PDA

View Full Version : dwight hitting jumpers

Rekindled
08-16-2009, 11:15 PM
http://img269.yfrog.com/i/h16.mp4/

AdditionalSucka
08-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Impressive but I'll reserve judgment until he does it in game.

BrilliantLegacy
08-16-2009, 11:18 PM
I highly doubt that he would use it in a game. Though he needs to get that FT percent to 70.

MrUnstopable
08-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Amare developed one.. It just takes confidence..

NuggetsFan
08-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Not bad. Hard to tell from a 5 minute youtube video how much he improved tho and when it's not even an ingame situation.

Would do alot for him if next year he showed up with a reliable jumper.

ElPigto
08-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Jumpers!?!? That's the last thing this fool should be working on. Freakin Patrick Ewing.

Seriously, the guy needs to work on his footwork and become a dominant low post presence. He has the power, the athleticism, and the drive to dominate this league, yet he is working on a freakin jump shot.

beasted86
08-16-2009, 11:27 PM
:applause:

If he even develops a somewhat okay jumper, where if you leave him open, he'll hit around 35% of them... atleast consistent as Okafor or Biedrins.... then watch out.

danumber88
08-16-2009, 11:32 PM
why go work on another dimension when you can work one one? Take it from shaq he didn't need jumpers to be dominant.

MrUnstopable
08-16-2009, 11:33 PM
:applause:

If he even develops a somewhat okay jumper, where if you leave him open, he'll hit around 35% of them... atleast consistent as Okafor or Biedrins.... then watch out.
This elpigto guy is dumb..

Tking714
08-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Lol I like when the kid strips him at 2:07.

clayton
08-16-2009, 11:37 PM
A skill that a center doesn't need! How about getting some better post moves first. That's like a guard-size player trying to learn inside post up moves.

MrUnstopable
08-16-2009, 11:40 PM
A skill that a center doesn't need! How about getting some better post moves first. That's like a guard-size player trying to learn inside post up moves.
Tim Duncan anyone? If he can shoot it will open up a lot of opportunities for his game..

ElPigto
08-16-2009, 11:41 PM
This elpigto guy is dumb..

Right. You think Shaq needed a jumper? Guy was overpowering everyone in the league.

Dwight is the best combination of physical gifts given to a center. He has power, he has athleticism, he has the IQ, he has the drive... why would he work on a jumper? The problem with developing a jumper is that you learn to fall in love with it.

What Dwight needs it's footwork. This foundation will let him dominate double and triple teams. He has the perfect team built around him. The Magic could be champions for the next several seasons. Unfortunately, I can't give them the nod over anyone yet because Dwight has several elements in his game that are still missing. They are essential for him being able to dominate this league completely. He can be the best player for a few years.

In this day and age, where this league is filled with some wimpy ass centers Dwight needs to take working on his footwork seriously.

DuMa
08-16-2009, 11:41 PM
i agree. he doesnt need to put too much emphasis on his jumpshot. he is a center. he is built for the paint and the low block. if he is shooting midrange to help his FT form then maybe it is for the better

ElPigto
08-16-2009, 11:43 PM
i agree. he doesnt need to put too much emphasis on his jumpshot. he is a center. he is built for the paint and the low block. if he is shooting midrange to help his FT form then maybe it is for the better

If he needs to improve on his free throws then the Magic should hire a free throw shooting coach who will improve his mechanics. He doesn't need to be the next Patrick Ewing but rather the next Shaq.

juju151111
08-16-2009, 11:44 PM
LOL at people saying he shouldn't practice shooting. This will open up his game. Go watch some prime tim Duncan guys and who says he isn't working on his Post moves??? This is just one vid.

AmoebaD
08-16-2009, 11:45 PM
good for dwight, its never a bad idea to diversify your game.. especially when you are so limited offensively.

i'm sure hes working on all types of other things, from ball handling to hours upon hours of work in the paint. that one dribble pull up off the pick and roll is something he should be working on anyway, if not with the jumper, at least with a little hook. regardless, hes the clearly the most dominant center in the league for a long time.

TryToBeUnbias
08-16-2009, 11:45 PM
hasn't he been working out with bynum on his jump shooting? I know bynum was working on his defense with howard as well

MrUnstopable
08-16-2009, 11:46 PM
If he needs to improve on his free throws then the Magic should hire a free throw shooting coach who will improve his mechanics. He doesn't need to be the next Patrick Ewing but rather the next Shaq.
:lol Shaq is a 300 pound phenomena.. Howard is a different kind of player.. he is an in between guy.. a jumper is exactly what he needs..

ElPigto
LOL at people saying he shouldn't practice shooting. This will open up his game. Go watch some prime tim Duncan guys and who says he isn't working on his Post moves??? This is just one vid.

Tim Duncan didn't he have the type of power that Dwight has. Dwight is very close to young Shaq.

He gets fouled constantly since now one can handle his power in this post. Shaq never needed a jumper and I doubt Dwight will need one.

ElPigto
:lol Shaq is a 300 pound phenomena.. Howard is a different kind of player.. he is an in between guy.. a jumper is exactly what he needs..

An in between guy? What the F does that even mean?

MrUnstopable
08-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Exactly.. dodo birds at work..

HeyIt'sMe
08-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Howard's always had a decent jump shot, he just doesn't have confidence in it in a game situation for whatever reason. His form isn't the prettiest in the world, but Shawn Marion, among others, have proven you can get away with a poor form if you keep practicing.

beasted86
08-16-2009, 11:48 PM
:oldlol: @ these clowns discouraging Howard from developing a jumper.

Maybe they never got to watch a prime David Robinson play. Robinson didn't have the best of foot work, but was (in my opinion) the most athletic center I was able to watch, and had a solid mid-range game.

plowking
08-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Yeah, the guys are right. This 5 minute workout of shooting jumpshots will completely ruin his career. He has now officially fallen in love with the jumpshot.

HOLLYWOOD
08-16-2009, 11:49 PM
I don't understand this. Dwight has the strength and size to dominate the low post. Why is he practicing jumpers when it is his post game needs work? He may develop an ok jumper, but if he had a good post game and was a semi decent free throw shooter he would be dominant.

MrUnstopable
08-16-2009, 11:50 PM
An in between guy? What the F does that even mean?
That although Howard is extremely strong he is not 300 pounds... think about it...

ElPigto
08-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Some of you all are such fools can't even have a descent discussion with yall.

Robinson also happened to have good footwork and could pass out of the post. Dwight has yet to develop these part of his game and he is going on his 6th season and only this season has his game resembled some sort of consistency from the post. Even then all his sh!t look robotic as if he didn't feel comfortable. If he were on my team I rather he work on his footwork. There is no reason he should be shooting jumpers when there is no one in this league that can contain him. He can get his way 10 ft in, why the hell should he work on a jumper. He should work on his horrendous footwork.

ElPigto
08-16-2009, 11:54 PM
That although Howard is extremely strong he is not 300 pounds... think about it...

He doesn't really have any great defensive centers that can stop him. He is a dam strong dude. He was drawing so many fouls this season. He was the league leader in free throws attempted. If he needs to work on his foul shot then hire a free throw shooting coach to work on his mechanics (which I would do if I were the Magic).

Dwight does not need a jump shot.

brantonli
08-16-2009, 11:56 PM
I don't see the point of him practicing jump shots. It will 'open up his game' but by how much? Even Yao Ming, who can easily shoot better than Dwight, only takes 1 or 2 of middle ranger jumpers per game. In fact early on in last season Adelman tried to use him like Brad Miller he failed miserably. Seriously, he can practice all he wants but it's not going to help him that much in-game.

gyu
08-16-2009, 11:59 PM
if i remember correctly, in scouting reports it said Dwight already had a decent jumpshot in high school.

IInvented
08-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Dwight Howard>>>>>>>>Shaquille O'Neil :confusedshrug:

ShaqAttack3234
Robinson also happened to have good footwork and could pass out of the post.

Robinson's footwork wasn't that great, in fact he did most of his damage facing the basket, shooting jumpers, driving to the basket and running the floor.

I agree that Dwight doesn't need a jumper. All he needs to do is refine his running hook and jump hook a bit as well as his spin move and then add a countermove as well as improve his passing. if he does that then he could be the best player in the league.

A jumper isn't bad for centers, Olajuwon, Ewing, Duncan and Robinson all had them. But the best jumper for a big man is a turnaround, that was Olajuwon's go to move and Ewing also had a great one.

I do think that a jumper could help, but it's not a necessity. Dwight does like to face up a lot and a decent jumper would make him the defender think a bit more about what Dwight is going to do.

Abraham Lincoln
I don't understand this. Dwight has the strength and size to dominate the low post. Why is he practicing jumpers when it is his post game needs work? He may develop an ok jumper, but if he had a good post game and was a semi decent free throw shooter he would be dominant.
Body balance is key, for his lower body and potence is not even close to what his upper body appearance would make it seem to be. No more gathering himself under the rim for dunks or being abused by Yao. He requires proper strength balance throughout his body and needs to play his natural position as a power forward. The league has discouraged post play for some years now, best be for him and the Orlando Magic office to play him as a power forward, being that he is 6'9.

MrUnstopable
08-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Body balance is key, for his lower body and potence is not even close to what his upper body appearance would make it seem to be. No more gathering himself under the rim for dunks or being abused by Yao. He requires proper strength balance throughout his body and needs to play his natural position as a power forward. The league has discouraged post play for some years now, best be for him and the Orlando Magic office to play him as a power forward, being that he is 6'9.
:lol As an 18 year old coming out of high school..

clayton
08-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Dwight Howard>>>>>>>>Shaquille O'Neil :confusedshrug:
He can't post up to save his life. Also, stop comparing Howard to the past greats. Most of them already have crazy inside game to begin with. Howard? Does dunking even count?

Abraham Lincoln
08-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Ok 6'10, due to inflation of shoe height.

MrUnstopable
08-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Ok 6'10, due to inflation of shoe height.
:lol No wrong again.. Howard is 6'11... He dwarfs a lot of big men..

ElPigto
08-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Robinson's footwork wasn't that great, in fact he did most of his damage facing the basket, shooting jumpers, driving to the basket and running the floor.

I agree that Dwight doesn't need a jumper. All he needs to do is refine his running hook and jump hook a bit as well as his spin move and then add a countermove as well as improve his passing. if he does that then he could be the best player in the league.

A jumper isn't bad for centers, Olajuwon, Ewing, Duncan and Robinson all had them. But the best jumper for a big man is a turnaround, that was Olajuwon's go to move and Ewing also had a great one.

I do think that a jumper could help, but it's not a necessity. Dwight does like to face up a lot and a decent jumper would make him the defender think a bit more about what Dwight is going to do.

I stand corrected on Robinson.

Going back to point though, Dwight is a beast physically. Does he have any real need for a jumper when he is stronger than the majority of his opponents? I'm not saying that Dwight will be better than Shaq by any means but my basis of comparison is that Dwight is a much more powerful guy than mostly every center in this league. Perhaps the only one he has been unable to truly conquer has been Yao, but other than that no one else would have a chance against him.

Timmy is on the downside of his career. Shaq is on his way out. Deke is no longer here. Yao is out for the season and probably will be retiring within a few years. No one has a chance against Dwight in this league. The only real threats seem to be Bynum and Oden; even then they seem to need a few more seasons.

Abraham Lincoln
08-17-2009, 12:08 AM
:lol No wrong again.. Howard is 6'11... He dwarfs a lot of big men..The wise man shall agree to disagree.

LutherHeadJob
08-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Yay Dwight is developing a jumper!

Maybe try a hook shot first.

MrUnstopable
08-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Why are there so many Houston fans in this thread?

ElPigto
08-17-2009, 12:13 AM

I personally love Dwight as a player and I'm hoping he becomes the next great center. This decade has seriously lacked the competition of great big men.

MrUnstopable
08-17-2009, 12:14 AM
I personally love Dwight as a player and I'm hoping he becomes the next great center. This decade has seriously lacked the competition of great big men.
No don't get me wrong I don't mind but I didn't know there were so many Houston fans :oldlol:

HeyIt'sMe
08-17-2009, 12:15 AM
The wise man shall agree to disagree.

Okafor measured nearly 6'9 without shoes out of college, and 6'10 with them on, and Howard is a good two inches taller than him now. Hes' definitely grown and is a legit 6'11.

LA_Showtime
08-17-2009, 12:15 AM
Why are people acting like Dwight Howard is all of a sudden trying to develop his outside game? He's practiced on this particular aspect of his game before, and he's even shown his range in games.

gyu
08-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Dwight Howard to Houston in 2012 :lol

gyu
08-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Why are people acting like Dwight Howard is all of a sudden trying to develop his outside game? He's practiced on this particular aspect of his game before, and he's even shown his range in games.
In High School, scouts already said he's got a reliable jumper.

ShaqAttack3234
08-17-2009, 12:17 AM
I stand corrected on Robinson.

Going back to point though, Dwight is a beast physically. Does he have any real need for a jumper when he is stronger than the majority of his opponents? I'm not saying that Dwight will be better than Shaq by any means but my basis of comparison is that Dwight is a much more powerful guy than mostly every center in this league. Perhaps the only one he has been unable to truly conquer has been Yao, but other than that no one else would have a chance against him.

Timmy is on the downside of his career. Shaq is on his way out. Deke is no longer here. Yao is out for the season and probably will be retiring within a few years. No one has a chance against Dwight in this league. The only real threats seem to be Bynum and Oden; even then they seem to need a few more seasons.

Good points, the league is wide open for Dwight. If Dwight just refined the moves he has, added a legit countermove and worked on his passing then that'd be enough. I agree that he doesn't need a jumper, but I think that considering how much he faces up a jumper would atleast make the defense think a bit more. I'm not convinced that he could make them on any kind of consistent basis in games though.

Abraham Lincoln
08-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Okafor measured nearly 6'9 without shoes out of college, and 6'10 with them on, and Howard is a good two inches taller than him now. Hes' definitely grown and is a legit 6'11.
Maybe, but the inconsitent league wide heights can be baffling. For Garnett is listed at 6'11 as well. Perhaps KG is a legit 7 footer.

http://i29.tinypic.com/2qk5ycw.jpg

Lebron23
08-17-2009, 12:20 AM
Dwight Howard to Houston in 2012 :lol

If the Rockets have the worst record in the 2010 NBA Season.

Rockets have a huge chance to draft 18 yrs.old Derrik Favors (6'9"), and 19 yrs.old (6'10") Greg Monroe next year.

MrUnstopable
08-17-2009, 12:20 AM
Maybe, but the inconsitent league wide heights can be baffling. For Garnett is listed at 6'11 as well. Perhaps KG is a legit 7 footer.

KG is over 7 foot.. everyone knows that he didn't want to be known as a 7 footer...

HeyIt'sMe
08-17-2009, 12:22 AM

KG is 7'1. He's always hated being considered a 7 footer, for whatever reason.

HighFlyer23
08-17-2009, 12:22 AM
wow I bet most NBA big men can hit those shots in practice ...

ElPigto
08-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Good points, the league is wide open for Dwight. If Dwight just refined the moves he has, added a legit countermove and worked on his passing then that'd be enough. I agree that he doesn't need a jumper, but I think that considering how much he faces up a jumper would atleast make the defense think a bit more. I'm not convinced that he could make them on any kind of consistent basis in games though.

I agree with your last statement, I'm not convinced myself.

I also consider that this team is built as an inside/outside team. They don't have a motion offense going therefore it's not as if there is need to create space for cutters or for people to drive the lane. This team is going to be give the ball to Dwight, let him work, lets see what happens. Like you said above, if he develops his passing game, he is going to be a wonderful player to watch for years to come. His countermove would set him aside from every other player in the league.

I guess I'm just in the belief that he has the physical tools to become what Shaq was in this league. Shaq knew how to finish a play. He had the athleticism, the power, the finesse to completely dominate his opponent. I think Dwight can become a similar player without ever needing to operate outside of 10 ft.

brantonli
08-17-2009, 12:26 AM

1. Dwight vs. Yao meant that more Rockets fans took notice of Howard
2. We are one of the few teams with a star center who actually uses a jumper as a main weapon in his arsenal.

ElPigto
08-17-2009, 12:27 AM
1. Dwight vs. Yao meant that more Rockets fans took notice of Howard
2. We are one of the few teams with a star center who actually uses a jumper as a main weapon in his arsenal.

I wish he'd use the hook shot much more often. It's a thing of beauty.

ShaqAttack3234
08-17-2009, 12:29 AM

Garnett was measured at 6'11" barefoot in 1995, but has reluctantly admitted to being 6'11 3/4" barefoot, some say he's even taller. Garnett supposedly was always afraid he'd be asked to play center or considered a center if he was listed at 7 feet. He wants to be known for his perimeter skills instead of known as a back to the basket player.

Here you can see that Garnett gets pissed off at Craig Sager for calling him 7 feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRIm4_yvocc

Bill Walton also hated the 7 foot label and requested to be listed at 6'11", but you can see from the Celtics 1986 picture that he's a lot taller than Kevin McHale and atleast Robert Parish's height.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nba/boston/1986Celtics.jpg

Bill Walton thought 7 feet was a freakish height so he hated being known as being a 7 footer, despite the fact that everyone knew he was one.

ShaqAttack3234
08-17-2009, 12:56 AM
I agree with your last statement, I'm not convinced myself.

I also consider that this team is built as an inside/outside team. They don't have a motion offense going therefore it's not as if there is need to create space for cutters or for people to drive the lane. This team is going to be give the ball to Dwight, let him work, lets see what happens. Like you said above, if he develops his passing game, he is going to be a wonderful player to watch for years to come. His countermove would set him aside from every other player in the league.

I guess I'm just in the belief that he has the physical tools to become what Shaq was in this league. Shaq knew how to finish a play. He had the athleticism, the power, the finesse to completely dominate his opponent. I think Dwight can become a similar player without ever needing to operate outside of 10 ft.

I'm not sure Dwight will ever be similar to Shaq. Shaq was a lot bigger and footwork, post moves and passing came more naturally to him. I think Dwight could be a better free throw shooter though. If Dwight even gets his free throws up to 65-70% which is certainly possible then that'll be a huge step for him as a player. People forget that Hakeem Olajuwon wasn't much better than Dwight at foul shooting his first few years and Tim Duncan has had some Dwight-type seasons at the free throw line. Becoming a respectable foul shooter may be even more important than improving his post moves because teams already have to foul him, and in the playoffs he was making them pay until the finals. We saw how good Orlando was vs Cleveland with Dwight shooting free throws at 70%.

Aside from the playoffs Dwight also showed potential to be a decent foul shooter his rookie season when he shot 67%. It's all mental for him.

Lebron23
08-17-2009, 01:07 AM
wow I bet most NBA big men can hit those shots in practice ...

Ben Wallace was a good 3 points shooter in practice.

G-train
08-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Dwight is 6'10 max. Probably 6'9 and a half.
Most NBA players can wet jumpers like that. He is working on his post game as well. Come game time he will play his role around the basket.

IInvented
08-17-2009, 01:21 AM
He can't post up to save his life. Also, stop comparing Howard to the past greats. Most of them already have crazy inside game to begin with. Howard? Does dunking even count?

It was a joke :hammerhead:

reppy
08-17-2009, 01:40 AM
Dwight needs to work on his jumper to open up the post for Marcin Gortat.

Burgz
08-17-2009, 01:57 AM
well im not crazy about it
but it is something he cant do
cant hate on him for working on it, at least he's working

Tking714
08-17-2009, 04:22 AM
Let him take all the jumpers he wants. Most of the greats had a jumper. Minus Shaq. Don't hate the guy for expanding his arsenal.

Human Error
08-17-2009, 08:08 AM
It's a shame that he decided to settle for jumpers instead of developing more automatic, more sound low post moves. A damn shame.

mmsupra
08-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Damn everyone needs to shut the hell up! Dwight is trying to expand his game and this is gonna make him even more dangerous period his ability's combined with a short jumper will make him impossible to stop and don't forget the that he has tons of weapons around him. He is my MVP next year and I said this 2 years ago, he is hungry and this is the first summer in 4 years he could work on his game! I am so ready for this year coming up I can't wait.:pimp:

1~Gibson~1
08-17-2009, 08:32 AM
i like his stroke, but none of those jumpers were contested. if they were, it was by a 6 footer :lol

1~Gibson~1
08-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Dwight needs to work on his jumper to open up the post for Marcin Gortat.
:oldlol:

MrUnstopable
08-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Damn everyone needs to shut the hell up! Dwight is trying to expand his game and this is gonna make him even more dangerous period his ability's combined with a short jumper will make him impossible to stop and don't forget the that he has tons of weapons around him. He is my MVP next year and I said this 2 years ago, he is hungry and this is the first summer in 4 years he could work on his game! I am so ready for this year coming up I can't wait.:pimp:
Thats what I am trying to understand.. how is a guy that averages 21 ppg adding a jump shot gonna hurt him? Do people even really think?! He might not add what you want but any addition to a guy that is limited offensively is welcomed...

MrUnstopable
08-17-2009, 09:10 AM
well im not crazy about it
but it is something he cant do
cant hate on him for working on it, at least he's working
Like this response.. this is what a logical NBA fan says..

Human Error
08-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Thats what I am trying to understand.. how is a guy that averages 21 ppg adding a jump shot gonna hurt him? Do people even really think?! He might not add what you want but any addition to a guy that is limited offensively is welcomed...
By adding a jump shot,

1) He will step outside more often on offensive, which means less opportunities for offensive boards and lower field goal percentage.

2) The Magic is filled with great jump shooters, if I were to draw a play to let one of them shoot a jumper, it won't be Dwight. And if you face the basket to shoot a jumper, it makes harder for you to find your wide open jump shooters.

3) No matter how hard he practices, he won't be able to use his jump shot in games. I don't care if he hit 5 consecutive uncontested jumpers in practice because Ben Wallace also used to hit 5 consecutive 3 pointers in practice. Majority of guys who're good shooters in NBA were already deadly entering the league, and I wouldn't be too scared of a jump shot of a guy who shoots 50% from the free throw line.

Human Error
08-17-2009, 10:20 AM
If Dwight is trying to expand his game, then fine. But a jump shot isn't his game, and I don't want to see him trying to develop himself into someone who just isn't. And no matter how hard he tries to master a jump shot, his jumper will pretty much be useless in the NBA.

MrUnstopable
08-17-2009, 10:23 AM
If Dwight is trying to expand his game, then fine. But a jump shot isn't his game, and I don't want to see him trying to develop himself into someone who just isn't. And no matter how hard he tries to master a jump shot, his jumper will pretty much be useless in the NBA.
How so? I am a Magic fan and I know that Howard on the pick and roll is sometimes not a good thing because when he catches the ball he can't shoot in those areas and gets offensive fouls when he would have expended less energy and saved a foul that he could have used on the defensive end, not to mention still has a chance to get the points....

MrUnstopable
08-17-2009, 10:25 AM
By adding a jump shot,

1) He will step outside more often on offensive, which means less opportunities for offensive boards and lower field goal percentage.

2) The Magic is filled with great jump shooters, if I were to draw a play to let one of them shoot a jumper, it won't be Dwight. And if you face the basket to shoot a jumper, it makes harder for you to find your wide open jump shooters.

3) No matter how hard he practices, he won't be able to use his jump shot in games. I don't care if he hit 5 consecutive uncontested jumpers in practice because Ben Wallace also used to hit 5 consecutive 3 pointers in practice. Majority of guys who're good shooters in NBA were already deadly entering the league, and I wouldn't be too scared of a jump shot of a guy who shoots 50% from the free throw line.
You are comparing 3 point shooting to mid range shooting which is so much more consistent then 3-point shooting.. do you play basketball?

Human Error
08-17-2009, 10:31 AM
How so? I am a Magic fan and I know that Howard on the pick and roll is sometimes not a good thing because when he catches the ball he can't shoot in those areas and gets offensive fouls when he would have expended less energy and saved a foul that he could have used on the defensive end, not to mention still has a chance to get the points....
If then he needs to get smarter in pick and rolls, rather than trying to develop a jumper. I'm pretty sure that his jumper will not ever be half as good as Tony Battie's. It's just something he can't do. You don't let Albert Pujols practice bunts.

Human Error
08-17-2009, 10:33 AM
You are comparing 3 point shooting to mid range shooting which is so much more consistent then 3-point shooting.. do you play basketball?
Huh, do you even play ball? They're both shooting, and fundamentally they aren't different, in most cases a good FT shooter is a good mid range shooter is a good long range shooter.

brantonli
08-17-2009, 10:39 AM

(I might be interpretating your post incorrectly)

If you mean that mid range shooting is more consistent than 3-point shooting, consider this, 3 point shooting is almost always the same distance, while mid-range shots are variables.

MrUnstopable
08-17-2009, 10:42 AM
(I might be interpretating your post incorrectly)

If you mean that mid range shooting is more consistent than 3-point shooting, consider this, 3 point shooting is almost always the same distance, while mid-range shots are variables.
That is exactly what I am saying but it gets more consistent the closer a player gets to the basket...

MrUnstopable
08-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Huh, do you even play ball? They're both shooting, and fundamentally they aren't different, in most cases a good FT shooter is a good mid range shooter is a good long range shooter.
He is not gonna be shooting 20 footers.. he will be adding a 14 footer.. also I have known plenty of big men that aren't good FT shooters yet still had a good mid range game.. and most importantly, didn't shoot threes.. So refer back to that statement and make corrections.. we are not dealing with guards we are dealing with big men..

liljohnnywall
08-17-2009, 10:52 AM
He is not gonna be shooting 20 footers.. he will be adding a 14 footer.. also I have known plenty of big men that aren't good FT shooters yet still had a good mid range game.. and most importantly, didn't shoot threes.. So refer back to that statement and make corrections.. we are not dealing with guards we are dealing with big men..

names?

Rockets(T-mac)
08-17-2009, 11:12 AM
He better be working on his post game more... because even if he gets a decent jumper, what's that going to open up? His mediocre post game? If he had a smooth post game and passing game, him and the Magic would be so much better. His post game should be his first priority.

I would just hate to see him fall in love with a jumper, though I doubt that happens.

liljohnnywall
08-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Howard just can't shoot. His whole form is wrong. He shoots out in front of him. John Wall should teach him how to shoot. Howard needs to fix his form if he ever wants to have a reliable jumper and ft shot.

work on some post moves.

visirale
08-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Hah, eveyone sees one youtube video and assumes Dwight is spending his whole summer taking jumpers.

Never mind the fact that he spent/is going to spend time with Hakeem Olajuwon to work on his footwork and post moves.

But I guess it's a testament that Howard is getting better by all the hate in the thread :).

juju151111
08-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Hah, eveyone sees one youtube video and assumes Dwight is spending his whole summer taking jumpers.

Never mind the fact that he spent/is going to spend time with Hakeem Olajuwon to work on his footwork and post moves.

But I guess it's a testament that Howard is getting better by all the hate in the thread :).
wait wat??? where the article of this at?:D

dbugz
08-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Good to see him practicing his jump shot and free throw.

RedZiggyZag
08-17-2009, 12:16 PM
If he couldn't make jumpers against 5'11 people consistently. What makes you think he could hit jumpers against 7 footers consistently? :confusedshrug:

MrUnstopable
08-17-2009, 12:58 PM
If he couldn't make jumpers against 5'11 people consistently. What makes you think he could hit jumpers against 7 footers consistently? :confusedshrug:
Who said he would be doing it over them? Pick and roll with Nelson or VC and he has a wide open jump shot.. the defense will give him that, and if he hits that consistently then Orlando's pick and roll becomes that much more dangerous...

RedZiggyZag
08-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Who said he would be doing it over them? Pick and roll with Nelson or VC and he has a wide open jump shot.. the defense will give him that, and if he hits that consistently then Orlando's pick and roll becomes that much more dangerous...
Your right, he was wide open against 5'11 guys far away from him and he still missed some of them. I'm sure a 7 footer closing out means absolutely nothing, I'm sure Dwight will make more shots that way. You know, because he's the GOAT. :rolleyes:

purple32gold
08-17-2009, 01:27 PM

lol i know, we get shown a 5 minute video of him shooting jumpshots and all of the sudden its "OMGZ HE'S SHOOTING TOO MANY J'S IT'LL RUIN HIS GAME WTF IS HE DOING OMGZZZZZZZZZ"
you people are never happy are you. most of you are the same ones that complained during the playoffs that he had no other moves other than to dunk and here he is putting in hard work trying to change it and all you wanna do is blah blah blah whine whine whine.

HighFlyer23
08-17-2009, 01:28 PM
wow fools are hating on him for expanding his game and get better, adding a jumpshot can only help his game and team ... especially with spacing and spreading the floor ...

MrUnstopable
08-17-2009, 01:31 PM
lol i know, we get shown a 5 minute video of him shooting jumpshots and all of the sudden its "OMGZ HE'S SHOOTING TOO MANY J'S IT'LL RUIN HIS GAME WTF IS HE DOING OMGZZZZZZZZZ"
you people are never happy are you. most of you are the same ones that complained during the playoffs that he had no other moves other than to dunk and here he is putting in hard work trying to change it and all you wanna do is blah blah blah whine whine whine.
Haters are gonna find reasons to hate no matter what..

ANBU21
08-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Howard already said he is going to work on his post game. It's better he works on different things than to just focus on one thing. And I would like a link to where he said Hakeem was gonna work with him. Never heard about that till now...

MrUnstopable
08-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Howard already said he is going to work on his post game. It's better he works on different things than to just focus on one thing. And I would like a link to where he said Hakeem was gonna work with him. Never heard about that till now...
Haven't heard that either..

Human Error
08-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Who are they? Shaq? Ben Wallace? Chuck Hayes? Joey Dorsey?

Man, you're one hell of a funny dude. :oldlol:

G-train
08-17-2009, 10:56 PM
names?
I dont side with Mrunstoppable... but Duncan, Camby and Odom are three big guys off the top of my head that can't shoot FT but can shoot midrange.

HeyIt'sMe
08-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Haven't heard that either..

He stated it during one of his live broadcasts. He could be lying, but why the heck would he?

visirale
08-18-2009, 12:00 AM
He stated it during one of his live broadcasts. He could be lying, but why the heck would he?
Yes, he said it on his Ustream a few weeks ago.

He's one of the faces of the NBA. It's in their best interest for Dwight to be as good as he can. I am sure they can make the proper introductions and arrangements for Dwight to be coached by whoever.

gyu
08-18-2009, 12:07 AM
wow fools are hating on him for expanding his game and get better, adding a jumpshot can only help his game and team ... especially with spacing and spreading the floor ...
I'm not hating nor do I mean to hate, but he should work on his post game before polishing a mid-range jumper. (which he already had coming out of High School so why are people still talking about this?!) Maybe that's why he is getting criticism from people on here.

Durantula35
08-18-2009, 12:29 AM
He's turning into the next Dirk Nowitzki. Oh noes!

Tking714
08-18-2009, 12:57 AM
He's turning into the next Dirk Nowitzki. Oh noes!

He's turning into an MVP? Is that Bad?

Lebron23
08-18-2009, 05:43 AM
Dwight should practice the Dream Shake of Hakeem, Bank Shot of Duncan, or the Sky hook of Jabbar, so that's he's going to be a very effective Center in his late 30's.

josh99
08-18-2009, 06:52 AM
Dwight should practice the Dream Shake of Hakeem, Bank Shot of Duncan, or the Sky hook of Jabbar, so that's he's going to be a very effective Center in his late 30's.
Yes, those moves would be good for him, but I think he needs to develop a move that is comfortable for him. He has already tried Timmy's bank shot and it didn't work for him. Don't worry though he has 6 years till he reaches thirty.

NotYetGreat
08-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Jumpers!?!? That's the last thing this fool should be working on. Freakin Patrick Ewing.

Seriously, the guy needs to work on his footwork and become a dominant low post presence. He has the power, the athleticism, and the drive to dominate this league, yet he is working on a freakin jump shot.

So? Would be hella useful in a lot of situations. I agree though that he should work on his footwork.

It's good he's been working on his shot. I'ma save my praise for when he uses it a real game though. He should also work on that hook he was able to use last season, though.

MrUnstopable
08-21-2009, 11:26 AM
So? Would be hella useful in a lot of situations. I agree though that he should work on his footwork.

It's good he's been working on his shot. I'ma save my praise for when he uses it a real game though. He should also work on that hook he was able to use last season, though.
nice post :rockon:

lilojmayo
08-21-2009, 11:39 AM
nice post :rockon:

Howard doesn't have a jump/set shot. I see a guy who can make them in practice with no defense on him even that he can't do consistently. He has absolutely no control over the ball when he shoots. He will be the same can't shoot howard as last year. He is terrible in the post. when there are big bodies to throw at him and teams actually are good at D and wants to play it ala Lakers they shut his offensive game down which is strictly just dunking the basketball. Which he is probably the best in the world as for big men.
The thing I can't stand the most is an NBA player that doesn't have a reliable jumper or a streaky shooter. How he is a consensus Top 5 player to me is mind boggling same goes with CP3

You ISH guys can have guys who can't shoot like Derrick Rose, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Dwayne Wade

I rather have players like O.J. Mayo, Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant, Gilbert Arenas

I usually stay away from NBA player threads and the hatorade stuff, but reading this thread just wants to make me scream out loud.

ISHs top 5 NBA Players Consensus-Wise

1. LeBron James
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Dwyane Wade
4. Dwight Howard
5. Chris Paul

The real top 5
1. Kobe Bryant
2. LeBron James
3. Carmelo Anthony
4. Dwyane Wade
5. O.J. Mayo

JD_TO
08-21-2009, 11:41 AM
When I went to a a Vince Carter celeb all star game a while back, I remeber sitting down and watching a guy rain down three's like crazy. Who was this gentleman? Stromile Swift practicing and game time are two very different things.

MrUnstopable
08-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Howard doesn't have a jump/set shot. I see a guy who can make them in practice with no defense on him even that he can't do consistently. He has absolutely no control over the ball when he shoots. He will be the same can't shoot howard as last year. He is terrible in the post. when there are big bodies to throw at him and teams actually are good at D and wants to play it ala Lakers they shut his offensive game down which is strictly just dunking the basketball. Which he is probably the best in the world as for big men.
The thing I can't stand the most is an NBA player that doesn't have a reliable jumper or a streaky shooter. How he is a consensus Top 5 player to me is mind boggling same goes with CP3

You ISH guys can have guys who can't shoot like Derrick Rose, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Dwayne Wade

I rather have players like O.J. Mayo, Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant, Gilbert Arenas

I usually stay away from NBA player threads and the hatorade stuff, but reading this thread just wants to make me scream out loud.

ISHs top 5 NBA Players Consensus-Wise

1. LeBron James
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Dwyane Wade
4. Dwight Howard
5. Chris Paul

The real top 5
1. Kobe Bryant
2. LeBron James
3. Carmelo Anthony
4. Dwyane Wade
5. O.J. Mayo
:lol

Take Your Lumps
07-15-2013, 04:14 PM
It's been 4 years since Dwight started expanding his game. Surely he's an offensive monster by now!

Am I right?

...Guys?

Fallen Angel
07-15-2013, 04:31 PM
So salty. lol

Horde of Temujin
07-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Always has been massively overrated. The man is a third tier center.

jzek
07-15-2013, 05:29 PM

Please name another third tier center with a similar resume:

http://i.imgur.com/WNnh3dt.png

Horde of Temujin
07-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Please name another third tier center with a similar resume:

http://i.imgur.com/WNnh3dt.png

Dikembe Mutumbo.

Nothing wrong with being third tier, its just laughable to hear him mentioned in same breath with the greats.

Current centers who are better than Dwight Howard:

Tim Duncan
Pau Gasol
Roy Hibbert
Al Horford
Joachim Noah
Marc Gasol
Dem. Cousins
Brook Lopez

kennethgriffin
07-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Dikembe Mutumbo.

Nothing wrong with being third tier, its just laughable to hear him mentioned in same breath with the greats.

Tim Duncan
Pau Gasol
Roy Hibbert
Al Horford
Joachim Noah
Marc Gasol
Dem. Cousins
Brook Lopez

i'm a long time shit talker of softy pau. but yes. pau gasol is better than howard

i'd rather have that spanish girl out there shooting jumpers all day than howard attempting a post move

COnDEMnED
07-15-2013, 06:07 PM
not one of those is better than Howard... Duncan is past his prime... im gonna admit they are better at specific things, Noah is a better passer, Hibbert has a better back to the basket game, Cousins is a better offensive player, etc... but but when you take everything into account, D12 is STILL the best center in the league.
Not one of those players are better than Howard.:cheers:

ShaqAttack3234
07-15-2013, 06:18 PM

Was he massively overrated in 2011 when he made a team of Jameer Nelson, Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu and Ryan Anderson a top 3-5 defensive team while averaging 23/14 on 59%?

Dikembe Mutumbo.

Mutombo never came close to averaging 20 ppg, much less topped it 4 times. He never led a team to the finals as the best player either.

Tim Duncan
Pau Gasol
Roy Hibbert
Al Horford
Joachim Noah
Marc Gasol
Dem. Cousins
Brook Lopez

Funny thing is this is based off of a down year for Dwight(and still incorrect) but anyway, Pau Gasol had a worse year than Dwight last year. And Cousins? :roll: