PDA

View Full Version : ever use the finger roll or sky hook ?

goldenryan
11-16-2009, 12:58 PM
or for that matter any old school move.

Swaggin916
11-16-2009, 02:48 PM
I sometimes use a sweeping hook type thing... but it's only when messing around. I wouldn't dare use it in a serious game haha. I sometimes will use a little finger roll or something on a fast break but I'm no Iceman lol

1manfastbreak
11-16-2009, 02:52 PM
or for that matter any old school move.

i was taught the hook shot at a young age, i've never had it blocked in a game. it's a great move to have, and it needs a lot of practice to perfect it. i worked on it for about 3 years before i ever tried it in a game.

NY-Knicks
11-16-2009, 04:02 PM
I very often use the finger roll. The sky hook, not so much. I do use that one handed bounce pass in the open floor, a lot. learned that from watching Magic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxBM3dTPc_k&feature=related
3:47

Also use the UTEP Two-Step from Tim Hardaway often. And almost forgot to mention the Dream Shake in the post.

pete's montreux
11-16-2009, 05:43 PM
the finger roll was literally my best offensive move, i was never a really fast player so i developed a really quick finger roll, and i used to OWN with it

my favorite was always get the ball on the block, spin around to the defense, cross to the left and finger roll as fast as i could

i used to do that from both sides of the court

NotYetGreat
11-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Finger roll to me is pretty hard, believe it or not. Probably just don't have the right technique. I'll practice it. I used to have a Sky Hook, though, but that kinda diminished. Damn, should've worked on these earlier during practice. :banghead:

HylianNightmare
11-17-2009, 10:55 AM
hook, dream shake. my finger rolls suck

Automajic23
11-17-2009, 11:32 AM
doesnt everyone finger roll when you take off further than you want to from the rim? I find that when I am reaching for the hoop I will finger roll, or if it's an easy lay up i'll finger roll without elevating.

The sky hook was the only move I had 6 years ago, i literally could not do anything else.

Swaggin916
11-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Ya know I don't think anything should constitute as an old school move... I mean everything has it's place and sometimes a finger role is necessary. Nobody uses a sky hook like Kareem even if they think they do... they do more of flip shot than anything just with their back to the basket. But I mean you could say moves like the up and under are old school cus McHale did it all the time in the 80's... but it's not old school cus it's still done a lot and is very useful.

pete's montreux
11-17-2009, 04:32 PM
you guys should really learn it, practice it as hard as you practice say, your handles

'cause you can go to the rack as hard as you can and finish over a seven footer if you develop a good finger roll

i've finger rolled 5+ feet in the air and that b*tch drops in with barely touching the net, over a 7 footer

it really helps your game, trust me

Automajic23
11-17-2009, 04:49 PM
you guys should really learn it, practice it as hard as you practice say, your handles

'cause you can go to the rack as hard as you can and finish over a seven footer if you develop a good finger roll

i've finger rolled 5+ feet in the air and that b*tch drops in with barely touching the net, over a 7 footer

QFT, i see guards do this to me sometimes

Swaggin916
11-18-2009, 12:16 AM

Or you could just develop a tear drop... probably a little more realistic to master lol.

HylianNightmare
11-18-2009, 01:53 AM
not gonna lie my floater is disgusting, i can drop those over anyone from anywhere. i can't count the time i'm playing at the courts and i'll just one handed float and 3 and every just looks at me in disbelief....

god i'm a creep

NotYetGreat
11-18-2009, 02:58 AM
not gonna lie my floater is disgusting, i can drop those over anyone from anywhere. i can't count the time i'm playing at the courts and i'll just one handed float and 3 and every just looks at me in disbelief....

god i'm a creep

A floater is a very good move to learn. It's simple yet effective.

HylianNightmare
11-18-2009, 11:25 AM
A floater is a very good move to learn. It's simple yet effective.

i know i tried to get all my friends to learn it but they tell me to **** off cause i'm so gay about shooting like mid range and 3 point shots with it

pete's montreux
11-18-2009, 08:05 PM
floaters are much harder to master imo, finger roll is really easy to learn, just takes time like everything else

i dont even really know of any nba players that have a good floater, it's not really a go to move to me

plus, the finger roll being an underhand shot, its much easier to get it off imo, you can adjust in the air if you use a finger roll

i can take off, read the d, and adjust my finger roll accordingly, i can even pump fake my finger roll by delaying it a little bit, or even go up with my arm, then pull it back, go under the defenders arm/body and still get the finger roll off

you can't do that with a floater

phoenix18
11-18-2009, 08:50 PM
What the hell is a floater? Is it like a teardrop of is it like a runner?

I have this move where I long jump and shoot the basketball off glass. Is that a floater?

halffttime
11-18-2009, 08:51 PM
which finger roll are we talking about? are we talking about a scoop finger roll or an actual finger roll being inches away fromt he rim?

Swaggin916
11-18-2009, 10:25 PM
floaters are much harder to master imo, finger roll is really easy to learn, just takes time like everything else

i dont even really know of any nba players that have a good floater, it's not really a go to move to me

plus, the finger roll being an underhand shot, its much easier to get it off imo, you can adjust in the air if you use a finger roll

i can take off, read the d, and adjust my finger roll accordingly, i can even pump fake my finger roll by delaying it a little bit, or even go up with my arm, then pull it back, go under the defenders arm/body and still get the finger roll off

you can't do that with a floater

Tony Parker has a good floater... Mo Williams has a decent one. I think John Stockton had a great one but I can't remember. A lot of players use it, just not on a regular basis.

What the hell is a floater? Is it like a teardrop of is it like a runner?

It's basically just like flip shot that you use to get the ball over taller players. Generally, it's quickly released and goes high in the air. A tear drop is the same thing... the term "tear drop" is used when it's a really high one (Like to get over Dwight Howard)... At least that's they way I have come to understand it.

which finger roll are we talking about? are we talking about a scoop finger roll or an actual finger roll being inches away fromt he rim?

I was under the impression he was talking about the old George Gervin flip roll where it flips up high in the air... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5liYhD-ads Otherwise yea just a regular old finger roll is nothing special.

pete's montreux
11-19-2009, 05:50 AM

i guess im talking about the scoop finger roll, but i use the "normal" one a lot as well

pete's montreux
11-19-2009, 05:54 AM
yeah a lot of players have hit floaters, but you cant name a single one that uses it frequently

like i said, it's not a go to move

tony parker is the first that comes to mind, and he probably hits one, what, once a week at the most?

players barely use it, if at all

and they dont use the finger roll either

my impression is that people see a player hit one or two floaters and all of a sudden it's one of their go to moves and the floater is cemented into the players repertoire immediately and people argue: "dude has a sick floater!"

no they dont, not even close

i remember in the olympics, [maybe fiba in '06] some dude hit like 4 straight floaters against usa, thats the most ive ever seen anyone use it

floater is such a hard shot to control imo

NotYetGreat
11-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Isn't a floater Marion's go-to move?

Swaggin916
11-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Isn't a floater Marion's go-to move?

Yea he does that a lot... What's his face that rookie from Missouri... I think it's Carrol... that was his whole game. He didn't even have to elevate cus he had that floater. Kenyon Martin also uses a weird floater...except it's more of a line drive but it looks like a floater from the release.

i remember in the olympics, [maybe fiba in '06] some dude hit like 4 straight floaters against usa, thats the most ive ever seen anyone use it

Yea that was the Spanish guy in the Gold Medal game. He was hittin floaters like there was no tomorrow.

pete's montreux
11-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Yea that was the Spanish guy in the Gold Medal game. He was hittin floaters like there was no tomorrow.

Yeah, I think so. Dude didn't get minutes all game, comes in with like 6 minutes left and starts dipping in floaters. :oldlol:

gasolina
11-19-2009, 05:50 PM

JCN? Though he could never get off his floater consistently when he played with the Grizz

"Jesus"
11-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Floaters are incredibly hard to control. I think the key is arc. Shawn Marion has this hook, floater that is automatic in they key and post.
Back to finger rolls, there is nobody that scoops like Gervin. Nobody even does it anymore. But when I watched videos of him doing it, does that not make the ball much more vulnerable?

Swaggin916
11-20-2009, 01:08 AM
Floaters are incredibly hard to control. I think the key is arc. Shawn Marion has this hook, floater that is automatic in they key and post.
Back to finger rolls, there is nobody that scoops like Gervin. Nobody even does it anymore. But when I watched videos of him doing it, does that not make the ball much more vulnerable?

Yea that's what I'm saying nobody does it like him... I can't understand why he developed that shot tho. I mean that had to just be natural cus yea you have to shoot that far away from the basket to get it over the bigs... and the percentage seems like it would be terrible.

Automajic23
11-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Yea that's what I'm saying nobody does it like him... I can't understand why he developed that shot tho. I mean that had to just be natural cus yea you have to shoot that far away from the basket to get it over the bigs... and the percentage seems like it would be terrible.

I don't like floaters. If they happen, it's by accident. IMO it's better to just UP n UNDER, or Eurostep, or fly in on them because if they go up with you it's usually a foul, and if they stay ground you should be posterizing them.

A floater over a defender and going hard to shoot on a defender are 2 different things, remember. The floater is usually that soft 1 hand shot with a high arc, usually released before contact/closing defenders

Swaggin916
11-20-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't like floaters. If they happen, it's by accident. IMO it's better to just UP n UNDER, or Eurostep, or fly in on them because if they go up with you it's usually a foul, and if they stay ground you should be posterizing them.

A floater over a defender and going hard to shoot on a defender are 2 different things, remember. The floater is usually that soft 1 hand shot with a high arc, usually released before contact/closing defenders

Floaters have their place though. It will keep the defender off balanced, frustrate the hell out of them if you can make them (because there is nothing they can do) and they save energy. If you are always going hard to the basket it's going to wear on you a bit so a floater can be a nice alternative

"Jesus"
11-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Floaters have their place though. It will keep the defender off balanced, frustrate the hell out of them if you can make them (because there is nothing they can do) and they save energy. If you are always going hard to the basket it's going to wear on you a bit so a floater can be a nice alternative

Yup, it's just another trick up your arsenal you can use. It's more for smaller players who needs to get off a quick shot over a larger defender if they are not athletic enough to do a up and under, etc. :rockon: I would do it all day if I had it.

Nash-tastic
11-29-2009, 06:32 AM
Finger roll is how i normally finish on the break

GiveItToBurrito
12-02-2009, 03:51 PM
I actually use a lot of finger rolls and occasionally I'll do a hook shot (I'm 5'11, but I'm pretty wide and played center when I was younger and still seemed like I'd eventually be really tall). The hook shot works pretty well, and I actually think that finger rolls are the easiest was to score if you're faster than someone guarding the paint. They're definitely easier than floaters, especially going across the basket.

Lebron23
03-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Finger roll.

01amberfirewv
03-08-2012, 03:50 PM
I use the floater quite a bit. you guys need to check out WVU's Killicli for the hook

http://vimeo.com/19721601

http://vimeo.com/21975591

Lebron23
04-16-2014, 09:59 AM
it's one of my signature moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfe4dOE8Ars#aid=P88Kxo2b3OQ

NZStreetBaller
04-25-2014, 07:11 PM
I quite often pump fake a corner three then will drive baseline to the rim then side step away from the rim as im skyhooking. good because it creates alot of height. sudden change in direction (which ****s up the defender) and sometimes i can use my non shooting hand to create a bit more space from the defender

Element
06-12-2014, 06:24 PM

i agree with this. spinning into a floater is my favorite move when I'm driving.

and yeah, finger rolls are used everywhere on the streets. i almost always finger roll my layups, especially on a reverse.

Jailblazers7
06-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Not very successfully. Those shots take a ton of skill and touch. I have a decent scoop floater tho from ****ing around with it so much during shootarounds.

And when I think of finger roll I think of Gervin's not just your average lay-up. The Gervin style finger roll is very difficult.

Element
06-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Not very successfully. Those shots take a ton of skill and touch. I have a decent scoop floater tho from ****ing around with it so much during shootarounds.

And when I think of finger roll I think of Gervin's not just your average lay-up. The Gervin style finger roll is very difficult.

t-mac and AI had nice finger rolls also

Swaggin916
06-15-2014, 08:03 PM
If you are like 6'6 or taller maybe a finger roll can be a useful shot... But it's all about the floater these days. Other than a more or less uncontested layup, I don't see a point of finger rolling. A sky hook can be a useful shot to learn on the other hand... Many situations where a sky or sweeping hook could be a useful way to get up a shot that is hard to contest.

Lebron23
07-30-2014, 05:54 AM
The finger roll is one of my go to moves.

Im Still Ballin
07-30-2014, 07:51 AM
The finger roll is one of my go to moves.
Only because you are 5-5 and can't dunk.

Im Still Ballin
07-30-2014, 09:24 AM
5'11" actually. And I am capable of kicking your @$$ in the basketball court.
one time i went to the Philippines and my 6-1 was godly there. You're no more than 5-7. No shame little guy.

Im Still Ballin
07-30-2014, 09:28 AM
You live under your parents basement. I doubt you play basketball and go outside. Are you F*cking bipolar? I have a Gun here. I can help you out.
Hahahahahahahhahahahaahah

I bet you have wet dreams about dunking. Sad to say that you'll never get there. But hey! there are always 9 foot hoops! (Probably couldnt slam it down on that either LMAO)

;)

Shade8780
08-04-2014, 04:05 PM
I do a finger roll a lot, without thinking.

Timmy D for MVP
08-05-2014, 06:22 PM
My left hand is considerably weaker than my right. And for some reason when I took time to figure it out I had much more success rolling it instead of laying it up.

So now I use rolls and scoops almost exclusively on my left hand.

BoutPractice
08-09-2014, 06:31 AM
So I think I've finally gotten a hang of the sky hook... and boy is that move ridiculously unstoppable once you understand how it works and feel confident with yourself making it.

A lot of it depends on balance, if you can easily do a Dirk leg and other "acrobatic" shots you're one step closer to the real sky hook. Having a good grip on the ball matters, as does follow through. Another thing I've noticed is that it's easier in motion, after a fake or a dribble (doing it from a stand still position in the post requires a lot of skill).

played0ut
08-10-2014, 07:02 AM
For a great finger roll to be used efficiently to score, it needs to be like Gervin's;

Goes like 2-3 feet in the air to go 'over' the defender's hands. Iceman used it to great effect.

:applause:

http://media2.giphy.com/media/2KIuSyMTObknS/200.gif

So I think I've finally gotten a hang of the sky hook... and boy is that move ridiculously unstoppable once you understand how it works and feel confident with yourself making it.

A lot of it depends on balance, if you can easily do a Dirk leg and other "acrobatic" shots you're one step closer to the real sky hook. Having a good grip on the ball matters, as does follow through. Another thing I've noticed is that it's easier in motion, after a fake or a dribble (doing it from a stand still position in the post requires a lot of skill).

It's hard to use without big hands too. I needed to practice the rhythm so it would probably go off my hands instead of roll off and slice off sideways.

I don't skyhook, though. Just normal jump hook. My basic post move.

PUGEPUGEPUGE
06-24-2016, 05:43 PM
I'd really like to master the Iceman's finger roll cos it looks cool as hell. But HOW do you practice it? it's pretty embarassing cos it airballs if you're flick of the wrist is weak(:oldlol: )
Man imagine fingerr rolling over the center instead of tear dropping it(which i think looks so awkward)

FreezingTsmoove
12-11-2016, 12:02 AM
I jelly that shit OP

PUGEPUGEPUGE
02-06-2017, 05:56 AM
finger roll making a comeback! with isaiah washington and the jellyfam!! his jelly is BEAUTIFUL

JaskoX1
10-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Baby Hook :rockon:

The hooper
05-19-2020, 11:09 PM
Yes these moves are still used in today's games. The only difference between the moves back in the day and in today's game is most of the players jump a lot higher. A vertical of 32" inches is basically the standard. If you want to reach this point so you can use these moves effectively, especially the sky hook I suggest you look at this article about a jump training program. I will link to it so you can check it out. https://basketballmentality.com/vert-shock-review/

Zinger
10-04-2020, 12:04 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=15gk5_Yhtnk i love the sky hook �� theres a few in here

Gabe Ball
11-28-2020, 10:55 PM
I've not used it yet since I'm still working on my ball-handling and my hand isn't big enough for the ball to roll off, but on the bright side I'm getting better with at least the jumping phase. I usually like to jump high (been getting into jump training alright so I might as well make use of it lol, currently eyeing this (https://ballamazingly.com/vert-shock-review/) program for those interested) to make it an easier shot, so I'll run then jump straight up so I can focus solely on my technique with the roll.

Can't seem to get close to making a hook shot tho

hiphopanonymous
03-17-2021, 12:26 AM
I use a much uglier hook than Kareem if I'm in the lane and any kind of hook shot is still effective if you have good timing and touch but timecoded below is the closest hook I've shot to his more specific skyhook, which involves pivoting off just one leg:
https://youtu.be/1fZPTEf1pf8?t=356

And here's a finger roll below:
https://youtu.be/1fZPTEf1pf8?t=632

hiphopanonymous
03-17-2021, 12:30 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=15gk5_Yhtnk i love the sky hook �� theres a few in here
Nice outlet passes - palming off the dribble must be nice too I don't have the hands for control like that