PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a defender who crowds?

JackTheRipper
08-10-2009, 05:17 PM
I've been having trouble with guys that really body you up out on the perimeter. I don't play organized ball, so they could be fouling me for all I know. So when they crowd me I try to attack their weak side but they just bump me and I can't get by them...at least not far enough to penetrate.

They don't usually reach across me for the steal so I can't complain about that, and their D doesn't cause me to turn it over, but I feel pretty useless out there if I can't get any penetration, and I can't pull up because they're all over me. How do you deal with those types of players? Should I just try backing it out past the 3-point line and trying to drive by them from there? Any other options?

Rake2204
08-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Being guarded in close proximity when you have not used your dribble on the perimeter is a position of power. The defender may very well be guarding you that tight because he's taking the chance that you will not be aggressive enough to counter.

If you've ever noticed while you played defense yourself, the closer you are to guarding someone, the quicker you need to be able to react to their movements. This is why, when guarding a quick player at the top of the key who can't shoot, many defenders will sag off as this will make it more difficult for the offensive player to drive.

To get to the solution, a defender guarding you extremely tight is succeptable to any sudden movements, namely, jab-steps. Also, I would consider clearing space with your non-pivot foot (again assuming you have an un-used dribble).

If you are being crowded with a live dribble and you're feeling pressed, relax. Put your body between your man and the basketball. You are nearly in the same boat as you were when you hadn't used your dribble yet. A defender guarding you very tight is actually easier to evade and penetrate upon than one providing space.

Further, it may not always be about making a move all the way to the bucket. Sometimes a simple sharp step toward the basket with or without a dribble is enough to suggest to the defender that perhaps you deserve some space.

Mordecai11
08-10-2009, 08:26 PM
If he's guarding you straight up and you need space just stick your non pivot foot between his legs (crotch him) I call it.

That forces him to step back unless he wants to get hurt.

Use that to get him off you and when he tries to get back in your face hit 'em with a jab step or some sort of move that may lead him to become off balance.

Also, you want to rip through, low and hard from one side to the other, that'll clear a little bit of space and with the momentum you have you might be able to drive right by him. (that probably doesn't make much sense, i'm trying to look for a youtube video.)

http://www.powermate-llc.com/rip.php
kinda like in that video

antonioray
08-10-2009, 08:52 PM
usually when that happens in organized ball you back out a bit and wait for a pick

or if you have a great crossover you can fake him out one way

kind of how sasha vujacic plays D right?
well you saw what ray allen did to beat him to the bucket for the layup at the end of game 4 or something of the finals last year

and that move the person above me described is pretty useful
you take a step towards him(but ur not facing him directly) and put ur foot/shin right between his legs

people dont like it but it works

JackTheRipper
08-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Common sense always told me it should be easier to get around guys that are playing you super tight, but when I got in the situation it didn't work out. Maybe I just wasn't playing the angles right, and/or letting his bumps frustrate me too much.

At one point in triple threat I jabbed hard right and then went to my left but after he recovered he just jumped in front of me; which at that point was an obvious and overt blocking foul and he let me check it up top. But the smaller bumps may not have been fouls, and I couldn't get past them physically (or mentally I suppose).

I'll have to try jabbing in between his legs and see how that goes. I was also bringing the ball up a lot of the time and didn't have many triple threat opportunities. I did get some solid looks after teammates set screens for me, but I want to have more versatility than relying on screens all the time.

Also, the rip-through...really? Do people actually buy that? It's almost $1k. I could hire a kid to stand there for much less. And he could rebound for me too.

MannyO
08-10-2009, 11:48 PM
get in a good triple threat position with your elbows out (he won't be dumb enough to get 2 close if he does spear him the head with an elbow by 'accident')
, now you can get a good jab step and go the other way. OR just blow by him.

Mordecai11
08-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. Common sense always told me it should be easier to get around guys that are playing you super tight, but when I got in the situation it didn't work out. Maybe I just wasn't playing the angles right, and/or letting his bumps frustrate me too much.

At one point in triple threat I jabbed hard right and then went to my left but after he recovered he just jumped in front of me; which at that point was an obvious and overt blocking foul and he let me check it up top. But the smaller bumps may not have been fouls, and I couldn't get past them physically (or mentally I suppose).

I'll have to try jabbing in between his legs and see how that goes. I was also bringing the ball up a lot of the time and didn't have many triple threat opportunities. I did get some solid looks after teammates set screens for me, but I want to have more versatility than relying on screens all the time.

Also, the rip-through...really? Do people actually buy that? It's almost $1k. I could hire a kid to stand there for much less. And he could rebound for me too.

I'm not saying buy that, but use that technique..
My basketball coach holds some sort of pad, sometimes like a hockey goalie leg pad and he holds it out and you have to rip under it.
It helps shake guys off you to get enough space to blow buy them or set them up for a dribble move

Fallguy20
08-11-2009, 02:27 AM
If they are crowding you then I assume that means they are in low, so fake a pass high to get them to stand up a little bit and then rip low left/right with a fake before coming back with the crossover... or better yet just jabstep and take off towards the hoop the otherway and look for a floater.

dab0yech0
08-11-2009, 04:14 AM
Jab step and rocker step should do the trick.

1manfastbreak
08-11-2009, 05:17 AM
honestly, if you want them to get off of you, get the ball with your back to the basket, squeeze the ball with your elbows extended and pivot, if they are to close to you, they will catch an elbow. It's all legal, ive done it before in games and nothing was called. And believe me they will think twice about tryin to body you up next time.

Automajic23
08-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Being guarded in close proximity when you have not used your dribble on the perimeter is a position of power. The defender may very well be guarding you that tight because he's taking the chance that you will not be aggressive enough to counter.

If you've ever noticed while you played defense yourself, the closer you are to guarding someone, the quicker you need to be able to react to their movements. This is why, when guarding a quick player at the top of the key who can't shoot, many defenders will sag off as this will make it more difficult for the offensive player to drive.

To get to the solution, a defender guarding you extremely tight is succeptable to any sudden movements, namely, jab-steps. Also, I would consider clearing space with your non-pivot foot (again assuming you have an un-used dribble).

If you are being crowded with a live dribble and you're feeling pressed, relax. Put your body between your man and the basketball. You are nearly in the same boat as you were when you hadn't used your dribble yet. A defender guarding you very tight is actually easier to evade and penetrate upon than one providing space.

Further, it may not always be about making a move all the way to the bucket. Sometimes a simple sharp step toward the basket with or without a dribble is enough to suggest to the defender that perhaps you deserve some space.

good post

HighFlyer23
08-11-2009, 12:22 PM
use your pivot foot and attack them back ... fakes would be extremely effective if hes an agressive defender ...

LevisJeans
08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Pump fake and explode past him while he eats your dust. Or do what Kobe does a lot; create space by stepping back, jabbing, or crossing over.

phoenix18
08-11-2009, 03:30 PM
When someone is crowding you:
1.Use a lot of triple threat moves.
2.When dribbling protect the ball
3.Make sure when your changing direction, to put the ball between the legs or behind the back.
4.Take advantage of their aggression: Ex. He is crowding you. So you drive hard to right, hesitate, he is trying to get back in postion, blow past him.
5.Remember that no matter what, you will never be able to get free all the time.

NotYetGreat
08-12-2009, 05:02 AM
Don't use your dribble right away. It'll make him guess. Use a lot of fakes and jab steps too. Don't forget to keep your offhand up when dribbling and always drive hard. That's all I can give you right now.:ohwell:

DatZNasty
08-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Sounds like you must be soft and/or a bad athlete and/or a bad ball handler. Most of what these have posted will work, particularly just holding the ball strong with both hands and pivoting while ripping through (don't be Malone and try to elbow somebody, but naturally when making that motion the elbow is there and they'll have to give you some space), I'd say work on the aforementioned aspects though. I'm a big ass dude and quick and strong, crowding me is the worse thing because once I get by you you won't get back in front of me.

You might also try the half spin quasi post up kind of dribble, same theory. You're dribbling straight at them and when it looks like they're going to lunge/reach in at you you half spin and put your shoulder there. If you do it on a drive, you can knock them back enough which then also makes it harder for them to jump to contest, still without it being an offensive foul.

Shoo
08-16-2009, 12:31 AM
If he's guarding you straight up and you need space just stick your non pivot foot between his legs (crotch him) I call it.

That forces him to step back unless he wants to get hurt.

Wow, usually I'm one of the quicker guys on the court but have a horrible jumpshot so they usually give me a lot of space... But for those few times this does happen... I've gotta try this...

Mordecai11
08-16-2009, 02:04 AM
Wow, usually I'm one of the quicker guys on the court but have a horrible jumpshot so they usually give me a lot of space... But for those few times this does happen... I've gotta try this...

Yeah i'm sure it'll help you, it's always helped me a lot