PDA

View Full Version : Which NBA players did not make their High School team?

iDunk
12-23-2009, 03:05 PM
I know Michael Jordan, obviously. But who else is known to not make their High School team?

H2whoa
12-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Allen Iverson didn't play his senior year. I know that has nothing to do with MAKING the team, but still interesting.
Anyways, sorry no answer to the original question.

mattevans11
12-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Allen Iverson didn't play his senior year. I know that has nothing to do with MAKING the team, but still interesting.
Anyways, sorry no answer to the original question.

his high school team probably asked him to sit out just like his last three pro teams have decided.......

this guy needs to go to europe...seriously

iDunk
12-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Tyrus Thomas up until junior year and David Robinson up until Senior Year.
Did they not try out, or just didn't make it?

MeLO MvP 15
12-23-2009, 05:03 PM
well supposedly its not that MJ didnt make the team in High school, its that he tried out for varsity as a freshman, they said no, and then either there was no JV or he didnt wna play in it... so ya he didnt make the team as a freshman

twolvesfan
12-23-2009, 05:05 PM
well supposedly its not that MJ didnt make the team in High school, its that he tried out for varsity as a freshman, they said no, and then either there was no JV or he didnt wna play in it... so ya he didnt make the team as a freshman
Michael Jordan did make his high school team in his senior year though

ProfessorMurder
12-23-2009, 05:07 PM

I'm pretty sure he played JV.

darius15
12-23-2009, 05:10 PM
his high school team probably asked him to sit out just like his last three pro teams have decided.......

this guy needs to go to europe...seriously

if i remember correctly, he didn't play because he got arrested in highschool, it was a big racial issue as well, and so the governor of virginia granted him clemency, but said he couldn't play any sports in his senior year.

nice try though.

STATmanLAKERFAN
12-23-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty sure he played JV.

Yes, I'm pretty sure he did and he averaged a triple while playing on the JV team.

ProfessorMurder
12-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Yes, I'm pretty sure he did and he averaged a triple while playing on the JV team.

He even mentioned it in his hall of fame speech. Saying he wanted to show that he deserved that spot on varsity.

Bodin
12-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Jordan made the junior team when he was a junior and the senior team when he was a senior. It's supposed to be a big deal that he didn't make the senior team when he was a junior.

... Isn't that the way it went?

ProfessorMurder
12-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Jordan made the junior team when he was a junior and the senior team when he was a senior. It's supposed to be a big deal that he didn't make the senior team when he was a junior.

... Isn't that the way it went?

No, he was cut by varsity freshman year and played JV. Then played varsity every year after that.

DOMINATOR
12-23-2009, 06:32 PM
hakeem olajuwon didn't pick up a basketball until he was 16. does that count?

ProfessorMurder
12-23-2009, 06:38 PM
hakeem olajuwon didn't pick up a basketball until he was 16. does that count?

Mutombo didn't play until he was 17. :pimp:

ProfessorMurder
12-23-2009, 07:23 PM
actually jordan played on JV as a sophomore as well.

My bad.

Rake2204
12-23-2009, 11:03 PM
actually jordan played on JV as a sophomore as well.
There ya go. I don't have facts, but that was the story I've heard (no varsity as a sophomore, only JV - then varsity thereafter).

Zak
12-24-2009, 01:51 AM
I heard that Jordan's school only had one team and sophmores weren't usually allowed on varsity and they only made the exception for that one tall guy, i forgot his name..

But chris paul didnt play varsity till junior year.

highwhey
12-24-2009, 01:18 PM
He even mentioned it in his hall of fame speech. Saying he wanted to show that he deserved that spot on varsity.
well he showed them, didnt he?

VanillaThunder
12-24-2009, 01:49 PM
I am probably one of the biggest Jordan fans alive, but I think this story has kind of taken on an identity of its own lol. Its just blown way out of proportion. Most people's recollection of it involves Jordan not playing basketball at all for 1-3 years of high school lol.

KingJay718
12-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Sprewell only played two seasons of HS basketball. That's not bad.

Phenith
12-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Sprewell only played two seasons of HS basketball. That's not bad.

He wanted too much money to play the other years.