PDA

View Full Version : Young 1987 Sir Charles Barkley

Abraham Lincoln
09-12-2009, 06:20 PM
www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20096148,00.html

By Alan Richman

April 27, 1987

Hours before Michael Jordan's arrival at the Spectrum, Charles Barkley of the Philadelphia 76ers is taking his girlfriend to lunch. They have barely spoken in five days, and he is careful not to annoy her again?no minor effort for a man who flirts constantly, dresses in raggedy jeans and loves to spend entire afternoons on the couch watching soap operas. A few days earlier, his former Auburn University roommate, Mark Cahill, came to visit, and the two men stayed out until 4 a.m., while she waited up. Naturally, they lied, explaining that Cahill's plane was late. Naturally, she found out.

Now they have reconciled, after a fashion, but she is not altogether in a forgiving mood. She is complaining that he brushes his teeth too much, which is a bit picky, although it is likely that he is one of the few professional basketball players to brush before games. He learned many valuable lessons from his mother and grandmother, who raised him meticulously, but they may have overdone oral hygiene.

Barkley's girlfriend has asked that her name not be printed, because he's black and she isn't. Her family, she says, wouldn't like her "dating a black 76er with so much money he can have any woman he wants." Glaring at him, she adds, "That even sounds bad to me."

Inasmuch as the theme of the luncheon is Barkley's many failings, she wants to know why he can't stop this Michael Jordan from scoring. Jordan is averaging 36.9 points per game, the best in the National Basketball Association since Wilt Chamberlain 23 years ago.

"Are you going to out-score him tonight?" she demands. "Aw, now honey," he says, "he takes more shots in a half than I take in a whole game."

"Why can't anybody guard him?"

"Honey, our whole team tries."

"Is he that good?"

"He had 63 against the Celtics."

"If you know before the game he'll score so much, why don't you do something about it?"

"Honey, it doesn't work that way. He's a great player who takes a lot of shots. That's a lethal combination."

"I still don't know why he scores so much."

Among basketball players, Barkley does not have a reputation for patience, but he admits he is "a different person off the court than on." Although he is just 24, completing his third year in the NBA, his strength and his fierceness are legendary. Standing only 6'4

Abraham Lincoln
09-12-2009, 06:25 PM
He speaks hardly at all of his father, Frank Barkley, who left Leeds when Charles was a baby. He tries to appear indifferent, but finally he admits, "I hurt to the extent that I wish he had been there and hurt that he wasn't. I was very angry and very resentful all my life, until the last couple of years." He saw his father occasionally while growing up and now sees him whenever the 76ers are in Los Angeles. Charles's mother, Charcey Glenn, 45, and his grandmother, Johnnie Edwards, 60, raised the boy and looked after him. Before Barkley signed with Luchnick, the attorney had to visit Leeds and pass maternal inspection. As Luchnick recalls, "We all sat down at 6 o'clock to go over the contract. By 7:30, Charles was snoring on the couch. About 9:30, his mother went to bed. At 1:30 in the morning, his grandmother pushed her glasses up on her nose and said, 'All right, tell me again, what do you mean by full power of attorney.' "

Barkley dropped out of Auburn after his junior year to play pro basketball, but he plans to attend summer school to get a degree, probably in business management. "At least I'll know if my attorney is robbing me," he says, making certain his lawyer is listening. He really doesn't want a degree?"It's not like I'm going to be a brain surgeon"?but he expects he will be spending the next three summers in school, because his grandmother made him promise he would. "And she keeps riding me," he sighs. His grandmother also takes a profound interest in his basketball career and is able to follow it diligently ever since Barkley had a satellite dish installed in the backyard. "She can watch me play and tell me everything I'm doing wrong," says Barkley. He sighs again. "And she does all the time, unfortunately."

It is just after 6 p.m., 90 minutes before game time, 45 minutes before he is supposed to be dressed for Jordan and the Chicago Bulls. Barkley is still on the couch. In a league where stardom is asserted by arriving as late as possible for home games, or by hiding behind potted palms in hotel lobbies in order to be last on the team bus, Barkley is a cinch to make the All-Late Hall of Fame. He says he gets nervous sitting around locker rooms. At 6:22 p.m., he drives his Mercedes out of the apartment complex. At 6:36 p.m., having negotiated 11.3 miles of Center City rush hour traffic in 14 minutes, he arrives at the Spectrum.

By late in the fourth quarter, the 76ers are leading the Bulls by six, but Jordan is on his way to a 49-point game. Barkley is assigned to guard him. He picks up Jordan at mid-court and delivers a forearm that jolts him upright. The message is clear: while Michael Jordan might rule the air, Charles Barkley controls the turf. After the game, Jordan is sitting by his locker, shaking his head and trying to figure out what got into Barkley. Meanwhile, Barkley is sitting by his locker, shaking his head and trying to figure out how to explain 49 points to his girlfriend. "I told her before the game he always gets 30," he says hopefully. "Maybe I can tell her we held him to 19."

Abraham Lincoln
09-12-2009, 06:31 PM
A true side of the real Charles Barkley. :cheers:

CB4GOATPF
09-12-2009, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=Abraham Lincoln]www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20096148,00.html

By Alan Richman

April 27, 1987

Hours before Michael Jordan's arrival at the Spectrum, Charles Barkley of the Philadelphia 76ers is taking his girlfriend to lunch. They have barely spoken in five days, and he is careful not to annoy her again?no minor effort for a man who flirts constantly, dresses in raggedy jeans and loves to spend entire afternoons on the couch watching soap operas. A few days earlier, his former Auburn University roommate, Mark Cahill, came to visit, and the two men stayed out until 4 a.m., while she waited up. Naturally, they lied, explaining that Cahill's plane was late. Naturally, she found out.

Now they have reconciled, after a fashion, but she is not altogether in a forgiving mood. She is complaining that he brushes his teeth too much, which is a bit picky, although it is likely that he is one of the few professional basketball players to brush before games. He learned many valuable lessons from his mother and grandmother, who raised him meticulously, but they may have overdone oral hygiene.

Barkley's girlfriend has asked that her name not be printed, because he's black and she isn't. Her family, she says, wouldn't like her "dating a black 76er with so much money he can have any woman he wants." Glaring at him, she adds, "That even sounds bad to me."

Inasmuch as the theme of the luncheon is Barkley's many failings, she wants to know why he can't stop this Michael Jordan from scoring. Jordan is averaging 36.9 points per game, the best in the National Basketball Association since Wilt Chamberlain 23 years ago.

"Are you going to out-score him tonight?" she demands. "Aw, now honey," he says, "he takes more shots in a half than I take in a whole game."

"Why can't anybody guard him?"

"Honey, our whole team tries."

"Is he that good?"

"He had 63 against the Celtics."

"If you know before the game he'll score so much, why don't you do something about it?"

"Honey, it doesn't work that way. He's a great player who takes a lot of shots. That's a lethal combination."
"I still don't know why he scores so much."

Among basketball players, Barkley does not have a reputation for patience, but he admits he is "a different person off the court than on." Although he is just 24, completing his third year in the NBA, his strength and his fierceness are legendary. Standing only 6'4

Abraham Lincoln
09-12-2009, 10:00 PM
:cheers:

magnax1
09-12-2009, 10:50 PM
http://charlesbarkleymugshot.com/images/charles-barkley-mugshot2.jpg
Hes 6-6, not 6-4. I don't know why but it bugs me when people say players are shorter than they are.
Anyway, interesting article.

G.O.A.T
09-12-2009, 10:51 PM
http://charlesbarkleymugshot.com/images/charles-barkley-mugshot2.jpg
Hes 6-6, not 6-4.

Shoes

magnax1
09-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Shoes
Yeah.... hes measured 6-7.5 in the photo, I don't know of any three inch shoes, or 2, or even many 1 inch shoes that most men would wear. So unless hes wearing cowboy boots hes 6-6 about.

Lebron23
09-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Yeah.... hes measured 6-7.5 in the photo, I don't know of any three inch shoes, or 2, or even many 1 inch shoes that most men would wear. So unless hes wearing cowboy boots hes 6-6 about.

He said that he's 6'5".

CB4GOATPF
09-13-2009, 03:51 PM
6`4 5/8...with shoes almost 6`6..around 6`5 3/4.

Check the Videos

*Kobe passing next to him on many parts of the game and so is Glen Rice (6`8?)
*How tall is Kobe in reality? Compare him to Chuck and see for yourselves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwzhSl43_rA

Manute for Ever!
09-13-2009, 08:05 PM
6`4 5/8...with shoes almost 6`6..around 6`5 3/4.

Check the Videos

*Kobe passing next to him on many parts of the game and so is Glen Rice (6`8?)
*How tall is Kobe in reality? Compare him to Chuck and see for yourselves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwzhSl43_rA

THEY PLAY IN SHOES!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

CB4GOATPF
09-13-2009, 08:13 PM
THEY PLAY IN SHOES!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

But then other PFs that are listed at 6`8. 6`9 and 6`10 should be listed atleast an inch taller but they aren`t :confusedshrug: :hammerhead: :confusedshrug:

Bigsmoke
09-13-2009, 09:10 PM
But then other PFs that are listed at 6`8. 6`9 and 6`10 should be listed atleast an inch taller but they aren`t :confusedshrug: :hammerhead: :confusedshrug:

Barkley is only one inch shorter than Larry Johnson.....

White Chocolate
09-13-2009, 09:24 PM

LJ measured 6'5.5". Barkley also was no taller than 6'5" tops MJ.

Lebron23
09-14-2009, 03:25 PM
This guy was just a freak of nature.

Thanks for the posting the article.

JohnnySic
09-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Young Barkley looked different before he got fat; he actually resembled a basketball player.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/image/1985/05/05/001093664.jpg

ShaqAttack3234
09-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Great article, Barkley was a beast that season.

23 ppg, 14.6 rpg, 4.9 apg, 1.8 spg, 1.5 bpg on 59.2% shooting.

One of the most unique players and personalities in NBA history. We'll never see another Charles Barkley. A player 2-3 inches undersized, but heavier than most outrunning and jumping everyone at his position while being able to pass out of the post, handle the ball on the break, shoot jumpers(although not consistently), rebound as well as anyone, block shots and post up anyone.

As far as his height? Well he's likely about 6'5.5"-6'6" without shoes and 6'7" with shoes. Although measurements in shoes are pointless to me.

CB4GOATPF
09-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Larry Johnson was 6`5 3/4 not even close to 6`7 as they kept listing him (with shoes on maybe 6`6 1/2)

Charles Barkley was 6`4 5/8. With shoes on a close 6`5 3/4

kNIOKAS
09-14-2009, 04:47 PM
i never understood why he is reffered at as "sir". please somebody explain!!! is it character? or his bumd ass

CB4GOATPF
09-14-2009, 04:59 PM
i never understood why he is reffered at as "sir". please somebody explain!!! is it character? or his bumd ass

Most Probable...Do to his Outspoken Demenor and Authority On Court.

CB4GOATPF
09-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Young Barkley looked different before he got fat; he actually resembled a basketball player.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/image/1985/05/05/001093664.jpg

Young Sir Charles Pics

http://www.ickscorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/charlesbarkley1991.jpg

http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/ballhype/photos_large/2008/09/27/Skinny_barkley.jpg

http://sixers4guidos.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/charles-barkley.jpg

For some part of the 1986-87 season and then from 1989-1993 Charles was in great shape: 252-255 or 260 lbs. Before that and after he he was usually overweight. In Houston he reported to be 28 lbs overweight for parts of the season

In Auburn it was insane: 296 lbs and sometimes 305-310 lbs... take a look at this:

http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/media_content/m-3121.jpg

:wtf: :bowdown:

G.O.A.T
09-14-2009, 05:17 PM
That was why Dallas took Sam Perkins over Barkley. Barkley led the SEC in Rebounding from the minute he stepped foot on Capus despite being 50 pounds or more overweight. He was not nearly as good an offensive player against zones, because his jump shot was completley useless until near the end of his Sixers days. But we was dominate on the offensive and defensive glass, blocked a ton of shots and would rotuinley steal skip passes and finish fast breaks looking just like the photo in the post above.

This guy may not be "the" greatest PF ever for a variety of reasons, but he's without question among the greatest basketball players and competitors in the history of the game.

There is no pure Power Forward I'd rather have on my team ever and I doubt there ever will be.

ShaqAttack3234
09-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Barkley was so versatile that he played a lot of small forward in his career as well, with both The 76ers, The Suns and in 1998 with The Rockets.

White Chocolate
09-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Barkley was so versatile that he played a lot of small forward in his career as well, with both The 76ers, The Suns and in 1998 with The Rockets.

That reason alone puts him above Malone IMO. Malone clearly had the longevity advantage, but he wasn't capable of playing 3-4 positions like Barkley.

G.O.A.T
09-14-2009, 05:30 PM
That reason alone puts him above Malone IMO. Malone clearly had the longevity advantage, but he wasn't capable of playing 3-4 positions like Barkley.

Malone's longevity gives him the nod most likely, although I agree with the sentiment that at their best, Barkley was the better player and always the guy I liked better and would rather have.

But when comparing and measuring careers, Malone's longevity is so unparalleled and so significant that it can't be over looked. Malone has more 1st team all-NBA selections then any PF ever and as many as Barkley has 1st, 2nd and 3rd combined. As much as I'd like to put Charles above him and feel like CB34 is the better player, without having won a title or a few more MVP's or trips to the finals, Barkley is relegated to the rank of 2nd-4th greatest PF depending on where you position Duncan and Pettit.

momo
09-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Great find.

I love how the first tangent in any barkley thread is his height.

~~~

The Sir Charles nick name has to do with Royalty kids.

ShaqAttack3234
09-14-2009, 05:48 PM

I can't agree. Barkley had the more dominant prime and I believe he could take over a game better than Malone could, but Karl's longevity is basically unmatched. At age 39 in Malone's 18th season he still averaged nearly 21, 8 and 5 on a playoff team. In his 12th season at age 33, Malone peaked averaging 27/10 with 4.5 assists on a 64 team that made it to the finals. he had virtually the same season in 1998 on another finals team.

At age 36 Malone averaged 25.5 ppg, 9.5 rpg and 3.7 apg on a 55 win Jazz team. Karl was 5th in scoring, 8th in FG% and 12th in rebounding. And that was in his 15th season! For his career Karl averaged 25 and 10 with 3.6 apg over 19 seasons.

I think that Karl's ability to continually add to his game as his career went on is amazing. As his athleticism faded he got smarter, became a better shooter and a better passer. In fact that made him a better player than he was in his athletic peak and really extended his career.

I do thinkt hat many make the mistake when comparing them of saying, well Malone is the better shooter, much better defender, scored more, won more ect. That's really deceptive, you had to watch them play because I think that Barkley seemed more unstoppable in his prime.

So basically I agree with G.O.A.T., Barkley had the better peak, but Malone had the better career.

magnax1
09-14-2009, 05:58 PM
I agree that Barkley was better, but Malone could play the 5, and did so fairly often in his later days in Utah, because they lacked a good center.

CB4GOATPF
09-14-2009, 08:18 PM

A Prime Malone was never in the level of a Prime Barkley. Infact no Malone was.

Till 1995 I saw Barkley always as a Better Player (not to mention own him in their meetings: 70% of them even till he was crippled) but by the 1995-96 season he could no longer jump and run like before be all over court.: that was crucial for his game u know? so that is when his game impact began to decline...

A 1985-86 - 1994-95 Barkley was so much better its not even debatable... :rolleyes:

Only Jordan and Hakeem are comparable to Barkley during those runs and during the Late 80s only Jordan especially if you include the level of teamates he played from 87-92= pathetic and those where his best Seasons Both Physically and Game Wise.

In 1992: Barkley already had set the record for Highest 2-Point FG% ever at 61%.

Imagine a guy that shoots that efficient and is doubled many times 12-15 ft way from the rim while himself creating that Shot! (not like McHale who waited for Bird or DJ to set him and i won`t even go into Stockton`s-Malone`s Parastical Connection): sometimes tripled by help of Perimeter Players timing his 1st step! The whole other team was focused looking at what Barkley would do it was insane!

They had to Chane the Rules cause of him: "5 Second Back to the Basket"

No other Player Ever has Created More Ilegal Defenses than Barkley in his Time and it was funny seeing them trying not to commit it while Barkley would force it: everyone was trying to prevent him from shooting the Mid Range (one of the deadliest ever) and his Off the Dribble Rumbles, 1st Steps or Spins.

2nd Most Efficient Leading to Score Player Per Possesion of All Time, after Magic Johnson (now Magic had Kareem, Worthy, McAdoo, Scott, Cooper etc as finishers...Barkley had who? HIMSELF AS A DESIGNER AND FINSIHER WHILE DOUBLED-TRIPLED!!!)

Just :bowdown:

BTW: Barkley also played Center for the Sixers after Malone left for some games and even with the Suns

I`ve seen Barkley guard Parish, Shaq, Hakeem...etc

CB4GOATPF
09-14-2009, 08:31 PM
I can't agree. Barkley had the more dominant prime and I believe he could take over a game better than Malone could, but Karl's longevity is basically unmatched. At age 39 in Malone's 18th season he still averaged nearly 21, 8 and 5 on a playoff team. In his 12th season at age 33, Malone peaked averaging 27/10 with 4.5 assists on a 64 team that made it to the finals. he had virtually the same season in 1998 on another finals team.

At age 36 Malone averaged 25.5 ppg, 9.5 rpg and 3.7 apg on a 55 win Jazz team. Karl was 5th in scoring, 8th in FG% and 12th in rebounding. And that was in his 15th season! For his career Karl averaged 25 and 10 with 3.6 apg over 19 seasons.

I think that Karl's ability to continually add to his game as his career went on is amazing. As his athleticism faded he got smarter, became a better shooter and a better passer. In fact that made him a better player than he was in his athletic peak and really extended his career.

I do thinkt hat many make the mistake when comparing them of saying, well Malone is the better shooter, much better defender, scored more, won more ect. That's really deceptive, you had to watch them play because I think that Barkley seemed more unstoppable in his prime.

So basically I agree with G.O.A.T., Barkley had the better peak, but Malone had the better career.

Better Shooter? :roll: is Laughable ...see thats what happens when kids of today just watch the mixes in youtube and see all Barkley DUnks :confusedshrug:

Scored more because he Shot More...:sleeping

A True Barkley fan will never even be so much impressed at his Dunks, Break Finishers, Coast to Coasts or Dunks...that was just a common theme...

A Dude that Shot 58% 2-Point FG (21.6 PPG) for 16 Seasons and 55.13% 2-Point FG for his Play-off Runs (22.5 PPG) while being the Most Doubled and Tripled Player in the late 80s and early 90s till the Arrival of Shaq...had to have something right?

Malone Shot 52%... 2-Point FG (24.7 PPG) Season while taking alot more attempts and decreased to 46.7% 2-Point FG on (24.6 PPG) in his Play-Off Runs something like that...while ofcourse taking more attempts...

*Ofcourse with Stockton Designing his Scoring....through Rolls and Timed Fast Break Looks....

To Describe Sir Charles...

Well just imagine Shaq at 6`5 with Adrian Dantley-Bernard King Mid Range Game Face Front and By Far the GREATEST SPIN MOVER EVER for a Frontliner.

Barkley was the Precusor of Shaq`s Black Tornados....he could do it both ways and turn the other way and do it again left or right. He could shoot left handed in the paint while hammerd by 2 players etc..

Barkley was a more skilled version of Shaq at 6`5 with Guard and Center Indisincts to Create, Pass and Time Blocks...with a Passion for The Game for Rebounds that is IMO not comparable to anyone: Moses and Rodman come to mind

ShaqAttack3234
09-14-2009, 09:22 PM
[B]Better Shooter? :roll: is Laughable ...see thats what happens when kids of today just watch the mixes in youtube and see all Barkley DUnks :confusedshrug:

I'm not a kid, you illiterate ****, and I rarely watch mixes.

A Dude that Shot 58% 2-Point FG (21.6 PPG) for 16 Seasons and 55.13% 2-Point FG for his Play-off Runs (22.5 PPG) while being the Most Doubled and Tripled Player in the late 80s and early 90s till the Arrival of Shaq...had to have something right?

It doesn't mean he was a better shooter than prime Karl Malone. Shaq's FG% is much better than Duncan's, but Duncan is the better shooter.

By the mid to late 90's Karl Malone had a more consistent jumper than Barkley ever had. Sure, Barkley made more 3's, but Barkley's 3 point shooting was never something to brag about.

If you want to know why Barkley's FG% was higher, I'll tell you why. Barkley played with his back to the basket more and he shot less. Lets compare peak Barkley and peak Malone.

Charles Barkley in 1993- 25.6 ppg, 12.2 rpg, 5.1 apg, 1.6 spg, 1.0 bpg, 52.0 FG%, 18.1 FGA, 37.6 mpg, 62 wins, WCF champions

Karl Malone in 1997- 27.4 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1.4 spg, 0.6 bpg, 55.0 FG%, 19.2 FGA, 36.6 mpg, 64 wins, WCF champions

When Barkley took a number of shots, more on par with Malone's shot attempts, his FG% dropped to 3.0% below Malone's %. Malone was the better jump shooter.

*Ofcourse with Stockton Designing his Scoring....through Rolls and Timed Fast Break Looks....

I'm not denying that Stockton helped Malone. In fact, I was actually saying that I think prime Charles Barkley was better than prime Karl Malone, even though the stats don't necessarily suggest that.

G.O.A.T
09-14-2009, 10:30 PM
You've been more then fair Shaqattack

CB4goat knows his stuff but is blinded by bias like a lot of folks on here.

Even saying as you did that Barkley at his best is better then the Mailman is not enough for him. (usually)

CB4GOATPF
09-14-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm not a kid, you illiterate ****, and I rarely watch mixes.

It doesn't mean he was a better shooter than prime Karl Malone. Shaq's FG% is much better than Duncan's, but Duncan is the better shooter.

By the mid to late 90's Karl Malone had a more consistent jumper than Barkley ever had.

Sure, Barkley made more 3's, but Barkley's 3 point shooting was never something to brag about.

"...Fu-Ck..." Ok uncalled for :rolleyes:

I saw Barkley and Malone on a daily from 1990-95 dummy and Barkley was a way better shooter, way better. Infact Barkley rarely missed inside the 3-Point FG while Malone missed open shots and lay ups in ways which i would fall out of my seat when watching and ofcourse finally understood why he got so much points: Stockton`s incredible vision and timing, picks/rolls and break finishes (great runner for easy breaks himself)

Barkley could play both in a Half Court and Running Game... Malone played better in a Running Game mostly (finally at the end of his career he got better with the ball and shooting on his own)...

Malone developed his shooting abilities after the 1993 season. Barkley by 1988 had a Decent Mid Range Jumper and by 1990 he had a GREAT ONE.

*Dantley himself responsable for teaching him (HOF Videos...)

Malone`s Jump Shooting and Pure Shooting Abilities developed late compared to Chuck: reason to why they are the same age and Barkley was drafted a year before (and higher in the Ran) because of Superior Fundamentals and Natural Talent/Skill Set

*Dr J: "Barkley had enormous Skills...The Game Might Have Been a Little Easy For Him"

Actually his laziness is rooted in this fact mentioned

*Wyman Tisdale: "Charles Barkley never practiced but when i mean did not practice, i really mean it, almost never"

Ofcourse if a 6`9 + dude Shoots a Cool Jumper such as Malone or 7`0 Garnett even more then it looks nicer...or Cooler...

Barkley actually did not have a "Cool Looking Jumper" (which a different thing) he was just a Better

PURE SHOOTER than Malone. Barkley was a bit like Bird in which he would "hardly jump when shooting" He designed his shooting in strange ways hiding the ball (not just by playing back to the basket) but through skills-fakes and would love to trash talk and wait for the clock to run to shoot in someones face while telling him when he was to shoot it (something Malone could never ofcourse): someday ill put on the 47 point game on the Blazers by Barkley: 85% consited of Mid Range Jumpers and Fadeways while Designing

Barkley was A Way Better

MID RANGE SHOOTER (Without Jumping)
POST SKILLED (FOOT WORK, SPINS "Wont even Go in to That" ETC) PLAYER
MAN TO MAN FACE UP FRONT SHOOTER (thats what i mean)
FADEWAY JUMPER (around the same level FACE FRONT JUMPER...but lets remember Barkley did`nt jump much when he shot his 12-15 FT Jumpers)

Than Karl...

Examples:

56 Points....Most of them Through Mid Range Jumpers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAdMW4Hi8yI

Full Game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq2XKRonc-8&feature=channel_page

*Malone could only Dream from the Shooting Mid Range with This Much Efficiency

If you want to know why Barkley's FG% was higher, I'll tell you why. Barkley played with his back to the basket more and he shot less. Lets compare peak Barkley and peak Malone.

Charles Barkley in 1993- 25.6 ppg, 12.2 rpg, 5.1 apg, 1.6 spg, 1.0 bpg, 52.0 FG%, 18.1 FGA[/B], 37.6 mpg, 62 wins, WCF champions

Karl Malone in 1997- 27.4 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1.4 spg, 0.6 bpg, 55.0 FG%, 19.2 FGA[/B], 36.6 mpg, 64 wins, WCF champions

When Barkley took a number of shots, more on par with Malone's shot attempts, his FG% dropped to 3.0% below Malone's %. Malone was the better jump shooter.

Again Wins....Team Concept :rolleyes:

You are also looking at a Better Post Up Gamed and Shooting Malone later in his Career he got better... :hammerhead: :banghead:

*Ofcourse Never in the Level of Barkley :no:

Also u doing an analysis for 1 season? and one Where Chuck... had guys like Ainge and Dan to Shoot From the Perimeter SO GET FCKN REAL :rolleyes: Don`t Forget to do same analysis that for the Play-Offs (where defenses get tighter and where Malone wasn`t ever very efficient) and compare their FG% HaHaHa :oldlol:

Malone took excesive shots and missed more because he wasn`t as skilled.

Barkley was like McHale and Dantley in which they took Less and Scored More/Per Shot Taken

*In the Case of Barkley with Way More Singular Defensive Attention than Any of them + Malone while Designing His Shot Himself..

* While in the case of Karl it 1st came of the Attention of Stockton`s Designing and Desicions.....

Barkley was Just So Much More Efficient in the Mid Range that it should even be debatable...

SEE:

The only Reason why Barkley`s FG% would drop is because he Took Excessive 3-Point Shots while Not Being a Skill of his

Barkley 3-Point FG Attempts in 1072 Season Games: 2020
Barkley 3-Point FG Attempts in 123 Play-Off Games: 251

Malone 3-Point FG Attempts in 1476 Season Games: 310
Malone 3-Point FG 193 Play-Off Games: 37

THE ONLY REASON WHY BARKLEY`S FG% DROPS IS BECAUSE OF "EXCESSIVE 3-POINT ATTEMPTS"...

End

MORE PROOF:

Barkley`s Career 2-Point FG%:

Season: 58.13% 2-Point FG% / 12.9 Two-Point FGAs PG / 21.6 PPG

Play-Offs: 55.13% 2-Point FG% / 14.5 Two Point FGAs PG / 22.5 PPG

Malone`s Career 2-Point FG%

Season: 51.9 % 2-Point FG% / 17.5 Two-Point FGAs PG / 24.8 PPG

Play-Offs: 46.6% 2-Point FG% / 19.3 Two-Point FGAs PG / 24.6 PPG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of Topic:

Barkley Shot 5.4% Better in the 2-Point Region even when facing Malone for their matches before the 1996-97 season (accounts for for 70% of their Total Meetings: excluding the 85-86 season no info yet)

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135370

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is insulting to say what you said. Barkley Shot so Much More Efficient that its laughable. You are saying that he Shot Better because he was Better at: Taking it to the Basket 1 on 1, 1 on 1 Off the Dribbles, Back to the Basket, Put Backs or Break Finishers...he was but HE WAS ALSO A BETTER JUMP SHOOTER, MID RANGE SHOOTER, SHOOTER ITSELF (its as clear as water that not only did Malone get more points on the Break through Stockton`s designing or through Pick and Rolls than Barkley could ever Dream Of but....)

Its even more clearer that Prime Barkley was guarded way more tighter than Malone: created more ilegal defenses than anyone, was doubled and tripled more than any PF i`ve seen ever and usually shot when he couldn`t get to the basket by a MID RANGE JUMPER (not really a jumper but a FACE FRONT BIRD LIKE FOLLOW THROUGH WITH FAKES AND SKILLS INVOLVED).

It is also dumb to think Barkley ran around in circles to get his jump shot off when not only was he guarded more tightly but one of his trademarks was usually designing his shot while talking trash and doing it while waiting for the possesion clock to mark 0 to take the shot where he would tell...usually face front. :pimp:

I will not discuss this anymore...:confusedshrug: .

I'm not denying that Stockton helped Malone. In fact, I was actually saying that I think prime Charles Barkley was better than prime Karl Malone, even though the stats don't necessarily suggest that.

Obvious...:applause:

No...They Do (.)

Greets

ShaqAttack3234
09-15-2009, 07:22 AM
I'm not even going to bother with a long response to that mess. All I'm going to say is that I never felt confident the ball was going in when Barkley shot it. When Malone shot mid-range jumpers in the mid to late 90's, I always thought they were going in.

CB4GOATPF
09-15-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm not even going to bother with a long response to that mess. All I'm going to say is that I never felt confident the ball was going in when Barkley shot it. When Malone shot mid-range jumpers in the mid to late 90's, I always thought they were going in.

Very Different From What I Watched in the Early 90s and even Mid 90s :confusedshrug:....In my case i was only comfortable when Stockton designed everything and passed it off to a Free Malone or when this one Ran to Catch a Pass from Stockton on the Break. Other than that, I have to Say Barkley hardly ever missed when he got the ball Inside the 2-Point Region. Ever!

Looks like You Either Where Watching Other Games (maybe some from late 90s: 1996-2000 if that!) or Where a Barkley Hater in Your Youth Days :confusedshrug: Regarding the Last One Its Ok Really....I Understand... there Where So Many Back of Them Back Then (Media, Fans, Coaches)....:applause:

Barkley 3-Point FG Attempts in 1072 Season Games: 2020
Barkley 3-Point FG Attempts in 123 Play-Off Games: 251

Malone 3-Point FG Attempts in 1476 Season Games: 310
Malone 3-Point FG Attempts in 193 Play-Off Games: 37

Barkley`s PPG on Career 2-Point FG%:

(Excluding 3-Pointers Made/3-Point Attempts Taken)

Season: 58.13% 2-Point FG% / 12.9 Two-Point FGAs PG / 21.6 PPG on 2-Point FGAs

Play-Offs: 55.13% 2-Point FG% / 14.5 Two Point FGAs PG / 22.5 PPG on 2-Point FGAs

Malone`s PPG on Career 2-Point FG%

(Excluding 3-Pointers Made/3-Point Attempts Taken)

Season: 51.9 % 2-Point FG% / 17.5 Two-Point FGAs PG / 24.8 PPG on 2-Point FGAs

Play-Offs: 46.6% 2-Point FG% / 19.3 Two-Point FGAs PG / 24.6 PPG on 2-Point FGAs

:violin:

CB4GOATPF
09-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Here is a rare mix of a prime Chuckster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwxGTjEwcg8

Enjoy :cheers:

CB4GOATPF
09-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Some other Plays of Prime Barkley....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huwxOL6svQU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf5pYMWGsMk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5TYLPKYdgI

Kasper
09-15-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm not huge on stats. But growing up watcing Sir Charles? He did it all.

He ran like a SF. He passed like a PG. He rebounded like a PF. And.. when he wanted.. he could defend like a C.

Regardless if you think he is nasty or not. You have to give him his due. He OWNED the court.

Most people don't say it, but he was similar to Magic. He could play all postions to near perfection.

CB4GOATPF
09-16-2009, 02:13 AM
I'm not huge on stats. But growing up watcing Sir Charles? He did it all.

He ran like a SF. He passed like a PG. He rebounded like a PF. And.. when he wanted.. he could defend like a C.

Regardless if you think he is nasty or not. You have to give him his due. He OWNED the court.

Most people don't say it, but he was similar to Magic. He could play all postions to near perfection.

:applause:

Manute for Ever!
09-16-2009, 06:24 AM
Here is a rare mix of a prime Chuckster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwxGTjEwcg8

Enjoy :cheers:

Why post this directly he stated that he rarely watches mixes?

CB4GOATPF
09-16-2009, 06:53 AM
Why post this directly he stated that he rarely watches mixes?

The objective of the post is too see Barkley when young: the athletic, fast, potent, quick and dominant he was compared to the late 90s after his back injuries, busted knees for 2 seasons straight and his overweight frame in Houston.

Greets :cheers:

Manute for Ever!
09-16-2009, 06:56 AM
The objective of the post is too see Barkley when young: the athletic, fast, potent, quick and dominant he was compared to the late 90s after his back injuries, busted knees for 2 seasons straight and his overweight frame in Houston.

Greets :cheers:

But he probably won't watch it :confusedshrug:

ShaqAttack3234
09-16-2009, 11:37 AM
But he probably won't watch it :confusedshrug:

Don't expect to get through to him, arguing with Sir Charles is like arguing with a brick wall. In fact I like the brick wall better because it doesn't respond.

Manute for Ever!
09-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Don't expect to get through to him, arguing with Sir Charles is like arguing with a brick wall. In fact I like the brick wall better because it doesn't respond.

I know, I've been doing it a while.