PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan First Athlete To $1 Billion?

andgar923
09-12-2009, 01:19 AM
Michael Jordan First Athlete To $1 Billion
Published: Friday, 11 Sep 2009 | 10:53 AM ET Text Size
By: Darren Rovell
Sports Business Reporter
There

Scoooter
09-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Nike's Jordan division clearing $1 billion in revenue doesn't mean Jordan's personal net worth is anywhere near that. What's his stake? His fortune took a big hit in that divorce a few years ago too...

crisoner
09-12-2009, 02:16 AM
Ummmm..

Magic Johnson already hit the Billion dollar mark a few years back I heard.

crisoner
09-12-2009, 02:17 AM
The Wealthiest Black Americans (Net Worth)

#1 – Oprah Winfrey – $2.7 billion
#2 – Tiger Woods – $600
#3. Robert Johnson – $550 million
#4. Michael Jordan – $525
#5 Earvin “Magic” Johnson, Jr. – $500 million
#6 William Henry Cosby, Jr. – $450 million
#7 Sheila Johnson – $400 million
#8 R. Donahue Peebles – $350 million
#9 Berry Gordy, Jr – $325 million
#10 Quintin Primo III – $300 million
#11 Don King – $290 million
#12 Janice Bryant Howroyd & family – $250 million
#13 Herman J. Russell – $200 million
#13 Ulysses Bridgeman, Jr. – $200 million
#15 Tracy Maitland – $150 million
#15 Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter – $150 million
#15 Alphonse Fletcher, Jr. – Net worth: $150 million
#18 Kobe Bryant – $140 million
#19 Shaquille O’Neal – $130 million
#20 Kenneth I. Chenault – $125 million

My bad...Tiger Woods...

Damn I didn't know Bill Cosby was that Rich though.

bdreason
09-12-2009, 03:31 AM
I think Magic is the richest NBA player, right?

We've done this thread before.

Myth
09-12-2009, 03:55 AM
[QUOTE=crisoner]The Wealthiest Black Americans (Net Worth)

the even bigger black guy
09-12-2009, 04:42 AM
He won't even be the first Michael athlete to reach it. Michael Schumacher has been a billionaire for a while. This is old news.

the even bigger black guy
09-12-2009, 04:43 AM
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/schumacher.html

momo
09-12-2009, 05:04 AM
[QUOTE=andgar923]...
The Jordan brand has a 10.8 percent share of the overall US shoe market, which makes it the second biggest brand in the country and more than twice the size of Adidas

twolvesfan
09-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Ummmm..

Magic Johnson already hit the Billion dollar mark a few years back I heard.
Jordan, magic, and woods arent anywhere close to being billionaires, at least according to forbes

Riker
09-12-2009, 12:41 PM
He won't even be the first Michael athlete to reach it. Michael Schumacher has been a billionaire for a while. This is old news.

But but but....didn't LeBron Jones said his ultimate goal is to become first billionaire athlete

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

lefthook00
09-12-2009, 12:50 PM
My bad...Tiger Woods...

That has to be an old list, Jay-Z is worth around 800 million now I believe, maybe more. 50 cent is over half a billion too. Puffy should be there too right?

A billi a billi a billi a billi...

Sanity
09-12-2009, 01:00 PM
But but but....didn't LeBron Jones said his ultimate goal is to become first billionaire athlete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WVE106JQoU

twolvesfan
09-12-2009, 01:58 PM
That has to be an old list, Jay-Z is worth around 800 million now I believe, maybe more. 50 cent is over half a billion too. Puffy should be there too right?

A billi a billi a billi a billi...
http://www.forbes.com/2009/05/06/richest-black-americans-busienss-billionaires-richest-black-americans_slide.html?thisSpeed=30000
i wouldnt say its an "old" list, it was published 4 months ago
tiger woods: 600 million

Golf prodigy showed off his putting skills on The Mike Douglas Show at age 2, has dominated the links ever since. Left Stanford University after two years at age 20 in 1996 to turn pro. Has since won 66 PGA tournaments, including 14 major championships. Now hunting Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 major career wins. Named PGA Player of the Year nine times. Total career winnings: $84 million. Intensely marketable; annual on-course winnings represent less than 15% of his income. Lucrative sponsorship contracts from Nike, Gatorade, Gillette, Accenture, AT&T and others earn him at least $100 million each year. Returned to competitive golf in February after rehabbing knee injury for eight months. Dramatically won the Arnold Palmer Invitational by one shot a few weeks later. Rare comment in 1995 on his ethnic background: "The various media have portrayed me as African-American and Asian. I am both."

michael jordan: 525 million

Arguably the greatest basketball player ever. Led the NBA's Chicago Bulls to six world championships during the 1990s. Left basketball for stint as a minor league baseball player after third NBA championship in 1993; returned to the Bulls two years later. Retired again 1999; took ownership stake and executive job with the Washington Wizards. Returned to the court in 2001; signed 2-year contract with Wizards. Total points scored: 32,292, ranking him third all-time. Released Air Jordan basketball sneaker with Nike in 1984. The Jordan brand brings in hundreds of millions of dollars each year in sales for Nike; royalty checks from that provide the bulk of former star's income today. Other lucrative deals throughout career: Gatorade, Hanes, Upper Deck. Owns stake in Robert Johnson's Charlotte Bobcats; runs team's basketball operations. Son Jeffrey plays basketball at the University of Illinois, younger son Marcus recently signed letter of commitment to play for University of Central Florida next fall.

magic johnson: 500 million

Grew up in Lansing, Mich., with nine brothers and sisters. Father worked at General Motors plant; mother was school custodian. Played at Michigan State; won national championship in 1979 in one of many legendary matchups against Larry Bird. Led Los Angeles Lakers to five world championships; 13-year career in NBA included three MVP awards, 12 NBA All-Star games, a gold medal at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics and induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. Retired from NBA after announcing he had contracted HIV, became an entrepreneur. Introduced well-known brands to ethnically diverse neighborhoods via Magic Johnson Enterprises. Today has partnerships with Starbucks, 24 Hour Fitness, T.G.I. Fridays, AMC Theatres. Also invests in urban real estate and companies catering to America's underserved markets via his Canyon-Johnson and Yucaipa-Johnson funds. Has awarded more than $1.1 million to community-based organizations that focus on HIV/AIDS education and prevention.

goldenryan
09-12-2009, 02:03 PM

he also said one of his goals is to win a championship too. :roll: :roll:

D-Rose
09-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Does this list include investments for current guys? Kobe and Shaq have made that much off one of their max contracts....does this include their endorsements and investments too? I mean obvisouly if you had 140 million in cash, even a simple mutual fund would make you crazy richer.....

BallersTalk
09-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Does this list include investments for current guys? Kobe and Shaq have made that much off one of their max contracts....does this include their endorsements and investments too? I mean obvisouly if you had 140 million in cash, even a simple mutual fund would make you crazy richer.....
Obviously it's not just salary/winnings. You think Tiger makes that much from just winning tournaments? 90% of his money comes from endorsements.

Fatal9
09-12-2009, 03:31 PM
You just know his groupies get off on the idea of him being a billionaire even though they won't see a single dime :oldlol:

goldenryan
09-12-2009, 03:35 PM
who cares. michael isn't going broke anytime soon or ever.

D-Rose
09-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Obviously it's not just salary/winnings. You think Tiger makes that much from just winning tournaments? 90% of his money comes from endorsements.
Shaq/Kobe though have more than that in their earnings and despite potential spending, their endorsements + investments should total to way more than 130-140 mill, especially Shaq.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
09-12-2009, 04:11 PM
It is hard to actually say what an athletes"official" net worth is because you just can't tell you just have to estimate with how much they are spending and making. MJ no doubt has earned way over a billion in his Jordans they are here to stay forever especialy because of his Retros, and now the fusions that are hot.
I know MJ had to givve up 130 million to his gold digger wife.

If MJ had the kind of salary they had today we could be looking at MJ having 2 billlion like Oprah winfrey. I am beginning seriously for the first 11 seasons of MJ career he made about 70 million dollars.

Floppy
09-12-2009, 04:16 PM
You just know his groupies get off on the idea of him being a billionaire even though they won't see a single dime :oldlol:

http://www.sneakerfiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/scottie-pippen-air-jordan-x.jpg

Lemon
09-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Lebron still can be the first black athelete to be a billionare.

Riker
09-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Lebron still can be the first black athelete to be a billionare.

Maybe he can narrow it down even more

Maybe he'll become first black basketball Cleveland based Akron billionaire?

Lebron23
09-12-2009, 08:59 PM
he also said one of his goals is to win a championship too. :roll: :roll:

Well

LeBron is only 24 yrs.old.

Shaq and Jordan won their first NBA titles when they were 28 yrs.old.

I am talking about guys who won an NBA title as the no.1 scoring option of their teams.

He is still young, and the 2010's is going to be the LeBron James Era cause all of the players that were drafted in the 1990's are getting older every year.

Batman
09-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Well

LeBron is only 24 yrs.old.

Shaq and Jordan won their first NBA titles when they were 28 yrs.old.

I am talking about guys who won an NBA title as the no.1 scoring option of their teams.

He is still young, and the 2010's is going to be the LeBron James Era cause all of the players that were drafted in the 1990's are getting older every year.

LeBron is entering his 7th season. MJ won his ring in his 7th season. If LeBron doesnt win it as a 25 year old he may never win it.

Lebron23
09-12-2009, 09:22 PM
LeBron is entering his 7th season. MJ won his ring in his 7th season. If LeBron doesnt win it as a 25 year old he may never win it.

He is already an NBA League MVP. His next step is to win an NBA Finals MVP because he already has a solid basketball resume.

Only reason that Kevin Garnett won an NBA Championship is because he played with Paul Pierce and Ray Allen, and the Celtics have a very good defensive assistant coach in Tom Thibedau.

Cavs, or LeBron's team in 2010 should be worry about the Blazers because Portland is going to be the New King of the West in the next decade.

Doctor Rivers
06-12-2014, 02:08 PM
Done: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/06/12/michael-jordan-is-a-billionaire-after-increasing-stake-in-hornets/

After subtracting all the cash Jordan has invested in the team, we estimate his net worth outside of the Hornets to be $600 million, giving him a net worth of a $1 billion.

AnaheimLakers24
06-12-2014, 02:13 PM
My bad...Tiger Woods...

how old is that shitty list? dre aint even on it

AnaheimLakers24
06-12-2014, 02:16 PM
oh someone just bumped an old ass thread

Rubio2Gasol
06-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Was Tiger a Billionare before the divorce?

Edit: nvm

Doctor Rivers
06-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Cavs, or LeBron's team in 2010 should be worry about the Blazers because Portland is going to be the New King of the West in the next decade.

:oldlol:

Roundball_Rock
06-12-2014, 04:37 PM
I believe Michael Schumacher was the first $1 billion athlete.

Flash31
06-12-2014, 05:15 PM
I believe Michael Schumacher was the first $1 billion athlete.

yeah

That man owns a Formula Team
and his last few years before retirement was getting paid
30 million Euros along with a percentage of the team

Michael Jordan isn't Worth a Billion Dollars now,come on
His Total Assets are worth a billion dollars

It's like Vince McMahon recently
The WWE Stock jumped to 30$ and he was worth up to 1.6 Billion
then it dropped and he's now worth about 850 Million

If Jordan sold the Bobcats,then sure he'll be a billionaire.

Doctor Rivers
06-28-2014, 02:03 AM
Wow!

inclinerator
06-28-2014, 02:09 AM
yeah

That man owns a Formula Team
and his last few years before retirement was getting paid
30 million Euros along with a percentage of the team

Michael Jordan isn't Worth a Billion Dollars now,come on
His Total Assets are worth a billion dollars

It's like Vince McMahon recently
The WWE Stock jumped to 30$ and he was worth up to 1.6 Billion
then it dropped and he's now worth about 850 Million

If Jordan sold the Bobcats,then sure he'll be a billionaire.

the bobcats will only keep rising, there's tons of rich ppl that want to buy a team that cant