PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Feature On Lack Of White American Players

J-Futuristic
12-06-2009, 01:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4718857&categoryid=2459788

I really thought Adam Morrison was going to be somebody in the leauge.

Rekindled
12-06-2009, 02:26 PM
there are plenty of white american players in the nba. have you watched the pacers.

visirale
12-06-2009, 02:28 PM
This is why JJ Redick used to have the highest selling jersey on the Magic.

Go Getter
12-06-2009, 02:32 PM
I never understood why the NBA goes to Europe for shooters when the best shooters have always been American and a lot of times white american.

Bird
Kerr
Legler
Price
Mullins
Barry
West

I've never seen a Euro player sans Marcelonis [Rip] shoot it like them.

And before you say Dirk....Dirk is a 7 footer that shoots too many jumpshots and has never shot 50% for a whole year, not too impressive IMO.

bagelred
12-06-2009, 02:32 PM
there are plenty of white american players in the nba. have you watched the pacers.

Tyler Hansborough :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

When they took him so high....how more obvious can you get.:hammerhead:

wRedJ10
12-06-2009, 02:35 PM
http://sportsfortruefans.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/brook-lopez3.jpg
The best white american player of 2009

Rekindled
12-06-2009, 02:36 PM
I never understood why the NBA goes to Europe for shooters when the best shooters have always been American and a lot of times white american.

Bird
Kerr
Legler
Price
Mullins
Barry
West

And before you say Dirk....Dirk is a 7 footer that shoots too many jumpshots and has never shot 50% for a whole year, not too impressive IMO.

non of them were better shooter than Drazen Petrovic...

elementally morale
12-06-2009, 02:37 PM
It was well worth the time it took me to watch it. Thanks.

bagelred
12-06-2009, 02:37 PM
http://sportsfortruefans.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/brook-lopez3.jpg
The best white american player of 2009

His name is Lopez. Isn't he hispanic?

Rekindled
12-06-2009, 02:38 PM
well david lee is on his way to all star game this year , so is lopez.

kNIOKAS
12-06-2009, 02:39 PM
lee is chinese, like lee, bruce lee

Rekindled
12-06-2009, 02:41 PM

then brook lopez must be hispanic then, like george lopez.

kaktus14
12-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Exactly:cheers:

QuebecBaller
12-06-2009, 02:43 PM
No love for Kevin Love?

bagelred
12-06-2009, 02:44 PM
then brook lopez must be hispanic then, like george lopez.

Just looked it up. His dad was Cuban. So he is part hispanic.

Uh...gee....if you tell me someone's name is Lopez, you can't think....gee, maybe he's hispanic.

Are we that PC in this country now?

Go Getter
12-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Ahh Petro WAS a good Shooter but I'd take Detlef Shrempf [sp] over him....at any rate Detlef and Drazen were awesome shooters but not on the level of Kerr, Legs, or Price.

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Not with all that losing.

KG215
12-06-2009, 03:08 PM
I never understood why the NBA goes to Europe for

Dirk is a 7 footer that shoots too many jumpshots and has never shot 50% for a whole year, not too impressive IMO.

Wrong. You're a moron if you don't think Dirk is one of the best all-around shooters ever. He, Nash, and Bird are the only 3 members in NBA history that are a part of the 50-40-90 club.

2006-2007: 673-1341 .502, 72-123 .416 (3P), 498-551 .901 (FT)

He also went .480-.406-.901 in 05-06.

Mister JT
12-06-2009, 03:08 PM
But, I think there are also Cubans who are white. Although, I don't know what percent of their population is white.

I hope Knicks win more games so Lee can have a better shot at being an all-star. He didn't even score and rebound like he does now when he was in Florida. The video talked about white Americans lacking athleticism. Lee is rare kind of white American because has that sneaky athleticism that has helped him become better than average in the NBA.

I don't get how Nocioni, Ginobili and Fernandez can have the kind of athleticism they have, and guys like Morrison don't. Chris Andersen and Mike Miller seem to be the most athletic white Americans (from the USA) in the NBA. Aside from Lee.

Budinger has been able to carry over his athleticism, and it has helped him adjust better to the NBA.

And it's good that they talked about the European whites' (and non-whites) advantage of having more practice time at an early age. Because even relatively unathletic Euro white guys like Calderon has had more impact in the NBA than white American point guard prospects.

After seeing that feature, I hope that McAlarney eventually makes it to the NBA.

sergiorodriguez
12-06-2009, 03:09 PM

Bird
Kerr
Legler
Price
Mullins
Barry
West

Have you ever heard of Peja Stojakovic? Detlef Schremf? Even Arvydas Sabonis and Rik Smits?

KG215
12-06-2009, 03:11 PM
And no one has even mentioned arguably the greatest shooter ever, Pete Maravich??

Revelation
12-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I don't get how Nocioni, Ginobili and Fernandez can have the kind of athleticism they have, and guys like Morrison don't. Chris Andersen and Mike Miller seem to be the most athletic white Americans (from the USA) in the NBA. Aside from Lee.

You're forgetting Joe Alexander, who is probably one of the best pure athletes in the whole league.

KempSonics
12-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Chris Kaman is a solid athlete.

QuebecBaller
12-06-2009, 03:20 PM
You're forgetting Joe Alexander, who is probably one of the best pure athletes in the whole league.
:rockon:

Lyoto15
12-06-2009, 03:24 PM

Agreed !

Go Getter
12-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Wrong. You're a moron if you don't think Dirk is one of the best all-around shooters ever. He, Nash, and Bird are the only 3 members in NBA history that are a part of the 50-40-90 club.

2006-2007: 673-1341 .502, 72-123 .416 (3P), 498-551 .901 (FT)

He also went .480-.406-.901 in 05-06.

For a 7-footer with his game there is NO WAY he should ever shoot under 50% from the field.....he is an underachiever....n o way in hell tony parker or any guard should have more points in the paint than him or shoot a higher percentage in the paint than him.

What the **** is a 50-40-90 club lmao......Bird is the only person in that trio with anything that matters.....Dirk is soft and hasn't won spit....I honestly feel he gets less flack because he is foreign.....he wussed up in the finals where great players step up.

Go Getter
12-06-2009, 03:26 PM
And no one has even mentioned arguably the greatest shooter ever, Pete Maravich??

You got me there. Duly noted.

Go Getter
12-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Have you ever heard of Peja Stojakovic? Detlef Schremf? Even Arvydas Sabonis and Rik Smits?

Slap yoself for mentioning Peja.....he had like 3 or 4 good years....and I did mention Shremf [with respect] but I feel like Mullins was a better shooter....and Bird....and Legler....and Mark Price.....and Pistol Pete.....

Rik Smits and Sabonis were great players but not great shooters imo....we were speaking on shooters.

LJJ
12-06-2009, 03:31 PM

Alexander is not the most athletic white American in the NBA, cause he is not in the NBA.

sergiorodriguez
12-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Dunleavy Jr is probably the best white american, he is actually pretty good and gets good stats, if he was a laker or knick for example he'd be a much bigger star I think. Kevin Love is ok. But on the whole white people arent that good.

How come white guys like Manu, Pau and Rudy have the athleticism to do well in the NBA but no white american white guys do? White americans got too much mcdonalds imo

sergiorodriguez
12-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Kirk Hinrich is the best white guy defender, he is actually pretty good but still the only thing people remember him for is Deron Williams breaking his ankles lol

is Shane Battier a white guy? Mike Miller is also decent. There's lots of white americans, they just arent stars

Revelation
12-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Alexander is not the most athletic white American in the NBA, cause he is not in the NBA.
He's on the Bucks roster. How is he not in the NBA?

LJJ
12-06-2009, 03:38 PM
He's on the Bucks roster. How is he not in the NBA?

Really? I heard the Bucks didn't lift his option and I haven't seen him this year.

Revelation
12-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Really? I heard the Bucks didn't lift his option and I haven't seen him this year.

He's injured. Right Hamstring.

http://www.nba.com/bucks/roster/index.html

KG215
12-06-2009, 03:46 PM
For a 7-footer with his game there is NO WAY he should ever shoot under 50% from the field.....he is an underachiever....n o way in hell tony parker or any guard should have more points in the paint than him or shoot a higher percentage in the paint than him.

What the **** is a 50-40-90 club lmao......Bird is the only person in that trio with anything that matters.....Dirk is soft and hasn't won spit....I honestly feel he gets less flack because he is foreign.....he wussed up in the finals where great players step up.

Yeah, because shooting 50% from the field, 40% from three, and 90% from the free throw line over the course of an entire season isn't anything special, and it definitely doesn't speak of your overall shooting prowess.

7 footer or not, Dirk (and you know it) is a face up PF who lives around the FT line and plays more like a SF than a C. He's a great shooter and call him "soft as spit" all you want but in this MVP season and the year the Mavs lost in the finals, he had plenty of "alpha-dog, no way in hell we're losing this game" moments. He folded in the finals, I'll give you that, but anyone with a brain that watched that Finals, know the officials sent Dwyane Wade to the fre throw line everytime someone breathed on him.

I know neither has a ring, but between the two of them Nash and Dirk have 3 MVP's. And you scoffing at the 50-40-90 club like it's a joke just makes you look stupid.

twolvesfan
12-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Kevin Love

The great white hope:rockon:

Showtime
12-06-2009, 03:58 PM
There's more money in baseball.

u83
12-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Too many basketball hoops in driveways for white people. When I was most enthusiastic about basketball at about age 12, it meant a few hours a week at the gym with an organized team while the season lasted, and a whole lot of time chillin in the driveway shooting around and chatting, with an occasional easy game like 33. Nothing to build athleticism or real skills. Plus the driveway was uneven so I wasn't even that good at shooting.

stephanieg
12-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Where's an ESPN feature about the lack of Middle Eastern, Indian, and Chinese players?

White guys have such low standards from fans. If they can just barely dunk they're "athletic." Even supposedly good white players from abroad are soft and shoot threes all day. None of them can really play a lick of D either.

Basically the only way for a white player to succeed in the modern day NBA is to shoot threes or to rack up assists by giving the ball up to the black guys (the Nash/Stockton route).

Bodhi
12-06-2009, 04:39 PM
White guys have such low standards from fans. If they can just barely dunk they're "athletic." Even supposedly good white players from abroad are soft and shoot threes all day. None of them can really play a lick of D either.

Uh, Pau Gasol is arguably the best low post player in the league. Players being soft and shooting too many jumpers is a trend in the entire league, not just Euros. Look at players like Bosh and Wade. Wade is shooting four 3s a game at a rate of 25%.

magnax1
12-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Steve Nash is Canadian, same thing. Bibby is white, and I liked to point out he sucks, and I hate him. Mike Dunleavy, Brook Lopez, Kevin Love and David Lee are all capable players. I really wonder what logical explanation there is for a lack of good white Americans there is.

sergiorodriguez
12-06-2009, 04:48 PM
the logic is white people cant guard great athletes, except for Hinrich and Ginobili, and most white athletes dont work hard enough on their game to make up for their inherant lack of athleticism. The white guys who have athleticism like Joe Alexander and David Lee have no game at all, they need to work harder. Manu and Pau are great athletes AND great skill because they worked so hard. Whities just seem like they aren't putting in enough work on their game. The ones that do, such as Dunleavy Jr, Pau and Manu are flourishing.

bagelred
12-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Forget basketball players.

When was the last time you saw a white cornerback in the NFL. Right. Never.

I guess they don't work hard enough.

LJJ
12-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Bibby is white, and I liked to point out he sucks, and I hate him.

Bibby isn't white. He's white like Jason Kidd.

magnax1
12-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Bibby isn't white. He's white like Jason Kidd.
Really? He doesn't look it, but I guess If I hadn't seen Kidd's afro, he wouldn't either. Kidd's afro on the suns was seriously disguisting looking. I would never forget that.

stephanieg
12-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Mike Dunleavy, Brook Lopez, Kevin Love and David Lee are all capable players. I really wonder what logical explanation there is for a lack of good white Americans there is.

All these listed players are bad and worse than Zach Randolph. Gasol's nickname is "Gasoft," and that's from LA fans.

EDIT: Also, the example ESPN used of a guy being overlooked by the racist system is a sub 6 footer who can't defend and who shoots threes. Good job ESPN.

magnax1
12-06-2009, 05:16 PM
All these listed players are bad and worse than Zach Randolph. Gasol's nickname is "Gasoft," and that's from LA fans.
So Brook Lopez's 19 points, 2 bocks, and 9 rebounds with good defense is worse than Zbo's 18 points, 9 rebounds with horrifying defense? Or David Lee's 18-10 with capable D is worse the Randolph?

catch24
12-06-2009, 05:18 PM

EDIT: Also, the example ESPN used of a guy being overlooked by the racist system is a sub 6 footer who can't defend and who shoots threes. Good job ESPN.

You don

Diesel J
12-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Steve Nash is Canadian, same thing. Bibby is white, and I liked to point out he sucks, and I hate him. Mike Dunleavy, Brook Lopez, Kevin Love and David Lee are all capable players. I really wonder what logical explanation there is for a lack of good white Americans there is.

Bibby is black on both sides

Brook Lopez is half Afro-Cuban. Relative from their Black Cuban side (father)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/sports/ncaabasketball/26stanford.html

When Brook hit the winning shot with two seconds left in overtime Saturday, giving Stanford an 82-81 victory over Marquette, their mother, Debby Ledford, was watching from near the Cardinal’s bench. Her presence and the location of the arena — near Disneyland, in Anaheim, Calif. — were appropriate. Ledford, a high school teacher, raised them as a divorced single parent and encouraged a wide-ranging education along with sports.

She also took them to the theme park to spark their imaginations. “As a kid, it seemed like there were no boundaries to the park; it seemed like it went on and on forever,” Robin said. “It really blurred the line between what was real and what was fantasy.”

Bound now for a bigger and brighter stage this weekend and possible professional careers, the Lopez brothers are emerging as if they were characters in a storybook.

Brook, the power forward with the shorter hair, is considered the better offensive player and a potential first-round draft choice in the N.B.A. Robin, the longer-haired center, is better defensively but not as talented over all.

But they hold one thing in common: they are inquisitive free spirits. Taj Finger, a senior forward for Stanford, said at a news conference last weekend that “Robin also loves to sing.” The junior guard Anthony Goods added, “Brook loves to tell Robin to shut up.”

When Finger described them as “goofballs,” Goods added: “They’re funny guys. They’re characters.” Robin, told that his bushy hair makes him look like Sideshow Bob on “The Simpsons,” replied, “I take it as a compliment.”

The androgynous first names of Brook and Robin suggest nature: flowing water and a bird. Some of their verbal skill and athletic talent comes from their mother, a former swimmer who speaks German and Spanish and tried out for the 1968 Olympic team.

She later married and divorced Heriberto Lopez, a baseball player from Cuba who was the cousin of Marcelino Lopez, who pitched in the major leagues. But Ledford said the blend of the athletic and the intellectual goes back at least one more generation.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8136/07f2f6c83a.jpg (http://img694.imageshack.us/i/07f2f6c83a.jpg/)

stephanieg
12-06-2009, 05:25 PM
So Brook Lopez's 19 points, 2 bocks, and 9 rebounds with good defense is worse than Zbo's 18 points, 9 rebounds with horrifying defense? Or David Lee's 18-10 with capable D is worse the Randolph?

This is what I mean by low ball expectations. David Lee does not play "capable D." That's like saying Nash is decent at defense because he tries really, really hard. Yeah, he does. But he still sucks. At best, all these guys put up great numbers on godawful bad teams. And this is the peak that white players can hope to reach. Or the Gasol situation, I guess. There's always that 0.01%.

But at least there are a fair amount of white players in the league, even American ones. ME? Asian? Indian? Who cares if that's like half the planet's population right there.

Bano114
12-06-2009, 05:38 PM

Bird
Kerr
Legler
Price
Mullins
Barry
West

Have you seen the current 3 pt leader in the NBA? White player drafted out of Italy....Danilo Gallinari...:D

twolvesfan
12-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Have you seen the current 3 pt leader in the NBA? White player drafted out of Italy....Danilo Gallinari...:D
you mean channing frye?

cotdt
12-06-2009, 06:03 PM
What about Black Griffin? He's half-white and home grown.

sergiorodriguez
12-06-2009, 06:12 PM

Are you a moron? Lopez and Love worst than blackhole Randolph? He is the Ricky Davis of bigmen. Dunleavy is also MUCH MUCH better than Randolph.

Also Gasol doesnt play soft anymore, he lost that nickname last christmas after he beasted vs the Celtics, playing tough, and kept up his tough play to the present day.

You need to get with the times, its 2009 now lady, not 2007

Darius
12-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Decent article.

Another reason European players are taking White American's spots is probably because they are given a chance to be stars in their country.

White Americans with talent are usually pigeonholed in college as roleplayers are thus aren't able to develop as well.

Swaggin916
12-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Here is the deal. Black people on a whole are quicker than white people. there are plenty of fast white guys and guys who jump high. What there aren't, are white guys who can move their feet and turn their hips at a lighting fast pace which is why there are basically no white running backs or cornerbacks. There are plenty of white receivers and safeties because it's much less reliant on the ability to turn quickly and in a receivers case you have an advantage because you aren't the one who has to react. It's something to do with tendons and joints and stuff... black people's are just built better.

On that same note, that's why most white people can't stay in front in people when playing defense... they can't react as well. If the opposing player is about as quick or quicker then they are going to beat the majority of the time unless they guess right. I'm white so I know this to be true... It doesn't matter what the person's race you are guarding is. Another thing black people have is length. Black people as a whole have longer arms and higher reach. Another great advantage. This is why most good white players are just spot up shooters... it's really the only place they can succeed. that doesn't mean some people can't break the mold... They are just few and far between.

sergiorodriguez
12-06-2009, 06:15 PM
This is what I mean by low ball expectations. David Lee does not play "capable D." That's like saying Nash is decent at defense because he tries really, really hard. Yeah, he does. But he still sucks. At best, all these guys put up great numbers on godawful bad teams. And this is the peak that white players can hope to reach. Or the Gasol situation, I guess. There's always that 0.01%.

But at least there are a fair amount of white players in the league, even American ones. ME? Asian? Indian? Who cares if that's like half the planet's population right there.
Indians all play cricket, they have good athletes but they will never get into basketball.

Also how do you explain Manu Ginobili and Rudy Fernandez?

rfm767
12-06-2009, 06:24 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4718857&categoryid=2459788

I really thought Adam Morrison was going to be somebody in the leauge.

adam morrisons got the 70's look, thats about all you can tell about him. One of the reasons Lakers bench sucks

Talent
12-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Here is the deal. Black people on a whole are quicker than white people. there are plenty of fast white guys and guys who jump high. What there aren't, are white guys who can move their feet and turn their hips at a lighting fast pace which is why there are basically no white running backs or cornerbacks. There are plenty of white receivers and safeties because it's much less reliant on the ability to turn quickly and in a receivers case you have an advantage because you aren't the one who has to react. It's something to do with tendons and joints and stuff... black people's are just built better.

On that same note, that's why most white people can't stay in front in people when playing defense... they can't react as well. If the opposing player is about as quick or quicker then they are going to beat the majority of the time unless they guess right. I'm white so I know this to be true... It doesn't matter what the person's race you are guarding is. Another thing black people have is length. Black people as a whole have longer arms and higher reach. Another great advantage. This is why most good white players are just spot up shooters... it's really the only place they can succeed. that doesn't mean some people can't break the mold... They are just few and far between.

You do know that there is no medical evidence that Black people have extra tendons and "Stuff"......that is a myth and a racist belief.

quasimoto
12-06-2009, 06:28 PM
You do know that there is no medical evidence that Black people have extra tendons and "Stuff"......that is a myth and a racist belief.
Yes there is. It's called evolution but I suppose you don't believe in that either.

sergiorodriguez
12-06-2009, 06:29 PM
how come kenyans and ethiopians always win marathons and the top distance runners are always kenyan and ethiopian? How come Jamaica, with such a tiny population, has so many of the fastest sprinters in the world? It's just luck? Nothing to do with genetics?

Lakeshow23
12-06-2009, 06:31 PM
People actually consider Brook Lopez a white American player :lol

You know there's a problem when this type of stuff goes down.

bagelred
12-06-2009, 06:53 PM
People actually consider Brook Lopez a white American player :lol

You know there's a problem when this type of stuff goes down.

If you want to really get people flustered, tell them Tiger Woods is Asian and Barack Obama is white. They don't know how to handle it.

I honestly believe most people in this country don't know either of those things..(1/2 Asian tiger, 1/2 white barack).

Hammertime
12-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Why aren't white American kids as good as their European or South American counterparts? The amateur athletics system in place in the USA. There is no way to play professional sports when you're 16, and as a result, no matter how good you are, you end up playing against ridiculously outmatched opponents. This is also why American bigs without several years of college, regardless of race, can't shoot worth sh*t.

Robert Swift was drafted 12th, for the love of g-d, based on putting up 20-15 with 5 blocks against future accountants, baristas, assembly-line workers, and possibly one or two Div-1 players. Compare that to the caliber of players Dirk, Pau, Memo, or Bargs were playing against at 18. How the hell are you supposed to develop any meaningful skills when your games look like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64neDXrcCAs

FrenchDude
12-06-2009, 08:00 PM
how come kenyans and ethiopians always win marathons and the top distance runners are always kenyan and ethiopian?

Because they live in high altitude.

Revelation
12-06-2009, 09:24 PM
how come kenyans and ethiopians always win marathons and the top distance runners are always kenyan and ethiopian? How come Jamaica, with such a tiny population, has so many of the fastest sprinters in the world? It's just luck? Nothing to do with genetics?

It is believed to be due to the altitude and a host of other reasons. Genetics obviously play a role. It is hard to say why certain groups are physically superior in a specific category. Some obvious examples are, Caucasian men almost always being the strongest in the world. Or, African Americans almost always being the best leapers and sprinters.

sergiorodriguez
12-06-2009, 09:29 PM
It is believed to be due to the altitude and a host of other reasons. Genetics obviously play a role. It is hard to say why certain groups are physically superior in a specific category. Some obvious examples are, Caucasian men almost always being the strongest in the world. Or, African Americans almost always being the best leapers and sprinters.
Well what I know is Bolivians also live at high altitude and bolivians do not place well at long distance races ever.

Looks like genetics to me.

purple32gold
12-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Because they live in high altitude.
there are a few more reasons than that. its a socioeconomic thing firstly. they grow up from a young age running because it does not cost any money to join a group and many of them are running back and forth everyday anyways. there is a clear division between west african (which produces sprinters) and east african (which produces distance runners). the current thought is that many blacks in america today descend from their west african counterparts off the coasts of africa which is why there are such few successful black USA born distance runners. i think the environment you live in has as much to do with your athletic success as your genetics.

Bano114
12-06-2009, 09:47 PM
you mean channing frye?

No because Gallinari is leading the league in 3pts made this season. Frye is in second.

sergiorodriguez
12-06-2009, 09:49 PM
there are a few more reasons than that. its a socioeconomic thing firstly. they grow up from a young age running because it does not cost any money to join a group and many of them are running back and forth everyday anyways. there is a clear division between west african (which produces sprinters) and east african (which produces distance runners). the current thought is that many blacks in america today descend from their west african counterparts off the coasts of africa which is why there are such few successful black USA born distance runners. i think the environment you live in has as much to do with your athletic success as your genetics.
so it is genetics, east africans are genetically better at distance running, west africans are better at sprinting

purple32gold
12-06-2009, 09:52 PM
so it is genetics, east africans are genetically better at distance running, west africans are better at sprinting
that is what has been said. it isn't very hard to see either i watch a lot of t&f/xc. jamaicans and americans are descendants of west africans and own the sprints/jumps and you have ethiopians/morrocans/other east african countries that rule the distances.

Hammertime
12-06-2009, 10:49 PM
For what it's worth, only one man who was NOT of west African origin has run the 100 meters under 10 seconds.

twolvesfan
12-06-2009, 11:08 PM
No because Gallinari is leading the league in 3pts made this season. Frye is in second.
Channing Frye: 55 3PM 117 3PA 47% 3P%
Gallo: 56 3PM 127 3PA 44% 3P%

id say Frye has been more impressive in shooting threes this year

bagelred
12-06-2009, 11:15 PM
id say Frye has been more impressive in shooting threes this year

I'd say if Gallo was playing next to Nash, he'd be shooting 60% from 3 point land.

Bigsmoke
12-06-2009, 11:26 PM
wheres is a video about the low population of black Hockey players?

miller-time
12-06-2009, 11:45 PM
it is all about peoples investment time with players. a payoff is more likely to occur if you invest in a black kid with talent than a white one (whether you are a parent, coach or school).

give someone either john stockton or rajon rondo at 15 years old to spend time and money on, which one do you think they would invest in? (without the benefit of hindsight).

u83
12-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Well what I know is Bolivians also live at high altitude and bolivians do not place well at long distance races ever.

Looks like genetics to me.

Then you must also believe that African Americans are genetically predisposed to be criminals? After all, that statistic is more overwhelming than the fact that you can sample enough runners from the entire population of Kenya to win every marathon.

People who actually study human microbiology don't ever seem to believe in any scientifically identifiable difference in racial strength or cognitive ability or even behavior. I don't see why I should believe an internet tough guy.

sergiorodriguez
12-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Then you must also believe that African Americans are genetically predisposed to be criminals? After all, that statistic is more overwhelming than the fact that you can sample enough runners from the entire population of Kenya to win every marathon.

People who actually study human microbiology don't ever seem to believe in any scientifically identifiable difference in racial strength or cognitive ability or even behavior. I don't see why I should believe an internet tough guy.
that has nothing to do with anything. Bad bad analogy.

all animals can evolve to suit their surroundings but you're saying humans can't? For example people living in Kenya will never evolve to have their lungs be able to take in more oxygen, despite thousands of generations living in high altitudes there? They will never evolve to be leaner and less bulky because that kind of body functions better at high altitudes?

Every other species evolves to suit its environment but human beings dont? You are saying all of these things?

Swaggin916
12-07-2009, 12:39 AM

I never said that if you read my post. What I said was their tendons are built for moving quickly and explosion. If you want to deny that... you are just a moron. It's not about being racist.

zabuza666
12-07-2009, 12:57 AM

all animals can evolve to suit their surroundings but you're saying humans can't? For example people living in Kenya will never evolve to have their lungs be able to take in more oxygen, despite thousands of generations living in high altitudes there? They will never evolve to be leaner and less bulky because that kind of body functions better at high altitudes?

Every other species evolves to suit its environment but human beings dont? You are saying all of these things?

Does that mean it's fair to say that white people are more intelligent then black people; because all data points to that :confusedshrug:

Silverbullit
12-07-2009, 01:01 AM

Bird
Kerr
Legler
Price
Mullins
Barry
West

He did it in 2006-2007.

04mzwach
12-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Kevin Love will have a good career in the NBA. double double machine...plus now he is shooting the three like was talked about last year.

sergiorodriguez
12-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Does that mean it's fair to say that white people are more intelligent then black people; because all data points to that :confusedshrug:
No it doesn't. Data shows that people who can afford expensive educations and have nice houses do better on standardized tests that measure intelligence. It doesn't show that "white people are more intelligent than black people":hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

LT Ice Cream
12-07-2009, 01:04 AM
is farmar a white american?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh9tt-4ttEo

sergiorodriguez
12-07-2009, 01:05 AM
is farmar a white american?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh9tt-4ttEo
he's 3/4 black I think, his grandpa is a white jew, one of his parents is half white I believe but he's mostly black.

Al Thornton
12-07-2009, 01:08 AM
Dunleavy Jr is probably the best white american, he is actually pretty good and gets good stats, if he was a laker or knick for example he'd be a much bigger star I think. Kevin Love is ok. But on the whole white people arent that good.

How come white guys like Manu, Pau and Rudy have the athleticism to do well in the NBA but no white american white guys do? White americans got too much mcdonalds imo

:oldlol: Chris Kaman?

Mister JT
12-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Good point about Robert Swift.

And I think quick feet and agility is a huge part of athleticism too. Because a guy like Joe Alexander can jump with the best of them, but I don't think he's all that quick on the court. That is what hinders him.

And white Americans should not rely only on the fundementals because the game is more than fundamentals. A lot of white Americans seem to have the traditional "coach's son" mentality, relying too much on the basics of basketball. A big part of the game is creativity, being able to improvise. Nash has it and that's why he's still one of the top players today even at his age.

sergiorodriguez
12-07-2009, 01:12 AM
:oldlol: Chris Kaman?
Yeh Kaman is great as well-well he is when he's focused, this guy needs to get his head out of his ass he has not been playing well after winning western conference player of the week or month or whatever it was

VanillaThunder
12-07-2009, 01:15 AM

Jimmy the Greek.. is that you?

Go Getter
12-07-2009, 01:33 AM
He did it in 2006-2007.

One time in his stellar career.

IMO TO BE AND ELITE SHOOTER YOU HAVE TO HIT AT LEAST HALF YOUR SHOTS!

Go Getter
12-07-2009, 01:34 AM

Sun shines even on a dog's ass sometimes....

bluechox
12-07-2009, 01:37 AM

Bird
Kerr
Legler
Price
Mullins
Barry
West

keyword: had
i dont think they will come back to play in the nba again just to increase white players in the league beacase they were once great

Go Getter
12-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Yeah, because shooting 50% from the field, 40% from three, and 90% from the free throw line over the course of an entire season isn't anything special, and it definitely doesn't speak of your overall shooting prowess.

7 footer or not, Dirk (and you know it) is a face up PF who lives around the FT line and plays more like a SF than a C. He's a great shooter and call him "soft as spit" all you want but in this MVP season and the year the Mavs lost in the finals, he had plenty of "alpha-dog, no way in hell we're losing this game" moments. He folded in the finals, I'll give you that, but anyone with a brain that watched that Finals, know the officials sent Dwyane Wade to the fre throw line everytime someone breathed on him.

I know neither has a ring, but between the two of them Nash and Dirk have 3 MVP's. And you scoffing at the 50-40-90 club like it's a joke just makes you look stupid.

Enough with the insults man....me not valuing the same things as you has nothing to do with intelligence, quit it.

50-40-90 is nice but one season doesn't make you an elite shooter....I bet you Craig Hodges and Jed Bushler [sp] could do the same.

I never said your life partner Dirk was a bad shooter. I said that since he doesn't shoot 50% from the field [you displaying his ONE season doesn't really matter over his LONG career] that I didn't think he was an elite shooter.

Anyone that's 7 foot with his talents should be shooting 50% or better.

Everyone knows that the MVP trophy doesn't mean spit and real reputations are made in the playoffs....nice try.

I love how you make excuses for Dirk though....he needed an alpha dog moment when D Wade and the heat beat them three games str8!

Oh yeah the refs gave D Wade all the calls and not Dirk that's your excuse.:oldlol:

Go Getter
12-07-2009, 01:44 AM
keyword: had
i dont think they will come back to play in the nba again just to increase white players in the league beacase they were once great
I re-read my post and the word 'had' is nowhere in it :oldlol:

KG215
12-07-2009, 02:56 AM
Enough with the insults man....me not valuing the same things as you has nothing to do with intelligence, quit it.

50-40-90 is nice but one season doesn't make you an elite shooter....I bet you Craig Hodges and Jed Bushler [sp] could do the same.

I never said your life partner Dirk was a bad shooter. I said that since he doesn't shoot 50% from the field [you displaying his ONE season doesn't really matter over his LONG career] that I didn't think he was an elite shooter.

Anyone that's 7 foot with his talents should be shooting 50% or better.

Everyone knows that the MVP trophy doesn't mean spit and real reputations are made in the playoffs....nice try.

I love how you make excuses for Dirk though....he needed an alpha dog moment when D Wade and the heat beat them three games str8!

Oh yeah the refs gave D Wade all the calls and not Dirk that's your excuse.:oldlol:

Wrong again. You said Dirk never shot 50% in a season. I know it was only one season, but I pointed out that he has in fact shot 50% from the field in one season to prove you wrong. I never once said he had done it multiple times.

I also said Dirk had an "alpha-dog" moment in those playoffs EXCEPT in the finals where the Heat and Wade (after falling in a hole) took over and won the series. Dirk faltered, Wade became the "alpha-dog" in that series, and yes, the refs helped out a little on the way as well. I don't recall me ever saying that the only reason the Heat won that series was because of the refs. But if you want to continue to put words in my mouth, go right ahead.

KelticForce1349
12-07-2009, 04:22 AM
wheres is a video about the low population of black Hockey players?

Lame. Go get your cornrows waxed.

KelticForce1349
12-07-2009, 04:29 AM

Here he is. Exhibit A. This guy is most certainly white, probably a Jew. I know he wont admit to it now that he feels I am attacking him though. This guy is the all-too familiar self-pitying and liberal white guy. Although I am personally a very liberal white American, this guy is the type that gives many of us a bad rep.

lovethetriangle
12-07-2009, 04:32 AM

Bird
Kerr
Legler
Price
Mullins
Barry
West

sarunas isn't dead u ****

it's drazen

Go Getter
12-07-2009, 04:33 AM
Wrong again. You said Dirk never shot 50% in a season. I know it was only one season, but I pointed out that he has in fact shot 50% from the field in one season to prove you wrong. I never once said he had done it multiple times.

I also said Dirk had an "alpha-dog" moment in those playoffs EXCEPT in the finals where the Heat and Wade (after falling in a hole) took over and won the series. Dirk faltered, Wade became the "alpha-dog" in that series, and yes, the refs helped out a little on the way as well. I don't recall me ever saying that the only reason the Heat won that series was because of the refs. But if you want to continue to put words in my mouth, go right ahead.

I said one good year doesn't make a career...this year he's 46.4% and for his career he's 47.2%.

Bird shot 49.6 percent for his career just to give you a little morsel of what I'm going to hammer you with next.

u83
12-07-2009, 04:36 AM

No, they don't need to evolve those things because we already evolved biological feedback loops that allow an individual organism to adapt to its lifestyle within its own lifespan. If you use a certain body part a lot it gets stronger. For "evolution" to occur there needs to be a means of selection, long periods of time, and usually isolation from the rest of the species. The high altitude might be good at killing off fatties with bad lungs, but very bad at inventing better lungs than the original settlers ever had.

The only real evidence you have of black people being superior athletes is their disproportionately high presence in 2 of 3 top American athletic sports. So I'm just saying that if you're considering that "evidence," then you also have to accept the disproportionate amount of black criminals as evidence that they are criminals. You can't have it both ways.

Go Getter
12-07-2009, 04:36 AM
sarunas isn't dead u ****

it's drazen

No need for that man honest mistake. [I knew that]

My bad...there's another guy from overseas with a name that starts with an 'M' (kind of long) he was a guard do you remember his name?

KelticForce1349
12-07-2009, 04:39 AM
I said one good year doesn't make a career...this year he's 46.4% and for his career he's 47.2%.

Bird shot 49.6 percent for his career just to give you a little morsel of what I'm going to hammer you with next.

What's up my Bulls brother? I understand you don't care for Dirk's style of play. (not enough post-scoring) Would you agree with me that our Bulls would be kicking some serious ass right now though if we had the Dirkster?

Brunch@Five
12-07-2009, 04:43 AM
someone is seriously saying Dirk is not an elite shooter? :oldlol:

btw, has anyone spelled Detlef Schrempf right in this thread?

monkeypox
12-07-2009, 09:55 AM
While there may be some genetic elements, consider that most black people in the united states and in the NBA are at least a little white. If it were purely a genetic thing, the more "pure" african's would be dominating in the league but they're not. Culture has a lot to do with it I think. None of the tall white and asian friends I had went for basketball because it just wasn't believed to be a viable path to take even if they were athletically gifted.

You also have to consider the way sports are reported here in the US and how something so small may have repercussions and effect the way different races perceive their roll in those sports. For example, you're significantly more likely to hear athleticism attributed to a black player and cerebral play attributed to a white player. So you have a white kid growing up seeing that the people that look like him need to be clever, while the black kid grows up thinking he needs to be able to jump out of the building. Combine that with notions like white people can't jump and black kids thinking they have little other options that sports and whatnot and you end up with a white kid that spent his time learning to shoot and a black kid that spend that time running bleachers and suicides all day. By the time they're ready for the pro's, one can jump and the other can shoot and it ends up reinforcing future generations ensuring that the cycle goes on.

It may be true that the lack of american white players is hurting the league. In fact some people attribute the explosion in popularity of MMA on the fact that it's one of the few sports where white people are still more predominant in the states. If that's the case though, someone explain why no one watches hockey?

Talking about evolution... evolution doesn't happen that fast. Even the supposed selective breeding during the era of slavery was too recent for evolution to be a factor, let alone there being a significant change within a single generation. If you stand out in the sun you'll get darker... that's called a tan, not evolution.

Skyscraper
12-07-2009, 10:11 AM

"Lee" is an American name. General Lee of the Confederate Army?

Chinese people whose last name is pronounced "Lee" or "Li" just had the romanization of their name butchered when the immigration officers were too lazy to understand there is no direct transliteration from Chinese to English.

and Lopez is hispanic. Just because he does not talk with a MExican accent and does not have a swarthy Latin charm does not mean he is not Hispanic.

CB4GOATPF
12-07-2009, 10:20 AM
I miss the level of Oldschool White Ball Players :cry:

http://www.celtic-nation.com/rivalries/si_covers/larry_bird/1981_11_09.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1986/0616_large.jpg

http://blogcesto.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/stockton_statue.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/18/70076174_2bb5f1a215.jpg

http://cache.nba.com/media/history/mullin_350_summary.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/chris_ballard/01/24/shot.blocking/p1.eaton.jpg

http://www.nba.com/media/Kikiv_200_061219.jpg

http://images.activefan.com/history/KDETP-1983.jpg

http://thesportshernia.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b84f69e2011278dfd2bb28a4-350wi

CB4GOATPF
12-07-2009, 10:22 AM
http://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/catImages/price93sl-1.jpg

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/537/slideshow_53742/display_image.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0806/nba.all.time.playoff.defenders/images/bobby-jones.jpg

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nba/dc/RulandWas.jpg

http://www.iwuhoops.com/sikma.bmp

http://blogs.herald.com/.a/6a00d83451587d69e2011570294300970b-800wi

http://www.nba.com/media/history/jazz_hornacek_240.jpg

http://www.truthaboutit.net/pictures/tom-gugliotta-card.jpg

KB2009Champ
12-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Shane Battier
Micheal Bibby
Jason Kidd
The Lopez Brothers
The Griffen Brothers
Deron Williams

What do they have in common? They are commonly incorrectly called white guys. All are mixed w/White/Black/Latino etc..

Do ya'll get it now? I am sure there are more that people keep getting wrong. Being light skined does not always = being white FYI

Lakas Fan Yo
12-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Maravich is of Serbian descent though. Just saying.

Revelation
12-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Maravich is of Serbian descent though. Just saying.

He was born in Pennsylvania, his father was born in Pennsylvania. Most everyone is of a certain descent if you go back to the 1800's or earlier. For someone to be a white "American", do they have to be direct descendants of the Pilgrims?

DKLaker
12-07-2009, 02:19 PM
adam morrisons got the 70's look, thats about all you can tell about him. One of the reasons Lakers bench sucks

The Construction guy from the Village People......lol What a horrible look!!!!!

Lo1a
12-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Shane Battier
Micheal Bibby
Jason Kidd
The Lopez Brothers
The Griffen Brothers
Deron Williams

What do they have in common? They are commonly incorrectly called white guys. All are mixed w/White/Black/Latino etc..

Do ya'll get it now? I am sure there are more that people keep getting wrong. Being light skined does not always = being white FYI

Bibby's not mixed. He's black on both sides. His mom is a light-skinned Black Trinidadian.

J-Futuristic
12-07-2009, 03:23 PM
ESPN couldn't find a better representative than this? This Kyle McAlarney kid got in trouble for pot in College. The guy simply isn't NBA caliber, I know plenty of 5"11 black guys that can shoot that are trying to get in the leauge too, hell Salim Stoudamire isn't even in the leauge anymore.

sergiorodriguez
12-07-2009, 03:46 PM
No, they don't need to evolve those things because we already evolved biological feedback loops that allow an individual organism to adapt to its lifestyle within its own lifespan. If you use a certain body part a lot it gets stronger. For "evolution" to occur there needs to be a means of selection, long periods of time, and usually isolation from the rest of the species. The high altitude might be good at killing off fatties with bad lungs, but very bad at inventing better lungs than the original settlers ever had.

The only real evidence you have of black people being superior athletes is their disproportionately high presence in 2 of 3 top American athletic sports. So I'm just saying that if you're considering that "evidence," then you also have to accept the disproportionate amount of black criminals as evidence that they are criminals. You can't have it both ways.
world sports, such as track and field as well

A.M.G.
12-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Oooh wow, KYLE MCALARNEY. Phhhht. Yeah he should be in the NBA. I mean come on! He can SHOOT, the absolute only thing you need going for you to be a useful NBA player.

There are lots of good role players in the NBA who are white Americans, just none who are really "stars". I mean, it's not like the NBA wouldn't like to have some more white American players, I mean their largest audience is white Americans, but NBA teams draft and sign the best most talented players, the ones who can help them win. If most white American players don't cut it, tough luck.

A list of good/decent/useful white Americans (or ones who have had good careers) I can think of:

Troy Murphy
Chris Kaman
David Lee
Chris Andersen
Mike Miller
Mike Dunleavy Jr. (when healthy)
Nick Collison
Kevin Love
Louis Amundson
Joel "The Vanilla Gorilla" Pryzbilla
Ryan Anderson
Matt Bonner
Brad Miller
Spencer Hawes
Tyler Hansbrough (I presume he will be)
Chase Budinger (presumptive)
Steve Blake
Jordan Farmar
Jeff Foster
Kyle Korver
Matt Harpring
J.J. Redick

And now for the mediocre/scrubby/busts/god-awful whities:

Brian Scalabrine
Coby Karl
Josh McRoberts
Chris Quinn
Adam Morrison
B.J. Mullens
Robert Swift
Steve Novak
Joe Alexander
Brian Cardinal
Luke Walton
Travis Diener
Aaron Gray
Shavlik Randolph
Jon Brockman
Paul Davis
Jason Kapono
Matt Carroll

That's a lot of players. It's a minority and a good half of them suck, but the best white American players are in the NBA, so I don't know what there is to complain about.

sergiorodriguez
12-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Here he is. Exhibit A. This guy is most certainly white, probably a Jew. I know he wont admit to it now that he feels I am attacking him though. This guy is the all-too familiar self-pitying and liberal white guy. Although I am personally a very liberal white American, this guy is the type that gives many of us a bad rep.
im a whitey jew, but im not self pitying, im damn proud of being Jewish. All I'm saying is look at Jamaica, tiny population, won the 100 meter relay, also have the fastest man in the world. Kenya and Ethiopia-dominating the field of marathons and long distance running. It's not an opinion. It's a fact. Look at sports results. Look at the top 20 or so of any Marathon. Is it just a giant coincidence all these Kenyan guys happen to be good long distance runners? I big giant coincidence? I think it has to do with genetics. It's a coincidence that Jamaica, a tiny caribbean island has so many top sprinters?

I think it's genetics, maybe it's just a culture of long distance running in Kenya, but there are alot of nations with a long distance running culture that don't produce world class long distance runners.

purple32gold
12-07-2009, 04:01 PM

wtf black people dominate most sports. actually to be frank, black people tend to dominate sports that do not require much money to get started in, and as evidence you can see their dominance in t&f/boxing/american football/football (soccer). on the other hand, the absence of many blacks in sports like golf/tennis/ect. is or should be obvious because of the high social status those sports play in many countries. stories like venus & serena are extremely rare, and before you say tiger woods, he's from the city i was born and raised in...in orange county, ca. many of his cousins that went to my highschool had been involved in expensive, exclusive tennis/golf clubs since they were very young. this is a really good topic of discussion for once i hope it keeps on goin.

bagelred
12-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Brandon Roy

Oh....actually its just his voice that's white..........close enough............

Mister JT
12-07-2009, 04:10 PM
I think Luke Walton, Matt Carroll and and Jason Kapono should be on the "useful" list.

It's surprising that Chris Quinn made it to the league and Chris Thomas didn't. Thomas used to be good at ND.

Revelation
12-07-2009, 04:39 PM
wtf black people dominate most sports.

That's a pretty uneducated or simply racist statement. The fact is, the vast majority of sports are not dominated by any one "race". Granted, if all you watch is basketball, football, and track & field the majority of top players are black. However, if you step outside of those categories it becomes much more diverse.

Rake2204
12-07-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm not looking to participate in the back and forth going on here but I do have a simple question:

My little brother asked me the other day why Delonte West and Tayshaun Prince are both declared "black" even though they have a lighter pigment. I explained there's a number of variations of skin color for African Americans and every other race and nationality. My brother then asked, if there were an NBA player with one black parent and one white (Blake Griffin) what is he considered? I responded that he'd be declared "black" but I couldn't explain why. Is this correct? Further, is there a logical way to break this down?

purple32gold
12-07-2009, 04:59 PM
That's a pretty uneducated or simply racist statement. The fact is, the vast majority of sports are not dominated by any one "race". Granted, if all you watch is basketball, football, and track & field the majority of top players are black. However, if you step outside of those categories it becomes much more diverse.
that really isn't true. take a look at soccer most of the top players are of african descent there is no denying it. what say you to the netherlands football team that is 75% black? if you think brazilian folk don't have any african ancestry is not paying attention to your history books. like i said, most sports that do not require much $ to participate in are substantially dominated by minorities (notice i have changed it from black to minorities as a whole). i am not sure how i can more easily explain my stance

A.M.G.
12-07-2009, 05:00 PM
I think Luke Walton, Matt Carroll and and Jason Kapono should be on the "useful" list.

Absolutely not.

purple32gold
12-07-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm not looking to participate in the back and forth going on here but I do have a simple question:

My little brother asked me the other day why Delonte West and Tayshaun Prince are both declared "black" even though they have a lighter pigment. I explained there's a number of variations of skin color for African Americans and every other race and nationality. My brother then asked, if there were an NBA player with one black parent and one white (Blake Griffin) what is he considered? I responded that he'd be declared "black" but I couldn't explain why. Is this correct? Further, is there a logical way to break this down?
typically the dominant race that shows up is what people tend to call others. people like jessica alba/vin diesel are the ones that typically only get away with it because their ancestry is so muddled to the point where its difficult to pin point one.

Narf
12-07-2009, 05:19 PM
take a look at soccer most of the top players are of african descent
WTF? No.

purple32gold
12-07-2009, 05:24 PM
WTF? No.
yes. brasil, the northern euro countries as well as many top players in central europe and the US are all of african descent. have you ever seen what ronaldino looks like? if you do not think that up to 500 years in his lineage he doesn't have a little bit of brother in him you're kidding yourself.

Revelation
12-07-2009, 05:24 PM
that really isn't true. take a look at soccer most of the top players are of african descent there is no denying it. what say you to the netherlands football team that is 75% black? if you think brazilian folk don't have any african ancestry is not paying attention to your history books. like i said, most sports that do not require much $ to participate in are substantially dominated by minorities (notice i have changed it from black to minorities as a whole). i am not sure how i can more easily explain my stance

While saying "minorities" does make your statement less of a falsehood it is still incorrect. All one has to do is look at a list of Olympic medalists down through the decades. Further, saying Brazilians are black is like saying a pepper is red. Brazilians are extremely diverse in their ancestry -- White: 49%, Multiracial: 42%, Black 8%.. etc...

My point, again, is that there is no single "race" which dominates sports in general. It is broken down exactly like one would expect (very diversely).

Swaggin916
12-07-2009, 05:34 PM

Yea that's really not true... There a lot of good black players, but there are really good players of every race. Highest paid player is Christiano Ronaldo and he is Portuguese (white).

http://i47.tinypic.com/1126e69.jpg

That is the Brazilian national team and you can for sure say that 3 players are from African decent. A couple others it's up in the air. So at most it's 50% and possibly only 30%. The best on that team is Kaka and he is the lightest guy on that team. The thing about soccer though is that it is so low scoring that athleticism isn't quite as important. Shooting and passing lights out is just as if not more important than being a total stud athlete so really everyone can play it. I think Soccer is really cool because of that... It's not dominated by one race (Not that I have problem with Bball and Football tho... I love em)

purple32gold
12-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Yea that's really not true... There a lot of good black players, but there are really good players of every race. Highest paid player is Christiano Ronaldo and he is Portuguese (white).

http://i47.tinypic.com/1126e69.jpg

That is the Brazilian national team and you can for sure say that 3 players are from African decent. A couple others it's up in the air. So at most it's 50% and possibly only 30%. The best on that team is Kaka and he is the lightest guy on that team. The thing about soccer though is that it is so low scoring that athleticism isn't quite as important. Shooting and passing lights out is just as if not more important than being a total stud athlete so really everyone can play it. I think Soccer is really cool because of that... It's not dominated by one race (Not that I have problem with Bball and Football tho... I love em)
ok i see my issue. hmmm what were we even talking about originally lol. i still stick by my original idea...whatever it was....

browntown
12-07-2009, 05:57 PM
I agree there a lack but. Kaman, Love, Murphy, Lee and who else I'm forgetting are solid white American players.

GeneWilderSTL
12-07-2009, 06:41 PM
dumb article is there an article on the virtually non-existent black NHL Players? Has there ever been?

If athleticism beats out fundamentals, when it comes to winning a basketball game, its not the fault of athletic players. Are they suppose to tone down the athleticism?

Should the NBA go back to basketballs roots where it was illegal to jump??

Kyle Mc says nobodys willing to work harder than him? Oh yeah? Get in a gym with Kobe and see if you come out thinking that.

GeneWilderSTL
12-07-2009, 06:43 PM
I hope they do let this guy in the NBA so he can get worked and ran out the league.

Lakas Fan Yo
12-07-2009, 06:59 PM
He was born in Pennsylvania, his father was born in Pennsylvania. Most everyone is of a certain descent if you go back to the 1800's or earlier. For someone to be a white "American", do they have to be direct descendants of the Pilgrims?

So Yao Ming's daughter is not Chinese because she was born in the US? That seems to be your level of "logic".

Lakas Fan Yo
12-07-2009, 07:01 PM

It's actually extremely racist to declare a half black and half white person as strictly black or white. They are both. Yes, the fact that Obama is considered "black" is extremely racist anywhere in the world outside the US.

Lakas Fan Yo
12-07-2009, 07:03 PM
typically the dominant race that shows up is what people tend to call others. people like jessica alba/vin diesel are the ones that typically only get away with it because their ancestry is so muddled to the point where its difficult to pin point one.

Jessica Alba is 87% Nordic race. She had her DNA tested. That's about as white as you can possibly get. Very, very few white people are that white.

Brunch@Five
12-07-2009, 07:11 PM
So anyone that as any black person in his lineage is considered black, but only those who are purely of white decent are considered white?

http://www.sportsbook-bonus.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/jason-kidd-sportsbook-bonus.jpg

http://www.everyjoe.com/nbaobsessed/files/2008/02/mike-bibby.jpg

both seem more white than black.

back in the day they used to have different names: black, mulatto, quadroon, octroon. Kidd and Bibby probably are quadroons or octroons. I do see that those terms are problematic though, due to their history in slave trade.
To call someone who is 1 4th black and 3 4ths white black is wrong thout

krikit
12-07-2009, 07:12 PM

Back in the days several states in the USA passed legislation called "one drop rule" to make sure the off-spring between white slave holders and black slaves couldn't make any claims of rights and to discourage interracial relationship, the formal law was drafted so that if a person had single drop of black blood (or 1/32 part black) they would be considered black and therefore be subject of Jim Crow law and segregation (the segregation laws were written in terms om black people and white people so they needed to classify ppl as either one to make it an efficient tool). So through slavery and then segregation all mixed people were considered black no matter if they were 15 or 25-50-75% black. Now the one drop ruled was deemed unconstitutional in 1967 but since both society and the goverment have seen all black/white mixed ppl as black for 200 years or so it still lives on so most people identify a 50% black / 50% white offspring as black still today.

Lakas Fan Yo
12-07-2009, 07:32 PM
So anyone that as any black person in his lineage is considered black, but only those who are purely of white decent are considered white?

http://www.sportsbook-bonus.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/jason-kidd-sportsbook-bonus.jpg

http://www.everyjoe.com/nbaobsessed/files/2008/02/mike-bibby.jpg

both seem more white than black.

back in the day they used to have different names: black, mulatto, quadroon, octroon. Kidd and Bibby probably are quadroons or octroons. I do see that those terms are problematic though, due to their history in slave trade.
To call someone who is 1 4th black and 3 4ths white black is wrong thout

Only in the US is it considered acceptable and not extremely racist to call half black and half white people as only black. Anywhere else in the world it's extremely racist. The same with calling half Asian and half black people only black and so forth. In the US Obama and Tiger Woods are "black", but everywhere else in the world that would be considered racist.

twolvesfan
12-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Back in the days several states in the USA passed legislation called "one drop rule" to make sure the off-spring between white slave holders and black slaves couldn't make any claims of rights and to discourage interracial relationship, the formal law was drafted so that if a person had single drop of black blood (or 1/32 part black) they would be considered black and therefore be subject of Jim Crow law and segregation (the segregation laws were written in terms om black people and white people so they needed to classify ppl as either one to make it an efficient tool). So through slavery and then segregation all mixed people were considered black no matter if they were 15 or 25-50-75% black. Now the one drop ruled was deemed unconstitutional in 1967 but since both society and the goverment have seen all black/white mixed ppl as black for 200 years or so it still lives on so most people identify a 50% black / 50% white offspring as black still today.
good job trying to use something that was passed in the days of slavery to justify it today:lol

krikit
12-07-2009, 07:43 PM
good job trying to use something that was passed in the days of slavery to justify it today:lol

It's not abut justification, but understanding how history shapes our perception today, we aren't born or developed our norms, values and worldview in a vacuum. Norms and values that have been developed, constructed and reconstructed generation after generation doesn't just change over night because a court said it was wrong 40 years ago (which isn't far back in history at all), those idea still shape our society today. Race is largerly a social construct and of course the heritage of slavery, segregation and the one-drop rule shape how race is viewed and how people are classified in America today. Vince Carter, Tracy Mcgrady etc. Are probably not 100% black (a minority of african-americans are) but we still view them as black not 75% black or whatever. Why do you think Tiger Woods was so ridiculed over his "I'm not black, I'm Cablasuain" statements? Factually he's of course correct but we still mostly classify people as white or black. How many people would say Halle Berry is white even though she's probably more white then black in terms of heritage. How many people would say he's black? Now why is that?

sergiorodriguez
12-07-2009, 08:09 PM
so in other words, the sports that require the most explosive athleticism are dominated by black players? and the ones with less of an athletic requirement to succeed have more diversity?

Revelation
12-08-2009, 12:35 AM
so in other words, the sports that require the most explosive athleticism are dominated by black players? and the ones with less of an athletic requirement to succeed have more diversity?

Actually, yes. For the most part, black athletes do dominate sports which require the most explosiveness. No one should deny that. As I said earlier:

[...] Some obvious examples are, Caucasian men almost always being the strongest in the world. Or, African Americans almost always being the best leapers and sprinters.

This is not to say that black people always dominate sports which require athleticism. Soccer, Tennis, Gymnastics, and MMA are a few examples of very athletic sports which are not "dominated" by any one race.

DKLaker
12-08-2009, 02:53 AM
It's not abut justification, but understanding how history shapes our perception today, we aren't born or developed our norms, values and worldview in a vacuum. Norms and values that have been developed, constructed and reconstructed generation after generation doesn't just change over night because a court said it was wrong 40 years ago (which isn't far back in history at all), those idea still shape our society today. Race is largerly a social construct and of course the heritage of slavery, segregation and the one-drop rule shape how race is viewed and how people are classified in America today. Vince Carter, Tracy Mcgrady etc. Are probably not 100% black (a minority of african-americans are) but we still view them as black not 75% black or whatever. Why do you think Tiger Woods was so ridiculed over his "I'm not black, I'm Cablasuain" statements? Factually he's of course correct but we still mostly classify people as white or black. How many people would say Halle Berry is white even though she's probably more white then black in terms of heritage. How many people would say he's black? Now why is that?

Thank you for trying to educate the knuckleheads on here as to history......most are too dumb to get it.

Nowdays it's pretty much open to a person calling themself whatever they want.....within reason....if they can look the part.
I know members of the Bibby family and they will tell you they are Black....period, same with Kidd.

I think it's sad that some are so obsessed with race, thankfully with the election of Obama things are starting to change.....but in America this process is slow.

Number2
12-08-2009, 03:21 AM
I think it's more about economics. Poor people tend to become the athletes of the world. Think about the history of baseball. In the 20s and 30s, most players were farmers and miners while growing up. They worked hard, were in good shape, and baseball offered them a way out. City folk just weren't playing baseball; they were working in offices and restaurants. A few factory folk. Mining and farming are quite different these days. Poor people live in cities, and are generally minorities. The black culture is extremely focused on basketball and football, for obvious reasons. Mexicans box. And so on.