PDA

View Full Version : Better overall player: Mike Conley or Mario Chalmers

hawkfan
09-06-2009, 06:38 AM
Who is the better overall player: Mike Conley or Mario Chalmers?

I'll go with Chalmers.

beasted86
09-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Chalmers because it was his rookie season, and he was the 34th pick instead of 4th.

Human Error
09-06-2009, 07:32 AM
I think Conley is a better. Chalmers doesn't seem to have "it" to be a good floor general, he made way too many stupid plays even for a rookie. Chalmers just isn't a smart player.

beasted86
09-06-2009, 07:55 AM
I think Conley is a better. Chalmers doesn't seem to have "it" to be a good floor general, he made way too many stupid plays even for a rookie. Chalmers just isn't a smart player.

:wtf:

Chalmers didn't make excessive mistakes for a rookie. Thinking back, the only major mistakes he's made through the season was the shooting the 3pt shot while calling a timeout, and the turnover late in the Cleveland game. I think some Heat fans have become spoiled. His problem wasn't making mistakes what so ever.... it was dissapearing. He'd dissapear when Wade was being trapped late in the 4th, and wasn't able to make plays off of the isolation or pick & roll for other teammates consistently.

All in all, he played okay on ball defense, great weakside defense, didn't do alot of things out of his realm (try and take contested shots, fancy passes, etc..), and found his way through his rookie season as a solid contributor. I don't want to jump the gun, but I can almost guarantee Chalmers has a better second year than Conley did.

Human Error
09-06-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm just not that high on Chalmers. To me he's not more than a career backup. He can't handle the ball very well for an NBA point guard, isn't a great shooter, isn't athletic, lacks size, and is already 2 or 3 years older than his class peers. I as a Heat fan of course would like to get convinced otherwise, but I'm still mad that we didn't do anything to get Andre Miller.

beasted86
09-06-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm just not that high on Chalmers. To me he's not more than a career backup. He can't handle the ball very well for an NBA point guard, isn't a great shooter, isn't athletic, lacks size, and is already 2 or 3 years older than his class peers. I as a Heat fan of course would like to get convinced otherwise, but I'm still mad that we didn't do anything to get Andre Miller.

We don't need a 34yr old PG. He's a far worse shooter than Chalmers. Going into 2010 and beyond, hopefully with Wade, a more matured Beasley + another max free agent superstar... we don't need an old PG with an expiration date. He doesn't even run the offense as good as similar in age PGs like Nash & Kidd... he's more of a scorer.

And trust, I like Chalmers, but I'm not delusional. I currently have him slated as somewhere in the bottom 26-30 of starting PGs.... the issue is I have Conley probably 1 slot lower than him (along with Udrih, Ridnour, and Telfair in 08/09).

oballers4life
09-06-2009, 10:06 AM
mike conley was great the last month 1/2 of the season he was getting 20 points 5 rebounds and 5 assists or something......chalmers isnt really that good

Human Error
09-06-2009, 10:17 AM
We don't need a 34yr old PG. He's a far worse shooter than Chalmers. Going into 2010 and beyond, hopefully with Wade, a more matured Beasley + another max free agent superstar... we don't need an old PG with an expiration date. He doesn't even run the offense as good as similar in age PGs like Nash & Kidd... he's more of a scorer.

And trust, I like Chalmers, but I'm not delusional. I currently have him slated as somewhere in the bottom 26-30 of starting PGs.... the issue is I have Conley probably 1 slot lower than him (along with Udrih, Ridnour, and Telfair in 08/09).
Conley handles the ball better than Chalmers, and more importantly, he has better court vision. Chalmers at times still struggles to bring up the ball. Conley's early career so far has been a disappointment and I don't know who will end up being better between Chalmers and Conley, but if I'm offered Conley for Chalmers, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Yung D-Will
09-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Give me Mario Chalmers on my team any day of the week.

RedZiggyZag
09-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Chalmers is better now, but Conley has much more potential, in the past years he just had a bad coach and he couldn't fit into his system, he started to play a lot better when they replaced their coach mid-season, but I still think right now Chalmers is better. Better defender and shooter, Conley is the better playmaker though, but again I believe Conley will be better in the future.

Rekindled
09-06-2009, 02:00 PM
conley, he avearged almost 20 ppg

KoolKat
09-06-2009, 02:02 PM

When ?

bdreason
09-06-2009, 02:54 PM
I'll take Chalmers. Much better defender.

imdaman99
09-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Give me Mario Chalmers on my team any day of the week.
To what? Start over DWill? :lol

beasted86
09-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Conley handles the ball better than Chalmers, and more importantly, he has better court vision. Chalmers at times still struggles to bring up the ball. Conley's early career so far has been a disappointment and I don't know who will end up being better between Chalmers and Conley, but if I'm offered Conley for Chalmers, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Chalmers doesn't struggle bringing the ball up the floor, I think you're confusing Quinn with him. I don't recall him turning over the ball more than maybe once or twice all season including playoffs while bringing the ball up.

And Chalmers for Conley is about as lateral a move one can make. You don't trade the 26-28th worst starting PG for the 26-28th worst starting PG. I'd rather see what we have out of Chalmers in his second & third year while he's still on his less than $1M contract for the next 2 years, than have to pay Conley his $6.5M qualifying offer. If anything we'll see Chalmers is not the starting PG of the future, and just keep him as a super cheap backup.

HiphopRelated
09-06-2009, 03:53 PM
in the Matrix?

oballers4life
09-06-2009, 04:01 PM
When ?

at the end of the season last year

KoolKat
09-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Yeah, he had a couple of 20 pts game, and averaged 14.5 ppg and 5.6 apg after the All Star break.

mrhoopfan
09-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Conley.Chalmers is a good backup....I think his inability to take guys off the bounce bothers me as well as his play on the road

Dresta
09-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Chalmers, he's a better shooter + defender.

blacknapalm
09-09-2009, 06:10 PM
chalmers = less TO prone (less chaotic), better defender, better shooter
conley = quicker, better dribbler

i take chalmers

Kobe_6/8
07-21-2015, 10:50 AM
Conley.

Real14
07-21-2015, 10:50 AM
:oldlol:

Yoda