PDA

View Full Version : What is the Basketball Slang in your city?

Tarik One
10-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Every city has their own basketball jargon. Around the Chi area, these terms are common on the local courts:

Travelling is referred to as "steps"

A person who doesn't like to pass the ball is called a "gun", instead of other common names like "chucker" and "Ballhog"

A layup is called a "crip", so when guys are shooting layups before a game, it's called "shooting crips"

DatZNasty
10-27-2006, 10:54 AM
We use the same common ones, words like "wet" or "Water" for jumpshots that swish or someone who could shoot would be like "my J is wet."

Missing, turning the ball over, and anything generally bad is reffered to as "tricking." Tricking the game off, tricking layups, whatever.

I really can't think of anything indigenous to just my area

heavensdevil
10-27-2006, 11:46 AM
a Long Range shooter is a "wamper"

Someone who can shoot is "wet"

If u cross somebody, or make someone look foolish, U can say u "dropped them off"

dunking on someone is called "ramming", Like "yo this dude got rammed on"

adamcz
10-27-2006, 11:46 AM
I've lived a few places and heard a lot of different slang.

In NYC, a bounce pass is known as "french fries." As in "yo dawg, that was a great french fries when I was surfing to the movie theatre."

However in NJ, boxing out for rebounds is known as "turd sandwich." As in, "yo dawg, how's anybody supposed to open an elephant suprise when you're turd sandwich the biscuit?"

Bourne
10-27-2006, 12:01 PM
ahah slang is retarded. "You tricked that one!" wtf... why? just why?!

The slang in my area is marklar. Well, basically, lexicon = marklar where I'm at.

millwad
11-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Back home in Sweden we used to say following whenever someone shot the ball;

"Du

L8k3r5
11-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Wet

chips93
11-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Every city has their own basketball jargon. Around the Chi area, these terms are common on the local courts:

Travelling is referred to as "steps"

A person who doesn't like to pass the ball is called a "gun", instead of other common names like "chucker" and "Ballhog"

A layup is called a "crip", so when guys are shooting layups before a game, it's called "shooting crips"

these arent unique to chicago

jongib369
11-29-2012, 09:49 PM
A "Brick" here in Dublin is called a "potato"

taabhimself
11-29-2012, 09:52 PM
around here a nice dime is called a "quiver", a crossover is called a "round-the-way", to dunk is to "rally 'round the jerry" and coaches are "borgnines" umm thats about it really

KLovin
11-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Probably not unique to New York City, but I was playing a bunch of black dudes once and my jumper was particularly wet that game. After hitting a bunch of them in quick succession, one of them went, "He got da ratchet." Again, perhaps not unique to my city, but "the ratchet" was something I'd never heard of before.

elementally morale
11-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Basketball in my country is called kos

Rondo
11-29-2012, 10:28 PM
these arent unique to chicago

He didn't say they were. The opposite in fact (as far as chucker and ballhog goes).

red1
11-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Getting dunked on - you got yammed on. Somone is a good shooter - shooter is wet or jumpshot is wet. Someone crosses you up - he just broke you

clipps
11-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Not really baskeall game terms but more like names of mini games(horse, around the world). I lived in Cali, New Mexico, Texas and Colorado and the biggest difference is knock out(person befind you makes it, your out). Growing up in So Cal, we called it "lightning". Everywhere else, it was Knockout.

nathanjizzle
11-29-2012, 10:33 PM
im not from the hood in chicago but i was playing 21/V with a guy that was and everytime i shot the ball he would yell "ghost" signifying being scared to try to throw me off.

clipps
11-29-2012, 10:34 PM
I remember being called "unibomber" when I went to Venice Beach and was raining 3's.

Cali Syndicate
11-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Pretty sure didn't start in my neck of the woods but I like to use "onions."

Because it's funny.

hangintheair
11-29-2012, 10:47 PM
In my country

travelling - "without passport"

ballhog - "crocodile", "lacoste"

Whoah10115
11-30-2012, 12:40 AM
Probably not unique to New York City, but I was playing a bunch of black dudes once and my jumper was particularly wet that game. After hitting a bunch of them in quick succession, one of them went, "He got da ratchet." Again, perhaps not unique to my city, but "the ratchet" was something I'd never heard of before.

That first sentence has me laughing out loud.

In my country

travelling - "without passport"

ballhog - "crocodile", "lacoste"

Without passport lol.

Court Vision
11-30-2012, 01:43 AM

In NYC, a bounce pass is known as "french fries." As in "yo dawg, that was a great french fries when I was surfing to the movie theatre."

However in NJ, boxing out for rebounds is known as "turd sandwich." As in, "yo dawg, how's anybody supposed to open an elephant suprise when you're turd sandwich the biscuit?"

Dude....what?

LongLiveTheKing
11-30-2012, 01:52 AM
When your shot is leche its lucky.

Timmy D for MVP
11-30-2012, 02:03 AM
Idk if it's common but I often here someone say "Get up" when they want the ball handler to shoot.

Other than that I can think of nothing really unique compared to what I here others say.

flipogb
11-30-2012, 02:24 AM
"boosties" instead of "hops", not sure if that was local and that was 6 yrs ago , in los angeles area

KLovin
11-30-2012, 02:27 AM
Idk if it's common but I often here someone say "Get up" when they want the ball handler to shoot.

Other than that I can think of nothing really unique compared to what I here others say.

Over here in NYC, "get up" is used more as a term of derision towards someone whose man got a rebound on them.

KungFuJoe
11-30-2012, 02:48 AM
"bunny hopping in the pea patch"

KungFuJoe
11-30-2012, 02:48 AM
"boosties" instead of "hops", not sure if that was local and that was 6 yrs ago , in los angeles area

boosties is OLD...they were saying that when I used to play ball...20 years ago.

Djahjaga
11-30-2012, 03:21 AM
Most of the ones I know have been said already, but there's "jimmy". Someone who has a nice looking jumpshot has a "jimmy".

People yell "get big" and "get up" when they're fighting for boards.

If someone gets crossed, he got "cracked".

Myth
11-30-2012, 03:24 AM
In San Francisco basketball player's moves are just "gay."

jdm_dc_fan
11-30-2012, 04:38 AM
money. :bowdown:

IamRAMBO24
11-30-2012, 04:43 AM
When a post player backs his a*s in another player's crotch, we call it "a*s plunging."

When someone makes a shot in an opposing player's face, we call it the "bukkake."

When someone attempts a steal and accidentally rubs the side of another player's nuttsack, the proper response is to smile and give a wink.

DStebb716
11-30-2012, 11:13 AM
in my neck of the woods we don't use words. we just do this act to describe every play

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/pau-gasol-gif.gif

blablabla
11-30-2012, 11:55 AM

:roll: