PDA

View Full Version : Raptors sign Rasho Nesterovic

insidehoops
07-30-2009, 01:12 PM
The Toronto Raptors announced Thursday they have signed free-agent centre Rasho Nesterovic (RAH-show Neh-STARE-oh-vitch). Per team policy, financial details were not disclosed.

"Rasho brings us back a great veteran presence who has a familiarity with our coaching staff and several players. His leadership and personality will be great assets for this team," said Bryan Colangelo, Raptors President and General Manager.

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=4647

RocketGreatness
07-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Good signing for the Raptors, they need a big man that can guard Centers and anchor a defense because Andrea Bargnani and Chris Bosh are both bigs that get pushed around in the post by many many players and they are incapable of anchoring anything defensively.

Not to mention, Rasho brings tons of playoff experience for the Raptors.

beasted86
07-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Good signing for the Raptors, they need a big man that can guard Centers and anchor a defense because Andrea Bargnani and Chris Bosh are both bigs that get pushed around in the post by many many players and they are incapable of anchoring anything defensively.

Not to mention, Rasho brings tons of playoff experience for the Raptors.
:roll:
Bosh > Guarding Centers than Rasho... and that's not saying alot. Rasho's forte was never defense.

R.H.C.P.
07-30-2009, 01:24 PM
My all time favourite Rasho moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kASqfmnXSJg

chains5000
07-30-2009, 01:33 PM
On April 2, 2008 at 7:34PM EST, Nesterović hit his first three point shot ever in the regular season, with a pump fake, for a buzzer beater against the Atlanta Hawks, in Atlanta. Watch this historical moment, its importance paralleled only to the moon landing, the fall of the Berlin Wall and Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech.
:bowdown:

brwnman
07-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Bosh > Guarding Centers than Rasho... and that's not saying alot. Rasho's forte was never defense.

Do you watch basketball? Do you know what defense is? That was one retarded statement by you. But I guess it's expected...

Qwyjibo
07-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Funny when defense is pretty much the only thing Rasho has been known for. It's not like he was a rebounding and offensive juggernaut.

gasolina
07-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Haven't seen Rasho play in a while. But he was pretty valuable in his time with the Raps then....

Good lord he's already 33.... damn I feel old.

Skywalker
07-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Rasho's defense is overrated he's getting older and was never quick or athletic to begin with. He's good at positioning himself and wacking the ball away before the offensive player can make a move but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some DNP- CD this year. Shoulda brought Pops back, IMO.

brwnman
07-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Rasho's defense is overrated he's getting older and was never quick or athletic to begin with. He's good at positioning himself and wacking the ball away before the offensive player can make a move but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some DNP- CD this year. Shoulda brought Pops back, IMO.

How is it overrated? Players rave about it. Coaches talk about it. And more importantly, stats prove it as well. So how exactly is it overrated? Just because you don't understand how to play defense and what positional defense actually is, doesn't mean he is not good at it. God, you're one ignorant prick! Learn the game before you comment on it...

berraco
07-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Air Rasho is back to Canada! I want to see all these old avatars back in the forum :)

DECK
07-30-2009, 02:36 PM

ALMOST AS GOOD AS THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNwrfwi0JLE

Maniak
07-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Rasho! Rasho! Rasho!

Great signing. The Raptors are having a good offseason, more or less.

Zan Tabak
07-30-2009, 03:49 PM
And the Raptor train keeps chugging along ...chooo chooo...:cheers:

T.O.RAPS
07-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Back to the playoffs for sure, last year was a fluke for Rasho

jaydacris
07-30-2009, 04:18 PM
"Rasho is awesome"
-Tim Duncan

Skywalker
07-30-2009, 08:37 PM
How is it overrated? Players rave about it. Coaches talk about it. And more importantly, stats prove it as well. So how exactly is it overrated? Just because you don't understand how to play defense and what positional defense actually is, doesn't mean he is not good at it. God, you're one ignorant prick! Learn the game before you comment on it...

hey ****face if a 7 foot defensive force was on the market you think he'd sign this cheap? :roll:

I thought all this Rasho hype by Raptors fans was a joke but you're REALLY serious? lmao ****in moron

G-train
07-30-2009, 08:50 PM
"Touch me Rasho"
- Tim Duncan's wife

G-train
07-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Rasho plays within himself for 10 mins a game off the bench. That's pretty valuable in the NBA.

new noise
07-30-2009, 08:51 PM
hey ****face if a 7 foot defensive force was on the market you think he'd sign this cheap? :roll:

Read the post you were replying to. Positional defense etc etc. Nobody's calling the guy an athletic shot-blocking monster. He comes cheap because he's strictly a backup and won't be playing 40+ minutes a game.

Loser.

T-Low
07-30-2009, 08:56 PM

I thought all this Rasho hype by Raptors fans was a joke but you're REALLY serious? lmao ****in moron

Here's a question. Would you want to play where your son was born AND is living when you have already earned over 30 mil in your career so far?

Skywalker
07-30-2009, 08:57 PM
brwnman and all these ******gers make it sound like he's a shutdown defender

the guy is so close to worthless, why not keep POPS instead, young guy who rebounds like no one else on the Raptors

btw that says n u t h u g g e r s not something else :lol

Skywalker
07-30-2009, 09:01 PM
http://solecollector.com/shoes/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/11-26-marcobelinelli.jpg

much better acquisition

Maniak
07-30-2009, 09:13 PM
I wish we got the guy on the right of that picture instead.

Skywalker
07-30-2009, 09:43 PM
we got a better version in the draft :lol

same school too

nev3rh00d
07-31-2009, 07:08 AM

I loled @ description:
On April 2, 2008 at 7:34PM EST, Nesterović hit his first three point shot ever in the regular season, with a pump fake, for a buzzer beater against the Atlanta Hawks, in Atlanta. Watch this historical moment, its importance paralleled only to the moon landing, the fall of the Berlin Wall and Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech.

brwnman
07-31-2009, 05:21 PM

the guy is so close to worthless, why not keep POPS instead, young guy who rebounds like no one else on the Raptors

He is a pretty shutdown defender. Elite? No. But he makes it tougher for you to score than 90% of centers in the league. The thing is, he doesn't have much mileage left. He can give a solid 20 minutes a game. And nobody is going to break the bank for a guy who'll only play 20 minutes. He'll help us when we face the tough centers in the East, like Shaq and Howard and even help us against KG and some lanky PFs. I am sure he had similar offers from other teams, but he chose the place that he felt most comfortable and his role is defined and he is familiar with some of the players.

and you say he is "close to worthless," that is downright comedy. And why not keep Pops? I am not against Pops, but the downside? He will be already 26 when the season starts, that is not exactly young. His offensive game consists of nothing else but dunking, while he has improved his footwork; he is not gonna scare anyone with his offense. He doesn't play much defense. He cheats for blocks a lot, and doesn't get many. And oh his rebounding? That's also overrated by people who only see "hustle, heart, determination" and all that garbage. He averaged the same amount of offensive rebounds as defensive and most of the offensive rebounds came off his own misses. He shot an amazing 35% last year as a PF; great job there bud. This team doesn't really have a need for him anymore. Evans can do what Pops can do, but a lot better. Pops is just more flashy with his dunks, but Evans will become a fan favorite fairly soon as well.

So next time you decide to call me out, make sure you know the game. Name-calling and using abbreviations such as "lol" and "lmao" will only get you so far, because in the end, the only moron that comes out of this whole argument is you. Thank you. And good day sir...

b4ball
07-31-2009, 06:44 PM

brwnman is an excellent poster. He puts thought into his posts and expresses himself clearly. Plus he understands the game well. If you don’t like Rasho, that’s fine, but you’re way overboard in calling out anybody who sees any value in him.

Don’t make it seem like you’ve been a short bus student all your life. Grow up and stop the name calling. At this point enough posters have tried to tell you Rasho is much much better then you give him credit for.

Sometimes it’s best to stay quiet and have people think you’re dumb then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Toni
07-31-2009, 09:28 PM
A great acquisition for the cheap bi-annual to play 10mins a game off the bench. Rasho knows his role and can play positional defense in situationals against other big centers of the league. This in turn will also keep Bosh and Bargnani out of foul trouble. Great to have you back Rasho!

Dave3
08-01-2009, 12:00 AM
This is good news but, ARE WE GETTING POPS BACK????

Dr. Hoopenstein
08-01-2009, 12:55 AM
This is good news but, ARE WE GETTING POPS BACK????Yes, it's just a matter of time ie moving either individually or in some type of combination- Ukic, POB, Douby & Banks- in order to free up a roster slot for Pop's who has been working on his SF skill set in order to be more versatile.

Rasho is a solid pick up, now TO needs to somehow dump POB and sign a veteran big man like LWright, BSkinner, JaCollins, SMarks, JarCollins or a hungry young big man like JPetro instead of the lackadaisical POB to be the 3rd string C.

b4ball
08-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Colangelo has said a couple times that Ukic ia not part of the Raptors future plans. I like Ukic, but Belineli makes him redundant. Douby might be the sleeper in the back court providing excellent limited minutes.

Pops is entirely dependent on what Colangelo does with Ukic, who I think has value. Even if Ukic has little or no value Colangelo will trade him for something worth while.

BRabbiT
08-01-2009, 01:38 PM
good value for what Rasho will bring to the table...quiet leader, too.

bagelred
08-03-2009, 09:41 PM
I don't have any comment.

I just wanted to move this thread from the bottom to the top of the sticky list.:lol

red1
08-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Rasho approves.
http://www.hoopsvibe.com/IMG/rasho_nesterovic-arton21113-240x240.jpg