PDA

View Full Version : My Vertical

Underballer
01-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Im a bit above 5 foot 8 and if the highest i can reach when i jump is the backboard alittle bit above the padding. Is this good?

LebrickJames84'
01-04-2010, 12:57 AM
Im a bit above 5 foot 8 and if the highest i can reach when i jump is the backboard alittle bit above the padding. Is this good?

depends how old you are really. Your looking at anywhere from a 25-30 inch vertical.

Kumo
01-04-2010, 12:57 AM
Not really. If you want to improve though just ask, or look through this section... tons of good information.

Underballer
01-04-2010, 01:02 AM
im in gr.10

Underballer
01-04-2010, 01:08 AM
http://d3f8w3yx9w99q2.cloudfront.net/931/official-glass-basketball-backboard/official-glass-basketball-backboard_0_400x360.jpg
I can just touch above the grey part on the bottom of the backboard

NotYetGreat
01-04-2010, 02:42 AM
http://d3f8w3yx9w99q2.cloudfront.net/931/official-glass-basketball-backboard/official-glass-basketball-backboard_0_400x360.jpg
I can just touch above the grey part on the bottom of the backboard

Almost the same with me, except I can reach just a bit higher and I have an inch on you. Your vert is probably around 23-24 inches right now. I read somewhere that the average for guys my age (15) is actually 17, but these are for regular guys. Not necessarily athletes. However, if you're around 13 or 14 years old, then that's pretty good.

LebrickJames84'
01-04-2010, 03:04 AM
Almost the same with me, except I can reach just a bit higher and I have an inch on you. Your vert is probably around 23-24 inches right now. I read somewhere that the average for guys my age (15) is actually 17, but these are for regular guys. Not necessarily athletes. However, if you're around 13 or 14 years old, then that's pretty good.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2009/03/backboard.jpg

could be a rim with a lower backboard.

Splitz77
01-04-2010, 05:08 AM
Not really. My sophmore year i could touch the bottom of the rim. Now that im a senior, I can get about a good 5-6 inches above the rim..Just keep workin at it..you'll get a good vert sooner or later..

liljohnnywall
01-04-2010, 05:31 AM
Not really. My sophmore year i could touch the bottom of the rim. Now that im a senior, I can get about a good 5-6 inches above the rim..Just keep workin at it..you'll get a good vert sooner or later..

can you dunk?

halffttime
01-04-2010, 06:51 AM
haha sounds EXACTLY like me back in 9/10th grade. i was like around 5'8 too @ 195-200lbs lol..

NotYetGreat
01-04-2010, 07:51 AM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2009/03/backboard.jpg

could be a rim with a lower backboard.

Could be. From the pic, though, it seems pretty much like what I based mine on.

Underballer
01-04-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm about 5 foot 8, 110 pounds. I've never noticed that im not as athletic as others until this year cause people shorter than me can already touch rim.

Automajic23
01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm about 5 foot 8, 110 pounds. I've never noticed that im not as athletic as others until this year cause people shorter than me can already touch rim.

5'8 and touching glass is still a relatively good vertical, if the backboard has a high cutoff. (some backboards extend almost a foot below the rim)

Swaggin916
01-05-2010, 12:50 AM
Is it good? No... is it terrible? No. It's pretty average. As with everyone, it depends on your reach. If your reach stinks then you could be jumping high but not getting high on the rim because your reach is short.

but yea those guys with 17 inch verts are the guys who sit at home and play video games or guitar all day... they don't do anything to stimulate their muscles so there verts are terrible. Average running vert for a High School athlete is probably around 30 or so... standing probably like 26-27. A good athlete will be 35 or higher so shoot for that and hope you get higher.

Automajic23
01-05-2010, 12:34 PM
it is important to practice your jumping and work on your vert. Focusing too much on the numbers and your exact vert wont matter if you cant take off from any angles.

I find a lot of times I never get up as high in games because I'll rarely get the perfect pass or my steps to taking off will be altered by the defense. Don't worry about how high you can jump on paper, but keep working on it. Quick jumps are important in game play as well as getting up as high as you can from any angle.

Maga_1
01-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm 19 years old, i'm 5'9 point guard and i'm 140 pounds ..
When i jump with two feets i can touch easily the backboard ..
When i jump with my right leg i touch the rim easily.
When i jump with my left leg i touch the backboard hardly.
(Yes i'm left handed).

What do you think about it?
Do you know more or less my vertical?

delux
01-13-2010, 07:57 PM
what up guys Ive been doin some training called the jump revolution...been on it for 2 months and gained 8 inches so far...check it out!

www.thejumprevolution.com

IInvented
01-21-2010, 03:10 PM
can you dunk?
no shit sherlock if he said he can touch 5-6 inches above the rim, you think he can dunk?

Swaggin916
01-21-2010, 07:23 PM
no shit sherlock if he said he can touch 5-6 inches above the rim, you think he can dunk?

Yea that doesn't mean he can dunk... quite the opposite actually. You have to be about 7 inches above the rim to dunk and if you are 5-6 inches above the rim without a ball... chances are that he is only 2-3 inches above it with on since you won't jump as high with a ball in your hand/extend as much or whatever it is.

So uh yea... maybe you should get ya facts straight before you start running someone down.

lilojmayo
01-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Everybody is so chill here compared to OTC
listen to Swaggin he knows what he is talking about.

Even I was doing everything totally wrong until just 2 weeks ago. And i am already so much faster, more explosive, jump higher than I have done before. I was doing low weight high reps which is a big NO NO :no: . all of the last 6 months when i started playing alot again. Until 2 weeks ago when i read this article on the Memphis Tigers Basketball trainer. It was the vertical workout Derrick Rose/CDR/Dorsey and all them did in college. I have only been doing it for 2 weeks and i am faster, more explosive, a better leaper then before. Basically what he said was as swaggin said.

You need 4 things to increase vert.

Power- Olympic Lifts

Strength- Not how big you are, but you actually strength output. To improve strength you need to lift a lot of weight low reps. 3-5 reps for 3 sets. Squats, Deadlifts, Calf raisers those type.

Maximum Jump effort- Plyos basically. box jumps, lunge jumps etc

Reactive Jumps- Depth Jumps, Squat Jumps .

I have been doing it for 2 weeks now 3-4 times a week. It works it really does take you to the next level athletically. Though only do it if your vertical is over 30 inch already. If it isn't do all those body weight programs until your legs are strong enough to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJNErUAftz4

here are a few random clips
Besides the pick up game which was 1.5 months ago, the rest we like 9 months ago when i just started playing ball again after stopping for 2 years, i was so not explosive like i am now especially after doing that workout the last 2 weeks. A prime example of if you don't use it you loose it. Don't stop balling for years stretches.

Underballer
02-07-2010, 04:30 AM
k, my vertical is terrible, i can only barely touch glass on a backboard without a cutoff. probably like 15 inches? Need some help

LebronairJAMES
02-07-2010, 04:58 AM
hey lil mayo thanks for the info but i cant watch your video it says its private how can i watch it??

Rake2204
02-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm 19 years old, i'm 5'9 point guard and i'm 140 pounds ..
When i jump with two feets i can touch easily the backboard ..
When i jump with my right leg i touch the rim easily.
When i jump with my left leg i touch the backboard hardly.
(Yes i'm left handed).

What do you think about it?
Do you know more or less my vertical?
I'd say you'd want to someone to help measure your standing reach. After that's been established, maybe you could measure the highest point you can reach on the backboard via two foot vertical. The difference between your standing reach and the spot on the backboard you touched would provide a vertical number.

If you want someone to eyeball it, I have a relatively short reach for my height (95'' for 6'3'') so if I took an inch off reach for every inch of height until I met your 5'9'', you'd have about an 89'' standing reach.

An estimation is that standard NBA/College backboards may begin around 9'2''. Some backboards extend even further than that. So, if you had an 89'' standing reach (with some research, that appears realistic for a player your height) and you could just graze a backboard standing at 9'2'' (or 110 inches) that would mean you have a vertical of 21 inches.

However, the variance would come in if your reach is less than 89'' (let's say 86'') and if you could reach up a 9'2'' backboard by a couple inches (say to 9'6'' or 114 inches). This would make a large difference in your vertical result (28'' instead of 21''). Long story short, you are best served measuring things out.

Swaggin916
02-08-2010, 11:11 PM
95 inches is 7'11... if you aren't black it's about average. I have a friend who is 6'2 and his reach is 7'10 (94 inches) ... and I'm 5'11 and have a 7'7 (91 inches) and both of us are white... So it's just and inch of reach per inch of height.

Rake2204
02-10-2010, 04:31 PM
95 inches is 7'11...it's about average. I have a friend who is 6'2 and his reach is 7'10 (94 inches) ... and I'm 5'11 and have a 7'7 (91 inches) and both of us are white... So it's just and inch of reach per inch of height.
Sounds good to me. I was just going off of the results from a free agent camp I attended. Turns out there's 12 billion 6'3'' guards out there trying to make it. Out of all the guys the same height as me, I had the lowest standing reach, so that's where I got the idea I might be below average.

Swaggin916
02-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Sounds good to me. I was just going off of the results from a free agent camp I attended. Turns out there's 12 billion 6'3'' guards out there trying to make it. Out of all the guys the same height as me, I had the lowest standing reach, so that's where I got the idea I might be below average.

Were most of them black? Are you not black? If that's the case that is your answer right there. Black people have longer arms than white people more often then not (tend to carry quite a bit less bodyfat too)... and a lot of the times they are a lot longer.

Take thee 2009 NBA combine measurements for example: Chase Budinger stands at 6'6.25 with no shoes on and a vertical reach of 8'5. Wayne Ellington was the only other player who was at least 6'4 to have a reach lower than that (6'4.25 and a 8'4 standing reach.) Then you have guys like Tyreke Evans who is 6'4 with an 8'8 vertical reach. He is more than 2 inches shorter yet has a reach 3 inches higher than Budinger. This is just one example... but it's seen over and over again. I believe this to be one of main proponents why basketball is dominated by black people. On average, they are just longer than other races, and length really helps in basketball. There are plenty of reasons though don't get me wrong, this is just one of them.

carpevicis
02-17-2010, 11:44 AM
I have a really bad vertical, like 24 inches or so, and I don't have long arms... I can just barely get the rubber on the backboard posted earlier.

With that said, I'm doing the vertical jump bible programs and afterwards I plan to do vertical mastery.

Do you guys know if doing 2 programs one after the other will still provide good results? My goal is to touch rim by next summer.

Swaggin916
02-17-2010, 03:12 PM
I have a really bad vertical, like 24 inches or so, and I don't have long arms... I can just barely get the rubber on the backboard posted earlier.

With that said, I'm doing the vertical jump bible programs and afterwards I plan to do vertical mastery.

Do you guys know if doing 2 programs one after the other will still provide good results? My goal is to touch rim by next summer.

Well just make sure you rest at least week before starting Vertical Mastery... Otherwise there is no problem with it at all. See which one you like better. You can always do programs over again too.

emsteez forreal
02-17-2010, 03:46 PM
shit, i'm 6'2 and i can wrap my fingers around the rim on good days and i'm white. i'm not happy with that at all though.

devin34harris
02-24-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm 6'1" and I just started dunking this year. I can easily go up and dunk it with one hand off of one leg. I never worked on my hops, its all natural. I'm really kind of amazed because I didn't play ball for about a month. And I came back and just dunked it.

Ballerforlife34
03-10-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm 5'10 with a 90inch reach and on a good day I can rap like the first half of my fingers around the rim. So I have like a 32inch vert, but yea this summer I'm doing the jump manual which should get me dunking!

Button
03-11-2010, 03:07 AM
Ok guys i got a question, im 6 foot 4 and im 195 lbs, with my hand i can get around 5- 10 cm above the rim, im 19 year old.
Is this good, and do you guys have any tips to improve this?

Sticks
03-11-2010, 04:04 AM
Ok guys i got a question, im 6 foot 4 and im 195 lbs, with my hand i can get around 5- 10 cm above the rim, im 19 year old.
Is this good, and do you guys have any tips to improve this?

Depending on your reach your vertical sounds around the same as mine. Around 30 inches. Which is quite good.

Improvement can come from doing targeted weight lifting, following a jump programm, doing plyometrics or just keep training and training and eventually you'll get there. You're still young so you're bound to improve.

Button
03-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Depending on your reach your vertical sounds around the same as mine. Around 30 inches. Which is quite good.

Improvement can come from doing targeted weight lifting, following a jump programm, doing plyometrics or just keep training and training and eventually you'll get there. You're still young so you're bound to improve.

Well im still training 2 times a week + i do the p90x training programm 4 times a week, it has a plyometrics programm, wich im planning to do 2 days a week more often.
when the weather gets better, ill be playing outside more. my goal is to start dunking this year

Sticks
03-11-2010, 05:01 AM
Well im still training 2 times a week + i do the p90x training programm 4 times a week, it has a plyometrics programm, wich im planning to do 2 days a week more often.
when the weather gets better, ill be playing outside more. my goal is to start dunking this year

You'll get there then. I didn't get to dunking untill I was a year older then you because I wasn't really focussed on it. It just sort of came to me, ran a fastbreak, took up and want to lay it up and suddenly I realised I was dunking. Couldn't do it anymore for a few weeks after but it came in the flow of training.

I started doing some excercises during that off-season just like I'm planning on doing now. Working out my complete legs with leg pressing and squats. It's more to help me with rebounding then dunking though.

And a last piece of advice, be carefull when doing jumping exercises etc. on the blacktop. You don't want to end up with shin splints or other injuries.

Button
03-11-2010, 05:10 AM
You'll get there then. I didn't get to dunking untill I was a year older then you because I wasn't really focussed on it. It just sort of came to me, ran a fastbreak, took up and want to lay it up and suddenly I realised I was dunking. Couldn't do it anymore for a few weeks after but it came in the flow of training.

I started doing some excercises during that off-season just like I'm planning on doing now. Working out my complete legs with leg pressing and squats. It's more to help me with rebounding then dunking though.

And a last piece of advice, be carefull when doing jumping exercises etc. on the blacktop. You don't want to end up with shin splints or other injuries.

Ye i hope to make it, but rebouding is a small part of my game, but it should become a big part.
Because i am the tallest player on my team, getting the rebound should be my thing, my timing and possitioning isnt very well at the moment, but im working on it.

Sticks
03-11-2010, 05:15 AM
Ye i hope to make it, but rebouding is a small part of my game, but it should become a big part.
Because i am the tallest player on my team, getting the rebound should be my thing, my timing and possitioning isnt very well at the moment, but im working on it.

Rebounding drills are the most fun you can have with your team in my opinion.

If you want to practice yourself do some back-board tapping with the ball. It'll help your jumping and timing. And concerning positioning, as long as you box out it's all good.

Button
03-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Rebounding drills are the most fun you can have with your team in my opinion.

If you want to practice yourself do some back-board tapping with the ball. It'll help your jumping and timing. And concerning positioning, as long as you box out it's all good.

Yeah i know we have some exercises where the coach shoots the ball, and we have to fight for the ball with 3 persons, and everything goes, till 1 person scores the ball, its very nice.

Sticks
03-11-2010, 05:36 AM
Also if you're the big guy on your team make sure you're working on your 2-legged jump and your dropstep. You're going to be fighting down-low when you come and play with the big-boys.

Button
03-11-2010, 05:41 AM
My post play is nothing to wright home about i prefer to take an oudside shot, but for the sake of my team, i do practise it.
Haven't worked on a drop step yet that much, more trying to make leaners, and small fade-aways, not so far that i fall with my back on the ground, but far enough so i can shoot over the defender, this is going well.
My 2 legged jump is very weak, i can prob touch the rim barelly.
But yeah working on my jumping skills, is a priority for me atm

Sticks
03-11-2010, 05:50 AM
My post play is nothing to wright home about i prefer to take an oudside shot, but for the sake of my team, i do practise it.
Haven't worked on a drop step yet that much, more trying to make leaners, and small fade-aways, not so far that i fall with my back on the ground, but far enough so i can shoot over the defender, this is going well.
My 2 legged jump is very weak, i can prob touch the rim barelly.
But yeah working on my jumping skills, is a priority for me atm

You're just going to have to get used to banging down low. I have the advantage of being a shooter a la Ray Allen but I go into the post when I have a smaller guy on me.

That's slightly lower then I get on the rim with 2 legs but it's not that bad. The most important thing will be going up with power. We always have lay-up/power-move lines where the coach is intentionally fouling you on the way to the basket.

Swaggin916
03-11-2010, 03:55 PM
[quote]
And a last piece of advice, be carefull when doing jumping exercises etc. on the blacktop. You don't want to end up with shin splints or other injuries.[quote]

YES. Avoid doing plyos on blacktop. It messed up my knee bigtime. If you do plyos, do them on the grass, a padded surface, or an indoor court. Blacktop and concrete are the worst surfaces you can do them on.

Button and Sticks... a 30 inch vert is average at best. 34-35 is good... and 37+ is fantastic. Both of you need to work on your Leg strength as well. That will really help with your 2 leg jump and standing vert. Good luck to both of you guys. Plyos by themselves only work for people who have natural bounce... you need to get lifting too if you really want to improve.

5foot6
03-11-2010, 11:01 PM
[quote]
And a last piece of advice, be carefull when doing jumping exercises etc. on the blacktop. You don't want to end up with shin splints or other injuries.[quote]

YES. Avoid doing plyos on blacktop. It messed up my knee bigtime. If you do plyos, do them on the grass, a padded surface, or an indoor court. Blacktop and concrete are the worst surfaces you can do them on.

Button and Sticks... a 30 inch vert is average at best. 34-35 is good... and 37+ is fantastic. Both of you need to work on your Leg strength as well. That will really help with your 2 leg jump and standing vert. Good luck to both of you guys. Plyos by themselves only work for people who have natural bounce... you need to get lifting too if you really want to improve.

does playing basketball on blacktop a lot wear down your knees? someone told me that once. but i play at the park almost everyday, and it hasnt done anything to me.

Swaggin916
03-12-2010, 12:52 AM
[QUOTE=Swaggin916][quote]

does playing basketball on blacktop a lot wear down your knees? someone told me that once. but i play at the park almost everyday, and it hasn't done anything to me.

Just wait til you get older. You can do almost anything when your still growing and you'll be fine. However, playing b-ball is not as hardcore as intense plyos though. I could have probably played b-ball twice a week for the hour or so that I did plyos and been totally fine... I would monitor that though. Try to find someplace you can play indoors when you can drive.

OC_09
03-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Hey swaggin, I need your help man. Could you help me make a workout routine in the weights room? I'm 5'9, 160 pounds and I play college basketball and basically I play point guard. I'm planning to do a VJB program too. Could you help me make a 3x a week workout program? Thanks in advance man!

Sticks
03-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Hey swaggin, I need your help man. Could you help me make a workout routine in the weights room? I'm 5'9, 160 pounds and I play college basketball and basically I play point guard. I'm planning to do a VJB program too. Could you help me make a 3x a week workout program? Thanks in advance man!

It would be much better for you to go to the gym and talk with a local trainer. They can give you much advice specified for your bodytype.

EliteBaller56
03-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Im 5'11 and 13 in the 7th grade. I come like an inch from the bottom of the backboard..my leap is 19 inches

Swaggin916
03-12-2010, 03:41 PM

First of all, I wouldn't have you do a 3X a week lower body program no matter what your body type is. An intense plyo/heavy lifting program shouldn't be done any more than twice a week, and I think once a week is the right amount.

Basically what you do, is 3-8 super explosive reps per movement. You already have half of the info right there. Now, it just comes down to what exercises and how many sets of them you do.

A program would look something like this

Dynamic stretching: Butt kickers, leg swings, arm circles etc. to help your body warm and muscles stretched out for an intense workout.

High Object touches: 3 sets X 6 reps. Find object (a bball hoop for example) and just jump as high as you can and see how high you can touch. I think this is a simple (but great) exercise to help really get yourself going in the workout and it helps with jumping form.

Depth Jumps: 3 sets X 5 reps - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teyc5pxc_ These are fantastic for building reactive strength which helps to get that bounce quicker. The quicker you can bounce, the higher you will get.

Triple jump: 2 sets X 1 - Like the ones you see in track. This is a good exercise because like every other exercise I am giving you, it's very explosive, but it helps with 1 leg explosion. I guarantee you after 2 months of this program if you aren't a 2 foot jumper right now, you will become one. That's just the way it works unless you are an insane specimen like Lebron, Shannon Brown, etc. and have insane natural bounce off 1 leg like.

20 yard dash: 2 sets - Simple 20 yard dash. Sprint for 20 yards as fast as you can.

Pro Agility Drill: 2 sets - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czv6v29pCc8 Basically just put 3 objects down 5 yards from each other, start out in the middle, and then do what the guy did in the video. This helps with change of direction which is much more important than straight line speed in basketball. A lot of routines don't have this exercise, but it's very explosive and basketball relative.

Ok so those are the plyometrics. You shouldn't be feeling tired at this point... instead you should be feeling like you do after a pickup game to 12... ya know that point where you feel like you can jump out of the gym. If you don't feel quite like that, but still explosive, that's fine. You certainly don't want to be anything close to burnt out at this point though because you have weight training next. If you feel burnt out, cut back on the sets. BTW you should be resting at least 2 minutes in between sets. Ok now onto the weight training.

Squats: 3 sets X 5 reps (do a couple of warmup sets first increasing the weight so when you do the weight you can only do 5 reps of it doesn't feel like a million pounds).

Step Ups: 3 X 6 reps (with dumbells) - find a bench where you can step up onto it. I do one leg at a time... so step on, the off, then repeat with that same leg for 6 reps. Alternating legs in between reps is counter productive in my opinion... it takes too long and begins to focus more on stamina than explosion.

Hamstring curls: 3 X 6 reps - I like the ones where you lay on your stomach and curl the weight to your butt... but you can also do the ones where you are sitting down and curling the weight to the floor.

Double leg calf raises 2 X 8
Single leg calf raises 2 X 8

Both calf raises should be done very explosively and with relatively light weight. I like to bend my knees a little and then explode up onto my toes to simulate a jump. The weight will be light, but it will still burn even after only 8 reps.

OK that is a typical vertical jump increasing program. If you did that for a month, you'd probably gain 2-4 inches on your vert. I would take 2 weeks off after that and then start up a similar routine but with a few different exercises to keep the body in a state of shock (It's going to be shocked as shit though if you have never done this type of workout before though). Feel free to try it if you wish. Once a week for a month should not give you any sort of knee pain... that is the main problem with these kinds of programs, they can really mess up your knees if you aren't careful. So always be alert and listen to your body. Never do this workout during basketball season. It's strictly an off season routine. I would just focus on shooting, handling, and other low intensity exercises to keep your game up for the month that you do this... avoid high intensity games. Messing around with some friends is fine, but rest is so important with this program. You nest rest to recover and rebuild. Make sure you are taking in a lot of protein too... you are going to need it.

OC_09
03-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks a lot for the help man. How bout for my upper body workout what would you suggest I would do and how often? By the way, I'm from the Philippines and there are few people that I could really ask for help here. Thanks again!

Swaggin916
03-13-2010, 02:38 AM
Do you have access to a gym with weights everyday?

AJ2k8
03-13-2010, 04:19 AM
I know you've probably answered this a few times by now but if that workout is an off-season workout is there any workouts that can be done during the basketball season to improve vertical?:cheers:

EliteBaller56
03-13-2010, 04:48 AM
I know you've probably answered this a few times by now but if that workout is an off-season workout is there any workouts that can be done during the basketball season to improve vertical?:cheers:

Yeah.
20 Calf Raises
10 Monkey Jumps
10 per leg Single Leg Tucks
And 12 Step Ups for each leg

OC_09
03-13-2010, 06:00 AM
Yeah I have access to a gym and I think most of the equipment that I would need for weight-lifting are there.

Swaggin916
03-13-2010, 01:02 PM

Not really. The constant beating you are putting on your body through all the practices and games will prevent you from making any significant gains. It's best to just wait until you have a few of months to dedicate solely to increasing your vertical jump. The gains you make during those months will most likely whittle down during the season... but your vert still will be higher than it was before you started training. When the next off season comes around, train your vert again... and the cycle continues until your vert is always good.

Actually, I think hitting a heavy set of squats a week would be good for you in season. By doing that, you should be able to maintain some of your strength and you'll still have the motion down. So yea... a set or 2 of squats and maybe a set of Step-ups would probably be just fine.

Yeah I have access to a gym and I think most of the equipment that I would need for weight-lifting are there.

Well what is your goal? Are you looking to build power? strength? endurance? all 3? How much weight are you looking to gain? There are so many different ways to train upper body. Training for power will make you gain the most weight and size, training for strength will get you the most muscular definition, and endurance training will get you long lean muscles like a swimmer that can go for days. Are you wanting to do something that's best for basketball? If that is the case, mostly endurance training is the way you want to go.

OC_09
03-14-2010, 02:04 AM
I think I need all that but more on power and endurance. I want to improve my explosiveness inside the court and be stronger especially when I am against bigger point guards. Basketball season starts in about three months. Thanks in advance!

Swaggin916
03-14-2010, 06:54 PM
I think I need all that but more on power and endurance. I want to improve my explosiveness inside the court and be stronger especially when I am against bigger point guards. Basketball season starts in about three months. Thanks in advance!

That's great. You have 3 months to kick your ass that is solid amount of time.

Ok heres an upper body program you can do.

Day 1: Chest and Back

Plyometric pushups: 2 X 6 - It's basically a pushup, but you push yourself up in the air as high as you can. If you have seen clap pushups, it's basically the same thing... you can clap if you want, cross your arms on your chest... whatever you want while you are up in the air. You won't feel too tired after this... you'll feel like you can do more. That's exactly how you want to feel

Dumbell Bench Press: 4 X 5 - do a couple warms up sets first working your way up to a weight you can only do 5 times. Once you get to that weight, do that weight for 4 sets. If you can only do 5 reps for the first set, that is fine, just get as much as you can for the next 3. So maybe you get 5 reps, 4 reps, 3 reps, then 2 reps on each respective set... that is perfectly fine. Never lower the weight... you are focusing on power and the heavier the weight the more power you will generate.

Barbell rows: 2 X 6 - get a weight that you can probably do 12-15 reps... Do it for 6 very explosive reps.

Single arm DB rows: 4 X 8 reps

Ok so that's those are the power sets, now we are going to do a bigtime super-set to help with endurance. What you do, is alternate between each exercise without any rest. So say you do a set of 25 of cable flys... you immediately go to the cable row machine and do 25 reps of that... and then go back to the flys... then back to the cable rows... and you do that for 4 sets. By the time you are finished with the last sets... you will probably only be getting 10 reps or so because you will be so burnt out (you will be doing the same weight for every set though).

So the exercises you will be doing for today's endurance super-set is Cable flys and cable row machine (just like in the example). Start out with a weight you can do about 25 times... and of like I said, your reps will decrease as you go throughout this monster set because you won't have much rest and start to get tired.

Day 2: Shoulders and traps

Standing Barbell Shoulder press: 2 X 6 - same thing you did with the Barbell rows... a weight you can do 12-15 times but the reps are done very explosively.

DB shoulder Press: 4 X 5 reps

Barbell Shrugs: 2 X 6 reps - (yup the explosive reps)

DB shrugs: 4 X 8 reps -

Ok and for your endurance set today... do lateral DB raises and and barbell shrugs.

Day 3: Biceps and triceps

Biceps and triceps are single joint muscles and shouldn't be worked out explosively... They will be hard on the tendons and it's just not an effective way to train them. So, with these muscles, you will notice the reps are higher for your first sets.

EZ bar curls: 3 X 12

DB curls: 3 X 12

Skullcrushers: 3 X 12

1 arm overhead DB (stands for dumbell by the way) raise: 3 X 12

Your endurance set will be the sitting bicep curl machine (every gym has one) and tricep pulldowns.

You week should look something like this

Monday: Chest and Back

Tuesday: Legs

Wednesday: Shoulders and Traps

Thursday: off

Friday: Biceps and Triceps

Ok that's your workout... If you have any questions feel free to ask.

EliteBaller56
03-15-2010, 12:44 AM
You know you guys can find exercises with or without weights on http://www.myfit.ca/fitnessprograms/viewall.asp?contains=free_fitness_programs

I use it all the time. I got explosive shoulders and calfs from it

OC_09
03-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks a lot for that man! I'm really excited to start that program especially for the super-set. Haha! For the leg workout, I'm going to do the first program you gave me right? For how long would I do the these programs? And by the way, I'm not quite familiar with triple jump exercise. How is it done? Thanks again!!!

Swaggin916
03-15-2010, 10:43 PM
No problem man.

Yes you are going to do the first program I gave you for legs. Do these programs for the next 2.5 months. A couple weeks before basketball starts go ahead and stop, and rest for those last 2 weeks. You can continue the upper body program if you want actually, but no more legs. Actually, after a month of doing the leg workout, go ahead and stop for 2 weeks (this is intense training and your legs will need rest after about a month). At that point (after the 2 weeks of rest) you will be 1.5 months into it. Start the leg program back up again for the last month and then stop after another month (at that point you will be 2.5 months into it). You should see some serious gains. Hopefully you stick with the program and you will have some good things to tell me. I expect you to gain anywhere from 3-6 inches on your vert and you will be quicker and faster than ever before... and on your upper body you should see some good results, but upper body doesn't respond as quickly as lower body so don't expect to be totally ripped or anything lol... but you can expect to be much stronger and better conditioned than before.

Triple jump: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cZVTSPfbdc ... Don't lollygag through it like that guy did though. It's an explosive exercise.

methd
03-16-2010, 02:42 AM
do you have to do the weightlifting right after the jumping for the leg workout??

i want to use the workout too but the gym i got to doesnt have a basketball court or some place where i can sprint

Button
03-16-2010, 07:47 AM
[quote]

How do you mean this, like squads with weights?

Swaggin916
03-17-2010, 02:58 AM
do you have to do the weightlifting right after the jumping for the leg workout??

i want to use the workout too but the gym i got to doesnt have a basketball court or some place where i can sprint

I'm sure there is some grass somewhere near your gym... just find some open grass and do everything there and then go in the gym and do the weightlifting. The answer is yes though you need to do it all in one session for it to be the most effective.

How do you mean this, like squads with weights?

yes squats with weights. Heavy weights.

Fallguy20
03-17-2010, 03:34 AM
Middle of the square. I know a guy who can put two hands at the top of the square. Needless to say, he dunks like Dwight

BaByBrON
03-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Ok...so im 17, 5 foot 11, I used to only be a two legged jumper, but i worked so now im really comfortable with one leg. (left one. im a righty). I have a 28 inches standing vert, idk when i run. I grab da rim easy, at every try and i can dunk a volley ball. My coach is really confident with da fact dat i will dunk this year, cuz i can put da ball above da rim, but it always hits da back of it. :( But yea...my point is i really need help!! Preferably stuff without weights. Thx!

Button
03-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Ok...so im 17, 5 foot 11, I used to only be a two legged jumper, but i worked so now im really comfortable with one leg. (left one. im a righty). I have a 28 inches standing vert, idk when i run. I grab da rim easy, at every try and i can dunk a volley ball. My coach is really confident with da fact dat i will dunk this year, cuz i can put da ball above da rim, but it always hits da back of it. :( But yea...my point is i really need help!! Preferably stuff without weights. Thx!

i could use the same advice, without heavy weights, only got some 1 handed weights with max weight of 9kg and i aint in the possition to buy a 2 handed.

Swaggin916
03-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Well you guys will improve a lot more with weights.. just letting you know, but if you want strictly plyos then pretty much all you need to focus on are box jumps and depth jumps. You can do each with one leg if you want to focus on your one leg jump, but there is a greater risk for injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teyc5pxc_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK11KovyaP8

You can do them with light dumbells too like Brandon Roy here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyPQAENLEFM

There are other exercises you can do, but those are the best and the ones you should focus on. You only do 1 or 2 reps per set. It won't feel like you are getting a workout conditioning wise, but that's not what you want anyway. You can do 5 sets or so of each once a week. I'd do them when you have a least a day off afterward.

Button
03-19-2010, 04:54 AM
Well you guys will improve a lot more with weights.. just letting you know, but if you want strictly plyos then pretty much all you need to focus on are box jumps and depth jumps. You can do each with one leg if you want to focus on your one leg jump, but there is a greater risk for injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teyc5pxc_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK11KovyaP8

You can do them with light dumbells too like Brandon Roy here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyPQAENLEFM

There are other exercises you can do, but those are the best and the ones you should focus on. You only do 1 or 2 reps per set. It won't feel like you are getting a workout conditioning wise, but that's not what you want anyway. You can do 5 sets or so of each once a week. I'd do them when you have a least a day off afterward.

ok thnx alot man

BaByBrON
03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Yea bro! Thx a lot. :P

Underballer
03-28-2010, 02:36 AM
woot, i can touch pretty high now :applause:

Birmingham1955
03-31-2010, 08:40 PM
woot, i can touch pretty high now :applause:
how much higher

Underballer
04-03-2010, 04:22 PM
can touch the orange thing that supports the rim

PhiSlamaJama
04-04-2010, 04:24 AM
OK, anyone want to help me?

I'm 18, 5'10", in decent shape and I'm pretty fast. However, I had ACL surgery a couple of years ago and since then have pretty much lost all my leap to the point where I can barely touch the rim. I was able to (just) dunk before my surgery and I'd like to be able to get back to that.

What do you guys recommend? For some reason, I haven't lost a lot of speed but I have lost my vertical.

Swaggin916
04-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Read this thread and the "by July 3rd next year I will be dunking" thread. You will get just about all of the info you will need as to how to increase vert.

but in a sentence, in order to increase vertical, you have to increase explosiveness... Heavy ass weights (squats, deadlifts, stepups, etc.) and some plyos to compliment is how you do it.

lilojmayo
04-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Middle of the square. I know a guy who can put two hands at the top of the square. Needless to say, he dunks like Dwight

yeah our middle school/junior high gym had measurements on the side. The top of square was like 11'4 ft was around there. My friend 6'4 could hit it. We call him leapfrog.

ballzytees
04-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Here's a little motivation for dunking:

http://rlv.zcache.com/feelin_me_tshirt-p2358429506408703481f52_325.jpg

This and other streetball tees available at www.ballzytees.com

Swaggin916
04-13-2010, 02:44 AM
Man that shirt is funny too... drop them prices man and I'll buy one.