PDA

View Full Version : Is Anybody Watching Tim Donaghy 60 Minutes Right Now?

Gundress
12-06-2009, 08:26 PM
It's on right now. Are you guys watching 60 minutes interview and he's telling them how to bet and how he's cheating, etc? and how the other refs involved with the bet too, etc.

jaydacris
12-06-2009, 08:28 PM
ya watchin rite now
talking about iverson right now, and how a team of refs taught iverson a lesson

and they mentioned a game where he bet on the game which he reffed where he ejected popavich

jaydacris
12-06-2009, 08:30 PM
damn they even showing the iverson clips where they should have called foul but did not

phoenix18
12-06-2009, 08:30 PM
ya watchin rite now
talking about iverson right now, and how a team of refs taught iverson a lesson

and they mentioned a game where he bet on the game which he reffed where he ejected popavich

SEE? Honest ABe was right once again.

phoenix18
12-06-2009, 08:31 PM
I am not seeing this on. Are you sure this is sixty minutes?

jaydacris
12-06-2009, 08:33 PM
its on cbs right now
talking about kobe bryant now...

Gundress
12-06-2009, 08:33 PM
damn they even showing the iverson clips where they should have called foul but did not

Yeah, I know.

What I don't get it is how this dude isn't getting killed by the mafia for telling what he did?

jaydacris
12-06-2009, 08:34 PM
there would be no point in mafia whacking this guy right now

Gundress
12-06-2009, 08:34 PM

Yes, it's on CBS....the tv show called "60 Minutes"

Gundress
12-06-2009, 08:35 PM
there would be no point in mafia whacking this guy right now

How so?

phoenix18
its on cbs right now
talking about kobe bryant now...
N!GGA I AM WATCHING CBS RIGHT NOW!!!

This is some BS. I want to see this so badly.

jaydacris
Yeah, I know.

What I don't get it is how this dude isn't getting killed by the mafia for telling what he did?

well actually, we'll see, next segment is directly about his involvement with the mob and how they took him down, this should be good

Abraham Lincoln
12-06-2009, 08:36 PM
SEE? Honest ABe was right once again.
Indeed :cheers:

bigkingsfan
12-06-2009, 08:37 PM
West coast doesn't start until 6

MK2V1GP
12-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Is the Donaghy part already over?

phoenix18
I am on the east coast. It just started for me.

Gundress

I thought he's from New York....it's should be on right now.

StroShow4
12-06-2009, 08:40 PM
I specifically remember watching that game where they called all the carries on Iverson.

phoenix18
Is the Donaghy part already over?
Check now. It just started for me. (Atlanta)

Gundress
well actually, we'll see, next segment is directly about his involvement with the mob and how they took him down, this should be good

That's true only if he doesn't mention the mob's name....if he did then he fked up. He only hurts NBA more than Mob.

jaydacris
12-06-2009, 08:42 PM
That's true only if he doesn't mention the mob's name....if he did then he fked up. He only hurts NBA more than Mob.

gambino crime family

Gundress
12-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Uh Oh, he's actually talk about the mob and the stuff how he bet...oh no.

phoenix18
12-06-2009, 08:43 PM
gambino crime family
RIP Tim Donaghy ????-2009. (Dec. 7, 2009)

jaydacris
12-06-2009, 08:44 PM
dunno, if they wanted him dead they woulda already killed him

phoenix18
12-06-2009, 08:46 PM
AI got jobbed. WTF is going on with these refs?

Gundress
12-06-2009, 08:48 PM
RIP Tim Donaghy ????-2009. (Dec. 7, 2009)

Lucky he got proctect by FBI and he said himself and he thought about his family first. He's the Informant now.

phoenix18
12-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Man, Kobe gets all the treatment.

This is the quote.

Donaghy:"I knew that he was going to the foul line if anyone breathes on him"

Wow.... that is dirty.

SAKOTXA
12-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Is it on CBS2? I am from LA, does it start at 6?

SAKOTXA
12-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Nevermind I am watching it on atdhe right now...

StroShow4
12-06-2009, 08:51 PM
"I knew that he was going to the foul line if anyone breathes on him"

We didn't need insider information to figure that out. :lol

SAKOTXA
12-06-2009, 08:51 PM
****! I wanted to see this from the beginning.

jaydacris
12-06-2009, 08:52 PM
im sure donaghy has told everything he knows or willing to tell about the mob
so the mob would not want to kill him anymore to keep his mouth shut. but they'd only kill him for payback
but mobs run a business, the risk of killing him for payback isnt worth the risk/reward and screwing up business operations
besides, true payback would be to kill donaghy's wife and kids, im sure they are protected well

Gundress
12-06-2009, 08:52 PM

This is the quote.

Wow.... that is dirty.

Yeah. I forgot how they busted Tim Donaghy and not the other refs? I smell something fishy going on?

SAKOTXA
12-06-2009, 08:56 PM
It's over.... are they going to show the replay?

Cyclone112
12-06-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm sure it will be uploaded tonight for anyone that uses torrents otherwise it will be on the cbs site in a few days.

bigkingsfan
12-06-2009, 09:00 PM
It will be all over youtube, If not... I'm recording it at 6.

phoenix18
12-06-2009, 09:02 PM
I actually believe this dude.

BALLin01
****! I wanted to see this from the beginning.

In LA it starts at 7

spursdynasty420
what did he say about ejecting popavich

Abraham Lincoln
Allen Iverson & Larry Brown argue with the NBA referee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDM2eGpf5Hc)

bladefd
12-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Damnit, I missed most of it. Only watched the very end.. I really want to watch the whole thing when they upload it to cbs.com or torrent sites or something

Anyways, when did they record that 60 Minutes? Is it recorded live (with about 5-10 minute cut off live) or was it recorded days ago? I really wonder how they do it.

StroShow4
what did he say about ejecting popavich

The mob was pissed at him for doing that because apparently they bet on the Spurs, he supposedly told them that he wasn't going to make calls that would effect the outcome of the game.

jaydacris
man tim fuked up everything, lost his wife and kids, lost his career, and placed himself in the mob's bad books

wut a fuked up life

phoenix18
12-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Allen Iverson & Larry Brown argue with the NBA referee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDM2eGpf5Hc)

Are you PennyCCW?

He has almost every AI video I have ever seen on youtube. Dude has to be in the YouTube Hall of Fame.

DTD
12-06-2009, 09:07 PM

This is the quote.

Wow.... that is dirty.

Seriously, if you're going to attempt to quote, at least do it correctly and put it into context. :rolleyes:

TD:
"The Lakers had sent in a CD of 25 plays that they felt calls were missed when Kobe Bryant went to the basket. I understood from the NBA office that 22 of those plays were missed by referees. I knew that Kobe Bryant was basically going to be given the opportunity to go to the foul line if somebody so much as breathed on him."

Inferring that the refs missed so many calls on a prior game, got busted by video, and felt Kobe would get the calls the next game.

Abraham Lincoln
12-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Are you PennyCCW?

He has almost every AI video I have ever seen on youtube. Dude has to be in the YouTube Hall of Fame.
No I don't have a Youtube account.

sergiorodriguez
12-06-2009, 09:18 PM
OK

first off i just have to say ever since that press conference where he started crying, I have so much respect for iverson. He is just so real. He may not play the best to help his team, he does kill locker rooms i think, I think he does play very selfish, but atleast he is real, and he honestly loves the game so much. Yeh he weaseled out of the Grizz contract but no one's perfect and again AI just being real, he didnt want to come off the bench on a garbage team so he got out of the contract-its selfish but its real and I respect him.

How come these refs were "teaching Iverson a lesson"

What the hell did he do to piss them off?

Did Iverson and the sixers win that playoff series? AI got a T for bringing the crowd down and being somewhere he's not supposed to be? WTF has stern addressed that at all?

AirJordan23
12-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Did Iverson and the sixers win that playoff series? AI got a T for bringing the crowd down and being somewhere he's not supposed to be? WTF has stern addressed that at all?

I'm pretty sure that moment's from game 6 of the '03 Sixers/Pistons ECSF which the Sixers lost in OT due to Billups coming up big. Not that it means anything. Just stating a fact.

Gundress
12-06-2009, 09:21 PM
I actually believe this dude.

Yeah, me too.

phoenix18
12-06-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that moment's from game 6 of the '03 Sixers/Pistons ECSF which the Sixers lost in OT due to Billups coming up big. Not that it means anything. Just stating a fact.
That was a great series. If anyone doubts AI's off ball abilities, watch that series. He and Rip were guarding each other and it was awesome. Both were running off screens, catching and shooting, etc. Good matchup.

Gundress
12-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I think people are hating on Iverson for wrong reasons.

phoenix18
12-06-2009, 09:31 PM
I think people are hating on Iverson for wrong reasons.
Yeah, people have been against him just to be against him. I dont get it. Dude has had it hard his entire life but was still getting hated on...

MeLO MvP 15
12-06-2009, 09:37 PM
damn....

MeLO MvP 15
12-06-2009, 09:40 PM
btw it is on cbs.com
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/60_minutes/video/?cid=60%20Minutes/60%20Minutes%20Full%20Episodes&pid=UHMI_aAl1bF4grHiBD1x1CTwxUJvoKDi&play=true

sergiorodriguez
12-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah, people have been against him just to be against him. I dont get it. Dude has had it hard his entire life but was still getting hated on...
he hasnt really had it hard his entire life, he grew up in a pretty good suburb, and he is currently a millionairre playing the game he loves and sure thing future hall of famer.

Kevin_Garnett_5
12-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Allen Iverson & Larry Brown argue with the NBA referee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDM2eGpf5Hc) What a dick.

kkling
12-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Why is he talking about the ****ing crowd? :oldlol: corrupt ass refs.

phoenix18
12-06-2009, 09:53 PM
he hasnt really had it hard his entire life, he grew up in a pretty good suburb, and he is currently a millionairre playing the game he loves and sure thing future hall of famer.

Money does not equal happiness.

Also, I have never heard of AI growing up in a "pretty good suburb" and lets not forget he went to prison.

Bano114
12-06-2009, 09:53 PM
OK

first off i just have to say ever since that press conference where he started crying, I have so much respect for iverson. He is just so real. He may not play the best to help his team, he does kill locker rooms i think, I think he does play very selfish, but atleast he is real, and he honestly loves the game so much. Yeh he weaseled out of the Grizz contract but no one's perfect and again AI just being real, he didnt want to come off the bench on a garbage team so he got out of the contract-its selfish but its real and I respect him.

How come these refs were "teaching Iverson a lesson"

What the hell did he do to piss them off?

Iverson bad talked a ref after one game and received a i think 25k fine. But the refs wanted to make an example out of him for other players not to call out a ref.

BALLin01
12-06-2009, 10:19 PM
F*ck NBA refs man.

brandonislegend
12-06-2009, 10:21 PM
I believe everything he said.

LA_Showtime
12-06-2009, 10:24 PM
I don't know if you can trust Tim Donaghy... but some of these refs can go die in a fire.

sirkeelma
12-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Nevermind I am watching it on atdhe right now...
Link?

OhNoTimNoSho
12-06-2009, 10:55 PM
You're off on that, he grew up in the worst ghetto in Virginia... Newport news. He lived in a house without electricity or some crap. I have the Iverson DVD.

To think of it, AI has been hated on at every moment ever since the prison incident. Breaks my heart.

jonathan
12-06-2009, 10:57 PM
He got $2000 a bet and he betted on 100 games - winning ~75%. Seems like he made $100,000 over 4 years. Not much for a person making $300,000/yr.

sirkeelma
12-06-2009, 11:14 PM
F**K NBA refs!!!

big baller
12-06-2009, 11:18 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5914330n&tag=related;photovideo

bagelred
12-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Donaghy "I knew that relationships with....blah blah.......effect the point spreads of games."

Interviewer "What's a point spread?"

:rolleyes: really?

Posterize246
12-06-2009, 11:32 PM
He got $2000 a bet and he betted on 100 games - winning ~75%. Seems like he made $100,000 over 4 years. Not much for a person making $300,000/yr.
25 grand a year is pretty good dough when you make it in about 6 months.

chocolatethunder
12-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Donaghy "I knew that relationships with....blah blah.......effect the point spreads of games."

Interviewer "What's a point spread?"

:rolleyes: really?
That point spread question was asked not because Bob Simon didn't know what it means, but it was asked so that some lady in the middle of Idaho knows what it means. Those questions are asked all the time in interviews. They will use that technique or they will narrate overtop of the interview like this" a point spread is...".

bigkingsfan
12-06-2009, 11:37 PM
He was in it for the thrill, the mob profit millions and he didn't ask for any of it.

bagelred
12-06-2009, 11:51 PM
That point spread question was asked not because Bob Simon didn't know what it means, but it was asked so that some lady in the middle of Idaho knows what it means. Those questions are asked all the time in interviews. They will use that technique or the will narrate overtop of the interview like this" a point spread is...".

True.....it just sounded strange when he said it.....

bagelred
12-06-2009, 11:54 PM
I believe everything Donaghy says btw...he's very calm in his answers. Straightforward. And even the FBI says they haven't caught him in any lie.

Let's face it. He didn't exactly commit the crime of the century. He didn't fix games, he simply used some inside info. to make himself some money. Just like if you someone gave you a stock tip. Or you know of a business deal going down. Or whatever....

It's obviously a crime, but the bigger issue is that he shed light that refs have biases and it effects game calling. To me, that's the bigger crime and one which the NBA will say never exists, even though its obvious it does........

bladefd
12-07-2009, 12:35 AM
I believe everything Donaghy says btw...he's very calm in his answers. Straightforward. And even the FBI says they haven't caught him in any lie.

Let's face it. He didn't exactly commit the crime of the century. He didn't fix games, he simply used some inside info. to make himself some money. Just like if you someone gave you a stock tip. Or you know of a business deal going down. Or whatever....

It's obviously a crime, but the bigger issue is that he shed light that refs have biases and it effects game calling. To me, that's the bigger crime and one which the NBA will say never exists, even though its obvious it does........

Do you think those biases could be put aside? I personally do not think you can just put every bias you have aside while you are ref'ing a game. You can try but ultimately, they ARE a part of one's subconscious. I would think that the NBA knows this and so do the referees, but I don't expect them to ever mention that in any statement. A single comment like that would really destroy any credibility that they may have left (which is VERY little after Donaghy's case and book).

btw- I just watched the 60 minutes. I also believe that every word Donaghy said in 60 Minutes was true as far as he knew. From a scientific perspective, I believe that one of the things that determines whether a person is lying or not is massive number of eye-blinks and occasionally looking around by moving the eyes around. Donaghy just stared straight while talking without moving his eyes around, and I did not see tons of eye blinks.

JustinJDW
12-07-2009, 01:08 AM

It's obviously a crime, but the bigger issue is that he shed light that refs have biases and it effects game calling. To me, that's the bigger crime and one which the NBA will say never exists, even though its obvious it does........This.

Darius
12-07-2009, 01:16 AM
My one issue I have with this is:

Is knowing what refs are going to be calling the game REALLY enough to pick 80% of the games? I don't think a ref not liking a player is enough to swing 30% of games.

I can more readily believe that his advance knowledge of injuries would swing things.

LAClipsFan33
12-07-2009, 01:41 AM
And then the capper at the end...THE LEAGUE is in a conspiracy to extend series in the playoffs to make more money and get big market teams in when they can.

Great example of an extended series was when the Spurs played the Pistons. Spurs would have beat them in 5 games if not for some f*cked officiating mid series.

On top of this the NBA has blatantly tried to keep San Antonio out of the championship before because they don't get the rating to make the most money...Dallas series when the Mavs went to the championship was atrocious and the officiating in the ".04" series against the Lakers was awe inspiring at the Staples Center.

bladefd
12-07-2009, 02:03 AM

Is knowing what refs are going to be calling the game REALLY enough to pick 80% of the games? I don't think a ref not liking a player is enough to swing 30% of games.

I can more readily believe that his advance knowledge of injuries would swing things.

Well, there are more factors involved than just 1 ref not liking a player. If Donaghy knows that the 2 other refs he will be with in a certain game do not like a certain player, the percentages are pretty much in his favor. All he has to do is act like he didn't see anything on 2-3 random plays here and there, and you know the other 2 biased refs will not call it either against that certain player. 4 to 6 points should be enough to turn around entire games and series and also change the momentum.

Also, Donaghy picked and betted on only certain specific games each season so it wasn't like he bet 50 games a season or something. Weren't the numbers something like 100-110 games out of 4 seasons? That puts it down to about 25 games a season. He said he did not even referee all of those games, and he did not win every single bet either. He only won 75% to 80% of those games so that brings it down to 80 games in 4 seasons. That is about 20 games a season that he won a bet for. From those 20, you can guess that about 8 of the games were sh*tty matchups like Spurs against the '02 Clippers or something. From the remaining 12, a couple may have been his gut feelings and a couple may have some insider injury report. The rest may have been some inside information that he had of the refs.

As I mentioned, just 2 bad calls (or even non-calls) can change the result of an ENTIRE game or at least change the momentum completely.

icewill36
12-07-2009, 04:46 AM
And then the capper at the end...THE LEAGUE is in a conspiracy to extend series in the playoffs to make more money and get big market teams in when they can.

Great example of an extended series was when the Spurs played the Pistons. Spurs would have beat them in 5 games if not for some f*cked officiating mid series.

On top of this the NBA has blatantly tried to keep San Antonio out of the championship before because they don't get the rating to make the most money...Dallas series when the Mavs went to the championship was atrocious and the officiating in the ".04" series against the Lakers was awe inspiring at the Staples Center.

are you seriously saying dallas was able to eliminate SA because of the refs ? you've got to be kidding me. the mavs flat out had their number. in fact if terry didnt get suspended a game id say the series would have been over in 6. blame manu and his dumb foul that allowed dirk to send it to OT in game 7.

markymark
12-07-2009, 05:09 AM
That point spread question was asked not because Bob Simon didn't know what it means, but it was asked so that some lady in the middle of Idaho knows what it means. Those questions are asked all the time in interviews. They will use that technique or the will narrate overtop of the interview like this" a point spread is...".

:roll:

New Jazzy Nets
12-07-2009, 05:44 AM
book is on amazon for a $24.99 price tag, higher then most would prefer but it is out.

Shepseskaf
12-07-2009, 10:45 AM

i believe him as well, but its a given that things were much more corrupt than Donaghy profiting from inside info. Games were fixed, and if that's too strong of a word for some, then say, "strongly influenced".

So, never mind about ref "biases", what I want to find about is the chain of command that would allow for the situation in Game 6 of the LA-Sac WCF. I want evidence presented of hardcore fixing, which many suspect has been going on for decades.

HorryIsMyMVP
12-07-2009, 11:08 AM
I believe most of what he says but there is one fundamental flaw with his argument. He said he predicted 80% of games and never interfered by reffing in favor of one team. The irony is that is exactly how he get caught by making it so grossly obvious in the Spurs-Suns playoffs. So that is the fundamental flaw and from there you have to at least question his credibility. I believe the Allen Iverson thing because other refs are on record saying it is true and no doubt Kobe gets special treatment.

Floppy
12-07-2009, 11:22 AM
I believe most of what he says but there is one fundamental flaw with his argument. He said he predicted 80% of games and never interfered by reffing in favor of one team. The irony is that is exactly how he get caught by making it so grossly obvious in the Spurs-Suns playoffs. So that is the fundamental flaw and from there you have to at least question his credibility. I believe the Allen Iverson thing because other refs are on record saying it is true and no doubt Kobe gets special treatment.
He got caught cause they wiretapped the mob he was in touch with so they stumbled upon him by accident and not because he executed Stern's game plan.

guy
12-07-2009, 11:25 AM
I believe alot of what he said, but I don't believe for one second that his betting didn't influence his reffing. I think he just said that to try and make it seem not as bad. Sure, the FBI concluded thats the case, but I highly doubt for those calls that could go either way he didn't favor the team he was betting on.

Big#50
12-07-2009, 01:46 PM
are you seriously saying dallas was able to eliminate SA because of the refs ? you've got to be kidding me. the mavs flat out had their number. in fact if terry didnt get suspended a game id say the series would have been over in 6. blame manu and his dumb foul that allowed dirk to send it to OT in game 7.
The reffs were listening to Cuban on the sidelines. No mystery the NBA wanted the Spurs out of the playoffs fast every season.

xcesswee
12-07-2009, 01:52 PM
I believe alot of what he said, but I don't believe for one second that his betting didn't influence his reffing. I think he just said that to try and make it seem not as bad. Sure, the FBI concluded thats the case, but I highly doubt for those calls that could go either way he didn't favor the team he was betting on.

Not saying you're wrong, but remember him betting on the spurs (spurs vs sonics) and he threw out Papavich early in the first quarter.

iamgine
12-07-2009, 01:56 PM

Even when picking randomly, it's already 50% chance so 80% isn't really outrageous.

LAClipsFan33
12-07-2009, 02:04 PM

The Mavs may have won without help, but there is no way to deny they got help. Tons of phantom calls...I think Dirk probably averaged 15 - 20 FTs per game on mostly jump shots. It was ugly...

LAClipsFan33
12-07-2009, 02:05 PM
The reffs were listening to Cuban on the sidelines. No mystery the NBA wanted the Spurs out of the playoffs fast every season.

This.

NBASTATMAN
12-07-2009, 04:45 PM

Everyone knows these Refs have biases so a fair game is never called..

Raj Da Dodge
12-09-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm mad I had work otherwise I woulda watched it. I'm gonna watch it on youtube though. But does anyone know when his book Blowing the Whistle: The culture of Fraud in the NBA comes out?

New Jazzy Nets
12-09-2009, 02:22 AM
I'm mad I had work otherwise I woulda watched it. I'm gonna watch it on youtube though. But does anyone know when his book Blowing the Whistle: The culture of Fraud in the NBA comes out?

It has a new title; Personal Foul: A First-Person Account of the Scandal That Rocked the NBA. Just ordered it on Barnesandnoble.com for $14.61 much better price then what amazon was asking for and to answer your question the book is out now.

Raj Da Dodge
12-09-2009, 02:25 AM
It has a new title; Personal Foul: A First-Person Account of the Scandal That Rocked the NBA. Just ordered it on Barnesandnoble.com for $14.61 much better price then what amazon was asking for and to answer your question the book is out now.
wait so its the same book but different titles???

New Jazzy Nets
12-09-2009, 03:16 AM
wait so its the same book but different titles???

Yes, Blowing the whistle is the name donaghy wanted but after the publisher dropped it. The Current company approached donaghy but they wanted a name change. It's the same book just a different title. I liked the title blowing the whistle more. but meh whatever.