PDA

View Full Version : Malone, Barkley, Dr. J gang up on Bird (infamous fight)

Fatal9
09-23-2009, 06:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2yaRk2u7sE

Bird was torching Dr. J in the game btw, dropped 42 points (17/23 shooting) on him in 29 minutes (easily on pace to get 50+). Bird and Dr. J were trading elbows for a couple of possessions, at 4:06 you can hear Bird tell him "J, you and I...now!" and then proceeds to score on him. Fight happens on the ensuing possession.

:roll: at the thuggery at 7:00.

CB4GOATPF
09-23-2009, 06:36 AM

Bird was torching Dr. J in the game btw, dropped 42 points (17/23 shooting) on him in 29 minutes (easily on pace to get 50+). Bird and Dr. J were trading elbows for a couple of possessions, at 4:06 you can hear Bird tell him "J, you and I...now!" and then proceeds to score on him. Fight happens on the ensuing possession.

:roll: at the thuggery at 7:00.

Great Post...Moses/Dr J/...Bird/McHale/Parish and a Rookie Chuck :bowdown: :cheers:

macmac
09-23-2009, 06:50 AM
That was some nice footage...

Dr.J would see a 20-30 game suspension for that type of ish in our modern day PC league

Micku
09-23-2009, 07:10 AM
That was some nice footage...

Dr.J would see a 20-30 game suspension for that type of ish in our modern day PC league

What was the punishment for that stuff?

macmac
09-23-2009, 07:19 AM
What was the punishment for that stuff?

No suspensions. They each got a 7,500$ fine from the league.

G-train
09-23-2009, 07:19 AM
pretty tough by dr j throwing those 'punches' while bird is held by others. :ohwell:
melo x 1000.

BigTicket
09-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Complete ***** move by Dr. J, punching a guy while two others hold him :no:

Fun to see how different the standards were then though, in todays NBA Dr. J would be looking at 20 games suspension, and Moses and Barkley would get 5-10 each.

Big#50
09-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Larry Bird was a crazy ass redneck.

Micku
09-23-2009, 08:04 AM
No suspensions. They each got a 7,500$ fine from the league.

Seriously?!

What's up with the rules now?

macmac
09-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Seriously?!

Stern wants it wholesome for the kiddies

Dizzle-2k7
09-23-2009, 08:12 AM
crazy thing about only having one ref.. what would the NBA do today in a similar circumstance? Nowadays do they have "backup" refs? No way they can allow 1 ref to control these neanderthals in today's game.

eitherway, watching moses and barkley hold bird while DR j was gettin him really upset me.. but damn Id be mad too if I was 3/12 while Bird was scoring on me at will. :oldlol:

L.A. Jazz
09-23-2009, 10:44 AM
disgusting!

ukplayer4
09-23-2009, 10:50 AM
this is very strange. fatal 9 appears to have created a thread that doesnt directly make an attack on jordan....wtf....this can only mean he is 100% out of ammo.

or more likely i am missing the underlying anti mj message, someone point it out for me.

beasted86
09-23-2009, 11:17 AM
"J, you and I...now!" :oldlol: .... no. :no:

ProfessorMurder
09-23-2009, 11:19 AM
this is very strange. fatal 9 appears to have created a thread that doesnt directly make an attack on jordan....wtf....this can only mean he is 100% out of ammo.

or more likely i am missing the underlying anti mj message, someone point it out for me.

He may have gotten confused and thought Dr. J was MJ's first nickname.

Also, in the Celtics '86 championship DVD the brawl is edited out. They want everything clean now.

Showtime
09-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Seriously?!

Brawl at the Palace changed everything. Once that happened, Stern emasculated the league.

OneMoreSucka
09-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Jesus Christ Bird got worked :oldlol:

Chuck Thou NBA
09-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Bird was busting Dr. J's ass!

DuMa
09-23-2009, 02:10 PM
bird took his beating like a man. respect++

dirkdiggler41
09-23-2009, 02:18 PM
I lost a lot of respect for Dr.J, Malone and Barkley. Holding a man while Dr.J is hitting him is shame. I hate when people dont just go 1 on 1.

Revelation
09-23-2009, 02:20 PM
I lost a lot of respect for Dr.J, Malone and Barkley. Holding a man while Dr.J is hitting him is shame. I hate when people dont just go 1 on 1.

I did as well, Dr. J is a classless loser. Must have been tough getting torched by someone who looked like they should be working on a farm.

lefthook00
09-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Gangsta Sh*t.

White Chocolate
09-23-2009, 02:26 PM
If they pulled that sh!t today, they'd all be suspended for 20-30 games.

ihatetimthomas
09-23-2009, 02:34 PM
That's why I :bowdown: to Larry Legend

09-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Haha yea that was a ***** move but Larry Bird is a dumb redneck so I don't feel bad

frmsea2okc
09-23-2009, 02:59 PM
did anyone else see ml carr get socked in THE FACE at halfcourt by moses.
that my N***a :rockon:
birds a legend, the whole stadium was chanting his name during a fight.
i would have guessed malone/j/barkley would beat up the more white guys on roster than average celtics, but bird held it down. :cheers:

Abraham Lincoln
09-23-2009, 03:02 PM
:pimp:

OldSchoolBBall
09-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Totally ***** move by Dr. J, Barkley, and Malone. Bird would have kicked Dr. J's ass in a fair fight. Bird is corn fed. :oldlol:

Cyclone112
09-23-2009, 05:16 PM
That is just ****ed. I don't think Barkley or Malone were meaning to hold him up to get cheap shotted by Dr J but who knows. Either way that was an extremely ***** move by Dr J. God I love Larry, his trash-talking and ability to back it up is just amazing. It's too bad he wasn't in the league today.

RaininTwos
09-23-2009, 05:19 PM
I dont know what you guys are complaining about. Bird was in the zone, Dr.J knew that he would have gotten his ass handed to him, so he triple teamed bird. After Malone and Barkley had him locked up, they ran a three on one fast break with Dr.J punching it in. What is wrong with a little teamwork?

Big#50
09-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Dr.J is overrated as ****. He can't throw a decent punch. Did he ever make a stop on someone?

Niquesports
09-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Complete ***** move by Dr. J, punching a guy while two others hold him :no:

Fun to see how different the standards were then though, in todays NBA Dr. J would be looking at 20 games suspension, and Moses and Barkley would get 5-10 each.

In the streets its called a beat down bIRD GOT THAT A** WHOOPED :roll:

1987_Lakers
09-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Lol @ the sore loser Dr. J. Bird was owning him, so in response he jabs him three times while Barkley & Malone had Bird on lock down. Weak.

ZMonkey11
09-23-2009, 09:59 PM
That is just ****ed. I don't think Barkley or Malone were meaning to hold him up to get cheap shotted by Dr J but who knows. Either way that was an extremely ***** move by Dr J. God I love Larry, his trash-talking and ability to back it up is just amazing. It's too bad he wasn't in the league today.

yea i don't think they moses and barkley meant to hold larry back for cheap shots either.

BUT DAMN, JAB JAB JAB. Julius must be from the hood.

FinalCountdown
09-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Kobe would've died.

1987_Lakers
09-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Also lol @ Moses pulling a Carmelo Anthony @ 5:20.

Fatal9
09-23-2009, 11:11 PM
I think I'm gonna have to make the video private (or take it down)...NBA gestapos are too good at finding out and banning users uploading fights. Shame because physical play and fights between rivals are a great part of history.

chitownsfinest
09-23-2009, 11:20 PM
I think I'm gonna have to make the video private (or take it down)...NBA gestapos are too good at finding out and banning users uploading fights. Shame because physical play and fights between rivals are a great part of history.
I was just about to suggest the same thing.

CB4GOATPF
09-23-2009, 11:29 PM

Barkley told about this incident in his book. He was trying just to stop Bird because he was enraged and so was Moses... but Dr J was the one that kept hitting he was really pissed because it was at the time when Bird was considered the Best in the game: till 1986...It wasn`t a good time for Black Superstars becase a Slow-Unleaping-White boy was Considered the Best :pimp: and I guess old Doc did not take this very well :oldlol: Pride took over him do to the fact he was in his closing years in the NBA.

Barkley was actually afraid of what could have happened because he knew old Dr J was getting torched.

In the locker rooms Dr J was very ashamed at what he did and apologized for what he had done. Minutes later Barkley rubbed it on his face that we was getting torched... so some laughs came after that to easen the atmosphere.

Funny Times :oldlol: :cheers: :oldlol:

Abraham Lincoln
09-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Change the video title. :pimp:

OldSchoolBBall
09-24-2009, 12:07 AM

Did someone contact you on YT about it? They're ridiculous about pulling down any vids featuring an altercation. I guess it could be worse, though -- they could not allow ANY NBA related content on YT, which would really suck.

chitownsfinest
09-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Did someone contact you on YT about it? They're ridiculous about pulling down any vids featuring an altercation. I guess it could be worse, though -- they could not allow ANY NBA related content on YT, which would really suck.
Yeah I believe NBA is the only major sport league that allows its games/highlights to be uploaded.

OldSchoolBBall
09-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Yeah I believe NBA is the only major sport league that allows its games/highlights to be uploaded.

Yeah, that's why we really shouldn't complain too much. It's good of them to allow it.

HighFlyer23
09-24-2009, 01:32 AM
real n*gga sh*t:pimp:

Nevaeh
09-24-2009, 09:02 AM

Well Barkley and MJ were best friends at the time. They both knew that Bird was in his prime and the Celts were riding high that year as well. so step one was to get Dr J and Moses Malone to help end Birds career in order to help Jordan's Playoff chances.

When that Didnt work, MJ threw everything including the Kitchen sink at the Celtswith his first round scoring outbursts, but to no avail. Moral to the story? Ain't NOBODY stopping the Birdman's Title destiny this particular year.

DCL
09-24-2009, 11:12 AM

0:11 a "slow" and "unathletic" white dude ain't supposed to do that.

Brunch@Five
09-24-2009, 11:20 AM

0:11 a "slow" and "unathletic" white dude ain't supposed to do that.

And Bird actually did that without traveling, unlike most if not all other greats that have done that move (ie Hakeem, MJ etc)

btw, die Heinsohn really say "Bird uses his noodle to ..."? :oldlol:

edit: and agenda or no agenda, Fatal is really doing a good job posting old games and proving a lot of myths wrong.

DKLaker
09-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Dr. J was at the end of his career then, in his prime he would've OWNED Birds ass. That was like if Lebron played MJ tomorrow afternoon.
Bird should've shut his cocky mouth and just played ball. You don't disrespect a legend like that......he got what he deserved.

White Chocolate
09-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Dr. J was at the end of his career then, in his prime he would've OWNED Birds ass. That was like if Lebron played MJ tomorrow afternoon.
Bird should've shut his cocky mouth and just played ball. You don't disrespect a legend like that......he got what he deserved.

:no: You can't own the arguably smartest player ever.

OldSchoolBBall
09-24-2009, 01:40 PM

Bird would've outplayed Dr. J whether J was 25 or 35. He was simply a better player. Dr. J probably would have had a better game if he were younger, but he was never at any point better than Larry Bird.

lol @ "he got what he deserved." :oldlol: That's some thug sh&t right there. Dr. J was still playing in the NBA - if you can't take the heat of competition, retire.

RaininTwos
09-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Bird would've outplayed Dr. J whether J was 25 or 35. He was simply a better player. Dr. J probably would have had a better game if he were younger, but he was never at any point better than Larry Bird.

lol @ "he got what he deserved." :oldlol: That's some thug sh&t right there. Dr. J was still playing in the NBA - if you can't take the heat of competition, retire.
Are you saying that Dr.J(Julius Erving just to be correct) wouldnt be able to hang with Larry Bird? Yeah, you're right. Absolutely correct. He would be too busy hanging from the rim after posterizing Bird.

Fatal9
09-24-2009, 01:54 PM
:oldlol: at Dr. J owning Bird in his prime. He was no where the shooter, passer Bird was and never possessed his basketball savvy and intelligence. No matter how you may feel about Bird's defense, Dr. J in his prime was a worse defender too.

not yet but I got a couple of messages from users who didn't want all the Bird games to get taken down because of this one. I took out "fight" tags so it's a little bit more disguised.

RaininTwos
09-24-2009, 01:58 PM
not yet but I got a couple of messages from users who didn't want all the Bird games to get taken down because of this one. I took out "fight" tags so it's a little bit more disguised.
I hope the NBA wisens up and see that this is just free advertising and freely accept these type of videos. Good job man.

DKLaker
09-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Are you saying that Dr.J(Julius Erving just to be correct) wouldnt be able to hang with Larry Bird? Yeah, you're right. Absolutely correct. He would be too busy hanging from the rim after posterizing Bird.

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying!!!:cheers:

These kids don't realize that Dr. J WAS Michael Jordan before MJ came in.
MJ copied Dr. J just like Kobe copied MJ.
Dr. J would just swoop by you AND your whole team and dunk on you. If you look at Jordan's signature moves, he got them ALL from Dr. J
Including the take off from the free throw line dunk AND the hang in the air and float baseline reverse layup.....that was Dr J.
Jordan took Dr. J's game and added better shooting & better defense.
Kobe took Jordan's game and added increased shooting range to the 3 point line......the one thing Jordan didn't have.

CB4GOATPF
09-26-2009, 02:03 PM
People are stupid saying that Dr J would own Larry in his Prime. :no:

The only thing Dr J would have done better in his prime was Score more on Bird but he is definetly not stoping Bird especially a free injury early 80s Bird.

Bird was 6`9 3/4 and stronger than Dr J. he would just Post him up All Day and Shoot Over him as he is doing here (ala Dirk does with today`s PFs)

Dr J was a Great Perimeter Defender one of the Best at that but on the Post :no:. He was also a monster Shot Blocker from Behined and Team Defending Stealer but Bird was a "Multi Positional Freak of Nature" so he would have trouble matching with him infact Bird presented constant match problems and needed players that ranged from 6`6 with great wingspam, quickness and agility to dudes that where 6`8, 6`9, 6`10, 6`11, 7`1 etc plus 250 lbs to stop him from the Post. They still all failed :confusedshrug:

Bird was and still is a unique player that played a new brand of basketball mixing in the skills of a PG-SG-SF-PF into One Package while Dr J was a classic running SF with a good mid range game capable of playing some SG.

Erving would have bette offensive contributions when younger but he would definetly not stop Bird and Bird had the capacity to make others better in ways very few have done through his Court Vision/Awareness/Ball-IQ/Anticipation and Insame Passing/Game Creating Skills...

CB4GOATPF
09-26-2009, 02:11 PM

Dr. J would just swoop by you AND your whole team and dunk on you. If you look at Jordan's signature moves, he got them ALL from Dr. J
Including the take off from the free throw line dunk AND the hang in the air and float baseline reverse layup.....that was Dr J.
Kobe took Jordan's game and added increased shooting range to the 3 point line......the one thing Jordan didn't have.

You can`t copy athletic ability :no: :confusedshrug: both Dr J and Jordan where

FASTER, MORE POTENT, QUICKER, MORE AGIL, STRONGER, SUPERIOR LEAPERS, BIGGER HANDS, SUPERIOR DRIVERS, SUPERIOR ON THE OPEN FLOOR, SUPERIOR 1 ON 1 ATTACKERS, SUPERIOR PASSERS, SUPERIOR REBOUNDERS AND SUPERIOR DEFENDERS than Bryant ever was

Bryant is more of a Reggie Miller/Jordan mix but doesn`t have the Impact Jordan-Lebron-Dr J type players have because these dudes kill you with their Drive Attacks to the Basket...causing more Defensive Attention and Higher % Shots than nice looking jumps (with no handchecking and lower % shots).

That is why their PER was more dominating in their respective eras, Jordan`s even above Monster Frontline Stars which is insane for a Perimeter Player

"Jesus"
09-26-2009, 02:19 PM

Nobody gives a flying **** about Kobe in this thread. Take that garbage out of here.

Lost respect for J.

Samurai Swoosh
09-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Dr. J, Moses Malone, Charles Barkely

Complete B 1tches

Really?

It took 3 people to man up on Bird?

What a bunch of jiggs.

Samurai Swoosh
09-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Jesus Christ Bird got worked :oldlol:
Are you serious? He had two beefy PF / C's holding him down while Dr. J back peddled then when Bird was held and decided to start throwing jabs. Thats a clear cut defining b 1tch move on Dr. J, Barkely, and Malone's part. The only gangster in the entire situation WAS Bird ... willing to take on all 3 like a bad mother ****er.

Samurai Swoosh
09-26-2009, 03:02 PM

Loki coming through with MAJOR heat.

:oldlol:

Samurai Swoosh
09-26-2009, 03:06 PM
I've seen plenty of NFL highlights.

97 bulls
09-26-2009, 03:24 PM
let me start by sayn that what happened to bird was total BS. 2 guys holding hom while the other is punchn him in the face? and i have lost all respect for the other celtics players except carr. you just dont allow that to happen to one of your teammates.

now, on the basketball side, i think you guys are really overrating bird. in every clip that has been shown, hes either comming of picks or posting up a lazy defender in erving. i mean, in the post, dr j simply refuses to move his feet. thats why hes gettn beat by bird. you guys are actn like bird was scoring on him one on one. id say about 75% of birds baskets were a team effort. and the other 25 was more about dr js terrible defense than birds offense.

White Chocolate
09-26-2009, 03:47 PM
let me start by sayn that what happened to bird was total BS. 2 guys holding hom while the other is punchn him in the face? and i have lost all respect for the other celtics players except carr. you just dont allow that to happen to one of your teammates.

now, on the basketball side, i think you guys are really overrating bird. in every clip that has been shown, hes either comming of picks or posting up a lazy defender in erving. i mean, in the post, dr j simply refuses to move his feet. thats why hes gettn beat by bird. you guys are actn like bird was scoring on him one on one. id say about 75% of birds baskets were a team effort. and the other 25 was more about dr js terrible defense than birds offense.

Overrating Bird? He's arguably the smartest player to ever play. How many guys could know where each of his 4 teammates were on the court without even looking? How many unathletic players could manuever their way under the hoop and average 10 RPG? How many players could hit 15-17 foot jump shots will being double teamed? How many guys, regardless of peaks, could outplay Michael Jordan, much less after suffering from a bad back?

97 bulls
09-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Overrating Bird? He's arguably the smartest player to ever play. How many guys could know where each of his 4 teammates were on the court without even looking? How many unathletic players could manuever their way under the hoop and average 10 RPG? How many players could hit 15-17 foot jump shots will being double teamed? How many guys, regardless of peaks, could outplay Michael Jordan, much less after suffering from a bad back?
see, it mumbo jumbo like this. he comes off alot of picks and screens. ive been seeing alot of clips of his greatest games and thats how he scores. his points are a team effort. you can even say both teams considering the defense these guys are playing in the videos. all the other stuff is jibbersish. "he knows where all the players are with his eyes closed". get outta here wth that.

1987_Lakers
09-26-2009, 04:06 PM
"Scottie Pippen is on the same level as Larry Bird" - 97 bulls

97 bulls
09-26-2009, 04:14 PM
"Scottie Pippen is on the same level as Larry Bird" - 97 bulls
now you see. :cheers:

DKLaker
09-26-2009, 04:24 PM
You can`t copy athletic ability :no: :confusedshrug: both Dr J and Jordan where

FASTER, MORE POTENT, QUICKER, MORE AGIL, STRONGER, SUPERIOR LEAPERS, BIGGER HANDS, SUPERIOR DRIVERS, SUPERIOR ON THE OPEN FLOOR, SUPERIOR 1 ON 1 ATTACKERS, SUPERIOR PASSERS, SUPERIOR REBOUNDERS AND SUPERIOR DEFENDERS than Bryant ever was

Bryant is more of a Reggie Miller/Jordan mix but doesn`t have the Impact Jordan-Lebron-Dr J type players have because these dudes kill you with their Drive Attacks to the Basket...causing more Defensive Attention and Higher % Shots than nice looking jumps (with no handchecking and lower % shots).

That is why their PER was more dominating in their respective eras, Jordan`s even above Monster Frontline Stars which is insane for a Perimeter Player

What are you 12 years old??? Do you even OWN a TV or is radio your only source of NBA information??? Those comments are so stupid it doesn't even merit a response. I will argue with an intelligent debate not sheer stupidity.
Dr J's defense.....LMFAO!!!!

CB4GOATPF
09-26-2009, 04:53 PM
What are you 12 years old??? Do you even OWN a TV or is radio your only source of NBA information??? Those comments are so stupid it doesn't even merit a response. I will argue with an intelligent debate not sheer stupidity.
Dr J's defense.....LMFAO!!!!

:violin:

madmax
09-26-2009, 05:27 PM
see, it mumbo jumbo like this. he comes off alot of picks and screens. ive been seeing alot of clips of his greatest games and thats how he scores. his points are a team effort. you can even say both teams considering the defense these guys are playing in the videos. all the other stuff is jibbersish. "he knows where all the players are with his eyes closed". get outta here wth that.
why does it really matter if he scored off the picks and team work? Hell, at the end of the day you have to put the ball into the basket - scoreboard doesn't care how flashy you are going to achieve that, a simple J equls a dunk over 7-footer in my book. I understand that these boards are infested with 12 year olds, obsessed with highligh reels and dunking over people, but basketball consists of more than that unfortunately:rant

Kevin_Garnett_5
09-26-2009, 08:01 PM
SMH @ Malone, Julius and Chuck.

Killbot
09-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Larry Bird is one tough SOB.

+ respect for Bird
- respect for Erving, Barkley, and Malone.

97 bulls
09-26-2009, 08:51 PM
why does it really matter if he scored off the picks and team work? Hell, at the end of the day you have to put the ball into the basket - scoreboard doesn't care how flashy you are going to achieve that, a simple J equls a dunk over 7-footer in my book. I understand that these boards are infested with 12 year olds, obsessed with highligh reels and dunking over people, but basketball consists of more than that unfortunately:rant
you know what....this is a great point. theres not very many guys that could hit jumpers at the rate he did even on screens. not even jordan. your right. fact is that he still must make the shot. but the defense was still bad.

stephanieg
09-27-2009, 12:22 PM

I'll criticize the modern NBA's soft rules as much as the next person but well, yeah, he'd deserve it.

Fatal9
09-27-2009, 02:38 PM
What do you want? Highlights of Bird torching Pippen, Jordan and Grant in the post? Because we can get you those too. Bird is THE most intelligent post player ever. Impossible to double team him because of his passing (Bird would have a 30 point half and in the second half use the post to just pass from the doubles, eg. game 7 vs. Knicks that I posted), impossible to overplay him as he would pick up on it immediately and he is also taller than any SF who defended him so he can easily turn around and shoot, so I can see how he makes it look easy. Couldn't defend him with players 6'10 or taller because he's too quick and skilled. Couldn't play super tight on him because then you are just inviting him to pass. If someone was quick, tall with great defensive instincts, Bird could drain tough shots on you night long (other than Jordan/Kobe, no one is better at creating/making tough perimeter shots than Bird). Just a nightmare to guard on and off the ball. :oldlol: at 75% of Bird's points being team efforts, unless you are talking about just this game. wow. Bird was excellent at moving off the ball and using screens (like Jordan) and got a lot points this way, but 75%? Hilarious. Jordan's scoring efficiency didn't change at all from '86-'89 to '90-93, so apparently that terrible 80s defense continued on in the 90s.

This is to be expected by someone who thinks Pippen's passing ability > Bird's. or Pippen = Bird in the right situation. :oldlol:

97 bulls
09-27-2009, 03:19 PM
What do you want? Highlights of Bird torching Pippen, Jordan and Grant in the post? Because we can get you those too. Bird is THE most intelligent post player ever. Impossible to double team him because of his passing (Bird would have a 30 point half and in the second half use the post to just pass from the doubles, eg. game 7 vs. Knicks that I posted), impossible to overplay him as he would pick up on it immediately and he is also taller than any SF who defended him so he can easily turn around and shoot, so I can see how he makes it look easy. Couldn't defend him with players 6'10 or taller because he's too quick and skilled. Couldn't play super tight on him because then you are just inviting him to pass. If someone was quick, tall with great defensive instincts, Bird could drain tough shots on you night long (other than Jordan/Kobe, no one is better at creating/making tough perimeter shots than Bird). Just a nightmare to guard on and off the ball. :oldlol: at 75% of Bird's points being team efforts, unless you are talking about just this game. wow. Bird was excellent at moving off the ball and using screens (like Jordan) and got a lot points this way, but 75%? Hilarious. Jordan's scoring efficiency didn't change at all from '86-'89 to '90-93, so apparently that terrible 80s defense continued on in the 90s.

This is to be expected by someone who thinks Pippen's passing ability > Bird's. or Pippen = Bird in the right situation. :oldlol:
ive seen these bird "torching" pippen highlights. and they just show pippen and bird going at it. with pip giving just as good as he got. except pip is fighting through screens and picks.

and i wouldnt even want to show bird scoring on an old julius erving as evidence of his greatness. not cuz of what bird was doing but cuz of what julius wasnt doing. not moving his feet and playing smart defense. you see this clown going under screens, giving a great jumpshooter too much room especially when he really had no intention to drive to the basket. its bad defense. it almost looked like he didnt play defense on purpose.

and jordan is a better scorer than bird theres no comparison. i dont even know why bird continues to be brought up.

nosurrender
09-27-2009, 03:23 PM
ive seen these bird "torching" pippen highlights. and they just show pippen and bird going at it. with pip giving just as good as he got. except pip is fighting through screens and picks.

and i wouldnt even want to show bird scoring on an old julius erving as evidence of his greatness. not cuz of what bird was doing but cuz of what julius wasnt doing. not moving his feet and playing smart defense. you see this clown going under screens, giving a great jumpshooter too much room especially when he really had no intention to drive to the basket. its bad defense. it almost looked like he didnt play defense on purpose.

and jordan is a better scorer than bird theres no comparison. i dont even know why bird continues to be brought up.

what else can we expect from a guy with the name "97 bulls"

97 bulls
09-27-2009, 03:28 PM
what else can we expect from a guy with the name "97 bulls"
lol i cant help the fact that i have to set you guys straight sometimes. its obvious you guys dont know basketball. just stats. theres a reason that bird isnt in the goat discussion. or when he is brought up he shot down. no defense. and showing a few clips of birds dominance isnt going to change it. in fact, he wasnt even the best player of the decade. that goes to magic, who beat his ass 2 out of 3 times.

CB4GOATPF
09-27-2009, 04:31 PM

:applause:

godofgods
09-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Bird >>>>>>>> Pippen. Anybody who thinks otherwise is an idiot.
And 91-93 Bulls >>>>>>> 97 Bulls (or any of the 2nd 'threepeat'-> rigged Bulls).

97 bulls
09-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Bird >>>>>>>> Pippen. Anybody who thinks otherwise is an idiot.
And 91-93 Bulls >>>>>>> 97 Bulls (or any of the 2nd 'threepeat'-> rigged Bulls).
wow, the 96-98 bulls were so dominant that the games looked rigged? impressive.

TheGrassIsGreen
09-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Brawl at the Palace changed everything. Once that happened, Stern emasculated the league.

Yeah because losing a handle on your emotions is sooo manly.

1987_Lakers
09-28-2009, 09:51 PM

:applause:

Abraham Lincoln
09-28-2009, 10:18 PM
other than Jordan/Kobe, no one is better at creating/making tough perimeter shots than Bird Nobody was better period.

Psileas
09-29-2009, 05:18 AM
It's too bad that today more remember this game because of the brawl, instead of Bird's performance. It's also bad that many claim that they lost respect for Erving after seeing him doing this stuff.

As players, Bird > Erving, especially in 1983-87. But, when it goes to being classy, the Doc ranks above Larry. This was the absolute bottom for Erving, doing something that probably no-one remembered him ever doing. Compare this to Bird, the constant trash-talker who got into many more similar incidents (this one kept him from having a 50-point game). Of course, Bird's basketball value not only covered this, but instead glorified him even more, because it's cool to be a great player and a badass altogether.

Of course, many will say that they lost respect for Erving hitting Bird while Bird was held by Malone/Barkley. Well, he was furious and it was a general brawl. What was he supposed to do? Order his teammates to leave Bird to him? Watch them throw him down and do nothing? It was a classless move, but it's not Erving's fault that Malone and Barkley quickly ran to the rescue.

(You can watch the start of the brawl at 1:08)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULvo7__wwBU

momo
09-29-2009, 05:40 AM
It's too bad that today more remember this game because of the brawl, instead of Bird's performance. It's also bad that many claim that they lost respect for Erving after seeing him doing this stuff.

I personally do not (and did not then) have any less respect for Doc after this... honestly it was less remarkable then than it is now. It was different then, and the Celts were in a way the bad boys before The Bad Boys... they had a lot of "incidences" .

Johnni Gade
09-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Dr. J being a *****