PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo's take on MJ speech

dynasty1978
09-12-2009, 01:40 PM
[SPRINGFIELD, Mass.

hawkfan
09-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I liked Jordan going off on Krause. That clown deserved it.

D-Rose
09-12-2009, 01:46 PM
[QUOTE]

Toizumi
09-12-2009, 01:50 PM
it wasnt THAT bad though :confusedshrug: He got lost in talking bout how hard he worked and how competitive he was at some point.

It wasnt as classy as some other speeches, but MJ thinks (and maybe rightfully so) that he's the best player ever and sometimes he gets a little full of himself. He couldve/shouldve shown more respect to former teammates and opponents, instead of talking about HIS drive and passion for the game..
But hey, that's what he wanted to tell the world.

I'm not a hater and IMO MJ is GOAT, but he was always kinda arrogant and never the most likeable guy (he was the most marketable, but not the nicest).

DKLaker
09-12-2009, 01:54 PM
I was very shocked at how he lowered himself and ruined his induction moment. It was his version of "How does my Azz taste". It was not the time nor the place for that.....would've been better saved for a biography book.
I wonder what he was smoking or drinking before he went up there?

I really hope other guys learn from it.....what not to do.

Kevin_Garnett_5
09-12-2009, 02:08 PM
I liked Jordan going off on Krause. That clown deserved it. What'd he say? I think I missed that part.

gyu
09-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Anyone have the full video of the speech?

iounas
09-12-2009, 02:13 PM
I thought that start was great and then good until somewhere around the middle and than he just dragged it on with 2 or 3 unneeded stories and finished great..

He wanted some humor
But yeah what else could he talk about? Give some generic boring crap that we heard many times

iounas
09-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Anyone have the full video of the speech?
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/hall_of_fame/2009/09/11/nba_20090911_hof_jordan_speech.nba/

and on youtube if you search it

gyu
09-12-2009, 02:18 PM
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/hall_of_fame/2009/09/11/nba_20090911_hof_jordan_speech.nba/

and on youtube if you search it
Thanks, repped :cheers:

iamgine
09-12-2009, 02:19 PM
The Yahoo Sport guy got it right. I think a lot of people might lose respect for Jordan because of this.

I was watching it and think, "why the hell are these people clapping and laughing and pretend they are having fun?" He was doing so well for the first 5 minutes but the rest was pretty much a big ego trip. We now start to understand how great Scottie Pippen was to put up with such a guy for so long.

barbaroi
09-12-2009, 02:21 PM
It was definitely a bit odd how he went after everyone who ever slighted him up there. I mean they were recognizing him as one of, if not the, greatest who ever played. Sure it got a few laughs but it was petty as hell.

andgar923
09-12-2009, 02:23 PM
The Yahoo Sport guy got it right. I think a lot of people might lose respect for Jordan because of this.

I was watching it and think, "why the hell are these people clapping and laughing and pretend they are having fun?" He was doing so well for the first 5 minutes but the rest was pretty much a big ego trip. We now start to understand how great Scottie Pippen was to put up with such a guy for so long.
Isn't it more like....

Now we understand how great Scottie Pippen was, since MJ pushed him and challenged him for so long.

Because what we saw is, what made him tick as a person to become a great player and that same hunger is what willed and pushed others.... and they all talk about his drive making those around him better.

Shepseskaf
09-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Being "uncommon" is what set MJ apart and made him the GOAT.

Would anyone expect a humble speech from Ali in his heyday?

Da KO King
09-12-2009, 02:29 PM
There is a edited version on YouTube that makes it seem like an excellent though less than memorable speech. You'll probably start to see that more than the full speech.

andgar923
09-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Not to defend his speech (cuz I'm not.... I already posted my thoughts on it).
But he didn't know what to say, like he mentioned we know everything about him, so he wanted to let us know something that we might not know about him, what made him push himself. And I guess he got caught up in the moment and the fire began to burn once again as he started to recount his journey.

I think that it could've been handled differently. I think that if he wrote the speech and followed it, things would've been different, but that obviously wasn't the case.

Now.... to clear some things up.....

He DID thank some people.
He was gracious in some moments.

But I guess most of that got overshadowed by his stories of vindication.

Heilige
09-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Hey andgar,

I remember in reading MJ books, he would mention how his motivation was always about him wanting to be the best he could be and never really wanting to prove people wrong. So I was surprised when he told all of the reasons for what really motivated him. How did you feel regarding that? I mean did you already know those things are what motivated him?

D-Rose
09-12-2009, 02:41 PM
If Kobe gets up there one day and said even some of the same stuff, I guarantee you guys would be ripping him into pieces.

BallersTalk
09-12-2009, 02:44 PM
If Kobe gets up there one day and said even some of the same stuff, I guarantee you guys would be ripping him into pieces.
How original mentioning Kobe in a Jordan thread. Do you think about any other player BUT Kobe?
The reason Jordan gets away with things is cause he's Jordan. He earned everything from start to finish when nobody gave it to him easy. Kobe was a pampered prima donna that got everything he wanted from birth. You can't sympathize with Kobe cause he just looks like a spoiled brat.

Shih508
09-12-2009, 02:45 PM
How original mentioning Kobe in a Jordan thread. Do you think about any other player BUT Kobe?
The reason Jordan gets away with things is cause he's Jordan. He earned everything from start to finish when nobody gave it to him easy. Kobe was a pampered prima donna that got everything he wanted from birth. You can't sympathize with Kobe cause he just looks like a spoiled brat.

100% agree

Da KO King
09-12-2009, 02:46 PM
I listened to the full speech just now. I think it was less about being vindictive and more about a guy who was ALWAYS a calculated speaker having to talk from his heart about the greatest achievement and highest recognition one in his field can receive. It wasn't as bad as it is made to be.

People hoped for more based on who he is.

D-Rose
09-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Yes quite original indeed.

HylianNightmare
bah it was alright kinda what i expected

Shepseskaf
That's correct... and its because Kobe isn't the GOAT. When you're the GOAT you've earned the right to say whatever you want.

andgar923
09-12-2009, 02:48 PM

Well that's because he's not MJ.

Just how Barkley can say the most foul offensive things and get away with it, and if Iverson said the same thing he'd be killed for it.

Kobe fans should just deal with it.

BallersTalk
09-12-2009, 02:49 PM
That's correct... and its because Kobe isn't the GOAT. When you're the GOAT you've earned the right to say whatever you want.
This is a fact that Kobe homers will never understand. But what hurts them most is that Kobe is just not as good as MJ and never can or will be.

D-Rose
09-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Kareem was every bit as good as Jordan, he wasn't going off like that I'm sure.

Jordan just took it too far last night IMO, just seemed so obsessed with himself. No you can't say whatever you want because of who you are,you should respect the game and fellow players.

The quote from the article really summed it all up for me.

BallersTalk
09-12-2009, 02:52 PM

Jordan just took it too far last night IMO, just seemed so obsessed with himself. No you can't say whatever you want because of who you are,you should respect the game and fellow players.

The quote from the article really summed it all up for me.
You weren't comparing Kareem and Jordan. You were comparing Kobe (cause you can never help yourself) to Jordan. And Kobe is not close to being as good or as respected as Jordan. And mentioning him in the same sentence is just disrespectful not to mention annoying. It's like constantly comparing Kerry Kittles to Kobe.

Heilige
09-12-2009, 02:52 PM

So Kobe hasn't had to work for anything? Given his work ethic, I don't know how you could say that. Usually spoiled people are lazy.

BallersTalk
09-12-2009, 02:57 PM
So Kobe hasn't had to work for anything? Given his work ethic, I don't know how you could say that. Usually spoiled people are lazy.
That's not true. Not all spoiled people are lazy. Kobe came into the league with a feeling of self-entitlement. His road wasn't as hard as Jordan's. There was a giant roadblock at every stop for MJ. But for Kobe, there were giant automatically-opening doorways for him to walk through. I'm not saying Kobe didn't work as hard or wasn't as dedicated. I'm saying that his road was easier. I mean you can't find ONE roadblock in Kobe's entire career that he didn't bring upon himself.

macpierce
09-12-2009, 02:59 PM

yeah kobe is a spoiled brat that didnt work for anything considering he has the best work ethic in the league today and is one of the greatest players of all time youre really smart

OneMoreSucka
09-12-2009, 03:01 PM
I actually liked his speech but I'm an ******* and a piece of **** so it's only natural.

Shepseskaf
09-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Bad comparison. Though I agree that skill-wise Kareem and MJ were the best to ever play the game, their personalities are completely different. Kareem has always been coolly aloof, while MJ wears his aggression on his sleeve.

catch24
09-12-2009, 03:03 PM
That yahoo guy is a yahoo.. There's nothing in this speech that resembles what he was accusing MJ of. I don't see this as being petty at all, he's just explaining who motivated him throughout his career. Jordan has been nothing but a class act his whole career & he's merely telling it how it is. He is the Greatest basketball player EVER, so why can't he explain how he did it. Is that too much for some people to handle? I found it very interesting & entertaining.

A comment I can agree with

97 bulls
09-12-2009, 03:07 PM
once he jabbed krause it bacame the G.O.A.T. speach. and he did kinda upstage everybody that stood in front of him.

dr8ked
09-12-2009, 03:12 PM
once he jabbed krause it bacame the G.O.A.T. speach. and he did kinda upstage everybody that stood in front of him.

Jerry krause is full of ****. anyone defending him is lying to himself period.

SleepyCorpse
09-12-2009, 03:16 PM
seriously its alot better than MJ throwing "both teams played hard" BS our way.

bhallic24
09-12-2009, 03:27 PM
seriously its alot better than MJ throwing "both teams played hard" BS our way.

Can't say I liked Mj's speech. In fact I think Stocktons and Coach Sloan's were far better and funnier than his. For a man with such majestic accomplishments I expected a far far better speech. The ending was good, liked that. The begining was good. But the middle and the meat of his speech was soo dissapointing, I almost turned off the TV set. I mean he prefacced his speech by saying there wasn't a lot that people didn't know about him and then lead wway into a 20 min talk about how he is more competitive than this guy and that guy. But it was boring and after the 2nd story I think we all got his point already but he had to tell 7 more of the same exact stories. I'd give it a 65/100. Stockton's was probably a 88/100. His part where he had to make a comment about every one of his kids was boring.

Fatal9
09-12-2009, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE]

Bodhi
09-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Jerry krause is full of ****. anyone defending him is lying to himself period.

:rolleyes: Jordan needed Krause to win a championship. If he had a GM that wasn't a complete jerk who ignored everything that Jordan wanted then Jordan never would have won. Remember, Jordan didn't want Pippen or Kukoc on his team. If he had a GM who listened to him, Jordan would have never been surrounded with the talent he had.

Killer_Instinct
09-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Not Jordan!

:oldlol:

iounas
09-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Quote:
That yahoo guy is a yahoo.. There's nothing in this speech that resembles what he was accusing MJ of. I don't see this as being petty at all, he's just explaining who motivated him throughout his career. Jordan has been nothing but a class act his whole career & he's merely telling it how it is. He is the Greatest basketball player EVER, so why can't he explain how he did it. Is that too much for some people to handle? I found it very interesting & entertaining.

A comment I can agree with
Yeah pretty much... some people are over-analyzing everything he said..
He was being humorous in some and reminiscing in other parts..
And his extreme competitiveness is what got him to the top in the first place.

There is a quote: "Your gonna have to cut his heart out to beat him"

raptorfan_dr07
09-12-2009, 03:37 PM
And I guess he got caught up in the moment and the fire began to burn once again as he started to recount his journey.

That's kinda what I got too. Overall, I loved the speech. It had me rolling in laughter. I found some of the stories to be interesting. Just like he said, stuff we may not have known about him. That Bryon Russell story had me cracking up. That look on John Stockton's face was priceless.

Basically, he can say whatever the hell he wants. He's earned that right, being widely regarded as the GOAT. One thing I love about him is he never fails to give credit to others. I don't think I've ever heard him mention his championships without mentioning Scottie Pippen. He never takes full credit for any of their rings. Like he said, in all the videos, every championship he's won, we saw Scottie Pippen. I would have liked to see him give a bit more recognition to the rest of the guys(Rodman, Kukoc, Harper, etc.), but he got a bit caught up in the moment with the competitive side. They definitely saved the best for last.

phoenix18
09-12-2009, 03:40 PM
I actually liked his speech but I'm an ******* and a piece of **** so it's only natural.
This. Jordan is just being real. Why you guys like everything to be edited, proofread and delivered with a smile, I will have no idea. That's just jordan.

Pharcyde
09-12-2009, 03:41 PM

No they won't.

catch24
09-12-2009, 03:44 PM
This. Jordan is just being real. Why you guys like everything to be edited, proofread and delivered with a smile, I will have no idea. That's just jordan.

The people upset have probably never played basketball - a little trash talking and you get lames pooping themselves? They fail to realize MJ was cocky/funny but as I stated earlier, dude was just being REAL. I guess referring to himself as "NOT GOAT" is arrogant :oldlol:

Allstar24
09-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Wow...I have new-found respect for his teammates.

Showtime
09-12-2009, 03:45 PM
"No one ever feels sorry for Isiah Thomas, but Jordan tsk-tsked him and George Gervin and Magic Johnson for the 1985 All-Star game “freeze-out.” Jordan was a rookie, and the older stars decided to isolate him. It was a long time ago, and he obliterated them all for six NBA championships and five MVP trophies. Isiah and the Ice Man looked stunned, as intimidated 50 feet from the stage, as they might have been on the basketball court."

Did Wojnarowski even see the same speech? MJ clearly said he didn't believe they intentionally did it, but that even if they did, it added to his competitive fire. Let's face it, MJ is not that eloquent, but that's what he was trying to get across. He tried the same thing when referencing Bird and Magic.

But aside from that point, he was right. MJ was really petty, and arrogant. But anybody who watched his career knew this. It's no different. He is who he is, an ego maniac who wanted everybody to know he was better, even if it means flying the guy out who got his spot on the high school team to rub it in his face.

catch24
09-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Wow...I have new-found respect for his teammates.

I bet Pipp/Kukoc/Rodman all feel the same way, except for the #1 option.

phoenix18
09-12-2009, 03:51 PM
I bet Pipp/Kukoc/Rodman all feel the same way, except for the #1 option.
To add on to this, how would you feel bad for rodman? Wasnt he the one kicking cameramen on the baseline? Seriously, all of us know that guy with an ego.

Heilige
09-12-2009, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=Showtime]"No one ever feels sorry for Isiah Thomas, but Jordan tsk-tsked him and George Gervin and Magic Johnson for the 1985 All-Star game

imdaman99
09-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Hey BallersTalk you fool. I knew anyone that mentioned Kobe in this thread would be the first person you would reply to. What a tool, you got Kobe on your mind 24/7. I guess the Yahoo guy who wrote this must be on Kobe's nuts, am I reading that correctly?

Hey Andgar and Donny, the yahoo guy is a Kobe stan right? That is why he wrote the article. I swear these dudes think that anyone who says anything negative about MJ is a Kobe stan. Grow up kids. Act your supposed ages.

Showtime
09-12-2009, 04:47 PM
I remember Loki/OldSchoolBBall saying Jordan didn't care about being better than others and that wasn't his motivation. He said that Jordan only cared about being the best that he could be.
Being the best he could be = wanting to be the best...period. He wanted to be better than everybody else. And he wanted you to know it. It's who MJ was as a player and a person, which was one of the reasons I didn't like him when he was playing. But it was also the reason why he was so great, because he was arguably the hardest working player ever.

Cyclone112
09-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Is the 23 minute video on NBA.com the full speech because if it is it really isn't nearly as bad as what I was expecting reading everyone's comments. Was that video edited down or something?

dyna
09-12-2009, 04:48 PM
I think it was great!!!

:confusedshrug:

BULLZ
09-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah, he was a good player.

Riker
09-12-2009, 04:49 PM
:rolleyes: Jordan needed Krause to win a championship. If he had a GM that wasn't a complete jerk who ignored everything that Jordan wanted then Jordan never would have won. Remember, Jordan didn't want Pippen or Kukoc on his team. If he had a GM who listened to him, Jordan would have never been surrounded with the talent he had.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

That's right dweeb. Jordan didn't want Kukoc or Pippen?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :applause: :applause:

Jordan stopped the Kemp Pippen trade and McGrady Pippen trade.

You Kobe/Bron fanatics will try to fabricate any ole **** just to try and jab MJ in any possible way.

Krause was a jerk, he dismantled the team and he was a cheap bastard who never paid Pippen what he deserved.

You can shove your half assed information up your ass.

andgar923
09-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Hey BallersTalk you fool. I knew anyone that mentioned Kobe in this thread would be the first person you would reply to. What a tool, you got Kobe on your mind 24/7. I guess the Yahoo guy who wrote this must be on Kobe's nuts, am I reading that correctly?

Hey Andgar and Donny, the yahoo guy is a Kobe stan right? That is why he wrote the article. I swear these dudes think that anyone who says anything negative about MJ is a Kobe stan. Grow up kids. Act your supposed ages.

Why are you even bringing up my name? LOL

And if I ever accuse anybody at being a Kobe stan, its because 99% of the time they're either a big Kobe fan or Kobe stan!

They're the main ones that predominantly have anything negative to say about ANYBODY not named Kobe Bean Bryant, specially MJ.

Heilige
09-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Being the best he could be = wanting to be the best...period. He wanted to be better than everybody else. And he wanted you to know it. It's who MJ was as a player and a person, which was one of the reasons I didn't like him when he was playing. But it was also the reason why he was so great, because he was arguably the hardest working player ever.

Actually, I agree with your point. :cheers:

I just thought it was weird Loki/OldSchoolBBall would try to say something like that because he is probably the biggest Jordan fan here. He said one of the reasons he dislikes Kobe is because Kobe has the desire to be the best ever. Well, that is the same desire Jordan has, yet he likes him. That is what is confusing about it? Now, Kobe is not the best nor will he ever be, but just the simple fact that he wants to be; there is nothing wrong with him attempting to be. Just like there was nothing wrong with Jordan's motivation to be the best ever.

Indeed, that is the main reason Kobe and Jordan are among my favorite players. I wish more players had that work ethic and desire to be the best ever they had.

Maybe Loki/OldSchoolBBall can clarify his comments/thoughts if I was wrong?

Riker
09-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Only soft ass pansies feel uncomfortable watching Jordan's speech.

He went up there and gave you 100% no bull insight in his mind.

You don't like it? Well good. You feel uncomfortable when someone is that obsessed with competition in sport that he singlehandedly transcended?

That's why that 4-eyed wuss writer typing his sorrow away to generate buzz for his column felt offended by MJ's attitude.

That's why Jordan is Jordan and that columnist schmuck is and will always will be that same columnist schmuck.

dak121
09-12-2009, 05:01 PM
**** Reinsdorf and **** Krause.

oh the horror
09-12-2009, 05:03 PM

You don't like it? Well good. You feel uncomfortable when someone is that obsessed with competition in sport that he singlehandedly transcended?

That's why that 4-eyed wuss writer typing his sorrow away to generate buzz for his column felt offended by MJ's attitude.

That's why Jordan is Jordan and that columnist schmuck is and will always will be that same columnist schmuck.

I gotta say I agree with this. Understanding why Michael Jordan became Michael Jordan comes hand in hand with the attitude that Mike takes on, everyday, and all day.

To this day, and even when Mike is 70 years old, im sure you could challenge him to a game of ball.....talk a little trash to him just to see if hes "still got it"...and Mike PROBABLY will try to play you, and will PROBABLY try to bring it too. THATS MIKE. Thats BEEN Mike for YEARSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

So to sit here and now, and expect some gracious, humble speech from MICHAEL JORDAN? You FAIL at understanding WHAT EXACTLY made this man the GREATEST OF ALL TIME.

And thats what it is.....its either in you, or it isnt in you.

Mike is ON, 24/7 and 365....and thats why he is, who he is, and it got him to be where he is.

Heilige
09-12-2009, 05:03 PM

Some schmuck :ohwell:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-jordanhalloffame040609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

iounas
09-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Is the 23 minute video on NBA.com the full speech because if it is it really isn't nearly as bad as what I was expecting reading everyone's comments. Was that video edited down or something?

Lol, I thought I was reading my own post

Is the 23min speech on NBA.com the whole thing because I didnt see anything wrong with the speech as some are saying.. He talks about what drived him to improve and stuff.

And yes it is full and people expected goat speech from the goat.

InspiredLebowski
09-12-2009, 05:08 PM
People are just realizing MJ's a cocky, arrogant, dickhead?

Riker
09-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Mike is ON, 24/7 and 365....and thats why he is, who he is, and it got him to be where he is.

But people probably expected something like

"Hello, I'm so grateful to be here, it means a lot to me, first of all - I would like to thank GOD..." type of speech.

I think Jordan has the side of him that very few people are comfortable with. Let me try to resume it;

- He obviously NEVER forgets anything
- He obviously NEVER keeps his opinion to himself

I guess people are more comfortable with con relationships, and the "tell me what I want to hear".

Isaiah and all those he "called out" felt uncomfortable because Jordan spoke THE TRUTH - and they feel embarrassed now.

Because freezing him out was a ***** move.

People are very uncomfortable for MJ being 100% brutally honest, because not only he stayed true to himself all the way, he surpassed his nemesis' along the way and yesterday he stood in front of them and just....told it like it is.

Too bad he didn't go with the "both teams played hard, and I would like to thank the lord and my fans" speech.

Riker
09-12-2009, 05:11 PM

98 ECF still burns :roll:

phoenix18
09-12-2009, 05:12 PM
98 ECF still burns :roll:
:roll: That is just cold.

iounas
09-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Too bad he didn't go with the "both teams played hard, and I would like to thank the lord and my fans" speech.
:roll: :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrOH-KHxXg0

oh the horror
09-12-2009, 05:17 PM
And what is this "people expected the GOAT speech from the GOAT?"

Wtf was he supposed to do? Cure world hunger up there?

Riker
09-12-2009, 05:19 PM
:roll: :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrOH-KHxXg0

If MJ had any courtesy..it would go down like this:

"Thank you for coming, because during my career, both teams played hard. They played very hard and I will have to thank the lord for giving us that opportunity. Thank you, and god bless."

oh the horror
09-12-2009, 05:20 PM
If MJ had any courtesy, he would just walk up and said

"Thank you for coming, because during my career, both teams played hard. They played very hard and I will have to thank the lord for giving us that opportunity. Thank you, and god bless."

and then people would have complained about that as well.

iounas
09-12-2009, 05:23 PM
And what is this "people expected the GOAT speech from the GOAT?"

Wtf was he supposed to do? Cure world hunger up there?
I thought it was better than Robinsons..
He just said thanks and went away..
Jordan was at least telling a story how he got where he was..

iamgine
09-12-2009, 05:27 PM
It was often spoken of by players but this might be the first time it's shown publicly.

oh the horror
09-12-2009, 05:28 PM
I thought it was better than Robinsons..
He just said thanks and went away..
Jordan was at least telling a story how he got where he was..

I loved it dude. Mike always keeps it real, and is gracious when he needs to be, shows emotions along the way, love for his competitors and then you cant help but crack up when he talks about going at people even to this day, STILL talking a little trash here and there...its what made him great.

I miss players like him in today's game. There arent that many left like that.

Riker
09-12-2009, 05:29 PM
I still can't believe Jordan walked up there and didn't address 9/11 tragedy or Obama's latest office struggles with health reform.

Disgusting.

oh the horror
09-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Michael Jordan was the first man in the history of the basketball inductee ceremony to cure cancer. Fact.

kumquat
09-12-2009, 05:47 PM
All you ladies are getting your panties tied in a knot. There was nothing wrong with his speech.

lilgregoden
09-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Just watched his speech and I thought it was fine. He was pretty harsh on leroy smith and when he addressed his children and saying he wouldnt wanna be them, that was just stupid.

CB4GOATPF
09-12-2009, 05:50 PM
[B]
I think you people don`t understand why MJ talks all that. He wanted to let
people know know things about him that they don`t know which they mostly do. I mean...he is probably the most known b-baller of all time right? :rolleyes:

You know why he is cocky? Well i think you don`t realize that Jordan really felt below the rest"...thats something people have not realize yet!? :confusedshrug:

He always says he felt he was the "least likely to succeed in his family": maybe that was not what would have happened but thats "how he felt" so that is what matters.

He felt that everyone was trying to gain on him: his sister would graduate 1st, his brother would challange him and punish him on the court, he din`t like school work so his options where sports (basketball, baseball, anything)

He was cut from his highschool team etc...those things that might not mean much to you guys or one --Took on Jordan`s personal character: he took it personally. That is why he worked the way he did to "proove to others that he deserved to be mentioned or take part of something". Even when he entered the NBA people kept saying he wasn`t the player he was that others where better, as he said "they added wood to a fire that already had been had been lit for years".

Also in 1985 All Star Game i don`t think he was isolated atleast not by Bird. Bird was at that Time The Best Player in the NBA (close 2nd Moses...he calls Moses and MJ the Best he ever played against in terms of the fear he felt when playing against them) "go watch" and every time rookie Jordan did some great move or shot Bird support him and Bird was a cocky m-fo too: at one point when Jordan 1st arrived he yelled at him that "no one was going to take his place and through the ball on to the other court in a summer practice" etc

Jordan is explaing to everyone why he became that way.

All Real NBA Superstars have a storry that explains their character and the fire to be great.

MJ`s was this one :confusedshrug:

Chuck:

Chucks is the way he was because he was a fat and overweight shy kid at school... kids used to get picked on at school...Basketball became his refuge (before he would get into trouble)...having no father figure etc..he didn`t go out to dances alot when a kid..then...

In higschool as a 5`10 inch fat pg he was average and never had a good shot. Teamates would not give him the ball

LA_Showtime
09-12-2009, 05:55 PM
It was an interesting speech to listen to but it was really hard to watch at certain points...

guy
09-12-2009, 05:58 PM
A big criticism of Jordan was that he was such a robot when it came to doing interviews with the media. He always gave the politically correct answers and rarely said anything controversial. Now everyone is getting their panties in a bunch cause he does the opposite now?

And seriously, it wasn't that bad and some of you are just being way too sensitive. Some of the things people are criticizing it for is ridiculous. The author talks about how he "disparages" Van Gundy? How??? Because he called him a "little guy"? Dude is like 5 FT, who cares? And Bryon Russell? He was just telling a funny story. What did they want to hear? Another one of the million Jordan stories we've already heard?

The only bad thing might be about his kids. And really, those are HIS kids. Who knows how their relationship is? Maybe his kids don't really care and already know the arrogant ego-driven Jordan, which greatly made him the GOAT, better then anyone. If my dad said the same thing about me in front of people, that I have big shoes to fill, I wouldn't be offended by it at all.

phoenix18
09-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Just watched his speech and I thought it was fine. He was pretty harsh on leroy smith and when he addressed his children and saying he wouldnt wanna be them, that was just stupid.
As a basketball fan, would you want to be Leroy Smith's child? EDIT: Got pretty mixed up there, I wouldnt want to have all that pressure either.

Heilige
09-12-2009, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=CB4GOATPF][B]
I think you people don`t understand why MJ talks all that. He wanted to let
people know know things about him that they don`t know which they mostly do. I mean...he is probably the most known b-baller of all time right? :rolleyes:

You know why he is cocky? Well i think you don`t realize that Jordan really felt below the rest"...thats something people have not realize yet!? :confusedshrug:

He always says he felt he was the "least likely to succeed in his family": maybe that was not what would have happened but thats "how he felt" so that is what matters.

He felt that everyone was trying to gain on him: his sister would graduate 1st, his brother would challange him and punish him on the court, he din`t like school work so his options where sports (basketball, baseball, anything)

He was cut from his highschool team etc...those things that might not mean much to you guys or one --Took on Jordan`s personal character: he took it personally. That is why he worked the way he did to "proove to others that he deserved to be mentioned or take part of something". Even when he entered the NBA people kept saying he wasn`t the player he was that others where better, as he said "they added wood to a fire that already had been had been lit for years".

Also in 1985 All Star Game i don`t think he was isolated atleast not by Bird. Bird was at that Time The Best Player in the NBA (close 2nd Moses...he calls Moses and MJ the Best he ever played against in terms of the fear he felt when playing against them) "go watch" and every time rookie Jordan did some great move or shot Bird support him and Bird was a cocky m-fo too: at one point when Jordan 1st arrived he yelled at him that "no one was going to take his place and through the ball on to the other court in a summer practice" etc

Jordan is explaing to everyone why he became that way.

All Real NBA Superstars have a storry that explains their character and the fire to be great.

MJ`s was this one :confusedshrug:

Chuck:

Chucks is the way he was because he was a fat and overweight shy kid at school... kids used to get picked on at school...Basketball became his refuge (before he would get into trouble)...having no father figure etc..he didn`t go out to dances alot when a kid..then...

In higschool as a 5`10 inch fat pg he was average and never had a good shot. Teamates would not give him the ball

iounas
09-12-2009, 06:05 PM
The only bad thing might be about his kids. And really, those are HIS kids. Who knows how their relationship is? Maybe his kids don't really care and already know the arrogant ego-driven Jordan, which greatly made him the GOAT, better then anyone. If my dad said the same thing about me in front of people, that I have big shoes to fill, I wouldn't be offended by it at all.

Jordan said he wouldn't want to be his kids because of the level of scrutiny they face. They expect his sons especially to become the "next Jordan".

andgar923
09-12-2009, 06:08 PM
I have to agree with Sir Charles....

I missed DRob's speech, but all of them had the same theme which was explaining how they became who they are.

Sloan talked about working hard and his brothers and sisters providing for the family after his father's death.

Stockton talked about having to overcome coming from a small school with no bus, having to fight his brother etc.etc.

Coach Vivian talked about the sexual prejudices she had to overcome.

These along with other events in their lives (which they described) are why they became so great. Its what DROVE them to becoming Hall of Famers. And MJ did the same thing.... albeit in a slightly different way.

We got to see a little of their personality or something that we didn't know about them as MJ explained.

Sloan a no non sense tough guy from rural America, quiet but hard working.
Vivian a tough and strong black woman from a small town.
Stockton a humble quiet yet reserved person that felt he was never really good enough so he had something to prove.
And MJ the psychotic obsessed competitor that felt he needed to prove you wrong.

(I missed Drob)

So those taking offense to his theme are hypocrites. Instead they should focus on the delivery/content not the theme of his speech.

CB4GOATPF
09-12-2009, 06:11 PM
****ing repped! Can you explain Kobe's story and fire to be great!

Tell you the truth?

At 1st lived off his pure talent

Then..."Since So Many Fools are Comparing Me to the GOAT Perimeter Player...I Wan`t to Be Like Mike...let me change my number to 24 (an upgrade 23? :oldlol: :rolleyes: GET-FCK-Out of Here Kobe! :banghead: What Where you Thinking?)

That`s no hate on Kobe...He is a Top 5-6 Perimeter Player of All Time and a Top 20 GOAT (analyzed through reality of impact, not votings, polls, media, rings, hype) but he has been handed outeverything...

guy
09-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Jordan said he wouldn't want to be his kids because of the level of scrutiny they face. They expect his sons especially to become the "next Jordan".

I know that. I don't think it was bad. I could see where someone is coming from if they say it was wrong for him to point out that they have so much expected of them. But do they not already know that?

andgar923
09-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Something the surprised me and something I haven't seen anybody mention yet is, his repping his ex wife.

I think he gave her props a few times indirectly and who would've thunk it after their nasty divorce?

guy
09-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Something the surprised me and something I haven't seen anybody mention yet is, his repping his ex wife.

I think he gave her props a few times indirectly and who would've thunk it after their nasty divorce?

I remember in that interview with 60 minutes a year ago he said they were still great friends or something.

Riker
09-12-2009, 06:21 PM

Yeah but he didn't rep her good enough therefore ultimately it was more like a diss than a rep.

iounas
09-12-2009, 06:22 PM
****ing repped! Can you explain Kobe's story and fire to be great!

I dont think Kobe had a story like that.
He had a father who played in nba and they moved to Italy so he can play there..
Kobe was always hanging with the players and shooting hoops..
Then moved back to US and Kobe straight from high school to NBA..

Heilige
09-12-2009, 06:23 PM
I dont think Kobe had a story like that.
He had a father who played in nba and they moved to Italy so he can play there..
Kobe was always hanging with the players and shooting hoops..
Then moved back to US and Kobe straight from high school to NBA..

I mean what was/is motivation and fire? He has to have had some to become as good as he is.

iounas
09-12-2009, 06:26 PM
I mean what was/is motivation and fire? He has to have had some to become as good as he is.

"The motivation for me is just the game itself, just playing the game the right way and trying to win, compete every time I step out there on the floor. That's motivation enough for me to go out there and play well."

KOBE BRYANT, interview, Feb. 15, 2004

CB4GOATPF
09-12-2009, 06:30 PM
People are over reacting too much here

This is BASKETBALL you f-kin idiots :banghead: ...people are acting as if they where some sort of "Ideal Judges on Personalities" or full time "Psychologists" :rolleyes: ...

We are not picking who is the nicest person to be around with :no: ....:confusedshrug: We are talking about Basketball!

Wonder why Jordan was so competitive? Well that is why...Many People Where Trying to Undergrade Him Since Youth (he felt that so deal with it!)...So That is How He Responded with a Vengeance and Superb Ego to surpass that. To never again "feel afraid" as he says in his last sentence.

Wonder Why Chuck became so Talkative, Brave to say what he feels and Agressive when he played?

Well 1st he was a shy kid... shy, overweight and short who was picked on at school early. Later on nobody gave him the ball during practices, his coaches also said he was lazy and fat (if you call a fat person "fat" its not really a good way to incourage him to loose weight you know! :rolleyes: ) so that is how he responded...he hardly practiced ever! he talked more than ever and owned against all odds!

Samurai Swoosh
09-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Jordan even has a "killer instinct" in acceptance speeches. haha

andgar923
09-12-2009, 06:36 PM
:roll:

Samurai Swoosh
09-12-2009, 07:01 PM
:roll:
Gotta love it, right?

Kevin_Garnett_5
09-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Jordan even has a "killer instinct" in acceptance speeches. haha :pimp:

Riker
09-12-2009, 07:13 PM
People are over reacting too much here

This is BASKETBALL you f-kin idiots :banghead: ...people are acting as if they where some sort of "Ideal Judges on Personalities" or full time "Psychologists" :rolleyes: ...

We are not picking who is the nicest person to be around with :no: ....:confusedshrug: We are talking about Basketball!

Wonder why Jordan was so competitive? Well that is why...Many People Where Trying to Undergrade Him Since Youth (he felt that so deal with it!)...So That is How He Responded with a Vengeance and Superb Ego to surpass that. To never again "feel afraid" as he says in his last sentence.

Wonder Why Chuck became so Talkative, Brave to say what he feels and Agressive when he played?

Well 1st he was a shy kid... shy, overweight and short who was picked on at school early. Later on nobody gave him the ball during practices, his coaches also said he was lazy and fat (if you call a fat person "fat" its not really a good way to incourage him to loose weight you know! :rolleyes: ) so that is how he responded...he hardly practiced ever! he talked more than ever and owned against all odds!

NO! NO!

JORDAN IS IDOL! HE IS THE WORLDWIDE PARENT! IF JORDAN SAYS "JUMP OFF A CLIFF" PEOPLE DO IT.

HE PARENTS THE WORLD. THEREFORE THE ONLY THING ACCEPTABLE HE SUPPOSED TO SAY WAS

"BOTH TEAMS PLAYED HARD, AND I THANK THE LORD, AND I'LL END THE WORLD HUNGER....NOW!"

AND THATS THAT! :rant :rant :rant

Vragrant
09-12-2009, 07:26 PM

I actually LOL'd.
:oldlol:

SYM86
09-12-2009, 08:07 PM

you talking about KOBE didn't earn his current star status? you kidding me? you sure you not talking about lebron james? NBA put the red carpet for lebron before he even joins the NBA.

Kobe was never the guy to look for during his early age in NBA. he known as the guy who shot 2 air balls during the Utah series. period.

D.Z.W.
09-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I don't really see whats wrong with it. I'm sure a lot of people wonder what exactly made MJ this ultra competitive. He is just explaining where all his sources of motivation came from (from his family to his opponents).

Some may just say he's bitter and takes offense to anyone who bad mouths him, but using it as a fuel to work hard is a good thing imo.

It applies to everyone; whenever you do something for a long duration of time, its hard to stay motivated and focused - thats why we look for inner sources of motivation to keep ourselves from slacking/giving up.

Its easy to say "I'm going to prove all you doubters wrong" , but to actually do what is necessary to be able to achieve the goal of 'shutting people up' constantly is an incredibly difficult task.

Jordan did it, and thats why he's the greatest of all time :pimp:

DuMa
09-12-2009, 08:09 PM
when it comes to basketball, jordan was one of the biggest trash talkers ever on the court, off the court. i dont see why he should stop even while being enshrined into the hall, he did back up his trash talk pretty good. no one ever had the chance to humble him and so you can understand why he shouldnt act that way at all.

haters just want to hate because he is simply the best.

dynasty1978
09-12-2009, 09:10 PM
when it comes to basketball, jordan was one of the biggest trash talkers ever on the court, off the court. i dont see why he should stop even while being enshrined into the hall, he did back up his trash talk pretty good. no one ever had the chance to humble him and so you can understand why he shouldnt act that way at all.

Actually, it's hard to understand and accept that reasoning unless you're an enabler. Here is a stage in which he is being hailed as the G.O.A.T by fans and haters alike and he still can't manage to handle it with dignity and grace.

Younggrease
09-12-2009, 09:49 PM
mj is funny sometimes though...

"Will Vanderbilt. He doesn't deserve to be named after a Big Ten school." - Michael on Will Perdue

monkeypox
09-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Why would anybody be surprised that MJ is an egotistical jerk? He's always been like that, and why shouldn't he be considering how he's worshipped? Just look at some of the responses in this thread, "He can say whatever he wants because he's the greatest!" Wow, really?

Riker
09-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Actually, it's hard to understand and accept that reasoning unless you're an enabler. Here is a stage in which he is being hailed as the G.O.A.T by fans and haters alike and he still can't manage to handle it with dignity and grace.
:violin: he's not your father, he's a basketball player who explanied to you and everyone else what it took for him to become what he is.

I feel bad that he didn't say how both teams played hard and strong and how better team won.

And he didn't thank god at all. smh

Abraham Lincoln
09-12-2009, 09:57 PM

According to this creedence Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain should be the most despised athletes of all time, yet they are not. Thou should think for a second, and realize that literally 100% of all the Jordan comments come from a certain portion of a certain fanbase. Not due to his game or skills as a ball player.

04mzwach
09-12-2009, 10:02 PM
I liked his speech. He showed love to the ones he liked and joked around about the ones he didn't get along with a while back. It was cool.

kentatm
09-12-2009, 10:29 PM
There is a edited version on YouTube that makes it seem like an excellent though less than memorable speech. You'll probably start to see that more than the full speech.

Of course. Just like how the NBA will try and hide the Vescay speech that was 10 times worse.

I don't know why anyone was surprised. Its been one of the worlds worst kept secrets that MJ was always kind of a douche bag that was too full of himself.

The only thing that blows my mind is he gets away with things that Kobe would get absolutely crushed for.

Its nice that reporters are finally calling him out for his BS but it would have been nicer had they done it way back when it mattered.

edit - its really funny that if you even mention Kobe in this thread you are one of his knob gobblers. Just an FYI, I have NEVER liked Kobe. the closest you can get to calling me one of his fan boys is that I have always thought he got a bum rap getting blamed for the Lakers being dismantled when it was clear as day Shaq was just as much to blame.

oh the horror
09-12-2009, 10:31 PM

An ENABLER? LOL Omg... :roll:

He didnt go up there and advocate beating women, and drug abuse. Get OUTTA here with that language. An "enabler?" Reeeeeally?

Day La Ghetto
09-12-2009, 10:33 PM
i think he should of left out the neg comments about his kids and anybody else not involved with his career. makes him seem all around cocky jerk. before this I digged the me against the world and you cant stop me attitude cause he could back it up ,but it looks like from the speech that hes like that with more then just basketball in his life

oh the horror
09-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Yeah but everything in life IS apart of basketball. Hes not an android created with the sole purpose of programmed basketball. His life, his children, his parents, his father, etc...etc...etc...ALL influenced how he felt on the court, how he felt on the road, how he felt off the court.

and what negative comments about his kids?

magnax1
09-12-2009, 11:28 PM
According to this creedence Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain should be the most despised athletes of all time, yet they are not. Thou should think for a second, and realize that literally 100% of all the Jordan comments come from a certain portion of a certain fanbase. Not due to his game or skills as a ball player.
Can you explain exactly why just based on talent/skill level Wilt and Russel are better than Jordan? What have they done to prove that their better? I respect your opinion more than basically anyone on here, but I got to ask.

Unworldy
09-12-2009, 11:39 PM
That was really a hack piece of journalism. It took alot of what he said out of context and assumed everything was delivered in a mean spirited way. MJ was just talking about things that motivated him, being himself. Alot of it was from the heart so it appeared a little rambling at times but thats not a sin. The guy is one of the most competitive athletes of all time, of course his ego will shine through a little now and then.

I enjoyed the speech immensely. Some people need to lighten the F up.

oh the horror
09-12-2009, 11:43 PM
That was really a hack piece of journalism. It took alot of what he said out of context and assumed everything was delivered in a mean spirited way. MJ was just talking about things that motivated him, being himself. Alot of it was from the heart so it appeared a little rambling at times but thats not a sin. The guy is one of the most competitive athletes of all time, of course his ego will shine through a little now and then.

Thats how I saw it as well.

branslowski
09-12-2009, 11:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=1WNE5u1Mf-w

:oldlol: The Jordan Stans in PMS Mode!!!...GOAT when you scroll down the comments once they find out about the Article....:roll:

shadow
09-13-2009, 12:25 AM
It wasn't a classy speech and he came across as an ass, but everyone already knows he's a grade a ******* with an ego the size of a planet so it was genuine in that respect. In truth it was a funny speech even if it was full of disses and it looked worse in light of the speeches given by the other guys and gal. If he had been more tactful in his approach it'd have been a great speech but he's not really a speech writer so he f'ed it up.

asd
09-13-2009, 02:18 AM
i see many in here are casting judgement on mj up from your moral high ground, aka disneyland

sorry to see that mj isn't your prince charming

TryToBeUnbias
09-13-2009, 02:27 AM
WTF are ppl *****ing about? i just watched the speech didnt see anything wrong with it :confusedshrug:

good speech to me :cheers:

raptorfan_dr07
09-13-2009, 02:42 AM
The only thing that blows my mind is he gets away with things that Kobe would get absolutely crushed for.

Of course he would. Kobe's not the GOAT is he? So far from it, it isn't even funny. He's a overhyped, overrated brat who doesn't deserve over half the praise he gets. A spolied little jack@$$ will get treated like a spoiled little jack@$$. Why would you even feel the need to compare this to Kobe? I'm fairly certain that Magic, Bird, Kareem, Russell, Shaq, Duncan, etc, can make a speech like that or say things in a similar fashion and they would be applauded and cheered just the same. It's all about attitude and the way you approach things/people. Of course there's gonna be a double standard for Kobe when compared to some of these other guys. They weren't the stuck up punk he was/is that was fed everything on a silver spoon the second he entered the league.

imdaman99
09-13-2009, 03:37 AM

Rumor has it that Adrian Wojohowski is a Kobe Stan. And a Laker fan. After all, according to everyone in here those are the only people in the world that would have anything against his acceptance speech amirite or amirite? :confusedshrug:

OldSchoolBBall
09-13-2009, 03:44 AM
Rumor has it that Adrian Wojohowski is a Kobe Stan. And a Laker fan. After all, according to everyone in here those are the only people in the world that would have anything against his acceptance speech amirite or amirite? :confusedshrug:

Well, he HAS written several gushing pro-Kobe/Laker pieces over the last two seasons, so it wouldn't surprise me. I felt MJ's speech was a bit much too.

imdaman99
09-13-2009, 03:47 AM
Well, he HAS written several gushing pro-Kobe/Laker pieces over the last two seasons, so it wouldn't surprise me. I felt MJ's speech was a bit much too.
MJs the greatest of all time. Now can we stop gushing over him :roll:

I coulda sworn the guy wrote a few anti-Kobe pieces. Maybe my memory's failing me.

nbastatus
09-13-2009, 04:20 AM
Great speech.