PDA

View Full Version : True or False: Brandon Jennings 2010 All-Star

ChuckOakley
11-17-2009, 10:51 AM
If his team continues to overacheive, and no other guards in the East besides Wade and JJ stand out, I think he has a shot.

Wade
JJ
Arenas
Rose
Rondo

Look to be his main competition.

Arenas' team sucks
Rondo has to contend with PP, KG and Allen for votes
Rose has inferior stats to Jennings all across the board

JJ looks to be a lock
Wade loocks to be a lock

HylianNightmare
11-17-2009, 10:58 AM
might throw vince up there too

dr8ked
he has a likeable xter and his game is interesting. Just like when Grant hill came into the league. answer to your question :: it's a possibilty.

Manute for Ever!
Jennings is good, but he is becoming very overrated on here.

Raps4Life
11-17-2009, 11:00 AM
If his team continues to overacheive, and no other guards in the East besides Wade and JJ stand out, I think he has a shot.

Wade
JJ
Arenas
Rose
Rondo

Arenas' team sucks

JJ looks to be a lock
Wade loocks to be a lock

I don't know if I'd go as far to say Jarett Jack is a lock :P

dr8ked
11-17-2009, 11:02 AM

over 20 PPG for a rookie is not overated. look up how many veterans can score 10 pts. He's literally running the team. How is that overated ?:confusedshrug:

CasterL
11-17-2009, 11:02 AM
yeah cos a rookie dropping 55 and being a main factor in team thats overachieving =him being overrated? this guy has serious potential

all star is unlikely though imo. but a possibility. he would have to be beasting like this right up until as break

dr8ked
11-17-2009, 11:03 AM
I don't know if I'd go as far to say Jarett Jack is a lock :P

Jaret jack ??? :roll: :roll: Child Please !!!!!!

Toizumi
11-17-2009, 11:06 AM

Wade
JJ
Arenas
Rose
Rondo

Arenas' team sucks

JJ looks to be a lock
Wade loocks to be a lock

The reserves are picked by the coaches right? So the voting doesnt matter here. So even if Jennings would have more votes from the public than Rondo, the coaches can pick Rondo if they want to. But yeah Jennings has a shot if he keeps playing like this. He's the star player on his team.. and both he and his team are doing better than expected by many.

spree43
11-17-2009, 11:13 AM
There's a chance he might get voted in by the fans with the current hype around him

I mean Rondo and Vince are disliked as much as they are liked nowadays

Arenas is doing the same thing (playing point and taking a lot of shots) with a better supporting cast and winning less games

JJ is probably not the big vote getting type

But I think the coaches will not vote him in at this stage

In terms of his overating, look at who he has played so far;

@ Philly - Loss
Detroit - Win
@ Chicago - L
@ Minni - W
NY - W
Denver - W
GS - W
Dallas - L

The Denver game is really the only suprising win there, so dont get too excited about him improving his team too much, and dont expect them to be a playoff team based on their early record

ChuckOakley
11-17-2009, 11:13 AM
The reserves are picked by the coaches right? So the voting doesnt matter here. So even if Jennings would have more votes from the public than Rondo, the coaches can pick Rondo if they want to. But yeah Jennings has a shot if he keeps playing like this. He's the star player on his team.. and both he and his team are doing better than expected by many.
I was referring to the coaches' votes.

greensborohill
11-17-2009, 11:15 AM
He got shutdown my Beaubois last night.

gotbacon23
11-17-2009, 11:16 AM
its very early on but if jennings keeps it up and the bucks keep playing well, the he has to be considered. i know its very early on, but he is very close to averaging 25/5/5 (only 0.2 rebounds away) and is one of 3 players in the nba averaging at least 25/4/5 (lebron james and dwayne wade being the other two). he has to keep it up though but they aren't empty stats.

Younggrease
11-17-2009, 11:17 AM
I think if he keeps up about he is doing he may get voted in by the coaches.

I think he is the type of guy I would like to see in an all star game as well.

ChuckOakley
11-17-2009, 11:18 AM
No one willing to make a prediction and say True or False?

I say TRUE

Toizumi
11-17-2009, 11:21 AM
I was referring to the coaches' votes.

ohw my bad. I get your point. Rondo plays on a team full of stars and that might hurt him during the voting. On the other hand.. its not like they have to vote for a player on each team so coaches can vote for KG, Ray, PP and Rondo if they want to :oldlol: Right now, Jennings is playing better ball than him IMO. We'll see.

Younggrease
11-17-2009, 11:23 AM
No one willing to make a prediction and say True or False?

I say TRUE

I havent been able to watch a full game of his so I cant say. I only have the lmited league pass broadband.

spree43
11-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Ok ... I say FALSE

He has bad shot selection and will be found out by opposing defenses soon, in the next 10 game stretch, and will have a bad run

By the allstar break he'll be averaging 17 ppg, 3 rpg, 6 apg on the 11th or 12th ranked team in the east

Not saying he wont be a great player in years to come, he's just not going to average 20+ ppg for the rest of the season

IMO

Toizumi
11-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Ok ... I say FALSE

He has bad shot selection and will be found out by opposing defenses soon, in the next 10 game stretch, and will have a bad run

By the allstar break he'll be averaging 17 ppg, 3 rpg, 6 apg on the 10th (or below) ranked team in the east

Not saying he wont be a great player in years to come, he's just not going to average 20+ ppg for the rest of the season

IMO

It's not bad shot selection if you make 'm. Iverson always a knack of scoring of the dribble, putting up tough shots (hence the low FG%) but he was a great scorer nonetheless. I see some of AI in BJ (LOL) :applause:

Lyoto15
11-17-2009, 11:46 AM
He has a shot if he keeps this up.
He is fun to watch, he is preforming better than expected, and this has not gone unnoticed

All Net
11-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Right now

True

Bucks are winning and he is putting up very good stats.

spree43
11-17-2009, 11:55 AM
It's not bad shot selection if you make 'm. Iverson always a knack of scoring of the dribble, putting up tough shots (hence the low FG%) but he was a great scorer nonetheless. I see some of AI in BJ (LOL) :applause:

From what I've seen;
- he strongly prefers going left, something that can be exploited
- he takes A LOT of 3s (attempts 5 a game, many bad shots) and is shooting 54%, dont expect this to continue, he is having a hot shooting streak based on past form, I'd expect him to reduce this to about 35% and then take less per game
- Based on this hot shooting I'd expect his mid range shooting to drop a bit also
- Add onto this the fact he is a rookie, and is inexperienced and when opposing defenses start studying and locking down on him it will take longer for him to adapt, and his bad runs of form will be longer than a veteran

Once again this is just my opinion based on the couple of full games I've seen, and general highlights, nothing against the kid personally, or what he could achieve later in his career

But the OP asked for a prediction

plowking
11-17-2009, 11:59 AM

He's averaging 25ppg, he's deserving of all the talk he's getting.

What's so hard to believe? There have been plenty of rookies with worse stats who were voted in as an all star in their second year.

Knicks101
11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
He's averaging 25ppg, he's deserving of all the talk he's getting.

What's so hard to believe? There have been plenty of rookies with worse stats who were voted in as an all star in their second year.

Like who?

ForceOfNature
11-17-2009, 12:08 PM

I don't think so. He's averaging 26, 5, and 5 for a rookie, and he's carrying that lowly Bucks team (without its star player) and they have a surprising 5-3 record. Having said that, eventually I don't think he'll make the All-Star team because I don't see him keeping this up. Once Redd comes back, his numbers will drop. Although with the lack of a plethora of talent in Eastern guards, it certainly is possible.

plowking
11-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Like who?

Wade. Averaged 16, 4 and 4 in his rookie year. Was an all star the next.

spree43
11-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Ummmmm...... 2010 Allstar game is this season

plowking
11-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Ummmmm...... 2010 Allstar game is this season

Try rereading what I said before...

Knicks there was also Larry Johnson and even Kobe Bryant...

spree43
11-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Try rereading what I said before...

Knicks there was also Larry Johnson and even Kobe Bryant...
Try reading the thread topic

What does your original post have to do with it?

plowking
11-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Try reading the thread topic

What does your original post have to do with it?

A poster wanted a question answered about something I wrote in my post. Which I did.

Stop hanging on my every word.

B-Diddy=2Easy
11-17-2009, 01:43 PM
True. Jennings has been by far the best PG in the EC.

tontoz
11-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Lebron and Chris Paul didn't make the All-Star team as rookies so i don't see how Jennings will.

R.I.P.
11-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Probably.

8th in scoring
5th in 3pt FG%
14th in assists
10th in PTS+REBS+AST

Basically the only players ahead of him are Dream Teamers, MVPs, ALL-NBA first teamers or Kevin Martin.

B-Diddy=2Easy
11-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Lebron and Chris Paul didn't make the All-Star team as rookies so i don't see how Jennings will.

That's idiot logic.

tontoz World:

Young rookie comes to nba
Young rookie has stellar first half of season averaging 25/5/4 ppg
Young rookie doesn't make allstar team because of LeBron James and CP3 didn't make the allstar team as rookies.

Only in tontoz World? :confusedshrug:

GOBB
11-17-2009, 03:02 PM
False, Jennings will not make the AS team. But'll make the rookie team. :lol

Knicks101
11-17-2009, 03:04 PM

The OP isn't talking about Jennings making the all star game as a sophmore he's talking about this coming all star game.

dallaslonghorn
11-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Keep in mind ... there have been 10-12 games so far this season. So really it's to early to tell. Teams are just getting correct scouting reports on this guy.

Does he DESERVE to make it if we were doing All-Stars for this early in the season? Yes. WILL he end up making it in February? Maybe, that depends a lot on politics and which teams have the most wins, since coaches seem wedded to the idea of rewarding good teams w/absurd picks (see Mo Williams last year).

After watching him play the Mavs last night, he reminds me a lot of Steve Nash. He's a great shooter who can pull-up or shoot a floater in the lane at will, yet he hardly ever forces the action and looks to get his teammates involved. Really at 20 years old the only holes in his game are on defense, some of which will be fixed through experience, some of which will haunt him his whole career (small and slight frame).

dallaslonghorn
11-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Personally, the only PG's I would definitely take over him if I were running a team this year ... Paul, Williams, Nash and a healthy Baron Davis.

adamcz
11-17-2009, 03:13 PM

Paul put up 16.1 ppg (43%), 7.8 apg, 5.1 rpg, 2.2 spg
Lebron put up 20.9 ppg (42%), 5.9 apg, 5.5 rpg, 1.6 spg
Jennings so far 25.5 ppg (48%), 5.5 apg, 4.3 rpg, 1.1 spg

His stats are right in that same tier with the superstars, and the competition is a lot different. Jennings doesn't have to beat Lebron or CP3 in any way - he has to beat Rondo, Rose, Arenas, VC.

tontoz
11-17-2009, 03:14 PM
That's idiot logic.

tontoz World:

Young rookie comes to nba
Young rookie has stellar first half of season averaging 25/5/4 ppg
Young rookie doesn't make allstar team because of LeBron James and CP3 didn't make the allstar team as rookies.

Only in tontoz World? :confusedshrug:

You are the only idiot here. Just because you don't have the mental capacity to understand that coaches are highly unlikely to pick a rookie for the All-Star game doesn't mean that isn't the truth.

Lebron averaged 21 ppg, 5.5 rebounds and 6 assists his rookie year and didn't get in.

You probably aren't aware than Jennings hot start also means defense will be paying a little more attention to him after his 55 pt game, making it harder to maintain his average.

tontoz
11-17-2009, 03:17 PM

His stats are right in that same tier with the superstars, and the competition is a lot different. Jennings doesn't have to beat Lebron or CP3 in any way - he has to beat Rondo, Rose, Arenas, VC.

Please name the last rookie to make the All-Star team.

The OP isn't asking whether or not Jennings would deserve it. He is asking whether or not he will actually make it. I don't think so simply because he is a rookie.

adamcz
11-17-2009, 03:18 PM
So you don't think he's a legit 25 ppg scorer? Defenses focus in on guys like Michael Redd, Kevin Martin, Jamal Crawford, Ben Gordon... there are lots of non-superstars who can put up those type of points even with the defense well aware of their tendancies. Why isn't Jennings one of those players?

Knicks101
11-17-2009, 03:19 PM

Do you really believe that Jennings' numbers are going to look like that at the end of the season?

tontoz
11-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Let's not forget Redd coming back which is sure to take away some of Jennings shot attempts.

adamcz
11-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Why? No rookies from other years are going to time travel to the present to compete with Jennings for the 2010 eastern conference backup guard spot. The only important question is who deserves the spot more amongst Jennings, Arenas, Rose, Rondo, Nelson, Carter, Allen, Johnson.

Really doesn't matter what Lebron, or Paul, or Stockton, or Bob Cousy did as rookies.

I bet you the coaches of the Warriors and Nuggets are going to think long and hard about giving him a vote already. Maybe the list will keep growing.

OneMoreSucka
11-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Do you really believe that Jennings' numbers are going to look like that at the end of the season?
Of course not....they'll be better than that!!!!

dwight12
11-17-2009, 03:28 PM
True.

tontoz
Why? No rookies from other years are going to time travel to the present to compete with Jennings for the 2010 eastern conference backup guard spot. The only important question is who deserves the spot more amongst Jennings, Arenas, Rose, Rondo, Nelson, Carter, Allen, Johnson.

Really doesn't matter what Lebron, or Paul, or Stockton, or Bob Cousy did as rookies.

I bet you the coaches of the Warriors and Nuggets are going to think long and hard about giving him a vote already. Maybe the list will keep growing.

Do you really think that the only issue at hand here is whether or not he deserves it?

Ever heard of rookies not getting the benefit of calls? Ever heard of rookies being forced to do embarrasing things by the team simply because they are rookies?

If he was a second year player then it would be just a question of merit but he isn't a second year player.

Knicks101
Of course not....they'll be better than that!!!!

How much better? Give me his stats.

jinsanity
11-17-2009, 05:01 PM
If Jennings continues to play at this level, it would be too hard to ignore, rookie or not. I doubt he would get voted in by the fans though. That would probably go to VC and D-Wade.

When LBJ was a rookie he was putting up good stats but out of the guards that got voted by the coaches(which LBJ was initially), they generally did better than the rookie LBJ. Baron was playing well, it was Michael Redd's career year and don't have to explain J-Kidd. And LBJ struggled initially when he first came into the NBA because Paul Silas played him at PG and he kept getting burnt on defence, especially at PG. e was a mediocre defender back then if you don't know. LBJ did much better after the all star break, particularly since he got moved to SG and hence achieving 20-5-5 by season's end. There was a much bigger fuss though about Kirilenko getting picked over rookie Carmelo.

B-Diddy=2Easy
11-17-2009, 06:51 PM
You are the only idiot here. Just because you don't have the mental capacity to understand that coaches are highly unlikely to pick a rookie for the All-Star game doesn't mean that isn't the truth.

Lebron averaged 21 ppg, 5.5 rebounds and 6 assists his rookie year and didn't get in.

You probably aren't aware than Jennings hot start also means defense will be paying a little more attention to him after his 55 pt game, making it harder to maintain his average.

No, you're the idiot. What the hell does LeBron James, Chris Paul or any other star that didn't make the allstar in their rookie season have to with Brandon Jennings? Huh moron? LeBron James wasn't the best SF in the eastern conference during his rookie season. Paul wasn't the best PG in the WC either. Jennings is putting up some of the best numbers in the league, let alone any eastern conference PG. Your point is moot.

B-Diddy=2Easy
11-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Do you really think that the only issue at hand here is whether or not he deserves it?

Ever heard of rookies not getting the benefit of calls? Ever heard of rookies being forced to do embarrasing things by the team simply because they are rookies?

If he was a second year player then it would be just a question of merit but he isn't a second year player.

One of the stupidest posts I've ever read on ISH.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
11-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Keep in mind ... there have been 10-12 games so far this season. So really it's to early to tell. Teams are just getting correct scouting reports on this guy.

Does he DESERVE to make it if we were doing All-Stars for this early in the season? Yes. WILL he end up making it in February? Maybe, that depends a lot on politics and which teams have the most wins, since coaches seem wedded to the idea of rewarding good teams w/absurd picks (see Mo Williams last year).

After watching him play the Mavs last night, he reminds me a lot of Steve Nash. He's a great shooter who can pull-up or shoot a floater in the lane at will, yet he hardly ever forces the action and looks to get his teammates involved. Really at 20 years old the only holes in his game are on defense, some of which will be fixed through experience, some of which will haunt him his whole career (small and slight frame).

bucks have only played in 8 games

Rafael Delaget
11-17-2009, 07:07 PM

Please name the last rookie to score 55 points in a game.

rosonviyavong
11-17-2009, 07:43 PM
At this rate hes playing ..why not? Especially if at the break the Bucks are in playoff contention than he should defenitely be in the ASG

tontoz
11-17-2009, 08:07 PM
One of the stupidest posts I've ever read on ISH.

you are obviously an idiot. if you don't have the mental capacity to understand that there is a bias against picking rookies for the All-Star team then that is your problem, not mine. Do you really think All-Stars are picked solely on credentials? :oldlol:

Not only is there a bias against rookies there is also a bias against first timers. It is obvious that you need to have much better credentials to make the All-Star team the first time than to be a returning All-Star. Just look at how hard it was for Melo to make it the first time.

However there have been so many cases of underserving returning All-Stars it is a joke. I am a Hawks fan and JJ is my favorite player but i was stunned when he made it last year since he was in a major slump.

I would have no problem with it if Jennings did make it but i think it is far more likely that an underserving veteran would make it over a deserving rookie. I think Mo Williams has a far better chance of making it than Jennings because he has made it before.

tontoz
11-17-2009, 08:45 PM
As far as i can tell the last rookie to make the All-Star team was Tim Duncan.

The closest comparison to Jennings would be Iverson. he averaged 23.5/7.5 in his rookie year and didn't make the All-Star team. However Joe Dumars did averaging 14.7/4.0. And lets not forget the immortal Terrell Brandon.

BDiddy do you think Brandon and Dumars deserved to make it over Iverson?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g195/tontoz/funny-pictures-shut-up-00l.jpg

Jasper
11-17-2009, 08:49 PM
wow 8 games and the guy is already talked about as an ALL-STAR great :wtf:

8 GAMES

OneMoreSucka
11-17-2009, 08:58 PM
How much better? Give me his stats.
I was obviously being sarcastic...but as you wish.

28/7/6

Knicks101
11-17-2009, 09:03 PM
I was obviously being sarcastic...but as you wish.

28/7/6

I know that you were being sarcastic. I expected you to say 40/15/13.

ChuckOakley
11-18-2009, 11:40 AM
wow 8 games and the guy is already talked about as an ALL-STAR great :wtf:

8 GAMES
Well, the voting has started already.

ChiCity
11-29-2009, 08:44 AM
definitely false
he will become an all-star but not in his rookie season

Jasper
11-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Well, the voting has started already.

rookie all-star team , that is it.

tontoz
01-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Anyone still want to vote true? :oldlol:

Hillabale
01-04-2010, 06:01 PM
This must be another one of those old dead threads that got stuck over here from the general board.

GOBB
01-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Anyone still want to vote true? :oldlol:

:roll:

:applause: