07-24-2009, 02:57 PM
According to NBA.com

rosonviyavong
07-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Dammnnit

Posterize246
07-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Bout time.

Is it a sign and trade for Steve Blake? Oh please oh please oh please...

Mr_Basketball#1
07-24-2009, 02:59 PM
I think the Blazers just felt like they had to make some kind of money but I don't think this makes them much better. I wish they could have some how got Hinrich. He fits in perfect. Blake gives you alot of what Miller will provide and for cheap. I think they need to trade either Bayless or Blake now.

Myth
07-24-2009, 03:02 PM
1 year deal it sounds like: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Miller_finalizing_deal_with_Portland.html

Much better than getting stuck with an aging player for 4+ years. 2 would have been nice, but I'll take it.

Posterize246
07-24-2009, 03:04 PM
1 year deal it sounds like: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Miller_finalizing_deal_with_Portland.html

Much better than getting stuck with an aging player for 4+ years. 2 would have been nice, but I'll take it.
Hows it sound like a 1 year deal? That just says its an improvement over the 1 year/6 mil the Sixers were offering. Unless they just upped it a mil or something.

BlazersDozen
07-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Oh God...

Well Bayless is gone.

Miller/Blake
Roy/Fernandez
Webster/Batum
Aldridge/Outlaw
Przybilla/Oden

I don't think this makes them any better than the 4 seed.

iDunk
Damnit.

OhNoTimNoSho
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

who will be the sixers pg now?

Posterize246
07-24-2009, 03:07 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

who will be the sixers pg now?
you're a little late to the party, Lou Williams has been announced as our starting PG for about a month now

beasted86
07-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Oh God...

Well Bayless is gone.

Miller/Blake
Roy/Fernandez
Webster/Batum
Aldridge/Outlaw
Przybilla/Oden

I don't think this makes them any better than the 4 seed.
:oldlol: You people really crack me up.

You have the same team as last year a 3rd seed roster... you now get Miller... and now you drop to a 4th seed?

I guess Andre Miller is the newest ISH proclaimed "cancer"

News flash buddy Miller >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rodriguez or Blake

ClutchCity95
07-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Not a very good fit for the Blazers, Whoever the article writer said that Kevin Pritchard is crazy and desperate is correct.

Andre Miller needs the ball to be effective and so does Brandon Roy. Along with that, Brandon Roy likes to play a slow it down, half-court, grind it out offense. While Andre Miller likes to play in an up-tempo, run and gun offense. Bad fit, bad move. Blazers could have and should have done a trade for a small forward or a Point guard that can shoot. But It's only 1 year, so not that bad of a deal.

Edit: Nvm It's not a 1 yr deal.

GOBB
07-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Its 3yr deal, team option for the 3rd which could end up being a 2yr deal.

3yrs $21mil, $14mil guranteed.

BlazersDozen
07-24-2009, 03:13 PM

You have the same team as last year a 3rd seed roster... you now get Miller... and now you drop to a 4th seed?

Blazers were the 4th seed last year.

He doesn't fit the offense for this team at all.

Luigi
07-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Portland is going to be very happy with their new point guard.
He distributes, he runs an offense, and he is not selfish.

Yeah, he's getting old, but his setups and control are going to improve the team. This is bad news for my Jazz.

Posterize246
07-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Means no sign and trade, damnit. Oh well. Good for Andre getting that 2 year (possibly 3 year) deal. :applause:

Luigi
07-24-2009, 03:16 PM

Really? You know more about Portland's offense than I do. Explain.

Myth
07-24-2009, 03:20 PM

Ooh, thats nice.

GOBB
07-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Blazers make 3-year offer to Miller

By Chad Ford
ESPN.com

The Portland Trail Blazers have offered point guard Andre Miller a three-year contract, a source close to the process said Friday.

The contract would be worth $21 million, with $14 million guaranteed and
$7 million included as a third-year team option, the source said.

Miller, an unrestricted free agent, had been balking at signing a one-year offer from the Philadelphia 76ers, and the Blazers were one of only two teams with the money to give him more than the mid-level exception.

The Blazers have been looking for a veteran point guard for the past couple of seasons and have flirted with everyone from Jason Kidd to Kirk Hinrich.

With Miller the Blazers would get a savvy veteran who excels as a physical, post-up guard.

Chad Ford is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

article on espn now

bagelred
07-24-2009, 03:23 PM
David Lee is running out of options, baby!!!!!! :D

beasted86
07-24-2009, 03:24 PM

And what exactly is your offense?

I notice in the 4th quarter everyone likes to stand around and watch Roy because nobody else can create their own shot (well Outlaw can... but do you really want him? :oldlol:) or setup teammates.

Miller does both of those things well. I don't see how this doesn't make the team alot better. Assuming Oden becomes healthy & effective, along with Webster coming back, and team as a whole growing with experience... they have a really strong chance at a 3rd seed. Only teams that are clearly better (if healthy) are the Spurs & Lakers. Nuggets, Mavs, Jazz, etc.. are all within reach.

Perezident
07-24-2009, 03:26 PM
And it looks like Carlos Arroyo will be coming in as well....

francesco totti
07-24-2009, 03:32 PM
I think this makes portland best team in northwest IMO.

I am looking forward at how the spurs, blazers will be next year with this new aquisitions.

BlazersDozen
07-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Really? You know more about Portland's offense than I do. Explain.

The Blazers play a half court slow tempoed game and also an inside-out game which means their wings and and point needs to be able to shoot the ball. Andre Miller didnt even shoot 30% from deep last season.

Secondly, Brandon Roy is much like Joe Johnson where he is a superstar when he has the ball in his hands but an average player without it. B-Roy lacks off the ball movement skills and adding Andre Miller takes the ball out of Roy's hands and forces Roy to probably get less shots and he will be less effective.

JohnnySic
07-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Good addition. Now, if only Oden can stay healthy...

BlazersDozen
07-24-2009, 03:41 PM
And what exactly is your offense?

I notice in the 4th quarter everyone likes to stand around and watch Roy because nobody else can create their own shot (well Outlaw can... but do you really want him? :oldlol:) or setup teammates.

Miller does both of those things well. I don't see how this doesn't make the team alot better. Assuming Oden becomes healthy & effective, along with Webster coming back, and team as a whole growing with experience... they have a really strong chance at a 3rd seed. Only teams that are clearly better (if healthy) are the Spurs & Lakers. Nuggets, Mavs, Jazz, etc.. are all within reach.

Travis Outlaw doesn't create his own shot LoL, he tries but thats about it.

Don't tell a person who watched over 60 Blazer games last season how their offense works when your perspective is probably based on the playoffs, a horrible opening game against the Lakers and random televised games.

Darius
07-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Don't understand this move for the Blazers.

B-Roy functions as their playmaker - they need a PG that can play off-ball.

Andre Miller can't play off-ball whatosever.

They needed a Kirk Hinrich type.

hawkfan
07-24-2009, 03:44 PM

Really a two year deal, since the team will more than likely either release Miller or trade him out (and then he would get released).

Not bad for 2 years. I guess the Blazers will then look to move one of their other point guards somewhere.

BlazersDozen
07-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Don't understand this move for the Blazers.

B-Roy functions as their playmaker - they need a PG that can play off-ball.

Andre Miller can't play off-ball whatosever.

They needed a Kirk Hinrich type.

Exactly.

And don't be surprised to see Jerryd Bayless and Travis Outlaw still packaged for a trade for a true back up power forward.

Bayless rumors are coming up hard and quick before this signing...I think they'll get even stronger now.

Bayless & Outlaw to NY for Lee?

Just for bagelred LoL

GOBB
07-24-2009, 03:46 PM
I am stating the obvious GOBB.

:applause:

Luigi
07-24-2009, 03:48 PM
The Blazers play a half court slow tempoed game and also an inside-out game which means their wings and and point needs to be able to shoot the ball. Andre Miller didnt even shoot 30% from deep last season.

Secondly, Brandon Roy is much like Joe Johnson where he is a superstar when he has the ball in his hands but an average player without it. B-Roy lacks off the ball movement skills and adding Andre Miller takes the ball out of Roy's hands and forces Roy to probably get less shots and he will be less effective.

OK. That's basically what I thought was coming. What are the chances you start running more? Portland is a young team that could really enjoy the break when it is a good decision, and now you have that decision maker without giving up much in the half court.

Roy will still get his play calls, right? When his number gets called, he's going to have the ball in his hands. The new roster might help reduce turnovers/ Roy might be slightly less effective just from the volume of ball owning time, but the rest of the team is really going to benefit from Andre's set-ups. You could really use a spot up, weak side shooter though.

BlazersDozen
07-24-2009, 03:51 PM
OK. That's basically what I thought was coming. What are the chances you start running more? Portland is a young team that could really enjoy the break when it is a good decision, and now you have that decision maker without giving up much in the half court.

Roy will still get his play calls, right? When his number gets called, he's going to have the ball in his hands. The new roster might help reduce turnovers/ Roy might be slightly less effective just from the volume of ball owning time, but the rest of the team is really going to benefit from Andre's set-ups. You could really use a spot up, weak side shooter though.

The bench is more fitted for a running style than the starters. Aldridge and Miller can get up the floor but Webster is a spot up shooter, Roy is more effective in the half court and Przybilla gets gassed quick.

Maybe Blake will start and Miller will work with the second unit?

Myth
07-24-2009, 03:51 PM
How good is Miller at pick and rolls? I want to see Aldridge and Oden work with a PG that can do them well. Blake made some nice pick and rolls with Oden, and I certainly don't consider Blake all too great at it.

The_Yearning
07-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Portland should of got Amare when they had the chance lol Blazers f'd up now they'll be out of the second next year.

wang4three
07-24-2009, 04:22 PM
If the Blazers get Lee, they wouldn't have learned from their talent stockpiling ways of the past.

LA_Showtime
07-24-2009, 04:24 PM
The Lakers, Spurs, and possibly Nuggets are still better than the Blazers. In the long run, that's all that matters.

If Portland manages to turn Outlaw + Rudy + Bayless into a top tier SF then watch out.

BlazersDozen
07-24-2009, 04:26 PM
The Lakers, Spurs, and possibly Nuggets are still better than the Blazers. In the long run, that's all that matters.

If Portland manages to turn Outlaw + Rudy + Bayless into a top tier SF then watch out.

Rudy isn't going anywhere other than possibly the Blazers starting line up.

LA_Showtime
07-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Rudy isn't going anywhere other than possibly the Blazers starting line up.

You think he's gonna be a star then?

OneMoreSucka
07-24-2009, 04:32 PM
As a nuggets fan, I shrug my shoulders at this.

LA_Showtime
07-24-2009, 04:34 PM

As a Laker fan, I shrug my shoulders too.

flipogb
07-24-2009, 04:36 PM
yeah wuts up with your team, they haven't made any big moves at all

BlazersDozen
07-24-2009, 04:36 PM
You think he's gonna be a star then?

I never said he was going to be a star.

I said starter.

LA_Showtime
07-24-2009, 04:37 PM
I never said he was going to be a star.

I said starter.

Okay

OneMoreSucka
07-24-2009, 04:42 PM
yeah wuts up with your team, they haven't made any big moves at all
They're very content with the team currently so the great chemistry remains intact. Also, melo, jr, and nene will only get better. Remember though, every big asset that Denver has acquired has come in November/December, so they're in no rush.

BlazersDozen
07-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Billups>Miller (Only because Billups scoring)
Smith<Roy
Anthony>Webster
Martin<Aldridge
Nene=Przybilla

But the Portland bench is better, but I'm looking forward to the Nuggets and Blazers games next season.

OneMoreSucka
07-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Agree to disagree.

boozehound
07-24-2009, 04:55 PM
They're very content with the team currently so the great chemistry remains intact. Also, melo, jr, and nene will only get better. Remember though, every big asset that Denver has acquired has come in November/December, so they're in no rush.
nene is not getting any better. hes where hes at. Other than bigman depth, this nuggets team is solid. should be a very good year in the NW (well, at least watching the nuggs, jazz, blazers duke it out).

Bigsmoke
07-24-2009, 04:57 PM
i think Miller will do well with the Blazers.

OneMoreSucka
07-24-2009, 04:58 PM
nene is not getting any better. hes where hes at. Other than bigman depth, this nuggets team is solid. should be a very good year in the NW (well, at least watching the nuggs, jazz, blazers duke it out).
No idea what you're talking about, nene took large steps forward last year and stil has plenty room for improvement. It's not like he's 30+ years old.

Interminator
07-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Miller's a good fit, maybe just maybe it will allow Roy not to have to focus so much on running the offense and instead score.

BlazersDozen
07-24-2009, 05:01 PM
No idea what you're talking about, nene took large steps forward last year and stil has plenty room for improvement. It's not like he's 30+ years old.

But he has been in the league for seven years.

It's rare that guys keep getting leaps better after being in the league that long.

1~Gibson~1

Other teams have gotten better also

BlazersDozen
Miller's a good fit, maybe just maybe it will allow Roy not to have to focus so much on running the offense and instead score.

Because Roy scores on offball movement all the time right?

Ruslan`
07-24-2009, 05:03 PM
you're a little late to the party, Lou Williams has been announced as our starting PG for about a month now

lou williams shouldn't be our starting PG thou...he's a combo guard and i dont think he'll be a good starting PG...i'd rather start Jrue Holiday right away :confusedshrug:

1~Gibson~1
07-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Because Roy scores on offball movement all the time right?
Intermidumb

Meticode
07-24-2009, 05:06 PM

It's the fact Blazer fans don't feel Miller fits their system. They play an inside-out system. Miller is a point guard who doesn't have very much range. Personally I don't feel this makes them better, I think they'll end up where they ended up last year and possibly maybe a second seed if Denver drops or whatever reason. It could work out though, but to me I think it takes the ball out of Roy's hands a little more when he's playing PG or at least controlling the ball and Miller can't shoot as well as Blake.

LJJ
07-24-2009, 05:07 PM
As a two year deal it's just solid.

No idea how it will pan out. Chances are that Roy is so used to running things (and doing a great job), the J-less Miller will be useless next to Roy and be relegated to leading the second unit quickly.

But if it doesn't work they can get rid of that quickly, and imo they dodged a bullet by not signing Lee to a 50 million deal.

1~Gibson~1
07-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Good! Now i can double Aldridge down low on 2k without worrying about Miller

:hammertime:

boozehound
Sure, since it was his first whole season in something like 4 years. Hes not gonna improve significantly on that performance last year. which is fine. hes a very solid big.

1~Gibson~1
So what do you guys think the 2nd signing is going to be?

OneMoreSucka
07-24-2009, 05:12 PM
But he has been in the league for seven years.

It's rare that guys keep getting leaps better after being in the league that long.
The guy beat cancer and is as healthy as he's ever been in those previous 7 years. At least give him a chance

Lebron23
07-24-2009, 05:15 PM
I am not surprise if the Blazers advance in the Western Conference Finals. Miller is a great PG, and last season he averaged 16.3 ppg, and almost 7 apg.

Miller and Roy = Top 8 Backcourt in the NBA.

OneMoreSucka
07-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Miller and Roy = Top 8 Backcourt in the NBA.
On paper, anyway

BlazersDozen
07-24-2009, 05:22 PM
The guy beat cancer and is as healthy as he's ever been in those previous 7 years. At least give him a chance

Just because he had cancer doesn't make his game and potential any different from the thousands of guys who played in the league for the past 50+ years.

Kumo
07-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Happy about this. I really wanted a PG instead of another big. Welcome to Rip City, Miller!

Mr_Basketball#1
07-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Could you Blazer fans tell me about Webster? I forgot he was even with the Blazers? What's his game like?

Clifton
07-24-2009, 05:43 PM
I wouldn't even characterize Roy as a scorer, much less an offball scorer. You take the offense away from Roy, you make the Blazers worse. You take the offense away from Miller, and he's an utter waste of money and space.

I don't think this is a good signing. I think the Blazers should have worked out a trade with Chicago that got them Kirk Hinrich. I'm sure Chicago has a contract they want to dump.

Andre Miller is a good player and when on he's one of my favorite players to watch. But you don't do things like this. You don't have two guys on the same team who have to take away from each other in order to be effective.

Another bad consequence of this trade: Jarryd Bayless is almost assuredly gone. And I can all but guarantee he'll turn out to be at the very least an excellent third guard.

OneMoreSucka
07-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Just because he had cancer doesn't make his game and potential any different from the thousands of guys who played in the league for the past 50+ years.
You still fail to realize that is' impossible to improve your game if you're always hurt, and he's not hurt.

And just for futher disgust and bitterness on my part, this will be lebron's 7th season coming up, are you saying he won't improve?

Kumo
07-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Could you Blazer fans tell me about Webster? I forgot he was even with the Blazers? What's his game like?

He's very athletic, comes into training camp more conditioned than anyone else. He was supposed to have made leaps and bounds in his game. He should have been our pure shooter... we didn't really have one last season. A talented young man, with a great attitude...

R.I.P.
07-24-2009, 06:23 PM
If they trade Aldridge for Amare right now they are a championship contender, but they won

NugzFan
07-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Billups>Miller (Only because Billups scoring)
Smith<Roy
Anthony>Webster
Martin<Aldridge
Nene=Przybilla

But the Portland bench is better, but I'm looking forward to the Nuggets and Blazers games next season.

disagree on that one.

however, doesn't matter because comparing teams by doing position by position breakdowns doesnt work at all. means nothing.

#1SportsFan86
07-24-2009, 07:48 PM
let's all crown the Blazers as champs now............:applause:

AznTacoLover
07-24-2009, 07:54 PM
let's all crown the Blazers as champs now............:applause:

I don't really see any improvement from the blazers adding andre miller. maybe 3-4th seed. :lol
but I think they'll have a deeper run into the playoffs.

Human Error
07-24-2009, 08:03 PM
This is a huge upgrade from Steve Blake, congratulations to the Blazers fans, I don't care if Miller is a step slower or whether Miller isn't a great 3 point shooter, he's still the guy who can get the job done.

Jasper
07-24-2009, 08:05 PM
I looked at Miller as above average PG , that has improved his defensive foot work , heady passer , and knows if he has the open shot is there to stroke it. When he first came into the league his jumper was not what it is today .

You need some professionalism as well as veteran knowledge to guide a young team.
Blake isn't the answer

Yung D-Will
07-24-2009, 08:16 PM
I have to agree with Lebron23 on this one

On Paper Andre Miller+ Brandon Roy
looks like one of the most dominant backcourts in the Nba.

D.Z.W.
07-24-2009, 08:26 PM
As a big time Blazers fan, I wasn't exactly "thrilled" with this acquisition, like many others, I preferred Hinrich because he just seems to be a better fit for the Blazers offense.

However, that said, I still think Andre Miller will make us a better team - and its not just because of veteran leadership and experience. His value seems sort of underrated here on ISH. Its true neither of our guards is good off the ball, but at the same time, having 1 more player that can make plays in half court during critical situations cannot hurt imo. Andre can't really shoot past 18~20 foot (he is very high percentage shooter when within range though), but he forces mismatches when he's posting up, doesn't take bad shots and is of course, a terrific passer.

Lets face it, as skilled as Roy is, (despite his increasing games played) Blazer fans should know he isn't exactly iron man, he has a lot of nagging injuries and is quite banged up at certain points of the season. Having Roy to log heavy minutes in every close game and needing him to make plays every single possession during crunch time is not exactly the best for his longevity. Having Miller should be able to ease his burden when the Blazers need somebody else to create an opportunity for the team to score.

Not to mention the contract is formed quite nicely, I was worried about a long term deal with him because he is getting up there in age (33); but with a team option on the last year, Blazers can let him walk in just two years time if he starts to get 'washed up.'

sirkeelma
07-24-2009, 08:42 PM
I have to agree with Lebron23 on this one

On Paper Andre Miller+ Brandon Roy
looks like one of the most dominant backcourts in the Nba.

:no: definitely NO

juju151111
07-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Why is everyone complsining. He is a better defender then Blake and can run the offense. The coaches need to work him in the system.

knickscity
07-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Andre Miller needs the ball to be effective and so does Brandon Roy.
Explain this please.

Isn't the ball normally in the backcourts hands most of the time?

flipogb
07-24-2009, 09:11 PM
well those guys are good, but if I were you id be pissed at how Martin is still the starting PF, other than that I think the team is solid, oh and kind of overpaid birdman

RoseCity07
07-24-2009, 09:34 PM
I don't really see any improvement from the blazers adding andre miller. maybe 3-4th seed. :lol
but I think they'll have a deeper run into the playoffs.

We get a competent second unit. How many times did the fans get nervous when Blake and Roy went out and Sergio came in? Even with Bayless in the game it felt like it could make a turn for the worse. We can actually win games with our bench with Miller, now all we need is a good back up power forward.

Our second unit could be:

Andre Miller
Rudy Fernandez
Travis Outlaw
David Lee
Pryzbilla

That's a good starting 5 any where else.

1~Gibson~1
07-24-2009, 09:36 PM
We get a competent second unit. How many times did the fans get nervous when Blake and Roy went out and Sergio came in? Even with Bayless in the game it felt like it could make a turn for the worse with them in. We can actually win games with our bench with Miller, now all we need is a good back up power forward.

Our second unit could be

Andre Miller
Rudy Fernandez
Travis Outlaw
David Lee
Pryzbilla

do you really think Blake will start over Miller? :confusedshrug:

and that you'd actually get Lee and Miller?

D-Rose
07-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Good, any chances of Odom to Portland are dead now :D

RoseCity07
07-24-2009, 09:55 PM
:no: definitely NO

If Brandon Roy is a top 3 shooting guard, which you might now agree with, than we have to look at Kobe and Wade's back court.

Wade has who? Chalmers. Definitely not better than Andre Miller at this point.

Kobe has Fisher. Fisher has good defense but he is just an okay passer. His offense is better so at least this one is close.

You can talk about Chris Paul or Billups, but their SG's are no where near the level that Roy, Kobe, and Wade are at.

lolwut
07-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Portland is going to be good next year.

ROFL @ people hating on this obvious upgrade at point.

home court advantage and a second round appearance would be a disappointment for that team.

RoseCity07
07-24-2009, 09:57 PM
do you really think Blake will start over Miller? :confusedshrug:

and that you'd actually get Lee and Miller?

No we probably won't get David Lee. Just saying if we got him some how.

Yeah I think Steve Blake will start over Miller. Steve Blake is easily the most underrated point guard in the league. He does play defense, just isn't quick enough to guard Chris Paul or Aaron Brooks for that matter. He can shoot the 3 ball at a high percentage, he makes his free throws, and is a pass first PG.

I watch tons of Blazers games from the away broadcasters feed. They love Steve Blake. He is a good point guard no one appreciates.

Spec5ial5k5
07-24-2009, 11:07 PM
he just wants the money he gave the sixers 10 million reason not to sign em hes not worth it

Chicago-Rose
07-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Good signing for the Blazers.

Human Error
07-25-2009, 08:31 AM
No we probably won't get David Lee. Just saying if we got him some how.

Yeah I think Steve Blake will start over Miller. Steve Blake is easily the most underrated point guard in the league. He does play defense, just isn't quick enough to guard Chris Paul or Aaron Brooks for that matter. He can shoot the 3 ball at a high percentage, he makes his free throws, and is a pass first PG.

I watch tons of Blazers games from the away broadcasters feed. They love Steve Blake. He is a good point guard no one appreciates.
Nate McMillan isn't dumb. That means, Andre Miller will start over Steve Blake who really shouldn't start for any NBA team.

RoTM
07-25-2009, 08:34 AM
If Brandon Roy is a top 3 shooting guard, which you might now agree with, than we have to look at Kobe and Wade's back court.

Wade has who? Chalmers. Definitely not better than Andre Miller at this point.

Kobe has Fisher. Fisher has good defense but he is just an okay passer. His offense is better so at least this one is close.

You can talk about Chris Paul or Billups, but their SG's are no where near the level that Roy, Kobe, and Wade are at.

Fisher isnt alot more then a warm body at this point. His offence isnt better then Miller, his spot shooting is which he is simply ok at. Fisher is the worst pg in the nba at attacking the basket. Miller is one of the best.

I think Millers defficientcy as a shooter isnt a huge deal. They had Roy paired with a catch and shoot pg in Blake already and that didnt cut it for the organization. Webster and Outlaw are jumpshooters, Aldridge is a good jump shooter. I think they have a situation like the cavs where having the ball in one guys hands the whole game can be a disadvantage in the playoffs. More so if that guy isnt the best player alive.

Clifton
07-25-2009, 10:21 AM
I think they have a situation like the cavs where having the ball in one guys hands the whole game can be a disadvantage in the playoffs.
Yeah so what did they do? They signed Larry Hughes: a guy who isn't that good, obviously doesn't mesh with what you have, can't shoot, and who needs the ball in his hands to be effective. They had this guy play point, and it was an utter disaster.

If the Lakers can win a title with Fisher at point, the Blazers can do so with Blake at point, provided they have a quality third guard, which they do, or will, in Bayless. They certainly could use an upgrade (Hinrich, who is essentially the Uber-Blake in almost every way) but an upgrade and a transplant are entirely different things. If someone has heart disease you don't take his heart out and replace it with a dog's heart. You put in a better human heart. And Steve Blake is far from a disease.

ukplayer4
07-25-2009, 12:05 PM
obviously its an upgrade but miller is not a great fit for portland, as someone suggested- hinrich would be much better.

John Smith
07-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Lou Williams...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aldridge Fan
07-25-2009, 02:14 PM
obviously its an upgrade but miller is not a great fit for portland, as someone suggested- hinrich would be much better.

When the trade negotiations were going on this summer, a lot of talk has been going on in local radio stations that Hinrich would be no better than Blake. So that given it's not an upgrade for me. I think Miller with his veteran experience can help shape some of these guys and I think he will meld just fine with the team.

Aldridge Fan
07-25-2009, 02:25 PM
As a big time Blazers fan, I wasn't exactly "thrilled" with this acquisition, like many others, I preferred Hinrich because he just seems to be a better fit for the Blazers offense.

However, that said, I still think Andre Miller will make us a better team - and its not just because of veteran leadership and experience. His value seems sort of underrated here on ISH. Its true neither of our guards is good off the ball, but at the same time, having 1 more player that can make plays in half court during critical situations cannot hurt imo. Andre can't really shoot past 18~20 foot (he is very high percentage shooter when within range though), but he forces mismatches when he's posting up, doesn't take bad shots and is of course, a terrific passer.

Lets face it, as skilled as Roy is, (despite his increasing games played) Blazer fans should know he isn't exactly iron man, he has a lot of nagging injuries and is quite banged up at certain points of the season. Having Roy to log heavy minutes in every close game and needing him to make plays every single possession during crunch time is not exactly the best for his longevity. Having Miller should be able to ease his burden when the Blazers need somebody else to create an opportunity for the team to score.

Not to mention the contract is formed quite nicely, I was worried about a long term deal with him because he is getting up there in age (33); but with a team option on the last year, Blazers can let him walk in just two years time if he starts to get 'washed up.'This is a good observation. This would be nice to take the burden off of Roy with Miller helping out in those critical moments. Liking this deal a lot better now.

NugzFan
07-25-2009, 03:34 PM
We get a competent second unit. How many times did the fans get nervous when Blake and Roy went out and Sergio came in? Even with Bayless in the game it felt like it could make a turn for the worse. We can actually win games with our bench with Miller, now all we need is a good back up power forward.

Andre Miller
Rudy Fernandez
Travis Outlaw
David Lee
Pryzbilla

a nice 12th seed out east perhaps.

Clifton
07-25-2009, 03:52 PM
a lot of talk has been going on in local radio stations that Hinrich would be no better than Blake. So that given it's not an upgrade for me.
Well, they were saying it on the radio, huh? That means it MUST be true. Let's take it as axiomatic and go from there.

http://dummidumbwit.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/rush-limbaugh1.jpg

Aldridge Fan
07-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Well, they were saying it on the radio, huh? That means it MUST be true. Let's take it as axiomatic and go from there.

http://dummidumbwit.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/rush-limbaugh1.jpgLot's of discussions and days of radio. Anyway, it's just a source I've been studying this summer and pointed it out. But yeah, I'm more of a believer like you until I've actually seen him play with the team. Pretty excited to see what Miller brings to the table. :cheers:

1~Gibson~1
07-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Miller didnt think Phili's offer was fair (http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20090725_Miller_blazes_trail_to_Portland.html)

Andre Miller weighed in on his decision to sign with the Trail Blazers in an interview with the Philadelphia Daily News.

Miller signed a two-year deal with Portland worth $14 million with a team option for a third season.

"I had to weigh my options," the point guard said of leaving the 76ers. "The offer they threw out there, I didn't feel was fair for me."

Philadelphia didn't have much interest in signing Miller for longer than a one-year deal at the mid-level exception of $5.8 million.

"It was a tough situation [with the Sixers] due to the market. Philadelphia had to make some decisions and they stuck with their decision ... I accomplished my goals while I was there, to help the team get better, get to the playoffs," Miller added.

LA_Showtime
07-25-2009, 04:52 PM

Andre Miller
Rudy Fernandez
Travis Outlaw
David Lee
Pryzbilla

How would you go about acquiring David Lee?

BlazersDozen
07-25-2009, 05:08 PM
I said trade Outlaw and Bayless...I don't know who RoseCity07 traded because NY won't take only Bayless for David Lee.

So it should look like this...

Steve Blake/Patrick Mills
Rudy Fernandez
Nicolas Batum/Dante Cunningham
David Lee/Jeff Pendergraph
Greg Oden

Luigi
07-25-2009, 06:20 PM
So is Batum a backup 3 or 4?

tedloc
07-25-2009, 06:20 PM
it's gonna be a pure lob fest in portland

miller to rudy
miller to roy
miller to oden

get ready it's gonna be fun to watch

John Smith
07-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Miller is alright but nothing that great. How soon everybody forgets about the rookie Derrick Rose breaking his ankles and then dominating him on a block during a fast break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEL3ZkXpl2E

Get over Andre Miller...he's old and not that good.

Mr_Basketball#1
07-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Miller is alright but nothing that great. How soon everybody forgets about the rookie Derrick Rose breaking his ankles and then dominating him on a block during a fast break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEL3ZkXpl2E

Get over Andre Miller...he's old and not that good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPcW77X0YVE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mENfc5fQll4
Is he still not one of the better players in the league even after being crossed and rejected?

theeLAKEshow
07-26-2009, 12:30 PM
blazers still aint gonna go anywheree. haha.

kumquat
07-26-2009, 03:05 PM
blazers still aint gonna go anywheree. haha.
lakers gonna get raped by the celtics :lol

O.J A 6'4Mamba
07-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Jerryd Bayless is in a room crying that he still won't get any playing time.

NuggetsFan
07-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Knew Portland was going to grab somebody ..just happy it wasn't Odom. Miller is a better player than Blake but from what I saw Blake looked like he fit in with Roy very well.

globarticles
07-26-2009, 06:36 PM
andre miller will get traded in a year or two. we goinna get a great young playa to play the point by then. wonder whos gonna be available.

AK 3K
08-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Solid vet..... I like Miller's game

Maga_1
09-21-2009, 07:30 PM
I like Sergio Rodriguez, but McMillan doesn't give him the play time he deserves so i saw the trade with good eyes for him.

Now with Miller, this team is gonna be more experient but not so spectacular lets see what happen.

What about Sessions in this team? It would be amazing :lol

Myth
09-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Sessions to me was a high risk, medium reward type guy IMO (considering the cost). I'm very happy with the rent of Miller at a reasonable price. If it doesn't work out, we can let him walk after 2 seasons.

Maga_1
09-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Sessions to me was a high risk, medium reward type guy IMO (considering the cost). I'm very happy with the rent of Miller at a reasonable price. If it doesn't work out, we can let him walk after 2 seasons.

For your view point you are correct, and last season the lack of experience make us lose in the play off.
Sorry for my mistakes, i'm not very good in english :ohwell:

Myth
09-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Sorry for my mistakes, i'm not very good in english :ohwell:

Its ok. We weren't all raised with the same language :cheers:

Maga_1
09-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Its ok. We weren't all raised with the same language :cheers:

Thanks a lot.
Just one thing, Victor Claver remains in Spain right?
And Patrick Mills? I know he is injured, but he's not in the Portland roster?