PDA

View Full Version : Did Magic Johnson defend PG's?

josh99
09-27-2009, 09:08 AM
I haven't watched many games with Magic playing(and none of them live) and didn't really pay much attention who he was guarding.

godofgods
09-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Magic did not play defense dude.

Locked_Up_Tonight
09-27-2009, 09:47 AM
His defense was extremely bad with quicker PGs. But his flaws were not brought to the forefront like players' flaws nowadays are brought to the forefront.

josh99
09-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Oh that's right. He just sat on the bench on defense while his four teammates played and then got back up on offense.

HiphopRelated
09-27-2009, 10:06 AM
he tried

Locked_Up_Tonight
09-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Oh that's right. He just sat on the bench on defense while his four teammates played and then got back up on offense.

Why ask the question if you didn't want the answer? What godofgods said was pretty accurate. He didn't play defense.

Not that "he didn't play defense" tarnishes his greatness as a PG.

magnax1
09-27-2009, 10:40 AM
He sometimes played points on D, but not very often. He was a horrible against quicker points, so they moved him over to guard someone else alot.

jnailwa
09-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Your words are being shared with warmthly comfortable memory.:)
http://www.snagpic.com/users/img/4676/n09x0302vnsn/clear.gif

stephanieg
09-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Magic did not play defense

That's why he got HIV.

TheAnchorman
09-27-2009, 12:26 PM
There was Michael Cooper to pick up the slack, but then again he also guarded good SFs.

G.O.A.T
09-27-2009, 01:15 PM
There was Michael Cooper to pick up the slack, but then again he also guarded good SFs.

Magic could guard all five positions but ws never more then a slightly above average defensive player. He was very quick for his size, but still struggled with quicker guards if they could hit the outside jumper. More often then not Byron Scott would guard the PG and Magic the SG or SF when Cooper came in for Rambis or Worhty or AC in later years.

He was a good help defender because of his anticipation skills and instincts.

The showtime Lakers as a whole didn't need to play a lot of defense because they were such a good rebounding team and so unstoppable on offense. Scott and Worthy off Screens, LAJ in the post, scrappy power forwards who worked the glass and Magic scoring from everywhere.

eliteballer
09-27-2009, 05:27 PM

Yeah...small wonder he led the league in steals:rolleyes:

"Jesus"
09-27-2009, 05:44 PM
That's why he got HIV.
:roll:

DuMa
09-27-2009, 07:11 PM
That's why he got HIV.
that is a pretty hilarious yet accurate assessment. :oldlol:

PistonsFan#21
09-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Magic Johnson used to guard Michael Jordan and shut him down

josh99
09-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Magic could guard all five positions but ws never more then a slightly above average defensive player. He was very quick for his size, but still struggled with quicker guards if they could hit the outside jumper. More often then not Byron Scott would guard the PG and Magic the SG or SF when Cooper came in for Rambis or Worhty or AC in later years.

He was a good help defender because of his anticipation skills and instincts.

The showtime Lakers as a whole didn't need to play a lot of defense because they were such a good rebounding team and so unstoppable on offense. Scott and Worthy off Screens, LAJ in the post, scrappy power forwards who worked the glass and Magic scoring from everywhere.
Thanks. So in today's game would he be called a point-forward?

And to those who say he didn't play defense, I was asking who he guarded, not how well he plays defense.

godofgods
09-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Magic Johnson used to guard Michael Jordan and shut him down

In which system? Nintendo or Sega Genesis?

godofgods
09-27-2009, 09:08 PM
That's why he got HIV.

Post of the week! :cheers: Repped.

G.O.A.T
09-27-2009, 09:15 PM

No he was a pure PG on offense after like 81 or so, whenever Nixon left. Magic would catch the outlet to start the break and if not he'd get them into the offense.

The Lakers sometimes used a line-up of Magic, Worthy, Cooper or AC Green, Mychal Thompson and Jabbar. They essentially played match-up zone with that group and actually ran some half and three quarter court traps on a fairly regular basis.

Against the Bad Boy Pistons Magic guarded Isiah, Joe, Dantley (rarely) Rodman and even Laimbeer.

Again his strength as a defender was away from the ball and his match-up versitility at 6'8"+

GiveItToBurrito
09-27-2009, 09:43 PM

And to those who say he didn't play defense, I was asking who he guarded, not how well he plays defense.

To some extent. As far as playing style, I think he was actually a bit closer to Scottie Pippen than, say, John Stockton, since I remember him posting up a lot, rather than driving and dishing. I could be wrong, though, since I haven't watched him play since I was like eight or nine years old (other than when he came back and played power forward).

CB4GOATPF
09-28-2009, 01:09 AM
To some extent. As far as playing style, I think he was actually a bit closer to Scottie Pippen than, say, John Stockton, since I remember him posting up a lot, rather than driving and dishing. I could be wrong, though, since I haven't watched him play since I was like eight or nine years old (other than when he came back and played power forward).

Something like a mixture between Pippen and Lebron and maybe with some Grant Hill resembles in terms of B-Ball IQ-Timing-Desicion Making

Pippen:

Not the Leaper-Agil, Quick as Pippen but almost as Potent and Alot Stronger

Lebron:

Not the Leaper, as Fast or as Potent...a bit less stronger "maybe" (that is the 96 255 lbs Magic version although. Magic`s natural strength was insane)

But With

- Superior Post Game than All of Them
- Superior Court Vision-Offensive B-Ball IQ-Desicion Making-Timing-Passing Abilities than All of Them
- Superior Handles with Both Hands than All of Them
- More Creative and Talented with the Ball than All of Them (with The Ball that is)

Big#50
09-28-2009, 03:42 AM
His D was his fast break.

whatever666
08-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Something like a mixture between Pippen and Lebron and maybe with some Grant Hill resembles in terms of B-Ball IQ-Timing-Desicion Making

Pippen:

Not the Leaper-Agil, Quick as Pippen but almost as Potent and Alot Stronger

Lebron:

Not the Leaper, as Fast or as Potent...a bit less stronger "maybe" (that is the 96 255 lbs Magic version although. Magic`s natural strength was insane)

But With

- Superior Post Game than All of Them
- Superior Court Vision-Offensive B-Ball IQ-Desicion Making-Timing-Passing Abilities than All of Them
- Superior Handles with Both Hands than All of Them
- More Creative and Talented with the Ball than All of Them (with The Ball that is)

This comes from a longtime Magic Johnson fan and just so happen to like Lebron to.... but im not Magic biased... :)
Will be honest...

Magic was absolutely nothing like Pippen or vice versa... some similarities but just no. The only thing Pippen could do like Magic or do better is defend, heck Pippen is one of the best defenders ever, he towers over Magic in that department.....

The closest talent/skills/versatility at that size to Magic was/is Lebron James.. even from the words of Magic Johnson himself who said that a couple of times... Lebron & Magic are the only players in NBA history who had PG skills at that level at that size 6

whatever666
08-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Hope you dont mind the BUMP guys, just googled my way into this thread somehow searching for Magic Johnson info.... and thought it was interesting.

And if you want a very late answer (to the OP), then the answer is yes and no, Magic did guard some PGs but it was most likely Forwards he would guard.

There is absolutely nothing that says that just because you are PG you have to guard other PGs.... That was not such a big problem, the biggest problem is the poor PGs who had to guard Magic..... sure Magic couldnt guard all speedy gonzales midget PGs as they would blow past him, but at the end of the day its always the taller PG who takes the bigger advantage of the bigger advantage at the other end, offensively....

OldSchoolBBall
08-08-2010, 11:35 PM
This is what happened when Magic tried to defend SG's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2mcFXUOwag

So no, he didn't defend PG's, who are even faster. ;)

AirJordan23
08-08-2010, 11:48 PM
[QUOTE=whatever666]This comes from a longtime Magic Johnson fan and just so happen to like Lebron to.... but im not Magic biased... :)
Will be honest...

Magic was absolutely nothing like Pippen or vice versa... some similarities but just no. The only thing Pippen could do like Magic or do better is defend, heck Pippen is one of the best defenders ever, he towers over Magic in that department.....

The closest talent/skills/versatility at that size to Magic was/is Lebron James.. even from the words of Magic Johnson himself who said that a couple of times... Lebron & Magic are the only players in NBA history who had PG skills at that level at that size 6

DaniloGallinari
08-08-2010, 11:51 PM

Steals=defense now?

Allen Iverson and Larry Hughes are all-time defenders. GTFO

JustinJDW
08-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Magic Johnson and Defense don't go together.

jlauber
08-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Magic's defense was not his strength, but he far from a poor defender. The man was nearly 6-9, and posed problems for smaller guards. He was more of a team defender, than an individual defender, as well. Those Laker teams were never remembered for defense, but in close games, they shut opposing teams down.

xoneatom
08-09-2010, 12:28 AM
That's why he got HIV.
:oldlol:

Fatal9
08-09-2010, 12:35 AM

Saw your comment on that video, Jordan's been crossed up tons of times. Here is old DJ sending him to the floor:

http://i50.tinypic.com/1zx3a4n.jpg

Magic falling is not replayed the same reason Jordan getting sent to the floor isn't, you have to make the shot for it to be a highlight.

EllEffEll
08-09-2010, 12:36 AM

Twice.

KoRn
08-09-2010, 12:46 AM
not good defense, but other were worst. at least at 6'9" he use his wingspan to make it harder for shooters. when he double teams, the defender has to deal with a hard trap instead of a short player which he can throw an easier pass over their head. and he was big enough to help rebound. now with a defender like nash or iverson, what can they do? if you say they can steal passes, magic also did too.

jlauber
08-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Saw your comment on that video, Jordan's been crossed up tons of times. Here is old DJ sending him to the floor:

http://i50.tinypic.com/1zx3a4n.jpg

Magic falling is not replayed the same reason Jordan getting sent to the floor isn't, you have to make the shot for it to be a highlight.

Excellent post.

And let's be honest here, most of these guys are so good offensively, that it is just about impossible to shut any of the down. If good defense could stop good offense, how come teams are routinely scoring 100+ points in a game?

gts
08-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Twice.

he also leads the lakers in career steals with 1724, also #15 all time in the NBA

#3 all time in nba playoff games behind pippen and jordan with 358

Pointguard
08-09-2010, 01:07 AM
No he was a pure PG on offense after like 81 or so, whenever Nixon left. Magic would catch the outlet to start the break and if not he'd get them into the offense.

The Lakers sometimes used a line-up of Magic, Worthy, Cooper or AC Green, Mychal Thompson and Jabbar. They essentially played match-up zone with that group and actually ran some half and three quarter court traps on a fairly regular basis.

Against the Bad Boy Pistons Magic guarded Isiah, Joe, Dantley (rarely) Rodman and even Laimbeer.

Again his strength as a defender was away from the ball and his match-up versitility at 6'8"+

Once Rodman opened up a series against them getting a ton of offensive rebounds. Magic said all you had to do was put a body on him. Magic moved over and did work.

Pointguard
08-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Magic was used strategically in who he guarded. To me it seemed like whoever couldn't shoot. His offense was so aggressive that whoever was guarded by him was already on defensive or worried about how quickly offense turned into defense.

magnax1
08-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Not very often. He usually guarded SFs, and Byron or Nixon guarded the PGs.

He was one of the worst defenders of SFs though too. Just a terrible defender all around.

ProfessorMurder
08-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Once Rodman opened up a series against them getting a ton of offensive rebounds. Magic said all you had to do was put a body on him. Magic moved over and did work.

What series was that? Show me Rodman's numbers please.

Zak
08-09-2010, 03:48 AM
That's why he got HIV.
wow this is one of the funniest posts i've read on this site
:roll: :roll:

repped

Kobe 4 The Win
08-09-2010, 06:08 AM
Magic's defense was not his strength, but he far from a poor defender. The man was nearly 6-9, and posed problems for smaller guards. He was more of a team defender, than an individual defender, as well. Those Laker teams were never remembered for defense, but in close games, they shut opposing teams down.

Fact

Inception
08-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Ofcourse he didn't defend pg's, especially not the faster pg's, that's what guys like Norm Nixon and Byron Scott were there for. Usually Magic would defend a non offensive threat if there was one, Michael Cooper was the main perimeter defender.

Pointguard
08-09-2010, 12:48 PM
What series was that? Show me Rodman's numbers please.

Magic exposed it in a championship series - can't find stats now, '89??? But it was well known and other teams adjusted in the playoffs and kept Rodman off the boards. A few years later I remember because the Knicks '91-92 playoffs, used Magic's call to "put a body on him." Oakly and Mason knocked 8.5 bounds per game off of Rodman's regular season average. This was the year Rod average 18 rpg. It took awhile before Rodman could adjust in the playoffs.

nbacardDOTnet
08-09-2010, 01:09 PM

:lol

I could remember David Wingate.

The Admiral destroyed (LJ and )Wingate. :lol

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/y%20NBA%20etc/1%20San%20Antonio%20Spurs/David%20Robinson/ed9e5abc.gif

Bandito
08-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Magic doesn't even know the meaning of the word Defense.