PDA

View Full Version : want hops

shortballa7
10-22-2006, 10:26 PM
sup im 12 and i want to touch rim, touch net, or in a couple years dunk.im short and My vertical leap is low and i cant touch net:hammerhead: ANYWAYS does anyone know any exercises i can do to get better hops? please help me i wanna skool the tall people at my jr high school. please help me jump higher.

PS i was thinking about buying air alert, would my purchase be worth it?:confusedshrug:

Trickz_1
10-23-2006, 05:02 PM
get dunk now
i get best results with that one

shortballa7
10-23-2006, 06:37 PM
alright man thanks ima get dat ty so much:pimp:

XxNeXuSxX
10-23-2006, 11:01 PM
sup im 12 and i want to touch rim, touch net, or in a couple years dunk.im short and My vertical leap is low and i cant touch net:hammerhead: ANYWAYS does anyone know any exercises i can do to get better hops? please help me i wanna skool the tall people at my jr high school. please help me jump higher.

PS i was thinking about buying air alert, would my purchase be worth it?:confusedshrug:

:roll: First, don't do any kind of program, you will only stunt your growth. Jesus, at least wait until you be 15.

Second, When you do, choose Air Alert

shortballa7
10-24-2006, 07:55 PM
alright dude will programs really stunt my growth? im like 13 and i thought it wouldnt well whateva

littlespyda
10-25-2006, 07:11 PM
:pimp: i reccomend air alert. im 11. im on week 5 and i started out with a 14'' vertical and im now at 15.75''. it's definetly worth the price and it works.

ps
it doesnt stunt your growth!!!

jrt1584
10-25-2006, 08:44 PM
:pimp: i reccomend air alert. im 11. im on week 5 and i started out with a 14'' vertical and im now at 15.75''. it's definetly worth the price and it works.

ps
it doesnt stunt your growth!!!

how in the hell would u know?? You just said that you're 11. U kids should be waiting until your muscles develop a little more to be doing all that training and stuff... :no: Crazy @$$ kids.

XxNeXuSxX
10-28-2006, 01:59 PM
how in the hell would u know?? You just said that you're 11. U kids should be waiting until your muscles develop a little more to be doing all that training and stuff... :no: Crazy @$$ kids.

11, 12, Jesus F*ckin christ. Do NOT do any programs or you will ruin the natural developement in your legs and will, in turn, stunt your growth.

PS: I don't plan on arguing with an 11 year old.

Trickz_1
10-28-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm only 14 but im doing the dunk now programme. But anyway if it does stunt my growth, i dont really mind because i play pg or sg. But i dnt want to be mega tall anyway. but ye as jrt1584 and XxNeXuSxX said dont get any programme until your at least 14-15.

littlespyda
10-28-2006, 04:59 PM
11, 12, Jesus F*ckin christ. Do NOT do any programs or you will ruin the natural developement in your legs and will, in turn, stunt your growth.

PS: I don't plan on arguing with an 11 year old.

thanx but why dont you shut up! do you think im 5!!! and it wont stunt my growth. and dont use f-ckin between jesus and christ you satanist.

XxNeXuSxX
10-28-2006, 06:36 PM
thanx but why dont you shut up! do you think im 5!!! and it wont stunt my growth.

11, five, either way your just a little kid. If you are actually trying Air Alert, and following every set exactly as it states with the correct form you will damage your growth plates because that will be far too strenuous on your undeveloped legs. (EG: Doing 800 burnouts correctly, in one day, will have about a 50% chance of straining your growth plates). What exactly makes you an exception to this? What have you said to back up your statements? Do you even know what a growth plate is? No you don't, because you are 11 and probably being told by a fellow "friend" that you will be able to dunk if you do Air Alert. Well, not only will you not being able to dunk after doing this program, you will never be able to dunk in your lifetime because your legs will never develope.

The correct age to start a high-strenuous program like AA should be around the age of 15, that's around the time when your legs should be developed enough to take the forcefulness of thesehigh intensity plyometric programs.

and dont use f-ckin between jesus and christ you satanist.

I'm not going to respond to this, I'm just going to say you will learn these things called "expressions" in middle school, and they will help you get through life and stop being a d*p**** with an attitude. I'm actually surprised you were aware 'satanist' is a word, props to you. :applause:

Now, I hate to own little kids, but don't talk to me like you know what your talking about when you are, literally, half my age. But maybe now you will understand that what you are doing can and will hurt you later on when you reach puberty and teen years. If you must work on your muscles, you have to be on a low stress program that will naturally make you stronger and faster, such as low weight training combined with running.

guacomole
10-28-2006, 09:40 PM
The correct age to start a high-strenuous program like AA should be around the age of 15, that's around the time when your legs should be developed enough to take the forcefulness of thesehigh intensity plyometric programs.

I need some advice, since you seem to know what your talking about. Im 15, 5'5 and 105lbs, but im in a growth spurt witch i get in about every 6 months or so were i grow up to an inch or less. Im am very skinny, my arms are realy skinny but they are pretty long for my height and my hands are as big as my 6"1 dads. I have been lifting for a few months and ive seen a noticible improvement in my upper body strength. My vertical is about 25" inches, and id like too know if i should do a jump program and wich one would be best.

Twiens
10-28-2006, 11:35 PM
I need some advice, since you seem to know what your talking about. Im 15, 5'5 and 105lbs, but im in a growth spurt witch i get in about every 6 months or so were i grow up to an inch or less. Im am very skinny, my arms are realy skinny but they are pretty long for my height and my hands are as big as my 6"1 dads. I have been lifting for a few months and ive seen a noticible improvement in my upper body strength. My vertical is about 25" inches, and id like too know if i should do a jump program and wich one would be best.

Honestly man, forget the jump program for now. Buy some protein shakes and go hit the weights. Your verts decent already, but you'll never do anything without some size and strength.

Trickz_1
10-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Ok then im just making sure im doing the thing aswell seing as you lot know what you are talking about.

I'm 14, 5-8, weight = 153lbs. Ive been doing weights around 20-30kg in a gym and lifting iron at about 5kg each hand. I do around 300 sit ups a week and around 100 -150 crunches because i wanted better upper body strength.

My vert atm the moment is around 20-25 (i havent measured it) and im doin dunk now.

Is this okay to do or am i overdoing it?

littlespyda
10-29-2006, 12:47 PM
11, five, either way your just a little kid. If you are actually trying Air Alert, and following every set exactly as it states with the correct form you will damage your growth plates because that will be far too strenuous on your undeveloped legs. (EG: Doing 800 burnouts correctly, in one day, will have about a 50% chance of straining your growth plates). What exactly makes you an exception to this? What have you said to back up your statements? Do you even know what a growth plate is? No you don't, because you are 11 and probably being told by a fellow "friend" that you will be able to dunk if you do Air Alert. Well, not only will you not being able to dunk after doing this program, you will never be able to dunk in your lifetime because your legs will never develope.

I'm not going to respond to this, I'm just going to say you will learn these things called "expressions" in middle school, and they will help you get through life and stop being a d*p**** with an attitude. I'm actually surprised you were aware 'satanist' is a word, props to you. :applause:

Now, I hate to own little kids, but don't talk to me like you know what your talking about when you are, literally, half my age. But maybe now you will understand that what you are doing can and will hurt you later on when you reach puberty and teen years. If you must work on your muscles, you have to be on a low stress program that will naturally make you stronger and faster, such as low weight training combined with running.
im not stupid. you can say whatever you want but i am still growing. when i started aa i was 4'9.5'' and now im 4'10''. in one of the reviews i looked at online someguy had his 11 year old son do it. i dont think he would have had him do it if it was going to stunt his growth plates or whatever. also on the aa website it says to be 11 and up. guess what!!! im 11 einstein!!! and i havent done 800 burnouts yet and it is just jumping up and down anyway!!! now i think your just hating on me because your mad that you probably have a 5 inch vert and i have 16.25".:wtf:

XxNeXuSxX
10-29-2006, 01:48 PM
im not stupid. you can say whatever you want but i am still growing. when i started aa i was 4'9.5'' and now im 4'10''. in one of the reviews i looked at online someguy had his 11 year old son do it. i dont think he would have had him do it if it was going to stunt his growth plates or whatever. also on the aa website it says to be 11 and up. guess what!!! im 11 einstein!!! and i havent done 800 burnouts yet and it is just jumping up and down anyway!!!

No kid, I gave you facts, and your choosing to ignore them. It's your choice to be retarded and ignore science and evidence of putting high stress on undeveloped legs. I didn't say you would stop growing the next day you dumb kid, it would slow it down and then eventually stop in a couple years. You are ****ing 4'9 you little brat, in 3 years if you continue doing this program, you will sotp growing when your 14, and be 5'1. That's your choice to make but your stance on it is extremely ignorant because your Falking 11 years old. It's pretty simple to comprehend so I don't see why you don't get it yet, you WILL damage your growth plates while doing Air Alert, it is too advanced for you, period.

i think your just hating on me because your mad that you probably have a 5 inch vert and i have 16.25".:

Kid, shut the f*ck up. I've been over this, I have nearly doubled your god damned verticle, it's 30'. Stop attempting to "belittle" me because it isn't working you spoiled punk. thinking about it, 16.25 is an awful vertical, I can't think of anyone of my friends (granted they are mostly black) under a 20' vertical.

Your legs would/will develop naturally and if you excercise your vertica, in turn, will naturally increase your vertical until your finish developing.

Return the program kid, it's wasting your money, time, and your potential.

XxNeXuSxX
10-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Hey,

I can tell you first off, there is nothing wrong with weight training when you are still growing as long as you stay away from your 1 rep maxes, because that would be too much stress for your muscles. So other than that, feel free to continue weight training.

Second, if your goal is too gain muscle mass, it's extremely important that you keep your dieting up and eat about 6 small meals a day, getting in your protein, fiber, vitamins, calcium, etc. There is also no harm in buying a Whey protein shake to take after workouts, this will help recovery of the muscles and allow quicker gains with quicker recovery time.

Third, the jump programs. You can always wait out your growth spurt if you are worried about stunting your growth, but at 15, your legs may already be ready to take onm the high stress of plyometrics. If you must buy a program, I would indeed suggest Air Alert IV from their website, it's fairly cheap and it has really quick gains. If you choose Air Alert, I would suggest training your legs with weight lifting too just to prepare your legs.

Good luck.

littlespyda
10-29-2006, 02:07 PM
actually i am 4'10'' and dont get all pissed because i keep talking back. and you never told me you had a 30'' vert so dont say we've been over that stupid hater!!!

XxNeXuSxX
10-29-2006, 02:10 PM
actually i am 4'10'' and dont get all pissed because i keep talking back. and you never told me you had a 30'' vert so dont say we've been over that stupid hater!!!

Is that really all you have to say? I'm a hater? I think I would call myself a "realist" and a "mentor" because I'm trying to help you and your being too ignorant to realize it.

Second, don't say someone else is jealous of a 16 inch vertical again please :roll:

Do you want to refute anything I had to say? Or do you finally realize that you are about to f*ck up your life?

littlespyda
10-29-2006, 02:14 PM
i didnt say you were jealous

guacomole
10-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Honestly man, forget the jump program for now. Buy some protein shakes and go hit the weights. Your verts decent already, but you'll never do anything without some size and strength.

Ok thanks just wondering if it was a good idea.

guacomole
10-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Hey,

I can tell you first off, there is nothing wrong with weight training when you are still growing as long as you stay away from your 1 rep maxes, because that would be too much stress for your muscles. So other than that, feel free to continue weight training.

Second, if your goal is too gain muscle mass, it's extremely important that you keep your dieting up and eat about 6 small meals a day, getting in your protein, fiber, vitamins, calcium, etc. There is also no harm in buying a Whey protein shake to take after workouts, this will help recovery of the muscles and allow quicker gains with quicker recovery time.

Third, the jump programs. You can always wait out your growth spurt if you are worried about stunting your growth, but at 15, your legs may already be ready to take onm the high stress of plyometrics. If you must buy a program, I would indeed suggest Air Alert IV from their website, it's fairly cheap and it has really quick gains. If you choose Air Alert, I would suggest training your legs with weight lifting too just to prepare your legs.

Good luck.

Didnt know I had to eat so much,:eek:. I dont think im going to do the jump program . Thanks for the advice.

IlliniFan
11-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Ok then im just making sure im doing the thing aswell seing as you lot know what you are talking about.

I'm 14, 5-8, weight = 153lbs. Ive been doing weights around 20-30kg in a gym and lifting iron at about 5kg each hand. I do around 300 sit ups a week and around 100 -150 crunches because i wanted better upper body strength.

My vert atm the moment is around 20-25 (i havent measured it) and im doin dunk now.

Is this okay to do or am i overdoing it?

5'8 153...that's pretty heavy. Maybe you should hit the gym for some cardio workouts.

Trickz_1
11-04-2006, 06:45 PM
lol, ye i no iam quite heavy but i have a good jump already,

5 foot 8, 153 andmy vert is around 25. i got air alert today FREE!!!!!!! im starting on monday

littlespyda
11-04-2006, 09:17 PM
i guess dont get air alert because it will stunt your growth. hey xxneu...(whatever) reply to my stunt growth thread pleasssseeee!!!

XxNeXuSxX
11-04-2006, 09:23 PM
i guess dont get air alert because it will stunt your growth. hey xxnexusxx...(whatever) reply to my stunt growth thread pleasssseeee!!!

Hey man, what are you asking me?

littlespyda
11-04-2006, 09:26 PM
just look at my pm.

Rameek
11-06-2006, 03:15 AM
these are some of the reasons why americans play bad ball they love to show instead of improving fundamentals...

just my $.02

littlespyda
11-06-2006, 08:59 AM
these are some of the reasons why americans play bad ball they love to show instead of improving fundamentals...

just my $.02
hahahahahaha how many americans are in the nba? alot! how many chinese or hmong or japanese do you see? 1!

BlockShot
11-06-2006, 09:21 AM
hahahahahaha how many americans are in the nba? alot! how many chinese or hmong or japanese do you see? 1!
woah there someone hasnt been doing their research...so there's yao..Ha Seung Jin of the portland trailblazers...there was one japanese guy on the suns at one point....and they're going to draft a LOT more...and what u say about americans outnumbering the asians.....:(

shortballa7
11-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Goddamn All I Wanted To ****in Know Is If I Am 13, Will Doing Air Alert Stunt My Growth Or Not!!!!!!!!!! By The Way Lil Spada Or Whutver Your Name Is U Need To Shut The **** Up Dissin On Other Ball Players That Are 2 Times Better Than You Are Just Stop Talking And Enjoy Being 4 10 For The Rest Of Your Life!

littlespyda
11-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Goddamn All I Wanted To ****in Know Is If I Am 13, Will Doing Air Alert Stunt My Growth Or Not!!!!!!!!!! By The Way Lil Spada Or Whutver Your Name Is U Need To Shut The **** Up Dissin On Other Ball Players That Are 2 Times Better Than You Are Just Stop Talking And Enjoy Being 4 10 For The Rest Of Your Life!
control your temper! geesh! and i am stopping air alert. read the posts and you'll find out if it stunts your growth! i am asking nexus if the phi slamma jamma program stunts growth though which looks alot easier than aa. its free and it's on so if it doesn't look like it will stunt growth than ill do this one. oh also you can do air alert because nexus said it will stop your growth after a couple years and you'll be 15 then but check out phi slamma jamma first. http://www.jumpusa.com/psj.html

BlockShot
11-06-2006, 06:55 PM
control your temper! geesh! and i am stopping air alert. read the posts and you'll find out if it stunts your growth! i am asking nexus if the phi slamma jamma program stunts growth though which looks alot easier than aa. its free and it's on so if it doesn't look like it will stunt growth than ill do this one. oh also you can do air alert because nexus said it will stop your growth after a couple years and you'll be 15 then but check out phi slamma jamma first. http://www.jumpusa.com/psj.html
did you not learn anything from these posts!? let your freakin muscels develop!! and chances are that you already stumped ur growth by a lot, lay off the workouts man:no:

littlespyda
11-06-2006, 07:29 PM
you are stupid!!! oh wait y-o-u a-r-e s-t-u-p-i-d!!! was i talking to you???:pimp:

Rameek
11-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Why are more Europeans being drafted these days because of fundamentals not jumping ability... you are listing asians to a non asian

BlockShot
11-06-2006, 07:54 PM
you are stupid!!! oh wait y-o-u a-r-e s-t-u-p-i-d!!! was i talking to you???:pimp:
:applause: so you CAN spell, im impressed

BlockShot
11-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Lilspyda you talking about how many americans are in the NBA is a complete JOKE. NBA, stands for NATIONAL basketball association. national meaning nation. Last time i cheaked the chinese dont originate from the US of A. and from all of your other posts, all u care about is jumping. i bet you can barly make a layup on a 4 feet fisher price net

littlespyda
11-06-2006, 09:01 PM
thats not true

BlockShot
11-06-2006, 09:19 PM
thats not true
the insult or the stuff bout nba?

littlespyda
11-06-2006, 10:24 PM
i do pay attention to the nba and i can shoot kid 3 pointers (18 feet) so obviously i can make lay ups.

littlespyda
11-26-2006, 01:56 AM
hey shortballa7. i'm sorry that me and nexus took over your thread. i guess we shoulda pm'd each other or somethin'. maybe this well get your thread at the top of the page and get you some more replys.

20 Dimes A Game
01-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Just forget bout dunkin' for now, forget about any programs

work on other aspects of your game

MD23
01-04-2007, 04:20 PM
why do u care so much about vert anyway ur hardly gona be dunking at 4 10 0r whatever u are

FatLossCoach
02-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Go to http://verticaljumptraining.blogspot.com it has the best vert program on the net and its free!

OlDeRaDo_64
03-01-2007, 04:42 PM
:roll: First, don't do any kind of program, you will only stunt your growth. Jesus, at least wait until you be 15.

Second, When you do, choose Air Alert

Im 13 and doin 250 calf stretches a day, is that safe cos i realy wanna grow.. when im 14 ill do 500 and when im 15 ill do 1000, i realy hope it doesnt co ive been doin it for like ages now :( :(

qwerty
03-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Im 13 and doin 250 calf stretches a day, is that safe cos i realy wanna grow.. when im 14 ill do 500 and when im 15 ill do 1000, i realy hope it doesnt co ive been doin it for like ages now :( :(

thats actually really bad for you. you probably already stopped growing. u shouldnt be doing any exercises until your at least 18. i would go to your doctor immediatly.

orfeomorfeo-ita
03-03-2007, 07:20 AM
sheesh! please don't talk nonsense.
olderado, you won't stop growing because of calf stretches.
Let's get clear about this issue once and for all.
"problems with growth" doesn't mean "you'll stop growing"
Trainings so hard to stop your growth are great weight lifting exercises.. not some calf raises..
This doesn't mean that you didn't make a mistake, olderado: the fact is this (again):
connetive tissue (ligaments, and tendons) are slower to reach the complete development than muscles. Moreover, they are far less reactive to training than muscles are. You have to imagine your muscle like an engine attached to two springs. If you train, the muscle will react, and try to increase its properties, that's to say, its strenght. It will become fast a bigger and stronger engine. Unfortunately, tendons and ligaments don't react so quickly, and they spend a longer time to develope. In a developed body (19 yrs and over, at least), ligs. and tends. are strong enough to stand the strenghtening of the muscle. During the big growth phase, when they are already stressed by the lenghtening of the bones, they are not able to stand a great increase of strenght for the muscles. The consequences are injuries like tendinitis, ligaments weakening that could result in a major injury in the future (breaking of the ACL, i.e., is a classic)..
This is why you don't have to exaggerate with strenght increasing. That doesn't mean you have to stop training your strenght. Simply, remember that in your body there are "silently" weak parts, that you cannot force to train.

orfeomorfeo-ita
03-03-2007, 07:22 AM
double post

The Phenom
04-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Dear Lilspyda,

I'm glad that you seem to have come to a truce with Nexus, because it was kind of getting annoying. (Now I'm not one to hate but if any of you guys take offence to this I apologize) As an 11 year old don't you think it was a wise idea to listen to Nexus after all? I'm not saying your stupid or dumb, I'm just saying that instead of having the tiffle in the first place you could've just tried what Nexus said and maybe have saved some of the flaming done around here. I know you would be sick of my little rant so I will conclude with this: Good Job on finally listening Lilspyda :cheers: You proved your not totally immature at all. ;P.

Dear Nexus and other ballers to whom it may concern,

I am 14 years old turning 15 in 4 months and I was wondering if I should do one of these programs, like the one Lilspyda is currently doing or should I just do the few less-strenuous exercises that I have read that will help develop my leg muscles? The exercises in mind are:

orfeomorfeo-ita
04-05-2007, 06:52 AM
[QUOTE=The Phenom]
I am 14 years old turning 15 in 4 months and I was wondering if I should do one of these programs, like the one Lilspyda is currently doing or should I just do the few less-strenuous exercises that I have read that will help develop my leg muscles? The exercises in mind are:

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
04-05-2007, 07:42 PM
touching net is easy. any ~5'6" to 5'7" with average hops can touch net.

KZ_23
04-10-2007, 04:11 AM
My advice is dont use a stupid program. With all the time people look on the internet and search for a program, they could be doing basic leg training and working on their jump. You dont need a stupid program to get hops, just work on it. If you want ideas, just gimme a shout and i'll give you basic training exercises. Dont spend your money on stupid air alert and other programs. Its not worth the money.

mrsulko
07-01-2007, 03:49 PM
I don't know about you but the program that I've had the best experience with
is aware jump. It's at www.aware-jump.com
I'm tired of all that crap out there on improving your vertical game. All these co called "mentors" are just trying to get most of our hard earned money. some programs are costing over $200. We are young and not all of us have that much money. If you are looking for a cheap program that is really effective, look no further and check out aware jump. It will really help you improve you game on a lot of levels.

Chocogrease
07-01-2007, 04:09 PM
dis is off topic, but does ur genes with ur parents matter if u gonna grow tall? like my mom is 5'4 and my dad is 5'9 and my parents say ill grow just a lil bit taller than my dad

otmtheshank
07-01-2007, 04:55 PM
dis is off topic, but does ur genes with ur parents matter if u gonna grow tall? like my mom is 5'4 and my dad is 5'9 and my parents say ill grow just a lil bit taller than my dad

Your mom and dad are both around average height for their gender, so you'll probably grow to around the same height as your dad. However, my mom and dad are 5'8, and 5'7, and I am already 6'1, so it varies from person to person, so you might be able to reach 6 feet or taller.

Chocogrease
07-01-2007, 05:12 PM
alright thx

cantrelle00
07-02-2007, 10:17 PM
well my story is better than all yalls, because i have everything but ups. I am only 15 and im 6'2 and can only tip rim with a finger while my other jv teammates are grabbing rim when they are only 5'11. so i was seriously thinking about buying STRENTH SHOES. and i have been lifting weights for about 3 months now. But i wanna dunk by the time i am 16. So any help would be appreciated@!@

orfeomorfeo-ita
07-03-2007, 05:15 AM
well my story is better than all yalls, because i have everything but ups. I am only 15 and im 6'2 and can only tip rim with a finger while my other jv teammates are grabbing rim when they are only 5'11. so i was seriously thinking about buying STRENTH SHOES. and i have been lifting weights for about 3 months now. But i wanna dunk by the time i am 16. So any help would be appreciated@!@

briefly, because you should learn to check the freaking amount of messages all about the same topic in this forum:

a) liftinq weight at yur age is dangerous. It's too early, and you could risk serious or minor injuries
b) dunking is not a duty. When judgin' an athlete, you often refer to the quality of his "feet".. that means that regardless of his muscular mass, his athletic talent depends on how reactive his feet are. By reactive I refer to a bunch of neuromuscular qualities and abilities that are hardly trainable.
So, if you have slow feet (and I guess you have) either you grow much more than this or you won't dunk. And who cares.
If you wanna dunk only because you wanna dunk, that's stupid.
If you wanna dunk because you think you'd be a better player, you should increase other sides of your play, in particular, at your age it's CRITICAL that you devote the greatest part of your trainin time to coordination, technique, and generally all those abilities that make you play well, not play strong.
Learn the play really well. Then, in a few years, adding muscular mass could have a meaning. Right now, it's a waste and a danger.

otmtheshank
07-04-2007, 05:44 PM
There's nothing wrong with weightlifting at 15-16. You're probably at or quickly approaching your full height. However, still only weightlift/train with those shoes if you're happy with your current height.

orfeomorfeo-ita
07-05-2007, 05:00 AM
There's nothing wrong with weightlifting at 15-16. You're probably at or quickly approaching your full height. However, still only weightlift/train with those shoes if you're happy with your current height.

But what the hell, do you know what you're talkin about?

A) there's nothing wrong with weightlifting at 15-16: Yes, there's a lot wrong. It's dangerous for de muscular, scheletrical and connettive tissue.

B) You're probably at or quickly approaching your full height: No. There's an enormous amount of variables, but growth isn't over until 22.

Please, when you try to be helpful about things that regard also health, be sure you know something about it, instead of giving your fallen-from-the-sky opinion.

otmtheshank
07-05-2007, 11:09 AM
But what the hell, do you know what you're talkin about?

A) there's nothing wrong with weightlifting at 15-16: Yes, there's a lot wrong. It's dangerous for de muscular, scheletrical and connettive tissue.

B) You're probably at or quickly approaching your full height: No. There's an enormous amount of variables, but growth isn't over until 22.

Please, when you try to be helpful about things that regard also health, be sure you know something about it, instead of giving your fallen-from-the-sky opinion.

What are you talking about. There's not much wrong with weight training at 15-16. This is around the time most athletes bodie's have matured, and grown to almost their maximum height. Why do you think they start you lifting weights when you enter high school? Most of the "weightlifting stunts growth talk" is just a myth, it does happen to a very,very, rare person, but various other things can also stunt growth.

Yes, growth doesn't fully come to an end until you're around the age of 20. However, I said if he is comfortable with his height, than it is safe for him to start weight training. I think maybe you got to do some thorough research on this topic before you give people advice like this. You should also look up "connettive and scheletrical tissues" because I'm pretty sure neither exist.

orfeomorfeo-ita
07-06-2007, 06:38 AM
What are you talking about. There's not much wrong with weight training at 15-16.

There is. I'll explain you why.

This is around the time most athletes bodie's have matured, and grown to almost their maximum height.

Height is really different than growth. And I assure you that the 15 yo athletes I train are really far, in their body development, from the 20 yo guys.

Why do you think they start you lifting weights when you enter high school? Most of the "weightlifting stunts growth talk" is just a myth, it does happen to a very,very, rare person, but various other things can also stunt growth.

I don't care how High School organizes its courses, given how it's directed towards finding a quick way to win, and not the best to prepare an athlete for the long term. Auxology explains that big stresses like those generated by serious weightlifting can affect with minor or major injuries the joints. I'll explain you better after..

And obviously weightlifting doesn't stunt growth. The danger isn't that.

Yes, growth doesn't fully come to an end until you're around the age of 20. However, I said if he is comfortable with his height, than it is safe for him to start weight training.

And no it's not. It's not safe.

I think maybe you got to do some thorough research on this topic before you give people advice like this. You should also look up "connettive and scheletrical tissues" because I'm pretty sure neither exist.

I assure you that my advices have good sources. (I'm an athlete, I'm weightlifting since 2000, when I was 17. When I was 20 I had a meniscectomy to resolve a deterioration injury caused by deep squatting. I have a degree in biomedical engineering, and I'm an athletic coach. I train boys and girls from 11 to 15.)

About the tissues. I'm sorry for the bad translations:
Human tissues are divided in 4 big cathegories:

connective tissues (Whops! sorry! I forgot a c. What a jerk I am)
nervous tissue, muscle tissue and epithelium

Connective tissue includes bone tissue (that's what I was referring to)

About the injuries:

Muscle development and connective tissue development are not synchronized during the big growth spurt that takes place with puberty. Bones quickly become longer, but muscles, tendons and ligamens rarely keep up that pace.
So what we have is big bone bulk with muscle stretched on it.
A correct youth training should take great care of this weakness in order to prevent joint injuries (usually hips, knees and ankles are the most sensible joints)
[Apart from the fact that in that age technical and coordination training should be preferred, on account of the highest sensibility in those areas that the body has, compared to the really small it will be left with after 20]

In this critical condition (long bone, short muscle, ligamens and tendons), increasing muscle mass would result in a further stress to be suffered from the tendons, on account of the major muscular tone that the muscle would come to keep. Morevoer the strenght a body would gain, used for its purposes (i.e. Jumping higher, running faster..) would cause bigger stresses for the ligamens and the joints.

Moreover, the very weightlifting exercise (all kinds of squat, olympic lift, horizontal and oblique bench, and other..) put the joints under a stress that the body isn't able to stand.

This stresses result in injuries (acute or chronic), like breaking of the knee's ligamens, strains for muscle and tendons, breaking of the meniscus.

What a youth should do if he wanted to increase his strenght is:

a) execute no-overweights exercises, i.e. running uphill. Generally they are exercises thought to increase strenght without overloading the joints, that lead to a gradual growth for the whole motor system.
b) take care of the elasticity of his muscles, to decrease the injury danger I've explained... this is done through stretching (at the end of the training) and other exercise that actively elongate the muscle (during warm up)
c) learn the techinque of the main whole body weightlifting exercises, like squat, squat jump, olympic lift, snatch (? not sure about the translation), bench.. In a few years (if his body is well developed, but it's not something he can judge by himself) he'll be able to start weightliftings. When that happens, it will be really important (for his strenght growth and for his health) that he has already learned the correct execution of the movements, because wrong execution is another dangerous source of injury.

MOSHiNATOR
07-06-2007, 01:03 PM
ok, im 13 and im 5'4 i just started lifting 8 pound weights like a month ago. Do you think i could upgrade into a more heavy weight and do smaller reps, keep up what im doing, or just completley stop due to "i may be damaging something inside"

any advice would be nice.

:)

orfeomorfeo-ita
07-06-2007, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE=MOSHiNATOR

captobvious
10-03-2007, 05:15 AM
man are you retart or did some one drop you on your head when you were a baby the man/woman knows what there talking about listen to them dumbass

captobvious
10-03-2007, 05:25 AM
god dam man i carnt wait intil you get out of school and on to the streets your going to get bashed because you are a rasict little **** and when people (xxnuxeusxx for example) try to give you advice you try to shut them down you just think your better then every one else with your 16' vert god dam its going to be funny when your 21 years old and your still 4 foot 9 this is directed to little spyder

alx1ndr
10-03-2007, 12:50 PM
sounds to me like orfeomorfeo-ita and xxnexusxx (i think) :P knows what ther talking about. im 14 and i asked my doctor about stuff like that when i sprained a ankle a while ago and he basically said the same stuff to me about the growth stunting and all the plyometric programs.

dnyk1337
10-04-2007, 12:33 AM
I'm 5'10 and weigh around 200 pounds. Basically, my vertical is around 14-16 inches. I can just touch the backboard. I'm 19 btw (just hit). Should I do Air Alert? Or should I just focus on losing the weight and maybe the vert will just get higher by itself?

One thing to people who want to jump higher; learn to play first. I play with so many people that can jump and they suck. I school them with such a low vert it's sad. You can beat the athletic people with fundamentals alone even though it's harder.

pelle
10-26-2007, 05:19 PM
thanx but why dont you shut up! do you think im 5!!! and it wont stunt my growth. and dont use f-ckin between jesus and christ you satanist.
what if some people on here are satanists? how do u feel now? just because u think your religion is the best u dont need to be a little ***** about it

Zak
12-14-2007, 01:13 PM
im not stupid. you can say whatever you want but i am still growing. when i started aa i was 4'9.5'' and now im 4'10''. in one of the reviews i looked at online someguy had his 11 year old son do it. i dont think he would have had him do it if it was going to stunt his growth plates or whatever. also on the aa website it says to be 11 and up. guess what!!! im 11 einstein!!! and i havent done 800 burnouts yet and it is just jumping up and down anyway!!! now i think your just hating on me because your mad that you probably have a 5 inch vert and i have 16.25".:wtf:

First off, stop bragging about your crappy vert. So many people can jump higher than you, including myself and probably many more on the forums.

Also, I'm 13 and my parents/ basketball coach and other people tell me to keep the f*** away from stuff like that.

Also, do you really want to stay at like 4'10, and have weak ass legs just to improve your vert by a couple inches now?

Right now, im just trying to run and do pushups/situps and running and stuff like that to just to become athletic before I can start really working out by the time i'm 16.

jamal99
12-14-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm 17 and I probably jump less than any of you, but I can dunk better than all of you! So STFU and continue growing!!!

K.Koscik
12-30-2007, 03:48 AM
First off, stop bragging about your crappy vert. So many people can jump higher than you, including myself and probably many more on the forums.

Also, I'm 13 and my parents/ basketball coach and other people tell me to keep the f*** away from stuff like that.

Also, do you really want to stay at like 4'10, and have weak ass legs just to improve your vert by a couple inches now?

Right now, im just trying to run and do pushups/situps and running and stuff like that to just to become athletic before I can start really working out by the time i'm 16.

Bit late?

pelle
01-31-2008, 10:49 PM
uhh everybody that says lifting will stunt your growth is full of shi-t. i started lifting 2 years ago i was 5'4 and barely able to touch net. right now im 6'2 and can grab rim

v-unit
02-01-2008, 12:24 PM
uhh everybody that says lifting will stunt your growth is full of shi-t. i started lifting 2 years ago i was 5'4 and barely able to touch net. right now im 6'2 and can grab rim

Shut the **** up.

I bet your only like 14 right now. How stupid do you have to be to weight lift at such a young age. No one does that, it takes so much more time, motivation, dedication and determination especially for someone so young. Everything you need to gain weight is harder because of your low attention spans, and your flip-flopping psychology about your body. You could want to get big at one moment, then a few months later, you want to stop and not do anything.

lakears
02-03-2008, 09:29 PM
The people telling you to wait and not do any programs at such a young age are correct. What's the point of going on some program at 12 when I can guarentee that when you are 16 you will be able to jump alot higher, just because your body developed. Then at 16-20 you could go on a program because at that time you probably grew to jumping the highest you will ever be able to jump without any programs.

Things you can do that won't stunt your growth are little things like riding the bicycle and doing small jumping excercises (like jumping to see how far you are from dunking each day). These things won't stunt your growth.

thepaperboy9
02-23-2008, 10:34 PM
do plyometrics and light weights if you're younger instead of heavy weights.. it won't hurt you.

theparade
02-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Here's my case:
I've been working on my fundamentals for years and years now, and this summer I'm working on getting that extra jump to be able to draw the fouls and be able to finish, as that is my game. I've never done any programs etc. because I'm educated enough to understand that that will stunt my growth plates if I believe I'm correct. Now I'm turning 14 in September, and I'm 115 pounds, 5"6. I still don't plan to do any programs. On a good day, I can touch the red part that connects to the backboard if you understand, since it is around 3/4 inches below the rim.

I'm pretty light at 115 lbs when 5"6, and my arms are thin and my core is okay. Most of my power when shooting and finishing are from my legs. I don't have access to weights and I don't plan to, and my goal is to be able to touch rim. Put myself above the rest of guards in the league. Now any recommendations to what I shall do this summer? Here's what I have in mind.

Step 1: Light run, around 500m to warm up the muscles.
Step 2: Warm up the calfs, hamstrings, quads, etc.
Step 3: Jump rope for 10 minutes.
Step 4: Sit ups 20 x 2 and Pushups 20 x 2
Step 5: Stationary Bike 15 minutes. (I do 12km 30 minutes so around 5/6km)
Step 6: Sit ups 20 x 2 and Pushups 20 x 2
Step 7: Sprint 600m
Step 8: Run lightly and stretch.

Zak
02-24-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm 17 and I probably jump less than any of you, but I can dunk better than all of you! So STFU and continue growing!!!

Listen to this guy, he's 7'1.

No joke.

trig
02-25-2008, 12:02 PM
You guys should just focus on your fundamentals. Learn how to dribble, pass, shoot and how to position yourself. While still young, dont force your body too much. Let your body grow into you. Just keep on practicing and just be fit and healthy. Work on your strength on a latter age

When guys say it will stunt your growth, they don't mean you wont grow anymore, they're just saying you might not reach your maximum height potential.

jamal99
02-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Listen to this guy, he's 7'1.

No joke.

So what???

baseketball4life
02-29-2008, 03:53 AM
So what???
pic or u aint 7'1

jamal99
03-01-2008, 07:23 PM
pic or u aint 7'1

Jus' tell what kind of picture do u want? Standing beside someone? Just tell me what kind of picture will express my height and you'll get it...

Unreal Skill
03-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Jus' tell what kind of picture do u want? Standing beside someone? Just tell me what kind of picture will express my height and you'll get it...

Standing beside a measuring tape holding a sign that says "ISH", a full body shot. Also be good if you can also stand beside a door frame.

Jailblazers7
03-01-2008, 08:49 PM
My advice to all those younger than 15 asking about how to get hops is to work on your game and your skills. Once you hits 15 or 16 get on a good weight lifting program.

KJones
03-01-2008, 09:51 PM
First, we have way to many arm chair quarterbacks giving advice on this topic. You are going to hurt these kids more then you help them. A program like Air Alert is not going to stunt their growth, its habitual jump training, it will lead to imbalances and injuries but won't stunt their growth, for those of you who actually care to research the subject you'll find out that kids who jump a lot while they are developing are taller then kids who don't... Kind of why life basketball and volleyball players are taller then average people, think about it. Air Alert and basic plyo programs won't hurt them. Everyone has given them advice but nobody has told them to go through a proper and full vertical jump test evaluation, which is pretty important since it uncovers power output and biomechanics inefficiencies in single muscle groups, the test is very easy to do but it consist of about 36 jumps and should be completed over the course of two to three days. You also want to go through a movement screen to diagnose imbalances before you start any kind of program or training, any program or trainer that doesn't take you thorough these two test before starting their workouts, should be laughed at then sued for malpractice. Stop feeding these kids information that will get them injured.
http://www.program51.com
http://jumpingj.proboards40.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PxcPllTyRA

theparade
03-02-2008, 02:51 AM
Question:
How does jump rope increase your leaping ability?

mika
03-02-2008, 06:40 AM
Question:
How does jump rope increase your leaping ability?it is more for increasing your conditioning levels, it won't give you significant results if you are trying to jump higher.

KJones
03-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Question:
How does jump rope increase your leaping ability?
Jumping rope will help with conditioning and you will see a small vertical jump increase but it won;t improve you vertical jump ability. Look at it like this If you lay on the sofa and do nothing but watch TV for 3 months then decided to run for 8 weeks, your vertical jump after 8 weeks of running will be higher then it was before you started your running routine simply because your legs are in better condition then they were when you were laying on the sofa. You have not created new motor pathways to improve vertical jump, you are just simply in better condition. At some point you are going to have to participate in a training program or regimen that will develop new motor pathways and neurological adaptations in order to truly improve your capacity to jump higher.
http://www.program51.com
http://jumpingj.proboards40.com/
Check out some dunk and training videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PxcPllTyRA