PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Gay gains 20 pounds of muscle

brandonislegend
08-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Rudy Gay has added nearly 20 pounds of muscle this summer in an attempt to bulk up for next season.
Gay boasts that he's topping off at 241 pounds which now gives him the size to challenge people like LeBron James (250 pounds) and Carmelo Anthony (230 pounds) on the defensive end and will help him become more of an interior threat.
Source: NBA.com

breakout all star season coming up!

after he went off against durant in summer usa scrimmage game...

Showcase stats: 27 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 11-12 fg, 3-4 3pt, 2-2 ft

The numbers say it all. Nobody was sharper offensively than Gay. We know he's an athletic freak, but he had his jumper going all week, making him impossible to guard.

JG000
08-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Rudy Gay has added nearly 20 pounds of muscle this summer in an attempt to bulk up for next season.
Gay boasts that he's topping off at 241 pounds which now gives him the size to challenge people like LeBron James (250 pounds) and Carmelo Anthony (230 pounds) on the defensive end and will help him become more of an interior threat.

eh, i like the finesse in his game.

hopefully it won't be lost

20 pounds of muscle is A LOT

Da Ballahollic
08-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Challenge LeBron.. I Doubt it.

And LeBron weighs more then 250 now..

brandonislegend
08-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Yeah he worked on his jumper, going 11-12 FG against the length of durant the only shot he missed was a 3 pointer

MannyO
08-13-2009, 11:36 PM
WOW what is his ****ing workout routine??? Lemme get some of that good stuff.

Snoop_Cat
08-13-2009, 11:38 PM
He pulled a Rashard

O.J A 6'4Mamba
WOW what is his ****ing workout routine??? Lemme get some of that good stuff.

On the grizzlies forum they said Mayo beefed up as well. That makes sense because both of them have been working out together this summer.

brandonislegend
The reason i'm so exicted is he can get to the rim at will..his wingspan is freaking ridicolous plus is 40+ inch vertical, when he is motivated he can get either a dunk or freethrows every time...maybe extra muscle will give him the confidence he needs to attack the rim

beasted86
08-13-2009, 11:39 PM
I hate when people throw around this "X pounds of muscle" statement. Unless your body fat % is relatively the same from when you started working out to when you finished the weight gain... it's not all muscle.

20lbs in 3 months is doable... though.

plowking
08-13-2009, 11:39 PM
LOL at Lebron being 250lbs. Lebron is about 275lbs.

And 20lbs of muscle? I doubt it. Some of it is water weight.

iDunk
08-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Alright, lets do this.

Rudy Gay's 2009-2010 Season:

PPG - 20.2
RPG - 5.8
APG - 2.3
SPG - 1.5
BPG - 1.0
FG - 46%
3P - 36%
FT - 78%

Interminator
08-13-2009, 11:47 PM
The reason i'm so exicted is he can get to the rim at will..his wingspan is freaking ridicolous plus is 40+ inch vertical, when he is motivated he can get either a dunk or freethrows every time...maybe extra muscle will give him the confidence he needs to attack the rim
It doesn't matter, he still needs to work on his basketball IQ, rebounding, and defense. Hopefully he can develop better chemistry with Mayo, but I havent seen anything to show me they are working or even communicating with each other.

He has great basketball potential, im just hoping this season he can finally show how good of a player he really is.

KenneBell
08-13-2009, 11:59 PM
LOL at Lebron being 250lbs. .
Same with Melo at 230. They really need to update these guys height and weight every 2 years or something.

ShaqAttack3234
08-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Lebron is probably a bit over 260 while Carmelo has to be around 250+ himself.

DuMa
08-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Gay is 231 pounds at the most.

soaking wet.
with his 15k gold chain around his neck

RoseCity07
08-14-2009, 12:16 AM
No he didn't. The max amount of muscle a body builder with perfect nutrition can add is 5 pounds year, maybe 10 if you're a freak of nature. Now he's only been working out for a little over 2 or 3 months.

You're saying 20 pounds?:roll:

So what a dedicated body builder can expect to add in 3-4 years, Rudy gay added in 2 months?
What he probably did was add 2 pounds of muscle, and 18 pounds of fat.

OneMoreSucka
08-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Clearly hasn't added anywhere close to that in muscle. Adding just 20 pounds is doable though. Still won't be better than the elite SFs though.

Darius
08-14-2009, 12:19 AM
hahaha I love how every off-season you get these articles that are like "X player is going to BEAST this year because they gained X amount of muscle" but it never means sh;t

RoseCity07
08-14-2009, 12:21 AM
I hate when people throw around this "X pounds of muscle" statement. Unless your body fat % is relatively the same from when you started working out to when you finished the weight gain... it's not all muscle.

20lbs in 3 months is doable... though.

Actually no it's not. Not all muscle anyway.

plowking
08-14-2009, 12:33 AM
No he didn't. The max amount of muscle a body builder with perfect nutrition can add is 5 pounds year, maybe 10 if you're a freak of nature. Now he's only been working out for a little over 2 or 3 months.

So what a dedicated body builder can expect to add in 3-4 years, Rudy gay added in 2 months?

LOL. Stick to what you know. 5 pounds a year? LOL.

5 pounds can be added in no time. 20lbs over 3 months is very doable, and I mean very, I just don't think Rudy has done it.

Quata
08-14-2009, 12:33 AM
would be nice if he starts to use his body for drives more if this makes him less injury prone, little less of the jumper and more high % drives, leave the shooting to oj. I am really looking forward to see how this grizzlies team performs.

RoseCity07
08-14-2009, 12:45 AM

5 pounds can be added in no time. 20lbs over 3 months is very doable, and I mean very, I just don't think Rudy has done it.

Lol, not it's not. You don't know what you're talking about. So you are saying a person can add 120 pounds of muscle a year? in 5 years they can add 600 pounds? You sound goofy.

Check out this guys channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961

He said himself 5 pounds in a year is hard enough to add. Now you can have your ego hurt and try and act like you know what you're talking about, reject this guys insight. But I'm listening to this guy for body building advice over you.

Torious
08-14-2009, 12:54 AM
He was either on a McDonalds diet and most of it is fat, or the NBA needs to rethink it's performence enhancing drugs policy. (or this report is BS all together)

plowking
08-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Lol, not it's not. You don't know what you're talking about. So you are saying a person can add 120 pounds of muscle a year? in 5 years they can add 600 pounds? You sound goofy.

He said himself 5 pounds in a year is hard enough to add. Now you can have your ego hurt and try and act like you know what you're talking about, reject this guys insight. But I'm listening to this guy for body building advice over you.

LOL.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said, that you can gain 600lbs of muscle in 5 years... It's not like there is a limit or anything...

So you are saying Christian Bale, who added 100lbs of weight in 6 months, only added 2.5lbs of muscle during that time? Do you know how stupid that sounds?

And as cliche as this sounds, I'm 6'4, 230lbs and maintain bodyfat between 8-11%.

MannyO
08-14-2009, 12:58 AM
idk man 20 pounds of muscle is sounding fishy even though I like OJ and Rudy. But its so hard to gain that much even in 3 months. I know for sure its hard for me to do so.

RoseCity07
08-14-2009, 01:03 AM
LOL.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said, that you can gain 600lbs of muscle in 5 years... It's not like there is a limit or anything...

So you are saying Christian Bale, who added 100lbs of weight in 6 months, only added 2.5lbs of muscle during that time? Do you know how stupid that sounds?

And as cliche as this sounds, I'm 6'4, 230lbs and maintain bodyfat between 8-11%.

They said Oden added 30 pounds of muscle last year too. The truth was it was like 5-10 pounds of muscle in his arms and chest, and 20 pounds fat. You could tell too by how heavy he looked. You don't realize how much muscle 5 pounds is.

Look at Lebron's arms his rookie year, and then look them this year. He works out all the time, he's not adding a 100 pounds of muscle. He has added 25-30 pounds in his career. Adding muscle takes time, it's not over night.

MannyO
08-14-2009, 01:05 AM

5 pounds in a year is way too little no way am I going to wait so long. In my opinion if you just eat more than you burn and gain about .5 - 1 lb a week for a few months you would have already more than 5 lbs. But now you just have to do bodyweight exercises daily and convert the fat to muscle, how simple is that.

plowking
08-14-2009, 01:09 AM
They said Oden added 30 pounds of muscle last year too. The truth was it was like 5-10 pounds of muscle in his arms and chest, and 20 pounds fat. You could tell too by how heavy he looked. You don't realize how much muscle 5 pounds is.

Look at Lebron's arms his rookie year, and then look them this year. He works out all the time, he's not adding a 100 pounds of muscle. He has added 25-30 pounds in his career. Adding muscle takes time, it's not over night.

You do realize those guys were near their peak?...

You still haven't answered the question. Did Christian Bale only gain 2.5lbs of muscle while adding 100lbs of weight in 6 months?

plowking
08-14-2009, 01:10 AM
5 pounds in a year is way too little no way am I going to wait so long. In my opinion if you just eat more than you burn and gain about .5 - 1 lb a week for a few months you would have already more than 5 lbs. But now you just have to do bodyweight exercises daily and convert the fat to muscle, how simple is that.

So easy that the entire American population is muscle bound... :rolleyes:

plowking
08-14-2009, 01:13 AM

Once again :oldlol:

You think he trained all summer to add two pounds of muscle and add 7% to his body fat percentage? :oldlol:

That could only harm his play and development as a basketballer. :oldlol:

DatZNasty
08-14-2009, 01:20 AM
This dude said 5 lbs of muscle a year? What the **** kind of workout are you on? You must be one of those dudes who is in the classes with the females, walking the track with 2lb handweights in your hands wondering why you aren't seeing any results.

Rudy has been on Ustream a lot lately. I'll ask him about what kind of workout he is doing.

MannyO
08-14-2009, 01:23 AM
So easy that the entire American population is muscle bound... :rolleyes:

america is becoming LAZY. If I was about 200 pounds of fat Id be running and doing pushups. But they choose to keep eating and packin da pounds.

RoseCity07
08-14-2009, 01:26 AM
You do realize those guys were near their peak?...

You still haven't answered the question. Did Christian Bale only gain 2.5lbs of muscle while adding 100lbs of weight in 6 months?

Yes, probably. He ate a **** load of food. Probably high calorie low protein. It is very hard for the average person to add 100 pounds of muscle in just 6 months. I doubt he added that much too. Why are you changing the subject, to distract from the fact you're wrong. haha

Don't try and press me on a question because you think you have some valid point to make.

DatZNasty
08-14-2009, 01:30 AM
If his goal was to get stronger and gain muscle mass, he would more than likely have been on a high calorie HIGH protein diet, to ensure both a calorie surplus as well as enough protein for sufficient muscle recovery. You are a dumbass. Post on bodybuilding.com or tnation.com or fitday.com or any of the other respected fitness boards and see how many people agree with you.

plowking
08-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Yes, probably. He ate a **** load of food. Probably high calorie low protein. It is very hard for the average person to add 100 pounds of muscle in just 6 months. I doubt he added that much too. Why are you changing the subject, to distract from the fact you're wrong. haha

Don't try and press me on a question because you think you have some valid point to make.

I never said 100lbs of muscle. I said weight.

But since you seem to think he only added 2.5lbs of muscle from that 100lbs weight gain, and seeing as Christian Bale is only about 200lbs at most, you are saying he is pretty much more than 50% fat. :roll: :roll: :roll:

He would have had a damn heart attack by now. Did you see him in Batman? Does he look like 50% fat to you? :oldlol:

Admit you're wrong and move on.

gyu
08-14-2009, 01:35 AM
Any pictures?

MannyO
08-14-2009, 01:35 AM
when you gain strength you are going to also gain fat. Its almost impossible just to gain muscle alone without fat, thats probably why its going to take you a year to gain just 5 lbs. Idc Ill eat mcdonalds if I have to even if I gain fat. When I do my squats and stuff the fat is going to be reduced.

Abraham Lincoln
08-14-2009, 01:36 AM

No kidding. :eek: :roll: :roll:

kobesabi
08-14-2009, 01:39 AM

after he went off against durant in summer usa scrimmage game...

Showcase stats: 27 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 11-12 fg, 3-4 3pt, 2-2 ft

The numbers say it all. Nobody was sharper offensively than Gay. We know he's an athletic freak, but he had his jumper going all week, making him impossible to guard.
When Kobe gained alot muscle after some past summer ago, he wasn't as good as when he was thinner. Maybe Gay will be same since he got too much time on his hand. Btw, what did gay do that packed alot of muscle on his hand? :D

How do they know that it is pure muscle? It's easy to gain 20 lbs of mass in "Bulking" phase. It's tougher to gain 20 lbs of muscle in the "Cutting" phase.

RoseCity07
08-14-2009, 01:50 AM
I never said 100lbs of muscle. I said weight.

But since you seem to think he only added 2.5lbs of muscle from that 100lbs weight gain, and seeing as Christian Bale is only about 200lbs at most, you are saying he is pretty much more than 50% fat. :roll: :roll: :roll:

He would have had a damn heart attack by now. Did you see him in Batman? Does he look like 50% fat to you? :oldlol:

Admit you're wrong and move on.

Checkmate. Your saying that Bale went from 100 pounds to 200 pounds? Probably not true. Then you're also believing he added 100 pounds in 6 months. Yeah, with all that working out he did he put on 100 pounds. haha, right. You lost your argument.

But sure, keep arguing.

RoseCity07
08-14-2009, 01:54 AM
If his goal was to get stronger and gain muscle mass, he would more than likely have been on a high calorie HIGH protein diet, to ensure both a calorie surplus as well as enough protein for sufficient muscle recovery. You are a dumbass. Post on bodybuilding.com or tnation.com or fitday.com or any of the other respected fitness boards and see how many people agree with you.

Tell me kid. What diet do you know off that is high protein and high calorie? lol, there is none. Unless he is eating big macs with protein shakes. My cousin is a personal trainer, and his friend owns his own gym. They no more than your typical poster going on that site looking for advice. Don't try and tell me you goof ball.

Why would anyone trying to add muscle also try and add fat? haha you make no sense right there.

hayden695
08-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Tell me kid. What diet do you know off that is high protein and high calorie? lol, there is none. Unless he is eating big macs with protein shakes. My cousin is a personal trainer, and his friend owns his own gym. They no more than your typical poster going on that site looking for advice. Don't try and tell me you goof ball.

Why would anyone trying to add muscle also try and add fat? haha you make no sense right there.
did you play greg oden in guitar hero or was that Myth

RoseCity07
08-14-2009, 02:05 AM
Wasn't me.

ShaqAttack3234
08-14-2009, 02:22 AM
RoseCity, you don't think Christian Bale could have gained 100 pounds?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CId289lYIdc/SgQF2RwgQMI/AAAAAAAAC6g/xh1XVKfhYYI/s400/Christian+Bale+in+The+Machinist.jpg
http://www.socalworkout.com/wpblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/cin_bale.jpg

RoTM
08-14-2009, 02:29 AM
This Bale comparison is ridiculous. Bale is an actor who btw was over 30 when he accomplished this super human feat, not an athlete in the nba and he was clearly roiding to make his batman weight.

plowking
08-14-2009, 02:53 AM
This Bale comparison is ridiculous. Bale is an actor who btw was over 30 when he accomplished this super human feat, not an athlete in the nba and he was clearly roiding to make his batman weight.

:oldlol:

Bale was roiding? His physique shows absolutely no sign of roiding.

brandonislegend
08-14-2009, 02:54 AM
Yeah its called hard work.

plowking
08-14-2009, 02:57 AM
Checkmate. Your saying that Bale went from 100 pounds to 200 pounds? Probably not true. Then you're also believing he added 100 pounds in 6 months. Yeah, with all that working out he did he put on 100 pounds. haha, right. You lost your argument.

But sure, keep arguing.

Yes he did approximately weigh 100lbs. Here is a quote from http://movies.about.com/od/batman/a/batmancb060805.htm:

[QUOTE]

branslowski
08-14-2009, 03:08 AM
I don't understand why he would wan't to add this weight....He had a speed like, athletic game, with a smooth pull up jumper...He doesn't get in the post...He isn't a bigtime driver of the basketball...:confusedshrug: I just don't understand this.....Also, adding weight doesn't mean your gonna have an auto breakout season...:ohwell:

thejumpa
08-14-2009, 03:12 AM
I don't understand why he would wan't to add this weight....He had a speed like, athletic game, with a smooth pull up jumper...He doesn't get in the post...He isn't a bigtime driver of the basketball...:confusedshrug: I just don't understand this.....Also, adding weight doesn't mean your gonna have an auto breakout season...:ohwell:

Same here....people see that he gained 20 pounds (all muscle:rolleyes: ) and automatically assume he will be this defense and post up game god. First of all, I wanna see what his speed is like with 20 pounds added. Second, his game isn't in the post and I don't care if he is 250 with 8% BF.....Rudy Gay aint stoppin a 6'8 260 LeBron. That guy has the speed of a damn guard with the strength of Dwight Howard....:confusedshrug:

RoTM
08-14-2009, 03:22 AM
:oldlol:

Bale was roiding? His physique shows absolutely no sign of roiding.

Oh come on this guy is probably the most dedicated actor alive. I cant believe for a second he would have any objection to using steroids to make weight for the breakout role of his career whatsoever. Not to mention the guy was in his early thirties. You think the idea is lol worthy?

"Since he had lost a great deal of weight in preparation for his role in The Machinist, Bale hired a personal trainer to help him gain 100 pounds (45 kg) in the span of only a couple of months to help him physically prepare for the role. He first went well over the weight required and created concern over whether he would look right for the part. Bale recognized that his large physique was not appropriate for Batman, who relies on speed and strategy. He lost the excess weight by the time filming began."

Wiki says he was even more hulked out and he friggin dropped weight for filming.

quasimoto
08-14-2009, 05:31 AM
There are enough actors who use not so legal drugs to get themselves in shape. And I'd probably do the same if I was in their position.

Kebab Stall
08-14-2009, 05:36 AM
20lbs of pure muscle is a hell of a lot, most people don't realise exactly how much that is. It's definitly 20lbs of weight and not just muscle. One thing's for sure though, he'll definitly be looking bigger.

LA_Showtime
08-14-2009, 05:55 AM
20 pounds of muscle in 3 months? GTFO... maybe 5 pounds of muscle and 15 pounds from a ****load of carbs and protein.

Quata
08-14-2009, 06:47 AM
remember that muscle has 22% higher density than fat, so 20lb of muscle will look 80% the size of fat.
Having said this, it is still not likely that its close 20lb is 100% muscle.

muscle density = 1.1g per cm3 fat density .9g per cm3
5lb = 2272g.

So assuming he gains 5lb of muscle and 15lb of fat that is rougly 2000 cm3 of muscle spread over the whole body and 7500 cm3 of fat , the same volume that 2l of water would take up for muscle and around 3.25 2l bottles of fat.

dunno if that puts any perspective on it, i personally think it would be somewhere around the middle, considering professional athletes have a relatively low fat % a few of those lbs will be lost of the fat side.

pmj
08-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Just wanted to say, Plowking is tremendously wrong bringing up Christian Bale.

For one, the guy was already big, go watch American Psycho from years ago. Dropping a ton of weight for a movie role by starving yourself and then gaining it back is tremendously different than someone who already eating well and lifting normally trying to gain X amount of weight. It's like saying the prisoners from the concentration camps in WWII gained 50 pounds on average when they got out, so you can too! It's not comparable.

Also, he probably was juicing, although who cares, you would too for millions of dollars, and your comment that "he shows no signs of it" shows you don't know what you are talking about. Did A-Rod "show signs of it"? Sammy? Manny? Pretty much everyone in MMA? Cyclists? etc. Steroids speed recovery and muscle building, but it's your diet that determines whether you are "bulking" or not. You could take steroids and lower your calories with a lot of cardio, and you wouldn't gain a pound a muscle, but you wouldn't lose any muscle while you were losing a ton of fat; it's called cutting. You can't look at everyone and tell (barring 350 lb body builders), that's why there are piss tests.

MannyO
08-14-2009, 11:20 AM
remember that muscle has 22% higher density than fat, so 20lb of muscle will look 80% the size of fat.
Having said this, it is still not likely that its close 20lb is 100% muscle.

muscle density = 1.1g per cm3 fat density .9g per cm3
5lb = 2272g.

So assuming he gains 5lb of muscle and 15lb of fat that is rougly 2000 cm3 of muscle spread over the whole body and 7500 cm3 of fat , the same volume that 2l of water would take up for muscle and around 3.25 2l bottles of fat.

dunno if that puts any perspective on it, i personally think it would be somewhere around the middle, considering professional athletes have a relatively low fat % a few of those lbs will be lost of the fat side.

Yea athletes burn the fat anyway through working out and playing, so all thats left is the muscle. I was watching a Chris Paul documentary and he eats high fat foods but he burns it through playing and exercising

plowking
08-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Just wanted to say, Plowking is tremendously wrong bringing up Christian Bale.

For one, the guy was already big, go watch American Psycho from years ago. Dropping a ton of weight for a movie role by starving yourself and then gaining it back is tremendously different than someone who already eating well and lifting normally trying to gain X amount of weight. It's like saying the prisoners from the concentration camps in WWII gained 50 pounds on average when they got out, so you can too! It's not comparable.

Also, he probably was juicing, although who cares, you would too for millions of dollars, and your comment that "he shows no signs of it" shows you don't know what you are talking about. Did A-Rod "show signs of it"? Sammy? Manny? Pretty much everyone in MMA? Cyclists? etc. Steroids speed recovery and muscle building, but it's your diet that determines whether you are "bulking" or not. You could take steroids and lower your calories with a lot of cardio, and you wouldn't gain a pound a muscle, but you wouldn't lose any muscle while you were losing a ton of fat; it's called cutting. You can't look at everyone and tell (barring 350 lb body builders), that's why there are piss tests.

Have you seen Barry Bonds? Half the world could tell.

Furthermore, an obvious sign is gynocomastia, which Bale shows no signs of, unlike Bonds, who seemed to not bother hiding the fact that his man **** got bigger each time we saw him. Same with Manny.

Most of the NBA players are rail thin, in order to maintain speed, and thus are cut, and don't have a great deal of muscle in relevance to how much they could possibly have. Therefore they'd be at the start of their potential in terms of weight and muscle gain.

Most guys who are active though don't hit the gym much can expect a gain of 7lbs of muscle in 8 weeks if they begin a 4 day type program. Along with this comes around 2.5lbs of fat.

Kombo
08-14-2009, 11:49 AM
I remember when Ricky Williams came back to the Dolphins, he put on 25 pounds before training camp. Now Ricky is much shorter than gay so it's quite a bit more in relation to Gay's weight gain. I don't doubt he gained 20lbs, but it's not all muscle. Even if he didn't gain a lot of body fat, a lot of the weight is going to be water from creatine and like supplements.

pmj
08-14-2009, 11:59 AM

Have you seen Barry Bonds? Half the world could tell.

Furthermore, an obvious sign is gynocomastia, which Bale shows no signs of, unlike Bonds, who seemed to not bother hiding the fact that his man **** got bigger each time we saw him. Same with Manny.

Most of the NBA players are rail thin, in order to maintain speed, and thus are cut, and don't have a great deal of muscle in relevance to how much they could possibly have. Therefore they'd be at the start of their potential in terms of weight and muscle gain.

Most guys who are active though don't hit the gym much can expect a gain of 7lbs of muscle in 8 weeks if they begin a 4 day type program. Along with this comes around 2.5lbs of fat.

Gyno doesn't happen with everyone, or even most. It also is more likely if you have a higher body fat % when you take, which Bale obviously didn't. It also depends on the steroid you take. Some steroids have ZERO estrogenic side effects like gyno and acne, just like some have ZERO progestrin side effects like hair loss and enlarged prostates. It depends which ones you take. Pretty much all of them do cause testicular atrophy, but I doubt you saw his balls.
Also, I'm pretty sure I didn't say Bonds in my post, so I don't know why you brought him up. As an aside, I'd say his sides look more like HGH usage than anything, but I'm sure he did both.

I was simply pointing out how it's dumb to use Bale as an example when he obviously starved himself for a role. As far as natural weight gain, you're right, it really depends on your frame. I'm sure NBA players frames could acomodate 20 lbs of weight gain in an offseason.
Also, I'd bet all NBA players gain 10 lbs or so in the off season, just from not doing as much cardio, though it's probably mainly water weight.

plowking
08-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Gyno doesn't happen with everyone, or even most. It also is more likely if you have a higher body fat % when you take, which Bale obviously didn't. It also depends on the steroid you take. Some steroids have ZERO estrogenic side effects like gyno and acne, just like some have ZERO progestrin side effects like hair loss and enlarged prostates. It depends which ones you take. Pretty much all of them do cause testicular atrophy, but I doubt you saw his balls.
Also, I'm pretty sure I didn't say Bonds in my post, so I don't know why you brought him up. As an aside, I'd say his sides look more like HGH usage than anything, but I'm sure he did both.

I was simply pointing out how it's dumb to use Bale as an example when he obviously starved himself for a role. As far as natural weight gain, you're right, it really depends on your frame. I'm sure NBA players frames could acomodate 20 lbs of weight gain in an offseason.
Also, I'd bet all NBA players gain 10 lbs or so in the off season, just from not doing as much cardio, though it's probably mainly water weight.

You're making it sound as if he took some perfect steroid with no side effects. Perhaps a hint that he didn't take any? Hmm, I wonder.

quasimoto
08-14-2009, 12:10 PM
You're making it sound as if he took some perfect steroid with no side effects. Perhaps a hint that he didn't take any? Hmm, I wonder.
So you can tell if someone has taken steroids by simply looking at him? :confusedshrug: Yes, lots of PEDs have some bad side-effects, but they're not always visible, plus the reaction of your body depends on the person who takes them and the dose/frequency. Not everyone who takes steroids has man boobs.

pmj
08-14-2009, 12:11 PM
No I'm saying it's usually either or. For instance, the one A-Rod took, masteron, can't convert to estrogen and therefore doesn't have estrogenic side effects like gyno. So just saying someone doesn't have gyno doesn't mean anything at all.
Of course they all have side effects, but the main side effect (and most dangerous), is the fact that any time you have exogenous testosterone introduced, your body stops making it's own, and there's a chance your body won't "turn the switch" on when you stop taking it. Actually, this is pretty much the only side effect that is sure to happen. And you can't tell it by looking at them.

plowking
08-14-2009, 12:17 PM
So you can tell if someone has taken steroids by simply looking at him? :confusedshrug: Yes, lots of PEDs have some bad side-effects, but they're not always visible, plus the reaction of your body depends on the person who takes them and the dose/frequency. Not everyone who takes steroids has man boobs.

There are plenty of other side effects, and Bale really doesn't show any.

plowking
08-14-2009, 12:23 PM
And pmj, gyno is actually caused by both pro and est.

Batman
08-14-2009, 12:34 PM
probably means 20 pounds of weight which is still impressive.
They should seriously have NBA players weight themselves each year because all of their weights are from their rookie year at the combine before starting an NBA weight lifting program with trainers.

I mean do you honestely believe Rudy Gay outweighs Carmelo Anthony by 11 pounds?

brantonli
08-14-2009, 01:28 PM

I just wonder how to NBA players who all look so toned still continually put on muscle. It seems like almost any NBA player can shed/gain XX pounds of muscle in no time (but considering their peak physical shape, how do they go beyond that peak?)

Vancouver-Grizz
08-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Muscles are GAY!!!!!

lefthook00
08-14-2009, 01:34 PM
You guys need to learn more about bodybuilding. If you are bulking hard and eating right, you should be able to put on almost a lb a week(a mix of fat/muscle), and this is not constant, it will become harder to put on muscle as time goes by. Any more than this and you're gaining too much fat.

When bulking, can keep your bodyfat% around the same b/c while you're gaining more fat, you're also gaining more total bodyweight(muscle & fat), so the ratio of bodyfat to your total bodyweight can stay the same. Any excess calories you eat that you don't go to protein synthesis or don't burn off will likely turn to fat.

Have you seen 1lb of ribeye steak? It's pretty f*cking big. And thats a mix of muscle/fat, not even pure muscle. So imagine slapping 20 1lb STEAKS ON RUDY GAY!!!! Do you know how freakish he would look? And if you're talking about pure muscle, 1 BIG chicken breast is like 6oz and its mostly protein. 20 lbs of chicken is about 53 CHICKEN BREASTS ON RUDY GAY!!!!

As for steroids, what causes gyno is this. Since you're body cannot tell the difference between natural and synthetic testosterone, when your test levels are elevated due to roids, your estrogen rises/testosterone is converted to estrogen to keep the test/estro ratio the same. There is an enzyme called aromatase that converts extra estrogen. So you end up getting gyno. However, there are PLENTY of aromatase inhibitors/killers that will suppress your estrogen so you don't get gyno.

pmj
08-14-2009, 01:35 PM
And pmj, gyno is actually caused by both pro and est.
You're right in that respect, I was thinking that way because as I understand it when I was reading, it is a different kind of gyno, slightly more severe. There still many steroids that don't cause gyno, and like I said, it depends on the person.
Honestly when you read about the sides, they list sides from EVERY steroids but in reality but in reality each category usually has it's own, and many are exaggerated, such as "roid rage" (most ppl have a better sense of well-being if anything, although it is funny in this case considering Bale's taped outburst), blood pressure, acne, and liver/kidney problems (which happen almost exclusively in oral steroids, not injected ones). Dude, you can't tell by looking at him, and it's pretty ignorant to act like you can, no offense.

pmj
08-14-2009, 01:37 PM
However, there are PLENTY of aromatase inhibitors/killers that will suppress your estrogen so you don't get gyno.

That as well, I didn't even mention support compounds.

PistonsFan#21
08-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Whoever said adding more than 5lbs of muscle in a year is impossible is totally wrong. This is just a myth like weight lifting will stunt your growth. Plenty of people new to weight lifting gain 30-40 pounds of muscle in a year if they are dedicated and follow a good workout/diet . Sure they will gain some fat too but its almost impossible to gain alot of weight without any fat.

lefthook00
08-14-2009, 02:03 PM
No I'm saying it's usually either or. For instance, the one A-Rod took, masteron, can't convert to estrogen and therefore doesn't have estrogenic side effects like gyno. So just saying someone doesn't have gyno doesn't mean anything at all.
Of course they all have side effects, but the main side effect (and most dangerous), is the fact that any time you have exogenous testosterone introduced, your body stops making it's own, and there's a chance your body won't "turn the switch" on when you stop taking it. Actually, this is pretty much the only side effect that is sure to happen. And you can't tell it by looking at them.

I agree that you can't tell by looking at them, but there are SOME signs, like over-developed rear deltoids, 1 because they are hard to target and grow more slowly than your front/mid deltoid heads so its weird if they are as big as the front of your shoulders, and 2 because there are a LOT of androgen receptors in your shoulders so they seem to grow very fast when you're on roids. BUT a completely natural person could have overgrown shoulders b/c they work out a lot or b/c of genetics.

thejumpa
08-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Whoever said adding more than 5lbs of muscle in a year is impossible is totally wrong. This is just a myth like weight lifting will stunt your growth. Plenty of people new to weight lifting gain 30-40 pounds of muscle in a year if they are dedicated and follow a good workout/diet . Sure they will gain some fat too but its almost impossible to gain alot of weight without any fat.

30-40 pounds of muscle in a year? That's a lot man.....matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen it.

Either way, Gay probably did gain 20 pounds and is probably stronger. It's probably not all muscle though. At the end of the day, I wanna see the pics of Rudy Gay, Stephen Jackson, and Al Jefferson (bulked to 285 and now is cutting down to 265 just to see how big these guys really are. If Gay or Jackson thinks the key to guarding a Melo or LeBron is gaining weight and calling it muscle, they have another thing coming...

Anti404
08-14-2009, 02:31 PM
twenty pounds of muscle is a lot to gain in the time span he has had... five to ten with the rest being water/fat makes a lot more sense.

Rob123
08-14-2009, 02:48 PM

No it's not. Just stop, you have no idea what you're talking about.

You can gain 20 pounds in 3 months. But 75% of it will be fat, or water weight from taking creatine.

20 pounds of muscle in three months is absolutely unbelievable. It's completely impossible. Do you know how short a time frame that is?

Oh and I played division 1 lacrosse. Our trainers and workout regimes could rival some nba programs. I know what I'm talking about.

Rob123
08-14-2009, 03:05 PM
For anyone interested

Question:
How much muscle mass can I gain?

Answer:
Most gym rats expect to build LOTS of muscle really fast. This is a myth. You can NOT build muscle really FAST. The majority of readers, customers and clients I work with have completely unrealistic expectations when it comes to building muscle.

I can't put an exact number on how much you can gain but most people believe that they can build 20 pounds of muscle in three months...

...it's amazing how many frusturated customers I get emailing me after their first month of training complaining that they only gained 5 or 10 pounds. I'm thinking to myself, "That's fantastic, what are you complaining about?!"

There is no doubt you can gain 20 pounds of WEIGHT in 3 months or even one month, but we are not talking about *weight* - we are talking about *DRY MUSCLE*

Pure muscle tissue. Not water weight. Not glycogen weight. Pure muscle weight!

There is not a chance in heaven that you will gain 5 or even 10 pounds of dry muscle in one month or even 3 months - not even close. I hate to be the messenger of this bad news but unless you are using growth enhancing drugs...

... it's IMPOSSIBLE.

Many of you might be upset or discouraged about the TRUTH of how much you can actually build but this knowledge will help you to eat and train with a more realistic perspective. So how much muscle can your body actually manufacture?

Under the BEST possible circumstances (training, diet, supplementation, recovery) the average male body can create between *0.25 and 0.50* pounds of dry muscle tissue per week. That's the natural amount that your body chemistry will allow.

So your looking at 1-2 pounds of dry muscle each month. Not much? Well consider what your body will look like in 12 months from now with an extra 12-24 pounds of muscle?!?!

http://www.ironmagazine.com/viewarticle-3995.html

AK 3K
08-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Lets see if he can be a legit threat in the post, although I doubt we'll see much of that from him.

RoseCity07
08-14-2009, 05:22 PM
No it's not. Just stop, you have no idea what you're talking about.

You can gain 20 pounds in 3 months. But 75% of it will be fat, or water weight from taking creatine.

20 pounds of muscle in three months is absolutely unbelievable. It's completely impossible. Do you know how short a time frame that is?

Oh and I played division 1 lacrosse. Our trainers and workout regimes could rival some nba programs. I know what I'm talking about.

I tried to tell him.

Human Error
08-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Damn, why are the Grizzlies fans the most delusional ones in this board?

OJ Mayo is already better than Wade, and now Rudy Gay will challenge LeBron?

What a freakin' hilarious bunch of people. I love them. :oldlol:

HOLLYWOOD
08-14-2009, 08:13 PM
I highly doubt he gained 20 pounds of muscle. 20 pounds of muscle is a lot and if you looked at his Olympic scrimmage tapes he does not look significantly bigger.

plowking
08-14-2009, 10:17 PM
For anyone interested

http://www.ironmagazine.com/viewarticle-3995.html

Yet the next article down in your search says you can gain 6-8lbs of muscle in just 6 weeks. Funny how you didnt include that one.

AdditionalSucka
08-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Yet the next article down in your search says you can gain 6-8lbs of muscle in just 6 weeks. Funny how you didnt include that one.
That doesn't really help your argument because it's still not 20lbs

plowking
08-14-2009, 11:02 PM
That doesn't really help your argument because it's still not 20lbs

6 weeks isn't 3 months either. :rolleyes:

So 8lbs in 6 weeks for an average joe, is about 16lbs over 3 months.
That's for a typical guy. I'd say an athlete is even better off with a personal and dedicated trainer...

kobesabi
08-15-2009, 01:53 AM
RoseCity, you don't think Christian Bale could have gained 100 pounds?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CId289lYIdc/SgQF2RwgQMI/AAAAAAAAC6g/xh1XVKfhYYI/s400/Christian+Bale+in+The+Machinist.jpg
http://www.socalworkout.com/wpblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/cin_bale.jpg
It's Hollywood, they can make any fat guy skinny and any skinny fat or muscular in a day.

Even if he could it's not necessarily muscle and very likely mostly fat and water.

I can lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks. I did that before. But gaining back is takes some time. Gaining 20 lbs of mass is doable. Gaining 20 lbs of muscle is not easy to do.

Big#50
08-15-2009, 03:56 AM

You're stupid. 5 pounds a year? You're stupid.

brantonli
08-15-2009, 03:57 AM
How about the actual article whence the thread comes from?

Like many of his peers, Rudy Gay wants his piece of the pie. But Gay doesn't want a mere standard slice. Dude wants a chunk.

So Gay is going big, or bigger, muscling up to 241 pounds this summer (he started last season about 222) so that he can start to wrestle with the NBA's big guys for his slice. Unless he wins a contract extension from the Grizzlies by Oct. 31, Gay will be a restricted free agent in the summer of 2010.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/08/13/rudygay/index.html

Kebab Stall
08-15-2009, 04:04 AM
Damn, why are the Grizzlies fans the most delusional ones in this board?

OJ Mayo is already better than Wade, and now Rudy Gay will challenge LeBron?

What a freakin' hilarious bunch of people. I love them. :oldlol:
Yet both people who made these comments are not Grizzlies fans. One was an OJ Mayo fan and knows d!ck about the Grizzlies and the other, the OP in this thread, is a Rudy fan first before a Grizzlies fan (he's actually a Laker fan).

The majority of Grizzlies fans, on the whole, don't hold this team in high regard and are quick to critcize it.

DatZNasty
08-15-2009, 11:14 AM
It's Hollywood, they can make any fat guy skinny and any skinny fat or muscular in a day.

Even if he could it's not necessarily muscle and very likely mostly fat and water.

I can lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks. I did that before. But gaining back is takes some time. Gaining 20 lbs of mass is doable. Gaining 20 lbs of muscle is not easy to do.
People on the internet just livke to be argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. Mostly fat and water?
http://iheartattacks.com/heart/images/stories/christian_bale_in_american_psycho.jpg
http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/christian-bale-miley-cyrus-batman-batgirl.jpg
http://oldnick.coraider.com/uploaded_images/christianbale-770999.jpg

AdditionalSucka
08-15-2009, 01:06 PM
6 weeks isn't 3 months either. :rolleyes:

So 8lbs in 6 weeks for an average joe, is about 16lbs over 3 months.
That's for a typical guy. I'd say an athlete is even better off with a personal and dedicated trainer...
And that's not 20 lbs is it. If we're going to use a specific number, stick with it. Again your argument is going nowhere because 4 lbs of muscle is a big difference.

kobesabi
08-15-2009, 01:31 PM
People on the internet just livke to be argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. Mostly fat and water?
http://oldnick.coraider.com/uploaded_images/christianbale-770999.jpg

I was referring to someone's claim that average joe can gain 20lbs of muscle in 3 months. That is not typical of average joe in such short time. It's doable when you are bulking to gain mass. Normal process is you bulk, then you cut down to have more muscle ratio over fat. What this mean is if Gay wants to gain 20 lbs of muscle, he has to go from 260s to 300s...then later doing a lot of cutting workout to bring down to around the 280s. Each process take time. Bulking can take less time. Cutting phase thereafter takes alot of time.

The scrawny pix of Bale looks like he was taken from some long time ago before he took Batman pic. It does not say or suggest anywhere that he started from that and recover in 3 months later nor does does it support he gained that tons of muscle mass. It likely took alot longer than 3 months.

AdditionalSucka
08-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Supposedly Bale gained 100lbs in 6 months for Batman from The Machinist.

TheGrassIsGreen
08-15-2009, 01:38 PM
The scrawny pix of Bale looks like he was taken from some long time ago before he took Batman pic. It does not say or suggest anywhere that he started from that and recover in 3 months later nor does does it support he gained that tons of muscle mass. It likely took alot longer than 3 months.

Going directly from Machinist to Batman involved a weight fluctuation of nearly 100 pounds for Bale. "You do get a lot of nervous energy. I think putting weight on, unfortunately I had to put it on pretty fast and it's not very healthy doing that. That was when I felt bad. I did actually start to feel I was putting my body under too much pressure because I put on 100 pounds in five months. You get big mood swings, but not such a bad thing when you're playing this darker version of Batman."

20 lbs isn't so inconceivable, though Rudy's frame makes it kind of hard to believe.

kobesabi
08-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Going directly from Machinist to Batman involved a weight fluctuation of nearly 100 pounds for Bale. "You do get a lot of nervous energy. I think putting weight on, unfortunately I had to put it on pretty fast and it's not very healthy doing that. That was when I felt bad. I did actually start to feel I was putting my body under too much pressure because I put on 100 pounds in five months. You get big mood swings, but not such a bad thing when you're playing this darker version of Batman."

20 lbs isn't so inconceivable, though Rudy's frame makes it kind of hard to believe.
It still FAIL to say anywhere that he does it in 3 months.

I didn't say it's not doable. It's doable but not in 3 months.

To all of you who keep on using Bale from Machinist to Batman, he DID NOT do it in 3 months. He did it in 6 months with professional trainer.

See excerpt here

Still fresh from The Machinist, it became necessary for Bale to bulk up to match Batman's muscular physique. He was given a deadline of six months to do this. Bale recalled it as far from a simple accomplishment: “...when it actually came to building muscle, I was useless. I couldn’t do one push up the first day. All of the muscles were gone, so I had a real tough time rebuilding all of that.”[29] With the help of a personal trainer, Bale succeeded in meeting the deadline, gaining a total of 100lbs (46 kg) in six months. He went from about 130lbs to 230lbs.[37] He then discovered that he had actually gained more weight than the director desired, and dropped his weight to 190lbs by the time filming began.[38]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Bale

So there, that make better sense. Btw, "Bulking" mean it's not pure 100lbs of muscle to those who does not understand the difference between bulking and cutting.

-M-I
08-15-2009, 02:19 PM
There's a difference between putting on 100lbs and gaining 20 pounds of pure muscle. That's just not possible in three months.

TheGrassIsGreen
08-15-2009, 03:20 PM
It still FAIL to say anywhere that he does it in 3 months.

I didn't say it's not doable. It's doable but not in 3 months.

To all of you who keep on using Bale from Machinist to Batman, he DID NOT do it in 3 months. He did it in 6 months with professional trainer.

See excerpt here

He actually did it in 5 months— a measley 2 months off Gay's time frame. Add to the fact that Bale gained 100lbs to his 20lbs. Seeing as how Bale barely had any muscle to begin with, it's highly unlikely that a personal trainer would allow a client, who initially weighed 120lbs, gain more than 50lbs of fat.

Let's play it close to the edge and say he gained 40lbs of fat. This means he packed on 60lbs of muscle in 5 months. A higher rate than Rudy Gay.

This is of course under the assumption that the personal trainer took health into account. But what's also striking is that the studio probably wouldn't have cast Bale if he was a fat lard bucket when he came in for readings.

Anecdotal evidence, yes, but evidence nonetheless. Something you can't really account for.

lefthook00
08-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Any recent pics of Rudy?

SCdac
08-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Any recent pics of Rudy?

these picks were taken probably 3-4 weeks ago. google "Rudy Gay team USA" for more.

http://www.hoopsdaily.com/files/images/rgay01.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0725/nba_g_gay_576.jpg

twolvesfan
08-15-2009, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE=TheGrassIsGreen]He actually did it in 5 months

Kebab Stall
08-15-2009, 05:07 PM
these picks were taken probably 3-4 weeks ago. google "Rudy Gay team USA" for more.

http://www.hoopsdaily.com/files/images/rgay01.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0725/nba_g_gay_576.jpg
Doesn't like he's gained an ounce to me.

TheGrassIsGreen
08-15-2009, 05:11 PM
it is a lot easier to gain weight rapidly when your body was in as bad shape as Bales was.

Well, yeah but his metabolism would normalize after a certain point. But that's besides the argument. Bale proved that rapid weight gain like Gay's is possible.

SCdac
08-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Doesn't like he's gained an ounce to me.

I kind of agree. But then again, the dude has been cut since day one. Even at UCONN he was ripped. Hard to tell if he's gained weight, but, reportedly he did a good job holding down Durant on defense in the USA camp.

http://www.hoopsdaily.com/content/rudy-gay-and-kevin-durant-impress-usa-showcase

DatZNasty
08-15-2009, 08:35 PM
From 3 weeks ago

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/8b/fullj.60d6fce06e0b09f66db6be3c69f082d2/60d6fce06e0b09f66db6be3c69f082d2-getty-89079148ab015_usab_showcase.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/d8/fullj.bc55e2631d5757cb768b055a1a36b4e3/bc55e2631d5757cb768b055a1a36b4e3-getty-89079148ab010_usab_showcase.jpg

GiveItToBurrito
08-15-2009, 11:05 PM
I doubt he's really gained 20 pounds of muscle in one summer. It's a lot more likely that he gained ten pounds of fat and ten of muscle. Either way, I think it could backfire if it costs him some quickness, but it'll most likely be a good thing.

plowking
08-16-2009, 12:37 AM
And that's not 20 lbs is it. If we're going to use a specific number, stick with it. Again your argument is going nowhere because 4 lbs of muscle is a big difference.

Once again you fail to read what is right in front of you.

Average joe... Basketball players and movie stars are no average joe. They are earning multi millions a year to stay in shape. 4lbs while putting in much more work with a personal trainer is achievable.

LA_Showtime
08-16-2009, 12:59 AM
I doubt he's really gained 20 pounds of muscle in one summer. It's a lot more likely that he gained ten pounds of fat and ten of muscle. Either way, I think it could backfire if it costs him some quickness, but it'll most likely be a good thing.

Chances are he'll lose a bit of weight once the regular season starts. Keep the muscle, lose the fat.

xOShakespearexO
08-16-2009, 03:58 AM
gay and mayo could be a force in this league if they learn to play with each other

Floppy
08-16-2009, 08:16 AM
http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/miss_steroids.jpg