PDA

View Full Version : Which player you base your game on?

e's Nikees
11-21-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm a point guard who's always looking to pass, and make the right play. I base my game on Steve Nash and Tony Parker.

I love Nash's ball handling ability, and im intrigued by Parker's speed and quickness, and his ability to score anytime he wants.

The only diffrence between me and Nash is that I don't shoot the way he does.

zxc5395
11-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Im a guard that likes shooting and slashing and passing probably comes last unless im in a bad condition. So i base my game on Kobe because of his moves like the turn around jumper and Manu Ginoblis quick slashing abilities

S13M
11-21-2009, 03:56 PM
I don't know. I'm more of a defensive minded player and I'm usually assigned to guard the opposition's best perimeter player.

Most of my points come on fastbreaks, though I'll make the occasional open jumper in half-court game.

anthonyRandolph
11-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Anthony Randolph and Kevin Durant.

MannyO
11-21-2009, 06:44 PM
I try to play like Chris Paul because he is always in control of the game. He gets his team involved and he could drop 50 if he needs to. I also like how he gets to the basket.

Swaggin916
11-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Kobe... But I play almost exactly like Ron Artest. I prefer to get my teammates involved butI can also score one on one (my handles are kind of weak tho and can lose the ball like him sometimes) and am a good post player and rebounder. My post moves are like Kobe's tho...

NotYetGreat
11-22-2009, 12:37 AM
I don't think that there's one single player I base my game on. Most players have extremes or something. They're so great at doing "x" but they can't do much of "y". Not saying I have no holes in my game. I have a lot, but then I'd rather take many dimensions of the game from various players rather than try to emulate or duplicate a single player's style.

halffttime
11-22-2009, 02:51 AM
people say i'm a combination of michael jordan, kobe bryant, isiah thomas, greg ostertag, larry bird, david thompson...

Swaggin916
11-22-2009, 03:31 AM
people say i'm a combination of michael jordan, kobe bryant, isiah thomas, greg ostertag, larry bird, david thompson...

One of those doesn't fit :lol

Junny
11-22-2009, 12:20 PM
I don't really base my game on one player. The ones that immediately come to mind are Tim Duncan and Shaq. Even then I don't really "study" them. I do however, always watch players with their back to the basket when I watch an NBA game.

JG000
11-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Closest player right now for me is Stephen Curry.

ProfessorMurder
11-22-2009, 06:26 PM
I never really tried to imitate anyone's game... My shooting form was kind of modeled after Karl Malone's, weird enough.

I'd say I compare to Pierce/Turkoglu. Never the fastest/strongest, but I have a great mid range game, finish with contact, create my own shot. I'm also deadly from 3.

I don't like being the primary ball handler, because I feel like I need to pass all the time at PG... But I bring it up on occasion or if the PG is out.

MannyO
11-22-2009, 06:53 PM
I need to work on my ball handling A LOT now too. Over the summer my handles were well on point but I slacked off and can barely dribble now.

ProfessorMurder
11-22-2009, 07:10 PM
I need to work on my ball handling A LOT now too. Over the summer my handles were well on point but I slacked off and can barely dribble now.

Me too. Yesterday I went on a 2 1/4 mile walk, while dribbling and practicing my moves. My f*cking arms are killing me now. I haven't dribbled that much in a long ass time.

phoenix18
11-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Iverson. I am a monster on the break. I am also pretty good with oops as well.

LevisJeans
11-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Iverson. I am a monster on the break. I am also pretty good with oops as well.

I hope you meant throwing alley oops. I don't remember the last time AI caught one.

phoenix18
11-22-2009, 09:45 PM
I hope you meant throwing alley oops. I don't remember the last time AI caught one.
:oldlol: Yes throwing. He has caught some in his career as well. It was either that or just a really bad pass and he caught and laid it up in mid-air.

iTwistAnkles
11-26-2009, 10:07 PM
who do you base your game on?

umm.. Imma Do me :pimp:

Nash-tastic
11-29-2009, 06:31 AM
A mixture of Tony Parker's quickness, I try to shoot like Kobe, but I mainly play like G-Force with more quickness and less athletism

dab0yech0
12-01-2009, 11:54 PM
I watch and study how Eric Gordon shoots so effortlessly by using his lower body and base and I also study how easy he gets to the rim

GiveItToBurrito
12-02-2009, 03:48 PM
I want to play like Gil or Tracy McGrady, but it's actually a lot closer to Antawn Jamison - threes, post ups, and finger rolls. I've been working really hard on getting a mid range game, though, and I always feel like Kobe or Paul Pierce any time I hit a fadeaway or a jumper off the dribble.

Kobe8
12-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Kobe Cause I like to ISO a lot and i think they have made up a word for that , ballhog, lol.. but thank god kobe has change for the last 2 1/2 yrs.

I can't be a pg because I havn't mastered my left dribbling skill and i dribble the ball slow.. when we're running the fast break i always look down and dribble.

every time i try to execute an ISO play for myself , I call someone to hit me a screen and drive from the right side and spin/turn around like kobe.

like how he did against d-howard in the finals.

everytime im on the post i do it like shaq or kobe. i do the hook shot or shoot fadeaway.

i can read plays when my defense is set.

-NiCo

lespauldude
12-18-2009, 02:32 AM
dwyane wade. i like slashing in through people. i'm still working out building up some strength and confidence but once i do, i think i'll have a good combination to go with my relatively solid jump shooting.

DWade also has a sick sick crossover. i'm pretty damn fast but tend to bring the ball over right to left too quickly and turnover more often than acceptable. gotta work on my handles.

oh yea, another thing that mr. flash has on me: dunking. =D

Rake2204
12-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Detroit Pistons' Grant Hill

Maniak
12-19-2009, 12:00 AM
You tell me;

Im pass first.

As far as shooting, Im good from the FT line and in, still dont have much range. My main skill scoring-wise is using quickness and driving in.

I can make most passes, Ive worked on getting the ball to someone in the hardest situations.

I try to make sure off the ball Im moving around trying to get open or whatever needs to be done.

As far as defense I like trying to play the passing lanes, but its good as long as I stay in front of my man and hold him down. Im not a very good offball defender(one of my larger flaws in my game) but Im working on my defense in a whole.

Yeah, who is that like?

I try to base lots of things I do off of Steve Nash, and its funny this thread was made because I do wonder what some good players to analyze.

JEFFERSON MONEY
12-19-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm some Tyrus Thomas's tenacity on rebounding, blocking, and post defense, mixed with Rip Hamilton's constant movement on offense, and RayRay's sweet stroke. Oh and Kobe's tenacious slashing too.

JG000
12-23-2009, 08:53 AM
You tell me;

Im pass first.

As far as shooting, Im good from the FT line and in, still dont have much range. My main skill scoring-wise is using quickness and driving in.

I can make most passes, Ive worked on getting the ball to someone in the hardest situations.

I try to make sure off the ball Im moving around trying to get open or whatever needs to be done.

As far as defense I like trying to play the passing lanes, but its good as long as I stay in front of my man and hold him down. Im not a very good offball defender(one of my larger flaws in my game) but Im working on my defense in a whole.

Yeah, who is that like?

Andre Miller

mjkittredge
12-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Paul Pierce. Watched him since he was drafted in the NBA. Take and make 3s with confidence, mid-range jumpshots, short ones, all kinds of moves to get open, glide to the rim fling it off the glass and finish with contact. Get on a roll and take over games, play badly at first but not get down emotionally, then pick it up and win. Play non-flashy, underrated good hard defense bothering shots and getting deflections & steals. Be a good teammate and pass the ball, get everyone involved. Move well without the ball, talk on defense, compliment good plays. The one thing PP doesn't do much that I do, is post up and use pivot moves.

A basketball role model, it's "The Truth" :rockon:

5foot6
12-26-2009, 11:00 PM
nate robinson cuz i can get up there:rockon:

iamgine
12-27-2009, 12:58 AM
Sasha Vujacic. I just wait for threes and play excellent defense.

Maniak
12-27-2009, 01:01 AM
Andre Miller
Ooh, good choice.

Sotheara
12-28-2009, 01:14 AM
It varies. Scottie Pippen. Kobe. Lebron. Lamarcus Aldridge. KG. Shawn Kemp.

Whoever inspires me to work on my game. I go out there and just work on my game.

Maga_1
12-28-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm a Ricky Rubio , not kiddin at all.

daboy31
01-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Penny Hardaway.

NY-Knicks
01-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Chauncey Billups

Automajic23
01-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Bosh/Amare/KG/Rip/Melo

Timmy D for MVP
01-22-2010, 07:46 PM
I don't base my game on an NBA player. I base it on the person I learned the game from, my cousin's. He learned from Chuck Hayes but physically we don't match up so the main thing from Chuck was the mentality.

I am compared to Tayshaun all the time although I'm playing point guard more and more so...

Maga_1
01-22-2010, 07:59 PM
You got lenght like Tayshaun?
I think that's a good thing for a PG.

Kumo
01-22-2010, 08:29 PM
I like it in the post, so I have the sky hook.. but I base everything else off of Travis Outlaw kind of. Shoot jump shots, the fade away all the time, and try to jump high like him, heh.

Euroball5
01-23-2010, 04:04 AM
Although i don't necessarily base my game on anyone i like how chris pauls, steve nashs brandon jennings ricky rubios and john walls style of play and try to take a couple things from them(I'm a point guard)

lilojmayo
01-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Derrick Rose and Derron Williams.

now i play a lot like Russell Wesbrook since I am a ton faster than i was just 2 months ago.

carpevicis
02-21-2010, 07:28 PM
I love Monta Ellis's game because he's so fast and has a perfect midrange shot, and I really like Kevin Martin's ability to draw so many fouls.

Mentality wise, I like Steve Nash and Shane Battier.

Sticks
03-05-2010, 05:08 AM
I base my game on Andre Miller, solid mid-range game, not a great leaper but I can get to the cup and finish strong if I put my mind to it and I don't need much room to go up. I'm also fond of posting up smallers defenders when I get the chance.

My role on my team is different though, people sometimes call me the LeBron of the team. Now I don't have any illusions about the level of my game or my leaping abillity. What's similar is that on fast-breaks I'm usually the guy bringing the ball up and I also become a point-forward when our point-guard goes out. This allows me to take advantage of mismatches seeing as I can post smaller guards at 6'3" or blow by my usual defenders outside on the perimeter and pull in help and kick to our bigs/shooters.

Also similar between me and LeBron is that my outside shot is still a bit suspect ;)

JerzeyBlaze
03-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Jermaine O'neal and Ron Artest in a 6'0 body

ElBronco
03-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Bosh/Amare/KG/Rip/Melo

Those are some very different skill sets. In what ways have you combined them?

bdreason
03-06-2010, 03:35 AM
Timmy D.

I've been trying to emulate his game for the past 10 years (unsuccessfully of course).

EliteBaller56
03-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Dwight Howard/Shaq/ and Paul Pierce

For my height and ability to sink the ball in easily

devin34harris
03-13-2010, 02:45 PM
I like how cdr plays. He can score anytime he wants. I play just like him, but I pass more.

OnceInADECADE
03-15-2010, 02:01 PM
sort of like allen iverson n rondo

HylianNightmare
03-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Prime Allen iverson

SourPatchKids
03-15-2010, 08:41 PM
My jumper is very similar to Ginobli's even though im right handed and he's a lefty.

Fallguy20
03-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Chris Anderson

BaByBrON
03-20-2010, 04:35 PM
I dont really base my game on anyone in particular, but everybody who saw me play compared me to Josh Smith and LeBron even if im only 5 foot 11. I got hops so i use it to da max. I cant dunk a basketball yet but im close. (One month max and i will). But yea...i can grab rebounds over ppl way taller than me, nice midrange game, i drive easy and can finish with both hands, but my strenght is D. Especially blocks. I do chase down blocks a lot like Bron. I get at least 2 blocks a game. lot of fastbreaks too.

Swaggin916
03-20-2010, 10:14 PM
I dont really base my game on anyone in particular, but everybody who saw me play compared me to Josh Smith and LeBron even if im only 5 foot 11. I got hops so i use it to da max. I cant dunk a basketball yet but im close. (One month max and i will). But yea...i can grab rebounds over ppl way taller than me, nice midrange game, i drive easy and can finish with both hands, but my strenght is D. Especially blocks. I do chase down blocks a lot like Bron. I get at least 2 blocks a game. lot of fastbreaks too.

Yup that sounds a lot like Lebron and Josh Smith :applause:

Lancerballer21
03-20-2010, 11:32 PM
I know this isn't an NBA player but i play kinda like Dallas Lauderdale from Ohio State. Im just a presence inside, don't really need the ball much but if you leave me open within like ten feet, there is a good chance ill make it. Also on defense im a little undersized sometimes (im 6'5") but i put up a good fight and people find it difficult to get the ball.

aintn0busta
04-06-2010, 02:55 AM
When I first started playing ball, I was in love with Monta Ellis's midrange J. He could get it off so quick and it was nearly always money. I also liked how creative he was finishing around the basket.

The way he played is what I tried to imitate while I was learning.

SEEBASS1234
04-15-2010, 09:27 AM
people say my shooting technique like paul pierce (which is funny because i hate him). i am a really good ball handler. i can hit the open shot and the eventual contested one. and i average around 5-7 assists a game. i suck really bad at rebounding though. and i get a block every other game but i play pretty good d.

so i'd say i play like '93 John Starks without the athleticism.

Mr Clutch Melo
05-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Shane Battier

I play smart d and hit 3s on the corner:cheers:

L3B120N J4M35
05-25-2010, 11:22 PM
I play like Ray Allen cause I can knock down the three, I got a very good mid-range, and I can also drive it in and get the lay-up. I also always move without the ball. I sorta play like JR Smith too, streaky.

JerrySteakhouse
05-26-2010, 03:09 AM
D.Wade/T-Mac Mix... been watching almost every game of these guys throughout their career and just learned like that.

NY-Knicks
05-26-2010, 01:20 PM
my playing style has changed a lot.

Shooting guard, for my competition I am pretty big at my position. Can run the point even though I am not the best passer. 6'3, 197 lbs.

Most of my points come from getting into the lane and getting contact, can hit the pull-up jumper and the three when left open. I get a lot of points by posting up smaller guards. My dribbling and finishing moves look like Tyreke Evans. Who would you guys compare me to?

Cookie Monster
05-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Play hard D, gritty, always running and hustling. Hit the mid-range j

HONDO

Sakkreth
05-26-2010, 04:24 PM
6'3 nearly perfected fadeaway, high percentage mini hooks, almost perfect mid jumpers shooting, often driving the lane jumping high and releasing 3 foot floaters, high percentage 3s, skinny, long arms, quite good ability to steal and good ability to rebound for my height, ok dribling(just one deadly fake move else is average). Can dunk with two hands, but i am white. Biggest minus not that good strenght... Forgot that i am not a bad passer.

Tell me if u know anyone of style like this. Btw yeah i am playing for some crappy basketball school team(i am 18yrs old gonna graduate from there at monday lol) and i am highest scorer there.

Swaggin916
05-26-2010, 05:56 PM
my playing style has changed a lot.

Shooting guard, for my competition I am pretty big at my position. Can run the point even though I am not the best passer. 6'3, 197 lbs.

Most of my points come from getting into the lane and getting contact, can hit the pull-up jumper and the three when left open. I get a lot of points by posting up smaller guards. My dribbling and finishing moves look like Tyreke Evans. Who would you guys compare me to?

I can't really think of a gaurd who posts that isn't a good passer. Billups, Payton, Kidd... then there are 2's like Kobe and Jordan but it's kind of egotistical to compare yourself to them lol (they and pass fairly well too).

I guess Billups would be the closest player I can think of tho.

Lebron23
05-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Samboy Lim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PAonungFNw&feature=related&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shz8xa9hnAU&feature=related&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wUN7aIKLDo

JerrySteakhouse
05-27-2010, 09:07 AM
It actually depends on the competition and teammates. I find myself playing like a D.Wade/T-Mac type when im the best on the team have no solid pg. But if i got a good point gaurd i usually come off off-ball screens and hit my jumpers. I always find my self trying to take over a game when we down though. Main thing that lacks in my game is that im only 5'10, though in high school ive played every position (even center at times :|) so very versatile.

-Great shooter (especially mid range), i can hit it off the dribble or set
-Good passer
-Decent defense (a little slow on D due to knee/ankly injuries)
-Rebounding usually isnt my role but if it has to be done im not a bad rebounder
-Handles are good but I find myself too dominant with my right hand and barely go left in games, gotta work on that
-My footwork is really good, probably not the fastest/quickest guy on the court at times but my footwork gets me where i need to be

I've been compared to:
-Pierce
-T-Mac
-Manu
-Brandon Roy
-Wade
-Mike James (only cuz im from toronto and he was tearing it up that one year lol)

i hear all these comparisons but i probably play more like wade/t-mac im guessin

NY-Knicks
05-27-2010, 11:10 AM
I can't really think of a gaurd who posts that isn't a good passer. Billups, Payton, Kidd... then there are 2's like Kobe and Jordan but it's kind of egotistical to compare yourself to them lol (they and pass fairly well too).

I guess Billups would be the closest player I can think of tho.

I do have the MJ/Kobe approach to the game and the ability to post up as a shooting guard, but that is where it ends. Well, I first thought Billups but he isn't a scoring shooting guard like me. I actually though Tyreke was a decent comparison as far as playing style. Haven't based my game on him though. But I have a big body for the position, gets most points in the paint, not the best passer (he's decent but not very good). I do post up more and my jumper is decent when I am not changing my form like right now.

Does anyone know a way to improve my passing ability.

JerrySteakhouse
05-27-2010, 11:27 AM
I do have the MJ/Kobe approach to the game and the ability to post up as a shooting guard, but that is where it ends. Well, I first thought Billups but he isn't a scoring shooting guard like me. I actually though Tyreke was a decent comparison as far as playing style. Haven't based my game on him though. But I have a big body for the position, gets most points in the paint, not the best passer (he's decent but not very good). I do post up more and my jumper is decent when I am not changing my form like right now.

Does anyone know a way to improve my passing ability.

Straight up.. play pick up games, make them cut and take risks.

CelticBaller
06-05-2010, 12:44 PM
I am a point forward who can do no look pass and very good in 3 pt shooting, so I guess Jalen Rose

Maga_1
06-05-2010, 06:08 PM
I said before that i was like Ricky Rubio (some people here say the same) but now that i'm seeing my dvd's with some friends they say that i'm a mix of Ricky Rubio with Rajon Rondo .. but i don't understand why ahah

bobbyflay
06-06-2010, 02:57 PM
I mostly study allen iverson, kobe bryant, dwayde wayne, chris paul, rajon rondo, and the people who play at the park close to me.

JoHnShOeZ1492
06-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Offense : Baron Davis
Defense: Paul Pierce

lilyi
06-15-2010, 11:12 PM
amar'e stoudemire

Sticks
06-17-2010, 04:57 AM
amar'e stoudemire

No defense playing, no rebounding, pick and roll big man?

forensic91
06-17-2010, 04:51 PM
No defense playing, no rebounding, pick and roll big man?
:roll:

OJMayoDaFuture
07-21-2010, 12:07 AM
I Would Have To Say J.R Smith/Jamal Crawford Im Kinda Trigger Happy Guard Or Jus Have Alot Of Confidence

:party::party::party:

Rake2204
07-21-2010, 12:21 AM
I also have a touch of young Latrell Sprewell.

But again, minus the NBA level skill, explosive hops and most anything else.

Swaggin916
07-21-2010, 01:40 AM
I also have a touch of young Latrell Sprewell.

But again, minus the NBA level skill, explosive hops and most anything else.

dude I think we are all in the same boat there :lol

Rake2204
07-21-2010, 01:45 PM
dude I think we are all in the same boat there :lol
True, it just feels like I'm setting myself up anytime I compare my game to that of an NBA player. As if the next poster is going to come in and say, "What? Latrell Sprewell?! You mean you once dunked Jaren Jackson at MSG during the NBA Finals? I don't think so jerk."

L3B120N J4M35
07-22-2010, 01:50 AM
I Would Have To Say J.R Smith/Jamal Crawford Im Kinda Trigger Happy Guard Or Jus Have Alot Of Confidence

:party::party::party:

same here haha