PDA

View Full Version : Can Shane Battier dunk?

allball
12-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Not only does Shaniqua Battier have the most watered down game of any 6'8" wing player that I can remember, I can never remember the guy throwing one down hard either on someone or even in the open court.

he has no game off the dribble to speak of and no swagger to his game. the guy is so bland it kills me to watch.

as Bill Walton would say "Throw it down young man!"

this is his mix with not one dunk on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFH2kevG_e0

MK2V1GP
12-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Seriously?

MeLO MvP 15
12-17-2009, 12:02 AM
im curius too, even jose calderon can dunk

bomber
12-17-2009, 12:04 AM
He's 6'8 and somewhat athletic. No doubt he can.

allball
12-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Seriously?

find me a vid with a dunk

L.Kizzle
12-17-2009, 12:05 AM
He's 6'8 and somewhat athletic. No doubt he can.
LOL at athletic, he's probably the least athletic 6'8 player in recent memory.

With that said, he's ducked a few times the past few seasons.

Zak
12-17-2009, 12:24 AM
LOL at athletic, he's probably the least athletic 6'8 player in recent memory.

With that said, he's ducked a few times the past few seasons.

least athletic? hes athletic enough to be one of the best defenders in the league. if eveyrone on my schools varsity team 5'10 or taller can dunk, im pretty sure he can dunk.

L.Kizzle
12-17-2009, 12:26 AM
least athletic? hes athletic enough to be one of the best defenders in the league. if eveyrone on my schools varsity team 5'10 or taller can dunk, im pretty sure he can dunk.
Who said he couldn't dunk? I said he's not very athletic, which he isn't.

Rafael Delaget
12-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Are you aware he's half black?

HighFlyer23
12-17-2009, 01:12 AM
who da fk cant dunk at 6'8"?

inclinerator
12-17-2009, 01:14 AM
Lebron James cant i think never seen him do it, but he's one of the best at laying it in.

allball
12-17-2009, 01:49 AM

produce the vid

Rafael Delaget
12-17-2009, 01:55 AM
produce the vid

Shane Battier dunks on Kobe Bryant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm9ee2nEAy0)

Samurai Swoosh
12-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Why does someone care if he can dunk or not?

:oldlol:

These are the kind of basketball thoughts that ran through my mind when I was like seven.

bdreason
12-17-2009, 01:59 AM
I think I remember him throwing it down a few times at Duke.

He could definately dunk on a fastbreak.... but he's always back on D, or getting boards... not leaking out in transition.

noob cake
12-17-2009, 01:59 AM
You know, Battier can block shots on the weak side and keep up with most SG/SF in the NBA

He is decently athletic at least.

allball
12-17-2009, 02:13 AM
Why does someone care if he can dunk or not?

:oldlol:

These are the kind of basketball thoughts that ran through my mind when I was like seven.

cause he's a 6'8" NBA wing player. the dunk is a form of expression and the highest .pct shot in basketball and he's only shooting .400 from the field this year.

oh and coming out of high school he was compared to Grant Hill...

TMac&Luther
12-17-2009, 02:14 AM
:rolleyes:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cbe5BM6Gp5Lf/340x.jpg

Umm, yeah....Battier can dunk. He had a pretty good one this season. He just doesn't do it very often, it's not his style.

BTW, Scola can dunk too, but he also doesn't do it very often.......not his style either. Both players are content with just laying it off the backboard.

Samurai Swoosh
12-17-2009, 02:15 AM
cause he's a 6'8" NBA wing player. the dunk is a form of expression and the highest .pct shot in basketball and he's only shooting .400 from the field this year.
Yet he's still an outstanding basketball player.

Only few players in the league can take the dunk to artistic fashion to make it interesting.

Still doesn't negate the fact that I haven't been infactuated with everything "dunk" related since I was six, seven, and MAYBE eight years old.

It's such a miniscule aspect to the game.

gyu
12-17-2009, 02:22 AM

Umm, yeah....Battier can dunk. He had a pretty good one this season. He just doesn't do it very often, it's not his style.

BTW, Scola can dunk too, but he also doesn't do it very often.......not his style either. Both players are content with just laying it off the backboard.
A big man dunk too :applause:

Abraham Lincoln
12-17-2009, 02:36 AM
hes athletic enough to be one of the best defenders in the league
Shows how little defense has to do with the ideal visual perception of athleticism.

HylianNightmare
12-17-2009, 02:37 AM
Yes

imdaman99
12-17-2009, 02:40 AM
you don't need athleticism to be a great defender. you guys have probably never stepped on the court to make such a dumb statement. charles oakley was not very athletic but a great defender. the only thing that you need to be a good defender is the desire and drive to want to be a good defender. oh and good footwork helps too, but thats with practice :D

TMac&Luther
12-17-2009, 02:42 AM
you don't need athleticism to be a great defender. you guys have probably never stepped on the court to make such a dumb statement. charles oakley was not very athletic but a great defender. the only thing that you need to be a good defender is the desire and drive to want to be a good defender.

You don't need great athleticism to be a great defender, but you do need very quick feet. You can't defend, if you can't move........I don't care how much desire you have.

HighFlyer23
12-17-2009, 02:46 AM
produce the vid

don't got a vid but here's a pic

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Houston+Rockets+v+Los+Angeles+Lakers+Game+-qkLLLTMalul.jpg

another 1
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/85796035.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1937219EE721E785E4A708204AF2BBA4680 B01E70F2B3269972

imdaman99
12-17-2009, 02:47 AM
You don't need great athleticism to be a great defender, but you do need very quick feet. You can't defend, if you can't move........I don't care how much desire you have.
he studies game tape. he knew where kobe was going 90% of the time in last years wcf. his defensive IQ is off the charts. with that being said, battier does have quick enough feet to stay with most players. i'm not saying he isn't athletic, he just isn't the physical specimen that lebron or tmac or vince carter are.

now if someone was flat footed, it would be hard to guard anyone in the league. which is probably why there aren't any flat footed defenders in the league, unless i am mistaken lol

Samurai Swoosh
12-17-2009, 02:50 AM
Shows how little defense has to do with the ideal visual perception of athleticism.
^

This dude is so smart.

allball
12-17-2009, 02:58 AM
Yet he's still an outstanding basketball player.

Only few players in the league can take the dunk to artistic fashion to make it interesting.

Still doesn't negate the fact that I haven't been infactuated with everything "dunk" related since I was six, seven, and MAYBE eight years old.

Outstanding? dude he hasn't averaged more than 10 a game since his rookie year. he shot .410 last year and is shooting .400 this year. he's an 8 PPG 4 reb playoff performer for his career.

the Rockets gave up Rudy Gay for this stiff who is a good defender but doesn't do nearly enough to be called outstanding.

Scottie Pippen was outstanding. Grant Hill was outstanding. Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis are very good. Shane is the definition of an average role player. yeah he plays d but this guy was a college player of the year and a number 6 pick.

a 6'8" wing who won't throw it down for his team cause it's not his style? that's a disgrace.

Samurai Swoosh
12-17-2009, 03:06 AM
Outstanding? dude he hasn't averaged more than 10 a game since his rookie year. he shot .410 last year and is shooting .400 this year. he's an 8 PPG 4 reb playoff performer for his career.
You a stat junkie? As a player given his ROLE ... he's outstanding.

imdaman99
12-17-2009, 03:09 AM
believe me, every championship team needs a role player that plays his role to perfection like shane battier does. trevor ariza, james posey, bruce bowen, etc

TMac&Luther
12-17-2009, 03:18 AM

the Rockets gave up Rudy Gay for this stiff who is a good defender but doesn't do nearly enough to be called outstanding.

Scottie Pippen was outstanding. Grant Hill was outstanding. Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis are very good. Shane is the definition of an average role player. yeah he plays d but this guy was a college player of the year and a number 6 pick.

a 6'8" wing who won't throw it down for his team cause it's not his style? that's a disgrace.

LMAO, you apparently know nothing about basketball intangibles.:rolleyes: Battier is a championship caliber glue guy. Sad thing is, he's never been surrounded by championship caliber players. Yes, Batter can't jump out of the ****ing gym like Rudy Gay.......but guess what? Houston isn't winning 50 games with ****ing Rudy Gay either. :violin: (BTW, has Rudy Gay ever even played on a 50 game winning team before?) Which is something Houston has done year in and year out since they made the trade for Battier regardless of which star "stat sheet filling up" player ended up on I.R. for the season. Sad thing is without Yao and pretty much without McGrady, Battier will still help lead this team to a 50+ game winning season...he just makes winning plays.

But NO!!!, We should've kept Rudy Gay who hasn't done jack shit in this league (but man, he sure can dunk. :rolleyes: ) The last time Memphis was even relevant is when they had Shane Battier on their roster. The last time they even sniffed a 50 game winning season was with Shane Battier. Infact they made the playoffs for 3 consecutive years with Battier (only years Battier has not been in the playoffs during his career was his rookie and sophomore seasons) and then the second they traded him, they went from a 49 game winning playoff season to having the worst damn record in the league.......and they've been stuck there ever since. But But But...Rudy Gay flies so high. :eek: Wow when he runs by, the gust of air blows panties off the chicks in the cheap seats. :rolleyes: Too bad he can't do what really matters......like win basketball games and get his team to the playoffs, but damn the stats are sexy.

Scribbles
12-17-2009, 03:18 AM

You do know that a role player that plays above average defense and can hit the 3 pt shot on offense is worth at least MLE right?

allball
12-17-2009, 03:20 AM
You a stat junkie? As a player given his ROLE ... he's outstanding.

not at all. but he's not outstanding in his role. Michael Cooper was outstanding in his role and put up similar numbers. but he was a bench player and Coop would throw down a back breaking dunk every now and then.

Maybe I watched too much Scottie Pippen in my day...sorry.

http://i50.tinypic.com/sxnnn7.jpg

HighFlyer23
12-17-2009, 03:22 AM
lmao @ pip being a mere role player

Cork5
12-17-2009, 03:37 AM
stats aren't the sole measure of basketball skill you know:no:

allball
12-17-2009, 03:58 AM
LMAO, you apparently no nothing about basketball intangibles.:rolleyes: Battier is a championship caliber glue guy. Sad thing is, he's never been surrounded by championship caliber players. Yes, Batter can't jump out of the ****ing gym like Rudy Gay.......but guess what? Houston isn't winning 50 games with ****ing Rudy Gay either. :violin: (BTW, has Rudy Gay ever even played on a 50 game winning team before?) Which is something Houston has done year in and year out since they made the trade for Battier regardless of which star "stat sheet filling up" player ended up on I.R. for the season. Sad thing is without Yao and pretty much without McGrady, Battier will still help lead this team to a 50 game + winning season...he just makes winning plays.

But NO!!!, We should've kept Rudy Gay who hasn't done **** in this league (but man, he sure can dunk. :rolleyes: ) The last time Memphis was even relevant is when they had Shane Battier on their roster. The last time they even sniffed a 50 game winning season was with Shane Battier. Infact they made the playoffs for 3 consecutive years with Battier (only years Battier has not been in the playoffs during his career was his rookie and sophomore seasons) and then the second they traded him, they went from a 49 game winning playoff season to having the worst damn record in the league.......and they've been stuck there ever since. But But But...Rudy Gay flies so high. :eek: Wow, when he runs by the gust of air blows panties off the chicks in the cheap seats. :rolleyes: Too bad he can't do what really matters......like win basketball games and get his team to the playoffs, but damn the stats are sexy.

good try. but Memphis had many issues besides Battier leaving. Gasol had injuries the next year and then he left the next. you think Battier staying was going to save that team? they lost several role players that next year and a lot of scoring.

if you swapped Rudy and Shane right now, you think Memphis would win 50 games? the Rockets would still have a solid defender in Ariza who could stop jacking so many shots and still be just as effective and Gay could give them offense and some decent defense playing with a better coach and guys like Hayes, Landry and Scola. with Rudy and Ariza the Rockets would be just as good if not better.

guys like Battier are much easier to replace than guys like Gay. and Rudy can do a lot more than just dunk...but he can and will dunk.

also the year Memphis won 50 games they had James Posey. they never rose above that level with Battier and I do believe in Shane's rookie year (like Rudy's) Memphis only won like 24 games and they were near awful the next year with Shane on their roster.

allball
12-17-2009, 04:03 AM
lmao @ pip being a mere role player

didn't mean to imply that. the guy initially said outstaning player not role player. he did start out as a role player though.

Dennis Rodman was an OUTSTANDING role player and he rarely scored. this aint about stats. it's about playing with balls.

I only brought up stats cause the guy said he was an outstanding player. even not considering stats Shane is complimentary at best. there's nothing outstanding about him.

TMac&Luther
12-17-2009, 04:15 AM
good try. but Memphis had many issues besides Battier leaving. Gasol had injuries the next year and then he left the next. you think Battier staying was going to save that team? they lost several role players that next year and a lot of scoring.

if you swapped Rudy and Shane right now, you think Memphis would win 50 games? the Rockets would still have a solid defender in Ariza who could stop jacking so many shots and still be just as effective and Gay could give them offense and some decent defense playing with a better coach and guys like Hayes, Landry and Scola. with Rudy and Ariza the Rockets would be just as good if not better.

guys like Battier are much easier to replace than guys like Gay. and Rudy can do a lot more than just dunk...but he can and will dunk.

also the year Memphis won 50 games they had James Posey. they never rose above that level with Battier and I do believe in Shane's rookie year (like Rudy's) Memphis only won like 24 games and they were near awful the next year with Shane on their roster.

What the hell does Posey have to do with this.....um Battier was on that team too :hammerhead: But let me guess, that glue guy gets props, but Battier is just a bum. Must be, because Posey dunks huh?

Also Gasol played 60 games during that train wreck of a season.....still doesn't explain having the worst record in the league after being in the playoffs the year before. If Rudy Gay was half as good as you're trying to make him, his talent would've picked up the other 20 games.

Rudy Gay puts up empty #s.......THOSE PLAYERS are easy to find. I haven't regretted that trade one single day since it happened. Rudy Gay is not a winner, he's Tmac with healthy - the elite scoring ability. All flash, no substance. Who the **** cares about a player who puts up empty stats on a shitty team year in and year out? I'll take the "stiff" that plays on a winning team year in and year out, even if he goes unnoticed by people who act like you have to be able to dunk a ball to be good in this league.

I could really care less about Rudy Gay.....honestly, you would've been better served bringing up any player except him. I have never liked that guy....he's a natural born loser.

kap
12-17-2009, 04:18 AM

looks like he's literally taking a **** on the kobster

HighFlyer23
12-17-2009, 04:19 AM

:lol :lol

Lakeshow23
12-17-2009, 04:26 AM
:lol

allball
12-17-2009, 04:32 AM
What the hell does Posey have to do with this.....um Battier was on that team too :hammerhead: But let me guess, that glue guy gets props, but Battier is just a bum. Must be, because Posey dunks huh?

Also Gasol played 60 games during that train wreck of a season.....still doesn't explain having the worst record in the league after being in the playoffs the year before. If Rudy Gay was half as good as you're trying to make him, his talent would've picked up the other 20 games.

Rudy Gay puts up empty #s.......THOSE PLAYERS are easy to find. I haven't regretted that trade one single day since it happened. Rudy Gay is not a winner, he's Tmac with healthy - the elite scoring ability. All flash, no substance. Who the **** cares about a player who puts up empty stats on a shitty team year in and year out? I'll take the "stiff" that plays on a winning team year in and year out, even if he goes unnoticed by people who act like you have to be able to dunk a ball to be good in this league.

I could really care less about Rudy Gay.....honestly, you would've been better served bringing up any player except him. I have never liked that guy....he's a natural born loser.

dude Rudy is in his 3rd year. Rockets have more veteran talent than Memphis. Gay is playing with Mayo, Conley, Gasol and Thabeek all young players and they are pretty competitve right now for a young team.

so how many wins does Battier add to that 22 win team? hmm

Rudy is relevant because that's who he was traded for.

I brought up Posey because he was more crucial to that team than Shane.

hey cool if Shane's your guy, I'm sorry.

allball
12-17-2009, 04:34 AM

Kobe's not even paying attention as if play has stopped.

allball
12-17-2009, 04:50 AM
championship caliber glue guys:

Rick Fox
Ron Harper (in his later years)
Gary Payton
James Posey
Tayshaun Prince
Michael Cooper
Joe Dumars
Bobby Jones
Bruce Bowen
Dennis Johnson
Don Chaney
Dennis Rodman
Scottie Pippen (glue and then some)
Maurice Cheeks
Walt Frazier (great on both ends)

Rake2204
12-17-2009, 09:37 AM

I agree that Shane Battier is a pretty darn good player considering his role and I agree it's not necessary by any means that he dunk to justify his ability.

However, I must admit that I am much older than eight and I still absolutely love the dunk. For me, it's one of my favorite moments in all of sports and a big part of what makes basketball so entertaining.

NotYetGreat
12-17-2009, 09:43 AM
don't got a vid but here's a pic

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Houston+Rockets+v+Los+Angeles+Lakers+Game+-qkLLLTMalul.jpg

another 1
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/85796035.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1937219EE721E785E4A708204AF2BBA4680 B01E70F2B3269972

:lol

Kobe's like "Dayum! That cracker can dunk?!?"

Well, in all seriousness, yes, he can, as answered by a lot of the other posters here. When you're 6'8 and have a standing reach of 8'9, you don't need too much vert to be able to dunk the ball in. Dunking is said to be pretty tiring, although with all the people he's tasked to defend, I doubt he's too tired. It's probably just not his style to do so.

Apocalyptic0n3
12-17-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm used to seeing Kobe hate, Lebron hate, Dwight hate, Nash hate, KG hate, etc. on here, but... freaking Shane Battier? Of all the players in the league, you decide to hate on one of the most likable players currently playing. This one just puzzles me.

allball
12-17-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm used to seeing Kobe hate, Lebron hate, Dwight hate, Nash hate, KG hate, etc. on here, but... freaking Shane Battier? Of all the players in the league, you decide to hate on one of the most likable players currently playing. This one just puzzles me.

yeah you're right. my bad. he's mr. nice guy. mr. hustle yada yada.

those guys are future HOFers BTW. not to be mentioned in the same breath. even AC Green yoked one every now and then. and he was virgin. geesh.

found this on youtube:

zaleenbaba (8 months ago)
+2
i didn't know that he can dunk. he doesn't do that in the nba

anyway this started for me when I heard he was another Grant Hill. I kept watching and waiting and realized this guy couldn't hold G. Hill's jockstrap.

I know he "can" dunk but refuses to go in hard on PFs and Cs or anyone. I just want him to pull one back and put his nuts in somebody's face JUST ONCE!

ZOMG
12-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Kobe's like "Dayum! That cracker can dunk?!?"

When Battier can't dunk, he's white.

When Battier's a great defender, he's black.

simcjt
12-17-2009, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=Rafael Delaget

Penny4MVP2k
12-18-2009, 06:11 AM
I think this should put the debates regarding his athleticism and his dunking ability to rest:

via http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062301aac.html

"Shane has gotten better in his career and he will continue to get better on using the dribble to get shots," Drum added. "There is some rap about what kind of athlete he is. Well, he's not a Vince Carter or a Corey Maggette type of athlete, but he's good enough and he's better than a lot of athletes in this league."

Battier's individual workouts may have changed the opinions of some general managers. In Atlanta, Battier beat Michigan State underclassman Jason Richardson in a "Superman" drill, dunking the ball 70 straight times without missing or quitting.

At the other end of the court, Richardson dunked 63 times before falling to the floor from exhaustion.

"I could have kept going but I messed up my footing and missed a dunk," Battier said. "After that I turned to the GM and said, `I guess I'm a little more athletic than you thought, huh?' He smiled and walked away."

The feat "doesn't surprise me at all," Drum said. "In a lot of ways that's not pure athleticism, it's that mentally he is tougher and more prepared than anyone in this draft."

Granted this was done around 2001, but considering that he hasn't suffered any major injuries, he couldn't have fallen off too hard...

momo
12-18-2009, 06:39 AM
So the answer is yes.

RoseCity07
12-18-2009, 07:25 AM
I've seen Shane Battier block Brandon Roy from behind when Roy had the ball above the rim.

I would be anything that he can dunk.

GovernmentMan
12-18-2009, 07:31 AM

Stupidest thing I've read all day.

You had (maybe) valid points for most of that post, but the last line is basically "he's a disgrace because he doesn't dunk"

how is he a disgrace for not dunking?

Real Men Wear Green
12-18-2009, 07:52 AM
I never would have guessed that even a quiet, professional player like Battier has haters.

JalenRawley
12-18-2009, 08:15 AM
I never would have guessed that even a quiet, professional player like Battier has haters.

As long as there are children who follow the NBA, it will happen.

One other thing is that dunking also takes more energy, -wasted- energy, to dunk unnecessarily. And let's face it, many dunks are unnecessary but they're still spectacular displays of athleticism to enjoy. But why waste your legs trying to dunk when you've got to chase around your opponent's best scorer all night? That's not his job. He doesn't have anything to prove, he doesn't get caught up in juvenile ego and headgames, he's not concerned with padding stats or getting on posters, he just plays to win. It's not flashy, it's not pretty, it doesn't fill up the stat sheet, but he also isn't a detriment to his own team. Every team needs a guy like Battier. He's an intelligent, hard working, easy to please glue guy, what team wouldn't want him?

I guess I could write another 10,000 words about how pathetic, ignorant and clueless it is to equate dunking and scoring with being a great NBA player, and to eschew both means you suck, regardless of how good you are at other things or how important you are to team chemistry and winning. But even the majority of people here on ISH already know this and supports this point of view. We all recognize that it is an immature, juvenile point of view that will evolve and eventually mature with time and experience.

U got Served
12-18-2009, 08:54 AM
OP is right. I mean WTF is Shane doing in the league. Cant dunk, cant create his own shot, never has averaged double digits points in a season. Heck, Gerald fuc king green is easily a better player than Shane. Forget that bull**** hand in the face crap that doesnt work, at the end of the day people want to see highlights. Highlights=winning games.
Houston without Shane= 20 win season
Houston with Shane = 40 win season.

:violin:

NotYetGreat
12-18-2009, 09:40 AM
When Battier can't dunk, he's white.

When Battier's a great defender, he's black.

Yessir!

Okay, you got me there. :roll:

allball
12-19-2009, 03:42 AM
As long as there are children who follow the NBA, it will happen.

One other thing is that dunking also takes more energy, -wasted- energy, to dunk unnecessarily. And let's face it, many dunks are unnecessary but they're still spectacular displays of athleticism to enjoy. But why waste your legs trying to dunk when you've got to chase around your opponent's best scorer all night? That's not his job. He doesn't have anything to prove, he doesn't get caught up in juvenile ego and headgames, he's not concerned with padding stats or getting on posters, he just plays to win. It's not flashy, it's not pretty, it doesn't fill up the stat sheet, but he also isn't a detriment to his own team. Every team needs a guy like Battier. He's an intelligent, hard working, easy to please glue guy, what team wouldn't want him?

I guess I could write another 10,000 words about how pathetic, ignorant and clueless it is to equate dunking and scoring with being a great NBA player, and to eschew both means you suck, regardless of how good you are at other things or how important you are to team chemistry and winning. But even the majority of people here on ISH already know this and supports this point of view. We all recognize that it is an immature, juvenile point of view that will evolve and eventually mature with time and experience.

Juvenile? hardly. been watching this game a LONG time and never seen a guy with Shane's length and body type who won't throw it down hard on a big. show me where nice 6' 8" guys that don't dunk (including defensive stoppers) win ships in this league. I appreciate intangibles as much as the next guy. I could go on about great defenders and rebounders you probably never even heard of but this a man's game not the WNBA.

Has nothing to do with him being an intelligent player. he just doesn't have the explosiveness.

"Throw it down young man. throw it down"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG49uVLoVUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x1p46_uc7Q

BarberSchool
12-19-2009, 01:13 PM
OP had me for a quick second.

I could see duke 1/2-having a moral aversion to dunking....on some "It's unecessary" type sh!t.:lol

U got Served
12-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Juvenile? hardly. been watching this game a LONG time and never seen a guy with Shane's length and body type who won't throw it down hard on a big. show me where nice 6' 8" guys that don't dunk (including defensive stoppers) win ships in this league. I appreciate intangibles as much as the next guy. I could go on about great defenders and rebounders you probably never even heard of but this a man's game not the WNBA.

Has nothing to do with him being an intelligent player. he just doesn't have the explosiveness.

"Throw it down young man. throw it down"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG49uVLoVUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x1p46_uc7Q

You are either a troll, a 10 yr old, or simply retarded. How are you going to evaluate a player and even bring championships into the conversation based on ones dunking ability? Battier is an excellent defender and one of the top role players in the league. Try searching for an article, a coach, or a player bashing Battier. A little more playing time, a little less computer time. Please.

Rake2204
11-14-2011, 12:07 PM
I know this is a random bump, but I was at my little brother's basketball clinic this weekend hosted by Shane Battier and during Q & A one of the little ones asked if he could dunk (likely a poster on Insidehoops) and it instantly reminded me of this thread.

Rest assured, even after standing still for 20 minutes and wearing warmup pants and cross-trainers, Shane could still take one step and dunk (though it wasn't a hammer - it hit some iron). As others have said in this thread, sometimes it takes some frame of reference. I mean, he may seem average sized in the NBA but in truth, he's a slender, relatively long-armed 6'8''. He stated his first dunk came in 7th grade when he was 6'4''.

Finally, in the obvious statement of the century, Shane is a very affable guy. In terms of talking to athletes, I can usually take it or leave it. But he seems legitimately cool. Also, fun fact: I asked him a super random question about a game he had against an area team in high school, and he confirmed he did indeed once score 16 points, grab 25 rebounds, and draw 6 charges in the same game. Is that not the ultimate essence of Shane Battier?