and the fact that he settles for jumpers tends to give him the soft label. People don't realize what kind of freak of nature he was. He always played a bit tough defensively, but offensively he always just settled for jumpers. If he was a passive and unselfish player like Kevin Garnett, it would be a different story, but he also frequently stat-padded like his 71 point game.

I think we both basically agreed that DRob was slightly more skilled, and was a better athlete overall, but Ewing had the type of game that I'd consider TRUE center worthy. He was a tough, intense, physical low post player that could take you outside as well.
In my opinion, Ewing was more skilled, but Admiral was way more athletic. Ewing was more polished offensively, Admiral's post game was a bit raw from what I saw.

Ewing was a much better leader than David. Ewing will make sure his team follows the game plan and for every great play you make, he'll get the team into a chest-to-chest bumping mode. There were several times Starks was jawing with Jordan or Miller and then Ewing steps in yelling at Starks to stop falling into their mind games. He'll let his players know that they missed their defensive assignments.

Offensively Ewing was better. He didn't have wide arrays of moves like Hakeem, Ewing moves were running across the lane shot, hook shot, turn-around fade away, 15-18 foot shot and a drop step shot, which is very reliable and that's all he really needs. Ewing's offense didn't require to be athletic, that's why even at the age of 36 and with bad knees and bad foot, he was putting up top numbers. Ewing was a back to the basket post player, whereas David was a face up player. David relies too much on his athleticism on his moves.
Defensively, Robinson was better than Ewing, but Ewing wasn't bad either.

David got his ring through Duncan. Ewing at least made it to the finals. Many times, Ewing's team were stopped by Jordan's team which many considered as one of the best team ever ( record-wise ). Plus the East back then was very competitive.

Seriously, Ewing is underrated here. People here seem to judge Ewing because he don't have the same charisma, commercial appeal and athletic dunks like David does.
:applause:

SsKSpurs21
07-23-2009, 12:56 PM
David Robinson

# 4

Godfather
07-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Well It's too bad the All-NBA teams and All-NBA Defensive teams are both regular season awards and accolades. Plus, If you remember in 2007 LeBron James was on the All-NBA 2nd team, I doubt anybody would say he wasn't a Top 5 player then, because that was also the same year he led the Cavs to the NBA Finals.

But for the regular season, I would take Robinson just because of his massive athletic advantage over every center. Playoffs? I'd go with Ewing, he had the better intangibles and also he was much more reliable offensively. When I watched Robinson in the playoffs when I was younger I saw a player who didn't use his body correctly, due to the fact that he frequently settled for jump shots. That was just my analysis on him in the 96 playoffs I believe.

How a 14 year old watched Robinson is beyond me...

Do you have to come to a forums and compulsively lie?

My own opinion: Robinson because he was a better offensive player and defender. I think most will agree.

kentatm
07-23-2009, 03:04 PM
DRob.

Ewing was really good but is overrated (and over hated) b/c of the NY media.

ClutchCity95
07-23-2009, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=SsKSpurs21]David Robinson

# 4

wang4three
07-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Robinson. Easily.

wang4three
07-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Nothing easy about this comparison, aside from there stats.

Ewing never showed me anything that David couldn't do, but I can't say the same vice versa. David Robinson was more athletic, a better scorer, better defender, and a much more versatile player. David in his prime as a player was better than a prime Tim Duncan.

ClutchCity95
07-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Ewing never showed me anything that David couldn't do, but I can't say the same vice versa. David Robinson was more athletic, a better scorer, better defender, and a much more versatile player. David in his prime as a player was better than a prime Tim Duncan.
Let's not overrate Robinson, He was not a very polished scorer. His hook shot was never very mastered and neither were his post moves. Was he still a good scorer? Of course. However, Ewing was much more reliable of a scorer. Robinson frequently settled for jumpers when his athleticism was beyond incredible. You can take a look at the post above yours, I made a pretty decent argument explaining that Robinson's supporting cast wasn't even that much worse than Ewing's.

Robinson was the better defender due to his versatility, but Ewing was no slouch he was a hell of a shot blocker and he anchored nasty defenses with the Knicks in the 90s. I don't know why people constantly say Robinson is the better offensive player, because I don't think so. Sure Robinson got the stats, but Ewing was more polished than him and more reliable than him at scoring the ball. Ewing also had many intangibles that did not show up in the stat sheet where as Robinson didn't. Leadership, passion, toughness, heart, etc.... Things you would see in Kevin Garnett.

This is a close comparison, closer than the stats indicate and closer than what people most people think. I have no problem if you think Robinson was better, but I'd much rather have Ewing especially in the playoffs.

Big#50
07-23-2009, 04:20 PM
You can easily argue that Ewing was the better defender than Robinson was. Especially when he anchored those sick defenses during the 90s especially that year in the 1989. There's a reason why the Knicks were one of the best defensive teams probably the best defensive team when Ewing was the anchor. His defense reminds me of Yao Ming's, because they are both heavily under-appreciated and heavily underrated. Robinson got most of the awards given the fact that he had been voted into an All-Defensive Team 8 times. While Ewing only made it to an All-Defensive team 3 times.

If you had watched him play in the 96 or 98 playoffs. You had saw somebody who never used their body correctly. I don't think you understand that David Robinson is probably the most athletic center to ever play the game, possibly more athletic than both Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain and the fact that he settles for jumpers tends to give him the soft label. People don't realize what kind of freak of nature he was. He always played a bit tough defensively, but offensively he always just settled for jumpers. If he was a passive and unselfish player like Kevin Garnett, it would be a different story, but he also frequently stat-padded like his 71 point game.

In my opinion, Ewing was more skilled, but Admiral was way more athletic. Ewing was more polished offensively, Admiral's post game was a bit raw from what I saw.

The Knicks had Mason, Oakley and Smith helping Ewing. Robinson had Cummings. Robinson scored 71 for the SA fans and FO. He settled for jumpers? He was always top 5 in ft's attempted. He had a good jumper, why not shoot it. DROB was not soft. Ask Shaq if DROB was soft. Robinson would pound on Shaq all the time. DROB outplayed SHAQ with ease all the way to 1998. Shaq would get butchered by DROB. DROB would get dunked on by Shaq all the time, but he also would stuff Shaqs dunks. Who else tried to block Shaq's dunks? Weird how it was a soft player like DROB doing it. SOFT? GTFOH! He was nice not soft. I watched DROB since 1989.

wang4three
07-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Let's not overrate Robinson, He was not a very polished scorer. His hook shot was never very mastered and neither were his post moves. Was he still a good scorer? Of course. However, Ewing was much more reliable of a scorer. Robinson frequently settled for jumpers when his athleticism was beyond incredible. You can take a look at the post above yours, I made a pretty decent argument explaining that Robinson's supporting cast wasn't even that much worse than Ewing's.

I don't know how you can say a former scoring champ and a guy who scored 71 points doesn't have a polished offense. Honestly, that's a load of garbage. If being a scoring champ while also having 71 pt-career outburst still in your imagination is "not polished" you're the one really overrating Robinson.

Robinson was the better defender due to his versatility, but Ewing was no slouch he was a hell of a shot blocker and he anchored nasty defenses with the Knicks in the 90s.

I never said that Ewing wasn't a good defender, cause he was, but Robinson was clearly better. He protected the rim, he could guard big guys, fast guys, and he had better hands and timing on his blocks.

I don't know why people constantly say Robinson is the better offensive player, because I don't think so. Sure Robinson got the stats, but Ewing was more polished than him and more reliable than him at scoring the ball. Ewing also had many intangibles that did not show up in the stat sheet where as Robinson didn't. Leadership, passion, toughness, heart, etc.... Things you would see in Kevin Garnett.

David will always get flack for his supposed lack of heart, but I contend you cannot accomplish all the things he did without being his best. If he won the MVP, multiple All NBA 1st Teams, DPOY, etc, without passion.... That's damn impressive. To be easily a 1st ballot HOF and not exhibit passion? In the NBA? That's crazy if you ask me. Just because he is a bit more stoic, and more aloof and reserved doesn't mean he didn't have passion in my opinion. He may have not loved basketball as much as some of his peers, but I won't question that he played his best out there. Off the court he has done so many good things with his money and the community, as well as serving his country, I can't imagine that the guy doesn't have leadership or passion.

This is a close comparison, closer than the stats indicate and closer than what people most people think. I have no problem if you think Robinson was better, but I'd much rather have Ewing especially in the playoffs.

Fair enough. I think that's the wrong choice, but you're entitled to your opinion.

ClutchCity95
07-23-2009, 04:35 PM
I don't know how you can say a former scoring champ and a guy who scored 71 points doesn't have a polished offense. Honestly, that's a load of garbage. If being a scoring champ while also having 71 pt-career outburst still in your imagination is "not polished" you're the one really overrating Robinson.
So because of 1 game he was very polished. There was a reason why Robinson tended to play sub-par come playoff time, relied a little bit too much on athleticism when he played.

I never said that Ewing wasn't a good defender, cause he was, but Robinson was clearly better. He protected the rim, he could guard big guys, fast guys, and he had better hands and timing on his blocks.

Clearly?...No. Robinson was the better individual defender, while Ewing was the better team defender. In my opinion, Ewing was the better anchor, though Robinson would be able to get faked easier than Ewing did.

David will always get flack for his supposed lack of heart, but I contend you cannot accomplish all the things he did without being his best. If he won the MVP, multiple All NBA 1st Teams, DPOY, etc, without passion.... That's damn impressive. To be easily a 1st ballot HOF and not exhibit passion? In the NBA? That's crazy if you ask me. Just because he is a bit more stoic, and more aloof and reserved doesn't mean he didn't have passion in my opinion. He may have not loved basketball as much as some of his peers, but I won't question that he played his best out there. Off the court he has done so many good things with his money and the community, as well as serving his country, I can't imagine that the guy doesn't have leadership or passion.
No question he has a huge heart and passion off the court, but so does Tracy McGrady and I truly hope you don't think he has heart or passion.

Fair enough. I think that's the wrong choice, but you're entitled to your opinion.

It's closer than what you made out of it. You acted like it's Robinson and Ewing is far away when it's not. I have them right next to each other on my Top 10 centers list.

wang4three
07-23-2009, 04:39 PM
So because of 1 game he was very polished. There was a reason why Robinson tended to play sub-par come playoff time, relied a little bit too much on athleticism when he played.

I said he was regular season scoring champ. Did you miss that? Even if, 71 points is no joke. Unpolished players don't get that far. 50 points maybe, as evident by Tony Delk, but 70 is a different plateau.

Clearly?...No. Robinson was the better individual defender, while Ewing was the better team defender. In my opinion, Ewing was the better anchor, though Robinson would be able to get faked easier than Ewing did.

Yes, clearly.

No question he has a huge heart and passion off the court, but so does Tracy McGrady and I truly hope you don't think he has heart or passion.

Tracy McGrady isn't a former MVP, DPOY, 4-time 1st team All-NBA, 10 time All-Star. Nor the philanderer that David is. How dare you even compare David to him. I love T-Mac, but till he gets anywhere close to David's accomplishments, your analogy is not applicable.

It's closer than what you made out of it. You acted like it's Robinson and Ewing is far away when it's not. I have them right next to each other on my Top 10 centers list.

Well good for you, but the Admiral is clearly a better player than Ewing in my opinion. I grew up here in the tri-state where all my friends were Knicks fans. I watched a ton of more games of Ewing than I did of David and nothing I saw Ewing do I couldn't imagine David doing.

Big#50
07-23-2009, 04:39 PM

Put Robinson on the Knicks and they beat the Bulls at least once. Give Robinson Mason, Oakley and Smith and the Spurs win at least one ring. Robinson had weak players around him.

ClutchCity95
07-23-2009, 04:48 PM
I said he was regular season scoring champ. Did you miss that? Even if, 71 points is no joke. Unpolished players don't get that far. 50 points maybe, as evident by Tony Delk, but 70 is a different plateau.

Yes, clearly.

Tracy McGrady isn't a former MVP, DPOY, 4-time 1st team All-NBA, 10 time All-Star. Nor the philanderer that David is. How dare you even compare David to him. I love T-Mac, but till he gets anywhere close to David's accomplishments, your analogy is not applicable.

Well good for you, but the Admiral is clearly a better player than Ewing in my opinion. I grew up here in the tri-state where all my friends were Knicks fans. I watched a ton of more games of Ewing than I did of David and nothing I saw Ewing do I couldn't imagine David doing.
Well it is your opinion and I can live with it, I have no problem putting Admiral above Ewing. I just prefer Ewing over Robinson. Ewing had just too many intangibles advantages over Robinson and was clearly the better leader.

Put Robinson on the Knicks and they beat the Bulls at least once. Give Robinson Mason, Oakley and Smith and the Spurs win at least one ring. Robinson had weak players around him.
I already explained their teammates weren't even that far off. Plus, Ewing was the real leader for the Knicks and a true warrior. I can't say the same for Robinson. Michael Jordan said the Knicks he played in the 90s were tougher than the Bad Boys Pistons. That's saying something right there. While David Robinson was frequently punked by Karl Malone in the West. Ewing's nemesis was Michael Jordan while Robinson's nemesis was Karl Malone.

Big#50
07-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Well it is your opinion and I can live with it, I have no problem putting Admiral above Ewing. I just prefer Ewing over Robinson. Ewing had just too many intangibles advantages over Robinson and was clearly the better leader.

I already explained their teammates weren't even that far off. Plus, Ewing was the real leader for the Knicks and a true warrior. I can't say the same for Robinson. Michael Jordan said the Knicks he played in the 90s were tougher than the Bad Boys Pistons. That's saying something right there. While David Robinson was frequently punked by Karl Malone in the West. Ewing's nemesis was Michael Jordan while Robinson's nemesis was Karl Malone.
Ewing didn't make the Knicks tough. It was Oakley, Mason, Smith, Bonner and Ewing. No way Robinson had that good of a team. Sean Elliot was probably nicer than DROB. Anderson was avg. Cummings was old.

chitownsfinest
07-23-2009, 05:05 PM
You can't just come out with that king kong shyt bro. Ewing did all he could in 92 and 93 against the Bulls.
Ewing's stats against the Bulls in 92: 22/11 on 49 % shooting
The reason his scoring numbers aren't that great were because the Knicks players had a habit of freezing him out and not going to him constantly. In game 1, they refused to go to him consistently for the first three quarters and when they finally went to him in the 4th, he scored 16 of the Knicks 20 points in the win. In game 2, the Knicks again refused to go to him at all and he had like 4 points in the first 3 quarters and when they finally went to him in the 4th, he had like 12 points. He played through game 6 with an in injury and put up 27 points. In game 7, he was the only one who showed up. In the 91-92 playoffs, Robinson didn't play due to an injury. Remember, Robinson would be getting hounded by Cartwright/Grant/Williams/King/Pippen in the post which was never easy. He also wouldn't be able to utilize the fast break as well due to the Bulls amazing full court press in those years playoffs. The Bulls also used tactics to get in Ewing's head and Ewing was a tough sob. You claimed yourself that Robinson was a nice guy so how would he deal with this?

In the 92-93 series against Chi, Ewing even played better: 26/11
His play in the first two games was why they went up 2-0. In game 3, they froze out on Ewing and only gave him 13 shot attempts and refused to take advantage of MJ's 3-18 performance. Ewing had a nice game in game 4 but MJ's 27 in the second half was too much. Game 5 is the game that stood out for me. MJ scored like 17 straight points in the second half and had the Bulls on his shoulders. Ewing came out and scored like 12-14 points in the 4th and gave the Knicks. His dumbass team then let B.J Armstrong open for the game winning 3 and soft ass Charles Smith let himself get blocked repeatedly instead of dunking it. He put up 26/13 on 12/18 shooting in game 6 but that wasn't enough. If it isn't for Doc Rivers being useless and Charles Smith getting punked by Pippen, the Knicks win the series. It was beyond Ewing's control. Furthermore, Robinson only put up 23/13 in that yrs playoffs against softer West opponents, so how is their a guarantee that he does better in Ewing's place?

Big#50
07-23-2009, 05:27 PM
You can't just come out with that king kong shyt bro. Ewing did all he could in 92 and 93 against the Bulls.
Ewing's stats against the Bulls in 92: 22/11 on 49 % shooting
The reason his scoring numbers aren't that great were because the Knicks players had a habit of freezing him out and not going to him constantly. In game 1, they refused to go to him consistently for the first three quarters and when they finally went to him in the 4th, he scored 16 of the Knicks 20 points in the win. In game 2, the Knicks again refused to go to him at all and he had like 4 points in the first 3 quarters and when they finally went to him in the 4th, he had like 12 points. He played through game 6 with an in injury and put up 27 points. In game 7, he was the only one who showed up. In the 91-92 playoffs, Robinson didn't play due to an injury. Remember, Robinson would be getting hounded by Cartwright/Grant/Williams/King/Pippen in the post which was never easy. He also wouldn't be able to utilize the fast break as well due to the Bulls amazing full court press in those years playoffs. The Bulls also used tactics to get in Ewing's head and Ewing was a tough sob. You claimed yourself that Robinson was a nice guy so how would he deal with this?

In the 92-93 series against Chi, Ewing even played better: 26/11
His play in the first two games was why they went up 2-0. In game 3, they froze out on Ewing and only gave him 13 shot attempts and refused to take advantage of MJ's 3-18 performance. Ewing had a nice game in game 4 but MJ's 27 in the second half was too much. Game 5 is the game that stood out for me. MJ scored like 17 straight points in the second half and had the Bulls on his shoulders. Ewing came out and scored like 12-14 points in the 4th and gave the Knicks. His dumbass team then let B.J Armstrong open for the game winning 3 and soft ass Charles Smith let himself get blocked repeatedly instead of dunking it. He put up 26/13 on 12/18 shooting in game 6 but that wasn't enough. If it isn't for Doc Rivers being useless and Charles Smith getting punked by Pippen, the Knicks win the series. It was beyond Ewing's control. Furthermore, Robinson only put up 23/13 in that yrs playoffs against softer West opponents, so how is their a guarantee that he does better in Ewing's place?
Better team around him. The Bulls bigs couldn't keep up with him. Ewings style was different.

ShaqAttack3234
07-23-2009, 05:58 PM
The Knicks had Mason, Oakley and Smith helping Ewing. Robinson had Cummings. Robinson scored 71 for the SA fans and FO. He settled for jumpers? He was always top 5 in ft's attempted. He had a good jumper, why not shoot it. DROB was not soft. Ask Shaq if DROB was soft. Robinson would pound on Shaq all the time. DROB outplayed SHAQ with ease all the way to 1998. Shaq would get butchered by DROB. DROB would get dunked on by Shaq all the time, but he also would stuff Shaqs dunks. Who else tried to block Shaq's dunks? Weird how it was a soft player like DROB doing it. SOFT? GTFOH! He was nice not soft. I watched DROB since 1989.

Robinson didn't outplay O'Neal with ease until 1998. Here they are from Shaq's second season

Shaq- 28.6 ppg, 12.6 rpg, 1.9 apg, 1.9 bpg, 51.4 FG%
Robinson- 29.0 ppg, 12.1 rpg, 4.4 apg, 2.6 bpg, 46.6 FG%

Shaq's teams went 4-3 in those meetings. Statistically Robinson has a very slight edge in ppg, but that's made up by O'Neal's much bigger advantage in FG%, Robinson did have a big advantage in apg and a decent advantage in blocks, but Shaq had the advantage in rpg and wins.

It'd be fair to call them even head to head then, but there's no way Robinson "outplayed Shaq with ease". And don't forget that didn't include Shaq's true prime(2000-2002) while Robinson was in his true prime during that stretch.

chitownsfinest
07-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Better team around him. The Bulls bigs couldn't keep up with him. Ewings style was different.
If Robinson played on the Knicks, he wouldn't be able to run the fast break a lot because the Knicks were a slow paced team and Riley didn't run the offense primarily through a single player. Furthermore, Robinson would have to commit more to defense in his system.

Jasper
07-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Saw both play - and a good thread.

I won't elaborate - but as athletic as Robison was , IMO he never had so much pressure as Ewing had to carry a team literally 100% of the time year in and year out - which is hugely wearing on any player.

These guys played in a real physical time in the NBA.
I always marveled at what Ewing did in Georgetown as well as a Knick.
If he would of got 1-2 above average , maybe 1 star player -
he would of gotten a championship or more.
Yep MJ was always a monster , but some of the best playoff rounds were when Ewing's teams met the Bulls.

I'll take Ewing.

Fatal9
07-23-2009, 07:55 PM
What kind of a question is this? Robinson, based on peak play, was a top 10 player ALL-time. Ewing is not in Robinson/Hakeem league. Enough of the disrespect D-Rob recieves on these boards, he was more dominant at his peak than Ewing on his best day. Hakeem owned him in 1995, but that doesn't mean he didn't have an excellent career otherwise.

Big#50
07-23-2009, 07:56 PM
:rockon:
What kind of a question is this? Robinson, based on peak play, was a top 10 player ALL-time. Ewing is no where close to that list.

wang4three
07-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Although that didn't happen he still did a hell of a job for the Knicks. Even Michael Jordan said those Knicks were tougher than the Bad Boy Pistons.

So Ewing had a better team than Robinson? Is that your point? Because that's what it sounds like to me.

wang4three
07-23-2009, 08:19 PM
And you don't think Ewing had anything to do with it? Despite clearly being hte best player on the team? :confusedshrug:

Not as much in play as you think.

East River Livn'
07-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Ewing and Hakeem have been really overrated here on ISH lately by guys who have never seen them play.

ClutchCity95
07-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Saw both play - and a good thread.

I won't elaborate - but as athletic as Robison was , IMO he never had so much pressure as Ewing had to carry a team literally 100% of the time year in and year out - which is hugely wearing on any player.

These guys played in a real physical time in the NBA.
I always marveled at what Ewing did in Georgetown as well as a Knick.
If he would of got 1-2 above average , maybe 1 star player -
he would of gotten a championship or more.
Yep MJ was always a monster , but some of the best playoff rounds were when Ewing's teams met the Bulls.

I'll take Ewing.
Well said, People don't realize that Ewing's nemesis was Michael Jordan while Robinson's nemesis was Karl Malone who would end up punking him all the time. I mean, Which would you rather get upset-ed by the Greatest Player to ever play or one of the greatest chokers to ever play? Easy call for me.

Ewing played in a lot more pressure and when he came out of Georgetown he was expected to win multiple MVP's and championships. Although that didn't happen he still did a hell of a job for the Knicks. Even Michael Jordan said those Knicks were tougher than the Bad Boy Pistons.

wang4three
07-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Well said, People don't realize that Ewing's nemesis was Michael Jordan while Robinson's nemesis was Karl Malone who would end up punking him all the time. I mean, Which would you rather get upset-ed by the Greatest Player to ever play or one of the greatest chokers to ever play? Easy call for me.

Please, even for you this is dumb logic. Ewing played in the East where he was forced to face Jordan while Robinson played in the West where the only time he had to face Jordan would be in the Finals. What you're doing here is stupid. Who knows how the Knicks would fair against the Jazz in a series and who knows how Robinson would fair against the Bulls in a series? It's just nonsensical bull****. It won't begin to fathom how you can think this is a point. You seem smart enough to realize that this doesn't mean anything.

jason816
07-23-2009, 09:48 PM
again....

Patrick Ewing.

don't ask me why. Ewing is my pick.

and stop calling David Robinson "DRob", enough with these "nickname", call him Admiral.
We aren't calling Patrick Ewing "PEw", Michael Jordan "MJor", are we?

Finger Roll
07-23-2009, 10:03 PM
again....

We aren't calling Patrick Ewing "PEw", Michael Jordan "MJor", are we?

ah P EW.... still remember that trash talk letter in SLam from wayyyyyy back when a guy first called ewing that in references to him stinking...

anyone get that issue? you would remember

Big#50
07-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Please, even for you this is dumb logic. Ewing played in the East where he was forced to face Jordan while Robinson played in the West where the only time he had to face Jordan would be in the Finals. What you're doing here is stupid. Who knows how the Knicks would fair against the Jazz in a series and who knows how Robinson would fair against the Bulls in a series? It's just nonsensical bull****. It won't begin to fathom how you can think this is a point. You seem smart enough to realize that this doesn't mean anything.
I don't think he is.

rosonviyavong
07-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Robinson scored 70 points

rosonviyavong
07-23-2009, 11:32 PM
No, just pointing out that Ewing had to face a tougher conference and got further as a leader than Robinson ever got as the leader. That's really all I'm pointing out.

And Kobe can scored 81....................
How the hell did Kobe Bryant get into this :mad: :banghead:

rosonviyavong
07-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Don't know, but it's just as lame of an argument. Saying one player scored 70 points which makes one player superior than the other is just as stupid as saying Kobe scored 81 points so that makes him better than any other player.
I like Ewing better dont get me wrong one of my fav players in history but Robinson had a MVP season and scored 70 points I mean thats pretty incredible to me but he couldnt get to the finals because of names like Hakeem and Barkley and Malone where if your gonna put "Ewing went to the finals as the best player and Robinson needed Duncan to do it" into this debate you gotta look at the 1994 east playoff side and come on Ewing had nothing too worry about ..

Ballin'
07-24-2009, 01:01 AM
Robinson was too soft for me. To say that he was that much better than Ewing is funny. Ewing was one of the BEST medium range jumpshooting TRUE centers. And he would attack the basket ferociously.

People seem to think athleticism=better player all the time on this board, and it really doesn't. They are really just different kinds of players.

I respected DR for sacrificing his game so that Tim Duncan could grow. However, I lost respect when Shaq dunked on DR in the All-Star game in Houston. Shaq took his heart, and he was never the same after that.

ClutchCity95
07-24-2009, 01:36 AM
No, just pointing out that Ewing had to face a tougher conference and got further as a leader than Robinson ever got as the leader. That's really all I'm pointing out.

I like Ewing better dont get me wrong one of my fav players in history but Robinson had a MVP season and scored 70 points I mean thats pretty incredible to me but he couldnt get to the finals because of names like Hakeem and Barkley and Malone where if your gonna put "Ewing went to the finals as the best player and Robinson needed Duncan to do it" into this debate you gotta look at the 1994 east playoff side and come on Ewing had nothing too worry about ..
The East was even tougher so Robinson doesn't have much to complain about. You do know Ewing had to go up against Jordan right? And every single one of the series were dog fights. Robinson's nemesis was Karl Malone while Ewing's nemesis was Michael Jordan and Malone would usually punk Robinson. How many times do I have to say that?

Robinson was too soft for me. To say that he was that much better than Ewing is funny. Ewing was one of the BEST medium range jumpshooting TRUE centers. And he would attack the basket ferociously.

People seem to think athleticism=better player all the time on this board, and it really doesn't. They are really just different kinds of players.

I respected DR for sacrificing his game so that Tim Duncan could grow. However, I lost respect when Shaq dunked on DR in the All-Star game in Houston. Shaq took his heart, and he was never the same after that.
Well I liked D-Rob as a person, not much of a player though. I've always thought if he were like a foot shorter, he would just end up being an engineer or something. While as for Ewing, if he was 6 foot nothing he would still attempt and keep on playing basketball. Ewing's passion for the game of basketball is unmatched by most NBA players.

redhonda76
07-24-2009, 02:12 AM
People seem to underrate Ewing severely here. If you look at Ewing at the age of 35 with bad knees and bad foot, he was still putting up very respectable numbers.

1998-1999:
Ewing's stats at age 36 vs Shaq: 20 pts, 13 reb, 3 blks

1997-1998:
Ewing's stats at age 35 vs Shaq: 29 pts, 14 reb, 3 blk

This was against a prime Shaq. How many 35 yr old centers you know who was well past his prime and played through injuries and still can play this level. The point is that Ewing's offense was not based on athleticism whereas Robinson was. Ewing might not as a flashy, likable, or exciting like Robinson, but that doesn't mean Robinson is better than Ewing by a mile or vice vera. There will be some people that will pick Ewing and there will be some people that will pick Robinson. Just like there will be some people that will pick Yao and there will be some people that will be Dwight. You really can't go wrong with either one. People like to bring up that Robinson scored 71 points. They never saw the game and was going by just stats. During that game, the Clippers never double-teamed David. Because the Clipper wasn't going to the playoffs anyway, they just let David score at will. They weren't going to let the young cocky Shaq win the scoring title over a model citizen in veteran David. Hell, Yao can score 71 points too if any team plays him in single coverage and lax defense.

reppy
07-24-2009, 02:43 AM
Ewing is better, if only for the simple fact that as far as I know he's the only person that could take "2 steps" from the three point line and then dunk. (Note: I'm not being serious.)

Honestly it's tough. There's been some pretty high level discussion in this thread though, so props.

TheAnchorman
07-24-2009, 06:00 AM
I could not sleep, so....

....so I've been looking over this thread, and a lot of good opinions has been put forth, especially about Ewing. They are both great players and I would have no problem with picking one over the other, however the main thing that sticks out that IMO that makes Robinson arguably better for me was his utter dominance in the court on both sides. His peak, which was around his rookie season to 1996 (before the injury) was simply amazing in terms of dominating offense and defense. He is the main reason by far why the Spurs were able to be in the playoffs and/or contend during his prime, as evidenced by the rookie season turnaround, the MVP year, the 5 top 3 finishes in MVP voting (at most Ewing got 4th, however in all fairness he was top 5 six times.)

This is his DYOP year:
23.2 ppg 12.2 rpg 2.7 apg 2.3 spg 4.5 bpg
Hakeem like-production, don't you think?

IMO he is a better defender than Ewing, winning DYOP and 1st time Defensive Teams numerous times by the statline alone. I'd also like to address:

You can easily argue that Ewing was the better defender than Robinson was. Especially when he anchored those sick defenses during the 90s especially that year in the 1989. There's a reason why the Knicks were one of the best defensive teams probably the best defensive team when Ewing was the anchor.
To be able to anchor one of the best defensive teams of all time is certainly a great feat, but one must not forget that other people on the NY must be credited for being great, such as Oakley, Wilkins, Starks, etc. I also think that if you replaced Ewing with Robinson on defense that there wouldn't be much of a difference in their role; they have great foot speed and anticipation, but Robinson would have been the better athlete.

IMO, that is like saying Shaq should be discredited because all he does are hook shots and dunks (generalizing, but you get the point). I definitely agree from what I've seen that Ewing had a better offensive skillset, however David Robinson was quite effective on offense regardless of how he did it.

I don't know why people constantly say Robinson is the better offensive player, because I don't think so. Sure Robinson got the stats, but Ewing was more polished than him and more reliable than him at scoring the ball. Ewing also had many intangibles that did not show up in the stat sheet where as Robinson didn't. Leadership, passion, toughness, heart, etc.... Things you would see in Kevin Garnett.
You can't just tell me Robinson was a "good" scorer when he wins a scoring title. Since when was PPG discredited in this conversation?

The East was even tougher so Robinson doesn't have much to complain about. You do know Ewing had to go up against Jordan right? And every single one of the series were dog fights. Robinson's nemesis was Karl Malone while Ewing's nemesis was Michael Jordan and Malone would usually punk Robinson. How many times do I have to say that?
Lol you probably got that "Malone nemesis" from this picture, didn't you?
http://www.makingpages.org/hoops/maloneelbowsrobinson.jpg
I think the West was just as competitive as the East. In a conference filled with Barkley's Suns, Drexler's Blazers, Payton and Kemps Sonics, Stockton and Malone's Jazz, not to mention Hakeem you're telling me it wasn't as tough back then for Robinson? I am not downgrading the East, but propping up the West.

Also:

People like to bring up that Robinson scored 71 points. They never saw the game and was going by just stats. During that game, the Clippers never double-teamed David. Because the Clipper wasn't going to the playoffs anyway, they just let David score at will. They weren't going to let the young cocky Shaq win the scoring title over a model citizen in veteran David. Hell, Yao can score 71 points too if any team plays him in single coverage and lax defense.
I like your other analyses, but this is foolish. You are making it sound like any single-coveraged NBA player can score 71 points. Only 4 other players in the history of league has scored more than 70, I'm sure you know who they are. And you have the whole "letting him scoring at will" thing flip-flopped. His teammates were gunning for him not the Clips; do you honestly think that any NBA team, regardless of whether they're going to the playoffs or not would be humiliated by a scoring performance that amazing? I wouldn't, I would try to knock his ass down, which is exactly what they tried to do.
Hell, MJ scored "just" 69 on single coverage.

Ewing at the very prime (Which was in 94, well I'm choosing that since he made the Finals that year) of his career had a supporting cast that mainly consisted of John Starks, Charles Oakley, Hubert Davis, Charles Smith, with a bench that had Derek Harper, Doc Rivers, Greg Anthony, Rolando Blackman, and Anthony Mason. While having a defensive rating of 1, and offensive rating of 22nd. Robinson at the very peak of his career (1995; MVP) had Sean Elliot averaged 18 PPG, Avery Johnson who averaged 13, 8, 51%, Vinny Del Negro averaged 12, 48%, 40% 3PT, and Dennis Rodman, who was the rebounding champion, the bench also consisted of Chuck Person (12 ppg), J.R. Reid, Terry Cummings, and Doc Rivers. Also having a rating of being 5th in the league offensively and defensively. Comparing their supporting casts at the very prime of their career.
Robinson's cast of players was certainly good, but not as good as Ewing. The reason why the Knicks team was good was because of their defense, if you have the 1st ranked D rating in the league it is not necessary (though of course better) to have a top 10 offense. IMO the Spurs team never really meshed together during Robinson's absolute peak years, and quite a good part of this was Rodman's lack of chemistry with the team (of course this has nothing to do with how hard he played), as getting himself suspended in key moments in the playoffs is certainly a dumbass move. I see a lot of scorers such as Del Negro, Person and Elliott, but from what I have seen they are spot-up shooters who cannot create their own shot. Wonder who gives them open looks?

Finally:

If you had watched him play in the 96 or 98 playoffs. You had saw somebody who never used their body correctly. I don't think you understand that David Robinson is probably the most athletic center to ever play the game, possibly more athletic than both Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain and the fact that he settles for jumpers tends to give him the soft label. People don't realize what kind of freak of nature he was. He always played a bit tough defensively, but offensively he always just settled for jumpers.
Do not tell me always. You are using a few games to give him a soft label. Once again, you tell me his offensive game was mainly on athletic ability but he settles for jumpers. David Robinson has been consistently top 5 (occasionally top, such as in 1994) in free throw attempts during a great portion of his career, but don't tell me he gets touch fouls in mid-ranged jumpers on a consistent basis.

If he was a passive and unselfish player like Kevin Garnett, it would be a different story, but he also frequently stat-padded like his 71 point game.
You are calling David Robinson, the man who was the franchise player for the Spurs for most of the decade and who won numerous awards and dominated the basketball court on both ends of the floor, but deferred to Tim Duncan later in his career (a sign of a great teammate) a selfish stat-padder? Come on, man. If you want to talk about stat padding, talk about Michael Jordan in 1989. *troll bait*

1994 NBA Finals
Hakeem Olajuwon - 26.9 pgg, 9.1 rpg, 3.6 apg, 1.6 spg, 3.9 bpg, 50.0 FG%
Patrick Ewing - 18.9 ppg, 12.4 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.3 spg, 4.3 bpg, 36.3 FG%
I can say the same thing and say "Robinson defended him well but Hakeem hit a lot of tough shots." IMO Hakeem is just too damn good for both of them, it also shows through the stats that Ewing did not really have the best offensive performance during those finals; his season averages of 24.5 ppg and 49.6 FG%? Much bigger drop than Robinson.

I do not understand at all why Robinson's performance in the 1995 Finals somehow defines his entire career. Simply illogical from my viewpoint.

Gotta understand, 1995 was like Hakeem's year. You tell me David Robinson was heavily favored. You know what? So were Charles Barkley and Karl Malone. Yet he rolled through Utah, Phoenix, San Antonio and Orlando, all 4 teams having at least 10-15 wins more than Houston in the regular season. He seemingly singlehandedly carried the team to the title, he was red hot that whole playoffs. It wasn't as if Robinson surrendered like Olajuwon was Santa Anna's army. Hakeem was simply being "The Dream", not just in that series but in the whole playoffs where he had NO homecourt advantage. It really is more of a tribute to his greatness.

I think the main thing that Ewing has over Robinson is not heart, but something else. "Heart" is one of the most overused and misconceived words in this damn forum. You people throw the word heart around loosely as if many players have it and many don't, when it reality people with no heart usually don't prosper in the NBA. Ewing had a killer mentality just like MJ, Robinson did not. But in terms of playing as hard as he can and being a complete all-around player? Robinson definitely does that. His dominance alone makes a good case.

ClutchCity95
07-24-2009, 07:51 AM
You can't just tell me Robinson was a "good" scorer when he wins a scoring title. Since when was PPG discredited in this conversation?
If you are just talking about who produced better, than that's a whole different topic. Again, Karl Malone outproduced Tim Duncan in most areas especially in scoring. You aren't going to tell me Malone was a better scorer than Duncan are you? :confusedshrug: Being a more polished scorer happens to help a lot of teams especially in the playoffs. Plus, the only reason why he even won the scoring title was because of that selfish stat padding 71 point game he had.

Lol you probably got that "Malone nemesis" from this picture, didn't you?

I think the West was just as competitive as the East. In a conference filled with Barkley's Suns, Drexler's Blazers, Payton and Kemps Sonics, Stockton and Malone's Jazz, not to mention Hakeem you're telling me it wasn't as tough back then for Robinson? I am not downgrading the East, but propping up the West.
Um, No, Karl Malone was David Robinson's nemesis anybody who knows anything about 90s ball would know that by now and even though the West had some good teams, they never won it all did they? Only Hakeem's Rockets. Outside of that Michael Jordan dominated every single season. Not to mention the Penny Hardaway and Shaquille O'Neal.

You are calling David Robinson, the man who was the franchise player for the Spurs for most of the decade and who won numerous awards and dominated the basketball court on both ends of the floor, but deferred to Tim Duncan later in his career (a sign of a great teammate) a selfish stat-padder? Come on, man. If you want to talk about stat padding, talk about Michael Jordan in 1989. *troll bait*
During his younger years? Yes, Robinson was a stat padder during his younger years. His 71 point game was nothing more than a selfish accomplishment and the only reason why he even got 71 points was to be the scoring champion that year because if he never got 71 points, Shaq would've led the league in scoring. Sure Robinson deferred to Duncan later in his career, Wilt also did that to his other teammates when he realized winning was more important than stats.

Robinson's cast of players was certainly good, but not as good as Ewing. The reason why the Knicks team was good was because of their defense, if you have the 1st ranked D rating in the league it is not necessary (though of course better) to have a top 10 offense. IMO the Spurs team never really meshed together during Robinson's absolute peak years, and quite a good part of this was Rodman's lack of chemistry with the team (of course this has nothing to do with how hard he played), as getting himself suspended in key moments in the playoffs is certainly a dumbass move. I see a lot of scorers such as Del Negro, Person and Elliott, but from what I have seen they are spot-up shooters who cannot create their own shot. Wonder who gives them open looks?
If you say the Spurs never really mesh together than some of the fault falls on Robinson for not being that vocal or good of a leader like Patrick Ewing was. That was why the Knicks were always good because they always followed their leader Ewing. Reality is, Spurs were just as good of an offensive team if not better than the Knicks. Defensively, Knicks have the advantage and you have to credit Ewing for that. No random 7 footer can anchor defenses like that.

redhonda76
07-24-2009, 08:04 AM
I like your other analyses, but this is foolish. You are making it sound like any single-coveraged NBA player can score 71 points. Only 4 other players in the history of league has scored more than 70, I'm sure you know who they are. And you have the whole "letting him scoring at will" thing flip-flopped. His teammates were gunning for him not the Clips; do you honestly think that any NBA team, regardless of whether they're going to the playoffs or not would be humiliated by a scoring performance that amazing? I wouldn't, I would try to knock his ass down, which is exactly what they tried to do.
Hell, MJ scored "just" 69 on single coverage.

Of course the Clippers aren't going to admit it or else they'll be fined due to the integrity of the game. But isn't it obviously when you know David and Shaq were neck and neck on the scoring title on the last game of the season, and you see the Spurs were force-feeding the ball to David and the Clippers were playing David only a single coverage. As a coach, wouldn't you double teamed a player who was that hot. Plus the Clippers fan were even cheering for David.

"You are making it sound like any single-coveraged NBA player can score 71 points."
That's not what I meant. A great player like David should not been played with single coverage and lax defense.

As for MJ scored 69, he wasn't on single coverage. The Cavs who hated MJ's gut were constantly double teaming MJ whenever they had the chance.
There is a huge difference. The Cavs and Bull at the time were big time conference rivals. Even the Cavs fans hated MJ's gut. One time, MJ called the Cavs soft, so the fan's outside of the Cav's stadium were throwing cream puffs at MJ's picture board.

Big#50
07-24-2009, 10:07 AM
People seem to underrate Ewing severely here. If you look at Ewing at the age of 35 with bad knees and bad foot, he was still putting up very respectable numbers.

1998-1999:
Ewing's stats at age 36 vs Shaq: 20 pts, 13 reb, 3 blks

1997-1998:
Ewing's stats at age 35 vs Shaq: 29 pts, 14 reb, 3 blk

This was against a prime Shaq. How many 35 yr old centers you know who was well past his prime and played through injuries and still can play this level. The point is that Ewing's offense was not based on athleticism whereas Robinson was. Ewing might not as a flashy, likable, or exciting like Robinson, but that doesn't mean Robinson is better than Ewing by a mile or vice vera. There will be some people that will pick Ewing and there will be some people that will pick Robinson. Just like there will be some people that will pick Yao and there will be some people that will be Dwight. You really can't go wrong with either one. People like to bring up that Robinson scored 71 points. They never saw the game and was going by just stats. During that game, the Clippers never double-teamed David. Because the Clipper wasn't going to the playoffs anyway, they just let David score at will. They weren't going to let the young cocky Shaq win the scoring title over a model citizen in veteran David. Hell, Yao can score 71 points too if any team plays him in single coverage and lax defense.
Did you watch the game? The Clippers were double and triple teaming him. They were hacking the **** out him. He shot 25 ft's. DROB after the game had scratches and bruises all over. The NBA in 1994 was different. No team was going to let you go off on them, not even the Clippers. This wasn't the Raptors letting Kobe shoot 3 after 3. The Clippers were really going after him. He even hit a 3 pointer. You saying he was never doubled team, shows me you're talking out of your ass, and never even watched the game. There was a play were 3 Clippers just clawed at him in the lane. I'm talking about clawing him not hacking him. DROBS'S 71 points was amazing. The people saying he stat padded are idiots. Gervin and Thompson did battle on the last day of the season too. Michael Cage won his rebounding title on the last day too. That's not stat padding. What Kobe did was stat padding. The Clippers are not the Raptors that basically did nothing but let Kobe have his way. The 20 ft's Kobe shot in the game were on ***** fouls. DROB got hacked. I only bring up Kobe to prove a point. Not hating on him. But you said DROB had it easy which is the biggest **** I've heard. You didn't watch the game. You're a liar and talk **** you know nothing about. You been exposed, buster.

Big#50
07-24-2009, 10:27 AM

Well I liked D-Rob as a person, not much of a player though. I've always thought if he were like a foot shorter, he would just end up being an engineer or something. While as for Ewing, if he was 6 foot nothing he would still attempt and keep on playing basketball. Ewing's passion for the game of basketball is unmatched by most NBA players.
The West was tougher. The Jazz, Blazers, Sonics and Suns had great teams. The East Had Chicago. DROB a stat padding player? WOW he is probably the most unselfish player of all. The guy cared more about his Religion, Millitary, Community, and Charity work. He didn't do any stat padding.

redhonda76
07-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Did you watch the game? The Clippers were double and triple teaming him. They were hacking the **** out him. He shot 25 ft's. DROB after the game had scratches and bruises all over. The NBA in 1994 was different. No team was going to let you go off on them, not even the Clippers. This wasn't the Raptors letting Kobe shoot 3 after 3. The Clippers were really going after him. He even hit a 3 pointer. You saying he was never doubled team, shows me you're talking out of your ass, and never even watched the game. There was a play were 3 Clippers just clawed at him in the lane. I'm talking about clawing him not hacking him. DROBS'S 71 points was amazing. The people saying he stat padded are idiots. Gervin and Thompson did battle on the last day of the season too. Michael Cage won his rebounding title on the last day too. That's not stat padding. What Kobe did was stat padding. The Clippers are not the Raptors that basically did nothing but let Kobe have his way. The 20 ft's Kobe shot in the game were on ***** fouls. DROB got hacked. I only bring up Kobe to prove a point. Not hating on him. But you said DROB had it easy which is the biggest **** I've heard. You didn't watch the game. You're a liar and talk **** you know nothing about. You been exposed, buster.

I didn't watch the whole game. But look at the defense that the Clippers were giving him. You call that a double team? The team Clipper team wasn't even motivated in stopping David. All these ticky tack fouls that the Clippers were giving him just help David pile up more points. It's such an insult to the NBA standards. The defense make D'Antoni's defense look good.

Big#50
07-24-2009, 10:41 AM
I didn't watch the whole game. But look at the defense that the Clippers were giving him. You call that a double team? The team Clipper team wasn't even motivated in stopping David. All these ticky tack fouls that the Clippers were giving him just help David pile up more points. It's such an insult to the NBA standards. The defense make D'Antoni's defense look good.
You call having people clawing on you ticky tack? You didn't watch one minute of the game. Admit it. The Clippers went DROB hunting that game.

redhonda76
07-24-2009, 10:59 AM
You call having people clawing on you ticky tack? You didn't watch one minute of the game. Admit it. The Clippers went DROB hunting that game.

Wrong. I didn't watch the whole game, but I did watch part of it. You got to be joking that the Clippers were aim to shut down David. You can't be serious calling that type of defense crawling. That Clipper team plays defense? You mean to tell me that Clipper team whose record is 27-55 and zero hopes of making to the playoffs plays defense? Their starting center Elmore Spencer played only 5 minutes. Look at the Clippers minutes played, the bench played more minutes than the starters. You talked about Clipper playing serious????

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199404240LAC.html

Give me a break.

Big#50
07-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Wrong. I didn't watch the whole game, but I did watch part of it. You got to be joking that the Clippers were aim to shut down David. You can't be serious calling that type of defense crawling. That Clipper team plays defense? You mean to tell me that Clipper team whose record is 27-55 and zero hopes of making to the playoffs plays defense? Their starting center Elmore Spencer played only 5 minutes. Look at the Clippers minutes played, the bench played more minutes than the starters. You talked about Clipper playing serious????

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199404240LAC.html

Give me a break.
I don't need to look at it. I was at The Sports Arena that day. Guess why the bench played? To hack. If I remember correctly The Clippers were subbing in and out like crazy to try and mess with DROBS hot streak. Trust me, they tried everything.
***Took a peek. The Clippers F/C's had about 20 fouls between them.

redhonda76
07-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I don't need to look at it. I was at The Sports Arena that day. Guess why the bench played? To hack. If I remember correctly The Clippers were subbing in and out like crazy to try and mess with DROBS hot streak. Trust me, they tried everything.
***Took a peek. The Clippers F/C's had about 20 fouls between them.

And why do you think they hack? David shooting 25 free throw attempts at a respectable 75% for the season. Piling up the points while the clock has stopped. The hacking only works for Shaq not David. I believe you that you were in the Sports Arena that day, you just probably didn't want to believe your team just didn't played for real. What about your best players Mark Jackson, Dominque and Ron Harper who played only 20 minutes and combine total of only 2 fouls. Clippers were playing real right?

Big#50
07-24-2009, 11:31 AM
And why do you think they hack? David shooting 25 free throw attempts at a respectable 75% for the season. Piling up the points while the clock has stopped. The hacking only works for Shaq not David. I believe you that you were in the Sports Arena that day, you just probably didn't want to believe your team just didn't played for real. What about your best players Mark Jackson, Dominque and Ron Harper who played only 20 minutes and combine total of only 2 fouls. Clippers were playing real right?
I was at the Sports Arena because of the Spurs. You're underrating DROB, dude. He had his quad-double about 2 months earlier. He was balling that season.

redhonda76
07-24-2009, 11:38 AM
I was at the Sports Arena because of the Spurs. You're underrating DROB, dude. He had his quad-double about 2 months earlier. He was balling that season.

I'll give you he had the legit quad-double against the Piston because he earned that one.
There is a huge difference in scoring 71 points against a team who had zero chance of making to the playoffs and letting the whole bench played than scoring 71 points against a playoff bound team which 1 game will affect your playoff standings.

Big#50
07-24-2009, 11:49 AM
I'll give you he had the legit quad-double against the Piston because he earned that one.
There is a huge difference in scoring 71 points against a team who had zero chance of making to the playoffs and letting the whole bench played than scoring 71 points against a playoff bound team which 1 game will affect your playoff standings.
DROB had 50 points against Michigan in the NCAA tourny. He welcomed rookie Alonzo Mourning into the NBA with 52 points on 20 of 28 shooting. He had 50 against the Wolves, I think. DROB could score the ball. Stop trying to discredit his 71 points.
DROB>Ewing ...not by a lot. I'm done.

rosonviyavong
07-24-2009, 12:54 PM

What are you trying to say? That if Ewing was in the west he'd be able too beat Hakeem, Malone, and Barkley? And I know that Ewing was in the east with Jordan what the hell is your point he never beat them ..

Anti404
07-24-2009, 02:00 PM
on scoring efficiency,
D. Robinson: 1.462
P. Ewing: 1.290

oh, and to those talking about Robinson's 'lack of heart' and 'toughness', he was in the effing naval academy, had seasons of 925, 847, 837, and 823 free throw attempts(over 10 per game), played four 82 game seasons averaging at or over 36.6 minutes per game, played an 80 game season averaging over 40 minutes per game, and in his rookie year took his team from 21-61 to 56-26. also, if by "settling for jumpshots" you mean shooting nearly 52% for your career, then yeah, DRob settled for jumpshots. hah.(notes: I am not trying in anyway to discredit Ewing; he is a legendary player in his own right, and extremely undervalued by most).

ShaqAttack3234
07-24-2009, 02:55 PM
1994 NBA Finals
Hakeem Olajuwon - 26.9 pgg, 9.1 rpg, 3.6 apg, 1.6 spg, 3.9 bpg, 50.0 FG%
Patrick Ewing - 18.9 ppg, 12.4 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.3 spg, 4.3 bpg, 36.3 FG%
I can say the same thing and say "Robinson defended him well but Hakeem hit a lot of tough shots." IMO Hakeem is just too damn good for both of them, it also shows through the stats that Ewing did not really have the best offensive performance during those finals; his season averages of 24.5 ppg and 49.6 FG%? Much bigger drop than Robinson.

Ewing had a bigger dropoff from his season offensively, but his rebounds, blocks and steals all went up and he blocked more shots and grabbed a lot more rebounds than Hakeem. Robinson was completely dominated in every aspect of the game. Watching the series it just seemed that Ewing played Olajuwon tougher and he did atleast hold Olajuwon under his season averages in ppg, rpg and FG%. Olajuwon did struggle at times during the Knicks series as well, he'd go through cold stretches, he'd get fatigued. The Knicks really played him tough, particularly Ewing. While it's true that Ewing played worse offensively, he ended up closer to Olajuwon's scoring average than Robinson did. And Ewing did set some blocked shots records in that series, he defintley did his job defensively. You can score 27 ppg/50% shooting while hitting tough shots against good defense. You don't score 35 ppg on 56% shooting hitting tough shots against the same type of defense. Another difference is that throughout the 1994 finals it didn't feel like Hakeem was just dominating the series, but it did in the 1995 WCF when he did whatever he wanted vs Robinson and would take over games with 40 points.

CB4GOATPF
07-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Robinson was Better

I hate to admit it but its truth :confusedshrug:

I never liked Robinson...i always felt he let himself go in the play-offs and should have had more toughness despice his initialy crappy teams.

Robinson had a very weak team initially in his career up until 1997, especially Defensively.

While Ewing had a Way Superior Defensive Team than Robinson and if you come up with the series between them against Hakeem: well he against the Knicks was not only guarded by Ewing but doubled etc and by Mason. The Knicks by far had a Superior Defensive Frontline while Robinson had a slightly better Offensive Perimeter Team or Slashing Team but Overal Weaker Team.

Robinson had to do more for his Weaker Team on both Offense and Defense:

Robinson was just Better

Offense:

Mid Range Shooting: Equal
Far Range Shooting: ofcourse Ewing (Best Pure Shooting Center of All Time)
Post Fadeways: Ewing
Front Up Shooting: Equal
1 on 1 Off the Dribble Attack: Robinson by Miles
Drive to the Basket: Robinson by Miles
Ballhandling: Robinson
Coast to Coast: Robinson by Miles (One of the Very Few Centers Capable of Dribbling Full Court. Was a Slashy-like version of Ralph Sampson in a Stronger yet Shorter Version
Causing Missmatches/Double Teaming: Robinson by Miles

Defense:

Man to Man Interior Defense: Ewing (Stronger Torso)
Overall Interior Defense:[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"] Robinson (Could Guard More Paint Area do do Athletic Capacity: Leap, Speed, Quickness and ofcourse Wingspam)
Shot Blocking: Slight Edge to Robinson do again Athletic Capacity and Wingspam: etc
Team Defense/Fill in Lanes etc: Robinson, again do to Athletic Capacity
Floor Defense: Robinson (due to agility, wingspam, foot speed)
Rebounding: Robinson (Wingspam and Leap Helped)
Game Creating: Robinson
Passing: Robinson
Clutch: Shooting Ewing
Clutch Overall Play: Robinson
Mental Toughness: Ewing

Athletics:

Torso Strength: Slight Edge to Ewing
Floor Strength: Ewing
Arm Strength: Ewing
Overall Body Strength: Robinson
Speed: Robinson by Miles
Quickness: Robinson by Miles
Agility: Robinson by Miles
Leaping Ability: Robinson

Robinson`s Impact

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/robinda01.html

Offense:

Robinson Was a Better Offensive Player due to his: Capacity to Drive, Cause Missmatches, Ballhandling Abilities and Athletic Capacity: Speed, Quickness, Leaping Ability and Wingspam

*Caused More Difficutlies to Stop
*Was More Doubled
*Wen`t More to the Line
*More ofa Missmatch

Season Offensive Rating

1993-94 NBA 119.2 (6)
1994-95 NBA 119.9 (10)
Career NBA 116.3 (28)
Career 116.3 (26)

Season Free Throw Attempts

1989-90 NBA 837 (2)
1990-91 NBA 777 (2)
1991-92 NBA 561 (4)
1992-93 NBA 766 (2)
1993-94 NBA 925 (1)
1994-95 NBA 847 (2)
1995-96 NBA 823 (1)
1997-98 NBA 660 (4)
1998-99 NBA 363 (8)
Career NBA 8201 (11)

Defense:

Season Defensive Rating

1989-90 NBA 96.8 (2)
1990-91 NBA 95.9 (2)
1991-92 NBA 94.4 (1)
1992-93 NBA 99.9 (6)
1993-94 NBA 98.0 (8)
1994-95 NBA 98.6 (3)
1995-96 NBA 96.5 (1)
1997-98 NBA 93.6 (1)
1998-99 NBA 87.9 (1)
1999-00 NBA 92.2 (1)
2000-01 NBA 92.1 (2)
2001-02 NBA 94.9 (2)
2002-03 NBA 94.9 (3)
Career NBA 95.6 (6)

Player Impact of Efficiency Per Minute:

Season Player Efficiency Rating

1989-90 NBA 26.3 (5)
1990-91 NBA 27.4 (3)
1991-92 NBA 27.5 (2)
1992-93 NBA 24.2 (6)
1993-94 NBA 30.7 (1)
1994-95 NBA 29.1 (1)
1995-96 NBA 29.4 (1)
1997-98 NBA 27.8 (3)
1998-99 NBA 24.9 (3)
1999-00 NBA 24.6 (5)
2000-01 NBA 23.7 (10)
Career NBA 26.2 (4)

Ewing`s Impact:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/ewingpa01.html

Offense:

Ewing was not as Great Offensive Player as Robinson despite being a better shooter:

Wen`t less to line (did not cause as much missmatches), caused less precupation (double teaming) and a lower ORT:

They both shot at very similar FG% though...Ewings shooting was overall Better.

*Do not Count Stats for a Post 1996-97 Ewing that was passed his prime

*Do not Count Stats for a Post 1995-96 Robinson, not because it was his end of his prime but because he "never played the same again" due to injuries....

Ofcourse in the Last Seconds for a Jumper i would give to Ewing do tu Clutch Shooting

Season Free Throw Attempts

1989-90 NBA 648 (5)
1990-91 NBA 623 (5)
1991-92 NBA 511 (8)
1992-93 NBA 556 (10)
1993-94 NBA 582 (4)
1994-95 NBA 560 (7)
1996-97 NBA 582 (6)
Career NBA 7289 (20)

Season Defensive Rating

1987-88 NBA 101.3 (5)
1989-90 NBA 102.9 (10)
1990-91 NBA 101.5 (6)
1991-92 NBA 98.4 (2)
1992-93 NBA 94.3 (1)
1993-94 NBA 92.9 (1)
1994-95 NBA 98.3 (2)
1995-96 NBA 97.9 (5)
1996-97 NBA 95.7 (2)
1998-99 NBA 91.3 (2)
1999-00 NBA 97.0 (9)
Career NBA 99.1 (29)
Career 99.1 (29)

Player Per Minute Impact:

Season Player Efficiency Rating

1988-89 NBA 22.1 (8)
1989-90 NBA 25.8 (6)
1990-91 NBA 23.7 (8)
1991-92 NBA 22.8 (9)
1993-94 NBA 22.9 (7)
1994-95 NBA 21.9 (9)
Career NBA 21.0 (39)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Play-Offs:

Player Impact of Efficiency Per Minute

Yearly Playoffs Leaders and Records for Player Efficiency Rating

1998 NBA Shaquille O'Neal 31.00
1997 NBA Anfernee Hardaway 29.88
1996 NBA David Robinson* 29.10
1995 NBA Kevin Johnson 27.36
1994 NBA Charles Barkley* 27.85
1993 NBA Michael Jordan* 30.06
1992 NBA Michael Jordan* 27.24
1991 NBA Michael Jordan* 32.04
1990 NBA Michael Jordan* 31.63
1989 NBA Michael Jordan* 29.90
1988 NBA Hakeem Olajuwon* 38.95
1987 NBA Hakeem Olajuwon* 28.46
1986 NBA Spud Webb 25.74
1985 NBA Michael Jordan* 24.72
1984 NBA Bernard King 27.60
1983 NBA Moses Malone* 25.72
1982 NBA Julius Erving* 22.46
1981 NBA Marques Johnson 27.65
1980 NBA Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 27.91
1979 NBA Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 26.54

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/per_career_p.html

Career Playoffs Leaders and Records for Player Efficiency Rating

NBA

Rank Player PER

1. Michael Jordan* 28.59
2. George Mikan* 28.51
3. LeBron James 26.83
4. Shaquille O'Neal 26.47
5. Tim Duncan 26.09
6. Hakeem Olajuwon* 25.69
7. Tracy McGrady 24.66
8. Dirk Nowitzki 24.45
9. Charles Barkley* 24.18
10. Dwyane Wade 23.58
11. Dolph Schayes* 23.25
12. Kevin Garnett 23.19
13. Jerry West* 23.06
14. David Robinson* 23.02
48. Patrick Ewing* 19.63

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/def_rtg_yearly_p.html

Yearly Playoffs Leaders and Records for Defensive Rating

Year Lg Player DRtg

2009 NBA Dwight Howard 98.35
2008 NBA Tim Duncan 98.51
2007 NBA Tyrus Thomas 92.52
2006 NBA Alonzo Mourning 95.13
2005 NBA Ben Wallace 93.48
2004 NBA Ben Wallace 83.91
2003 NBA Ben Wallace 90.51
2002 NBA Ben Wallace 86.38
2001 NBA David Robinson* 92.42
2000 NBA David Robinson* 84.01
1999 NBA David Robinson* 87.33
1998 NBA David Robinson* 93.42
1997 NBA Alonzo Mourning 94.64
1996 NBA Scottie Pippen 96.07
1995 NBA David Robinson* 97.53
1994 NBA Patrick Ewing* 94.34
1993 NBA Hakeem Olajuwon* 96.56
1992 NBA Dennis Rodman 99.35
1991 NBA Scottie Pippen 99.52
--------------------------------------------------

*Will not Include Win Shares, Defensive Win Shares or Offensive Win Shares...because they all depend "More, Way More" on Who Sorrounds You.

*Its clear Ewing had the Better Team Overal till 1997, especially Defensive Wise.

*Robison was quite along till Timy Arrived and Sadly for the Spors he was "Not Even Close to the Same Robinson do to Injury"

* A Healthy Robinson with Duncan would have probably been 2 or 3 Rings More

------------------------------------------------------------------

Head to Head:

*To be More Fair for BOTH PLAYERS:

Will Only Count the Head to Head Meetings Betwen 1989 to 1995-96

A Total of 13 (68.4%) of There Total 19 Meetings

Robinson ages: 24-30
Ewing ages: 27-33

because...why?

*Robinson Never Played the Same Again after the 1995-96 season due to injury as i said before and

*Ewing was pretty much passed his prime after 1996 (he is older too so i can`t count the meetings after that)

Robinson:

TMin: 510
MPG: 39.2 (Played 1 Min More)

TPts: 314
FGs/FGAs: 125/235
FGAs PG: 18.1 (Shot Less)
PPG: 24.2 (Scored More)
FG%: 53.2% (Shot Way Higher %)
FTs/FTAs: 85 /127
FT%: 66.92%
TRBs: 129
RPG: 9.9 (Rebounded Less)
TBlks: 40
BPG: 3.08 (Blocked Same)
TAsts: 41
APG: 3.2 (Passed Better)
TStls: 25
SPG: 1.92 (Stole Better)
TTOV: 48
TOV PG: 3.69 (Turned the Ball Same)
TPFs: 49
PF PG: 3.8 (Commited Less Fouls)

Ewing

TMin: 497

MPG: 38.2 (Played a Minute Less)

TPts: 292
FGs/FGAs: 122/289
FGAs PG: 22.2 (Shot More)
PPG: 22.5 (Scored Less)
FG%: 42.2% (Way Less Effective)
FTs/FTAs: 42 / 60
FT%: 70% (Shot Better FT, Well Always Had :confusedshrug: )
TRBs: 144
RPG: 11.1 (Rebounded Better)
TBlks: 40
BPG: 3.08 (Same)
TAsts: 38
APG: 2.9 (Passed Lesser)
TStls:15
SPG: 1.15 (Stole Less)
TTOV: 3.8
TOV PG: 49 (Turned the Ball Same)
TPFs: 54
PF PG: 4.2 (Fouled More)

CB4GOATPF
07-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Finally Pure All Around Skills of Efficiency...

http://www.databasebasketball.com/leaders/leaderscareer.htm?stat=eff&lg=n

Career EFF Leaders

Player EFF Seasons
1 Wilt Chamberlain 41.50 14
2 Bill Russell 31.71 13
3 Oscar Robertson 31.61 14
4 Bob Pettit 31.11 11
5 Kareem Abdul-jabbar 30.93 20
6 Larry Bird 29.77 13
7 Elgin Baylor 29.74 14
8 Michael Jordan 29.19 15
9 Magic Johnson 29.10 13
10 Charles Barkley 28.16 16
11 Jerry Lucas 28.13 11
12 LeBron James 27.20 6
13 Hakeem Olajuwon 27.17 18
14 Shaquille O'neal 27.11 17
15 Jerry West 27.10 14
16 David Robinson 26.98 14

37 Patrick Ewing 23.41 17

Looks like Ewing took it to himself to Defend well against (Same BPG and Better RPG) Robinson but...

Its quite Clear that Robinson was just "The Better Player" Overall!

Offensively (especially do to his Aethletic Versatility and Ballhandling): Better 1 on 1 Player, Skilled Off the Dribble Scorer, Could Coast to Coast Constantu, Caused More Missmatch Problems, Better All Around Defensively, Better Game Creating Wise, Better Passing Wise, Could Cause More Double Teaming, Got Fouled More, Superior Floor Defender (Athletic Capacity: Agility, Speed and Wingspam helped), Stealer, Better Leaper, More Agil, Faster, Quicker etc

Ewing was the Better Far Range Shooter, Skilled Post Player, Fadeaway Shooter, More Clutch Shooter, Tougher Mentally, Stronger Lower Torso, Stronger Arm Strength, More Tempered, More Agressive, Had More Heart ...but

... :no: still not enough to be better than Robinson

I hate to say the truth but Robinson was just better and this is comming from an Anti-Robinson dude....(he could have been much better if he actually had some balls to take the game personally)

:confusedshrug:

Greets

ClutchCity95
07-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Most of the stats evident by most posters I've read which is all of you minus Sir Charles. Are Stats from the regular season, people don't realize Robinson downplayed a bit in the playoffs. Now, I am not saying Ewing was clutch and completely elevated his play, but he played about the same from regular season to the playoffs.

Shepseskaf
07-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Stop trying to discredit his 71 points.
That game needs to be discredited. Not to disrespect DRob's ability, but the only reason he was allowed to score that many points was with big-time cooperation from the opposing team and from the refs. The sole purpose was to overtake Shaq for the scoring title.

I watched that game. It was disgraceful.

Big#50
07-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Most of the stats evident by most posters I've read which is all of you minus Sir Charles. Are Stats from the regular season, people don't realize Robinson downplayed a bit in the playoffs. Now, I am not saying Ewing was clutch and completely elevated his play, but he played about the same from regular season to the playoffs.
David had to deal with Defenses doubling him in the playoffs because nobody respected the other Spurs players. Look what he did his first 2 seasons with a semi decent team.

D.J.
07-26-2009, 10:03 PM
In terms of overall play, Robinson was the better player, offensively and defensively. But, he also had the tendency to have mediocre performances in the playoffs. For 82 regular season games, I would rather have Robinson. But, for four rounds of playoff games, give me Ewing.

RocketGreatness
07-26-2009, 10:07 PM
In terms of overall play, Robinson was the better player, offensively and defensively. But, he also had the tendency to have mediocre performances in the playoffs. For 82 regular season games, I would rather have Robinson. But, for four rounds of playoff games, give me Ewing.
Agreed, this is a more respectable answer from somebody who picks Robinson, I don't know why people keep saying Robinson by a landslide especially when most of Robinson's most dominant stats were in the regular season.

I'll repeat what I just said, and delete and re-post my last post.

Ewing for the playoffs, Robinson for the regular season. Most of Robinson's dominant stats came from the Regular season not the playoffs. Although, Ewing didn't elevate his play as much either in the playoffs, it didn't drop as low as Robinson's did. Robinson was a more athletic freak of nature, while Ewing was the more polished and skilled player. It's pretty much Skill vs Athleticism, not that Ewing doesn't have any athletic ability and not that Robinson doesn't have any skill.

D.J.
07-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Agreed, this is a more respectable answer from somebody who picks Robinson, I don't know why people keep saying Robinson by a landslide especially when most of Robinson's most dominant stats were in the regular season.

I'll repeat what I just said, and delete and re-post my last post.

Ewing for the playoffs, Robinson for the regular season. Most of Robinson's dominant stats came from the Regular season not the playoffs. Although, Ewing didn't elevate his play as much either in the playoffs, it didn't drop as low as Robinson's did. Robinson was a more athletic freak of nature, while Ewing was the more polished and skilled player. It's pretty much Skill vs Athleticism, not that Ewing doesn't have any athletic ability and not that Robinson doesn't have any skill.

It's not quite a landslide, but it's not that close either. Robinson was a great scorer, had a nice jump shot, great rebounder, shot blocker, and could run the floor like a 6'2" guard. Very few other big men, if any, could do what Robinson did. The only problem is he was not the most reliable. Here are stats from games facing elimination from 1991 on for Admiral and Ewing:

Admiral
-18.1 PPG
-11.6 RPG
-2.7 APG
-2.0 BPG
-1.7 SPG
-39.9% shooting

Ewing
-21.5 PPG
-12.8 PPG
-2.0 APG
-1.9 BPG
-0.7 SPG
-46.9% shooting

However, what it doesn't tell you is that 1)Ewing was more consistent, and 2)Ewing came through, even when he was 35+ and way past his prime.

IcanzIIravor
07-26-2009, 11:36 PM
In your opinion who do you think was the better player overall, taking into account peak years, playoff performance, longevity of career and legacy, and impact on the game? I'm not too well-informed on two of these players but as a hunch I would like to say that David Robinson was the better player due to his accomplishments and dominance in the court compared to Patrick Ewing, who was blessed with a much better team during the early/mid 90s.

Your thoughts?

I'll take the Admiral. His defense was far better than Ewings, while their offense cancelled each other out.

RocketGreatness
07-27-2009, 01:59 AM
It's not quite a landslide, but it's not that close either. Robinson was a great scorer, had a nice jump shot, great rebounder, shot blocker, and could run the floor like a 6'2" guard. Very few other big men, if any, could do what Robinson did. The only problem is he was not the most reliable. Here are stats from games facing elimination from 1991 on for Admiral and Ewing:

Admiral
-18.1 PPG
-11.6 RPG
-2.7 APG
-2.0 BPG
-1.7 SPG
-39.9% shooting

Ewing
-21.5 PPG
-12.8 PPG
-2.0 APG
-1.9 BPG
-0.7 SPG
-46.9% shooting

However, what it doesn't tell you is that 1)Ewing was more consistent, and 2)Ewing came through, even when he was 35+ and way past his prime.
Well it does show you that Ewing was more reliable on offense, Admiral shot %'s you see guys like Allen Iverson averages, despite the fact that Admiral was a center and not a wing player. Ewing got further as a leader than Robinson ever did, when the Knicks made the Finals in 94. Although, Jordan had been retired then, it still accounts for something. The 90s East was tougher than the 90s West in my opinion. The playoffs is when you take Skill over athleticism, that's why I hate it when people say well 2 points = 2 points it doesn't matter how you got it when people say that's it's like taking Karl Malone over Tim Duncan since Malone was the more efficient scorer than Duncan was. But I think it's quite clear Duncan was better offensively and scoring wise due to his fundamentally style of play, while Malone was more of a finisher.

AirJordan23
07-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Robinson was like the stastical dream. Up to the mid 90s, he was right up there with Hakeem as the best center in the league. There's not a single thing the man couldn't on the court. He even brought the ball up the court and showed his passing abilities after Strickland had left since the Spurs had no real PG. Avery was given starting PG duties after '94. He was a great ball handler for a big, he had a real nice face up game, he could score with the best of em, rebound, had great hand-eye co-ordination, great rebounder and a very good defensive player. But, here's the thing, in the '95 WCF, Hakeem destroyed him. There's simply no other way to put it. Robinson had his head down and deep down he knew there was nothing he could do to stop him. His confidence was at an all time low, he didn't show any leadership skills and was exposed as "soft." After that, all thoughts about the best center in the league were cleared. Hakeem was the newly crowned champ. Robinson didn't have that firepower, the leader's mentality or the presence to intimidate others. After that, Shaq bullied him. Dunking on his face, doing the black tornadoes and just completely destroying him. Malone elbowed and knocked Robinson out in '97. You could tell the '95 WCF was a major setback for Robinson. He was the reigning MVP and to get outplayed like that, it must've meant something. Robinson needed Duncan. That's how it is in the history books.

Ewing WASN'T more skilled than Robinson. Whoever said that is on crack. Ewing wasn't as good of a passer or offensive player. Period. Ewing was good, though. Real good. Bringing up the '94 finals, here. Robinson played better against Hakeem than Ewing did. But, here's my point. Ewing kept coming back and wanting it more while Robinson backed out. He didn't want none of Hakeem. He was passive and didn't play like his real self. Ewing had the heart and soul to win. You could tell he wanted it badly. His finals performance was pathetic on so many levels but he still kept coming back despite all the injuries.

So, you can have Robinson's great all around play and stats but the lack of leadership skills or vice versa you can have Ewing. I'd take Ewing.

CB4GOATPF
07-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Yearly Playoffs Leaders and Records for Player Efficiency Rating

1998 NBA Shaquille O'Neal 31.00
1997 NBA Anfernee Hardaway 29.88
1996 NBA David Robinson* 29.10
1995 NBA Kevin Johnson 27.36
1994 NBA Charles Barkley* 27.85
1993 NBA Michael Jordan* 30.06
1992 NBA Michael Jordan* 27.24
1991 NBA Michael Jordan* 32.04
1990 NBA Michael Jordan* 31.63
1989 NBA Michael Jordan* 29.90
1988 NBA Hakeem Olajuwon* 38.95
1987 NBA Hakeem Olajuwon* 28.46
1986 NBA Spud Webb 25.74
1985 NBA Michael Jordan* 24.72
1984 NBA Bernard King 27.60
1983 NBA Moses Malone* 25.72
1982 NBA Julius Erving* 22.46
1981 NBA Marques Johnson 27.65
1980 NBA Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 27.91
1979 NBA Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 26.54

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/per_career_p.html

Career Playoffs Leaders and Records for Player Efficiency Rating

NBA

Rank Player PER

1. Michael Jordan* 28.59
2. George Mikan* 28.51
3. LeBron James 26.83
4. Shaquille O'Neal 26.47
5. Tim Duncan 26.09
6. Hakeem Olajuwon* 25.69
7. Tracy McGrady 24.66
8. Dirk Nowitzki 24.45
9. Charles Barkley* 24.18
10. Dwyane Wade 23.58
11. Dolph Schayes* 23.25
12. Kevin Garnett 23.19
13. Jerry West* 23.06
14. David Robinson* 23.02
48. Patrick Ewing* 19.63

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/def_rtg_yearly_p.html

Yearly Playoffs Leaders and Records for Defensive Rating

Year Lg Player DRtg

2009 NBA Dwight Howard 98.35
2008 NBA Tim Duncan 98.51
2007 NBA Tyrus Thomas 92.52
2006 NBA Alonzo Mourning 95.13
2005 NBA Ben Wallace 93.48
2004 NBA Ben Wallace 83.91
2003 NBA Ben Wallace 90.51
2002 NBA Ben Wallace 86.38
2001 NBA David Robinson* 92.42
2000 NBA David Robinson* 84.01
1999 NBA David Robinson* 87.33
1998 NBA David Robinson* 93.42
1997 NBA Alonzo Mourning 94.64
1996 NBA Scottie Pippen 96.07
1995 NBA David Robinson* 97.53
1994 NBA Patrick Ewing* 94.34
1993 NBA Hakeem Olajuwon* 96.56
1992 NBA Dennis Rodman 99.35
1991 NBA Scottie Pippen 99.52

Robinson was Better.

Hate to Say It....but Its True....

Big#50
07-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Robinson was like the stastical dream. Up to the mid 90s, he was right up there with Hakeem as the best center in the league. There's not a single thing the man couldn't on the court. He even brought the ball up the court and showed his passing abilities after Strickland had left since the Spurs had no real PG. Avery was given starting PG duties after '94. He was a great ball handler for a big, he had a real nice face up game, he could score with the best of em, rebound, had great hand-eye co-ordination, great rebounder and a very good defensive player. But, here's the thing, in the '95 WCF, Hakeem destroyed him. There's simply no other way to put it. Robinson had his head down and deep down he knew there was nothing he could do to stop him. His confidence was at an all time low, he didn't show any leadership skills and was exposed as "soft." After that, all thoughts about the best center in the league were cleared. Hakeem was the newly crowned champ. Robinson didn't have that firepower, the leader's mentality or the presence to intimidate others. After that, Shaq bullied him. Dunking on his face, doing the black tornadoes and just completely destroying him. Malone elbowed and knocked Robinson out in '97. You could tell the '95 WCF was a major setback for Robinson. He was the reigning MVP and to get outplayed like that, it must've meant something. Robinson needed Duncan. That's how it is in the history books.

Ewing WASN'T more skilled than Robinson. Whoever said that is on crack. Ewing wasn't as good of a passer or offensive player. Period. Ewing was good, though. Real good. Bringing up the '94 finals, here. Robinson played better against Hakeem than Ewing did. But, here's my point. Ewing kept coming back and wanting it more while Robinson backed out. He didn't want none of Hakeem. He was passive and didn't play like his real self. Ewing had the heart and soul to win. You could tell he wanted it badly. His finals performance was pathetic on so many levels but he still kept coming back despite all the injuries.

So, you can have Robinson's great all around play and stats but the lack of leadership skills or vice versa you can have Ewing. I'd take Ewing.
People act like Hakeem had not scored 35+ points on DROB before the WCF. Hakeem would always have games like that against DROB. The WCF was just a bigger stage. DROB had no chance guarding Hakeem. Hakeem had no chance guarding DROB. DROB would go man to man. The Rockets would throw mixes of Hakeem one on one, or 2 to 3 bodies at DROB. Shaq would dunk on DROB all the time, but he would also get blocks on Shaq. He would hack Shaq. Shaq even tried to fight David a couple of times because of the hacking and DROB not backing down from Shaq. You have no clue wtf you're saying. Malone elbowed a lot of people even Shaq. Anything else?

RocketGreatness
07-27-2009, 12:30 PM

Robinson was out for the season in the 1996-1997 season, and the Spurs didn't make the playoffs in 1997 either because that was the year the Spurs were in the lottery and managed to get Tim Duncan on there team. That's why David Robinson has the infamous name of "The David Robinson Season." Because they managed to get the greatest power forward to ever play after winning the lottery in 1997.

However, the playoffs you were thinking of is the 1998 playoffs and Yes, I also remember Karl Malone constantly punking David Robinson in that series. Ewing was almost just as skilled, he was certainly more reliable offensively, in terms of overall and all-around skills it goes to Robinson due to his defensive abilities that Ewing could never dream of doing. In my opinion, Ewing was more polished and skilled scorer, Admiral at times settled for too much jumpers and never used his size to his greatest advantage like Ewing did.

DKLaker
07-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Robinson was out for the season in the 1996-1997 season, and the Spurs didn't make the playoffs in 1997 either because that was the year the Spurs were in the lottery and managed to get Tim Duncan on there team. That's why David Robinson has the infamous name of "The David Robinson Season." Because they managed to get the greatest power forward to ever play after winning the lottery in 1997.

However, the playoffs you were thinking of is the 1998 playoffs and Yes, I also remember Karl Malone constantly punking David Robinson in that series. Ewing was almost just as skilled, he was certainly more reliable offensively, in terms of overall and all-around skills it goes to Robinson due to his defensive abilities that Ewing could never dream of doing. In my opinion, Ewing was more polished and skilled scorer, Admiral at times settled for too much jumpers and never used his size to his greatest advantage like Ewing did.

Haha, sweetest KO in NBA history, Robinson Vs. Malone's Elbow :roll:

greymatter
07-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Admiral shot %'s you see guys like Allen Iverson averages,

Robinson's season by season FG%s:

Career avg: 51.8%

Not only are your opinions retarded, but your grasp of facts leaves much to be desired. Allen Iverson %es indeed.

AirJordan23
07-27-2009, 06:23 PM
People act like Hakeem had not scored 35+ points on DROB before the WCF. Hakeem would always have games like that against DROB. The WCF was just a bigger stage. DROB had no chance guarding Hakeem.
Ok. I'm not sure what's your point but the WCF was where it mattered. These 2 had never met in the playoffs before and never met again. This was like the ultiamte showdown to prove who was better. I'm pretty sure the consensus doesn't consider the Hakeem/Robinson comparison one sided if the Spurs had won like it does now.
Hakeem had no chance guarding DROB. DROB would go man to man. The Rockets would throw mixes of Hakeem one on one, or 2 to 3 bodies at DROB.
Robinson was definitely doubled more than Hakeem because the Rockets' role players would kill you if you left them open. Admiral's team wasn't as well built as Hakeem's but they were pretty talented. Rodman, Elliot, Johnson and a pretty deep bench consisting of Chuck Person, Reid, Doc, Willie Anderson and Terry Cummings. Also don't act like Olajuwon wasn't doubled. Doubling and trapping Olajuwon was the reason the Spurs won game 3. Olajuwon mostly had single coverage in games 1 and 2 but the Spurs changed their game plan after that.

And my problem isn't even with Hakeem outplaying him. It's with Robinson's mentality. You could tell he was down. In one of the huddles I remember, Avery Johnson made it clear that the Spurs couldn't count on David and the team had to step up. At that point Johnson had become the team leader which is my problem. I'd have like to seen toughness and leadership qualities from Robinson. Robinson had his head down, lacked confidence and even admitted that he couldn't guard the Dream. For a reigning MVP to say that, it means alot. I also remember Rodman not respecting him, there was something up with that. Rodman mentioned that Robinson wasn't particularly fearless or confident going into the series in one of his autobiographies.

Shaq would dunk on DROB all the time, but he would also get blocks on Shaq. He would hack Shaq. Shaq even tried to fight David a couple of times because of the hacking and DROB not backing down from Shaq.
:oldlol: @ this. Shaq often destroyed Robinson which was my point in the first place. And vice versa. Shaq's individual defense was never great which is why Robinson and Hakeem did well scoring against him. Their head to head up till 1998 (Robinson's last good season) are pretty even. The Spurs might have an edge by a few wins because Orlando in Shaq's first and second season was never that spectacular.

You have no clue wtf you're saying.Malone elbowed a lot of people even Shaq. Anything else?
Coming from a guy who made the Tim Duncan top 5 all time thread and a case for GOAT :roll:

Big#50
07-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Ok. I'm not sure what's your point but the WCF was where it mattered. These 2 had never met in the playoffs before and never met again. This was like the ultiamte showdown to prove who was better. I'm pretty sure the consensus doesn't consider the Hakeem/Robinson comparison one sided if the Spurs had won like it does now.
Robinson was definitely doubled more than Hakeem because the Rockets' role players would kill you if you left them open. Admiral's team wasn't as well built as Hakeem's but they were pretty talented. Rodman, Elliot, Johnson and a pretty deep bench consisting of Chuck Person, Reid, Doc, Willie Anderson and Terry Cummings. Also don't act like Olajuwon wasn't doubled. Doubling and trapping Olajuwon was the reason the Spurs won game 3. Olajuwon mostly had single coverage in games 1 and 2 but the Spurs changed their game plan after that.

And my problem isn't even with Hakeem outplaying him. It's with Robinson's mentality. You could tell he was down. In one of the huddles I remember, Avery Johnson made it clear that the Spurs couldn't count on David and the team had to step up. At that point Johnson had become the team leader which is my problem. I'd have like to seen toughness and leadership qualities from Robinson. Robinson had his head down, lacked confidence and even admitted that he couldn't guard the Dream. For a reigning MVP to say that, it means alot. I also remember Rodman not respecting him, there was something up with that. Rodman mentioned that Robinson wasn't particularly fearless or confident going into the series in one of his autobiographies.

:oldlol: @ this. Shaq often destroyed Robinson which was my point in the first place. And vice versa. Shaq's individual defense was never great which is why Robinson and Hakeem did well scoring against him. Their head to head up till 1998 (Robinson's last good season) are pretty even. The Spurs might have an edge by a few wins because Orlando in Shaq's first and second season was never that spectacular.

Coming from a guy who made the Tim Duncan top 5 all time thread and a case for GOAT :roll:
Tim Duncan is a top 5 player of all time. You make some good points. Duncan will win another ring. Maybe, he will get the respect he deserves.

Shepseskaf
07-27-2009, 06:31 PM
In one of the huddles I remember, Avery Johnson made it clear that the Spurs couldn't count on David and the team had to step up. At that point Johnson had become the team leader which is my problem.
+1

I recall that moment clearly. Avery had the team around him and he just came right out and said, "we can't count on David." To make it worse, DRob was sitting right there on the scorer's table and didn't say a word. Unbelievable moment -- it showed that a journeyman point guard was more respected on the team than its best player; a HOF-caliber talent.

DRob, with all of his skills, was soft. No way around it. I'll take Ewing every time, but especially in a must-win situation.

AirJordan23
07-27-2009, 06:33 PM

Ok. So I was off by one year.

However, the playoffs you were thinking of is the 1998 playoffs and Yes, I also remember Karl Malone constantly punking David Robinson in that series. Ewing was almost just as skilled, he was certainly more reliable offensively, in terms of overall and all-around skills it goes to Robinson due to his defensive abilities that Ewing could never dream of doing.
How can you say Ewing was more reliable offensively? Ewing was not close to the passer Robinson was and a blackhole. Robinson was much more agile, versatile, had a much better face up game. Ewing's post game consisted of a turnaround jumper, fadeaway and a running hook down the lane. Those were the only moves he had. But, obviously the point that effectives is all that matters comes into play. Robinson's subpar play in the playoffs has more to do with mentality than anything.

And Ewing was just as good as Robinson defensively. He anchored the best defensive team in the league ('93 Knicks). His pick and roll defense is one of the best I've ever seen. He was great at trapping the guard while just as good at getting back in time and returning to his man. It's like he was a presence all over the court. And due to showing his emotions, being vocal on the court, he often brought the best out of his team. Ewing was just as good of a shot blocker as Robinson. His post defense was remarkable as well. Zo didn't have a particularly great time dealing with him in some of the playoff match ups.

In my opinion, Ewing was more polished and skilled scorer, Admiral at times settled for too much jumpers and never used his size to his greatest advantage like Ewing did.

Ewing wasn't the more polished and skilled scorer. I hate to bring up the 71 point game here because it's pretty irrelevant since Robinson was fed the ball the whole time. But, it showed his true scoring ability and versatility. And Robinson did have post moves. It's just that he was a better face up player due to his agility, strength, speed and ability to put the ball on the floor.

RocketGreatness
07-27-2009, 06:46 PM
And Ewing was just as good as Robinson defensively. He anchored the best defensive team in the league ('93 Knicks). His pick and roll defense is one of the best I've ever seen. He was great at trapping the guard while just as good at getting back in time and returning to his man. It's like he was a presence all over the court. And due to showing his emotions, being vocal on the court, he often brought the best out of his team. Ewing was just as good of a shot blocker as Robinson. His post defense was remarkable as well. Zo didn't have a particularly great time dealing with him in some of the playoff match ups.
I agree that Ewing is underrated defensively for anchoring one of the best defenses in all-time history. However, back in the 90s there wasn't that much pick n rolls and he wasn't the most athletic or mobile so I'm not very sure if he was that good at defending them. His post defense was better than The Admiral's, but Robinson was the better shot blocker and also better at stripping the ball.

Ewing wasn't the more polished and skilled scorer. I hate to bring up the 71 point game here because it's pretty irrelevant since Robinson was fed the ball the whole time. But, it showed his true scoring ability and versatility. And Robinson did have post moves. It's just that he was a better face up player due to his agility, strength, speed and ability to put the ball on the floor.
Face up, Yes Robinson gets the edge. But in terms of back to the basket, Ewing was better. Back to basket relies on more skill, while face up relies on more athleticism. Ewing was more of a face up player, so I do see your point.

AirJordan23
07-27-2009, 07:02 PM
I agree that Ewing is underrated defensively for anchoring one of the best defenses in all-time history. However, back in the 90s there wasn't that much pick n rolls and he wasn't the most athletic or mobile so I'm not very sure if he was that good at defending them. His post defense was better than The Admiral's, but Robinson was the better shot blocker and also better at stripping the ball.
Pick and roll is a basic and an effective play. Not sure how it wasn't used a lot in the 90s because I saw it a gazillion times. And Ewing was a stud at defending it. He didn't rely on a lot of athleticism though that's an aspect of his game that is often overlooked. Pre-injuries Ewing was pretty athletic. Post defense, Ewing takes it. Ewing was as good of a shot blocker IMO. Ewing put up 4 BPG one year and was consistently one of the league leaders in blocks. And you have to remember Ewing's team was stacked with great perimeter defenders. Starks, Anthony, Rivers, McDaniel, Wilkins etc. They were great at cutting down penetration. But, I can see you considering Robinson the better shot blocker. Robinson is better stastically.

Face up, Yes Robinson gets the edge. But in terms of back to the basket, Ewing was better. Back to basket relies on more skill, while face up relies on more athleticism. Ewing was more of a face up player, so I do see your point.
Ewing was better back to basket. But, Robinson's face up game was better than Ewing's back to basket. But, for the team. I feel that Ewing's was better since a back to basket game is better for creating for others. Robinson's game helped him a lot more individually speaking. Ewing didn't have a skilled back to basket game. He had an effective one. A skilled back to basket game is like Hakeem's or McHale's. They had plenty of moves, countermoves, up and unders, dropsteps, head fakes etc. Ewing was more of a turnaround, fadeaway jumpshooter and had a running hook shot.

AirJordan23
07-27-2009, 07:04 PM
+1

I recall that moment clearly. Avery had the team around him and he just came right out and said, "we can't count on David." To make it worse, DRob was sitting right there on the scorer's table and didn't say a word. Unbelievable moment -- it showed that a journeyman point guard was more respected on the team than its best player; a HOF-caliber talent.

DRob, with all of his skills, was soft. No way around it. I'll take Ewing every time, but especially in a must-win situation.

Yup. That moment says a lot about Robinson's career, IMO. I still feel that Robinson had the mentality of the second fiddle, somewhat like KG.

ThatBigBlackGuy
08-25-2009, 02:30 AM
The Admiral.

bdreason
08-25-2009, 02:36 AM
It's a close comparison.

I think a prime Ewing was a superior all-around player.

However, Robinson was more consistant and had a better overall career.

if I had to pick one of them for ONE game, it would be Ewing.

If I had to pick one of them for a career, I'de take Robinson.

Wuxia
08-25-2009, 03:42 AM
Haha, give me Drob...

sirkeelma
08-25-2009, 03:45 AM

It's not underrating Ewing.. If you look at all angle and aspect it's The Admiral who is better.

purple32gold
08-25-2009, 03:47 AM
Yup. That moment says a lot about Robinson's career, IMO. I still feel that Robinson had the mentality of the second fiddle, somewhat like KG.
dunno about calling him outright SOFT. he was a center that preferred shooting facing the basket rather than down in the post. if that makes you soft that sorta sucks. guy was a friggin naval officer for christ's sake how can you say he was soft. i wanna find out how he did on his skills test when he first got in the navy probably off the charts. such an athletic guy. always remembered for the quad-double

admiral>pat
as great as pat was from college all the way to the pros he never achieved the ultimate goal. the same can be said about david though until timmy came around i guess....damn i just made myself rethink my own opinion LOL

ronnymac
08-25-2009, 06:31 AM
You do know clutchcity95 is rocketsgreatness, redziggyza, clutchcity owns, ilovenba, itruwarrior, laker fan yao and rox fo sho.

AirJordan23
08-25-2009, 06:59 AM
dunno about calling him outright SOFT. he was a center that preferred shooting facing the basket rather than down in the post. if that makes you soft that sorta sucks. guy was a friggin naval officer for christ's sake how can you say he was soft. i wanna find out how he did on his skills test when he first got in the navy probably off the charts. such an athletic guy. always remembered for the quad-double

admiral>pat
as great as pat was from college all the way to the pros he never achieved the ultimate goal. the same can be said about david though until timmy came around i guess....damn i just made myself rethink my own opinion LOL

I always thought Robinson was soft. He settled for elbow jumpshots, didn't have a killer mentality and folded under pressure. He didn't want to bang down low or have the WANT to go at the rim. He himself mentioned that basketball wasn't his first priority in life. He didn't want to create contact and he was never an intimidating presence in the paint like Pat was despite Robinson getting more blocks. There's a game where Robinson gets 8 blocks against the Bulls in either '91 or '92 (On Da_Realist's channel). But, despite all that, teams would fear the Ewing led Knicks more than the Robinson led Spurs. Ewing was the type of guy who brought the best out of his team with his emotions and mental toughness. He'd inspire them to play hard and will his team. Look at his performance in game 6 of the '92 ECSF against the Bulls. iirc, Knicks had the lead till Ewing went down with a sprained ankle in the third quarter but the Bulls came back to tie it and Ewing decided to come back despite the injury. And he played like never before taking the game over. Marv Albert called it a Willis Reed type of performance. I would've loved to seen the ovation Pat would've got had the game been at MSG.

Also, Robinson being a naval officer has nothing to do with him being soft. That is totally one of the "off court" situations. Robinson was a leader off court but on court, I can't say that. He had a second fiddle's mentality. Stats don't show that.

veilside23
08-25-2009, 08:51 AM
barkley B!tch slap both of these guys... id have to go to ewing....

ronnymac
08-25-2009, 12:23 PM
David Robinson....

Ewing's intangibles and leadership is being incredibly overrated in this thread. If I recall correctly those 90s Knicks most of the time were out of control so I don't know who got the idea that Ewing was some type of Martin Luther King Jr. Leader. Now, Obviously he was a better leader than Robinson. However, Robinson's talent was just pretty much head and shoulders above Ewing's. Pretty much, If I recall correctly Robinson literally did everything better than Ewing, Ewing was a better team defender and had the more intangibles of course, but I don't it's by that much compared to how many things Robinson has over Ewing. Not to mention, the elite centers most of the time usually played a lot better against Ewing than Robinson and Ewing always tended to play sub-par against the elite centers in the league.

When you think of David Robinson...you think Soft...When you think of Patrick Ewing you think of is that missed finger roll in Game 7 against the Pacers that would have forced OT.....

Honestly, I'd take Ewing in the playoffs just out of preference due to the fact that he won't back down as easily as Robinson does, but on a talent standpoint it's Admiral by a very good margin.
Thats 3 different ids now u posted in this thread with. CLUTCHCITY95,ROCKETSGREATNESS AND NOW REDZIGGYZAG. JUST WHEN ONE THINKS YOU CANT GET ANY WORSE.:roll: :roll: :roll:

RedZiggyZag
08-25-2009, 09:39 PM
David Robinson....

Ewing's intangibles and leadership is being incredibly overrated in this thread. If I recall correctly those 90s Knicks most of the time were out of control so I don't know who got the idea that Ewing was some type of Martin Luther King Jr. Leader. Now, Obviously he was a better leader than Robinson. However, Robinson's talent was just pretty much head and shoulders above Ewing's. Pretty much, If I recall correctly Robinson literally did everything better than Ewing, Ewing was a better team defender and had the more intangibles of course, but I don't it's by that much compared to how many things Robinson has over Ewing. Not to mention, the elite centers most of the time usually played a lot better against Ewing than Robinson and Ewing always tended to play sub-par against the elite centers in the league, see him in the head to head matchups vs guys like Robinson, Hakeem, Shaq, etc..... It wasn't so nice.....

When you think of David Robinson...you think Soft...When you think of Patrick Ewing you think of is that missed finger roll in Game 7 against the Pacers that would have forced OT.....

Honestly, I'd take Ewing in the playoffs just out of preference due to the fact that he won't back down as easily as Robinson does, but on a talent standpoint it's Admiral by a very good margin.

I'd also like to add, if Patrick Ewing was such a dominant and great player he would have soul crushed the Bulls front court, but he didn't did they? He usually got eliminated by the Bulls, and he always did when Michael Jordan was playing/active.

redhonda76
08-25-2009, 10:33 PM
I'd also like to add, if Patrick Ewing was such a dominant and great player he would have soul crushed the Bulls front court, but he didn't did they? He usually got eliminated by the Bulls, and he always did when Michael Jordan was playing/active.

The Bulls loaded themselves with with at least 4 big men to combat against Ewing. These guys are bangers and are not soft at all. That's at least 24 fouls to give on Ewing to wear him out, not to mention constant double team and help defense from Pippen, Grant and Jordan.

91- Cartwright, Stacey King, Will Perdue, Scott Williams
92- Cartwright, Stacey King, Will Perdue, Scott Williams
93- Cartwright, Stacey King, Will Perdue, Scott Williams
94- Cartwright, Stacey King, Will Perdue, Scott Williams, Bill Wennington, Luc Longley
95- Luc Longley, Will Perdue, Bill Wennington, Greg Foster
96- Luc Longley, Bill Wennington, James Edwards, John Salley
97- Luc Longley, Bison Dele, Parish, Bill Wennington

Now, name me a team willing to go this length to load themselves with this type of roster

beau_boy04
08-25-2009, 11:38 PM
David Robinson a 100 out of 100 times

TheAnchorman
08-25-2009, 11:58 PM
The Bulls loaded themselves with with at least 4 big men to combat against Ewing. These guys are bangers and are not soft at all. That's at least 24 fouls to give on Ewing to wear him out, not to mention constant double team and help defense from Pippen, Grant and Jordan.

91- Cartwright, Stacey King, Will Perdue, Scott Williams
92- Cartwright, Stacey King, Will Perdue, Scott Williams
93- Cartwright, Stacey King, Will Perdue, Scott Williams
94- Cartwright, Stacey King, Will Perdue, Scott Williams, Bill Wennington, Luc Longley
95- Luc Longley, Will Perdue, Bill Wennington, Greg Foster
96- Luc Longley, Bill Wennington, James Edwards, John Salley
97- Luc Longley, Bison Dele, Parish, Bill Wennington

Now, name me a team willing to go this length to load themselves with this type of roster
Cartwright with his flailing elbows and veteran experience was the only guy capable of fully matching up against Ewing. Scott Williams and Wennington to a small extent but his inexperience against Ewing isn't something to bank on. Stacey King was an overweight lazybum who wasn't a "banger" like you said, but soft, a bad scorer and an even more terrible rebounder. I've only seen him make one good play in his entire career that everyone overlooks. I have a higher vertical than Will Perdue, among other things. Parish was 43 yrs old. John Salley probably got less playing time than Sonny Weems did on the Nuggets (which is saying a LOT). Luc Longley is known for his passing, not defense.

And you are acting as if Ewing is playing the full 48 minutes of every game. The Knicks have backup centers too, you know. That's like telling me that Jordan was in for a long night against the Jazz because *gasp* Jamie Watson was going to guard him.

dyna
08-26-2009, 12:03 AM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0819/pg2_g_ewing_400.jpg

Sonics!!

Scoooter
08-26-2009, 12:59 AM
Look at his face. He's dead inside.

jailer
08-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Im very surprised that anyone is picking. Ewing over Robinson. Ewing was a great a player dont get me wrong. But the admiral was a better all around player.

Scoooter
08-26-2009, 01:11 AM
I'm surprised anyone can definitively pick one over the other. They were both great players. Maybe that's why it's a decent thread; it's so close.

G.O.A.T
08-26-2009, 02:04 AM
I do think the majority will go Robinson, certainly the numbers point that way, but it is a preference thing. Ewing was a great player who would have been an ideal #2 or perhaps better put 1B to another stars 1A. Imagine Ewing and Nique or Drexler. What if Bernard King stays healthy. Those are teams that could have rivaled the young Bulls for NBA supremecy.

AznBBoyX
08-26-2009, 02:23 AM
All I can say is, imagine a lefty Dwight Howard with a far more polished offensive game and even better defense. That's David Robinson. And just because he didn't act thuggish and yell out expletives every second doesn't mean he's soft.

HylianNightmare
08-26-2009, 08:47 AM
David “The Admiral” Robinson, San Antonio Spurs

RedZiggyZag
08-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Cartwright with his flailing elbows and veteran experience was the only guy capable of fully matching up against Ewing. Scott Williams and Wennington to a small extent but his inexperience against Ewing isn't something to bank on. Stacey King was an overweight lazybum who wasn't a "banger" like you said, but soft, a bad scorer and an even more terrible rebounder. I've only seen him make one good play in his entire career that everyone overlooks. I have a higher vertical than Will Perdue, among other things. Parish was 43 yrs old. John Salley probably got less playing time than Sonny Weems did on the Nuggets (which is saying a LOT). Luc Longley is known for his passing, not defense.

And you are acting as if Ewing is playing the full 48 minutes of every game. The Knicks have backup centers too, you know. That's like telling me that Jordan was in for a long night against the Jazz because *gasp* Jamie Watson was going to guard him.
:applause: I really don't think highly of either Ewing or Robinson, but as far as individual talents go and as far as accomplishments and greatness goes it's Robinson.....All in all, Some of you guys are being incredibly harsh to Robinson and too nice to Ewing. You guys act like Robinson was some type of Karl Malone choker, is that true? A bit, Sure, but you guys also act that Patrick Ewing was some type of Bill Russell playoff performer? Is that true? Not a freakin' chance. Ewing was just as good of a playoff performer than Robinson, a bit better but not to a point where you would take him over Robinson. Ewing is getting too much love in this thread, while as Robinson is getting way too much hate in this thread.

Also......., if you guys are so in love with intangibles, then you mind as well take Vernon Maxwell over Tracy McGrady, I would.....but I know who's the better player here, picking who you want on your team is a choice of preference, deciding who's better, involves using logic and facts.

hotsizzle
08-26-2009, 10:32 PM
It's D-Rob and its not really that close

Lebron23
08-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Kobe Bryant

Round Mound
04-11-2012, 02:32 AM
Robinson

Go Getter
04-11-2012, 02:41 AM
I'm going to respond more fully tomorrow, but for now:

Ewing relied on that jumper heavily and came up short so much with his sweaty self:lol

blacknapalm
04-11-2012, 03:20 AM

Ewing relied on that jumper heavily and came up short so much with his sweaty self:lol

on point but d-rob didn't have much of a post-game to speak of either. he was able to get away with it though because he was such a freak athlete that could find his way to the rim. his jumper was shaky as well. from that 10-12 foot zone, he was mostly money

despite those weaknesses, i give the edge to robinson by a decent margin. they were comparable scorers (i'd def argue robinson was more efficient) but robinson was the better passer and defender. robinson made first team all nba six times to ewing's one. he was also consistently ranked higher in MVP voting.

as an aside, we should note that ewing's knee injuries really took quite a bit out of him...

while robinson was lambasted for the '95 WCF vs. hakeem in which he did play bad, it wasn't nearly as awful as people make it out to be. plus, it was hakeem. during his four year peak, hakeem was outclassing every other center - no real shame in that. ewing also struggled vs. hakeem in the 94 finals. in the deciding game 7 where starks infamously shot 2-18, ewing shot less than 40% in his own right. tbh, i always felt NY choked that game away more than houston snatching the championship. they had their opportunities. but hey, that's what separates the champs from everyone else

Floppy
04-11-2012, 10:41 AM
as an aside, we should note that ewing's knee injuries really took quite a bit out of him...
The guy made some of the most jaw dropping goal tendings before his injuries. :D