PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird 47 pts vs. Blazers (The left handed game)

Fatal9
07-26-2009, 12:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R76nMD8buR8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R76nMD8buR8&fmt=18)

So Celtics had won 14 of their last 15 games (most with McHale injured). Apparently Bird told his teammates he was getting bored so he decided to challenge himself by finishing EVERY shot with his left hand (ie. everything not a jumpshot). He did this till the last 6 minutes or so of the 4th period.

He ended up dropping 47/14/11 (had 35/15/11 just the night before), and 22 points came from his left hand, because he felt like doing it for whatever reason. If this isn't impressive enough, he forces overtime and then hits the game-winning shot with 3 seconds left in OT. There was a stretch in the 3rd-4th where he scored 12 straight points with his left, and at the end of regulation he had more points with his left than he did with his right.

For someone to be this good is just sick...

Showtime
07-26-2009, 12:25 PM
But he doesn't jump high...

Fatal9
07-26-2009, 12:29 PM
But he doesn't jump high...
He is doing this to Kersey and Drexler too. Would continue torching Portland from 1984 to his last game against them in 1992. Blazers were for Bird what Cleveland was for Jordan :oldlol:

ukplayer4
07-26-2009, 12:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R76nMD8buR8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R76nMD8buR8&fmt=18)

So Celtics had won 14 of their last 15 games (most with McHale injured). Apparently Bird told his teammates he was getting bored so he decided to challenge himself by finishing EVERY shot with his left hand (ie. everything not a jumpshot). He did this till the last 6 minutes or so of the 4th period.

He ended up dropping 47/14/11 (had 35/15/11 just the night before), and 22 points came from his left hand, because he felt like doing it for whatever reason. If this isn't impressive enough, he forces overtime and then hits the game-winning shot with 3 seconds left in OT. There was a stretch in the 3rd-4th where he scored 12 straight points with his left, and at the end of regulation he had more points with his left than he did with his right.

hmmm, this time your thread is confusing me.... this makes kobe look good and mj bad how exactly?

MaxFly
07-26-2009, 12:57 PM

Truly a sick game by Legend... He made it look so easy... so straightforward...

It's amazing how times have changed though (not in terms of the game, though it has, but really in how we react to the players). I can't imagine what would happen if Lebron did something like this.

KoolKat
07-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Larry fcking Legend, ripping guys in his prime and OUT his prime :bowdown:

DonDadda59
07-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Crazy.

Maybe the most skilled and smartest basketball player ever :applause:

brantonli
07-26-2009, 01:16 PM
I think that video underlined how important skill is, there were a few pretty moves there by Bird which I think would've worked in any era of the league. There was one play where Bird spins inside for a lefty layup, which at first I thought was an incredibly slow spin and shot, but then I realised it doesn't matter because you could still do it today (Yao ming does it and he's one of the slowest players in the league).

sixerfan82
07-26-2009, 02:05 PM
So he shot everything that wasn't a jumpshot with his left hand? that's pretty impressive.

I guess that includes hooks, layups, tip-ins, and runners? Very impressive outing

Harison
07-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Now THATS class. Reminds once again how amazingly good Bird was in the Golden age of the NBA. Damn I miss those times...

Kblaze8855
07-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Bill Walton talked about this in a long interview he gave when Bird turned 50. He said he did it a few times in 86. And hed always have a great game when he did.

Lakas Fan Yo
07-26-2009, 02:45 PM
It's like the defense of Kersey is not even there.

Butters
07-26-2009, 02:49 PM
:bowdown:

rosonviyavong
07-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Larry Legend for a reason I wish I could do that :lol ..yesterday during some pickup games I was posting up on some guy and decided to throw the ball backwards over my head and IT went in ALA Larry Bird style

Fatal9
07-26-2009, 09:04 PM
There was one play where Bird spins inside for a lefty layup, which at first I thought was an incredibly slow spin and shot
Kind of hard to get to the shot when the body of the player (who is pretty tall) is between it. I doubt that players were even expecting him to shoot with his left on some of these plays (left handed runners on a semi fast break? Is that really what you prepare yourself to stop in that scenario?).

Bill Walton talked about this in a long interview he gave when Bird turned 50. He said he did it a few times in 86. And hed always have a great game when he did.
Yea, he said there was a game where he had 28 points with his left hand or something vs. Portland...I'm assuming he was talking about this one though. Games between that roadtrip and the end of the season, he used his left hand more often than ever before (even in the playoffs vs. Bucks, he made 10-12 shots with his left hand against them in the first two games).

Was so comfortable with it that if he was asked to sign autographs and he was carrying something in his right hand, he wouldn't even bother to switch over, and would just sign/write left handed. I don't know if he was naturally ambidextrous or he worked on it but he's got the most impressive off hand ever.

OldSchoolBBall
07-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Unbelievable. Bird is probably the smartest player ever, and a top 2-3 most skilled player ever as well. To get to the level where you have to create challenges like that for yourself in the game at the NBA level is amazing, and to do it in big ways like a 47 point triple double is even more amazing (where are you getting this box score info from, though, unless this is post-'87).

CB4GOATPF
07-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Man what a player :bowdown: . Take a look at those shot fakes, foot moves, timed passes, timed spins etc...juste "Pure Skill and Wisdom". Check out the passing of the Celtics...man fundamentals have declined greatly...:cry:

Force
07-26-2009, 10:47 PM
take note of how far that 3 point line was

i always hated bird growing up since i was a showtime laker guy and a magic johnson fan, but he is a one of a kind player, his B ball IQ was ridiculously high and he had such good skills and played with the team in mind first...

thanks for posting this thread, this is vintage bird just clowning!

OldSchoolBBall
07-26-2009, 10:58 PM
take note of how far that 3 point line was

???

It was the same distance as it is today as far as I know.

DuMa
07-26-2009, 11:08 PM
incredible fundamentals. making players look like fools! no one like that in the nba today

fos
07-27-2009, 03:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rto2_oYVs0I

Amazing...