PDA

View Full Version : rules question: player saving ball going out of bounds

ghettoracer
08-23-2009, 12:04 PM
played some 5-5 today and this situation occurred: player saves ball from going out of bounds, and then steps out side. he comes back in bounds and becomes the first person to touch the ball.

i called that a violation citing it's illegal in college rules. i just tried to read through the NCAA rules and it seems to back me up. looking at NBA rules however i can't seem to find this rule.

by the NBA rules is it legal to do so or no? some said they saw several NBA players do such a thing during the NBA broadcasts.

thanks.

1~Gibson~1
08-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Larry Hughes once did it, but i think the announcer said he wasnt supposed to do it so IDK.

DatZNasty
08-23-2009, 12:24 PM
You can't touch the ball, go out of bounds, then come back in and be the first person to touch it again so no, it's not legal to make a save then come back in and touch the ball first.

TMT
08-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Yeah, it sounds pretty illegal as far as NBA/College rules. When it happens, you should just be able to tell that it's a violation.

Basically saving the ball to yourself shouldn't be allowed.

Myth
08-23-2009, 03:05 PM
I've never seen a league where that is legal.

LAClipsFan33
08-23-2009, 03:08 PM
It's like throwing up an airball and getting your own rebound before it touches anything or anybody else. They should call traveling on you I believe

KB2clutch
08-23-2009, 03:17 PM
tony parker did this once, he was chasing down the ball near the side line for a fast break, but his momentum pushed him outta bounds so he threw the ball ahead, regained balance outta bounds and came back in bounds to finish the play

Papaya Petee
08-23-2009, 03:20 PM
It's like throwing up an airball and getting your own rebound before it touches anything or anybody else. They should call traveling on you I believe

In AAU and Suburban you can grab it, you just can't dribble. I have no clue about High School or College or NBA.

InfiniteBaskets
08-23-2009, 03:24 PM

How about missing on purpose against the backboard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uza6aLnZO_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp8bV1lRZmk

LAClipsFan33
08-23-2009, 03:24 PM
In AAU and Suburban you can grab it, you just can't dribble. I have no clue about High School or College or NBA.

I've seen it called traveling in high school. Not sure about the NBA...

LAClipsFan33
08-23-2009, 03:25 PM
How about missing on purpose against the backboard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uza6aLnZO_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp8bV1lRZmk

That's a fair play. Even if you do it on purpose it's technically a missed shot

InfiniteBaskets
08-23-2009, 03:28 PM
That's a fair play. Even if you do it on purpose it's technically a missed shot

I know, I just find it odd that you can't throw the ball in the air as an air ball attempt to yourself, but you can off the backboard.

LAClipsFan33
08-23-2009, 03:34 PM
I know, I just find it odd that you can't throw the ball in the air as an air ball attempt to yourself, but you can off the backboard.

It would be a lot easier to cheat just randomly throwing it into the air. off the backboard you may not get it back. I'm thinking that's why it's ok

Nezty
08-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Once the ball was going out of bounds,I saved it and then grabbed it once it was in and my boy called it a self pass.I don't know

ghettoracer
08-23-2009, 10:35 PM
okay. so the consensus is that it is a violation in any league (high school, college, international, NBA). and the instances that occurred in NBA would be missed calls?

ghettoracer
08-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Once the ball was going out of bounds,I saved it and then grabbed it once it was in and my boy called it a self pass.I don't know

If you never step out of bounds I don't see why you can't touch the ball again.

brantonli
08-23-2009, 10:39 PM
I would have thought it was illegal as well (but then realised I've done exactly that on numerous occasions). I think it willl be hard to find video of it since most out of bounds occur in the front half where there are 9 other players hoping to get the ball.

Nezty
08-23-2009, 11:02 PM
If you never step out of bounds I don't see why you can't touch the ball again.

No I stepped out and came back in,Just like you said on your original post.

bk33
08-23-2009, 11:49 PM
actually you can catch your own airball if you catch it in the air and get rid of it before you land.

Nash-tastic
08-24-2009, 01:01 AM
OT: In Msia, playing half-court this is legal, if its full-court then its not