PDA

View Full Version : Celtics give Rajon Rondo $55 million extension

bagelred
11-02-2009, 08:19 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Av90mtkcMf4Lu9M0kKWx94g5nYcB?slug=mc-rondoextension110109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The Boston Celtics and Rajon Rondo(notes) have reached an agreement in principle on a contract extension, Rondo’s agent, Bill Duffy, said early Monday.

League sources said the extension is for five years and guarantees Rondo at least $55 million. With the two sides facing a Monday deadline to get a deal done, Duffy said he called Celtics president Danny Ainge on Sunday to inform him Rondo was prepared to play out his contract and become a restricted free agent next summer because they weren’t satisfied with the team’s previous offers. Ainge, however, surprised Duffy by responding that Rondo’s contract hopes would be met.

“As much as we were willing to wait his contract out, the Celtics stepped up to the plate to meet the original request,” Duffy said by phone. “This is a really fair contract. We wanted him to be paid like one of the top five point guards around. It also allows the Celtics to maintain continuity to continue to be one of the best teams at this time.”

It's some huge REGULAR NEWS.

What recession?

PleezeBelieve
11-02-2009, 08:29 AM
:roll: @ this guy making 11 mill a year. :eek:

Is this guy definitely better than Delonte?

Serious question.

hawkfan
11-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Terrible contract. Overpaid him by 35%. He's worth about 7 million per year.

Interminator
11-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Wow.

Its not exactly overpaying him because hes still young and by the final 2 years of the contract could become their star player once the Big 3 get old.

PleezeBelieve
This is probably the worst contract on league history. This has made my day.

lukekarts
Good move. It's a lot of money, but the Celtics can't afford to let him become a free agent (no cap space to sign anyone else) and $11m a year is fair for a point guard of his calibre - much less than CP3, D-Wil & Davis, Nash & Arenas, but marginally more than Jason Kidd, Devin Harris, Jose Calderon & Mo Williams.

It's simply a case of making sure he doesn't walk away, as if you look at the players above, its the going rate for a player with his level of production.

PleezeBelieve
11-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Wow.

Its not exactly overpaying him because hes still young and by the final 2 years of the contract could become their star player once the Big 3 get old.
N*gga, what? 11 mill a year isn't overpaying for this guy?

PleezeBelieve
11-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Good move. It's a lot of money, but the Celtics can't afford to let him become a free agent (no cap space to sign anyone else) and $11m a year is fair for a point guard of his calibre - much less than CP3, D-Wil & Davis, Nash & Arenas, but marginally more than Jason Kidd, Devin Harris, Jose Calderon & Mo Williams.

It's simply a case of making sure he doesn't walk away, as if you look at the players above, its the going rate for a player with his level of production.
So basically your entire post rationalizes why they overpaid.

Thanks.

west
11-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Fair deal,he is still very young and have a lot of room to improve.

AJ2k8
11-02-2009, 09:00 AM
N*gga, what? 11 mill a year isn't overpaying for this guy?
How much is Andy V on?:cheers:

KubiliusF
11-02-2009, 09:02 AM
he deserves that

1~Gibson~1
11-02-2009, 09:03 AM
How much is Andy V on?:cheers:
he got around 6-7 mil with incentives.

TruthKGRay3412
11-02-2009, 09:03 AM
WOW..GREAT NEWS..what an awesome way to start off a busy day.:applause: :bowdown:

Rondo’s new deal averages $11 million a season, the same amount San Antonio Spurs All-Star point guard Tony Parker(notes) earned when he signed a six-year, $66 million extension to his rookie contract in 2004. Among members of Rondo’s 2006 rookie class, Portland Trail Blazers All-Star guard Brandon Roy(notes) received a five-year, $80 million contract extension. The Blazers also gave forward LaMarcus Aldridge(notes) a five-year, $65 million extension.

Practically the same deal Parker got..which is fair Rondo is younger and I expect him to be a better player than Parker if he isnt already..In my eyes,he is.If we didnt pay him now,some team would have gave him a crazy contract in the off-season.

dirkdiggler41
11-02-2009, 09:04 AM
90% of the players who sign today is overpaid. It's worth it since they cant afford to sign a new pointguard at the same level this summer. He is also young, play great defense, hustle, find open players etc. Rondo's only problem imo is his shooting.

TruthKGRay3412
11-02-2009, 09:07 AM
:roll: @ this guy making 11 mill a year. :eek:

Is this guy definitely better than Delonte?

Serious question.

Serious question,will Delonte be in the league in 2 more years? Since he has serious issues (I hope he does)..and btw his talent is nowhere near Rondo's..only thing Delonte does better is shoot.

sbw19
11-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Cs secure their rising PG. Good for them.

How much is Andy V on?

Cavs also secured their PF, uh good for AV.

KubiliusF
11-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Serious question,will Delonte be in the league in 2 more years? Since he has serious issues (I hope he does)..and btw his talent is nowhere near Rondo's..only thing Delonte does better is shoot.

you hope for someone to have issues

TruthKGRay3412
11-02-2009, 09:23 AM
you hope for someone to have issues

I hope he stays in the league.

DukeDelonte13
11-02-2009, 09:23 AM

Delonte gets to the basket and defends better too. Rondo is quicker, but Delonte is harder to guard cause he is a lefty.

But Rondo is a way better PG, and overall player.

bagelred
11-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Bad news for the Knicks. Another player out of 2010 running for either Knicks to get (which wouldn't happen anyway) or other teams to use cap space on. Darn.

Yes, all transactions must be seen on how it affects the Knicks.:lol

PleezeBelieve
11-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Lol at people not being in shock and awe at this ludicrous extension.

Delonte gets 4 mill a year. Ariza makes 6.5 mill a year. BOTH are arguably better than Rondo...and no one is dismayed here?

11 f*cking mill a year?

Seriously?

HylianNightmare
11-02-2009, 09:38 AM
good fro rondo

Knicks101
11-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Bad news for the Knicks. Another player out of 2010 running for either Knicks to get (which wouldn't happen anyway) or other teams to use cap space on. Darn.

Yes, all transactions must be seen on how it affects the Knicks.:lol

He doesn't fit our system anyway.

Delonte gets 4 mill a year. Ariza makes 6.5 mill a year. BOTH are arguably better than Rondo...and no one is dismayed here?

11 f*cking mill a year?

Seriously?

He's so overrated that he would've gotten more than as a free agent. The Celtics are just trying to lock him up now.

JohnnySic
11-02-2009, 09:40 AM
A bit more than I expected (I was thinking around $9 million per) but its still not that outlandish, and it amy even seem like a bargain towards the end when this run is over.

bagelred
11-02-2009, 09:41 AM
The reason he got his money is because the Celtics are gunning for a title the next 3 years or so, and it would be impossible to get a PG of his quality in open market. So they had to pay him.

It's that simple. If you just "let him go", that could ruin Boston's championship run. If Rondo is the difference between titles or no titles, then it's worth it. If he's overpaid in 3 years, you can try to trade him then, when Allen, Pierce, and KG are old or retired.

PleezeBelieve
He doesn't fit our system anyway.

He's so overrated that he would've gotten more than as a free agent. The Celtics are just trying to lock him up now.
Dude would not have gotten this deal on the open market.

DukeDelonte13
Celts can afford it. I don't see what the big deal is.

2LeTTeRS
11-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Bill Duffy used the media to perfection. That was a great job of getting leverage to get his client the deal they wanted all along. A+ agenting right there.

PleezeBelieve
11-02-2009, 09:49 AM
If Rondo is worth 11 mill just cause he fits Boston's system - - I guess Jameer Nelson is worth 10 mill a year playing in the Magic's system. :rolleyes:

B-Diddy=2Easy
11-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Terrible. Rondo isn't worth 11 mill a year. CP3 said it best.. Rondo is fortunate to be playing with the big 3.

west
11-02-2009, 09:51 AM
If Rondo is worth 11 mill just cause he fits Boston's system - - I guess Jameer Nelson is worth 10 mill a year playing in the Magic's system. :rolleyes:
If Mop head is worth 7-8 million per then Rondo is worth 11 million per.

DukeDelonte13
11-02-2009, 09:52 AM

Bigs and Smalls....

west
11-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Bigs and Smalls....
A big that can do nothing but flop.

PleezeBelieve
11-02-2009, 09:58 AM
You're paying 11 mill a year to a guy LeBron makes a highlight block against everytime they play. A guy Delonte shuts the f*ck down everytime they matchup.

And you talking about Andy?

Boston is the laughing stock of the NBA right now. :oldlol:

west
11-02-2009, 09:59 AM
You're paying 11 mill a year to a guy LeBron makes a highlight block against everytime they play. A guy Delonte shuts the f*ck down everytime they matchup.

You are the laughing stock of the ISH right now.:oldlol:

DukeDelonte13
11-02-2009, 10:01 AM
A big that can do nothing but flop.

Quit hating and watch Andy play. I'll take his 50+ offensive fouls drawn a year while you cry "flopper!" over and over again.

west
11-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Quit hating and watch Andy play. I'll take his 50+ offensive fouls drawn a year while you cry "flopper!" over and over again.
I'm not hating,just because he drawn 50+ charges a year doesn't mean he worth 7-8 million per.
Just go ask any real Cavs fan,they will tell you how terrible his contract is.

DukeDelonte13
11-02-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm not hating,just because he drawn 50+ charges a year doesn't mean he worth 7-8 million per.
Just go ask any real Cavs fan,they will tell you how terrible his contract is.

All real cavs fans know that Andy is a beast on the defensive end, and 42 mill for 6 years isn't a bad deal for him.

west
11-02-2009, 10:12 AM
All real cavs fans know that Andy is a beast on the defensive end, and 42 mill for 6 years isn't a bad deal for him.
From some of the most respected Cavs fans on this board.(not PB of course)

WTF are Ferry/Gilbert thinking? :hammerhead: Just when I was starting to think they had their sh!t together.

God help us...

He isn't worth any more than the MLE. :hammerhead: If this is what he was asking, it should have been a no-brainer to let him walk. :hammerhead:

This is absolute ****!ng horsesh!t. I can't believe we just did this. I hate this guy. I hate his flopping, I hate the way he attempts to play offense, and I hate the fact that he gets 30 minutes a game when the truth of the matter is, he's a 15 MPG energy guy.

He's not going to get any better. He is who he is. I am a guy who tries to look at the glass as being half full, but I really can't with this.

Hahaha, we deserved to get laughed at for this. :roll:

DukeDelonte13
11-02-2009, 10:15 AM
From some of the most respected Cavs fans on this board.(not PB of course)

That was probably before the details of the deal came out, and the headlines all said we gave him 55 million, which is kinda a BS price to pay for him. But as details came out most of the top end was all incentive based, so it really works out to be a 7 mill a year deal, which isn't bad at all. So 4 posters represent the entire cavs fan base in your opinion?

TruthKGRay3412
11-02-2009, 10:17 AM
I just want to say again how happy I am for this deal to get done..the perfect money for the perfect PG..Parker makes more money and I think Rondo is the better player overall..soon to be a 1st time all-star this year and many many more to come after.If we lost Rondo,we have no PG of his caliber for YEARS to come..he is one of the Top 5 PG's in the league and we just locked him up for 5 years..if we didnt sign him,some team would of gave him a crazy contract for missing out on the LeBron,Bosh and Wade stakes.
:cheers:

DukeDelonte13
11-02-2009, 10:19 AM
I just want to say again how happy I am for this deal to get done..the perfect money for the perfect PG..soon to be a 1st time all-star this year and many many more to come after.If we lost Rondo,we have no PG of his caliber for YEARS to come..he is one of the Top 5 PG's in the league and we just locked him up for 5 years.
:cheers:

Boston needed to get this done IMO. I don't think the fans would have been happy if Rondo got away.

west
11-02-2009, 10:20 AM
That was probably before the details of the deal came out, and the headlines all said we gave him 55 million, which is kinda a BS price to pay for him. But as details came out most of the top end was all incentive based, so it really works out to be a 7 mill a year deal, which isn't bad at all. So 4 posters represent the entire cavs fan base in your opinion?
There you go.:oldlol:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139081

DukeDelonte13
11-02-2009, 10:21 AM
There you go.:oldlol:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139081

So the thread is pretty much exactly what i said? People freaking that we supposedly gave him 11mill a year?

TruthKGRay3412
11-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Boston needed to get this done IMO. I don't think the fans would have been happy if Rondo got away.

Rondo is crazy good at his age and improving everyday,he already proved he is capable of winning a championship as the starting PG in his 2nd year in the league and he has gotten a lot better since 2008..IMO he is being paid the fairest amount possible..not to low and not too high..There is only 2 PG's in the NBA i'd rather have running the Celtics for 5 years rather than Rondo and that's CP3 and Chris Paul.

west
11-02-2009, 10:25 AM
So the thread is pretty much exactly what i said? People freaking that we supposedly gave him 11mill a year?
Read from page 16.
You believe what you wanna believe,like i said,if you think Mop head is worth 7 million per then Rondo is worth 11 million per.

'Toine=MVP
11-02-2009, 10:28 AM
55 Million is a fine price to pay, whether it is incentive-laden or not. He is certainly in the argument for 3rd best point guard in the league right now (no worse than 6 or 7), and he has room for improvement (shooting).

DukeDelonte13
11-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Read from page 16.
You believe what you wanna believe,like i said,if you think Mop head is worth 7 million per then Rondo is worth 11 million per.

After page 16 the only ppl complaining are non cavs fans. I never said Rondo was overpaid. :confusedshrug:

west
11-02-2009, 10:32 AM
After page 16 the only ppl complaining are non cavs fans. I never said Rondo was overpaid. :confusedshrug:
/thread.

TruthKGRay3412
11-02-2009, 10:34 AM
from celticsblog.com

I couldn't be happier for the guy and for the team. I understand the value of getting the lowest contract terms possible to build a team within the financial constraints of the salary cap and all that. But at the end of the day, the sides were just a few million apart and it seems like the Celtics decided to pay the extra 5 million or so to get it done. Hats off to Bill Duffy who did his client well.

I think that Rondo has proven that he's a very competitive player and that he'll work hard to continue improving and pushing for another championship, despite the fact that he's now set for life (provided he doesn't follow Antoine's lead).

Considering the market for other players, I'd say the deal was pretty fair.

"Rondo's new deal averages $11 million a season, the same amount San Antonio Spurs All-Star point guard Tony Parker earned when he signed a six-year, $66 million extension to his rookie contract in 2004. Among members of Rondo's 2006 rookie class, Portland Trail Blazers All-Star guard Brandon Roy received a five-year, $80 million contract extension. The Blazers also gave forward LaMarcus Aldridge a five-year, $65 million extension."

And if the Celtics overpaid by $5M to get it done, that's worth it to me considering the fact that there was always that risk that he would have gotten a max offer on the (restricted) open market next year. Sure, some restricted free agents have mostly been getting less money in the market this year, but that doesn't mean next year will be the same (especially with the new collective bargaining agreement coming up). By locking Rondo up, the Celtics managed their risk.

Rondo is one of the best point guards in the game and he's a critical piece to the championship hopes of this current core group of veterans. Of course (Lord willing) he'll be playing long after this group retires and for the Celtics he represents a critical building block for the future. As long as Perk's body holds up, we've got a solid center and a top notch point guard to build a team around.

This move also appears to lock the Celtics into a strategy that does not involve being players in the free agent market next year (except with the MLE). It also might make them more willing to take on short term salary via trade in order to upgrade the talent level of the team for the next 2 to 3 years. Hopefully it also marks the end of the Rondo trade rumors as well (at least for the near future).

As a big Rondo fan, I've got a big smile on my face today. As a Celtics fan, I can only hope that whatever maturity issues he's had in the past remain in the past. It worked for Paul Pierce and it could work for Rondo. I hope they are both Celtics for life.

Putting things into perspective, of all the high dollar figure extensions this year given to those who were in their rookie contracts, Rondo is getting paid:

$1 million more a year than Andrea Bargnani
$2 million less a year than Lamarcus Aldridge
$5 million less a year than Brandon Roy

I think it's fair, if not a very good deal for the Celts.

Darius
11-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Overpaid? Rondo is a very good player. This is a fair contract.

lukekarts
11-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Listen guys, this is definitely a fair price, especially when you consider:

Non-Rookie Point Guards by annual salary (average):

1. Gilbert Arenas - $19m
2. Chris Paul - $15.6m
3. Deron Williams - $15.6m
4. Baron Davis - $13.5m
5. Chauncey Billups - $13m
6. Steven Nash - $11m
7. Rajon Rondo - $11m
8. Monta Ellis $11m
9. Jose Calderon - $9.6m
10. Kirk Hinrich - $9m
11. Devin Harris - $8.8m
12. Mo Williams - $8.8m
13. Jason Kidd - $8.5m
14. TJ Ford - $8,5m
15. Jameer Nelson - $7m
16. Beno Udrih - $7m
17. Andre Miller - $6.5m
18. Mike Bibby - $6m
19. Chris Duhon - $6m
20. Derek Fisher - $5m

Basically, he'll become the 7th best Point Guard in the NBA. Of those above him, 4 are significantly older, and only 4 are significantly better. Below him, I very much doubt the Celtics would rather have any other point guard. The only debatable ones would be Devin Harris and Jameer Nelson, but neither are defensive experts or as good at passing. Kidd may be a better passer, but when you consider he's closer to 40 than Rondo is to 30, you can see why he's getting paid.

A fair price for one of the best young point guards in the NBA today.

MMM
11-02-2009, 11:18 AM
He is a border line top 5 PG currently probably around 7th so I think it falls withing an adequate price range.

PleezeBelieve
11-02-2009, 11:20 AM
This dude averages 6.5/5/11.8

People think that assist number will hold up for a whole season?

Dude is a 11/6/9 player AT BEST.

At best.

So that's worth 11 mill a year?

Are you f*cking kidding me. Dude just signed an extension for f*cking 11 mill a year. LMAO.

PleezeBelieve
11-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Rondo just caled this extension based on ONE THING.

His series against Chicago. A Chicago team that had a putrid frontline.

Lol @ the idiocy being displayed in this thread. Teams don't gameplan for Rajon Rondo. You dont pay 11 mill a year to a player that teams don't gameplan for.

MMM
11-02-2009, 11:40 AM
This dude averages 6.5/5/11.8

People think that assist number will hold up for a whole season?

Dude is a 11/6/9 player AT BEST.

At best.

So that's worth 11 mill a year?

Are you f*cking kidding me. Dude just signed an extension for f*cking 11 mill a year. LMAO.

11/6/9 is what he got last year as a 3rd year PG I doubt that he doesn't improve more then that here on out.

DuMa
11-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Rondo doesnt make that many mistakes and does a lot things that wont reflect on the stat sheet.

KG215
11-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Lol @ the idiocy being displayed in this thread.

And almost all of it is coming from you.

How you fail to see Rondo's value is mind blowing. He's not going to score 20 a game, so what! Boston has 3 other guys who can do that and two others who are good for around 15 a game. Rondo also gets 1-3 steals a game, and seems to come down with several timely offensive boards each game. He runs the Celtic offense very nicely, and like it's been pointed out on here, he's probably in the 5-7 range as far as PG ranks go in the NBA, and he's being paid as the 5th-7th best PG in the league. He's also considerably younger than some of the guys that are getting paid more than him, has already won a championship, and does nothing but show improvement each year.

I can't believe you continue to get on here and make yourself look this insanely foolish.

bagelred
11-02-2009, 12:02 PM
There is only 2 PG's in the NBA i'd rather have running the Celtics for 5 years rather than Rondo and that's CP3 and Chris Paul.

Actually my list is 4 long: Chris Paul, CP3, Mr. Christopher Emmanuel Paul, and the black dude that plays for the Hornets.

quasimoto
11-02-2009, 12:08 PM
I hope they won't regret this when the big three are gone. IMO he's not good enough to be first or second option for a contender.

KG215
11-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Actually my list is 4 long: Chris Paul, CP3, Mr. Christopher Emmanuel Paul, and the black dude that plays for the Hornets.

Don't forget Christopher Paul I.

JohnnySic
11-02-2009, 12:31 PM
I hope they won't regret this when the big three are gone. IMO he's not good enough to be first or second option for a contender.
By the time the Big 3 are gone, this contract will be about halfway over if not almost done.

boozehound
11-02-2009, 12:43 PM
By the time the Big 3 are gone, this contract will be about halfway over if not almost done.
frankly, I'll be surprised if the big 3 are considered that even next season. Ray will turn into an even more one-dimensional player (but what a dimension!), PP will still be solid, but I expect to see a massive drop off in production from KG sometime relatively soon.

IS rondo overpaid? Sure, a little. But hes a hard-nosed and effective pg who does everything except shoot extremely well. Now, what happens when the team doesnt have the offensive threats it currently has? That remains to be seen.

DuMa
11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
I hope he doesnt stop playing like he has now that he has a big contract like so many other players that got paid.

lukekarts
11-02-2009, 12:55 PM
I hope he doesnt stop playing like he has now that he has a big contract like so many other players that got paid.

Fortunately, I think he's on the team where that is least likely to happen.

ihatetimthomas
11-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Rajon Rondo is already one of the best pg's out there. He is young, quick and has a lot of experience already. His knock is his jumper, but he is improving on that. He is a great rebounding point guard, and has ran this Celtic team well in the past few season. 11 million is not that bad for one of the highest potential point guards in the league who has already proven a lot. He is a pest defensively, and can find the open man. Not many people are worth the contracts they signed this offseason, but Rondo is worth it imo.

Toizumi
11-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Congrats to Rondo and the Celtics for coming to a deal. :applause: I hope we can look back in 5 years and come to the conclusion that he was worth the 55 Mil.

I have a feeling that he's gonna finish top 3 in APG this season and might win the assist title. He has so many scorers around him and is the only true PG on that team. We'll see.

beasted86
11-02-2009, 01:11 PM
This is overpaying this guy.

He's not worth more than $10M a season under any circumstances. The $9M offer should have been their final offer. If he didn't want to take it... they should have traded him.

MMM
11-02-2009, 01:23 PM

He's not worth more than $10M a season under any circumstances. The $9M offer should have been their final offer. If he didn't want to take it... they should have traded him.

The Celtics are in win mode now with out Rondo they are not contenders and there is no guarantee that they could get a Pg as good in return.

ProfessorMurder
11-02-2009, 01:27 PM
I called it, 55-60 million.

Perfect price. They won't get a better point guard for that money, plus he's constantly improving, facilitates, and works very hard. I'm pumped the deal was made. :cheers:

Side note: Why am I not shocked that PB and Spudgay are b*tching about this?

MMM
11-02-2009, 01:34 PM

a top 10 PG is not worth 10 mill a year. If Calderon can get close to 10 mil the Rondo getting a bit more then 10 mill is not a stretch at all.

beasted86
11-02-2009, 01:39 PM
a top 10 PG is not worth 10 mill a year. If Calderon can get close to 10 mil the Rondo getting a bit more then 10 mill is not a stretch at all.
So who says Calderon isn't overpaid also?

Rondo is worth pretty much exactly what Devin Harris got, which was 5yr $42. He's not $2M+ per year better than Devin Harris.

PleezeBelieve
11-02-2009, 01:49 PM
LMAO @ Celtic Fan using overpaid player salaries to validate this abysmal contract extension that's mpre than all the examples they bring up even though its not without argument that Rondo is clearly better than the players they bring up in the first place.

Oh, wow....

stephanieg
11-02-2009, 02:11 PM
One of the most productive PGs in the league gets paid. Film at 11.

bdreason
11-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Rondo is a good PG... but he isn't worth 11 million per year. I would have given up to 9 million a year.

There are a lot of worse contracts in the league than Rondo making 11 million a year.

ChuckOakley
11-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Great deal for both sides IMO.

-Rondo is the best PG in the East until Rose matures, or Arenas proves he's truly healthy and keeps up his blistering pace
-Rondo is one of the best fits at PG for the C's period
-Several teams could have made higher offers this summer

If I were a team with alot of money next summer and couldn't land LBJ, Wade, Bosh, Amare or JJ, I would have offered him up to 12m per.

TruthKGRay3412
11-02-2009, 02:24 PM
People realize Ainge offered 9m per right? Rondo declined,whats Ainge supposed to do let him walk and get a max contract in the off-season from the Knicks or another team? Ainge had to throw in the extra millions to keep him in a Boston uniform there is no other PG's on Rondo's level who will be available to the Celtics for what he signed for..NONE..

and Jsah/Pleezebeilieve really is an idiot,let's let Rondo walk and sign an aging vet for the MLE next season,yeah that would work wonders..dumb ass doesnt realize Rajon is one of the best pure PG's in the league at age 24 who deserves every penny of his contract..you must be still butt hurt when you came to realize the Cavs have no chance to beat the Celtics this year.

TruthKGRay3412
11-02-2009, 02:25 PM
If I were a team with alot of money next summer and couldn't land LBJ, Wade, Bosh, Amare or JJ, I would have offered him up to 12m per.

Ainge is a very smart GM,he knew Rondo would most likely get a max contract offer from a team missing out on the superstar sweepstakes..he had to give up the extra millions to keep him in Green.

KG215
11-02-2009, 02:28 PM
LMAO @ Celtic Fan using overpaid player salaries to validate this abysmal contract extension that's mpre than all the examples they bring up even though its not without argument that Rondo is clearly better than the players they bring up in the first place.

Oh, wow....

It's not clear that he's worse than those PG's either. He may be overpaid, but then again, so are most of the top 10-12 PG's in the league.

After CP3, Deron Williams, Nash, Billups, and maybe Parker, tell me a PG you can definitively argue is better and more valuable to their team than Rondo?

Why in the world would they not offer him an extension? Boston wants to win a title sometime in the next three years. If they don't get him to sign an extension this year, not only do they lose him to another team that is probably going to pay him just as much or more than $11M a year, but ehy have to basically start over by either getting lucky in the draft, or hoping they can afford a PG of equal value on the FA market next summer. (Which they can't.) If they go via the draft to get a PG, then they have to wait 2 or 3 years for him to develop, because they aren't going to get a high enough draft pick to get a sure thing like John Wall, and that ultimately ruins what little run Boston has left in the Big 3.

Rondo is good for 8-12 points a night, 10+ assists, 1-3 steals, and runs the Boston offense so effeciently.

I'm new around here, but it is coming very clear that you either have an agenda against the Celtics, or you really are as stupid as the first impression you made on me. Quit running circles and trying to defend the Cavs players that are overpaid, and try to say West is clearly better than Rondo, because he's not. You are making yourself look more and more foolish with each post.

RajonKGcelts
11-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Good deal. This will be a steal in a few years.

RajonKGcelts
11-02-2009, 02:30 PM
It's not clear that he's worse than those PG's either. He may be overpaid, but then again, so are most of the top 10-12 PG's in the league.

After CP3, Deron Williams, Nash, Billups, and maybe Parker, tell me a PG you can definitively argue is better and more valuable to their team than Rondo?

Why in the world would they not offer him an extension? Boston wants to win a title sometime in the next three years. If they don't get him to sign an extension this year, not only do they lose him to another team that is probably going to pay him just as much or more than $11M a year, but ehy have to basically start over by either getting lucky in the draft, or hoping they can afford a PG of equal value on the FA market next summer. (Which they can't.) If they go via the draft to get a PG, then they have to wait 2 or 3 years for him to develop, because they aren't going to get a high enough draft pick to get a sure thing like John Wall, and that ultimately ruins what little run Boston has left in the Big 3.

Rondo is good for 8-12 points a night, 10+ assists, 1-3 steals, and runs the Boston offense so effeciently.

I'm new around here, but it is coming very clear that you either have an agenda against the Celtics, or you really are as stupid as the first impression you made on me.

and around 5 rebounds a game, per season

obonpaxis
11-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Rondo is an above-average point guard but not elite, and I think his deal reflects that. It's not a bad contract.

And it's not like the Celtics are shackled to the Big 3 in perpetuity. Ray Allen is a free agent after this season, right? And Pierce is a FA in '11 and Garnett in '12.

Those contracts will be off the books pretty soon. It's a low risk-high yield scenario for the Celtics.

Ainge has done a damn good job.

crisoner
11-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Rondo is an above-average point guard but not elite, and I think his deal reflects that. It's not a bad contract.

And it's not like the Celtics are shackled to the Big 3 in perpetuity. Ray Allen is a free agent after this season, right? And Pierce is a FA in '11 and Garnett in '12.

Those contracts will be off the books pretty soon. It's a low risk-high yield scenario for the Celtics.

Ainge has done a damn good job.

Booooyah

Great deal for the Celts though. Got to give Ainge his props.

1Time4YourMind
11-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Finally they got him down as the future of the franchise. We'll see how he pans out as the new decade comes along.

haterofhaters
11-02-2009, 03:14 PM
The next question is, which one of the big 3 is gonna be let go of in the coming years.. I would tend to guess that it would be Ray Allen.

RajonKGcelts
11-02-2009, 03:19 PM
The next question is, which one of the big 3 is gonna be let go of in the coming years.. I would tend to guess that it would be Ray Allen.

PP will def get resigned, KG too i think. Hopefully Ray stays for the right price, a guard like Rondo that always looks for him on the break will really extend his career

ChuckOakley
11-02-2009, 03:26 PM
PP will def get resigned, KG too i think. Hopefully Ray stays for the right price, a guard like Rondo that always looks for him on the break will really extend his career

How much do you think Allen will get?

RajonKGcelts
11-02-2009, 03:33 PM

i wanna take a stab at it but i have no idea haha. i love ray but i don't want them to overpay

pete's montreux
11-02-2009, 03:33 PM
PP and KG will both sign for intermediate contracts. Not sure about Ray.

lilbeastnani
11-02-2009, 03:38 PM
I believe Ray's agent will probably try to get him 10 mill/yr... and when the Celtics offer him 6-7 he might walk. Either that or they do like the suns did with Nash and give him like 2 yr, 20 mill.

DLeagueWannabe
11-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I believe Ray's agent will probably try to get him 10 mill/yr... and when the Celtics offer him 6-7 he might walk. Either that or they do like the suns did with Nash and give him like 2 yr, 20 mill.

Seriously, Ray will get around 2 yrs 25 mill. He's still Ray Allen, and the C's want rings.

spursdynasty420
11-02-2009, 03:43 PM
i bet chris paul is spinning in his whiney boots right now

DLeagueWannabe
11-02-2009, 03:47 PM
i bet chris paul is spinning in his whiney boots right now

Yea right, Paul's gonna get like 20 mill per. He has no care in the world.

This it the NBA, We're all rich, f*ck the Bullsh*t.

lilbeastnani
11-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Seriously, Ray will get around 2 yrs 25 mill. He's still Ray Allen, and the C's want rings.
It doesn't matter if they want rings, with this economy and the cap presumably about to go down to about 50-53 mill they can't afford to pay Pierce/KG/Allen/Rondo all 10+ million contracts... Imagine monopolizing 90% of the cap on 4 players, it's not possible.

spursdynasty420
11-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Yea right, Paul's gonna get like 20 mill per. He has no care in the world.

This it the NBA, We're all rich, f*ck the Bullsh*t.

he has no care in the world?? did you not hear about him trying to rush into the celtics locker room after rondo yesterday??

thats what I made that comment :P

beasted86
11-02-2009, 03:53 PM
It doesn't matter if they want rings, with this economy and the cap presumably about to go down to about 50-53 mill they can't afford to pay Pierce/KG/Allen/Rondo all 10+ million contracts... Imagine monopolizing 90% of the cap on 4 players, it's not possible.
Go ask the Lakers about Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, and Odom ($65M combined) monopolizing 115% of the cap on 4 players.

boozehound
11-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Go ask the Lakers about Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, and Odom ($65M combined) monopolizing 115% of the cap on 4 players.
it only works if you already have other players locked in as well. a team like NY (who is making capspace by jettisoning players) would be screwed if they tried to do the same.

DLeagueWannabe
11-02-2009, 03:58 PM

Yup. Sometimes you just have to go over budget.

lilbeastnani
11-02-2009, 04:00 PM
It was reported in the Boston news that Rondo went to congratulate some of the C's players after the game and then Rondo started jawing at him, so that's what sparked it off.

lilbeastnani
11-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Ray Allen is a shooter and nothing else. One of the greatest shooters in history yes, but a lot more replacable than Kobe, Odom, Gasol, or Bynum.

Splitz77
11-02-2009, 04:21 PM
You guys are stupid. Rajon Rondo is one of the top PG in the leauge. This aint over paying him. He's worth that much money.

Floppy
11-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Good job by the Celtics. Rondo is the perfect fit for them and his jumper looks way better than last season. He'll be a top 3 PG in a year.

The Big Skinny
11-02-2009, 04:41 PM

the same laughing stock of the NBA that is 4-0 and completely dismantling every team they have faced....

B-Diddy=2Easy
11-02-2009, 05:36 PM

Kid, are yous seriously fcking retarded?. There is NO WAY IN HELL a 35 year-old SG, who plays no defense, can't score one-on-one and brings nothing to the table except offense, is commanding 12.5 million dollars a season. You would have to be a God damn moron to believe that. At age 35, Ray Allen at best should be your 3rd best player on your team.

west
11-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Ray worth no more than 6-7 million per.

'Toine=MVP
11-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Kid, are yous seriously fcking retarded?. There is NO WAY IN HELL a 35 year-old SG, who plays no defense, can't score one-on-one and brings nothing to the table except offense, is commanding 12.5 million dollars a season. You would have to be a God damn moron to believe that. At age 35, Ray Allen at best should be your 3rd best player on your team.

i don't think he'll get that much either, but he is actually a pretty good defender. he did very well against kobe in the finals (even though he is hardly credited for it, he was kobe's primary defender). he has done well against other good shooting guards since he has come to boston as well. part of his reputation as being a poor defender comes from years when he was asked to do way too much on offense and for whatever reason, did not or was not able to give full effort on the other end. that has changed. he may not be an elite defender, but he is above average for his position on the defensive end.

Killbot
11-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Ray Allen is a shooter and nothing else. One of the greatest shooters in history yes, but a lot more replacable than Kobe, Odom, Gasol, or Bynum.

Ray is not just a shooter. He attacks the basket whenever he sees a good opportunity for him to strike. He looks at the players guarding the paint; if the players are good shot blockers he would not go for it. That's how he plays, which is good decision making.
Plus, most of the time the Celtics don't need Ray to attack the basket. They got good post presence in Kevin Garnett, Rasheed Wallace, and Kendrick Perkins. Stretching the floor greatly helps the Celtics offense.
He still drives from time to time.

Real Men Wear Green
11-02-2009, 06:20 PM

Only person that would argue that is your stupid ass.

B-Diddy=2Easy
11-02-2009, 06:22 PM
i don't think he'll get that much either, but he is actually a pretty good defender. he did very well against kobe in the finals (even though he is hardly credited for it, he was kobe's primary defender). he has done well against other good shooting guards since he has come to boston as well. part of his reputation as being a poor defender comes from years when he was asked to do way too much on offense and for whatever reason, did not or was not able to give full effort on the other end. that has changed. he may not be an elite defender, but he is above average for his position on the defensive end.

Are you kidding me? Ray Allen is hand downs one of the worst defenders in the league. Ask any real Celtics fan. Allen is a piss poor defender. Nothing more, nothing less.

'Toine=MVP
11-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Are you kidding me? Ray Allen is hand downs one of the worst defenders in the league. Ask any real Celtics fan. Allen is a piss poor defender. Nothing more, nothing less.

you are incorrect sir.

Luigi
11-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Celtics disrespect of Allen is troubling. Allen opens up a lot of opportunities for Pierce because it is hard to guard both wings, especially a shooter like Allen. No appreciation.

TruthKGRay3412
11-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Celtics disrespect of Allen is troubling. Allen opens up a lot of opportunities for Pierce because it is hard to guard both wings, especially a shooter like Allen. No appreciation.

Everyone here in Boston loves Ray Allen,he is a very important piece to another championship..who is disrespecting him?

TruthKGRay3412
11-02-2009, 07:25 PM

Allen is a good defender..he should get more credit for his defense actually its not great but its definitely not below average..are you ever going to grow up and just talk basketball without hating on Ray Allen? You're so goddamn annoying.

Real Men Wear Green
11-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Please don't take Bdiddy2easy/Spudjjay's rambling seriously. He has issues with Ray Allen possibly related to his irrational obsession with Paul Pierce. We are unable to give him the therapy he needs or the smack in the mouth he deserves, so I personally often ignore him, but we certainly don't condone his stupidity.

bagelred
11-02-2009, 07:39 PM
If you think about it, Celtics are basically giving Rondo Ray Allen's money.

Allen makes $20 million, next year Rondo makes $11 million and Allen will probably resign with Celtics for about $10 million per for 2/3 years. So for Celts, it kinda evens out.......

nbastatus
11-02-2009, 07:45 PM
It's a fair contract for both. Rondo is improving anyways.

lilbeastnani
11-02-2009, 07:45 PM

Allen makes $20 million, next year Rondo makes $11 million and Allen will probably resign with Celtics for about $10 million per for 2/3 years. So for Celts, it kinda evens out.......
Yeah but thing about it is that they took on contracts of KG and Ray that were already signed. Now they are in a position where they would have to actually write up the contracts that would put them way over the severely reduced salary cap.

JohnnySic
11-02-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm pro-Ray Allen but he's not worth $ 20 mill per anymore...hopefully he takes a fair "hometown discount".

ProfessorMurder
11-02-2009, 08:07 PM

That's exactly what I'm expecting. Ray loves it in Boston, and probably will resign for 9-11 mill per year. I want Ray, Pierce, and KG to stay together as long as possible.

Celts34
11-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Please don't take Bdiddy2easy/Spudjjay's rambling seriously. He has issues with Ray Allen possibly related to his irrational obsession with Paul Pierce. We are unable to give him the therapy he needs or the smack in the mouth he deserves, so I personally often ignore him, but we certainly don't condone his stupidity.

:oldlol: :oldlol: cosigned. Spud is on some borderline Stan sh*t when it comes to PP. Best to ignore and not engage him in his foolishness.

IBrickShots
11-02-2009, 09:13 PM
That is a big contract for him but he is young and can improve into an amazing PG.

Talent
11-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Rondo did deserve a contract like this. He works well with the big 3 and it gets this mess out of the way so Rondo can focus on basketball.

lilmagicjohnson
11-02-2009, 09:20 PM
This is probably the worst contract on league history. This has made my day.
Have you ever heard of Ben Wallets in Cleveland or Samuel Dalembert?

Maga_1
11-02-2009, 09:25 PM
How can he get a contract better than Roy?

Real Men Wear Green
11-03-2009, 01:51 PM
How can he get a contract better than Roy?
He didn't.

Real Men Wear Green
11-03-2009, 01:56 PM

I would try to avoid giving Allen a third year guaranteed at that price, and he's a smart enough man to realize that teams don't want to hand players his age big long-term deals. Hopefully if there's a third year it's team-option. 10-11 mil per for 2 seasons sounds right to me.

GOBB
11-03-2009, 02:56 PM
The way I look at it? If he were a free agent he would get more than $55mil and $11mil per. So eh, if Kevin Martin can command this deal why not Rondo? This is a fair deal to me, not overpaying. Did i just say that? Wait this is the NBA!

dwight12
11-03-2009, 03:35 PM
He's good but he's not that good.

MarloStanfield
11-03-2009, 03:46 PM
He's good but he's not that good.

You realize he is being paid right where his talent level with the other PG's in the league are right? He isnt getting CP3 or D-Will money.

Salary
Gilbert Arenas, Washington $16.2M
Deron Williams, Utah $13.5M
Chris Paul, New Orleans $13.5M
Steve Nash, Phoenix $13.1M
Tony Parker, San Antonio $12.6M
Baron Davis, LA Clippers $12.1M
Chauncey Billups, Denver $12.1M
Monta Ellis, Golden State $11M
Rajon Rondo,Boston Celtics $11M
Mo Williams, Cleveland $8.8M
Devin Harris, New Jersey $8.4M
Jose Calderon, Toronto $8.2M
Jameer Nelson, Orlando $8.1M
Jason Kidd, Dallas $8.1M

MarloStanfield
11-03-2009, 03:47 PM
The way I look at it? If he were a free agent he would get more than $55mil and $11mil per. So eh, if Kevin Martin can command this deal why not Rondo? This is a fair deal to me, not overpaying. Did i just say that? Wait this is the NBA!

Bingo.

AMISTILLILL
11-03-2009, 05:29 PM
I just can't wait to see what kind of player Rondo is built into in five years.

Maybe he'll put on a little more muscle and grow a beard.

DukeDelonte13
11-03-2009, 05:30 PM
I just can't wait to see what kind of player Rondo is built into in five years.

Maybe he'll put on a little more muscle and grow a beard.

Rondo should DEFINITELY grow a beard.

AMISTILLILL
11-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Rondo should DEFINITELY grow a beard.

Let's turn this into a "what kind of facial hair should Rondo grow" thread.

http://lowposts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/beard-baron-davis.jpg

bagelred
11-03-2009, 08:00 PM
That's exactly what I'm expecting. Ray loves it in Boston, and probably will resign for 9-11 mill per year. .

You think Allen is going to get MORE than that on open market? Not likely. Economy is bad.

If Allen gets $10 per from Boston, he should jump on that.

ProfessorMurder
11-03-2009, 08:18 PM
You think Allen is going to get MORE than that on open market? Not likely. Economy is bad.

If Allen gets $10 per from Boston, he should jump on that.

I said I agreed dude. Ray will probably resign for roughly 10 mill a season.