PDA

View Full Version : Video on the late 90s Lakers. The most disrespectful team of all time. In a good way.

Kblaze8855
08-16-2009, 12:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVnZweSYP6A

They didnt give a damn what the coach said, what the gameplan was, or what the fundamental play should be. You have Nick out there throwing floaters to the rafters, lobs from halfcourt, shoving refs, loudly arguing with the coach on national TV with Shaq dunking on guys and shoving them out of bounds then acting suprised when they get up and throw the ball at him. Meanwhile Kobe was in full "Turn my swag on" mode breaking ankles, jumping up and stealing lobs clearly thrown to Eddie Jones, and already disregarding Shaq now and then to go one on one despite shooting 42 and 43% his first 2 years. And Eddie? Im sure he didnt mean it to be insulting but some of the things he did were just rude. This guy came down the court on the break and took off from a step inside the 3 point line for a layup...which he made. Not the Ft line. He took off from about one step past the 3 point line and put it in. The **** is that? And then of course the famous dunk on Glen Robinson from the general area of the FT line. This guy was just getting in the vicinity of the paint and taking off with no regard for human life.

That was such a lovable team but they were also so easy to hate. They were good for the NBA though. Id swap out the current lakers for them in a second. Even knowing the 09 Lakers won it all I think the 98 Lakers would be better if only for Shaq. By potential....one night? They might be as talented as any team ever. That team had so many weapons...guys who could win the game on their own...I think they could matchup with any team ever...on one night. Over 7 games a great team destroys them but them at their best could play with anyone to ever step on the court.

If they were not the rudest most vicious team of all time...who was? The 80s Celtics were up there. They didnt care if you lived or died. Badboys of course. The 88-90 Knicks. mark Jackson had them at a high level of not giving a ****. But there are not many who can stand with this team from a lack of human decency standpoint.

NastaMaverick
08-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Awesome vid. That team was nasty.

Rashard
08-16-2009, 12:31 PM
That video brings back some great memories. One of my favorite Laker teams ever. I had graduated from SC in the summer of '97 and for a graduation gift my Pops got me season tickets to the Lakers for the upcoming season. I was lucky enough to see that group up close. What an incredibly entertaining team. As the OP stated, one of the most talented teams ever assembled. They just were young, arrogant and dumb. That's what held them back. I would have loved to have seen them grow together and to have been coached by Phil. They would have won multiple rings, IMO. That group brought back showtime. They didnt want to be known as showtime 2, so they called themselves the Lakeshow. Wow, the memories. Thanks for that vid.

catch24
08-16-2009, 12:35 PM
LOL. This team was sick as hell. I remember the forum going nuts for Eddie Jones ("Eddie, Eddie, Eddie!") and "Nick The Quick". I also recall arguments/tension, etc in the LA times with one player and Del Harris.

BeebCats
08-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Awesome video, song is great too. I love how you introduce the players with the verses, as if they're the ones rapping :D

Makes me wish I watched back then, shaq :eek:

Richie2k6
08-16-2009, 12:54 PM
1:00 damn! Nice video.

Eddie Jones used to be a raw man.

Rake2204
08-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Love the finger roll by Eddie Jones after taking off from about 18ft. away at 2:54. I hope he was beating the clock and didn't just randomly decide it'd be a good idea to take off a step inside the three point line. Actually, on second thought, maybe it'd be cooler that way.

OldSchoolBBall
08-16-2009, 01:44 PM

They didnt give a damn what the coach said, what the gameplan was, or what the fundamental play should be. You have Nick out there throwing floaters to the rafters, lobs from halfcourt, shoving refs, loudly arguing with the coach on national TV with Shaq dunking on guys and shoving them out of bounds then acting suprised when they get up and throw the ball at him. Meanwhile Kobe was in full "Turn my swag on" mode breaking ankles, jumping up and stealing lobs clearly thrown to Eddie Jones, and already disregarding Shaq now and then to go one on one despite shooting 42 and 43% his first 2 years. And Eddie? Im sure he didnt mean it to be insulting but some of the things he did were just rude. This guy came down the court on the break and took off from a step inside the 3 point line for a layup...which he made. Not the Ft line. He took off from about one step past the 3 point line and put it in. The **** is that? And then of course the famous dunk on Glen Robinson from the general area of the FT line. This guy was just getting in the vicinity of the paint and taking off with no regard for human life.

I laughed a few times while reading this paragraph. Good job. :oldlol: And good video (as usual).

Btw, that's a SIIIICK one-handed pass fake and then jam by Shaq at the 46 second mark. Never seen that one before. The fake sent Horry and Dream flying, giving him an easy lane. The '97 and '98 Lakers were an exciting ass team to watch. Explosive.

Toizumi
08-16-2009, 01:46 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kblaze8855 again.

too bad. you deserved it man. nice work :cheers:

tmnt mask
08-16-2009, 01:59 PM
who's #20 throwin an alley oop for kobe at 1:45?

Rashard
08-16-2009, 02:17 PM
who's #20 throwin an alley oop for kobe at 1:45?

Jon Barry

Positive
08-16-2009, 02:22 PM
nevermind i was wrong lol...

vincentda
08-16-2009, 02:32 PM
What's up Blaze. Awesome mix. you should of told me you were making this I got stacks of tapes on the them. You should of used the footage from my 97 lakers mix too.

Talent wise this Laker team, even with a young Kobe, was better than the championship Laker teams of the past decade and a couple of the Lakers on that roster agree with me.

UCLAlegend32
08-16-2009, 02:33 PM
heres a better video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ye_Zx6tsA&feature=player_profilepage

Kblaze8855
08-16-2009, 02:38 PM
heres a better video

I agree. The poster above you made it years ago and it is along with Art of War(also made by him) in my top 3-4 ever. Not wishing to compete with it is about half the reason it took this long for me to cover that team.

Kblaze8855
08-16-2009, 02:40 PM
What's up Blaze. Awesome mix. you should of told me you were making this I got stacks of tapes on the them.

Eddie was the only real problem. Hes never been shown as much as he should have. He, Terrell Brandon, and a few others are guys ive always wanted to cover but its hard finding enough on them.

Brandon Roy
08-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Nice video. Good song from a good album.

Video brought back alot of memories. The team was so hateable and lovable at the same time. Imagine if that team stayed intact with Phil Jackson as their head coach...

Brandon Roy
08-16-2009, 02:52 PM
What's up Blaze. Awesome mix. you should of told me you were making this I got stacks of tapes on the them. You should of used the footage from my 97 lakers mix too.

Talent wise this Laker team, even with a young Kobe, was better than the championship Laker teams of the past decade and a couple of the Lakers on that roster agree with me.

WHOA. Do you still make videos? I remember you were like the king of mixes a few years back. Good to see you around ISH.

AirJordan23
08-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I loved the late 90s lakers. Probably my favorite version of the Lakers. I just wish Magic had stuck around a bit longer but NVE and Ceballos didn't appreciate Magic joining the team since it reduced their minutes. Imagine Magic, Shaq, Kobe, Jones, Exel on the same team. Showtime. I wasn't a big fan of the Horry/Ceballos trade but realized it was good for both ends since neither seemed happy in their situations. NVE's pull up 3s, crossovers, floaters and clutch play were classic. Remember him hitting a fadeaway 3 at the buzzer against Boston back in '95. Kobe was all about showing himself off at that time. He had a ****load of hype, was doing 360s, tomahawks, windmills and he had a real nice crossover. Kobe's crossovers are pretty overlooked, IMO. He stopped doing them after 1998 or 99 when they started to call carries more often thanks to AI. Shaq was just flatout dominant. Dude toyed with Olajuwon in the '99 series. I remember Jones more for his defense. Dude was a very solid defender. Probably the best perimeter defender in the league after Jordan and Payton at that point. He had a knack for disappearing down the stretch. Good all around player, though.

Great video, btw.

lpublic_enemyl
08-16-2009, 03:25 PM
mad rrrrrespect manye nice vid lakers=****in insane

momo
08-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Wow, what a blast from the past! Freeking Ace. I loved that squad so much. They are a case in point lesson on talent and co operation in the L. And focus.

It is funny. If you mention the "Young and dumb" era lakers to a lakers fan, they know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

Check out the depth.

D Fish
J Berry
E Campbell
K Bryant
S Rooks
C Blount

All Bench players. Nutty.

andgar923
08-16-2009, 03:39 PM
NICK!!!!!!!!!!

I stole his entire game.... dude was a monster.:hammertime:

Clifton
08-16-2009, 04:19 PM
on my imaginary team of favorite players of all time NVE is the point guard. the guy was just so ILL. wasn't he? that's really the only word that describes him properly. it's like one day he realized, "holy ****, I can do absolutely whatever I want." there is no reason why I can't throw a lob from halfcourt. there is no reason why I have to wait for my teammates to get set if I'm open. there is no reason why I can't throw up some bull**** most guys feel weird about doing in practice. there is no reason why I can't use my body even though it's smaller than anyone else's on the court at this moment. I can do whatever I want, and I will.

that's something you hardly ever see. Gilbert Arenas is the closest thing to that that exists in the NBA right now, a guy who feels completely unbridled. But Gil doesn't have one-tenth the creativity that NVE did. NVE never scored the same way twice. (oh you know who's another guy like that? Sam Cassell. like NVE you really got the feeling he never practiced anything, just came out of the womb exactly as good as he was, and never took a defender seriously.)

I am almost never cool with guys who are only good in a vacuum and whose teams never go anywhere by virtue of their being on it. but I would make an exception for NVE. can you even imagine playing competitive pickup ball with him? it would either be... the most incredible thing ever, or incredible because it wouldn't be any different from what he did in the NBA.

L.Kizzle
08-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Damn, I gave my NVE jersey to some chick years back ...:banghead:

DuMa
08-16-2009, 04:26 PM
NVE was a player who had some definite swag. total confidence

andgar923
08-16-2009, 04:27 PM
on my imaginary team of favorite players of all time NVE is the point guard. the guy was just so ILL. wasn't he? that's really the only word that describes him properly. it's like one day he realized, "holy ****, I can do absolutely whatever I want." there is no reason why I can't throw a lob from halfcourt. there is no reason why I have to wait for my teammates to get set if I'm open. there is no reason why I can't throw up some bull**** most guys feel weird about doing in practice. there is no reason why I can't use my body even though it's smaller than anyone else's on the court at this moment. I can do whatever I want, and I will.

that's something you hardly ever see. Gilbert Arenas is the closest thing to that that exists in the NBA right now, a guy who feels completely unbridled. But Gil doesn't have one-tenth the creativity that NVE did. NVE never scored the same way twice. (oh you know who's another guy like that? Sam Cassell. like NVE you really got the feeling he never practiced anything, just came out of the womb exactly as good as he was, and never took a defender seriously.)

I am almost never cool with guys who are only good in a vacuum and whose teams never go anywhere by virtue of their being on it. but I would make an exception for NVE. can you even imagine playing competitive pickup ball with him? it would either be... the most incredible thing ever, or incredible because it wouldn't be any different from what he did in the NBA.

LOL

He's one of my fav players all time, there is no player today like him. Arenas.... ehh... not so sure, they have different styles and Arenas' game aint as fluid and smooth. Nick was like you said.... "ILL" no other way to describe it.... he's like a living DJ Premier beat... always raw, always sick, always unapologetic for his raw dopeness. There is no highlight vid on Youtube that does this man justice.

Which is why I adapted is game..... but be warned.... you need to have rhythm to play his style, without it its useless. It always did seem as if he was playing with headphones on, with a sick boom bap beat running through his body.
:bowdown: :bowdown:

Clifton
08-16-2009, 06:20 PM
It always did seem as if he was playing with headphones on
:oldlol: EXACTLY!

there is no player today like him. Arenas.... ehh... not so sure, they have different styles and Arenas' game aint as fluid and smooth.
no it's really not... all he does is shoot jumpshots and dive into defenders looking for a whistle. But the true hones to god fearlessness I think they both share.

ShaqAttack3234
08-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Shaq was a beast back then. I remember a lot of people back then asking who was better, Shaq or Jordan. And it wasn't a crazy question. Unfortunately Eddie Jones, Kobe and Nick Van Exel came up small in the playoffs.

KenneBell
08-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Shaq's swag was on a 100,000 trillion in that video. Just disrespectful. :roll:

L.Kizzle
08-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Wasn't Corey Blunt on those teams too ...

Raider007
08-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Awesome Video, Thanks:rockon:

DonDadda59
08-16-2009, 11:47 PM
slow, unathletic, midget team from a weak, watered down era... nothing special here.

Raider007
08-16-2009, 11:52 PM
slow, unathletic, midget team from a weak, watered down era... nothing special here.
I have an idea! Go one a christmas eve fishing trip with Scott Peterson next time you want excitment. :lol

juju151111
08-16-2009, 11:54 PM
LOL I love how LA fans say Shaq is fat and slow, but sHAQ WAS DOING spin moves/360 dunks int hte 90s. This is wat happen when you start watching BB in 03.

TryToBeUnbias
08-16-2009, 11:55 PM
LOL I love how LA fans say Shaq is fat and slow, but sHAQ WAS DOING spin moves/360 dunks int hte 90s. This is wat happen when you start watching BB in 03.
who exactly?

GP_20
08-16-2009, 11:59 PM
I love all the stupid comments in this thread. From top to bottom. What's worst, no one has laughed at this thread yet. Which kind of tells how sad things are getting, stupidity is the norm.

Here I'll laugh, not at the video, that was good, but at the thread
:oldlol:

Bigsmoke
08-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Kblaze knows his music :pimp:

LA_Showtime
08-17-2009, 12:07 AM

Uhhh... you make no sense... Shaq did come to camp out of shape but not during the '90s. He developed a weight problem after he won his second championship.

KenneBell
08-17-2009, 12:11 AM
LOL I love how LA fans say Shaq is fat and slow,
Prove it.

wang4three
08-17-2009, 12:13 AM
I spent a lot of my childhood years trying to be like Nick. The eye fakes, the ball fakes, pulling up from anywhere, floating it high up.. I loved that more than watching any dunk.

UCLAlegend32
08-17-2009, 12:23 AM
I spent a lot of my childhood years trying to be like Nick. The eye fakes, the ball fakes, pulling up from anywhere, floating it high up.. I loved that more than watching any dunk.

haha same here i would go on the school yard and when everyone would pick a player they wanna be on the court i would be nick the quick.

eliteballer
08-17-2009, 12:55 AM
If you want to see the perfect example of skill and smarts trumping athletic ability watch the Jazz wipe the floor with them in the 97 and 98 playoffs. Ugh.

rs98762001
08-17-2009, 01:31 AM
This team would always self-immolate in the playoffs, but damn they were awesome to watch. Shaq, Kobe and Eddie were athletic freaks back then. And Nick the Quick....great to see so much love for him here. He was my favorite Laker for years, that era belonged to him more than anything else, and it sort of summed up his career - so much potential, such flash and heart, but in the end a flame-out.

frmsea2okc
08-17-2009, 01:53 AM
nice vid:cheers:
best one i've seen on the site so far. shaq was UNSTOPABLE
eddie jones was ****in raw too.
LAKESHOW:hammertime:
kudos

kap
08-17-2009, 02:07 AM

:roll:

you're a great writer

UCLAlegend32
08-17-2009, 02:29 AM
the memories ive had with those laker teams, i remember watching their playoff game vs the jazz once at costco while my mom was shopping i got myself a chair and its costco so all the free samples u want.

Lebron23
08-17-2009, 02:36 AM
I thought the 1998 Los Angeles Lakers would advance in the NBA Finals because they had a very competitive starting 5, and 19 yrs.old Kobe Bryant was a great role player off the bench.

Chicago Bulls vs. Los Angeles Lakers = Dream Match.

:ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:

crisoner
08-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Gah damn.........

Bowing to KBlaze.........dogg that shi*t was off the chain brought back so many memories for myself. I'm copping a Baby Face Killer Laker jersey first thing I do. And damn....SHAQ!!!!!!!!! Dude was straight up nasty back then. This team just needed a good coach and experience to lead them....wait a minute....IT HAPPEN FROM 2000 - 02. LOL

But for real...I loved Van Axel and EJ was sad to see them go back in the day. Thanks for the vid KBlaze for real...I'm repping you evereytime I get the chance from now on. Much love....love that Crooked I track by the way. PERFECT!!!

Lakeshow for life!!! Peace!

momo
08-17-2009, 03:04 AM
Wasn't Corey Blunt on those teams too ...

Yes he was. He got a lot of dunks off shaq because Del Harris liked to bring Shaq across the lane, have a screen set under the basket, and post him on the other side after the catch. Often Corey would set the screen and both guys would stay on Shaq. Dr Dre would be right under the hoop, WIDE open...

This would happen at least once a game >-<

You would have to endure Stu Lantz saying "cant help off the post" every game :P

Quata
08-17-2009, 03:32 AM
repped- sick video. just wondering have you dont a mix of the badboy pistons, if not you mos def should!

Tking714
08-17-2009, 03:57 AM
This was the team that drew me into Basketball 12 years ago. My first basketball was a purple and gold one with a big #8 on it. Memories.

Kblaze8855
08-17-2009, 01:22 PM
I did a bad bos video like 6 years ago but it was awful. I'll have to do it right eventually.

Lo1a
08-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Damn.... sick video! That team was ruthless, just wild and crazy and didn't give a ****! Plays? What plays? :oldlol: Loved it!!

raptorfan_dr07
08-17-2009, 05:26 PM
I used to love Nick Van Exel as a kid. He just had this arrogance about him that made him likeable in a weird kind of way. I thought it was cool as sh*t how he would stand almost at the top of the circle when shooting his free throws. :oldlol: He's definitely one of my favorite players of all time.

vincentda
08-17-2009, 05:33 PM
I didn't know Nick Van Exel had so many fans.

Just curious, how do you think a "skills DVD" with NVE and Scottie Pippen (McDyess maybe) would be accepted and/or sell. I know it's an odd group but I have a good reason.

Let's not forget the exciting but much less successful 95 Lakers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlRvHx0ajZg

KenneBell
08-17-2009, 05:34 PM
What was Eddie thinking on that layup?:roll:

Clifton
08-17-2009, 05:44 PM
vd's 95 video... if I were 5 years older I would probably be a Laker fan to this day. You have NVE and Vlade, 2 of my top 5 players of all time, on the same TEAM. I wasn't around then. sucks.

chitownsfinest
08-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Love those teams as well, but they had too may problems to be a championship team. Eddie Jones was one of the best perimeter defenders in the league and could do it all, but was un-clutch as it gets and never showed up for the big moments. NVE still thought it was his team even when Shaq came in, and always wanted to the be the man. He also was a chucker and let his emotions get the best of him. Him getting trading was addition by subtraction. Kobe had the desire from day 1 but he played iso too much, wanted the attention a lot, and let his desire get the best of him often. His skills were really raw at that point. Shaq was not a great leader and couldn't will his teams to victory like he could in the early 2000s. He was still dominant though. Last but not least, Del Harris was a complete fu*king tool and had not control on the team at all. He couldn't call a play to save his life and he was a horrible defensive coach.

Fatal9
08-17-2009, 08:46 PM
This has to be one of your best mixes. Sick highlights.

Raider007
08-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Nick looked like a bug, flew like a bird, and could shoot like a porn star. lol

magnax1
08-17-2009, 08:50 PM
These are the years I started to truly hate the Lakers. Phil was the absoulute perfect coach for that team.

andgar923
08-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Every time I watch Nick play I get the urge to hoop, he's the only player that has ever had that effect on me.

Kblaze8855
08-18-2009, 01:13 AM
vd's 95 video... if I were 5 years older I would probably be a Laker fan to this day. You have NVE and Vlade, 2 of my top 5 players of all time, on the same TEAM. I wasn't around then. sucks.

vlade is another on the Eddie Jones, terrell brandon , and so on list of guys I can never find enough footage of. Vlade peaked in LA and Charlotte but everyone rememberes him as a King....

Kensta
08-18-2009, 01:39 AM
Awesome video. Man, young Shaq was unstoppable. That move on D-Rob was sick!

TryToBeUnbias
08-18-2009, 01:47 AM
idk how many times ive watched this..just brings back those good memories

too bad we didnt have phil around when that team assembled

hmm see if i cant re-created this team on 2k9

Cyclone112
08-18-2009, 02:09 AM
I'm a bit surprised at all the love that NVE is getting but I'm right with everyone. I just loved watching him jack deep threes like they were nothing especially in the clutch and the fact he took such deep free throws which always had me wondering if he was just that cocky or what.

I loved Dallas when it was Dirk, Finley, Nash and Nick. Man was that team ever fun to watch but I was always disappointed they couldn't have both Nash and Nick on the court at the same time.

I think it was when Nick was a Nugget but he scored like 54 points or something like that in three quarters but sat out the fourth. I can't really remember at all and the number could be way off but if anyone could find the boxscore for that it would be much appreciated.

vincentda
08-18-2009, 07:58 AM
vlade is another on the Eddie Jones, terrell brandon , and so on list of guys I can never find enough footage of. Vlade peaked in LA and Charlotte but everyone rememberes him as a King....

I was always looking for Terrell Brandon footage in the 90s. I have 2 basketball cards showing him dunking but never found footage of him doing so. That's why his name is never brought up in great dunker conversations although he's only 5'10 dunking in games.

Kblaze8855
08-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Im suprised NBA action didnt give hi ma holding court in 97. I have the entire season of episodes and hes given like 1 minute of footage total.

laronprofit9
06-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Shaq pushes Chris Dudley Down. LOL

Doranku
06-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Shaq pushing Dudley down after mashing on him may be the single greatest thing I have ever seen in a basketball game.

Van Exel shoving the ref is up there, too. :oldlol:

Alhazred
06-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Great mix, Kblaze. I was actually hoping for an LA-Chicago matchup in the 98 Finals, but then Utah killed any chance of that happening. It's a shame we never got to see MJ and Shaq go head to head in the Finals.

Shaq pushing Dudley down after mashing on him may be the single greatest thing I have ever seen in a basketball game.

:lol :cheers:

rfm767
06-10-2010, 06:22 PM
GREAT VIDEO, bavo.

ukballer
06-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Great mix. I didn't start watching the NBA until around the 02/03 season, so seeing how athletic Eddie Jones was when he was a Laker is a real eye-opener. My earliest personal memory of him is at Miami when obviously some of his athleticism had gone, so it's great to see vids like this give me more of of an insight into the prime of some players who I probably previously underrated, or simply never got to see.

Soothsayer
06-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Great mix! I subscribed.

Clifton
06-10-2010, 08:56 PM
It's so hard to think of Kblaze as another YouTube guy. Remember when he used to post these things and we'd all have to get external hard drives to hold them all and deal with those stupid download sites where you have to wait 40 seconds or whatever. And I would take them on planes and watch them for 5 hours straight. And now they're just on YouTube, with picture quality so-so.... lost amid millions of other hacks and their crappy mixes. Look here is a video of (pick a name) Kevin Garnett dunking 35 times. Cool.

ShaqAttack3234
06-10-2010, 09:01 PM
It's funny, but these were the years the Lakers actually had stacked teams yet they didn't win a title despite having much more talent top to bottom than the 3peat. The difference proved to be Phil Jackson who had a lot to do with Shaq achieving his potential as well as Kobe improving with age. Shaq became a much better defensive player under Jackson and he became better at making his teammates better. The 2000s Lakers finally had a supporting cast that didn't play subpar basketball in the playoffs. While Shaq had some good playoff moments, he also became a much better playoff performer after Jackson became coach.

The 2000s Lakers may have actually worked better because they didn't have a true 3rd scorer(well except Rice in the '00 regular season) because Shaq and Kobe were so good that having another guy take shots away may have made the duo less effective. Shaq and Kobe both did most of their damage with the ball, though Shaq scored quite a bit on offensive rebounds and lobs and Kobe has improved his off the ball play. When you have a duo that good, I guess being stacked with talent probably isn't the best, atleast it turned out that way for the Lakers. Their stacked teams constantly underachieved.

laronprofit9
06-10-2010, 09:05 PM
It's funny, but these were the years the Lakers actually had stacked teams yet they didn't win a title despite having much more talent top to bottom than the 3peat. The difference proved to be Phil Jackson who had a lot to do with Shaq achieving his potential as well as Kobe improving with age. Shaq became a much better defensive player under Jackson and he became better at making his teammates better. The 2000s Lakers finally had a supporting cast that didn't play subpar basketball in the playoffs. While Shaq had some good playoff moments, he also became a much better playoff performer after Jackson became coach.

The 2000s Lakers may have actually worked better because they didn't have a true 3rd scorer(well except Rice in the '00 regular season) because Shaq and Kobe were so good that having another guy take shots away may have made the duo less effective. Shaq and Kobe both did most of their damage with the ball, though Shaq scored quite a bit on offensive rebounds and lobs and Kobe has improved his off the ball play. When you have a duo that good, I guess being stacked with talent probably isn't the best, atleast it turned out that way for the Lakers. Their stacked teams constantly underachieved.

The Zen Master simply went ":no: Shaq do not push him down. :no: Kobe do not make an a$$ out of your self."

Del Harris was a f****ng Joke as a head coach.

ShaqAttack3234
06-10-2010, 09:28 PM
The Zen Master simply went ":no: Shaq do not push him down. :no: Kobe do not make an a$$ out of your self."

Del Harris was a f****ng Joke as a head coach.

Shaq said Phil came to him and said "you're going to have to make everyone better" and he said that was the first time a coach demanded he buy into their system like that.

Shaq's athleticism was incredible when he was younger. The first time I started to notice Shaq looking less explosive was 2002 when he was heavier and having the toe problems. Other than Dwight and maybe Robinson, Shaq was the most athletic center I've ever seen.

Celts34
06-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Nick Van Exel was my favorite non-allstar player in the 90's. He was so unorthodox, nasty handle, and quick as f*ck. I loved him early in his Laker days, not sure how much Del Harris, Magic, and Kurt Rambis felt. But I liked the guy

ShaqAttack3234
06-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Nick Van Exel was my favorite non-allstar player in the 90's. He was so unorthodox, nasty handle, and quick as f*ck. I loved him early in his Laker days, not sure how much Del Harris, Magic, and Kurt Rambis felt. But I liked the guy

Great player to watch, but the problem was subpar playoff performances and the lack of a winning attitude.

Quizno
06-10-2010, 10:31 PM
that video was ****ing sick. i miss prime athletic shaq so much, he was so fun to watch as a kid

nice mix man

unknown101
06-10-2010, 10:33 PM

My favorite part of this thread